Random Thread Nongaming Edition VIIr - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (5590 Views )

user profileedit/delete message
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Random Thread Nongaming Edition VIIr" , posted Mon 1 Jun 12:21:post reply

A really interesting thing that a pal linked me to is this modern folk hero, a protest dog in Chile:

long twitter thread full of images

I did not know about this at all, and it really makes me wonder about what sorts of other folk heroes have come to be in the past decade or two in various parts of the world. There are folk heroes of all kinds, ranging from anti-authority vigilantes like Robin Hood, resisters against foreign occupiers like Wong Fei Hung, to those who united countries and became symbols of authority like King Arthur, but most of the ones I do know of are at least a century old, if not many centuries old! I know very little of the folk heroes of South America and Mexico and India and the many nations of Africa, to say nothing of Southeast Asia and many other parts of the world! If any of you do know of ones local to your region, do name them for me so that I can look them up!

[this message was edited by Spoon on Mon 1 Jun 12:38]

Replies:

neo0r0chiaku
578th Post

PSN: ShikyohMukuro
XBL: IAMDC1
Wii: n/a
STM: N/A
CFN: n/a
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Random Thread Nongaming Edition VIIr" , posted Tue 2 Jun 00:04post reply

quote:
A really interesting thing that a pal linked me to is this modern folk hero, a protest dog in Chile:

I did not know about this at all, and it really makes me wonder about what sorts of other folk heroes have come to be in the past decade or two in various parts of the world. There are folk heroes of all kinds, ranging from anti-authority vigilantes like Robin Hood, resisters against foreign occupiers like Wong Fei Hung, to those who united countries and became symbols of authority like King Arthur, but most of the ones I do know of are at least a century old, if not many centuries old! I know very little of the folk heroes of South America and Mexico and India and the many nations of Africa, to say nothing of Southeast Asia and many other parts of the world! If any of you do know of ones local to your region, do name them for me so that I can look them up!

Aw man, this story made my day. Love it. There are also 3 other dogs in Chile with a similar story and I think one still alive.

Favorite picture of matopacos is the three version of him. One of himself as normal, one in flames, and one with full of green grass. To show that although a dog, powerful when resisting but down to earth once peace is restored.

Comments mentioned dogs similar in Turkmenistan and Greece. Definitely would like to see somemmore of this.

Long Live I AM!

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(1):Random Thread Nongaming Edition VIIr" , posted Tue 2 Jun 05:43post reply

quote:

I am in love with this thread. Thank you so much for posting it, you made my day!

"Re(1):Random Thread Nongaming Edition VIIr" , posted Tue 2 Jun 13:56post reply

I know this dog!! and maybe one other. good dogs :D

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(2):Random Thread Nongaming Edition VIIr" , posted Wed 3 Jun 04:55post reply

I love everything about that thread, up to and including John Wick as the Patron Saint of Good Dogs.

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(1):Random Thread Nongaming Edition VIIr" , posted Thu 4 Jun 12:08post reply

quote:
A really interesting thing that a pal linked me to is this modern folk hero, a protest dog in Chile
While I can't be sure, I like to think that our favorite Chilean, Toxico, would approve.

As for non-canine folk heroes, Spoon, you should probably look into Ishikawa Goemon---no, not his supposed successor Ishikawa Goemon XIII of Lupin III---the real-life virtuous thief who robbed from the rich and gave to the poor, and tried to assassinate the mighty daimyou Toyotomi Hideyoshi and maybe even Wakamoto Norio Oda Nobunaga. Unlike his English Robin Hood counterpart, he was unsuccessful and boiled alive, but the legend lives on in kabuki and in the hearts of all virtuous thieves.

The other guy who came immediately to mind is souhei warrior monk Benkei, famous for roaming the land and attempting to collect 1000 swords from samurai. Famous for dying standing up, and staying that way, even after being pierced by arrows. He's the model for the Final Fantasy series' Gilgamesh, to bring it back to games.

The most famous American outlaw hero, of course, has to be Billy the Kid, another bandit figure and a famous train robber, also based in fact. Famed composer Aaron Copeland (who essentially established modern American-style classical music as differentiated from the centuries-old European composers and thus ensured that classical music would one day become the soundtrack music of choice for movies) wrote the Billy the Kid suite, a magnificent score for a ballet about Billy the Kid that totally evokes the wild prairie and Sega blue skies before they were Sega.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

"Fight Island, or UFC and wacky/dumb ideas" , posted Wed 10 Jun 05:11post reply

It's totally not KOF, complete with a competitor named Alexander

I am glad that they aren't getting crowds of people to attend the matches, because that was the real biggest problem in the current COVID dominated world. The extreme close proximity of many people to each other and all the yelling means it could easily be a super-spreader environment for the disease.

"Re(1):Fight Island, or UFC and wacky/dumb ide" , posted Thu 11 Jun 01:11post reply

quote:
It's totally not KOF, complete with a competitor named Alexander

I am glad that they aren't getting crowds of people to attend the matches, because that was the real biggest problem in the current COVID dominated world. The extreme close proximity of many people to each other and all the yelling means it could easily be a super-spreader environment for the disease.

This is right out of a comic book. Will Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa be the master of ceremonies? Will Dana White wear a nehru jacket? If they are going to do something this dumb they need to go all in.

"black anime" , posted Fri 12 Jun 07:58:post reply

Woah! Brandon shared a cool article on the first black-owned anime studio in Japan. You'd better believe I had no idea this existed! Every so often, you'll hear a tale from a non-Japanese person who worked in the industry, like at Gainax or Ghibli or somewhere, but this is cool and brand-new to me.

Edit: more interesting still, they've also contributed not only to MMCafe's favorite series, Dracula, in the form of the Netflix TV show, but also to Gintama, which is hot hot hot

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 12 Jun 08:01]

"Re(1):black anime" , posted Fri 12 Jun 22:18post reply

quote:
Woah! Brandon shared a cool article on the first black-owned anime studio in Japan. You'd better believe I had no idea this existed! Every so often, you'll hear a tale from a non-Japanese person who worked in the industry, like at Gainax or Ghibli or somewhere, but this is cool and brand-new to me.

Edit: more interesting still, they've also contributed not only to MMCafe's favorite series, Dracula, in the form of the Netflix TV show, but also to Gintama, which is hot hot hot

Impressive! It's even more impressive when you remember how absurdly underpaid most people in the anime industry are, so traveling to the other side of the world just to get paid peanuts is a real labor of love.

"Re(2):black anime" , posted Tue 16 Jun 03:08post reply

There's this tribute book edited by Itoi for MOTHER and it's named Pollyanna

And it made me miss Pollyanna I hope she's doing well!

"Re(3):Pollyannime" , posted Tue 16 Jun 10:38:post reply

quote:
There's this tribute book edited by Itoi for MOTHER and it's named Pollyanna

And here Iggy and I were so sure that our strategy of leaving friendly stalker-ish notes on her Steam profile would somehow catch her attention to lure her back! Who knew?

I think of her whenever I think of Tales of the Abyss, which was pretty good and all thanks to her! Along with many other interesting observations and conversations, of course. Sometimes I think of creating a Bring Back POLLY thread after the success with ONSY, but I figure that if the Toxico tribute thread didn't naturally summon her, nothing would.

On the subject of Itoi, who might be one of the finest writers around today (I can't tell if writing PR copy was a waste of his time, or whether he elevated the already excellent Japanese PR world to new levels with the Ghibli ads he's famous for), it's always good writing at his site, the Hobo Nikkan Itoi Shinbun, the Almost-Daily Itoi Newspaper.

...or at least it was before, though I find it too cluttered now. I was super-confused to find there was an English version of the Japanese store, but then realized it's probably because it's now this Muji(rushi)-like design shop. I take it as a problem that I literally could not even find the book section without an internet search. That's too bad, because there are some great collections from his pithy daily journals, and his press also published this book on dearly departed Nintendo president Iwata Satoru that collected his Iwata Asks columns and also had special interviews with Itoi.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 16 Jun 10:48]

Professor
5789th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Pollyannime" , posted Tue 16 Jun 20:52:post reply

I think Polly is on my PSN friends list but nowadays everyone is in private mode!

On a different note, Steam Greese might just be the next new platform for gaming.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 16 Jun 22:02]

PSN: Kusanagi82
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Pollyannime" , posted Wed 17 Jun 04:33post reply

quote:
I think Polly is on my PSN friends list but nowadays everyone is in private mode!

Same here; let me try to reach out to her.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

"Re(5):Pollyannime" , posted Wed 17 Jun 11:51post reply

quote:

On a different note, Steam Greese might just be the next new platform for gaming.

What's extra-amazing about this is that this isn't even the first Colonel Sanders-related game news in the past couple of years. What's even more interesting is that the dating sim just might be...one of the highest-rated games on Steam!?!? CHOW DOWN

"Re(5):Pollyannime" , posted Thu 18 Jun 01:29post reply

quote:

Yes, it may be filled with scalding hot grease but -unlike the PS5- at least it looks fairly solid and won't tip over.

PSN: n/a
Wii: Switch:SW-3634-5515-7312
Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(6):Pollyannime" , posted Thu 18 Jun 01:37post reply

quote:

Yes, it may be filled with scalding hot grease but -unlike the PS5- at least it looks fairly solid and won't tip over.

Drumbstick controllers with FingerLickin Sense.

"Re(6):Pollyannime" , posted Thu 18 Jun 14:08post reply

quote:

Same here; let me try to reach out to her.

I sent an email saying folks want to get in touch! Not sure if it's still in use though.

PSN: Drakee
XBL: eccothedolphin
CFN: eccothedolphin
Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):black anime" , posted Thu 2 Jul 14:05post reply

quote:

I think the last time I spoke to her was on PSN to be sure she knew when Toxico passed... that was several years ago now. Hope all is well with her.

Hope all is well with all of you! I don't show up here enough these days!

"Re(4):black anime" , posted Fri 3 Jul 04:09post reply

quote:

Hope all is well with all of you! I don't show up here enough these days!

Yes! It's good to see you back here. Stick around, regardless of whether you are able to successfully complete the bounty to bring Polly back!

"New Sega Consoles" , posted Tue 28 Jul 22:47post reply

Tiny, tiny, Sega consoles designed as toy accessories.

"Re(1):New Sega Consoles" , posted Thu 30 Jul 08:46post reply

NEW SEGA CONSOLES???
quote:
Tiny, tiny, Sega consoles designed as toy accessories.

Oh.

In between this and the Sega Toys Astro City Mini, Sega is toying with my heart even more than in the 32 bit days. We can only keep dreaming of Blue Skies in Games.

"Re(2):New Sega...President?" , posted Sun 2 Aug 09:14post reply

This kinda caught me off-guard. "Personal reasons", huh?

"Mortal Kinema" , posted Fri 11 Sep 08:50post reply

I'm never one to pass up multimedia tie-ins to fighting games, so I was curious about Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge. Not curious enough to buy it, mind you, but curious. Luckily, my local public library had a copy(!) so I got to check out the latest adaptation of our favorite kombatants.

When I say "favorite" that's pretty accurate, because while this is yet another retelling of MK1 it shifts the focus to also being the origin story of MK's poster boy Scorpion. While the nominal MK heroes are off doing an "Enter the Dragon" pastiche yet again the movie spends an equal amount of time reinventing Scorpion as a sympathetic lone wolf who realizes the error of his ways in time to save the day. It's certainly a shift, but not necessarily a bad one. No matter how beautiful his hair is, poor Liu Kang isn't engaging enough to carry the story by himself.

The character designs reminds me of the chunky, stiff style of a syndicated cartoon series for kids from the 1990's. It even feels that way at points, with Raiden continuously burping out platitudes about destiny and heroism to anyone within earshot. After Raiden a one-to-grow-on lesson the movie would then immediately cut to Scorpion punching the head off a demon in hell. That juxtaposition was cheap amusement but nevertheless worked.

Speaking of which, the main selling point of the show is the violence. Unlike those 1990's cartoons where everyone had to wave weapons at each other in a non-threatening manner, people in MKL are getting chopped apart constantly. Unlike the gruesome fatalities of modern MK games, the violence in MKL is quick and kinetic, with people flying apart in sprays of neon red blood and salami slices of body parts. It's overdone and delightfully ridiculous. Watching the film put me in mind of MK: Shaolin Monks, where you could perform fatalities but other times you could be fighting a group of enemies and some guy's head would suddenly go bouncing off mid-combo. I miss Shaolin Monks, that was a fun game.

What was I talking about? Oh yeah, the MK OVA. In the end it's MK so it's ridiculous but this particular outing is the good sort of ridiculous. Even the outlaw movie critic Vern agrees with me.

