Messy Writing Booth - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (202 Views )

user profileedit/delete message
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Messy Writing Booth" , posted Mon 25 May 08:41:post reply

The enormous mess that was occupying a corner of the cafe prominently had been relocated to a booth in a less prominent part in the south-western wing of the cafe. The mess wasn't so much "relocated" as it was swept away, and the person that was found underneath it politely dragged into a booth and served a drink and a menu.

As this person had been isolated under that pile of papers this entire time, the cafe owner decided that said person did not represent a coronavirus risk infection, which is why they were served a drink and a menu and not a boot and the exit.

Groggily waking up some days later, the exhumed person downed the drink, then took one of the pencils beside the salt and pepper shakers and looked for a napkin to write on. Writing on menus would be uncouth.

The cafe owner pre-empted the question with, "you'll have to order something if you want a napkin, those are expensive now, unfortunately".

Deciding that writing on the table would be impolite, the newly risen rummaged through pockets that had been sealed since the before-times, found a few dollar bills, and started writing on those. They probably weren't worth anything anymore, anyway.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Mon 25 May 12:08]

Replies:

"ATTN: Maou / nobi - WET MOON and AREA 51" , posted Mon 25 May 08:59:post reply

<ELEGANT TELEGRAM FOR MAOU>
<CRUMPLED SMUGGLED TELEGRAM FOR NOBI>

WET MOON by Kaneko Atsushi is the single best neo-noir manga I have seen in years. It has clear heavy inspirations from Hitchcock and David Lynch, and is as usual drawn in his unique style that seems much more Western than stereotypical mainstream manga with its heavy lines, non-moe characters, and entirely serious stories with a somewhat black sense of humor. It has a sense of camera angle/editing/composition in what it shows its panels that gives it a very movie-like feeling: you could probably make a movie just by making each panel a shot!
This page from the beginning of chapter 1 says all you need to know about this manga:
The Georges Méliès imagery is seriously important to the story, it's not just for show!
In the Western world, this author's most well-known work is probably SOIL, but WET MOON is a much more surreal piece.

In other highly Western-influenced manga, there's AREA 51 by Hisa Masato. In terms of writing, it is not nearly as interesting as WET MOON, but it is extremely interesting visually because of how directly it references the style of Mike Mignola. Seriously, if you told me that this manga was drawn and inked by Mike Mignola, I would've believed you. Unlike Mike Mignola's mangas where the action is often portrayed in a fashion that tends to happen in a slightly disjointed series of dramatic shots, this one devotes a lot more panels to the proceedings and has a much more fluid sense to the action. It is not nearly as serious as WET MOON is, but it is very entertaining to look at.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Mon 25 May 12:39]

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh

"In search of post no. 4" , posted Tue 26 May 02:01post reply

quote:
As this person had been isolated under that pile of papers this entire time, the cafe owner decided that said person did not represent a coronavirus risk infection, which is why they were served a drink and a menu and not a boot and the exit.
The recently unearthed writer was so busy sifting through mounds of paper and research material that he did not notice the other patron in the dimmest corner of the Cafe. Little escaped the gaze of the corner-dwelling patron, however, even while he was seemingly occupied with his lobster and English beer. For instance, he noticed that during the rare times when the writer looked up from his writing to eat, he always reached instinctively first for the spoon, rather than the fork or knife, despite not having ordered curry. Mayonnaise spreads poorly on a burger bun when using only a spoon.

In the course of correcting his cutlery, he unknowingly brushed one of papers, among the oldest and most discolored, off the table. It glided to the floor by the man in corner. Looking up from his lobster, the man noticed an early story proposal, written in a foreign script that was nonetheless familiar to him:

"After hundred years of succesfull operation of preserving each and every art pieces, books and statues by de-materializing them and recreating them in a digitized reality that we can freely visit, the unthinkable happens. Attack of a forgotten virus from 2020's wipes out all the art from the world."

He shuddered only briefly at the coincidence. They didn't him to vet story ideas, though he did wonder if the author had enough yoghurt in stock to stay safely homebound. He stood up, enough for the mask-clad Cafe proprietor to look up in his attentive manner to see if a bill was needed, but he shook his head.

"Not quite yet, thanks. I'll linger just a little longer until the fourth post. If you write everything in the third post, it doesn't show up on the bulletin board you have over at the corner of the bar."

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Return to Hotel Dusk" , posted Tue 26 May 02:19post reply

quote:

The man seemed content that his note was written clearly, and pinned the fourth comment on the wall. No one knew why the Cafe was so inviting that it led even the gruffest customers to post appreciative comments on their meals on a bulletin board on the way out.

"Coming around again soon?", asked the proprietor, gently but with interest, as was his way. Even with his mouth covered in a mask, his bespecaled eyes communicated both mystery and hospitality.

