Random Thread Nongaming Edition VIIr - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (884 Views )

user profileedit/delete message
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Random Thread Nongaming Edition VIIr" , posted Mon 1 Jun 12:21:post reply

A really interesting thing that a pal linked me to is this modern folk hero, a protest dog in Chile:

long twitter thread full of images

I did not know about this at all, and it really makes me wonder about what sorts of other folk heroes have come to be in the past decade or two in various parts of the world. There are folk heroes of all kinds, ranging from anti-authority vigilantes like Robin Hood, resisters against foreign occupiers like Wong Fei Hung, to those who united countries and became symbols of authority like King Arthur, but most of the ones I do know of are at least a century old, if not many centuries old! I know very little of the folk heroes of South America and Mexico and India and the many nations of Africa, to say nothing of Southeast Asia and many other parts of the world! If any of you do know of ones local to your region, do name them for me so that I can look them up!

[this message was edited by Spoon on Mon 1 Jun 12:38]

Replies:

neo0r0chiaku
578th Post

PSN: ShikyohMukuro
XBL: IAMDC1
Wii: n/a
STM: N/A
CFN: n/a
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Random Thread Nongaming Edition VIIr" , posted Tue 2 Jun 00:04post reply

quote:
A really interesting thing that a pal linked me to is this modern folk hero, a protest dog in Chile:

I did not know about this at all, and it really makes me wonder about what sorts of other folk heroes have come to be in the past decade or two in various parts of the world. There are folk heroes of all kinds, ranging from anti-authority vigilantes like Robin Hood, resisters against foreign occupiers like Wong Fei Hung, to those who united countries and became symbols of authority like King Arthur, but most of the ones I do know of are at least a century old, if not many centuries old! I know very little of the folk heroes of South America and Mexico and India and the many nations of Africa, to say nothing of Southeast Asia and many other parts of the world! If any of you do know of ones local to your region, do name them for me so that I can look them up!

Aw man, this story made my day. Love it. There are also 3 other dogs in Chile with a similar story and I think one still alive.

Favorite picture of matopacos is the three version of him. One of himself as normal, one in flames, and one with full of green grass. To show that although a dog, powerful when resisting but down to earth once peace is restored.

Comments mentioned dogs similar in Turkmenistan and Greece. Definitely would like to see somemmore of this.

Long Live I AM!

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(1):Random Thread Nongaming Edition VIIr" , posted Tue 2 Jun 05:43post reply

quote:

I am in love with this thread. Thank you so much for posting it, you made my day!

"Re(1):Random Thread Nongaming Edition VIIr" , posted Tue 2 Jun 13:56post reply

I know this dog!! and maybe one other. good dogs :D

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(2):Random Thread Nongaming Edition VIIr" , posted Wed 3 Jun 04:55post reply

I love everything about that thread, up to and including John Wick as the Patron Saint of Good Dogs.

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(1):Random Thread Nongaming Edition VIIr" , posted Thu 4 Jun 12:08post reply

quote:
A really interesting thing that a pal linked me to is this modern folk hero, a protest dog in Chile
While I can't be sure, I like to think that our favorite Chilean, Toxico, would approve.

As for non-canine folk heroes, Spoon, you should probably look into Ishikawa Goemon---no, not his supposed successor Ishikawa Goemon XIII of Lupin III---the real-life virtuous thief who robbed from the rich and gave to the poor, and tried to assassinate the mighty daimyou Toyotomi Hideyoshi and maybe even Wakamoto Norio Oda Nobunaga. Unlike his English Robin Hood counterpart, he was unsuccessful and boiled alive, but the legend lives on in kabuki and in the hearts of all virtuous thieves.

The other guy who came immediately to mind is souhei warrior monk Benkei, famous for roaming the land and attempting to collect 1000 swords from samurai. Famous for dying standing up, and staying that way, even after being pierced by arrows. He's the model for the Final Fantasy series' Gilgamesh, to bring it back to games.