"Re(1):Mortal Kinema" , posted Fri 11 Sep 09:14post reply

quote:
I'm never one to pass up multimedia tie-ins to fighting games, so I was curious about Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge. Not curious enough to buy it, mind you, but curious. Luckily, my local public library had a copy(!) so I got to check out the latest adaptation of our favorite kombatants.

Speaking of later/modern Warner Brothers DC/Neatherealm animated adaptations, I somehow managed to see The Killing Joke one time on HBO, and now I'm curious as to what people thinking about these "matured-up cartoons from my childhood" or if its trying too hard to emulate/to ape Japanese animation in terms of storytelling at times (animation skill might be an entirely different argument/debate as recent shows have been channeling the inner-sakuga of newer talent).

Speaking of which, guess new studios are born everyday...

"Re(2):Mortal Kinema" , posted Sat 12 Sep 08:06post reply

quote:

Speaking of which, guess new studios are born everyday...

Interesting! Between this studio and D’ART Shtajio mentioned earlier in the thread it seems that everyone who isn’t Warren Ellis is doing pretty good thanks to their association with Castlevania.

"Re(2):Mortal Kinema" , posted Sat 12 Sep 08:46:post reply

quote:
I somehow managed to see The Killing Joke one time on HBO, and now I'm curious as to what people thinking about these "matured-up cartoons from my childhood" or if its trying too hard
I'm probably going to get in trouble with Onsy's ghost, but the way I see it, American superhero comics trying to be mature is always going to be a losing battle because the century-old basic premise is so childish. And I say this as someone who loves good fantasy and mythology, so that's not the problem! It's that at the core, you have a collection of characters originally designed for children, where the creative process was literally indistinguishable from what small schoolchildren might've said back and forth: "Oh, check this out, I'm inventing a character who has spider power!" "Ah, but mine is invincible!" "Mine dresses like a bat!" "Mine has the power of the birds!" "Mine has water power!" You see what I mean.

That said, the Gotham aesthetic and bat theme might've made Batman less ridiculous when made darker later on, and the animated series is a nice mix of approximately Shounen Jump-level drama that's fun with some actual adult themes. But in the end, it's still a challenge working with a guy wearing tights and underwear outside his pants with a big bat symbol on his chest in a world of secret identities and villains in elaborate villain costumes.

I've got another theory, though! Maybe the issue with "grown up" superhero media is that people think Alan Moore's gritty Killing Joke style is the only way to go, and it becomes too much like self-parodic self-seriousness. Like, Monkey Punch was once asked if he disliked Miyazaki's more chivalrous take on Lupin that makes the main character less of a pervert, and which was in turn influential on later material. He answered that he was not at all against Miyazaki's take, only that so many other people were slavishly trying to do the same thing as Miyazaki, and not as well, rather than doing something else different. I think there's room for an adult take on silly superheroes, but Alan Moore noir can't be the only way.

quote:
everyone who isn’t Warren Ellis is doing pretty good thanks to their association with Castlevania.
It certainly applies to the Cafe and its successful and attractive clientele!

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 12 Sep 08:51]

Just a Person
2239th Post

"Re(1):Mortal Kinema" , posted Sat 12 Sep 22:35post reply

quote:

When I say "favorite" that's pretty accurate, because while this is yet another retelling of MK1 it shifts the focus to also being the origin story of MK's poster boy Scorpion. While the nominal MK heroes are off doing an "Enter the Dragon" pastiche yet again the movie spends an equal amount of time reinventing Scorpion as a sympathetic lone wolf who realizes the error of his ways in time to save the day. It's certainly a shift, but not necessarily a bad one. No matter how beautiful his hair is, poor Liu Kang isn't engaging enough to carry the story by himself.

The character designs reminds me of the chunky, stiff style of a syndicated cartoon series for kids from the 1990's. It even feels that way at points, with Raiden continuously burping out platitudes about destiny and heroism to anyone within earshot. After Raiden a one-to-grow-on lesson the movie would then immediately cut to Scorpion punching the head off a demon in hell. That juxtaposition was cheap amusement but nevertheless worked.

Speaking of which, the main selling point of the show is the violence. Unlike those 1990's cartoons where everyone had to wave weapons at each other in a non-threatening manner, people in MKL are getting chopped apart constantly. Unlike the gruesome fatalities of modern MK games, the violence in MKL is quick and kinetic, with people flying apart in sprays of neon red blood and salami slices of body parts. It's overdone and delightfully ridiculous. Watching the film put me in mind of MK: Shaolin Monks, where you could perform fatalities but other times you could be fighting a group of enemies and some guy's head would suddenly go bouncing off mid-combo. I miss Shaolin Monks, that was a fun game.

What was I talking about? Oh yeah, the MK OVA. In the end it's MK so it's ridiculous but this particular outing is the good sort of ridiculous. Even the outlaw movie critic Vern agrees with me.

I watched it, too. Your assessment is very accurate. The animation is very violent but it feels goofy rather than uncomfortable like the MKX/MK11 fatalities.

The story is very different from both the original game and the 2011 reboot, with many deaths that didn't occur in either of them (at least not during the first tournament). Then again, Boon has said that there is an entire multiverse of MK alternate realities (that's what happens when you get involved with Warner/DC, I guess), so this animation is just another one of them.

That reminds me that there is a live-action MK film being produced (though I suppose the production was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic). The few details about it made it seem like they were taking a lot of creative liberties...

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"An even better TvC" , posted Wed 16 Sep 06:04post reply

I'll post it in the Non-gaming section for now, but if this doesn't graduate to being an actual game, I'll riot in my living room.
https://www.cinra.net/news/20200915-tezuka

The cast on the illustration would be perfect! (and not just because it would be probably the last chance we have to see a BASARA character in a non-mobile game). Also the only crossover game ever without Morrigan.

I'm really puzzled by the collaboration, because I can't remember Capcom ever doing a game with Tezuka characters...? Maybe Tsujimoto have invested money in the museum. Or the Tezuka heirs funneled all the money from their horrible plan for AI-generated Tezuka volumes into Californian wineries.

Just a Person
2240th Post

"Re(1):An even better TvC" , posted Wed 16 Sep 07:42post reply

quote:
I'll post it in the Non-gaming section for now, but if this doesn't graduate to being an actual game, I'll riot in my living room.

The cast on the illustration would be perfect! (and not just because it would be probably the last chance we have to see a BASARA character in a non-mobile game). Also the only crossover game ever without Morrigan.

I'm really puzzled by the collaboration, because I can't remember Capcom ever doing a game with Tezuka characters...? Maybe Tsujimoto have invested money in the museum. Or the Tezuka heirs funneled all the money from their horrible plan for AI-generated Tezuka volumes into Californian wineries.

Looks great, indeed! But it's interesting that Ryu is nowhere to be seen in the illustration... is Capcom finally acknowledging Chun-Li as the real star in Street Fighter?

Also, am I seeing two SonSons in the illustration?

Professor
5808th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):An even better TvC" , posted Wed 16 Sep 17:27post reply

quote:

This is awesome and also very puzzling indeed! What is the missing link between Capom and Tezuka productions? Hyogo prefecture is too far away for casual museum travel, but it's going to be very interesting to see how both Capcom and Tezuka artists will draw each other's various characters in this project.

"Re(2):An even better TvC" , posted Thu 17 Sep 02:57post reply

quote:

This is awesome and also very puzzling indeed! What is the missing link between Capom and Tezuka productions? Hyogo prefecture is too far away for casual museum travel, but it's going to be very interesting to see how both Capcom and Tezuka artists will draw each other's various characters in this project.

I think I'm more interested in the Capcom depictions of the Tezuka characters, because the Tezuka style is extremely well-established and because it's an institutionalized house style from a dead artist, it by design will not be changing. Capcom has multiple styles established for its games, to say nothing of the multiple styles of the artists used as exemplars of Capcom to the artists who were previously more unknown. It doesn't have a single institutional style, even if there are styles associated with particular Capcom titles.

So in that sense, there's multiple possible directions any particular one of the Capcom renditions of the Tezuka characters could take: character as if they were from game X in game X's contemporary time frame, character as if they were from game X but through the studio style of 2020, character through artist Y's idiosyncratic style, etc.

Neo0r0chiaku
594th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Dragon Ball Z in UK and Spanish DUB" , posted Sun 27 Sep 04:08post reply

Recently saw an video about the UK experience of Dragon Ball Z. During it's on air run, it went through nearly 5 different voice studios. Which also includes the movies and TV specials. It was an confusion time for those who grew up with the show. Ocean studios did the majority but sadly, none of the studios who did the UK dub is available at home media. Home media releases are only available by the recent Funimation studios, yes that corny cast of voices.

I know everyone has heard there taste on Funimation dub of Dragon Ball Z. All I will say is poor execution and unnecessary extra lines and cheap comedic punches. I hated.

Ocean dub, pioneer , who did the first 52 I my opinion did a fantastic job. Even with the music. Yes, they may have censored the show to an extreme that I agree was not cool. But, again, execution is a key factor here. They still executed there style in a more positive note.

I did notice some voice actors, who continued the dub in UK, acting sort of fell down a bit. Although, they where in a more rush deadline for the airing in the UK. So I can see that the voice acting did seem low compared to the first episodes. It did seemed rush and it was noticable.

Anyways, how can I find the Spanish dub of dragon Ball Z? Would like to buy that if it's available.

Long Live I AM!

"Re(1):Dragon Ball Z in UK and Spanish DUB" , posted Sun 27 Sep 08:13post reply

I don't know much about dubs, let alone UK dubs, but I'll never miss a chance to post the inaccurate but perfect and hilarious BBC dub of Urusei Yatsura that even references Pokemon and other things that were created long after the show itself.

There's probably a whole bizarre cultural anthropology to be enjoyed by watching shows that are not only old but dubbed long ago, for double the obscure cultural references. Discotek has often collected various dubs over the years in addition to their very good subtitling work. For Lupin vs. the Clone/Mystery of Mamo, they are the only people who went to the trouble of finding the obscure Japan Airlines in-flight dub from 1978 or so that was never released on video in any region. If they get their hands on Dragon Ball ever, you'll be in luck!

But in the meantime, at least you'll always have the also inaccurate but marvelous Mystery Science Theater 3000 dub approach to the Kyattoninden Teyandee dub, Samurai Pizza Cats!

Ungenesis
546th Post

PSN: entropytempts
XBL: ungenesis9
Wii: SW-3287-7029-8309(Switch)
STM: ungenesis
CFN: ungenesis
New Red Carpet Member

"New Evangelion: Thrice Upon A Time trailer" , posted Fri 16 Oct 14:05:post reply

Trailer 3: https://youtu.be/-CEjqATcPAg

For anyone catching up,
Trailer 1
Trailer 2
Preview of the first 10 minutes

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

Switch: SW-3287-7029-8309

[this message was edited by Ungenesis on Fri 16 Oct 14:38]

KTallguy
1568th Post

PSN: KTallguy
STM: KTallguy
Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):New Evangelion: Thrice Upon A Time trai" , posted Mon 19 Oct 15:34post reply

quote:
Trailer 3: https://youtu.be/-CEjqATcPAg

For anyone catching up,
Trailer 1
Trailer 2
Preview of the first 10 minutes

I expect nothing less than for Anno-san to utterly obliterate his creation. I hope he grinds it into gritty, shiny dust. :)

"Re(2):New Evangelion: Thrice Upon A Time trai" , posted Wed 21 Oct 07:50post reply

I haven't been keeping up with latest retelling of the Eva cycle so I have no idea what is going on in these trailers. Is this worth watching?

Those vacuum-sealed pants were hilarious. Putting those on must be quite the sensation!

"Re(3):New Evangelion: Thrice Upon A Delay" , posted Wed 21 Oct 12:31:post reply

quote:
I haven't been keeping up with latest retelling of the Eva cycle so I have no idea what is going on in these trailers. Is this worth watching?

Those vacuum-sealed pants were hilarious. Putting those on must be quite the sensation!

As with all series whose sequels and remakes wear out their welcome, I wonder what the new Eva is hoping to accomplish. The production issues seem to tragically mirror Anno's same psychological problems that led to a seeming collapse of the latter half of the show in the 1990s, but somehow it's even more uncomfortable when the breakdown is a massively budgeted production rather than the increasingly bare-bones original Eva. Auteur films are interesting, but I'm trying to figure out how much more we need to see of Anno's conflicted relationship with his own creation.