"All depends on the next job," the man answered, pulling a crumpled note out of his pocket. The text seemed earnestly written:

"Wet Moon has an impressively bold ink line, judging from that first panel. The eye in particular really stands out! Rather than western comics, the first thing I thought of was Tezuka's work---the bold, interesting lines of early Blackjack panels, where the comical characters often mixed interestingly with fairly graphic anatomical pictures. I wonder where my copies went...

And THAT reminds me that one of the most interesting things about Tezuka's work is something I think about every time I see a film with a well known actor I've seen somewhere else and yet am supposed to imagine as "this character in this film": his genius idea of having certain characters appear in different roles throughout his works, as if they were actors, as well. It's such an interesting idea that I've never seen reproduced. The closest thing I can think of is how Matsumoto Leiji's characters all end up crossing paths in different parts of space, from the Galaxy Express crew over to Captain Harlock and Queen Emeraldas.

The man looked bemusedly at this seemingly self-important analysis, but knew that it was all a code for his next destination. He wondered if Hotel Dusk was even still open these days. Only one way to find out.

He gave a subtle wave to the proprietor, who looked up from the glasses he was polishing to nod knowingly back, and headed out the door.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(1):ATTN: Maou / nobi - WET MOON and AREA 5" , posted Wed 27 May 01:52post reply

The drizzle outside is slight but relentless. A plant on my lanai is shedding leaves; yellowed fronds have littered the ground during the night. Rather than being ill the plant is enjoying the moisture too much. It is metabolizing so quickly it needs more trunk to support its burgeoning growth. While the plant may be thriving in this weather I feel like I am stagnating. I wanted to go out to purchase various sundries but the necessity of putting on a mask, umbrella, sweater and who knows what other accoutrements seems like too much trouble for minor household purchases.

No, today I shall not put on pants.

quote:
In other highly Western-influenced manga, there's AREA 51 by Hisa Masato. In terms of writing, it is not nearly as interesting as WET MOON, but it is extremely interesting visually because of how directly it references the style of Mike Mignola. Seriously, if you told me that this manga was drawn and inked by Mike Mignola, I would've believed you. Unlike Mike Mignola's mangas where the action is often portrayed in a fashion that tends to happen in a slightly disjointed series of dramatic shots, this one devotes a lot more panels to the proceedings and has a much more fluid sense to the action. It is not nearly as serious as WET MOON is, but it is very entertaining to look at.

Thanks for the recommendations, Wet Moon looks spiffy! However, when I looked up art for Area 51 I found it looked like Sin City before Frank Miller lost all his marbles. Is the manga an international mélange of differing art styles? When Joe Madureira sleeps does Hisa Masato draw his dreams?

"Re(2):ATTN: Maou / nobi - WET MOON and AREA 5" , posted Wed 27 May 02:59post reply

quote:
melange of different art styles

Oh it certainly is!

The main character's chunky hair actually reminds me of the animated Cyber Six:
rectangular!

The creatures in chapter 1 are extremely Mignola-ish:
a fish man

another sea beast

Lobster Johnson, is that you?!

But yes, extremely Sin City at times:
the deliberate omission of outline and powerful use of negative space!

Frankly, the proportions of the main character and her devilish associate make me think of Dowman Sayman.

"Ghost of Tsushima/Translation" , posted Wed 1 Jul 12:06post reply

I know Nobi has previously mocked Ghost of Tsushima for its stoic weebery (as opposed to anime weebery) and obsession with HONOR, but it's kind of hilarious that the translation issues we've previously talked about in Japanese releases of made-in-English titles extends to this particular game, which is set in Japan.

If the game is dubbed in English and subtitled in Japanese, and the translations are of typical E-to-J quality, I expect that this is going to be a legendary kusoge.

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(1):Ghost of Tsushima/Translation" , posted Wed 1 Jul 18:50post reply

quote:
I know Nobi has previously mocked Ghost of Tsushima for its stoic weebery (as opposed to anime weebery) and obsession with HONOR, but it's kind of hilarious that the translation issues we've previously talked about in Japanese releases of made-in-English titles extends to this particular game, which is set in Japan.

If the game is dubbed in English and subtitled in Japanese, and the translations are of typical E-to-J quality, I expect that this is going to be a legendary kusoge.

I just don't understand how you can waste so much money on an engine and save pennies on localization.
On the other hand, Sony has hilariously ignored Japan for the whole PS5 marketing plan (I think there is not a single Japanese game in the new Marvel-esque Sony logo showing all the game history of the company), so I guess they don't think a few thousand copies of Ghost of Cheese Teriyaki will change much.
Japan being only good as window dressing but irrelevant as a market sure is a weird turn of events.