WANNA PLAY KOF vs. actual SNK marketing - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1215 Views )

user profileedit/delete message
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"WANNA PLAY KOF vs. actual SNK marketing" , posted Sat 27 Feb 02:14post reply

DeepFake + KOF 98 intro audio + some goofy Shinkiro image + video editing

It's one thing that a silly meme managed to gain some traction, and flinging technology at memes is nothing new, but it's pretty amazing how cutting edge this is when compared to actual SNK marketing.

Replies:

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(1):WANNA PLAY KOF vs. actual SNK marketing" , posted Sun 28 Feb 04:41:post reply

quote:
DeepFake + KOF 98 intro audio + some goofy Shinkiro image + video editing

It's one thing that a silly meme managed to gain some traction, and flinging technology at memes is nothing new, but it's pretty amazing how cutting edge this is when compared to actual SNK marketing.

Then again, isn't being low-fi part of the SNK charm? I don't dare mention this in the main SNK thread as the only person at the Cafe who's barely played KOF, but the newest KOF still looks pretty PS2 to me (and I don't mean stylized like SFV), and I've never been able to lay my finger on how they get away with it! Are they coasting in both the graphics and PR department thanks to goodwill from so many decades of fun and/or the desire to play the newest version even if older ones are better (this applies to most other fighting games I play today, admittedly!).

Maybe they can go all-in on an IMOYA PR identity since it's not technically a directly traceable reference to the Playmore days.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 28 Feb 05:36]

Professor
5854th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):WANNA PLAY KOF vs. actual SNK marketing" , posted Sun 28 Feb 16:05post reply

quote:
Then again, isn't being low-fi part of the SNK charm? I don't dare mention this in the main SNK thread as the only person at the Cafe who's barely played KOF, but the newest KOF still looks pretty PS2 to me (and I don't mean stylized like SFV), and I've never been able to lay my finger on how they get away with it! Are they coasting in both the graphics and PR department thanks to goodwill from so many decades of fun and/or the desire to play the newest version even if older ones are better (this applies to most other fighting games I play today, admittedly!).

Maybe they can go all-in on an IMOYA PR identity since it's not technically a directly traceable reference to the Playmore days.

As you guessed it's most probably the wallets of casual long-term fans that've grown old and have money over time. So while they can't really play games like they used to, they'll buy stuff to bang out their stress. And oh boy does SNK have so many merchandises to help fans out of their midlife crisis! 400$ jackets, soba/noodles, masking tape, desktop rental stand sign, you name it, they have it!

But YES it's astonishing to see how.. eh.. classic, that SNK looks with even KOF15. Admittedly, with a usual roster around 50, there's so much that the developers can spend time on each of the characters. I do wonder how their budget is, considering their share prices haven't exactly been great.

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(3):WANNA PLAY KOF vs. actual SNK marketing" , posted Mon 1 Mar 02:08post reply

quote:
As you guessed it's most probably the wallets of casual long-term fans that've grown old and have money over time. So while they can't really play games like they used to, they'll buy stuff to bang out their stress.

But YES it's astonishing to see how.. eh.. classic, that SNK looks with even KOF15. Admittedly, with a usual roster around 50, there's so much that the developers can spend time on each of the characters. I do wonder how their budget is, considering their share prices haven't exactly been great.

Makes sense, Prof! Since SNK is probably the most important uniting theme on the Cafe, it often feels like everyone in the world is following KOF no matter how weak the graphics are now, but maybe the company has been supported by a worldwide network of various small groups of enthusiasts like ours?

It would make sense, since there's so little to excite the outsider (including me!) with graphics like those in the lastest two entries. If they had all these beloved characters in Guilty Gear-quality animation, it would be WILD. Maybe that's the PR answer we've been waiting for: forget SNK vs. Capcom, try making SNK vs. Arc and watch the audience soar?!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

"Re(3):WANNA PLAY KOF vs. actual SNK marketing" , posted Tue 2 Mar 07:19post reply

quote:

As you guessed it's most probably the wallets of casual long-term fans that've grown old and have money over time. So while they can't really play games like they used to, they'll buy stuff to bang out their stress. And oh boy does SNK have so many merchandises to help fans out of their midlife crisis! 400$ jackets, soba/noodles, masking tape, [URL=https://www.snk-

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

I'm sure I wrongly associate all sorts of games that were on the Neo-Geo with SNK when they were made by somebody else, but for me the worst part about SNK being so KOF-centric in its post-Neo-Geo days is that KOF isn't even my favourite SNK thing! Nor does it reflect how SNK is in my head, which was very Capcom-like in the arcade days: Capcom wasn't just SF, it was also beat'em ups and other action games!

In the years since, Capcom's found ways to make all sorts of lovely Capcom-esque console action games that have become financially successful, while SNK... kinda hasn't. Unless that KOF Mobile gacha beat'em up is earning SNK all the money in the world....

"Re(4):WANNA PLAY KOF vs. actual SNK marketing" , posted Thu 4 Mar 01:04post reply

quote:
In the years since, Capcom's found ways to make all sorts of lovely Capcom-esque console action games that have become financially successful, while SNK... kinda hasn't

I'm surprised they haven't tried to ride off Monster Hunter's success and revive King of the Monsters. Make it the ultimate Sentai online experience and one-up Capcom's effort by having space battles.

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(5):WANNA PLAY KOF vs. actual SNK marketing" , posted Thu 4 Mar 05:12post reply

quote:
In the years since, Capcom's found ways to make all sorts of lovely Capcom-esque console action games that have become financially successful, while SNK... kinda hasn't

I'm surprised they haven't tried to ride off Monster Hunter's success and revive King of the Monsters. Make it the ultimate Sentai online experience and one-up Capcom's effort by having space battles.

I know a lot of the circumstances surrounding SNK's decisions were not entirely in their hands, but I also find it frustrating that the company eventually devolved into SNK=KoF. They used to put out all sorts of fun games. Ikari Warriors for example, a game which caused major hand cramps due to trying to trying to have a duo stick control scheme built into one stick. If the player isn't in physical pain they aren't playing a true SNK game!

When was the last time SNK tried to put out a new property? That Boku no Hero Academia knock-off?

PSN: Kusanagi82
CFN: n/a
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):WANNA PLAY KOF vs. actual SNK marketing" , posted Fri 5 Mar 06:50post reply

quote:
If the player isn't in physical pain they aren't playing a true SNK game!

My 1st memory of SNK is of myself having massive hand cramps trying to pull off special moves playing the 1st Fatal Fury on SNES.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"
talbaineric
6350th Post

"Re(7):WANNA PLAY KOF vs. actual SNK marketing" , posted Sun 7 Mar 04:12post reply

quote:
If the player isn't in physical pain they aren't playing a true SNK game!

My 1st memory of SNK is of myself having massive hand cramps trying to pull off special moves playing the 1st Fatal Fury on SNES.

Mine would be listening to Joe Higashi's Thailand theme in FFS.

Kikkoken
1246th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(8):WANNA PLAY KOF vs. actual SNK marketing" , posted Tue 9 Mar 05:03post reply

It's clear SNK is sitting on a lot of things, and a lot of long forgotten franchises that were just incredible in the 90s. They should try to do a game like NES remix with their oldies but Goldies. I'm sure there are ways for them to collect statistic data to see what portions/games are getting most plays out of it, and then get a move on and develop that into a proper remake. Best moments from nam 75, shock troopers, spin master etc would be a blast to play in bitesize.