I guess it's giving fans more of what they want? But like all the dumb Star Wars sequels that focus too much on swordfights and recreating the originals, I can't help but wonder if a lot of Eva superfans were more interested in their imagining of the show as seen in the "fun with high school mecha" from the merchandise rather than what actually aired on TV.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 21 Oct 13:17]

"Re(4):New Evangelion: Thrice Upon A Delay" , posted Thu 22 Oct 10:30:post reply

quote:

As with all series whose sequels and remakes wear out their welcome, I wonder what the new Eva is hoping to accomplish. The production issues seem to tragically mirror Anno's same psychological problems that led to a seeming collapse of the latter half of the show in the 1990s, but somehow it's even more uncomfortable when the breakdown is a massively budgeted production rather than the increasingly bare-bones original Eva. Auteur films are interesting, but I'm trying to figure out how much more we need to see of Anno's conflicted relationship with his own creation.

I guess it's giving fans more of what they want? But like all the dumb Star Wars sequels that focus too much on swordfights and recreating the originals, I can't help but wonder if a lot of Eva superfans were more interested in their imagining of the show as seen in the "fun with high school mecha" from the merchandise rather than what actually aired on TV.

Here's kind of an amusing thought I had about EVA:
In terms of raw imagery/designs/etc. it is enormously influential. For many people it was frankly the coolest thing they had ever seen.

For all the young people who were teens or thereabouts when seeing it, the angst and pain the show expressed with protagonists not so far in age from themselves was deeply relatable. It was a show where the hero wasn't just often cowardly, but was excoriated for it constantly, and actually performing acts of heroism only led to fleeting success. Which ultimately would loop back to how as a depressive it was emotionally difficult for him to get his ass in gear, and the fleetingness of that success would just play back into his deep angst.

So now that all those people who were teenagers and felt to strongly about EVA back when they were Shinji's now are adults and still love EVA, to say nothing of an entire generation of studio artists who have grown up admiring EVA, they don't just want to make something with all the cool stuff of EVA... they want fulfillment for the characters who were all so famously unhappy. They want them to be able to be able to heroic and cool in an unqualified way. Many of these artists are no longer angsty teenagers, but adult professionals. They might not be rich, famous, and beautiful, but they crucially no longer have the sadness and anger that has a sharpness you can't really when you aren't still within a stone's throw of puberty. As such, the work tends towards something warmer/nicer/happier with potential for happy endings for everyone.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Thu 22 Oct 10:31]

Professor
5815th Post

MMCafe Owner

"A cat is fine, too" , posted Fri 23 Oct 04:04:post reply

Taking a slight curve on the topic of anime, this season's line-up is unfortunately pretty stale but Assult Lily just had an Endcard done by Kinu Nishimura. With her artistic magic, the characters that look like this have turned Dragon's Crown Amazonic thigh muscular like this. And that's something to dance about.

Cat Here

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 23 Oct 04:55]

"Re(1):A cat is fine, too" , posted Mon 26 Oct 00:21post reply

quote:
Assult Lily just had an Endcard done by Kinu Nishimura. With her artistic magic, the characters that look like this have turned Dragon's Crown Amazonic thigh muscular like this. And that's something to dance about.
Cat Here

Kinu's art is enough to launch us into a glorious eternal celebratory dance in space aboard the Nyan Cat. The risk with including her, of course, is that you draw attention to how mediocre a lot of the CG-jammed anime industry has been for the past twenty years while she's been doing better things. Just imagine a series where she does the artistic direction, though...I never thought I'd be asking for Street Fighter V-2 (not 5, but the V for Victory anime), directed by her, until now...

Professor
5816th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):A cat is fine, too" , posted Tue 27 Oct 02:06:post reply

quote:
Kinu's art is enough to launch us into a glorious eternal celebratory dance in space aboard the Nyan Cat. The risk with including her, of course, is that you draw attention to how mediocre a lot of the CG-jammed anime industry has been for the past twenty years while she's been doing better things. Just imagine a series where she does the artistic direction, though...I never thought I'd be asking for Street Fighter V-2 (not 5, but the V for Victory anime), directed by her, until now...

That reminds me of something that aired last season and tried to be a masterpiece featuring character designs by the great Yoshitaka Amano! ...And it came out being... oh boy... .. .

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 27 Oct 02:49]

"Re(3):A cat is fine, too" , posted Tue 27 Oct 02:28post reply

quote:

That reminds me of a new anime that aired last season and tried to be a masterpiece featuring character designs by the great Yoshitaka Amano! ...And it came out being... oh boy... .. .

phew, looks like the standard design quality we’ve been seeing for 20 years, with no trace of Amano. I guess only the legendary Vampire Hunter D has pulled off using a Serious Outside Designer that effectively.

Professor
5816th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):A cat is fine, too" , posted Tue 27 Oct 03:02post reply

quote:
phew, looks like the standard design quality we’ve been seeing for 20 years, with no trace of Amano. I guess only the legendary Vampire Hunter D has pulled off using a Serious Outside Designer that effectively.

The true beauty of that anime is how awkward the storytelling and lines are from Episode 1, to a point it may possibly get undusted and appriciated in a decade or two as a cult title. It has that same scent as a bad SNES/Super Famicom RPG

"Re(5):A chicken is fine, too" , posted Thu 10 Dec 00:07post reply

Did we talk about how a sexy Colonel Sanders movie is coming out this holiday season? No, it's probably best if we didn't mention it.

"Re(6):A chicken is fine, too" , posted Tue 15 Dec 02:29post reply

quote:
Did we talk about how a sexy Colonel Sanders movie is coming out this holiday season? No, it's probably best if we didn't mention it.

Sometimes I wonder whether the Colonel, a perennial MMC topic since at least that late 1990s/early 2000s news article on Samurai Sanders, belongs in Random Non-game, the Cooking Thread, or his very own thread. Then I remember that he belongs in ALL threads.

Is this movie the logical live-action extension of the Colonel Sanders dating sim for PC?! Which I am very embarrassed not to have downloaded yet?!

Lord SNK
479th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):A chicken is fine, too" , posted Wed 23 Dec 22:07post reply

quote:

Is this movie the logical live-action extension of the Colonel Sanders dating sim for PC?! Which I am very embarrassed not to have downloaded yet?!

Soon we could play the KFC dating sim on the KFConsole for the best KFC experience ever.
It looks like this console is real and not a joke.

"Re(8):A chicken is fine, too" , posted Thu 24 Dec 08:42post reply

quote:

Soon we could play the KFC dating sim on the KFConsole for the best KFC experience ever.

Wait, this is real?!?

This may be the dumbest promotional item ever... should I buy it?

"Re(9):A chicken is fine, too" , posted Thu 24 Dec 12:21post reply

quote:

Wait, this is real?!?

This may be the dumbest promotional item ever... should I buy it?

AMAZING. As the internet's leading nexus of video games and food, the Cafe surely obliges its entire membership to buy at least three copies of the KFCstation.

If remaining at the center of weird vaguely game- and entertainment-related endeavors if part of the the company's PR plan to keep me thinking about their food, it's definitely working.

Yuki Yagami

230th Post

Frequent Customer

"Toei Animation and Saudi Arabia" , posted Mon 4 Jan 22:37:post reply

While we were talking about MiSK Foundation's planned majority stake on SNK, they (through Manga Productions) have partnered with Toei Animation for a while, and it was confirmed recently that their co-produced anime, "Asateer -- Future's Folktales" is renewed for a second season.

The first season was kind of successful reaching 70 million in viewership in various platforms.

They have partnered with them for a while. Staring with "The Woodcutter's Treasure" and last year, they released an anime movie called "The Journey". (Note: I am not sure what happened to this after the pandemic struck.)

IIRC, Saudi Arabia had some involvement with One Piece: Stampede.

I did made a small research if Toei Animation is listed in the Japanese Stock Market. (And yes, they are)

I won't be surprised if they suddenly had an investment (at least, a 10-15% minority stake) with Toei Animation in the future.

Then this question again, "If you quit KOF (or any SNK games) because of Saudi Arabia, will you do the same with One Piece or Dragon Ball (or any anime from Toei animation) if Saudi (even a minority stake) is suddenly involved with the ownership of the company like SNK?"

But then again...
"And now my enjoyment of said product has to be tied to a political statement?"

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

[this message was edited by Yuki Yagami on Mon 4 Jan 22:40]

"Re(1):Toei Animation and Saudi Arabia" , posted Mon 4 Jan 23:41post reply

quote:
will you do the same with One Piece or Dragon Ball (or any anime from Toei animation)

I had no clue that is supposed to be a difficult choice to make in this day and age and in the age group of the Café's clientele.

Yuki Yagami

231th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Toei Animation and Saudi Arabia" , posted Tue 5 Jan 00:20:post reply

quote:
will you do the same with One Piece or Dragon Ball (or any anime from Toei animation)
I had no clue that is supposed to be a difficult choice to make in this day and age and in the age group of the Café's clientele.

Sigh. Well, I know some Cafe customers got heartbroken when the news came out. Not supporting things anymore because the prospect owner was involved in heavy crimes such as indiscriminate attacks on neighboring countries (intentional or not) and such. Also there are some people outside the Cafe are "conflicted" about the situation.

I can also blame some stuff I read on twitter long ago that these people say buying products = supporting that man's crimes, etc. for putting up questions like these. ("What if it is on your shoes?" kind of argument)

Then again, I was advised by a Discord member to ignore such critics in twitter until they get exhausted.

Sorry if I was a bit paranoid as January 12th approaches.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

[this message was edited by Yuki Yagami on Tue 5 Jan 01:14]

Professor
5839th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Toei Animation and Saudi Arabia" , posted Tue 5 Jan 01:34:post reply

quote:
Sorry if I was a bit paranoid.

Don't daunt yourself over it too much. And don't let others decide on what you should or should not enjoy; it's a decision that's up to you, for whatever reason you may have.

That said, I really do wonder how KOF15 will turn out-- the most likely chances would be recycled assets from KOF14 but with better shaders. I can't say that I'm looking forward to that.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 5 Jan 01:35]

"Re(4):Toei Animation and Saudi Arabia" , posted Tue 5 Jan 01:57post reply

quote:
That said, I really do wonder how KOF15 will turn out-- the most likely chances would be recycled assets from KOF14 but with better shaders. I can't say that I'm looking forward to that.

When it comes to disappointing fans, SNK doesn't need outside help.

Professor
5840th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Sumo wrestlers and tasteless pots" , posted Tue 5 Jan 16:38:post reply

I'm not sure how the nongaming edition thread turned into a gaming thread but turning things back, here's a news bit that caught my attention today the way it sort of symbolizes how things are right now in Japan: Hakuho, the top honcho in the wacky world of sumo wrestling, was diagnosed with covid today and a good number of people are thinking this may as well lead to his retirement. He noticed that he's tasteless and discovered himself to be positive after testing, not that he's missing much on his daily chanco/sumo pot considering it's not really a tasty dish.

There's no question that sumo wrestlers are overweight and generally have diabetes and hypertention, so I do wonder where this will lead to, especially since the current season is just 5 days away and the wrestlers have been going full-contact at their small sumo gyms.

On a trivial note, Japanese pro wrestlers also had a tendency to have diabetes since their roots stemmed from sumo and they used to have a same diet in the yesteryears. Things are better now and they take protein instead. M-U-S-C-L-E-!

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 5 Jan 20:01]

"Re(1):Sumo wrestlers and tasteless pots" , posted Wed 6 Jan 04:54post reply

quote:
I'm not sure how the nongaming edition thread turned into a gaming thread but turning things back, here's a news bit that caught my attention today the way it sort of symbolizes how things are right now in Japan: Hakuho, the top honcho in the wacky world of sumo wrestling, was diagnosed with covid today and a good number of people are thinking this may as well lead to his retirement. He noticed that he's tasteless and discovered himself to be positive after testing, not that he's missing much on his daily chanco/sumo pot considering it's not really a tasty dish.

There's no question that sumo wrestlers are overweight and generally have diabetes and hypertention, so I do wonder where this will lead to, especially since the current season is just 5 days away and the wrestlers have been going full-contact at their small sumo gyms.

On a trivial note, Japanese pro wrestlers also had a tendency to have diabetes since their roots stemmed from sumo and they used to have a same diet in the yesteryears. Things are better now and they take protein instead. M-U-S-C-L-E-!

I just want to point out that there's a twitch channel which regularly streams sumo, and the twitch chat participants are often both very knowledgeable and demand civility from the chat! I often have it on in to provide background in the evening!
It is also the English broadcast, and the English commentators provide a lot of background on things.

I think sumo is interesting in that it is extremely different from most other combat sports in the extreme shortness of its matches. I know I've talked about this before in fighting game threads, but it's really interesting how sumo wrestling is a seconds-long sprint while fencing/boxing/mma/judo/greco-roman wrestling/TKD/etc. are all marathons playing with many points or rounds in comparison.

