Original message (4881 Views )
justicekyo
767th Post

user profileedit/delete message
Red Carpet Regular Member+

"SNK acquisition" , posted Thu 26 Nov 21:50post reply

SNK seemingly has changed hands again.

https://www.allgamesdelta.net/2020/11/snk-acquired-by-egdc-owned-by-saudi.html

https://m.stock.naver.com/item/main.nhn#/stocks/950180/news/0004799513/office/277

https://m.stock.naver.com/item/main.nhn#/stocks/950180/news/0004704212/office/009

Who is this Zuikaku Co, Limited mentioned in the Korean articles? web hits produce nothing more than an establishment date.

Replies:
Yuki Yagami

222th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Thu 26 Nov 22:02post reply

quote:
SNK seemingly has changed hands again.

https://www.allgamesdelta.net/2020/11/snk-acquired-by-egdc-owned-by-saudi.html

https://m.stock.naver.com/item/main.nhn#/stocks/950180/news/0004799513/office/277

https://m.stock.naver.com/item/main.nhn#/stocks/950180/news/0004704212/office/009

Who is this Zuikaku Co, Limited mentioned in the Korean articles? web hits produce nothing more than an establishment date.

Not quite...

It's just they signed a contract to transferring 28.8% of their stock shares from one stockholder (Zuikaku co. Ltd.) to another (Electronic Game Development Company) for 207.3B Won (estimated $187 M). If the shares transfer pushes through, EGDC will be the largest stockholders with 33.3% shares.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"
Lord SNK
473th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Thu 26 Nov 22:38post reply

After KOF14 was more chinese-friendly with all the new characters, does this means that KOF15 (or more probably KOF16 as 15 should be in advanced development) will have more arabian characters?
"more", I can't think of anyone aside from Najd

Yuki Yagami

224th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Thu 26 Nov 23:22:post reply

Well, a fellow twitter member (Nura_yagami)did a breakdown about this situation.

EGDC also entered to an agreement with another SNK stockholder (Perfect World), to transfer their shares on January 21st 2021. If the deal succeeds they acquire 5% of stock shares. Thus the 33.3% stock share total if both deals succeed.

EGDC will also be able to acquire another 17.7% shares of SNK after 3 months of the aforementioned transfer via tender offer & if they would meet some of the pre-agreed conditions.

In conclusion, these were the facts from the given information.
1. SNK is a separate entity from its owners.
2. Owners do not manage & control the affairs of a company. Only management does.
3. Anyone can buy shares which are listed. Ownership of a person in a listed company is temporary.
4. There are rulings in place to protect the rights of a minor share holder so majority can't do everything they want.
5. A company is not responsible for its owners situations as said before both owner & company are separate persons that are responsible for their own actions.
6. Only management is responsible for a company so there is no good or evil company but only better or poorly managed companies.

UPDATE!!!

Looks like we made some miscalculations if D3v of shoryuken.com's understanding is believed.

"Majority is wrong. They're acquiring 28.8% or Zuikaku's 33.16% stake, which is about 9.55%. Other companies, such as Perfect World own a larger stake."

So, me and Nura_yagami did some calculations.

SNK's current majority shareholders:
1. Zuikaku Co. Ltd. - 33.16%
2. Perfect World - 18.23%
3. Rozen - 6.33%

So out of Zuikaku's 33.16% EGDC will buy 28.8% which is 9.55% and with PW 18.23% they will buy 4.5% which is 0.08. Total 9.63%

Therefore...
"In effect they becomes the 3rd majority shareholder if this deal goes through so ownership structure would be charged."

Like Shakespeare's Play, it's "Much Ado About Nothing".

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

[this message was edited by Yuki Yagami on Fri 27 Nov 01:54]

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(4):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Fri 27 Nov 02:47post reply

Wow, before I even saw this news story it went from "Saudi Crown Prince acquires SNK" to "EGDC becomes majority stakeholder in SNK" to "Investors purchase stock in publicly traded company." Just another chapter in the weird history of SNK's finances.

"Re(5):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Fri 27 Nov 07:50post reply

quote:
Wow, before I even saw this news story it went from "Saudi Crown Prince acquires SNK" to "EGDC becomes majority stakeholder in SNK" to "Investors purchase stock in publicly traded company." Just another chapter in the weird history of SNK's finances.

The majority shareholder of EGDC is Mohammed bin Salman, the guy who ordered the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi (and 37 regular citizens, no big deal), so I think there's a fair amount of worry at least for me in terms of whether I'll want to continue working with them.

"Re(6):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Fri 27 Nov 10:10post reply

quote:
The majority shareholder of EGDC is Mohammed bin Salman, the guy who ordered the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi (and 37 regular citizens, no big deal), so I think there's a fair amount of worry at least for me in terms of whether I'll want to continue working with them.

The barbarism of Mohammed bin Salam is horrible and would keep me from buying SNK games if he was the majority shareholder. But is he? Looking at Yuki's post it looks like he has 9.63%. Is there different information out there? Is there a properly vetted source for what is going on other than people shouting on Twitter?

Yuki Yagami

225th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Fri 27 Nov 14:14:post reply

quote:

The barbarism of Mohammed bin Salam is horrible and would keep me from buying SNK games if he was the majority shareholder. But is he? Looking at Yuki's post it looks like he has 9.63%. Is there different information out there? Is there a properly vetted source for what is going on other than people shouting on Twitter?

Foremost, sorry for the late reply. My PC is lagging and I was up and awake until 5AM (Japan Time) doing additional research.

It turned out, the 33.3% Majority Shares is a real thing.

Misk Foundation had a press release regarding EGDC's attempt to become SNK's biggest Stockholder.

quote:
EGDC also entered to an agreement with another SNK stockholder (Perfect World), to transfer their shares on January 21st 2021. If the deal succeeds they acquire 5% of stock shares. Thus the 33.3% stock share total if both deals succeed.

EGDC will also be able to acquire another 17.7% shares of SNK after 3 months of the aforementioned transfer via tender offer & if they would meet some of the pre-agreed conditions.

Based from this, if they succeed and meet some pre-agreed conditions, they'll try to acquire more 17.7% shares of stock, thus becoming a 51% majority shareholder.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

[this message was edited by Yuki Yagami on Fri 27 Nov 14:19]

Red Falcon
6281th Post

PSN: beatolover
XBL: Dead
Wii: Dead
STM: bugrom1067
CFN: rugalbgood

"Re(8):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Fri 27 Nov 21:44:post reply

Do you guys like Disney stuff, Starbucks, or have you stayed in a Marriott hotel before, amongst other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head? One way or the other, you're giving money to bin Salman. Best not worry about it too much! Besides, odds are he's no worse than Chinese investors. The Chinese government is a major stakeholder in a ton of Chinese companies. Tencent has a pretty dang close relationship with the 中华人民共和国政府, ha ha.

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Fri 27 Nov 21:45]

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(6):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Fri 27 Nov 22:12post reply

quote:

I've seen this sentiment shared around the net, and I'm quite puzzled by it. No ethical consumption under capitalism and all that, but also, an absolute king in the medieval sense murdering opponents seems to me like a rather normal thing? I mean, MBS is litteraly within his rights to do so (or maybe I've been playing too much CK3).
I don't quite understand why the murder of Khashoggi seems to be a bigger issue for some people than the genocide in Yemen, which (to me at least) appears to be the bigger horror.
And then... It circles down to "do you boycott companies who benefit from slave labour of Uigur people? Can you, even?". What about companies that benefit from contracts with the American government, whose war criminals (republican as well as democrats) will never be prosecuted and can even be shortlisted for the Peace Nobel prize, all while murdering thousands of civilians to steal their resources like bloodthirsty pirates?

I'm not trying to be "and yet you participate in society, I am very intelligent" here. I'm writing this message on a machine that would make me sick if I knew exactly the human and ecological cost of it. I understand the desire to be ethical in a system that can only exist by exploiting vulnerable people and destroying ecosystems. I just don't know how, or where to draw the line.

Professor
5824th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Sat 28 Nov 00:40:post reply

The general vibe here is, "wow for such a small company SNK sure gets a lot of milage between ownership".

It's like watching a ragdoll physics demo for the latest next-gen release of Unreal engine, seeing the same toss-around again but in higher resolution and dynamics.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 28 Nov 02:36]

"Re(7):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Sat 28 Nov 04:38post reply

quote:
Based from this, if they succeed and meet some pre-agreed conditions, they'll try to acquire more 17.7% shares of stock, thus becoming a 51% majority shareholder.

Huh, so I guess this is all going through then.

quote:
I've seen this sentiment shared around the net, and I'm quite puzzled by it. No ethical consumption under capitalism and all that, but also, an absolute king in the medieval sense murdering opponents seems to me like a rather normal thing? I mean, MBS is litteraly within his rights to do so (or maybe I've been playing too much CK3).

It's true that people - whether singly or in groups - can be really awful. Also, trying to get through the day without doing something that is exploitative of someone or something makes my head spin. But with the murder of Khashoggi it puts a name to a face and personalizes it... I guess? It's like how the first person in town to get COVID-19 gets unwanted celebrity status and all the rest are just an ever increasing number on the news webpage next to the weather forecast. While I understand that any form of government is going to do unpleasant things they usually aren't trying to sell me a new Metal Slug game either.

As for my thoughts on SNK going forward (like anybody cares) I honestly don't know. There are a lot of slime who run the corporations I use regularly but that's usually just business. Here I get the feeling that EGDC is grabbing 51% of the stocks just so Mohammed bin Salman can have the ultimate video game collector's edition on his shelf. Sometimes the quickest way to lose interest in something is to meet the fans.

It makes me long for the innocent days of old when SNK was simply a money laundering operation.

"Re(7):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Sat 28 Nov 06:47post reply

quote:
I don't quite understand why the murder of Khashoggi seems to be a bigger issue for some people than the genocide in Yemen, which (to me at least) appears to be the bigger horror.

I didn't mention it here but the genocide in yemen is absolutely a part of it. And I know there's no ethical consumption under capitalism but it's personal for me because projects I work on would be making him money potentially. Where I have the ability to make a tiny ethical choice I try to, otherwise, as a person who has lived in the SF bay area his whole life and has a basic understanding of human psychology I would be very rich and none of you would like me. One has to draw the line somewhere, and directly enriching someone who has ordered genocide and murder of journalists and other citizens, that's a choice I can make.