The most famous American outlaw hero, of course, has to be Billy the Kid, another bandit figure and a famous train robber, also based in fact. Famed composer Aaron Copeland (who essentially established modern American-style classical music as differentiated from the centuries-old European composers and thus ensured that classical music would one day become the soundtrack music of choice for movies) wrote the Billy the Kid suite, a magnificent score for a ballet about Billy the Kid that totally evokes the wild prairie and Sega blue skies before they were Sega.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

"Fight Island, or UFC and wacky/dumb ideas" , posted Wed 10 Jun 05:11post reply

It's totally not KOF, complete with a competitor named Alexander

I am glad that they aren't getting crowds of people to attend the matches, because that was the real biggest problem in the current COVID dominated world. The extreme close proximity of many people to each other and all the yelling means it could easily be a super-spreader environment for the disease.

"Re(1):Fight Island, or UFC and wacky/dumb ide" , posted Thu 11 Jun 01:11post reply

quote:
It's totally not KOF, complete with a competitor named Alexander

I am glad that they aren't getting crowds of people to attend the matches, because that was the real biggest problem in the current COVID dominated world. The extreme close proximity of many people to each other and all the yelling means it could easily be a super-spreader environment for the disease.

This is right out of a comic book. Will Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa be the master of ceremonies? Will Dana White wear a nehru jacket? If they are going to do something this dumb they need to go all in.

"black anime" , posted Fri 12 Jun 07:58:post reply

Woah! Brandon shared a cool article on the first black-owned anime studio in Japan. You'd better believe I had no idea this existed! Every so often, you'll hear a tale from a non-Japanese person who worked in the industry, like at Gainax or Ghibli or somewhere, but this is cool and brand-new to me.

Edit: more interesting still, they've also contributed not only to MMCafe's favorite series, Dracula, in the form of the Netflix TV show, but also to Gintama, which is hot hot hot

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 12 Jun 08:01]

"Re(1):black anime" , posted Fri 12 Jun 22:18post reply

quote:
Woah! Brandon shared a cool article on the first black-owned anime studio in Japan. You'd better believe I had no idea this existed! Every so often, you'll hear a tale from a non-Japanese person who worked in the industry, like at Gainax or Ghibli or somewhere, but this is cool and brand-new to me.

Edit: more interesting still, they've also contributed not only to MMCafe's favorite series, Dracula, in the form of the Netflix TV show, but also to Gintama, which is hot hot hot

Impressive! It's even more impressive when you remember how absurdly underpaid most people in the anime industry are, so traveling to the other side of the world just to get paid peanuts is a real labor of love.

"Re(2):black anime" , posted Tue 16 Jun 03:08post reply

There's this tribute book edited by Itoi for MOTHER and it's named Pollyanna

And it made me miss Pollyanna I hope she's doing well!

"Re(3):Pollyannime" , posted Tue 16 Jun 10:38:post reply

quote:
There's this tribute book edited by Itoi for MOTHER and it's named Pollyanna

And here Iggy and I were so sure that our strategy of leaving friendly stalker-ish notes on her Steam profile would somehow catch her attention to lure her back! Who knew?

I think of her whenever I think of Tales of the Abyss, which was pretty good and all thanks to her! Along with many other interesting observations and conversations, of course. Sometimes I think of creating a Bring Back POLLY thread after the success with ONSY, but I figure that if the Toxico tribute thread didn't naturally summon her, nothing would.

On the subject of Itoi, who might be one of the finest writers around today (I can't tell if writing PR copy was a waste of his time, or whether he elevated the already excellent Japanese PR world to new levels with the Ghibli ads he's famous for), it's always good writing at his site, the Hobo Nikkan Itoi Shinbun, the Almost-Daily Itoi Newspaper.

...or at least it was before, though I find it too cluttered now. I was super-confused to find there was an English version of the Japanese store, but then realized it's probably because it's now this Muji(rushi)-like design shop. I take it as a problem that I literally could not even find the book section without an internet search. That's too bad, because there are some great collections from his pithy daily journals, and his press also published this book on dearly departed Nintendo president Iwata Satoru that collected his Iwata Asks columns and also had special interviews with Itoi.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 16 Jun 10:48]

Professor
5789th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Pollyannime" , posted Tue 16 Jun 20:52:post reply

I think Polly is on my PSN friends list but nowadays everyone is in private mode!

On a different note, Steam Greese might just be the next new platform for gaming.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 16 Jun 22:02]

PSN: Kusanagi82
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Pollyannime" , posted Wed 17 Jun 04:33post reply

quote:
I think Polly is on my PSN friends list but nowadays everyone is in private mode!