"Re(2):Sumo wrestlers and tasteless pots" , posted Thu 7 Jan 02:48post reply

quote:
I just want to point out that there's a twitch channel which regularly streams sumo, and the twitch chat participants are often both very knowledgeable and demand civility from the chat! I often have it on in to provide background in the evening!
It is also the English broadcast, and the English commentators provide a lot of background on things.

I think sumo is interesting in that it is extremely different from most other combat sports in the extreme shortness of its matches. I know I've talked about this before in fighting game threads, but it's really interesting how sumo wrestling is a seconds-long sprint while fencing/boxing/mma/judo/greco-roman wrestling/TKD/etc. are all marathons playing with many points or rounds in comparison.

Wow, thanks for pointing this out! I'll gladly watch sumo on twitch.

Just for fun, I need to start following sumo, farming simulators and other weird things just to see how much I can mess up twitch's recommendation algorithms.

Neo0r0chiaku
602th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"New Mortal Kombat Live Action Film" , posted Tue 23 Feb 00:49post reply

What do the cafe members think of the new MK film announced? I am actually quite happy and excited. However, I have one big doubt.

I have not watched movies in years. Seems to be repetitive in nature. And nothing innovative. This new character shown in the trailer, a young clueless guy with no ties, has a huge impact on how this film turns out.

If it's the same scenario, "oohh.....I am involved, so I will tag along and try my best...and in the end I save the day...."

If that happens again, I will be enraged. This movie looks awesome to have another repetitive Hollywood script kill it.

Long Live I AM!
Just a Person
2269th Post

"Re(1):New Mortal Kombat Live Action Film" , posted Tue 23 Feb 04:40:post reply

quote:
What do the cafe members think of the new MK film announced? I am actually quite happy and excited. However, I have one big doubt.

I have not watched movies in years. Seems to be repetitive in nature. And nothing innovative. This new character shown in the trailer, a young clueless guy with no ties, has a huge impact on how this film turns out.

If it's the same scenario, "oohh.....I am involved, so I will tag along and try my best...and in the end I save the day...."

If that happens again, I will be enraged. This movie looks awesome to have another repetitive Hollywood script kill it.

Its plot seems to be similar to the first film, only with focus on the new guy instead of Liu Kang, and with much more blood and violence.

Johnny Cage's absence can sorta be justified by this new guy taking his spot. One thing I don't get, however, is why the team behind this film thought it would be a good idea to use Mileena (a.k.a. Kitana's clone)... but not Kitana. I read somewhere that apparently they intend to only add her in the sequel - problem is, there is a good chance that this film won't get one. And even if it does, it's unlikely that Mileena will survive the events of this film, so the two of them won't even meet each other, ignoring their huge rivalry in the games...

That said, the characterizations do look pretty good.

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Tue 23 Feb 05:00]

Just a Person
2290th Post

"From Mortal Kombat to Stone Ocean" , posted Thu 8 Apr 00:35:post reply

Anyway, between this MK film and the one for Resident Evil (which will ignore the films with Milla Jovovich and be based on the first two games), could 2021 be the year where films based on video games finally overcome the superhero films and become the new trend?

I must admit, I'm very eager to watch both MK and RE (despite having very low tolerance for gore and thus being a living contradiction).

---

EDIT: I didn't feel like doing a third post in a row, so I'm just editing my second one to comment that JJBA's Stone Ocean is getting adapted to anime. That means the entire story before the JJBA universe was rebooted will finally be completely animated.

As for all the story that comes after the reboot, well... JoJolion was already being published when Phantom Blood got adapted to anime; now Stone Ocean is being adapted and JoJolion is still not over, so... yeah. In fact, I wonder if Araki will even write a Part 9 to the series after JoJolion is over.

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Sat 10 Apr 22:46]

"Re(1):From Mortal Kombat to Stone Ocean" , posted Mon 12 Apr 23:50post reply

quote:

EDIT: I didn't feel like doing a third post in a row, so I'm just editing my second one to comment that JJBA's Stone Ocean is getting adapted to anime. That means the entire story before the JJBA universe was rebooted will finally be completely animated.

We all knew the announcement was inevitable, but having it come on Easter and picking a VA who is not only a dead ringer for Jolyne but was inspired by Jojo to become a VA made it feel extra special.

quote:
As for all the story that comes after the reboot, well... JoJolion was already being published when Phantom Blood got adapted to anime; now Stone Ocean is being adapted and JoJolion is still not over, so... yeah. In fact, I wonder if Araki will even write a Part 9 to the series after JoJolion is over.

He likely will, but it's more important that he finish Jojolion first before the anime catches up to him. The last thing this series needs is an anime-original ending that riles up everyone Game of Thrones-style.

Just a Person
2293th Post

"Re(2):From Mortal Kombat to Stone Ocean" , posted Tue 13 Apr 01:04:post reply

quote:
He likely will, but it's more important that he finish Jojolion first before the anime catches up to him. The last thing this series needs is an anime-original ending that riles up everyone Game of Thrones-style.

True. I guess both SBR and JJL being such long stories can kinda help Araki to finish JJL in time for the anime - then again, Part 9 (if he ever decides to make it) will definitely have this problem.

That reminds me that I finally managed to start watching the JJBA anime (I'm currently in the first half of Stardust Crusaders), and wow, it's SO GOOD!!! The team behind it is definitely full of fans of Araki's work; the way they captured his style, with the onomatopoeias constantly appearing, the hammy way most characters shout and pose, the colors, the detailed animation... the first two chapters from the first season were a bit boring, but after Dio becomes a vampire in chapter 3, it became the most enjoyable experience with animes I had in years.

It's just a pity that Midler didn't get her Heritage for the Future look in the anime, though; that outrageous skimpy belly dancer outfit would fit perfectly with the crazy tone the other characters have, in comparison with the boring look she got instead... and I don't think the team behind the anime would need to ask permission from Capcom to use it, would they?

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Tue 13 Apr 09:44]

"Re(3):From Mortal Kombat to Stone Ocean" , posted Sun 25 Apr 23:18post reply

MORTAL KOMBAT! Do do do du do do do do du do

Anyway, I managed to catch the new MK movie. As per MK tradition, my thoughts will be hidden behind toasty man spoilers:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
What was the purpose of the new character Cole? His role as the audience surrogate could easily have been filled by Liu Kang or Johnny Cage. This wouldn't have been as much of a problem if the actor hadn't been such a bore and the character so uninteresting. Cole seemed so out of place that he reminded me of those educational shows for children where someone from the modern day is transported into the middle of a history lesson or a work of literature. Cole is basically Wishbone the dog except not nearly as engaging.

Kano was amoral, violent and the only engaging character in the film. Small wonder he seems to be the one element of the film everyone is responding to. They should spin Kano off into the Fast & Furious franchise and have him join La Familia. That sounds idiotic, but when you remember that someone made the film Hobbs & Shaw is it really that much of a stretch to imagine a buddy movie where Kano and Kabal drive around in muscle cars?

There were places where MK looked really cheap. Kabal looked like cheap cosplay and some of the sets barely looked like a step up from the gravel quarry pits tokusatsu shows film in. On a low budget film like this I don't expect it to be a visual wonder. However, that means everyone making the film has to be clever in how they light, shoot and edit the film to suggest more than the budget will allow. MK wasn't up to the challenge. Then again, nothing could have made Shang Tsung's lousy wig look good.

This is the sort of movie where a character can get horrible gashes across their face and instead of treating it with stitches or bandages spends the rest of the film walking around with open wounds on their head.

At one point Jax tried to exercise while wearing hilariously tiny robot arms. He looked like a t-rex trying to work a punching bag. The actors went through the scene like it was a legitimate bit of character development but nobody told them that the special effects crew were going to replace his arms with sticks.

It was amusing how Sub-Zero kept popping up like he was the monster in a slasher movie. Since New Line Cinema is the home of Freddie that seems appropriate.

I remember reading once that in the 1980's a lot of R rated movies - such as the output of Stallone and Schwarzenegger - were made for 12 year olds. This was a hyperviolent movie for children in the same tradition.

Was it me, or did the movie not make much sense? When Sonya first meets Cole she doesn't recognize him but a moment later she shows off a giant wall of information she had collected about Cole throughout the years. Raiden declares that he worked to hide the Hattori Hanzo bloodline, which apparently meant he sent them to Chicago and ignored them for generations. When Kano's organic eye suddenly short-circuits in a shower of sparks you know the Rewrite Fairy was on set.

End of Spoiler

Although the film had a few moments of life, I found most of MK to be a slog. That said, I am happy that B-grade shlock is making it to the theaters. For the past several years everyone has wanted to make the next mega-franchise. But for every Avengers or Harry Potter there are a dozen tentpole movies that fall apart under their own weight. Hollywood needs to get back to making cheap, crass movies like this where their faults are much more forgivable.

Just a Person
2297th Post

"Re(4):From Mortal Kombat to Stone Ocean" , posted Mon 26 Apr 03:19post reply

quote:

Anyway, I managed to catch the new MK movie. As per MK tradition, my thoughts will be hidden behind toasty man spoilers:

Although the film had a few moments of life, I found most of MK to be a slog. That said, I am happy that B-grade shlock is making it to the theaters. For the past several years everyone has wanted to make the next mega-franchise. But for every Avengers or Harry Potter there are a dozen tentpole movies that fall apart under their own weight. Hollywood needs to get back to making cheap, crass movies like this where their faults are much more forgivable.

It's impressive how much this new film managed to mess up. And about the B-film thing, well, it seems they intend to turn MK into the next mega-franchise, as they already planned the sequel (one of the people behind this film has stated that both Johnny Cage and Kitana weren't used in this film because they were saving them for the sequel)...

Oh well, I hope the Resident Evil reboot film in the end of this year will turn out better than this one.

GekigangerV
2072th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5
CFN: gekijmo

"Re(4):From Mortal Kombat to Stone Ocean" , posted Mon 26 Apr 22:11post reply

quote:

It is amazing we can argue that a Paul W.S. Anderson movie is better. I still love the first MK movie without any nostalgia attached to it (outside of the CGI which was dated the year it came out).

The thing that really stood out to me in this new MK movie was the horrible editing (outside of the standard Hollywood quick cut action editing style which is just standard fare at this point). People just move around between cuts. When Raiden appears to stop Shang Tsung the first time he enters the temple is just off as he just appears in the frame without some grand effect (maybe just a simple white flash on screen.)

Also I think they tried to hide the accent of the Shang Tsung actor using the voice modulation. Chin Han has been in several big movies, most notably The Dark Knight as Lau. I think most people know he has an accent, but is still understandable. But through the voice modulation he accent disappears as if they redubbed his lines with another actor and morphed Chin Hans voice at the start of words or sentences to the new voice and disguised it with the modulation. Ben Affleck's Batman voice is clearly Ben Affleck's voice modulated, but Chin Han's Shang Tsung voice doesn't sound like Chin Han at times.

"Re(5):From Mortal Kombat to Mortal Kombat" , posted Mon 26 Apr 23:40post reply

quote:
It is amazing we can argue that a Paul W.S. Anderson movie is better.

Well, this was before Capcom gave him a vehicle to constantly prop up his wife. I guarantee that if he were allowed to make this new MK movie, Milla would take Cole's place as the new protag. Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad trade since at least Milla puts in effort.

Ed Boon should just get MK Mythologies: Scorpion off the ground at this point, since the origin part was easily the best scene in the whole film and the animated spin-off got some praise.

"The smell of combat" , posted Fri 30 Apr 03:46post reply

I love Ryu but I can't imagine anyone has ever looked at the character and thought "I'll bet this guy smells good."

GekigangerV
2073th Post

"Kentarou Mirua (Berserk) passed away" , posted Thu 20 May 12:58post reply

https://twitter.com/berserk_project/status/1395212918040391680

Apparently it happened 2 weeks ago from an Aortic Dissection. This is probably the celebrity death that has hit me hardest over the last few years. Such a shock and a real loss for the manga world.

"Re(1):Kentarou Miura (Berserk) passed away" , posted Thu 20 May 15:37post reply

A great loss indeed. Berserk was definitely one of a kind. RIP to a legend.

I fear Togashi might be next, hopefully he can pen some means of closure to HxH if he's unable to continue it.

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(1):Kentarou Mirua (Berserk) passed away" , posted Thu 20 May 17:50post reply

In my mind Miura was much older. I may have been less shocked if he had been, like 65 like I thought.
54 years old is horribly young.

Mangaka is a horrible, horrible job. Slowly destroying your body and your link to other people for the consumer's enjoyment.