Like you can barely use the internet without enriching peter thiel, which is terrible, but he hasn't killed anyone directly yet, just through systemic stuff. I've worked with Google, but I justified that by knowing it would lose them money. If I work on an SNK collection and it sells like gangbusters, I have helped fund the murder of people in Yemen a lot more directly than if I lose money for Google.

I just don't see how I can ignore it in this instance, basically.

Rare Customer

"Re(8):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Sun 29 Nov 20:46post reply

yeahhh it has been a few sour days, but then because of this I learned of stuff like the Taiwan censorship in Baseball Stars 2, and had the general realization that China is/was really not better at all. Like Ishmael pointed out, it is a sad reality that for most of us it just is easier to develop feelings and connection for someone that has a face and a narrative, and a tape with his screaming voice on it I guess, rather than say a schoolbus full of dead children or even the whole Uighur situation. We have been in this game for a while.

it is a chilling realization that supporting the even relatively niche entertainment that briefly makes me forget how shitty the world is, contributes in no matter how small part to make the world shittier.

KTallguy
1572th Post

PSN: KTallguy
STM: KTallguy
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(9):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Mon 30 Nov 11:13post reply

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone writing details about the situation in this thread. It looks like most other outlets are glossing over these details.

There are so many conflicts going on in the Asian and African continents right now. Between Turkey, Libya, Syria, assassinations in Iran... I guess the news is too consumed by Covid and the US election.

As for how to treat SNK going forward... it's hard to say. The last SNK game I purchased was the new Samurai Shodown, and I fell off quickly for some reason. As much as I feel nostalgia for old brands like Last Blade, I wonder what it would take for them to be truly back on the world stage.

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(8):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Tue 1 Dec 11:46post reply

quote:
It makes me long for the innocent days of old when SNK was simply a money laundering operation.
Hahaha, so true. In this sense, it's even easier to dislike the game-hating modern Konami since they're so tied into the pachinko business, which is essentially money laundering and obviously full of yakuza.

Meanwhile, beyond the depressing details of ownership, I am legitimately interested in why SNK has gone through so many hands over the years, especially as an essentially non-SNK person. The international nature of the Cafe itself is a symbol of SNK's global appeal since it's what drew so many people here at one point or another...were there just too many bad business decisions, yet the global popularity too appealing for some new buyer not to come along rather than let it go (permanently) bankrupt? Was global appeal not enough to make up for weaker sales in the Japan or US markets compared with competitors? How is SNK globally loved yet being constantly tossed around like a...hot potato=imo!? I hope we can call it Imo-ya again soon.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...
Lord SNK
474th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Wed 2 Dec 17:24post reply

51% of shares, how much money are we talking about?

Professor
5828th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(9):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Wed 2 Dec 22:53:post reply

quote:
Meanwhile, beyond the depressing details of ownership, I am legitimately interested in why SNK has gone through so many hands over the years, especially as an essentially non-SNK person. The international nature of the Cafe itself is a symbol of SNK's global appeal since it's what drew so many people here at one point or another...were there just too many bad business decisions, yet the global popularity too appealing for some new buyer not to come along rather than let it go (permanently) bankrupt? Was global appeal not enough to make up for weaker sales in the Japan or US markets compared with competitors? How is SNK globally loved yet being constantly tossed around like a...hot potato=imo!? I hope we can call it Imo-ya again soon.

In a nutshell . . .

SNK in the late 90's : "Hey we've got great characters, let's spend all our money to make huge amusement parks and become the Asian Disney!"
>>> Utterly bombs and goes bankrupt

SNK in the early 00's : "Aruze bought us but didn't see all the deficits we've hid! But hey they just wanted us for stripping ip&staff and now it's time for a divorce!
>>> Buys out IPs under the imoya hood and goes nearly bankrupt

SNK in the late 00's : "We've become Imoya and we're broke as potatoes! Iroha is the only good character ip we've made since the 90s and it shows! Oh and we had a bed partner named Eolith but that's totally in the past for us!"
>>> Cancels a bunch of projects and loses all signs of life

SNK in the early 2010's : "We've got new management now! The Future is Pachislot! you're all fired in the console games dept"
>>> Goes all Pachislot right when pachislot market is about to crash

SNK in the late 2010's : "All our IPs are belong to China! We've got the bucks to take out the Playmore name and bring home the daddys that made RB2 and Garou! oh btw KOF14 is going to play like molassas with PS2 graphics"
>>> Stock goes public and value plummets by half in 3 months

SNK in 2020: "WE'VE BEEN BOUGHT BY SAUDI PRINCE"
Jp fans: "Ah you're no longer Chinese"
Overseas fans: "Your new daddy is a serial killer"
Pretty much everyone: "Oh lord what is going to happen to Mai"

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 4 Dec 17:53]

Professor
5827th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Thu 3 Dec 01:04:post reply

. . . And right after I finished posting the above cliffnotes, I noticed that there's another new retro gadget coming out for SNK!

I am very mixed about how to feel about it. On one hand it's great seeing another NeoGeo product, on the other it's another emulation product in a nice package more expensive than a PS5.

But one thing is for certain, which is that ART OF FIGHTING 2 IS MISSING AGAIN.
What is it with AOF2 always MIA in these recent compilations? I would love to know.

[edit] Come to think, it may be that AOF2's speed change option can't be handled too well by emulators. There was an option at the start screen to do so, which I assumed was done through overclocking of the CPU in one way or another. I can't recall of any other NeoGeo game that had such a queer option.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 3 Dec 03:25]

Yuki Yagami

225th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Thu 3 Dec 21:43post reply

quote:
. . . And right after I finished posting the above cliffnotes, I noticed that there's another new retro gadget coming out for SNK!

I am very mixed about how to feel about it. On one hand it's great seeing another NeoGeo product, on the other it's another emulation product in a nice package more expensive than a PS5.

But one thing is for certain, which is that ART OF FIGHTING 2 IS MISSING AGAIN.
What is it with AOF2 always MIA in these recent compilations? I would love to know.

[edit] Come to think, it may be that AOF2's speed change option can't be handled too well by emulators. There was an option at the start screen to do so, which I assumed was done through overclocking of the CPU in one way or another. I can't recall of any other NeoGeo game that had such a queer option.

A friend told me that it has something to do with a certain Japanese flag found in Takuma's stage in AOF2.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

"Re(10):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Thu 3 Dec 23:01post reply

quote:

In a nutshell . . .

SNK in the late 90's : "Hey we've got great characters, let's spend all our money to make huge amusement parks and become the Asian Disney!"
>>> Utterly bombs and goes bankrupt

SNK in the early 00's : "Aruze bought us but didn't see all the deficits we've hid! But hey they just wanted us for stripping ip&staff and now it's time for a divorce!"
>>> Buys out IPs under the imoya hood and goes nearly bankrupt

SNK in the late 00's : "We've become Imoya and we're broke as potatoes! Iroha is the only good character ip we've made since the 90s and it shows!"
>>> Cancels a bunch of projects and loses all signs of life

SNK in the early 2010's : "We've got new management now! Th

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

This is beautiful and I love it.
I want it printed in all the video game history books from now on.

Professor
5827th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Re(10):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Thu 3 Dec 23:20post reply

quote:
A friend told me that it has something to do with a certain Japanese flag found in Takuma's stage in AOF2.

Ah that reminds me that I forgot to mention Eolith somewhere in the early 00s timeline in the above post!

If it's true that AOF2 can't be included due to the Rising sun flag in Takuma's stage, that's very unfortunate! However it's certainly an understandable move for SNK given they decided to get listed on KOSDAQ.

"Re(2):Re(10):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Thu 10 Dec 12:53post reply

quote:

this one was spearheaded by good old shyster ben herman, sneaking his way back into the SNK after being caught trying to use 20 year old order forms to get copies of Samurai Shodown 2019 to sell to retail without SNK's permission, then going round their back to the chinese parent company to do this deal without anyone in SNK management knowing. Gonna be a coooool product I bet.

Lord SNK
477th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Fri 11 Dec 00:22:post reply

quote:

this one was spearheaded by good old shyster ben herman, sneaking his way back into the SNK after being caught trying to use 20 year old order forms to get copies of Samurai Shodown 2019 to sell to retail without SNK's permission, then going round their back to the chinese parent company to do this deal without anyone in SNK management knowing. Gonna be a coooool product I bet.

Interesting. So the fact that from the announcement and the site of that thing look like it wasn't a legit/licensed product by SNK was in a way correct.

Edit: I forgot we already commented on the legality of that thing back in that other topic.

[this message was edited by Lord SNK on Fri 11 Dec 00:28]

"Re(3):Re(10):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Fri 11 Dec 00:34post reply

quote:

That's the SNK I know!

Professor
5828th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Re(10):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Fri 11 Dec 02:49post reply

quote:

being caught trying to use 20 year old order forms to get copies of Samurai Shodown 2019 to sell to retail without SNK's permission

Wow in a way this is so SNK!

With Gantaku being the distributor for asia, it'll be very interesting to see how well this product will sell.
Personally I just can't see its merit as a product; the thing is awfully huge!

Talking about merits, that reminds me also of the puzzling point on how Nintendo's Mario Game & Watch is missing an alarm button... but of course, that's beyond this NeoGeo thread.

Yuki Yagami

227th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Mon 14 Dec 21:21:post reply

Recently...

Manga Productions CEO Essam Bukhary appointed to SNK's board of directors as chief advisor.

According to SNK's board of directors, he'll serve to assist the chairman and the company president in the future and to perform the various duties in all projects SNK intends to promote.

In the future, SNK will plan to review and advise all IP licensing agendas as well as important strategic decisions of shareholders and teams in a timely manner.

Also, from a Japanese Analyst's point of view.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

[this message was edited by Yuki Yagami on Mon 14 Dec 23:09]

"Re(6):Re(10):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Fri 25 Dec 07:27post reply

quote:

that article is a failure of journalism right there. doesn't mention any of the trouble spots even though (I confirmed this) the analyst in question brought these points up and urged the journalist to address it. Honk!!!