Same here; let me try to reach out to her.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

"Re(5):Pollyannime" , posted Wed 17 Jun 11:51post reply

quote:

On a different note, Steam Greese might just be the next new platform for gaming.

What's extra-amazing about this is that this isn't even the first Colonel Sanders-related game news in the past couple of years. What's even more interesting is that the dating sim just might be...one of the highest-rated games on Steam!?!? CHOW DOWN

"Re(5):Pollyannime" , posted Thu 18 Jun 01:29post reply

quote:

Yes, it may be filled with scalding hot grease but -unlike the PS5- at least it looks fairly solid and won't tip over.

PSN: n/a
Wii: Switch:SW-3634-5515-7312
Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(6):Pollyannime" , posted Thu 18 Jun 01:37post reply

quote:

Yes, it may be filled with scalding hot grease but -unlike the PS5- at least it looks fairly solid and won't tip over.

Drumbstick controllers with FingerLickin Sense.

"Re(6):Pollyannime" , posted Thu 18 Jun 14:08post reply

quote:

Same here; let me try to reach out to her.

I sent an email saying folks want to get in touch! Not sure if it's still in use though.

PSN: Drakee
XBL: eccothedolphin
CFN: eccothedolphin
Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):black anime" , posted Thu 2 Jul 14:05post reply

quote:

I think the last time I spoke to her was on PSN to be sure she knew when Toxico passed... that was several years ago now. Hope all is well with her.

Hope all is well with all of you! I don't show up here enough these days!

"Re(4):black anime" , posted Fri 3 Jul 04:09post reply

quote:

Hope all is well with all of you! I don't show up here enough these days!

Yes! It's good to see you back here. Stick around, regardless of whether you are able to successfully complete the bounty to bring Polly back!

"New Sega Consoles" , posted Tue 28 Jul 22:47post reply

Tiny, tiny, Sega consoles designed as toy accessories.

"Re(1):New Sega Consoles" , posted Thu 30 Jul 08:46post reply

NEW SEGA CONSOLES???
quote:
Tiny, tiny, Sega consoles designed as toy accessories.

Oh.

In between this and the Sega Toys Astro City Mini, Sega is toying with my heart even more than in the 32 bit days. We can only keep dreaming of Blue Skies in Games.

"Re(2):New Sega...President?" , posted Sun 2 Aug 09:14post reply

This kinda caught me off-guard. "Personal reasons", huh?

"Mortal Kinema" , posted Fri 11 Sep 08:50post reply

I'm never one to pass up multimedia tie-ins to fighting games, so I was curious about Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge. Not curious enough to buy it, mind you, but curious. Luckily, my local public library had a copy(!) so I got to check out the latest adaptation of our favorite kombatants.

When I say "favorite" that's pretty accurate, because while this is yet another retelling of MK1 it shifts the focus to also being the origin story of MK's poster boy Scorpion. While the nominal MK heroes are off doing an "Enter the Dragon" pastiche yet again the movie spends an equal amount of time reinventing Scorpion as a sympathetic lone wolf who realizes the error of his ways in time to save the day. It's certainly a shift, but not necessarily a bad one. No matter how beautiful his hair is, poor Liu Kang isn't engaging enough to carry the story by himself.

The character designs reminds me of the chunky, stiff style of a syndicated cartoon series for kids from the 1990's. It even feels that way at points, with Raiden continuously burping out platitudes about destiny and heroism to anyone within earshot. After Raiden a one-to-grow-on lesson the movie would then immediately cut to Scorpion punching the head off a demon in hell. That juxtaposition was cheap amusement but nevertheless worked.

Speaking of which, the main selling point of the show is the violence. Unlike those 1990's cartoons where everyone had to wave weapons at each other in a non-threatening manner, people in MKL are getting chopped apart constantly. Unlike the gruesome fatalities of modern MK games, the violence in MKL is quick and kinetic, with people flying apart in sprays of neon red blood and salami slices of body parts. It's overdone and delightfully ridiculous. Watching the film put me in mind of MK: Shaolin Monks, where you could perform fatalities but other times you could be fighting a group of enemies and some guy's head would suddenly go bouncing off mid-combo. I miss Shaolin Monks, that was a fun game.