Neo0r0chiaku
613th Post

"Re(2):Kentarou Mirua (Berserk) passed away" , posted Thu 20 May 22:14post reply

quote:
In my mind Miura was much older. I may have been less shocked if he had been, like 65 like I thought.
54 years old is horribly young.

Mangaka is a horrible, horrible job. Slowly destroying your body and your link to other people for the consumer's enjoyment.

Sad to hear for sure. Berserk of all things. Must have been difficult to work with the many breaks it had. Hopefully he spent enough time with family and didn't overwork. Far to young.

Any other of his works outside of Berserk you guys recommend?

Long Live I AM!
Mosquiton
2485th Post

"Re(1):Kentarou Mirua (Berserk) passed away" , posted Fri 21 May 01:56post reply

quote:
probably the celebrity death that has hit me hardest over the last few years. Such a shock and a real loss for the manga world.

Same. This upsets me.

/ / /

"Re(2):Kentarou Mirua (Berserk) passed away" , posted Fri 21 May 02:16post reply

quote:
probably the celebrity death that has hit me hardest over the last few years. Such a shock and a real loss for the manga world.

Same. This upsets me.

Such a shame. I never read much Berserk but its influence is everywhere, especially in the gaming world that our crowd frequents.

Miura's sadly early death comes after that of another young great of hugely important late Showa era comics, Matsumoto Izumi of Kimagure Orange Road, last year. These premature deaths overlap painfully for me with the recent deaths of artists 20+ years their senior, Monkey Punch of Lupin III and genius animator Ohtsuka Yasuo from the other thread.

"Re(3):Kentarou Mirua (Berserk) passed away" , posted Fri 21 May 03:15post reply

Poor Mirua came across as being physically done by the time he was 40. As Iggy noted, far too many mangaka don't make it to retirement age.

Oddly, my first exposure to Berserk was through videogames, specifically the Berserk Dreamcast game. The plot of that game did little to welcome newcomers to the franchise but it made me curious about the desperate, fantastical world of the manga. While the obvious appeal of the DC Berserk game was being able to wail on people with a gigantic sword it did have other moments of joy. I still remember doing a bare-handed combo with Guts that knocked some goon down and then landing an OTG by repeatedly shooting the guy in the crotch with Gut's adorable little arm crossbow. That was some game.

Just a Person
2331th Post

"JoJo Lands..." , posted Sat 21 Aug 08:13post reply

...that's the tentative title for Part 9 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

It's not starting now, as Araki is taking a short break... and who can blame him? JoJolion has just ended this month, and after all the decades he's been working since this series started, I'm surprised (and kinda envious, to be honest) that he still has enough inspiration and creativity to keep the story going. The man deserves some time off to rest.

That said, I'm curious to find out what will be this part's theme, who will be the next JoJo, and whether or not this will have references to Parts 1-6. Both Steel Ball Run and JoJolion were very interesting in the way they show the series' new universe; there are plenty of echoes from the old (erased?) universe, yet things feel different enough that even in the few occasions when a counterpart appears (like Johnny to Jonathan, Gyro to both Will and Caesar, Kira to both Jotaro and the original Kira, or especially Yasuho to Koichi), they're still basically new characters. Part 9 will probably take place in this same new universe, which makes me wonder whether the old universe will ever return and whether this new universe may eventually be replaced by a third one.

It's such a crazy, complicated story... and I love it.

Pencilero

42th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):JoJo Lands..." , posted Sat 21 Aug 17:33post reply

quote:
...that's the tentative title for Part 9 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

It's not starting now, as Araki is taking a short break... and who can blame him? JoJolion has just ended this month, and after all the decades he's been working since this series started, I'm surprised (and kinda envious, to be honest) that he still has enough inspiration and creativity to keep the story going. The man deserves some time off to rest.

That said, I'm curious to find out what will be this part's theme, who will be the next JoJo, and whether or not this will have references to Parts 1-6. Both Steel Ball Run and JoJolion were very interesting in the way they show the series' new universe; there are plenty of echoes from the old (erased?) universe, yet things feel different enough that even in the few occasions when a counterpart appears (like Johnny to Jonathan, Gyro to both Will and Caesar, Kira to both Jotaro and the original Kira, or especially Yasuho to Koichi), they're still basically new characters. Part 9 will probably take place in this same new universe, which makes me wonder whether the old universe will ever return and whether this new universe may eventually be replaced by a third one.

It's such a crazy, complicated story... and I love it.

I would have never guessed in a million years that bizarre and delightful OVA series my friend's got me hep to one time I ordered Jojo Fries from a local take-out place back in the 90's would become localized, and popular in America.

Buying the Japanese tankouban years ago at anime conventions and Kinokuniya, and poring over Araki's artwork. I was certain only anime club nerds would ever know of this. :b

On Miura's passing - it is unfortunate, but I don't malign the manga industry in Japan. Going purely off of old data from Frederik L. Schodt and Dan Kanemitsu, comic culture in Japan is massive. At one point, and it still may be, 40% of all printed materials were comics. Everybody reads them.

Best of all, given what little scholarly information in English is available; the Japanese publishers are far more equitable to creators than the American comic market has ever been.

Yes, Miura, Oda, and Takahashi have to work hard; but to my knowledge - it's not the absolutely corrupt upward transfer of intellectual property, wealth, and gains to the publisher alone as Marvel and DC are here in the United States. Rumiko Takahashi was a millionaire back in the 90's from making comics. Comic book millionaires are rare in the United States, and I'm hard pressed to think of a woman that has reached Takahashi's level of success.

That's crazy to consider when the market I grew up with and love despite the corruption, is rife with tales of aged creators who need to rely on charities to live comfortably in their twilight years, or when illness befalls them.

I can't speak to the Japanese culture, or opinions of work culture; but I can tell you American comics has a long history of being anti-creator and exploitative, and 42% of workers in the US are just working for a paycheck and take no pleasure from it (I count myself among that unlucky lot). Only in the American comic market could a creator make more money from an incidental character than one of the most well known comic characters in this market.

Yes the manga market is terrifying, Felipe Smith has tales to tell; but it is also more equitable than the American comic market has ever been. Ignoring the mainstream publishers in Japan, in the 90's there were tales of dojinshi artists earning impressive side incomes via Comiket (a fan comic convention that draws more attendees than the San Diego Comic Con which is propped up by Hollywood and video games).

Making comics isn't for everyone, but for some people it's a calling; and I'm happy the Japanese market exists to allow them to tell their stories and live comfortably from the fruits of their labors.

Unlike.
So many.
American.
Comic.
Creators.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training." - Archilochus

"Farewell to the Duke" , posted Wed 6 Oct 10:47post reply

Saitou Takao, father of Golgo-13 and a huge figure in the realistic gekiga style of comics, died about a week ago. You all already know that Duke Tougou is the coolest and that the original SFII is in the gekiga style and thus ON TOPIC. So instead I'll just say that mysteriously, today I walked by a moped randomly parked in the middle of the sidewalk by the train station and saw it had graffiti-style art with the Duke aiming at me. Awesome!

Pencilero

56th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Farewell to the Duke" , posted Mon 11 Oct 09:25post reply

quote:
Saitou Takao, father of Golgo-13 and a huge figure in the realistic gekiga style of comics, died about a week ago. You all already know that Duke Tougou is the coolest and that the original SFII is in the gekiga style and thus ON TOPIC. So instead I'll just say that mysteriously, today I walked by a moped randomly parked in the middle of the sidewalk by the train station and saw it had graffiti-style art with the Duke aiming at me. Awesome!

Damn, rest in peace. We are losing legends. :(

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training." - Archilochus

"Re(2):Farewell to the Duke" , posted Thu 28 Oct 17:30post reply

Man, so many legends leaving us. Really is signalling an end of an era...

Onto less dreary topics, I came back from watching Dune (Part One). I'm starting to become a fan of Denis Villenneuve's film directing, but at the same time I couldn't help but think that as a movie that only cover's half the book it feels lacking, and I'm curious as to how they're going to make it work with the second half. The issue is that a Part Two wasn't even guaranteed unless it sold considerably well, at which point I was kind of worried that this would end up a one-off concept considering how many concepts from the book(s) needed to translate well enough within the runtime (thankfully that never happend). On the other hand, I applaud how it seems to stick close to the source material and tries to give enough time to develop most of the ensemble cast.

And I know my jaded and cynical mind can't help but think that this will be Warner Bros. next "Harry Potter" or "Game of Thrones" in that it's a golden calf of a franchise to milk from. Given that, though, it's great that it's bringing more people into the fold, hopefully by inviting them to read the books.

"Re(3):Farewell to the Duke" , posted Thu 28 Oct 21:12post reply

quote:
And I know my jaded and cynical mind can't help but think that this will be Warner Bros. next "Harry Potter" or "Game of Thrones" in that it's a golden calf of a franchise to milk from. Given that, though, it's great that it's bringing more people into the fold, hopefully by inviting them to read the books.

Well, if they manage to go past God-Emperor, they have two books of sex-ninjas-from-space-who-rule-men-with-the-power-of-horniness. Also wasn't one of the key characters a man so good at sex he can out-sex the sex ninjas so they end up destroying a sun to get rid of him?

That's the plot for a multi-season HBO show if I ever saw one.
(But really, I like the books up until God-Emperor. I'd love to see what they would do with him).

"Re(4):Farewell to the Duke" , posted Thu 28 Oct 22:12post reply

quote:
Well, if they manage to go past God-Emperor, they have two books of sex-ninjas-from-space-who-rule-men-with-the-power-of-horniness. Also wasn't one of the key characters a man so good at sex he can out-sex the sex ninjas so they end up destroying a sun to get rid of him?

I only read the first Dune book and didn't particularly care for it. I now suspect I didn't read far enough into the series.

"a very KFC Christmas" , posted Thu 16 Dec 02:04post reply

Good tidings for the season at the Cafe, the earliest and most dedicated place on the English-language internet for discussion of KFC in Japan: to fight the long lines and avoid disease, it’s time to pre-order your bucket of Christmas chicken online in advance! Whether it’s bidanshi Colonel or the more “traditional” Santa Colonel, make sure to make him proud!

Hey Prof, can we pre-order some for you?

Professor
5865th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):a very KFC Christmas" , posted Thu 16 Dec 10:10post reply

quote:

This holiday season, the Colonel makes sure your wishes comes true.

Pencilero

90th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):a very KFC Christmas" , posted Fri 17 Dec 02:45post reply

quote:

This holiday season, the Colonel makes sure your wishes comes true.

Whatever you do, do not run a-fowl of the Colonel!

"Re(3):a very KFC Christmas" , posted Fri 17 Dec 06:45post reply

quote:
Whatever you do, do not run a-fowl of the Colonel!
PUN BONUS +50

That blog is about 15 years behind Prof's first posting in English about the widely feared curse, though, hohoho. Sometime I will use the Wayback Machine (oh Mister Peabody!) and line up a bunch of articles to indicate that Prof outpaced virtually the entirely of the English-speaking internet on Japan-related topics (that are fun).

Professor
5867th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):a very KFC Christmas" , posted Fri 17 Dec 10:21:post reply

quote:
Whatever you do, do not run a-fowl of the Colonel! PUN BONUS +50

Awesome that the curse gets mentioned-- Coincedently I was doing a followup check on the salvaged Sanders when posting that dragonball image, and turns out they never did find the remaining parts of his body. But oh lord does he look like a cursed doll when you take a zoomed view. It's been a big enough legend that KFC officially made keychains!

And people still dive into that mudpuddle of doom ditch

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 17 Dec 10:46]

"Re(5):a very KFC Christmas" , posted Sat 18 Dec 05:37post reply

quote:
KFC officially made keychains!

Now I know what I want for Christmas!

"Re(6):a very KFC Christmas" , posted Sat 18 Dec 07:14post reply

quote:
KFC officially made keychains!

And now Prof is back too, it is a Christmas miracle. And what better timing than for a longstanding MMC topic like Kentucky Christmas! After all, like I was saying (and because I never forget anything**), MMC is always decades ahead of today's internet n00bs in covering the most important topics in Japan, as this finger-licking 2002 time capsule proves. Viva the Colonel!

**don't worry, it's not as though I would use this near-photographic memory of things that amuse me for any nefarious or embarrassing purposes

"Madman Academy with Prof. Kikkoken" , posted Tue 21 Dec 13:03post reply

KFC research is not the Cafe's only contribution to the realm of higher education! Behold, Kikkoken's study on intersubjective accomodation at the Cafe is now hosted on the French Ministry of Higher Education's scanR research and innovation database.

We're a long way from Iggy's Inaruko Gakuen!