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(6):Re(10):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Fri 25 Dec 10:33:post reply

quote:
Recently...

Manga Productions CEO Essam Bukhary appointed to SNK's board of directors as chief advisor.

According to SNK's board of directors, he'll serve to assist the chairman and the company president in the future and to perform the various duties in all projects SNK intends to promote.

In the future, SNK will plan to review and advise all IP licensing agendas as well as important strategic decisions of shareholders and teams in a timely manner.

As a long time fan, this news really hurts, and to be honest, I'm out.

Yes, capitalism is evil and it's hard to avoid slimy greedy evil people but when it's this obvious it's possible to move away(eventhough it was genuienly sad).

Yes, I'm just a one person, but instead of being in a defeatist state it's far better to distance and avoid anything that contributes anything to you know who.First and least I could do is uninstalling all the mobile apps/subscriptions/followings on social media.

What a journey it was that this year, from Sony possibly buying the company to the worst possible person to buy it.
It will be extra sad if next installments are really good quality. Oh well, see you on your next buyout SNK, if ever. Goodbye.

Oh, I would like to change my username here. It was coincidentally self demeaning anyway. No point of keeping it at all.
Edit: signature and avatar change.

[this message was edited by kofoguz on Sat 26 Dec 03:40]

Professor
5833th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Re(10):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Sat 26 Dec 03:01:post reply

quote:
Oh, I would like to change my username here. It was coincidentally self demeaning anyway.

If you need it changed let me know!

On a different subject, I hit the bookshelves this week and noticed that this is out in stores FINALLY after about 3 rounds or so of delay. What's quite something is they've actually got Etsuya Amajishi to throw in a piece for Geese Howard. His AOF series was perhaps the unsung NeoGeo manga of his time despite its high quality. The guy has been drawing a cult mahjong manga series for the past two decades and nothing else, so it's certainly a breath of fresh air!

[edit] To note, I hadn't picked it up, yet. For around 5,000 yen the book was kind of thin, about half that of a Granblue Fantasy art archive. To anyone thinking about it, keep note that it's a tribute book and not an art collection.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 26 Dec 03:23]

talbaineric
6325th Post

"Re(1):SNK acquisition" , posted Sat 26 Dec 14:05post reply

I have mixed feelings about this piece of news. Given the circumstances, it makes me fearful to give my money to SNK's products with this acquisition. I want to support SNK, but is it right to do so?

Yuki Yagami

227th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Sat 26 Dec 15:28post reply

quote:

that article is a failure of journalism right there. doesn't mention any of the trouble spots even though (I confirmed this) the analyst in question brought these points up and urged the journalist to address it. Honk!!!

Regardless, I did spent 2-3 hours to translate this article (although I inserted some personal views in some parts) on twitter.

When I posted this on a Discord server, someone pointed it out that their acquisition attempt may just be a vanity move for Saudi Arabia.

I did find some stuff in there.

Saudi Arabia has an unusual, but common, tendency to suddenly cancel things which is dubbed by the Japanese called "dotakyan", which means "to cancel an appointment at the last minute". Even though they have improved over time, but they still have the tendency to "dotakyan" because they're still not used to preparing and running events. It remains to be seen if their majority stake attempt will be "dotakyan".

One example pointed out was the failed eSports event agreement between Japan and Saudi Arabia's eSports unions signed in 2018 to hold a tournament supposedly last year, but for some reason cancelled on November 2018. Also, the deal with Riot (but since it was covered everywhere when that news came out, I did not bother to add it).

(The following parts may be debatable since that article came out at the same time Essam Bukhary was appointed as Chief Advisor)

The press statement by MiSK said "Announced to Invest", but it does not say "Completed Invest". Thus, some people are jumping the gun already.

When there was a sales transfer was announced:
"The above payment date and maximum shareholder change date shall be January 12, 2021 or the parties to the sales transaction, assuming that all the preconditions for closing the transaction, including the approval of the off-site transaction by the Financial Supervisory Service, are met. Subject to change depending on progress as a date for making a separate agreement."

Whether or not it will happen, it is one of the conditions for approval from the Financial Supervisory Service of South Korea. It remains to be seen if whether things will proceed as originally announced. (At this point after this was posted, we do not know if it is still pending up to date or not.)

From this article at eDaily (which was in the article)

"- On the 30th of last month, each submitted a large-scale holding status report on shares, etc., based on the contract conclusion date. However, this is just a matter of change schedule based on the contract conclusion date, and it is possible only if the price is paid on January 12.

- An official of the Financial Supervisory Service said on December 1 that the foreign investment registration certificate should be submitted with simple documents such as a company establishment certificate and investment registration application and said, "Application for foreign investment registration of Saudi Arabian nationality." Has not been recently entered or approved."" (Note: We do not know yet if EGDC have submitted the foreign investment registration certificate after December 1.)

The article omitted something from the source:

"In this large-scale stake sale contract, the sale price is significantly higher than the current stock price and there is no down payment, so doubts about the contract itself remain.

In this regard, SNK explained that the deal for the sale of shares proceeded fairly quickly and that it takes time to issue a foreign investment registration certificate."

"In order for foreigners to acquire stocks listed in Korea, they must have a foreign investment registration card issued by the Financial Supervisory Service. If, in the disclosure of the sale of the shares of the largest shareholder, a foreign investment registration certificate from the Financial Supervisory Service is required to acquire a 10% down payment. EGDC, which is the subject of the stake purchase, is a Saudi Arabian nationality new corporation established on October 14th, and it has been found that it has not yet obtained a foreign investment registration certificate."

As I mentioned above, it is unknown if they (finally) submitted a FIRC after the eDaily article came out (December 3rd).

Here is what is chilling:

Their attempt in investing on SNK could be a starting point that they might also invest in (or acquire) other Japanese game developers that fits with their so called "Vision 2030". Especially with this pandemic, which make some developers are in a difficult situation, they "will break through difficult management in the future, and accept capital participation through investments by the likes of MiSK foundation."

A friend told me that they might also attempt in investing or acquiring some Japanese Entertainment Studios.

Here's a challenging question:

"If you are giving up on SNK because of them, what will you do if they'll invest to your favorite game developer next?"

"Lasciate ogne speranza"
LEGENOARYNINLIA
555th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):Re(10):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Sat 26 Dec 16:28post reply

quote:

"If you are giving up on SNK because of them, what will you do if they'll invest to your favorite game developer next?"

I've personally given up ever before all this happened. Years ago. Re-releases of 80s and 90s games won't win me over when the current crop of titles (in the past 10+ years) do not interest me at all. 2002UM was SNK's last good game. The only Japanese developed games I'm looking forward to are Varvarion and Goshow's CYBORG. Which means there are less than 5 people in Japan right now developing games I'd pay for. So, until M2 starts working on some classic Sega arcade ports again, I'm out.

~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~

"Re(9):Re(10):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Mon 28 Dec 09:12post reply

quote:

I don't think there's any game developer I am so attached to that I couldn't give up buying their games due to distasteful ownership. On the other hand, there are plenty of companies whose services I continue to use in spite of their distasteful ownership, unfortunately.

quote:

I've personally given up ever before all this happened. Years ago. Re-releases of 80s and 90s games won't win me over when the current crop of titles (in the past 10+ years) do not interest me at all. 2002UM was SNK's last good game. The only Japanese developed games I'm looking forward to are Varvarion and Goshow's CYBORG. Which means there are less than 5 people in Japan right now developing games I'd pay for. So, until M2 starts working on some classic Sega arcade ports again, I'm out.

For me, I think that there are still plenty of Japanese developers whose games I am interested in, particularly doujin outfits like Tasogare Frontier, Edelweiss, Nakidai, GOSHOW and so on! There's certainly also some studios which make things just for me, like Sandlot with EDF or whatever SaGa game Kawazu comes up with.

But SNK in particular I will say hasn't made a game that has strongly appealed to me in a long time, though the recent Samurai Shodown was a good effort. I certainly haven't been "wow'd" by SNK like I was in the 90s.

LEGENOARYNINLIA
556th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):Re(10):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Mon 28 Dec 19:03post reply

quote:

There's certainly also some studios which make things just for me, like Sandlot with EDF or whatever SaGa game Kawazu comes up with.

I forgot about Sandlot. And Omiya Soft! EDF and Culdcept have my approval.

~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~

"Re(10):Re(10):SNK acquisition (not quite)" , posted Fri 1 Jan 06:38post reply

quote:

But SNK in particular I will say hasn't made a game that has strongly appealed to me in a long time, though the recent Samurai Shodown was a good effort. I certainly haven't been "wow'd" by SNK like I was in the 90s.

The frustrating thing to me is I feel that SNK is finally in the position to start innovating again. Not that they will, but they now have the staff and structure to do it. But I certainly won't be a part of it, anymore!

I guess there is some vague hope that the acquisition won't go through, but I would be pretty surprised.

Professor
5841th Post

MMCafe Owner

"SNK gets canceled" , posted Thu 7 Jan 01:41:post reply

Looks like today's announcement has been canceled.

Postponing a worldwide announcement just hours before schedule. That's something new, even for SNK!

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 7 Jan 01:59]

"Re(1):SNK gets canceled" , posted Thu 7 Jan 02:44post reply

quote:

Postponing a worldwide announcement just hours before schedule. That's something new, even for SNK!

What in the world? How does something like this even happen?

sibarraz
752th Post

PSN: DefensorVirtuoso
XBL: Sibarraz4Life
Wii: SW-0240-1091-7555(SWITCH)
STM: Sibarraz
CFN: VirtuaDefender

"Re(1):SNK gets canceled" , posted Thu 7 Jan 02:56post reply

quote:

When I die I want SNK to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time.

Yuki Yagami

231th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):SNK gets canceled" , posted Thu 7 Jan 03:04post reply

Regardless of ownership, it's still the same old SNK...

Regardless, it got postponed at the same time Japan declared a new State of Emergency. Although Osaka is not one of the prefectures covered for that.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

"Re(1):SNK gets canceled" , posted Thu 7 Jan 03:15post reply

quote:

Can we get an NGBC2 where WAREZ teams up with COVID and the boss team has a special Double Assault that's just ZA WARUDO?

