20 years flys by! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1381 Views )
talbaineric
6310th Post

user profileedit/delete message
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"20 years flys by!" , posted Fri 24 Apr 09:52post reply

The year was 2000. I often came to MMCafe for the latest news and that's when I came across this forum. Safe to say it was the first video game forum I ever frequented. Fast forward to the present day, and it is still the only online forum I go to, after so many others I frequented have come and gone.

Though I don't post here at often as I used to, it has been quite the ride and this forum has seen me through some great gaming memories. Especially during the glory days of great games like MvC2 and the Capcom vs SNK series. Now, with the slew of new fighters, new memories are being made.

During these times of the coronavirus era, I am finding myself quite nostalgic and full of gratitude for things both big and little. I hope you and your loved ones are doing well during this pandemic. As far as fighters go, I eagerly await the next Street Fighter and the next KOF. I would love a new Darkstalkers, but I don't know if I ever see that happening.

Cheers to 20 years here!

Replies:

"Re(1):20 years flys by!" , posted Fri 24 Apr 13:17post reply

quote:
The year was 2000. I often came to MMCafe for the latest news and that's when I came across this forum. Safe to say it was the first video game forum I ever frequented. Fast forward to the present day, and it is still the only online forum I go to, after so many others I frequented have come and gone.

Though I don't post here at often as I used to, it has been quite the ride and this forum has seen me through some great gaming memories. Especially during the glory days of great games like MvC2 and the Capcom vs SNK series. Now, with the slew of new fighters, new memories are being made.

During these times of the coronavirus era, I am finding myself quite nostalgic and full of gratitude for things both big and little. I hope you and your loved ones are doing well during this pandemic. As far as fighters go, I eagerly await the next Street Fighter and the next KOF. I would love a new Darkstalkers, but I don't know if I ever see that happening.

Cheers to 20 years here!

It has been a long time, hasn't it?
I feel like saying "I've been lurking for a long time" is even weirder considering I've been posting here for what feels like more than a decade!

Here's to many more years of web 1.0!

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(1):20 years flys by!" , posted Fri 24 Apr 17:55post reply

We have started hiring in our company people who were manufactured after the SFC release of SF2. The last person was even released after KOF94.
I'm wondering what their perception of videogames older than them is. I'm trying to remember how I felt when my parents were talking about movies released in the 60s or 70s, movies that felt ANCIENT, sometimes cool, most of the time outdated and kind of lame. They felt closer to the construction of the pyramids than to my own time.
I stopped recommending games released before 2000 for this reason. I don't want to tell someone they should play FF6 or Super Metroid, and they'd look at it like I'd look at The Sound Of Music, making an effort to "put it back in context" and saying things like "it was nice for its time", while really all they'd want is to go back watching a streamer play LoL.

One of the unexpected challenges of getting old is to avoid behaving like an old person for as long as possible.
So, yeah. How do you do fellow olds.

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(2):20 years flys by!" , posted Fri 24 Apr 23:54:post reply

quote:
We have started hiring in our company people who were manufactured after the SFC release of SF2. The last person was even released after KOF94.
Ha! While I prefer late Showa vintage humans, Heisei (1989+) releases can still be pretty cool.

Sure, everyone finds their first console generation to be the baseline. For me, SFC is standard, and even FC besides Mario 1 and 3 is a little basic. But if change the analogy from movies to music, the 1960s comparison is actually the exact reason I would recommend pre-2000 games to intelligent people: anyone with any taste will go back to the classics of music or games, and just like the foundation of modern rock/pop music is in the breakout/golden age of UK-US rock of the 1960s-1970s, the foundation of modern games is arguably the breakout/golden age of 8-bit and 16-bit Nintendo systems...and by foundation for both, I mean the first time the stuff got really good and sophisticated. (This selfishly allows me to continue ignoring Atari and Colecovision.) No one claiming to love rock music could possibly ignore the Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc., and no one claiming to be serious about video games could have skipped the most important games on FC and SFC. They don't have to be your favorites, but you can't avoid respecting their innovation and influence.