"Re(1):Madman Academy with Prof. Kikkoken" , posted Thu 23 Dec 01:36post reply

quote:
KFC research is not the Cafe's only contribution to the realm of higher education! Behold, Kikkoken's study on intersubjective accomodation at the Cafe is now hosted on the French Ministry of Higher Education's scanR research and innovation database.

I am so glad this board has contributed to learning and the advancement of society as a whole. I am, of course, referring to Iggy's bizarre foray into ASCII storytelling. Kikkoken's scholarly work is pretty cool as well and worthy of continuing congratulations.

"Re(1):Madman Academy with Prof. Kikkoken" , posted Fri 24 Dec 16:14:post reply

quote:

I will always take a bit of pride in being the author of the first MMC thread that gets specifically cited in Kikkoken's research paper.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Fri 24 Dec 16:14]

Pencilero

101th Post

Regular Customer

"Metal Slug merch, pull back toys!" , posted Tue 28 Dec 03:09post reply

quote:

Yes.

Has KFC Japan ever done any commercials with the Cursed Colonel, like the absurd advertising they have done in America?

I think the Cursed Colonel popped on my radar during the pandemic watching a lot of cooking videos on Youtube to expand my dietary repertoire.

Logged into BBTS to check on my order history, and these little cuties appeared on the front page - Metal Slug 3 Set of 4 Pull Back Cars

The pricing is great, considering how niche merchandise is usually upward of $75.

"Re(1):Metal Slug merch, pull back toys!" , posted Wed 29 Dec 07:50post reply

quote:

Logged into BBTS to check on my order history, and these little cuties appeared on the front page - Metal Slug 3 Set of 4 Pull Back Cars

The pricing is great, considering how niche merchandise is usually upward of $75.

Wow, those are neat! That's a lot more fun than an overpriced statue or something similar.

"Re(1):Metal Slug merch, pull back toys!" , posted Wed 29 Dec 17:03post reply

quote:
I love them! Now, if I could just get a set of similar models for Game Boy Wars Advance…

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Cafe had some good toy collections! But I don’t, especially after I ditched some simple figures from forever ago from FFVII-VIII! Nothing but art books and soundtracks around here now…

Mosquiton
2497th Post

"Re(1):Metal Slug merch, pull back toys!" , posted Thu 30 Dec 06:46post reply

quote:

Very cute, but if they don't somehow bobble or vibrate a bit when they're scooting across the floor then it's a missed opportunity.

/ / /
Professor
5875th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Metal Slug merch, pull back toys!" , posted Thu 30 Dec 16:10:post reply

quote:

Yes.

Has KFC Japan ever done any commercials with the Cursed Colonel, like the absurd advertising they have done in America?

Surprisingly, no! It would've been awesome for KFC Japan to jump on it back then. But come to think, I can't ever recall the Colonel ever really being featured on TV ads to begin with. It's usually families or young girls having a good time eating their fried chicken. Especially around this time of year the amount of KFC ads goes crazy a la Xmas season...

Putting that aside and spinning off a bit from the NeoGeo merchandise talk, it's a bit surprising that Comiket as well as Cosholic are actually taking place this year-end. Of course everyone is wearing a mask so you end up getting cosplayers all looking like a Kitana...

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 30 Dec 17:00]

Pencilero

104th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Metal Slug merch, pull back toys!" , posted Thu 30 Dec 17:09post reply

quote:
Putting that aside and spinning off a bit from the NeoGeo merchandise talk, I'm a bit surprised that Comiket as well as Cosholic are actually taking place this year-end. Of course everyone is wearing a mask so you end up getting cosplayers all looking like a Kitana...

Nice! By all accounts the omicron variant of Covid-19 seems to have adapted to highly contagious, with little appreciable impact, so it's nice to see things happening. I'll be curious to see how attendance for Comiket is. It always impressed me that a convention dedicated to fan created comics had higher annual attendance than a long running Western comic convention with the combined might of Hollywood and video games industries behind it.

I also love that many of these fans can earn a handsome side income (Doujinshi: The Alternative Publishing Medium of Japan
), pre-Patreon, professionals participate, and in general Comiket is an incubator for future talent.

Bless comic (I use the term to cover comics of all regions) reading cultures!

Neo0r0chiaku
639th Post

"Sega Saturn Music for your relaxation" , posted Thu 24 Feb 11:41post reply

Found this relaxing Sega Saturn Music mix on YouTube. Pretty cool

Long Live I AM!

"Baby Head" , posted Thu 26 May 01:27post reply

Captain Commando and Tenchi O Kurau figures are being made. Seriously!

"Cyberbots sequel" , posted Wed 29 Jun 21:07post reply

Street Fighter x Transformers is sure to be the hottest toy collaboration of 1992. Is there an audience for this sort of thing?

GekigangerV
2088th Post

STM: gekiganger85

"Re(1):Cyberbots sequel" , posted Thu 30 Jun 14:54post reply

quote:
Street Fighter x Transformers is sure to be the hottest toy collaboration of 1992. Is there an audience for this sort of thing?

Those appear to at least be quick repaints of established Transformer toys.

Playmates is doing a TMNT x Street Fighter line up with some wonky looking figures.

I really miss the old days where SOTA tried to go through the different Street Fighter characters before that initial 6" scale bubble burst.

I would get that Captain Commando figure if it was 6" scale and put it in my closet tub with my SOTA figures to one day get my MvC roster one figure closer to completion.

"Re(2):Cyberbots sequel" , posted Fri 1 Jul 02:46post reply

quote:

Playmates is doing a TMNT x Street Fighter line up with some wonky looking figures.

I can't stop looking at these, they are so incredibly bad. Are these supposed to be based on bad game box art?

Mosquiton
2508th Post

"Re(3):Cyberbots sequel" , posted Tue 12 Jul 10:37post reply

quote:

I can't stop looking at these, they are so incredibly bad. Are these supposed to be based on bad game box art?

I want to be generous and say they are trying to imitate the very early comics. But it does look very weird and I keep coming back to look at them as well. They seem to have some eerie, gawky power...

/ / /
nobinobita
1916th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Cyberbots sequel" , posted Mon 18 Jul 18:07:post reply

quote:

For the Ninja Turtles, they're definitely trying to reference the original comics which had this great dark, scratchy, super screen toned look to em. The figures are executed squarely in the uncanny valley of this aesthetic though. Rather than understanding and appreciating the charm of those comics, they're just replicating its most superficial qualities. The execution looks more like Michael Kupperman's intentionally stiff and surreal lithographic comics art than actual ninja turtles comics.

quote:
I really miss the old days where SOTA tried to go through the different Street Fighter characters before that initial 6" scale bubble burst.

Oh my goodness, we had it so good in the aughts. I didn't really apprecaite it at the time. You could go to Toys R Us (which still existed in North America) and pick up a very nice, heavy, very poseable Sagat figure (with nice Bengus art on the box!) for less than $20! Revoltechs were less than $20 too! I remember picking some up for $10-$15! Imagine that! A time when action figures were affordable!

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Mon 18 Jul 18:10]

"Tekken Trailer" , posted Wed 20 Jul 03:28post reply

Jin Kazama's lifelong battle against triangle shadows is getting a new adaptation.

Wait, there were three live action Tekken movies? When the hell did that happen?

Just a Person
2424th Post

"Re(1):Tekken Trailer" , posted Wed 20 Jul 10:10post reply

quote:
Jin Kazama's lifelong battle against triangle shadows is getting a new adaptation.

Wait, there were three live action Tekken movies? When the hell did that happen?

Three? I only know about the first one (with Jin as the protagonist and presenting many Tekken characters despite the film's dystopic setting having little connection to the video games) and the second one (with "K" as a protagonist and nearly no relation to the video games whatsoever)... is the 3D-animated film featuring Xiaoyu and Alisa meant to be considered a live action film?

It's interesting that almost every film based on a fighting game ended up being terrible... I guess the first Mortal Kombat film was okay, the Dead or Alive one is half acceptable, half terrible, and the first Street Fighter film enters the "so bad that it ends up being good" category; everything else is just awful (I spent a weekend watching back to back the two Tekken live action films, the "Legend of Chun-Li" film and the King of Fighters live-action film, and I deeply regret that).

Just a Person
2425th Post

"Re(2):Tekken Trailer" , posted Wed 20 Jul 10:18post reply

Anyway, this new anime looks... interesting. I'm still not sure if in a good way or in a bad way.

Despite being based on Tekken 3, it seems most characters have their Tekken 6/7 outfits, and there are some characters added in later games are in it (Leroy is definitely in, and I think I saw Feng Wei, too)... and this may be a good decision, since nowadays people are more familiar with the recent games. If one of the Laws appears as a contestant in the tournament, Marshall would actually be a better choice (I mean, what's the point of adding Forrest when he was discarded after 3?).

But one point that got me curious is Heihachi stating that Ogre killed Jun, while the video games indicate that no one knows whatever happened to her. Is Bamco using the anime to retcon Jun's status as officially being dead? Hopefully not...

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Tekken Trailer" , posted Wed 20 Jul 11:21post reply

quote:
But one point that got me curious is Heihachi stating that Ogre killed Jun, while the video games indicate that no one knows whatever happened to her. Is Bamco using the anime to retcon Jun's status as officially being dead? Hopefully not...

Even though it apparently wasn't officially canon, didn't Tekken Tag Tournament make Jun's status questionable?

Unknown looked kind of like Jun, started with Jun's moves, used Jun's win animations, saved Jin from Ogre in Ogre's ending, and then TTT2 straight out made the first form of its boss be Jun Kazama while the second form was Unknown (after a possession cutscene).

But even there, her whole alive or dead status itself seemed to be kept open. Is Unknown possessing Jun's body, or Jun's corpse, or is it a spirit-created form? Jun vanishes in some endings. She turns into a ball of light in one ending, but gets taken by Devil in another ending, while Angel de-possesses/purifies Jun only to let her body/spirit/whatever continue to sink into the abyss in yet another ending.

Namco could easily say that Jun is truly officially dead, then still turn around and bring her back as a spirit or possessed form, or bring her back to life in a flesh and blood body, or just straight out later reveal that she was alive all along.

"FFX Kabuki" , posted Thu 21 Jul 08:18post reply

In a genuinely bizarre announcement that I truly didn't see coming: I'll see your weird Cyberbots and SFII toys and raise you a Final Fantasy X kabuki production in spring 2023.

The planner and presumed Tidus actor is young-ish kabuki star Onoe Kikunosuke V, who also did adapations of Twelfth Night and Nausicaa. While those unfortunate to have been subjected to the American FFX dub will probably be wondering how the (originally fine) infamous Tidus-Yuna laughing scene will translate to kabuki, I'm mostly curious how you stage a series of continuous tsunami attacks by an immortal evil giant fish.

I would have preferred a fabulous Takarazuka all-female production, especially since it has been well-established for years that Tidus is a woman, but oh well.

"Re(1):FFX Kabuki" , posted Tue 26 Jul 03:10post reply

quote:
In a genuinely bizarre announcement that I truly didn't see coming: I'll see your weird Cyberbots and SFII toys and raise you a Final Fantasy X kabuki production in spring 2023.

The planner and presumed Tidus actor is young-ish kabuki star Onoe Kikunosuke V, who also did adapations of Twelfth Night and Nausicaa. While those unfortunate to have been subjected to the American FFX dub will probably be wondering how the (originally fine) infamous Tidus-Yuna laughing scene will translate to kabuki, I'm mostly curious how you stage a series of continuous tsunami attacks by an immortal evil giant fish.

I would have preferred a fabulous Takarazuka all-female production, especially since it has been well-established for years that Tidus is a woman, but oh well.

At first I didn't think much of this news, viewing it as an offshoot of those silly anime stage adaptations that play for three showings and then disappear into the ether. But, upon reflection, this is weird. What sort of audience goes to kabuki shows nowadays? Is there much crossover between the kabuki crowd and those that would enjoy the adaptation of a twenty year old videogame? Trying to answer these questions might be more fun than the play itself.

"Space Channel 5: The Movie" , posted Sun 21 Aug 04:59post reply

quote:
What sort of audience goes to kabuki shows nowadays? Is there much crossover between the kabuki crowd and those that would enjoy the adaptation of a twenty year old videogame? Trying to answer these questions might be more fun than the play itself.

Ha! I meant to mention that with kabuki adaptations of things like One Piece, Naruto, and Nausicaa, it's not too far a leap for games, too. I mean: even without game stuff, Kabuki and Kyougen are AWESOME and have a popular approachability and sense of fun that the dreadfully refined and stilted forms of Noh do not...as a certain Iggy-shaped apparition once noted in an informative speech in MMC's long-form fanfic.