Professor
5842th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):SNK gets canceled" , posted Thu 7 Jan 03:16:post reply

quote:
Regardless of ownership, it's still the same old SNK...

Regardless, it got postponed at the same time Japan declared a new State of Emergency. Although Osaka is not one of the prefectures covered for that.

I hear that the media broke the news early and shops sold out of toilet papers again a day or two before the emergency announcement. The state of Emergency doesn't kick into effect til the 8th though, so SNK... yeah, maybe they just ran out of toilet paper (not going to make any jokes about why they'd need it before their reveal)

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 7 Jan 03:25]

talbaineric
6330th Post

"Re(1):SNK gets canceled" , posted Thu 7 Jan 03:28post reply

How disappointing this all is. It's too bad.

SNK will never be able to let this live without an immediate explanation as to why. Instead of leaving people in the dark....

Lord SNK
480th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):SNK gets canceled" , posted Thu 7 Jan 04:12post reply

For something they announced a month earlier, or some big disaster happened or I can't even imagine how they can possibly fuck up something 8 hours before the planned time.

quote:

Can we get an NGBC2 where WAREZ teams up with COVID and the boss team has a special Double Assault that's just ZA WARUDO?

This is some sick Dream Cancel shit.

Professor
5842th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):SNK gets canceled" , posted Thu 7 Jan 05:34post reply

quote:
For something they announced a month earlier, or some big disaster happened or I can't even imagine how they can possibly fuck up something 8 hours before the planned time.

Two wild guesses

1- They realized something wrong was in the trailers and decided that it needs postponement for editing

2- It was supposed to be a live event but someone tested positive

"Re(4):SNK gets canceled" , posted Thu 7 Jan 07:06post reply

quote:

Two wild guesses

1- They realized something wrong was in the trailers and decided that it needs postponement for editing

2- It was supposed to be a live event but someone tested positive

Maybe the canceling is juts because of me getting back to VS game...sorry,sorry...

Fortes fortuna juvat...
Professor
5844th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):SNK gets canceled" , posted Thu 7 Jan 12:43:post reply

quote:
Maybe the canceling is juts because of me getting back to VS game...sorry,sorry...

It's got Naruto posting back on the BBS and that's good enough for us!

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 7 Jan 12:52]

PSN: n/a
Wii: Switch:SW-3634-5515-7312
Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(6):Everything gets canceled" , posted Thu 7 Jan 15:03post reply

SNK has decided to delay their KOFXV and Samurai Spirits/Showdown Season Pass DLC.

Professor
5844th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Everything gets canceled" , posted Thu 7 Jan 17:20post reply

quote:
SNK has decided to delay their KOFXV and Samurai Spirits/Showdown Season Pass DLC.

I was hoping they'd at least give an explanation by the end of the day but the official twitter as well as staff twitters are all mum since the 1st. Eerie.

sibarraz
753th Post

"Re(8):Everything gets canceled" , posted Fri 8 Jan 00:08post reply

quote:

I was hoping they'd at least give an explanation by the end of the day but the official twitter as well as staff twitters are all mum since the 1st. Eerie.

Seems like even Mr Oda himself doesn't know what's going on

"Re(9):Everything gets canceled" , posted Fri 8 Jan 06:05post reply

Images started to leak... if intereseted:

https://www.ultimahora.es/noticias/tecnologia-videojuegos/2021/01/07/1228109/lanzamiento-para-playstation-the-king-fighters-xiv-ultimate-edition.html

Fortes fortuna juvat...

"Re(10):Everything gets revealed" , posted Fri 8 Jan 11:23:post reply

Trailer drops

Hibiki in SS, makes sense since she already has the cinematic super. Almost thought it was Yuki.

Are they using Unreal now for XV? Couldn't really tell.

[this message was edited by Freeter on Fri 8 Jan 11:23]

Ungenesis
548th Post

PSN: entropytempts
XBL: ungenesis9
Wii: SW-3287-7029-8309(Switch)
STM: ungenesis
CFN: ungenesis
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Everything gets revealed" , posted Fri 8 Jan 11:53post reply

First, Terry's "metal plate" hat appeared in Smash Bros.
Now, SNK partnering with Masami Oobari for an animated KOF15 short?
This is turning out to be a very good year for fans of those old Fatal Fury anime movies!

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

Switch: SW-3287-7029-8309

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
CFN: Gojira

"Re(8):Everything gets canceled" , posted Fri 8 Jan 12:31post reply

quote:

When that happens it usually means there was something in the trailer like a release date that they had to cut out because they weren't ready to reveal it. The fact it has now come out only 24h later would seem to confirm that.

Pretty bold to have "SHATTER ALL EXPECTATIONS" as the mission statement this time around. Although it does look better it still has similar models, similar animations, similar effects, even similar music... what expectations are they expecting to shatter, I wonder...?

Professor
5847th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(9):Everything gets canceled" , posted Fri 8 Jan 15:46:post reply

quote:
Pretty bold to have "SHATTER ALL EXPECTATIONS" as the mission statement this time around. Although it does look better it still has similar models, similar animations, similar effects, even similar music... what expectations are they expecting to shatter, I wonder...?

Well that trailer was certainly... well, it's KOF so I'll still pick it up. The graphics are detailed and 4K but, at least with the trailer as Gojira pointed out, there's nothing to "Wow" about as a new title that's been in the waiting for 4 years. Similar graphic style, similar soundtrack, no fresh character reveals. At this point I'm more excited about the Masami Obari short than the game itself. Hopefully more refreshing content in updates to come.

I'm sure that there's going to be people that are going to break down the trailer in detail but what's with the background being so distant, did they decide to go with a design of lower specs/low-res to balance the texsture load speed with that of the unreal engine to keep things within acceptable range? If so, that's a very smart move although it still would've been nice if the background was closer to the characters even if they looked a tad pixelated. Digressing a bit, that kind of reminds me of the design decision in 14 which actually had 'circular' stages, probably due to the way the devs decided to handle the game's cameraworks.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 8 Jan 20:38]

Lord SNK
481th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Everything gets revealed" , posted Fri 8 Jan 17:13post reply

quote:

Yes, you can see the small Unreal Engine logo in the lower left corner by the end of the trailer.

I'm happy for Takane Hibiki in SS!

Just a Person
2250th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Everything gets revealed" , posted Fri 8 Jan 20:19post reply

quote:
Trailer drops

Hibiki in SS, makes sense since she already has the cinematic super. Almost thought it was Yuki.

KOF XV looks quite good! That's a much better first impression than the one we had for XIV (and XIV ended up being much better than its first trailer indicated it would be).

As for Cham Cham and Hibiki in SS, that's great news as well! It's surprising to me that it took SNK so long to add Cham Cham, considering she seemed to be very popular back in the 1990s (even being chosen as one of the main heroes in the SS RPG, being used as a bonus to attract players to the PS version of SSIV and all that).

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.
talbaineric
6331th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Everything gets revealed" , posted Sat 9 Jan 01:03post reply

quote:
Trailer drops

KOF XV looks quite good! That's a much better first impression than the one we had for XIV (and XIV ended up being much better than its first trailer indicated it would be).

As for Cham Cham and Hibiki in SS, that's great news as well! It's surprising to me that it took SNK so long to add Cham Cham, considering she seemed to be very popular back in the 1990s (even being chosen as one of the main heroes in the SS RPG, being used as a bonus to attract players to the PS version of SSIV and all that).

I agree. XV looks incredible! I had fun with XIV, even when people were still griping about the graphics. SNK used their own engine for that one. So, I am glad they went with the Unreal Engine for XV. I imagine this would be a PS exclusive, due to the engine being used. Some in the community have griped about that, but I don't mind.

The news of Cham Cham and Hibiki being revealed for SS2019: Season 3 was uplifting to my spirits! Cham Cham now makes her proper return to the franchise once again. I liked used Hibiki in CvS2, so I'm sure I will enjoy using her here. I can't wait to see how her story mode will be.

I really do hope SS gets at least a couple of new backgrounds this season as well.

Just a Person
2251th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Everything gets revealed" , posted Sat 9 Jan 04:28post reply

quote:
The news of Cham Cham and Hibiki being revealed for SS2019: Season 3 was uplifting to my spirits! Cham Cham now makes her proper return to the franchise once again. I liked used Hibiki in CvS2, so I'm sure I will enjoy using her here. I can't wait to see how her story mode will be.

Now that will be interesting to see. After all, isn't The Last Blade supposed to take place several decades (if not centuries) after the SS series? I wonder if SNK will either justify it as Hibiki time-travelling somehow (maybe thanks to the same shenanigans that brought Nakoruru to the KoF XIV days) or if they'll retcon SS and LB as taking place during the same period rather than in different eras (just like they did with FF and AOF in the KoF timeline).

"Re(5):Re(10):Everything gets revealed" , posted Sat 9 Jan 06:50post reply

quote:
Now that will be interesting to see. After all, isn't The Last Blade supposed to take place several decades (if not centuries) after the SS series? I wonder if SNK will either justify it as Hibiki time-travelling somehow (maybe thanks to the same shenanigans that brought Nakoruru to the KoF XIV days) or if they'll retcon SS and LB as taking place during the same period rather than in different eras (just like they did with FF and AOF in the KoF timeline).

I see three options:

1) As with FF/AOF in KOF, SNK uses this as a method of blending Samurai Shodown and Last Blade characters into the same time period (though this may or may not carry back into any potential future Last Blade game)

2) As with Nakoruru in KOF, Hibiki gets a world/time travel explanation for the crossover

3) As with the other SS2019 crossover characters, Hibiki just shows up without explanation. While For Honor is a mishmash of time periods, Warden's armor and moves apparently date him to the 13-15th century. Gongsun Li is apparently from a fantasy world. SS2019 treats both as characters that just happened to wander by and got involved in the story before leaving. (It sounds like this is also pretty much how Honor of Kings handled the arrival of its crossover SNK characters as well.)