What was I talking about? Oh yeah, the MK OVA. In the end it's MK so it's ridiculous but this particular outing is the good sort of ridiculous. Even the outlaw movie critic Vern agrees with me.

"Re(1):Mortal Kinema" , posted Fri 11 Sep 09:14post reply

quote:
I'm never one to pass up multimedia tie-ins to fighting games, so I was curious about Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge. Not curious enough to buy it, mind you, but curious. Luckily, my local public library had a copy(!) so I got to check out the latest adaptation of our favorite kombatants.

Speaking of later/modern Warner Brothers DC/Neatherealm animated adaptations, I somehow managed to see The Killing Joke one time on HBO, and now I'm curious as to what people thinking about these "matured-up cartoons from my childhood" or if its trying too hard to emulate/to ape Japanese animation in terms of storytelling at times (animation skill might be an entirely different argument/debate as recent shows have been channeling the inner-sakuga of newer talent).

Speaking of which, guess new studios are born everyday...

"Re(2):Mortal Kinema" , posted Sat 12 Sep 08:06post reply

quote:

Speaking of which, guess new studios are born everyday...

Interesting! Between this studio and DíART Shtajio mentioned earlier in the thread it seems that everyone who isnít Warren Ellis is doing pretty good thanks to their association with Castlevania.

"Re(2):Mortal Kinema" , posted Sat 12 Sep 08:46:post reply

quote:
I somehow managed to see The Killing Joke one time on HBO, and now I'm curious as to what people thinking about these "matured-up cartoons from my childhood" or if its trying too hard
I'm probably going to get in trouble with Onsy's ghost, but the way I see it, American superhero comics trying to be mature is always going to be a losing battle because the century-old basic premise is so childish. And I say this as someone who loves good fantasy and mythology, so that's not the problem! It's that at the core, you have a collection of characters originally designed for children, where the creative process was literally indistinguishable from what small schoolchildren might've said back and forth: "Oh, check this out, I'm inventing a character who has spider power!" "Ah, but mine is invincible!" "Mine dresses like a bat!" "Mine has the power of the birds!" "Mine has water power!" You see what I mean.

That said, the Gotham aesthetic and bat theme might've made Batman less ridiculous when made darker later on, and the animated series is a nice mix of approximately Shounen Jump-level drama that's fun with some actual adult themes. But in the end, it's still a challenge working with a guy wearing tights and underwear outside his pants with a big bat symbol on his chest in a world of secret identities and villains in elaborate villain costumes.

I've got another theory, though! Maybe the issue with "grown up" superhero media is that people think Alan Moore's gritty Killing Joke style is the only way to go, and it becomes too much like self-parodic self-seriousness. Like, Monkey Punch was once asked if he disliked Miyazaki's more chivalrous take on Lupin that makes the main character less of a pervert, and which was in turn influential on later material. He answered that he was not at all against Miyazaki's take, only that so many other people were slavishly trying to do the same thing as Miyazaki, and not as well, rather than doing something else different. I think there's room for an adult take on silly superheroes, but Alan Moore noir can't be the only way.

quote:
everyone who isnít Warren Ellis is doing pretty good thanks to their association with Castlevania.
It certainly applies to the Cafe and its successful and attractive clientele!

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 12 Sep 08:51]

Just a Person
2239th Post

"Re(1):Mortal Kinema" , posted Sat 12 Sep 22:35post reply

quote:

When I say "favorite" that's pretty accurate, because while this is yet another retelling of MK1 it shifts the focus to also being the origin story of MK's poster boy Scorpion. While the nominal MK heroes are off doing an "Enter the Dragon" pastiche yet again the movie spends an equal amount of time reinventing Scorpion as a sympathetic lone wolf who realizes the error of his ways in time to save the day. It's certainly a shift, but not necessarily a bad one. No matter how beautiful his hair is, poor Liu Kang isn't engaging enough to carry the story by himself.

The character designs reminds me of the chunky, stiff style of a syndicated cartoon series for kids from the 1990's. It even feels that way at points, with Raiden continuously burping out platitudes about destiny and heroism to anyone within earshot. After Raiden a one-to-grow-on lesson the movie would then immediately cut to Scorpion punching the head off a demon in hell. That juxtaposition was cheap amusement but nevertheless worked.

