user profileedit/delete message
PSN: n/a
XBL: n/a
Wii: Switch:SW-3634-5515-7312
STM: n/a
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet Premium Member

"Monster Hunter Rise Demo" , posted Fri 8 Jan 15:46post reply

So Capcom had a Monster Hunter Rise stream event earlier yesterday, but due to a snafu the demo did not come out until later in the evening.

So I finally got to play it and taste some of the new mechanics like Wyvern Riding, but the core mechanic that might be the biggest game changer is the wirebug feature, which isn't just crucial for traversal, but adds a lot to the combat: Beasties are now very quick to dart all over the place so appart from positioning, wirebugs also serve as a nice cancel mechanic for stringing more hits together, but as with swinging around, wirebug usage also comes with a cooldown so abusing it won't help matters much. Learning to restrain yourself from getting greedy with attacks has pretty been much the motto of MH and I've fainted once from my encounter with Mizutsune since I wasn't careful enough.

I also realized that it's been sometime since I've last played Tri before my muscle memory with the Great Sword slowly started kicking in. I've never played World so I'm not sure which elements were introduced there or if they're new to Rise (for one, you no longer need to paintball the beasts to track them). I've only know that World is substantially different in that there are no loading zones, and the same could be said with Rise.

Replies:

PSN: zonepharaoh
Wii: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Monster Hunter Rise Demo" , posted Tue 12 Jan 09:55post reply

We just downloaded it for Switch the other day, and after years of inexplictably having never played the series, I remembered there were a lot of Monster Hunters at the Cafe and that I should ask your advice on how to have the most fun! Shooting seemed sort of clumsy after Zelda, but it was probably because nobody noticed any controls tutorial...tell me how to hunt for fun and profit!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

PSN: n/a
Wii: Switch:SW-3634-5515-7312
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Monster Hunter Rise is out!" , posted Sun 28 Mar 16:24:post reply

quote:
tell me how to hunt for fun and profit!

Glad you asked. There are tons of video tutorials for starters or people getting back into the game, but I found this ones regarding the weapons[url] to be the most helpful, which is actually more of a controls tutorial since 1) many people are still not used to the Nintendo controller layout 2) many people are simply not familiar with Monster Hunter's control layouts, either. The video takes into account this PLUS the new wirebug movesets which will be essential in recoveries and the brand new attacks which involve it.

Also the game is out. I sadly still am waiting for my copy, but am already love what I'm hearing about [ispoiler]returning MHTri locals given the open-world MHWorld treatment[/ispoiler].

Edit: Added a second more comprehensive video. It's the second link.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sun 28 Mar 16:44]