Just a Person
2252th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Everything gets revealed" , posted Sat 9 Jan 08:33post reply

quote:

I see three options:

1) As with FF/AOF in KOF, SNK uses this as a method of blending Samurai Shodown and Last Blade characters into the same time period (though this may or may not carry back into any potential future Last Blade game)

2) As with Nakoruru in KOF, Hibiki gets a world/time travel explanation for the crossover

3) As with the other SS2019 crossover characters, Hibiki just shows up without explanation. While For Honor is a mishmash of time periods, Warden's armor and moves apparently date him to the 13-15th century. Gongsun Li is apparently from a fantasy world. SS2019 treats both as characters that just happened to wander by and got involved in the story before leaving. (It sounds like this is also pretty much how Honor of Kings handled the arrival of its crossover SNK characters as well.)

Well, regardless of whatever story Hibiki will get, she's nevertheless a cool character and it's great to see her back.

Now with SS getting more seasons and KoF XV on its way, all SNK needs now is a proper tag-team fighting game; I was recently watching some Kizuna Encounter matches on the YouTube and, while the game itself had many flaws, its more realistic tag system (you know, with your character needing to be in their corner to be able to tag and with the battle ending if any member of the team is defeated, just like in pro-wrestling) has grown on me. SNK Heroines could have been a worthy successor (and the idea of an all-female fighting game with the main SNK gals is pretty cool), but unfortunately it was too chaotic and weird to work out...

Lord SNK
482th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Everything gets revealed" , posted Sat 9 Jan 17:59post reply

quote:

Main SS series take place during 1780-1789, SS2019 should be in 1787?
LB take place in 1863, so yes almost a century later.

Considering Hibiki's story in LB2, she wanders around in search of the man responsible for her father death, probably she will simply find herself there without explanation while wandering around.

"Re(9):Everything gets canceled" , posted Sun 10 Jan 10:00post reply

quote:
When that happens it usually means there was something in the trailer like a release date that they had to cut out because they weren't ready to reveal it. The fact it has now come out only 24h later would seem to confirm that.

That seems like a probable explanation. But whatever it is, this self-inflicted wound is very on brand for SNK.

As for KoF15... I don't know? The trailer featured a bunch of dramatic close-ups that were in no way indicative of the gameplay. From the little shown it looks like it was built using KoF14 as a framework. Some of the characters look a bit better but that could be down to a better understanding of lighting and how to properly render details such as frizzy anime hair.

quote:
I'm sure that there's going to be people that are going to break down the trailer in detail but what's with the background being so distant, did they decide to go with a design of lower specs/low-res to balance the texsture load speed with that of the unreal engine to keep things within acceptable range? If so, that's a very smart move although it still would've been nice if the background was closer to the characters even if they looked a tad pixelated. Digressing a bit, that kind of reminds me of the design decision in 14 which actually had 'circular' stages, probably due to the way the devs decided to handle the game's cameraworks.

Is KoF15 still using that same circular background design? I hope not. The massive discs of KoF14 made the action feel distant and remote. I miss the big, busy Real Bout backgrounds that made the characters feel like they were part of an environment.

"Re(10):Everything gets forgotten" , posted Mon 11 Jan 03:13post reply

Double post because I forgot something!

SS is going to add in guard crush? How in the world is that going to work? That seems like something the entire game needs to be built around, not something that can be added in during the third season. This would especially true for a big button game like SS. I don't know how any of this is going to go but I'm certain Shizumaru will have multiple guard break attacks that will lead into huge damage for no good reason.

Yuki Yagami

232th Post

Frequent Customer

"Everything gets postponed" , posted Thu 14 Jan 03:08post reply

For some unknown reason, the Saudi acquisition is postponed to March 17th.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

"Re(1):Everything gets postponed" , posted Thu 14 Jan 11:46post reply

quote:

Maybe they saw the Shun-Ei trailer ahead of time and got cold feet

Professor
5848th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Everything gets postponed" , posted Thu 14 Jan 18:37post reply

quote:

Maybe they saw the Shun-Ei trailer ahead of time and got cold feet

I think it shattered pretty much everyone's expectations.

"nap time" , posted Fri 22 Jan 00:58post reply

Meitenkun trailer. Unlike the previous trailers, this is edited properly so I can actually tell what the world is going on. Plus, the background looks nice.

talbaineric
6336th Post

"Re(1):nap time" , posted Fri 22 Jan 05:52post reply

quote:
Meitenkun trailer. Unlike the previous trailers, this is edited properly so I can actually tell what the world is going on. Plus, the background looks nice.

I dig it! This trailer is a lot better. And the stage looks dope as well! It makes me hype for what is to come!

Mosquiton
2480th Post

"Re(1):nap time" , posted Fri 22 Jan 07:57post reply

quote:

At first I was thinking, wow does everyone know this character from some obscure comic or something? Then I realized he's in KOFXIV. I own the game, and I forgot Meitenkun existed.

If only I could go back to that innocent time....

/ / /

"Mildly shattering a few expectations?" , posted Thu 28 Jan 12:22post reply

Benimaru trailer

Benimaru pulled a KOF'99?

Will Kyo welcome a new member to Team Japan, or will Kyo go alone (as he did in 99), or has the Three Sacred Treasures decided to stick together after resealing Orochi?

Sigh. Even saying that Benimaru switched teams still turned into talking more about Kyo than anyone else.

Lord SNK
484th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Mildly shattering a few expectations?" , posted Thu 28 Jan 17:02post reply

quote:
Benimaru trailer

Benimaru pulled a KOF'99?

Will Kyo welcome a new member to Team Japan, or will Kyo go alone (as he did in 99), or has the Three Sacred Treasures decided to stick together after resealing Orochi?

Sigh. Even saying that Benimaru switched teams still turned into talking more about Kyo than anyone else.

That was unexpected! So he changed outfit in order to fit more with his new team.

"Re(1):Mildly shattering a few expectations?" , posted Fri 29 Jan 01:09post reply

This would have been surprising if Beni hadn't already swapped teams in 99 and 00.

The only way to shatter any expectations for Kyo is if he plays the third wheel this time around. Put him in a team with Shingo and his dad and force him to restrict his fire usage so Shingo could have a fighting chance.

Lord SNK
485th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Mildly shattering a few expectations?" , posted Fri 29 Jan 01:36post reply

quote:
This would have been surprising if Beni hadn't already swapped teams in 99 and 00.

The only way to shatter any expectations for Kyo is if he plays the third wheel this time around. Put him in a team with Shingo and his dad and force him to restrict his fire usage so Shingo could have a fighting chance.

The most unexpected thing would be if Kyo teamed up with Kukri

Just a Person
2259th Post

"Re(3):Mildly shattering a few expectations?" , posted Fri 29 Jan 02:10post reply

quote:

Come to think of it, haven't several KOF fighters moved from one team to another at some point? Yuri was the first one in '96 (and she's still often moving from the AOF Team to the Women Team and vice-versa), Kim once joined the FF Team when he couldn't team up with his disciples, and since we're talking about Benimaru, not only he joined K''s team in '99, he also joined Elizabeth's team in XI (mind you, unlike '99 and 2000, Kyo had a team in XI).

"Re(4):Mildly shattering a few expectations?" , posted Fri 29 Jan 03:28post reply

quote:
The most unexpected thing would be if Kyo teamed up with Kukri

If K' got involved somehow, I could see this working. Those three would definitely get under each other's skin the entire time and it would make for great banter.

quote:

Come to think of it, haven't several KOF fighters moved from one team to another at some point? Yuri was the first one in '96 (and she's still often moving from the AOF Team to the Women Team and vice-versa), Kim once joined the FF Team when he couldn't team up with his disciples, and since we're talking about Benimaru, not only he joined K''s team in '99, he also joined Elizabeth's team in XI (mind you, unlike '99 and 2000, Kyo had a team in XI).

We are now at a point where the only constant throughout the entire series is Ralf and Clark. If they actually disturb that dynamic, then things can really get interesting.

"Re(5):Mildly shattering a few expectations?" , posted Fri 29 Jan 03:54post reply

quote:
We are now at a point where the only constant throughout the entire series is Ralf and Clark. If they actually disturb that dynamic, then things can really get interesting.

Ralf and Clark only have one body between them. If they ever break up the act one of them is going to have to find a new place to hang his head.

"Re(5):Mildly shattering a few expectations?" , posted Fri 29 Jan 06:35post reply

quote:

It might be possible? Last year, Ogura said that 15's team compositions would differ greatly from 14. EventHubs even used that, in combination with Benimaru's new shirt, to predict that Benimaru might team with Shun'Ei.

Neo0r0chiaku
596th Post

PSN: ShikyohMukuro
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: N/A
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Mildly shattering a few expectations?" , posted Fri 29 Jan 15:52post reply

quote:

It might be possible? Last year, Ogura said that 15's team compositions would differ greatly from 14. EventHubs even used that, in combination with Benimaru's new shirt, to predict that Benimaru might team with Shun'Ei.

Has this debunked the previous roster leaks so far? Anyone's still valid? I did see one from a Twitter account called MayLee @ KOF that people have been posting. But she called it her dream roster.

Long Live I AM!
talbaineric
6339th Post

"Re(5):Mildly shattering a few expectations?" , posted Sat 30 Jan 01:48post reply

quote:

As much as it would be weird to see Ralf and Clark go their separate ways, I'd be down for a shake up. I can't imagine what other team either of them would fit right into, however.

Ungenesis
550th Post

PSN: entropytempts
XBL: ungenesis9
Wii: SW-3287-7029-8309(Switch)
STM: ungenesis
CFN: ungenesis
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Mildly shattering a few expectations?" , posted Sat 30 Jan 15:42:post reply

quote:
I can't imagine what other team either of them would fit right into, however.

Ralf, Malin and Billy vs clark, choi and oswald? (Do rags vs sunglasses)

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

Switch: SW-3287-7029-8309

[this message was edited by Ungenesis on Sat 30 Jan 17:11]

Lord SNK
486th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Mildly shattering a few expectations?" , posted Sun 31 Jan 00:30post reply

I doubt we will ever see Ralf and Clark in two separate teams, but the Ikari Team could work even without them with all the other members: Leona, Heidern, Whip. But Whip lately it's only there as a filler, having exhausted her role after the Clone saga. Not that the Ikari team wasn't shoehorned in every game story just because they can (but this could be said also for K' Team).