Speaking of which, the main selling point of the show is the violence. Unlike those 1990's cartoons where everyone had to wave weapons at each other in a non-threatening manner, people in MKL are getting chopped apart constantly. Unlike the gruesome fatalities of modern MK games, the violence in MKL is quick and kinetic, with people flying apart in sprays of neon red blood and salami slices of body parts. It's overdone and delightfully ridiculous. Watching the film put me in mind of MK: Shaolin Monks, where you could perform fatalities but other times you could be fighting a group of enemies and some guy's head would suddenly go bouncing off mid-combo. I miss Shaolin Monks, that was a fun game.

What was I talking about? Oh yeah, the MK OVA. In the end it's MK so it's ridiculous but this particular outing is the good sort of ridiculous. Even the outlaw movie critic Vern agrees with me.

I watched it, too. Your assessment is very accurate. The animation is very violent but it feels goofy rather than uncomfortable like the MKX/MK11 fatalities.

The story is very different from both the original game and the 2011 reboot, with many deaths that didn't occur in either of them (at least not during the first tournament). Then again, Boon has said that there is an entire multiverse of MK alternate realities (that's what happens when you get involved with Warner/DC, I guess), so this animation is just another one of them.

That reminds me that there is a live-action MK film being produced (though I suppose the production was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic). The few details about it made it seem like they were taking a lot of creative liberties...

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"An even better TvC" , posted Wed 16 Sep 06:04post reply

I'll post it in the Non-gaming section for now, but if this doesn't graduate to being an actual game, I'll riot in my living room.
https://www.cinra.net/news/20200915-tezuka

The cast on the illustration would be perfect! (and not just because it would be probably the last chance we have to see a BASARA character in a non-mobile game). Also the only crossover game ever without Morrigan.

I'm really puzzled by the collaboration, because I can't remember Capcom ever doing a game with Tezuka characters...? Maybe Tsujimoto have invested money in the museum. Or the Tezuka heirs funneled all the money from their horrible plan for AI-generated Tezuka volumes into Californian wineries.

Just a Person
2240th Post

"Re(1):An even better TvC" , posted Wed 16 Sep 07:42post reply

quote:
I'll post it in the Non-gaming section for now, but if this doesn't graduate to being an actual game, I'll riot in my living room.

The cast on the illustration would be perfect! (and not just because it would be probably the last chance we have to see a BASARA character in a non-mobile game). Also the only crossover game ever without Morrigan.

I'm really puzzled by the collaboration, because I can't remember Capcom ever doing a game with Tezuka characters...? Maybe Tsujimoto have invested money in the museum. Or the Tezuka heirs funneled all the money from their horrible plan for AI-generated Tezuka volumes into Californian wineries.

Looks great, indeed! But it's interesting that Ryu is nowhere to be seen in the illustration... is Capcom finally acknowledging Chun-Li as the real star in Street Fighter?

Also, am I seeing two SonSons in the illustration?

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.
Professor
5808th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):An even better TvC" , posted Wed 16 Sep 17:27post reply

quote:

This is awesome and also very puzzling indeed! What is the missing link between Capom and Tezuka productions? Hyogo prefecture is too far away for casual museum travel, but it's going to be very interesting to see how both Capcom and Tezuka artists will draw each other's various characters in this project.

"Re(2):An even better TvC" , posted Thu 17 Sep 02:57post reply

quote:

This is awesome and also very puzzling indeed! What is the missing link between Capom and Tezuka productions? Hyogo prefecture is too far away for casual museum travel, but it's going to be very interesting to see how both Capcom and Tezuka artists will draw each other's various characters in this project.

I think I'm more interested in the Capcom depictions of the Tezuka characters, because the Tezuka style is extremely well-established and because it's an institutionalized house style from a dead artist, it by design will not be changing. Capcom has multiple styles established for its games, to say nothing of the multiple styles of the artists used as exemplars of Capcom to the artists who were previously more unknown. It doesn't have a single institutional style, even if there are styles associated with particular Capcom titles.

So in that sense, there's multiple possible directions any particular one of the Capcom renditions of the Tezuka characters could take: character as if they were from game X in game X's contemporary time frame, character as if they were from game X but through the studio style of 2020, character through artist Y's idiosyncratic style, etc.