Uhhhh anyway the only announcement that could possibly have surprised me more than FFX kabuki is the genuinely weird decision to have the Sonic the Movie producer work with a US company I've never heard of called Picture Start to make movie adaptations of...Space Channel 5 and Comix Zone!?!? I'm sure they'll give Ulala some damned gym shorts instead of a short skirt and that it'll be bad like all game movies, but the idea of taking Comix Zone and making a movie out of a video game about being trapped in a comic book is bizarre enough to see in the same way as Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game.

Neo0r0chiaku
646th Post

"Re(1):Space Channel 5: The Movie" , posted Fri 9 Sep 00:00post reply

quote:
What sort of audience goes to kabuki shows nowadays? Is there much crossover between the kabuki crowd and those that would enjoy the adaptation of a twenty year old videogame? Trying to answer these questions might be more fun than the play itself.
Ha! I meant to mention that with kabuki adaptations of things like One Piece, Naruto, and Nausicaa, it's not too far a leap for games, too. I mean: even without game stuff, Kabuki and Kyougen are AWESOME and have a popular approachability and sense of fun that the dreadfully refined and stilted forms of Noh do not...as a certain Iggy-shaped apparition once noted in an informative speech in MMC's long-form fanfic.

Uhhhh anyway the only announcement that could possibly have surprised me more than FFX kabuki is the genuinely weird decision to have the Sonic the Movie producer work with a US company I've never heard of called Picture Start to make movie adaptations of...Space Channel 5 and Comix Zone!?!? I'm sure they'll give Ulala some damned gym shorts instead of a short skirt and that it'll be bad like all game movies, but the idea of taking Comix Zone and making a movie out of a video game about being trapped in a comic book is bizarre enough to see in the same way as Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game.

Well, although it's not a "comic", we did have Cool World with Brad Pitt. But then again, i feel as though there is a movie with the same depiction as Comic Zone that came out years ago?

Long Live I AM!

"AI for VF" , posted Sat 8 Oct 02:59post reply

AI enhanced Virtua Fighter is perfect. Somehow the program really draws out the correct personality of the characters.

Just a Person
2452th Post

"Re(1):AI for VF" , posted Sun 9 Oct 03:21post reply

quote:
AI enhanced Virtua Fighter is perfect. Somehow the program really draws out the correct personality of the characters.

Wow, almost all of these look amazing!!

Lau’s looks… interesting.

"Elden Ring jazz concert" , posted Wed 19 Oct 22:59post reply

In the latest MadLibs announcement, Kenny Garrett and Takuya Kuroda will be performing a jazz reinterpretation of the Elden Ring soundtrack.

Those are two terrific jazz musicians but, wow, what a weird idea.

"Re(1):random insider trading" , posted Fri 18 Nov 14:03post reply

Each entry in this recent succession of genuinely weird non-gaming news posts surprises me more than the last, such that FFX kabuki isn't too odd anymore, especially when compared with...Sonic co-creator Naka Yuuji getting arrested by the district prosecutor's office for insider trading in 2020 where he bought stock of the company that Square Enix worked with on Dragon Quest Tact, of all things?! The 2.8 million yen (that's like 25,000 dollars) stock amount is so pitifully low that I can only assume he didn't know it was illegal. If you're going to steal, you'd better do it right, people!

"Re(2):random insider trading" , posted Fri 18 Nov 23:23post reply

quote:
Each entry in this recent succession of genuinely weird non-gaming news posts surprises me more than the last, such that FFX kabuki isn't too odd anymore, especially when compared with...Sonic co-creator Naka Yuuji getting arrested by the district prosecutor's office for insider trading in 2020 where he bought stock of the company that Square Enix worked with on Dragon Quest Tact, of all things?! The 2.8 million yen (that's like 25,000 dollars) stock amount is so pitifully low that I can only assume he didn't know it was illegal. If you're going to steal, you'd better do it right, people!

One minute you're erasing Naoto Ohshima with a sharpie, the next you're getting arrested for insider trading. Naka's time at Square Enix was short but memorable.

"Re(2):random insider trading CHAOS" , posted Wed 7 Dec 22:21post reply

quote:

I hope Naka enjoyed getting arrested the first time... because he got arrested again!

"Sakamoto Ryuuichi" , posted Mon 3 Apr 12:54post reply

RIP to the venerable Sakamoto Ryuuichi, whose immense musical talents influenced so many people's compositions, indirectly and directly (games included). I'm no expert, but I know that Sakamoto as part of Yellow Magic Orchestra=YMO brought hugely imporant and excellent electronic music forward, which together with the somewhat related jazz fusion is the basis for most of the foundational 8- and 16-bit sounds we know and love. Obviously, his work is infinitely broader than this. I'd love to hear others' favorites, but two appropriate pieces come to mind, now: his marvelous theme for Christmas on the Battlefield/Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence, and his special covid-era performances, playing piano for the isolated---a thoughtful solace for listeners everywhere, all while gravely ill himself. At the end of last year, he streamed what he likely knew was a final piano performance even while very near death, and I really regret missing it...I hope it resurfaces as a tribute to his talent and noble spirit.

"Re(1):Sakamoto Ryuuichi" , posted Tue 4 Apr 03:10post reply

quote:
RIP to the venerable Sakamoto Ryuuichi, whose immense musical talents influenced so many people's compositions, indirectly and directly (games included). I'm no expert, but I know that Sakamoto as part of Yellow Magic Orchestra=YMO brought hugely imporant and excellent electronic music forward, which together with the somewhat related jazz fusion is the basis for most of the foundational 8- and 16-bit sounds we know and love. Obviously, his work is infinitely broader than this. I'd love to hear others' favorites, but two appropriate pieces come to mind, now: his marvelous theme for Christmas on the Battlefield/Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence, and his special covid-era performances, playing piano for the isolated---a thoughtful solace for listeners everywhere, all while gravely ill himself. At the end of last year, he streamed what he likely knew was a final piano performance even while very near death, and I really regret missing it...I hope it resurfaces as a tribute to his talent and noble spirit.

Thank you for mentioning the passing of Sakamoto, it truly is a loss. I love that COVID performance you linked where he could play an elegant piano piece and then turn around and blare out guitar feedback with the same level of thoughtful determination. He truly loved music and the artistry he had allowed him to share that emotion with the world.

"Re(2):Sakamoto Ryuuichi" , posted Tue 4 Apr 13:28:post reply

quote:
Thank you for mentioning the passing of Sakamoto, it truly is a loss. I love that COVID performance you linked where he could play an elegant piano piece and then turn around and blare out guitar feedback with the same level of thoughtful determination. He truly loved music and the artistry he had allowed him to share that emotion with the world.

Beautifully put! I also knew there must be a closer connection between Sakamoto and our Cafe than the development of electronica: Sega reminds us that he composed the divine, perfect boot up sound for the Dreamcast. I think even someone who isn’t an insane Mega Driver like me would agree that the sophistication of sound in this brief six-second audioscape is leagues beyond any of the countless, mundane system boot sounds we’ve heard before and since from Sony and so many others. I can’t think of anyone who could do so much with so little time to work with as Sakamoto here. I’ll listen with even more fondness and wistfulness than usual the next time I turn on a Dreamcast.

Edit: oh! And of course his work as sound producer and song contributor on Tengai Makyou Ziria on PCE and Seiken Densetsu 4 (let’s forget the game and remember the main theme he composed!).

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 4 Apr 13:50]

"Re(3):Sakamoto Ryuuichi" , posted Wed 5 Apr 00:00post reply

I didn't know Sakamoto recorded the DC music! That ethereal, rippling was terrific boot-up music. That it managed to resonate with people shows how good it was since it was immediately preceded by the BEEEEEP of the constantly dead batteries in the DC save card/virtual pet thingamabob.

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
STM: 29347508
CFN: Gojira

"What timeline is this" , posted Tue 4 Jul 09:23post reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSaBR58f7I0

Presented without context

"Re(1):What timeline is this" , posted Thu 6 Jul 22:04post reply

quote:

That seems strange on first glance, but wasn't the completely bonkers Batman Ninja anime an isekai as well? Is isekai the hot new mainstream trend after everyone tires of multiverse shenanigans? Is Suicide Squad that popular of a concept that it warrants this many adaptations? Or does it say more about the strength of the DC villain roster... or, possibly, the lameness of the DC hero roster? Can I write anything here without ending the sentence with a question mark?

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
STM: 29347508
CFN: Gojira

"Re(2):What timeline is this" , posted Fri 7 Jul 14:59post reply

quote:

That seems strange on first glance, but wasn't the completely bonkers Batman Ninja anime an isekai as well? Is isekai the hot new mainstream trend after everyone tires of multiverse shenanigans? Is Suicide Squad that popular of a concept that it warrants this many adaptations? Or does it say more about the strength of the DC villain roster... or, possibly, the lameness of the DC hero roster? Can I write anything here without ending the sentence with a question mark?

Although I can't remember the plot of Batman Ninja despite the Jojo-directed visuals from the movie scattered around the nooks and crannies of my brain, I do seem to recall it was probably isekai. Although back then isekai was the hot new thing, and now isekai is... just a thing. One of the most over-saturated things in anime right now, but certainly not new anymore, and maybe not even hot. Still, with Tappei Nagatsuki writing it maybe it'll be something to look forward to?

"Re(3):What timeline is this" , posted Thu 13 Jul 06:01post reply

quote:

Although I can't remember the plot of Batman Ninja despite the Jojo-directed visuals from the movie scattered around the nooks and crannies of my brain, I do seem to recall it was probably isekai. Although back then isekai was the hot new thing, and now isekai is... just a thing. One of the most over-saturated things in anime right now, but certainly not new anymore, and maybe not even hot. Still, with Tappei Nagatsuki writing it maybe it'll be something to look forward to?

There is so much isekai, but the reader appetite for isekai seems unending

It still is a dominantly popular force in manga/webtoon/manhua, so one way to look at it is kind of like shonen battle manga which has been a thing for literal decades but continues to be popular.

However, isekai has the advantage of having a specific enough genre label and trope set that you can literally call it by name even outside of Japan, and it is still popular in the contemporary environment.

I think because it is a bit of a meta-trope, it has one distinct advantage compared to things like battle manga in that it doesn't have to be battle-centric and can work across a variety of different audience appeals. You've got your otome-game-inspired ones, your revenge-power-fantasy ones, your comfy-life ones, your porno-power-fantasy ones, etc. Whether or not I like it, I can't deny the sheer power the genre has to just crank out new works in all kinds of ways and fill some kind of audience niche. The fact that it starts with an inherently silly premise also invites a high level of audience suspension of disbelief from the outset, which I think is a huge advantage for it since you can handwave so much stuff narratively.

"Re(4):What Jigen is this" , posted Thu 7 Sep 23:20post reply

In unexpected news, Jigen is getting a live-action streaming film. I don't know if anyone was cheering for more stories set in the Kitamura film but these Amazon Prime movies are probably easy to make.

"Re(5):What Scott Pilgrim is this" , posted Mon 27 Nov 20:28:post reply

I never actually read Scott Pilgrim or played the apparently quite good game version, but I always had a good impression of it as a fun manga-styled story, maybe the first to come out of North America that wasn't embarrassingly amateurish. I can't remember if the Cafe enjoyed it but I imagine so, especially since I think its game references are supposed to have been more fun and less cloying than later retro gamer (us!?) targeted movies, etc. Anyway, holy s--t, I see there's a sequel animated by Science Saru, the studio behind such important things as The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl! That would be the single movie that I feel like the biggest jerk for not having seen yet, outside of Revolutionary Girl Utena: Adolescence Apocalypse!

*edit: I read the first volume and it is fun, and the animation is fantastic! I like the fighting game announcer for each character.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 28 Nov 00:49]

Just a Person
2537th Post

"Re(6):What Scott Pilgrim is this" , posted Tue 9 Jan 02:21post reply

quote:
I never actually read Scott Pilgrim or played the apparently quite good game version, but I always had a good impression of it as a fun manga-styled story, maybe the first to come out of North America that wasn't embarrassingly amateurish. I can't remember if the Cafe enjoyed it but I imagine so, especially since I think its game references are supposed to have been more fun and less cloying than later retro gamer (us!?) targeted movies, etc. Anyway, holy s--t, I see there's a sequel animated by Science Saru, the studio behind such important things as The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl! That would be the single movie that I feel like the biggest jerk for not having seen yet, outside of Revolutionary Girl Utena: Adolescence Apocalypse!

*edit: I read the first volume and it is fun, and the animation is fantastic! I like the fighting game announcer for each character.

Scott Pilgrim may be, in my opinion, one of the few franchises that did a great job in all the media it was adapted into. I watched the anime last week and loved it, especially the fact that they brought the actors from the live-action film to voice the characters (...well, except the Katayanagi twins, due to them not having lines in the film), and using Ramona as the protagonist worked surprisingly well.