Another couple of characters that (for what I remember) was never separated is Athena and Kensou! They replaced Chin with Bao/Momoko, but the other two were always together (and their story of Kensou never declaring to Athena or Athena ignoring him has become so overused now... I preferred the Dragon power story arc thing they started with Bao but that was left incomplete too).
Correction, Kensou was missing in '03, well... they could repeat that.

Just a Person
2260th Post

"Re(8):Mildly shattering a few expectations?" , posted Sun 31 Jan 03:30post reply

quote:
I doubt we will ever see Ralf and Clark in two separate teams, but the Ikari Team could work even without them with all the other members: Leona, Heidern, Whip. But Whip lately it's only there as a filler, having exhausted her role after the Clone saga. Not that the Ikari team wasn't shoehorned in every game story just because they can (but this could be said also for K' Team).

Another couple of characters that (for what I remember) was never separated is Athena and Kensou! They replaced Chin with Bao/Momoko, but the other two were always together (and their story of Kensou never declaring to Athena or Athena ignoring him has become so overused now... I preferred the Dragon power story arc thing they started with Bao but that was left incomplete too).
Correction, Kensou was missing in '03, well... they could repeat that.

It's interesting how some KOF characters are so attached to each other that it's hard to imagine them in separate teams. That also applies to Mature and Vice; in fact, one of the things that always annoyed me in the two CvS games is how Capcom only had Vice as a playable character - it was a forgivable mistake in the first game, but then CvS2 came and they still kept Mature only as a cameo in the Vice vs. Rugal intro...

And then there's the New Faces Team. Then again, they canonically only appeared in '97 - but still, it's hard to imagine them being separated.

"Re(9):Mildly shattering a few expectations?" , posted Sun 31 Jan 05:12post reply

quote:
And then there's the New Faces Team. Then again, they canonically only appeared in '97 - but still, it's hard to imagine them being separated.

Mind, thanks to KOF's time alteration shenanigans and the return of Mature and Vice, people expect the New Faces team to return. Even more so since Shermie was included in Tag Team Frenzy.

Maybe SNK will shake teams up even further by putting Shermie on the Women's team, or pairing her with Mature and Vice for an Orochi Women's team. Maybe SNK will make either Yashiro or Chris, but not both. Sure, these aren't likely developments, but if SNK actually wants to shake up teams just to shake them up, then all are possible.

"Re(10):Mildly shattering a few expectations?" , posted Sun 31 Jan 06:27post reply

quote:
Maybe SNK will shake teams up even further by putting Shermie on the Women's team, or pairing her with Mature and Vice for an Orochi Women's team. Maybe SNK will make either Yashiro or Chris, but not both. Sure, these aren't likely developments, but if SNK actually wants to shake up teams just to shake them up, then all are possible.

They could always put Yashiro and Chris with Goenitz (with hopefully a human moveset different from the wind one).
Or they could shatter all expectations and introduce Gaidel. Though I think the whole reason he was killed was because he refused to fight, though maybe retcon that too.

Neo0r0chiaku
598th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Mildly shattering a few expectat" , posted Tue 2 Feb 13:39:post reply

quote:
They could always put Yashiro and Chris with Goenitz (with hopefully a human moveset different from the wind one).
Or they could shatter all expectations and introduce Gaidel. Though I think the whole reason he was killed was because he refused to fight, though maybe retcon that too.

The theme for Benimaru team can now be heard with some by the SNK Twitter page

HERE

Love the intro of the track. Also, I noticed it uses some samples from KOF2000 K team theme.

Long Live I AM!

[this message was edited by Neo0r0chiaku on Tue 2 Feb 13:41]

talbaineric
6340th Post

"Re(7):Mildly shattering a few expectations?" , posted Wed 3 Feb 11:10post reply

quote:
I can't imagine what other team either of them would fit right into, however.

Ralf, Malin and Billy vs clark, choi and oswald? (Do rags vs sunglasses)

This is genius.

"Re(8):Mildly shattering a few expectations?" , posted Thu 4 Feb 05:46:post reply

I want a team that's like:
Andy, Robert, Kensou

basically all characters who are considered the clear sidekick/#2 of the "main character" of their team/game.
(As opposed to characters like Mature/Vice who are equally the #2 behind Rugal or Iori, or Maxima who's more like the #3 behind K' and Kula)

and everybody in the story would be really angry with this team because they all seem to be winners in life

[this message was edited by Spoon on Thu 4 Feb 05:46]

"Re(10):Mildly shattering a few expectations?" , posted Thu 4 Feb 11:15:post reply

Fourth character trailer is Iori. No mention of a team. He looks a bit better than he did in KOFXIV.

HERE

[this message was edited by Baines on Thu 4 Feb 11:16]

Neo0r0chiaku
598th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Mildly shattering a few expectat" , posted Thu 4 Feb 16:10post reply

quote:
Fourth character trailer is Iori. No mention of a team. He looks a bit better than he did in KOFXIV.

HERE

Donning the costume from KOF2000 striker Another Iori. Which is cool

I am surprised they showed him this early if he tends to be in either sacred treasure or vice/Mature. That would kill some hype early. But, I am hoping he ends up with another team to keep it mysterious and anticipating for others.

Long Live I AM!

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(3):Re(10):Mildly shattering a few expectat" , posted Thu 4 Feb 20:39post reply

I'm really surprised my expectation that Kyo would be next is shattered!

Hopefully he's with some new people (or, like... Duolon, Ash, who knows) so that it leaves Mature and Vice to team up with Shermie.

It all looks generic, but in a good way. It finally "looks like KOF", in ways KOF14 never really managed to. Hopefully it keeps that way once we see actual matches and not just some rapid-fire trailers.

Mosquiton
2481th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Mildly shattering a few expectat" , posted Fri 5 Feb 03:50post reply

quote:

Hopefully he's with some new people (or, like... Duolon, Ash, who knows) so that it leaves Mature and Vice to team up with Shermie.

Here's hoping. A Vice/Mature/Shermie team might add enough volume (and/or "zing")to my current admixture of equal parts pity and nostalgia to get me to buy in.

Again, hoping they will nab Vice's anti-air sleeve from CVS2. They should have ripped that move off long, long ago.

/ / /

PSN: n/a
Wii: Switch:SW-3634-5515-7312
Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(6):SNK vs Capcom" , posted Fri 5 Feb 11:39post reply

Gematsu reports SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millenium getting a Switch port. Are other SNK vs. Capcom games likely to follow?

Just a Person
2262th Post

"Re(7):SNK vs Capcom" , posted Fri 5 Feb 21:25:post reply

quote:
Gematsu reports SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millenium getting a Switch port. Are other SNK vs. Capcom games likely to follow?

Let's hope so. I mean, CvS2 got ported to pretty much every console in the PS2 era, so it shouldn't be hard to bring it back...

Regardless, it's great to see MotM back! Despite being a handheld game, it had so much content and so much variety... if a CvS3/SvC3 ever starts being developed, I'd love if it brought back the option to play either as a single character in 1-on-1 matches, as KoF trios or as MvC tag teams - couple that with several groove options like in CvS2 and it would be perfect! Sure, maybe not perfect for tournament players worried about balance and stuff, but for casual players who are just looking for a fun game? Oh yeah!

---

EDIT: That reminds me, SNK hasn't released the NGPC Last Blade game yet, right? Or has it? I'd expect that game to come out first, and only then release MotM (or the Card Clash twin games) as the grand finale to the NGPC catalogue.

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Sat 6 Feb 00:14]

Lord SNK
487th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):SNK vs Capcom" , posted Sat 6 Feb 03:52post reply

quote:

EDIT: That reminds me, SNK hasn't released the NGPC Last Blade game yet, right? Or has it? I'd expect that game to come out first, and only then release MotM (or the Card Clash twin games) as the grand finale to the NGPC catalogue.

I could be wrong, but I remember they announced/released it.

Just a Person
2262th Post

"Re(9):SNK vs Capcom" , posted Sat 6 Feb 04:10post reply

quote:

I could be wrong, but I remember they announced/released it.

You're not wrong, I was: I just checked and you're right, it was re-released on Switch.

I'm shocked I missed this announcement, as the NGPC version of Last Blade was the second game on that handheld that most interested me (only behind MotM)... I loved SNK's idea of somehow adapting both LB and LB2 into a single game and making you first go through the first game's story before you could experience LB2's story and unlock the characters that were only added in the sequel. To me, SNK used to be the best company when it came to storytelling in fighting games (not that Capcom and Midway offered much of a challenge and Arc System Works didn't exist back then, but still), and this idea for the handheld version of Last Blade was brilliant.

Lord SNK
489th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):SNK vs Capcom" , posted Sat 6 Feb 18:07:post reply

quote:

I'm shocked I missed this announcement, as the NGPC version of Last Blade was the second game on that handheld that most interested me (only behind MotM)... I loved SNK's idea of somehow adapting both LB and LB2 into a single game and making you first go through the first game's story before you could experience LB2's story and unlock the characters that were only added in the sequel. To me, SNK used to be the best company when it came to storytelling in fighting games (not that Capcom and Midway offered much of a challenge and Arc System Works didn't exist back then, but still), and this idea for the handheld version of Last Blade was brilliant.

Yeah, it should be an amazing game, I always wanted to buy a NGPC for that game and CFC (and SvC), but for some reasons I always postponed it until it was too late. Now, used consoles have high prices and games even more high prices.
The only flaw that the NGPC has is the not backlit screen, using one nowadays is atrociously bad. I had an original Game Boy back then, and I don't know how I and lots of other kids could bear playing with that screen. I realized this a couple years ago when I impulsively bought a Wonderswan Color, "Yeah, let's get the Crystal version that has a better color screen", then when it arrived I realized that not backlit color screens are a thing and practically never used it.
On Youtube I saw a couple of people modding their NGPCs with modern backlit screens, but the result is not exactly perfect as the new screens are smaller and so there are big black borders all around.
What if the next strange console rerelease by SNK is a new NGPC? With some pre-installed games and also a working cartridge slot, it would be amazing.

(I don't have a Switch and I don't plan to buy one only for these NGPC re-releases, but my opinion could change if a new CFC game with online play would be released....)

[this message was edited by Lord SNK on Sat 6 Feb 18:11]

"Re(10):SNK vs Capcom" , posted Tue 9 Feb 00:50post reply

Code Mystics did a great job with the port of LB NGPC (the rewind feature makes the Juzoh minigame a cakewalk), and the staggered storytelling of both games was a nice touch.

But I really wish the NGPC wasn't hampered by only having two buttons. SNK did as much as they could to cram every gameplay feature into such a constrained setup, but the original games had such a precise feel that trying to acclimate to the compromises made here comes off more like an unnecessary handicap. It's an admirable effort, but IMO less would have probably been more.

neo0r0chiaku
599th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Re(10):Mildly shattering a few expectat" , posted Wed 10 Feb 14:44post reply

quote:

Here's hoping. A Vice/Mature/Shermie team might add enough volume (and/or "zing")to my current admixture of equal parts pity and nostalgia to get me to buy in.

Again, hoping they will nab Vice's anti-air sleeve from CVS2. They should have ripped that move off long, long ago.

I think some one mentioned that what if we got some guest characters from other franchises. Especially since some SNK characters were guest in other fighting games. If it happens, would be nice to see a team say Ryu, Kazuya, Skull Mania.

Now there is a time travel plot in KOf so maybe, just maybe.

Long Live I AM!
talbaineric
6341th Post

"Epic teamup!" , posted Thu 11 Feb 03:29post reply

quote:

I think some one mentioned that what if we got some guest characters from other franchises. Especially since some SNK characters were guest in other fighting games. If it happens, would be nice to see a team say Ryu, Kazuya, Skull Mania.

Now there is a time travel plot in KOf so maybe, just maybe.

Sign me up for a team of Cammy, Leona and B. Jenet, then! It would be an epic team to end epic teams!

I saw an article not too long ago that SNK was planning on including Ken and Ryu in KOF 98 as a "joke" of sorts. Or something along those lines.

All of this makes me want CvS3 that much more.

"Re(1):Epic teamup!" , posted Thu 11 Feb 06:10post reply

A number of great Pakistani players of Tekken have expressed that KOF is much beloved there, and some of these great Tekken players were themselves KOF players.

Given that Geese made it into Tekken in probably his most aesthetically wonderful form in literally decades, I do wonder if there will be a guest from Tekken in KOF... that said, a guest from Tekken would almost certainly be a Mishima first, Yoshimitsu second, and one of Nina/Xiaoyu/Asuka third. Hopefully JACK never.

"Re(2):Epic teamup!" , posted Thu 11 Feb 07:23post reply

quote:
Given that Geese made it into Tekken in probably his most aesthetically wonderful form in literally decades, I do wonder if there will be a guest from Tekken in KOF... that said, a guest from Tekken would almost certainly be a Mishima first, Yoshimitsu second, and one of Nina/Xiaoyu/Asuka third. Hopefully JACK never.

The true wrestler crossover team: Marduk, Zangief wearing Kuma's skin, and all-new-character-no-relation-with-any-MOTW-character KING OF KANGAROOS.

Just a Person
2263th Post

"Re(1):Epic teamup!" , posted Thu 11 Feb 07:44post reply

quote:
I saw an article not too long ago that SNK was planning on including Ken and Ryu in KOF 98 as a "joke" of sorts. Or something along those lines.

All of this makes me want CvS3 that much more.

It was in the article about how the SvC/CvS crossovers came to be. If I remember correctly, one of the KOF'98 developers made a special version of the game with additional characters for internal use only, with Ryu, Ken and some DBZ characters. He also said this version is probably forever lost by now.

Anyway, a team of guest fighters could be cool. Or a team of real-life martial artists (or pro-wrestlers, or UFC fighters) that agree to appear in the game. But what I'd really like to see would be a World Heroes team - and the Verse plot excuse wouldn't even be necessary for them, as they are already used to time-travelling in the WH games...

Lord SNK
489th Post

Gold Customer

"Something something expectations" , posted Thu 11 Feb 17:00post reply

(This thread has been hijacked to be the current SNK thread)

People expected Kyo/Chizuru/Vice/Mature and we got Joe Higashi.
Does SNK is not following team order or Joe and Iori are in the same team??

"Re(1):Something something expectations" , posted Thu 11 Feb 22:16post reply

quote:

That would be fun! Think of the implications, Mature/Vice being free to go with Shermie, and Terry teaming up with Rock and... Jeff? Maybe a Andy/Mai/Hokutomaru team?
Though what would be the reason for Joe and Iori to team up, and who else would be with them... Literally anyone is fair game at that point.

His animations are really not great though, but, eh, it's Joe. Is it the first time he has his FF theme? Normally, the team always has Terry's theme, right?

Just a Person
2264th Post

"Re(1):Something something expectations" , posted Thu 11 Feb 23:02post reply

quote:

I hope they're not following team order. KOF's changes in team formations from one game to another are one of the coolest things about it, but Iori and Joe don't make any sense together; if Joe decided not to team up with Terry (which is very unlikely), it would make more sense to team him up with, I don't know, Kensou and Yuri, for example.

SNK would need a really good explanation to make these two characters work together.

"Re(2):Something something expectations" , posted Fri 12 Feb 01:15post reply

quote:
Iori and Joe don't make any sense together; if Joe decided not to team up with Terry (which is very unlikely), it would make more sense to team him up with, I don't know, Kensou and Yuri, for example.

SNK would need a really good explanation to make these two characters work together.

Do they, though? Iori teamed with Vanessa, Seth and Ramon in 01 just to fill a slot and their whole ending was, "well, we got nothing better to do, so let's kick Iori's ass".

Robert could be the next announcement and the team story could be him financing an action movie for Joe with Iori on the soundtrack.

Neo0r0chiaku
600th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Something something expectations" , posted Fri 12 Feb 01:52post reply

quote:
Iori and Joe don't make any sense together; if Joe decided not to team up with Terry (which is very unlikely), it would make more sense to team him up with, I don't know, Kensou and Yuri, for example.

Do they, though? Iori teamed with Vanessa, Seth and Ramon in 01 just to fill a slot and their whole ending was, "well, we got nothing better to do, so let's kick Iori's ass".

Robert could be the next announcement and the team story could be him financing an action movie for Joe with Iori on the soundtrack.

I hope they are together. Iggy had some interesting points. Freeters is indeed the funniest one and possible. I always like something different or evolving. As to why they would be together? I have no ideas. But I like it if it happens

Long Live I AM!
Sibarraz
755th Post

"Re(3):Something something expectations" , posted Fri 12 Feb 01:53:post reply

Iori is someone who would team up with whoever if that means that he could participate in the tournament

[this message was edited by Sibarraz on Fri 12 Feb 01:55]

"Re(4):Something something expectations" , posted Fri 12 Feb 04:37post reply

I vote Lucky Glauber for third member of the team!

"Re(3):Something something expectations" , posted Fri 12 Feb 05:25post reply

Is there someone else besides Joe and Iori who laughs at the end of a round? If so, they could be the third member and be team High Spirits.

quote:

I forgot that Iori's team in 01 was basically whatever characters were leftover. Then again, I've forgotten most of 01.

Just a Person
2266th Post

"Re(4):Something something expectations" , posted Fri 12 Feb 06:40post reply

quote:

I forgot that Iori's team in 01 was basically whatever characters were leftover. Then again, I've forgotten most of 01.

To be fair, Iori's teammates in 01 had ties with each other (Vanessa and Seth being fellow agents and Ramon being madly in love with Vanessa since the previous game); Iori was the only team member with no connection to them, only being invited to the team so that they could complete the team.

In XV's case, unless the third member would be someone directly related to Joe, like Andy, it would be quite weird to see two random fighters first deciding to join each other and then deciding to join Iori (with his long history of assaulting and sometimes murdering his former teammates - Billy, Eiji, Mature, Vice, Kyo, Shingo...).

(on another note, writing about Iori's team in 01 makes me wish Seth will return in XV... he's possibly my favorite character introduced in the NESTS arc)

talbaineric
6343th Post

"Re(1):Something something expectations" , posted Sat 13 Feb 06:53post reply

quote:

I, for one, love these shakeups! I'm sure next week our minds will be blown further!

I say that next week is Terry. That way if this a team, it'd be Iori, Joe and Terry. SNK could say that Iori joining is just another reason to try and do Terry and Joe in like he tried to do with Eiji and Billy in the '95 team.

talbaineric
6344th Post

"Kyo be lit!" , posted Thu 18 Feb 15:57post reply

quote:

I, for one, love these shakeups! I'm sure next week our minds will be blown further!

I say that next week is Terry. That way if this a team, it'd be Iori, Joe and Terry. SNK could say that Iori joining is just another reason to try and do Terry and Joe in like he tried to do with Eiji and Billy in the '95 team.

I was wrong. It was Kyo who was revealed this evening.

He looks dope. These trailers keep getting better!

Lord SNK
494th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Kyo be lit!" , posted Thu 18 Feb 16:56post reply

quote:

So... they shattered your expectations!

talbaineric
6345th Post

"Re(2):Kyo be lit!" , posted Fri 19 Feb 01:52post reply

quote:

SNK got me good!

Neo0r0chiaku
601th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Kyo be lit!" , posted Fri 19 Feb 02:55post reply

quote:

SNK got me good!

I have a feeling him and iroi won't be in the same team. Since they battle each other on the trailer. But then again that was shown in Japan team character trailers fighting each other.

I want some shakeups here. Come on SNK!

Long Live I AM!

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):Kyo be lit!" , posted Fri 19 Feb 05:10post reply

quote:

I have a feeling him and iroi won't be in the same team. Since they battle each other on the trailer. But then again that was shown in Japan team character trailers fighting each other.

With the necessary exception of Shun'ei, the trailers use the previously revealed characters as punching bags, regardless of team assignment.

Shun'ei fought Kyo. Meitenkun fought Shun'ei. Benimaru fought Meitenkun and Shun'ei. Iori fought Benimaru. Joe fought Benimaru and Meitenkun. Kyo fought Iori and Benimaru.

Joe is slightly interesting. I'd seen a weird theory that SNK moved Joe's reveal to go with Capcom's Dan trailer. While I doubt this is true, this did cause me to notice that removing Joe's trailer creates an unbroken chain of new reveals fighting the immediately preceding reveal. Meitenkun fights Shun'ei, Benimaru fights Meitenkun, Iori fights Benimaru, Kyo fights Iori. Joe's trailer breaks that pattern both because Joe doesn't fight Iori and because Kyo doesn't fight Joe. This "pattern" is probably entirely coincidental though, simply due to the low number of revealed characters to use as punching bags.