That said, the comic book is still my favorite version of the story. Possibly due to its size, it manages to flesh out the story, include more important characters (Lisa, Mr. Chau, Lynette, Joseph...) and provide a nice balance between the absurdity of Scott's world and the individual journeys that each character goes through - including Scott being confronted with his immaturity and tendency to avoid owning up to his mistakes in life.

The film and video game focused much more on the battles against the evil exes and barely touched on the characters' growth throughout the story (plus, Ramona's personality in the film feels closer to Kim Pine's than to the actual Ramona from the comic book; and I still can't forgive the game developers for not even bothering to write a proper ending for Wallace Wells). That said, they're both still very fun works!

"Infinite Shave Ice" , posted Sat 27 Jan 22:54post reply

In surprising crossover news, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth merchandise is being sold at Matsumoto's Shave Ice.

"Re(1):Infinite Toriyama" , posted Tue 12 Mar 23:37post reply

Obviously everyone has already seen and lamented the late great Toriyama Akira's passing. I don't even think you need to be a fan (and I am!) to acknowledge how he had probably the strongest, most beautiful line work possible, always reminding me of the powerful "ligne claire" of Tintin's Herge, except with the flat textures traded for some of the most rounded and three-dimensional faces and bodies of all of comics. I need Nobi here to help, but there's such weight and heft to all his charming creations, big and small.

For the Cafe's purposes, the most obvious masterworks beyond Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump are likely top-two SFC RPG contender Chrono Trigger, all time top PS1 fighting game Tobal 2 (maybe the best-realized Toriyama video game world all the way up to the most recent DBZ fighter, and in 60fps!!), and of course Dragon Quest.

Sometimes people abroad would miss the point and complain, mistakenly in my view, that Toriyama's designs looked too similar. I think it's more that his style is so unique and unmistakeable, such that regardless of the work's style and time period, you instantly know it's him, on a level as clear as Tezuka or Miyazaki and very few others.

What a gift, what a loss now for art.

Just a Person
2541th Post

"Re(2):Infinite Toriyama" , posted Tue 12 Mar 23:55post reply

quote:
Obviously everyone has already seen and lamented the late great Toriyama Akira's passing. I don't even think you need to be a fan (and I am!) to acknowledge how he had probably the strongest, most beautiful line work possible, always reminding me of the powerful "ligne claire" of Tintin's Herge, except with the flat textures traded for some of the most rounded and three-dimensional faces and bodies of all of comics. I need Nobi here to help, but there's such weight and heft to all his charming creations, big and small.

For the Cafe's purposes, the most obvious masterworks beyond Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump are likely top-two SFC RPG contender Chrono Trigger, all time top PS1 fighting game Tobal 2 (maybe the best-realized Toriyama video game world all the way up to the most recent DBZ fighter, and in 60fps!!), and of course Dragon Quest.

Sometimes people abroad would miss the point and complain, mistakenly in my view, that Toriyama's designs looked too similar. I think it's more that his style is so unique and unmistakeable, such that regardless of the work's style and time period, you instantly know it's him, on a level as clear as Tezuka or Miyazaki and very few others.

What a gift, what a loss now for art.

Yes, it's a huge loss. Hopefully he's in a better place now, and even though we'll no longer have new Toriyama's works, he left behind such a huge legacy and several fantastic works that we'll always be able to re-read Dragon Ball or play again Chrono Trigger and appreciate again how great they are.

That makes me wonder how the next Dragon Quest games will look like. Toriyama's art style was a huge signature of the DQ series, so it's hard to imagine new DQ games with a different art style - on the other hand, this series is such a huge money maker and cultural phenomenon in Japan that I don't see SquareEnix stop developing new DQ games.

"Re(3):Infinite Toriyama" , posted Thu 14 Mar 01:08post reply

When DB first gained prominence in the West I always found it peculiar that a series that showcased Toriyama's love of wacky humor and flying by the seat of your pants storytelling was somehow reduced by a certain segment of fandom to power levels. I'm so glad that the remembrances for Toriyama have been about his creativity and not how much Goku could bench press.

TheGhostofOnsy

0th Post

New Customer

"Mmmmhh..." , posted Mon 18 Mar 17:29post reply

quote:
I'm probably going to get in trouble with Onsy's ghost

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Nah, it's been years since I touched a superhero comic, well, at least from Marvel or DC. Even though I don't like them anymore I still believe that a great writer can do wonders with any given material, however childish in origin that material might be. Regarding Alan Moore I like most of his works but I think he is at his best when working with his original characters, even if they are derivative from other genres. It is well documented (no great insight from me) that the grim and gritty era brought to comics by Alan Moore and Miller for example was unintentional (at least on Moore's account) and that everyone took the wrong ideas and instead of creating truly mature content they just went with surface level violence and sex, and hey, nothing wrong with that, it's just that some writers wanted to elevate the genre while others just saw a trend to follow.
Incidentally, my favorite book from Moore is not The Killing Joke or even Watchmen, it is Top Ten, give it a try if you haven't.

I'm trying to remember what's the most recent comic I've read and I think it is Crisis Zone by Simon Hanselmann, not a superhero comic. Oh, that reminds me I have Monsters by Barry Windsor Smith sitting on my bookshelf, untouched, I'll have to read that soon.

Speaking of comics I will be forever bitter that Kieron Gillen never finished Über, such a shame...

"ONSY ONSLAUGHT" , posted Mon 18 Mar 19:50post reply

OH SNAP after the first successful resurrection years ago, I did not expect to accidentally summon Onsy again, Lavos-style, in the year 202X...welcome back!

quote:
I still believe that a great writer can do wonders with any given material, however childish in origin that material might be.
Even if the never-ending parade of Hollywood movies featuring Marvel-for-adults-or-overgrown-children is doing the best to prove otherwise, I think you're right! I still think Batman the Animated Series is pretty neat, and I only saw a little bit of it in the US a billion years ago.

Oh! I finally read a non-Japanese comic for the first time since, ah, Persepolis: 15 years late, I have had a lot of fun with Scott Pilgrim. Do Canadian comics count? I will write more from the sub-thread above once I watch the anime after finishing re-reading the comics, but I mostly really enjoyed it.

"Re(1):Mmmmhh..." , posted Mon 18 Mar 20:23post reply

Onsy High-five!
quote:
Speaking of comics I will be forever bitter that Kieron Gillen never finished Über, such a shame...

Well, Marvel is closing the Krakoa era now, so Gillen is finally working on something more personal. He's publishing some scenarios for the DIE RPG, but who knows after that!

"Re(2):Mmmmhh..." , posted Tue 19 Mar 03:24post reply

Maou accidentally pushed the Onsy button again but it was worth it! To this day, thinking about Onsy's old cat avatar makes me smile.

TheGhostofOnsy

1th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):ONSY ONSLAUGHT" , posted Tue 19 Mar 16:02post reply

quote:
OH SNAP after the first successful resurrection years ago, I did not expect to accidentally summon Onsy again, Lavos-style, in the year 202X...welcome back!

Batman and Scott Pilgrim

I watched BTAS when I was young and it always amazed me how creative they were with all the restrictions of a children's cartoon. They had guns with bullets (even if no one got shot), punches and themes that were very mature, at least for me at the time; this in stark contrast with the Marvel cartoons like Spider-Man or X-Men which only saving grace was that they somewhat recreated famous arcs from the comics but had some laughable changes like the Punisher using Non-Lethal weapons for some inane in-story reason or Morbius thirsting for "plasma" instead of blood.

I read Scott Pilgrim when it came out and I didn't like it one bit, I even forgot why I didn't like it, the humor wasn't for me perhaps? Can't remember.
Now that you mentioned non US comics, there are plenty of comics that I can recomend:

Blacksad: From Spaniard authors Juan Díaz and Juanjo Garnido about anthropomorphic animals in a 50's setting, basically detective stories. And yeah, I know, furries, but it is quite good and the artwork is great.

Jodorowski's comics: Incal, The Tecnopriests and Metabarons. I don't know if I can recommend these, because I love/hate the work of this guy when it comes to comics. First the good, the Art, Moebius for the Incal and Zoran Janjetov for The Technopriests. I think Moebius is famous enough so you might be familiar with his work and legacy, but Janjetov's art is breathtaking, gorgeous if a bit stiff in some aspects but I love it.
Now the bad, Jodorowski himself, he's always playing the same themes, the chosen one, metaphysical, philosophical and existential. His dialogue is full of technobabble and his characters are always saved by the most outrageous asspulls... to me, it looks like the guy is trying way too hard to sound smart or "enlightened" yet I think he's just pretentious. Keep in mind that he might be very smart and I'm just an uneducated and ignorant prole who cannot grasp his greatness so you might like his work.

Asterix the Gaul: By René Goscinny and Albert Uderzo. A staple of my childhood, my mother has an almost complete collection of these comics (sorry Iggy, I meant bande dessinée), no, scratch that, she has the complete collection plus some that got made after Goscinny's death. The humor is great and I cannot vouch for the english translation but the spanish one is great; I don't know how faithful it is to the french editions but if it's not, then the translators did a great job adapting all the wordplay and puns (I still laugh out loud when I read "¡Es una guerra servil!"). If you read it, please stop the moment Uderzo takes over.

Megg, Mogg and Owl: By Simon Hanselmann. It is basically Depression: The Comic. It is about a witch, her cat boyfriend and their "friend" the neurotic Owl, a bunch of losers spiraling unto new lows everyday of their lives. It is very funny and depressing at the same time, the Bad Gateway tome hit me very hard in the gut. Fun for all family!

quote:
Well, Marvel is closing the Krakoa era now, so Gillen is finally working on something more personal. He's publishing some scenarios for the DIE RPG, but who knows after that!

High-five Iggy!

I can only dream of him finishing Über, but even if he does so I will never read anything else done by him, and to think he could wrap the story in two or three issues...

quote:
Maou accidentally pushed the Onsy button again but it was worth it! To this day, thinking about Onsy's old cat avatar makes me smile.

Was this cat or another one? Cats are nice and can make your life better.

Ssssssssushi! ^_^

"KFC Colonel vs. Onsy" , posted Wed 20 Mar 12:19post reply

Oh man, Asterix! Everyone loves Asterix. Years later, I still can't spell astericks as a result. I have an even greater love for Tintin, of course.

MEANWHILE

In keeping with our long tradition, here is some important historical news for the Cafe, very likely the only place to write in English about Colonel Sanders' curse about a decade before everyone else:

That's right, the Colonel's statue in Osaka, the one which was carried away by ecstatic Hanshin Tigers fans after their 1985 win due to his resemblence to the team's slugger before being tossed into the river and beginning a decades-long losing streak/curse, has finally been retired. He was rediscovered in 2009 and has given us his blessing from the display in KFC's Osaka office despite his peeling paint and crumbling state. The Tigers finally won again last fall after 38 years, so perhaps his final mission was complete.

Apparently, the Colonel was taken to Sumiyoshi Taisha shrine for a traditional ningyou-osame doll funeral pyre. The offerings included sacred sake as well as 30 pieces of KFC original chicken. EXCELLENT.

"Re(1):KFC Colonel vs. Onsy" , posted Thu 21 Mar 04:54post reply

The Colonel's coda! Thank you for letting us know that Sanders-sama has received the ending he deserved. Truly, he had no regrets in the life he led.

quote:
Was this cat or another one? Cats are nice and can make your life better.

Ssssssssushi! ^_^

It was the more manic cat, but this kitty is more suitable for you.

"Re(1):KFC Colonel vs. Onsy" , posted Mon 25 Mar 11:28post reply

quote:
Oh man, Asterix! Everyone loves Asterix. Years later, I still can't spell astericks as a result. I have an even greater love for Tintin, of course.

MEANWHILE

In keeping with our long tradition, here is some important historical news for the Cafe, very likely the only place to write in English about Colonel Sanders' curse about a decade before everyone else:

That's right, the Colonel's statue in Osaka, the one which was carried away by ecstatic Hanshin Tigers fans after their 1985 win due to his resemblence to the team's slugger before being tossed into the river and beginning a decades-long losing streak/curse, has finally been retired. He was rediscovered in 2009 and has given us his blessing from the display in KFC's Osaka office despite his peeling paint and crumbling state. The Tigers finally won again last fall after 38 years, so perhaps his final mission was complete.

Apparently, the Colonel was taken to Sumiyoshi Taisha shrine for a traditional ningyou-osame doll funeral pyre. The offerings included sacred sake as well as 30 pieces of KFC original chicken. EXCELLENT.

That's incredible and incredibly funny