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
CFN: Gojira

"Re(5):Kyo be lit!" , posted Fri 19 Feb 07:25post reply

I find it interesting that they gave Kyo a little extra "oomph" on his hits, similar to Shingo's crits. At least I don't think the hitstop was quite that long in other trailers, or with Kyo himself before? Maybe I just never noticed.

Professor
5853th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Kyo be lit!" , posted Sun 21 Feb 16:38post reply

Chizuru was announced 4 days earlier than usual due to the fighting game maker online stream conference
This is the trailer that usually gets released on Thurs.

Lord SNK
495th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Kyo be lit!" , posted Sun 21 Feb 18:29post reply

quote:
Chizuru was announced 4 days earlier than usual due to the fighting game maker online stream conference

Did they also announce a guest character from Guilty Gear for Samurai Shodown??

"Re(7):Kyo be lit!" , posted Sun 21 Feb 23:43post reply

quote:

So they did go official Sacred Treasures team? I was hoping that they would, but didn't know if they'd bother.

"Re(8):Kyo be lit!" , posted Mon 22 Feb 02:15post reply

I like that Kyo and Iori got new outfits but Chizuru is still trotting around in the same ankle boots from 25 years ago.

All my posts today were about fighting game fashion. Huh.

Lord SNK
496th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):Kyo be lit!" , posted Mon 22 Feb 02:43post reply

quote:
I like that Kyo and Iori got new outfits but Chizuru is still trotting around in the same ankle boots from 25 years ago.

She put a lot of effort in choosing a new belt.

talbaineric
6346th Post

"Chizuru is back!" , posted Mon 22 Feb 04:09post reply

quote:

Haha, gotta keep that 90's nostalgia alive and kicking.

She looks great! I never gave her a try too much back in the day. Perhaps with this game I will.

Just a Person
2268th Post

"Re(10):Kyo be lit!" , posted Tue 23 Feb 04:56post reply

quote:

Heh. Oh well, she chose a nice new belt, at least.

I'm more surprised with Chizuru, a middle-aged woman, looking younger than Kyo and Iori.

But it's great to see her back, and that the Sacred Treasures Team will finally be together again!

"Re(2):Re(10):Kyo be lit!" , posted Tue 23 Feb 08:25post reply

quote:

I'm more surprised with Chizuru, a middle-aged woman, looking younger than Kyo and Iori.

But it's great to see her back, and that the Sacred Treasures Team will finally be together again!

Isn't Chizuru supposed to be around 22 years old? If that's middle aged I need to go lay down for a bit...

Just a Person
2269th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Kyo be lit!" , posted Tue 23 Feb 08:53post reply

quote:

Isn't Chizuru supposed to be around 22 years old? If that's middle aged I need to go lay down for a bit...

She is? Gosh, if so, sorry for the confusion; I remember reading in a video game magazine that she was supposed to be around 40...

Lord SNK
499th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Kyo be lit!" , posted Tue 23 Feb 22:16post reply

quote:

She is? Gosh, if so, sorry for the confusion; I remember reading in a video game magazine that she was supposed to be around 40...

I always thought she was in her 30s.

By the way, from the usual twitter post describing the new design for the characters, says they added a cloak (I didn't notice at all!), and the inside of her jacket and outsoles of her shoes are now colored red.
https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/1364032737665978372/photo/1

"Re(5):Re(10):Kyo be lit!" , posted Wed 24 Feb 08:55post reply

quote:

By the way, from the usual twitter post describing the new design for the characters, says they added a cloak (I didn't notice at all!), and the inside of her jacket and outsoles of her shoes are now colored red.

I don't really like this rendition of Chizuru!

I mean, it's not horrible, but the way Chizuru previously was was so striking:
- she had a modern, high-fashion outfit that looked like it alluded to a shrine maiden
- it was cut in a sharp, angular way, which when combined with her icy cold stance gave her an almost robotic/sci-fi atmosphere
- her pants and shoes that went with it also had a sharply professional business lady sense to it
- her attack motions with the flowing/sweeping motions and the dangling sleeves that she often ends with sharp snaps, when combined with the above made her seem supernatural and powerful

So this starts with the original as a base, which is totally ok to do, then makes the entire upper body portion softer and floppier, and the dangling sleeves are now so large and soft looking that they border on being garish. I don't like this because it loses a lot of the qualities of the original while not really bringing anything new or interesting to the table. It's like they are trying to emphasize the priestess part more in doing so, but it's LAME and weak. I feel like there's a lot they could've done with her, whether or not they wanted to go in the direction of her being significantly older since last time she showed up, and they largely declined from that.

If anything, I think they should've taken a chance and tried to make a significantly different costume that still tried to retain those aforementioned sensibilities of the original, as opposed to trying to retain the literal concrete elements of the original. There's a lot you can do with "sharply-dressed gracefully dancing icy business lady priestess"! And any time you wonder if this is too far or not, you just look at Vice and Mature and see what things present them as "underlings" and not "bosses", or "too-sultry" and not "professional"!

"Re(6):Re(10):Kyo be lit!" , posted Wed 24 Feb 22:04post reply

quote:
And any time you wonder if this is too far or not, you just look at Vice and Mature and see what things present them as "underlings" and not "bosses", or "too-sultry" and not "professional"!
That's easy: both keep touching their own face (especially Mature).
So unprofessional! Didn't they read the guidelines to reduce infections? Where are their masks? Do they think just because they're dead they can't catch the virus?
Such a lack of civic duty from these two member of a death cult who want to wipe out humanity. At least Kryzalid was shielding appropriately!

"Re(6):Re(10):Kyo be lit!" , posted Thu 25 Feb 04:07post reply

quote:

I got her age from the SNK wiki, which means that info could come from an actual SNK source or from some fan's overactive imagination. Whatever the case, Chizuru will always look older than her teammates due to her fashion sense being twenty five years out of date.

quote:

Hmm, I'm not certain that cloak is really necessary, since her hair is so long it obscures her back.

quote:
I don't really like this rendition of Chizuru!

I mean, it's not horrible, but the way Chizuru previously was was so striking:
- she had a modern, high-fashion outfit that looked like it alluded to a shrine maiden
- it was cut in a sharp, angular way, which when combined with her icy cold stance gave her an almost robotic/sci-fi atmosphere
- her pants and shoes that went with it also had a sharply professional business lady sense to it
- her attack motions with the flowing/sweeping motions and the dangling sleeves that she often ends with sharp snaps, when combined with the above made her seem supernatural and powerful

True, her current rendition softens her outline without bringing anything new. Originally, her tight, black slacks and huge-ass shoulder pads gave her a triangular look that was striking. The shortened shoulders took away that silhouette. Also, I'm not certain the animation style of KoF15 suits her. The limited frames of KoF96 helped sell the certainty and impact of her moves. While KoF15 emphasizes her graceful movement it needs to add a bit more oomph to her strikes.

Digression: I want Chizuru, Brian Battler and King Lion all in the same game so I can play Team Padding.

"Re(7):Re(10):Kyo be lit!" , posted Thu 25 Feb 06:10post reply

quote:

Hmm, I'm not certain that cloak is really necessary, since her hair is so long it obscures her back.

I had to rewatch the trailer just to notice the cloak.

At first I thought the cloak was pointless; being so missable certainly implied as much. From the back, it looks no different than an open jacket. From the front, I'd originally felt the red blended too easily into the black hair, and worse the mesh itself clipped into her hair at times.

My opinion started to shift as I rewatched it a bit more. It didn't clip as much as I'd originally thought, and the red blending into the black seemed to be more an issue with YouTube compression.

What really stood out though was that rather than being redundant to her hair, it might actually have a visual benefit. The red side breaks up the large black mass that would otherwise be right next to a large white maass.

But also, during motion the cloak is often quite visible in areas well beyond where her hair is. For example, when Chizuru does her doppleganger attacks, her hair is massed on the side of her body away from her opponent, but the red of her cloak is clearly visible under the arm that is raised towards the opponent. I'm guessing that SNK is also using some form of physics simulation for Chizuru's hair, as some moves send her hair flying wildly. In these situations where her hair is seemingly trying to escape her body, the cloak gives more controlled movement centered on her back.

talbaineric
6347th Post

"Rollback confirmed" , posted Sat 27 Feb 04:16post reply

It looks like all those annoying Tweets from the community got SNK to listen, because Yasuyuki Oda confirmed it. Of course, being the fickle bunch they are, most of the community still isn't satisfied. They don't have faith that SNK can produce a good rollback.

I say, this is good news, and also that it is still too early to tell on how the rollback will work. I have faith that SNK can deliver still. They listen to the fans more than Capcom did.

"Re(1):Rollback confirmed" , posted Sat 27 Feb 05:17post reply

quote:
It looks like all those annoying Tweets from the community got SNK to listen, because Yasuyuki Oda confirmed it. Of course, being the fickle bunch they are, most of the community still isn't satisfied. They don't have faith that SNK can produce a good rollback.

I say, this is good news, and also that it is still too early to tell on how the rollback will work. I have faith that SNK can deliver still. They listen to the fans more than Capcom did.

Capcom did listen to fans, kind of. Both SFxT and SFV use rollback netcode, it is just that SFV's netcode implementation ended up being laughably bad.

That is probably why SNK fans are still concerned. Rollback netcode isn't automatically good, and SNK's track record when it comes to the polish of what it actually delivers is questionably spotty.

talbaineric
6348th Post

"Re(2):Rollback confirmed" , posted Tue 2 Mar 01:22post reply

quote:

Capcom did listen to fans, kind of. Both SFxT and SFV use rollback netcode, it is just that SFV's netcode implementation ended up being laughably bad.

That is probably why SNK fans are still concerned. Rollback netcode isn't automatically good, and SNK's track record when it comes to the polish of what it actually delivers is questionably spotty.

I had no idea about the rollback for SFV until now but I couldn't tell when I play it online.

I suppose this gives the devs an added incentive to make the rollback function properly.