I do admit that just like with disco or punk in the 1980s, the transitional period afterwards (PS1) is much more of an...acquired taste if you weren't there at the time.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 25 Apr 00:17]

"Re(3):20 years flys by!" , posted Sat 25 Apr 02:41post reply

I think that a lot of 8-bit games are still very playable today by people not raised on them, and 16-bit games even moreso. I agree that a lot of the PS1 games today are not going to resonate with people who didn't grow up with them, but then again a lot of them were headache inducing in a very literal fashion to me even back then! It certainly bothered me how going from the 60 FPS world of highly polished arcade and console games we suddenly found ourselves in a world of often sub-30 FPS games with blurry visuals... what's worse, certain sorts of "3D gameplay" I had experienced in more technically refined form on the PC prior to playing the PS1: I had already played Doom a great deal before I got to play any game on a PS1!

It also doesn't help that certain genres have continued on in unbroken fashion, such as the First-Person Shooter. The combination of design and technology refinements that have occurred continuously since then leads to a lot of interesting perspective on what is considered to still be "good" today: mostly games with very singleminded design and smooth performance (basically all of the Id Software games), games with very unique features (the highly customizable local multiplayer of Rare games and later the staff that made Timesplitters), and so on. Nobody feels like they have a good time playing the original Medal of Honor from the PS1 today.

On the flip side, there are a lot of fighting game communities which are host to many players who are only a few years older than the game they are playing! Some of them even younger! In one such fighting game discord, I recall that there was a 14 year old player from literally Siberia who found delight in a 20 year old game! Maybe there is yet hope for the children!

Mosquiton
2463th Post

"Re(4):20 years flys by!" , posted Sat 25 Apr 06:24:post reply

quote:

One of the unexpected challenges of getting old is to avoid behaving like an old person for as long as possible.

In both the old and the young, I count intellectual laziness as the chief defect that closes one off to worthwhile experiences with both the new and the old. From what I can see, Iggy, you are maintaining admiral degrees of analytical rigor and open-mindedness. I encourage you to continue searching for the beauty in all art, even if Romancing SaGa already offers you more than you would ever dare to ask for....

quote:
In one such fighting game discord, I recall that there was a 14 year old player from literally Siberia who found delight in a 20 year old game! Maybe there is yet hope for the children!

That is indeed heartening. I'm sure I've said this here before, but the internet actually does a heck of a job smoothing away generational differences. I can (and do) listen to any kind of music from any era, look at examples of visual art spanning centuries, and emulate games from almost any platform; I can also find volumes of information about these works that helps me place it in context (on that note, shoutout to Schmuplations) in particular).

Sure, plenty of (shitty) people practice gatekeeping. They can harass and spout garbage, but the entire goddamn internet is much too wide a goal to tend. Back in the day, you may have needed to look and act a certain way to score access to a particular experience or community. Now, for all they know, they could be sharing bootleg recordings/WonderSwan ROMS over the interwebs with a smart and curious shiba inu (dog ending strikes again)! It is a great time for anyone to seek out media and art. The problem is that there's so damn much of it....

Anyway, to conclude, I want to assure everyone here that I am neither an naive idealist, a secret millennial, or a rare breed of canine. I'm actually just procrastinating...I really need to get back to work.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Sat 25 Apr 06:27]

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(5):20 years flys by!" , posted Sat 25 Apr 08:10post reply

Last night I watched a stream of Red Earth/Warzard. What a beautiful, bizarre game. It seemed designed to be the pinnacle of a genre that never existed. I'm not certain the gameplay itself was the important part, rather Warzard was there to showcase animation, design and all the pointless secrets and weird little minutia that help create the experience of playing a videogame. The unsung, important parts that come together to make a whole.

It seems appropriate that this thread popped up discussing how much time has been spent here at the café. Here's to the finer things in life.

Professor
5752th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):20 years flys by!" , posted Sat 25 Apr 16:03post reply

It's quite something to fathom that the MMCafe BBS has around for 20 years. This place has been crazy, wonderful, and insanely colorful, thanks to all of its members. A great grateful thank you, to everyone, for being excellent all these years.

Throughout the years we've had many members-- those that are still with us and are active, those that are still with us at heart, and of course, those that are with us in memory. I would also like to thank those whom never became members, but still took their time to check things out here as a lurker.

If I were to be asked back in 2000 about how long the BBS or the site itself would be running, I would have completely shrugged without a clue, although plans back then were to keep things running as long as possible, at least in terms of server and BBS. That plan still holds true as of now. While MMCafe's top page is currently collecting dust, it will be interesting to see what will be holding for it in the future, fresh off the Grill.

Platinum Carpet V.I.P - IGGY ARI !

"Re(7):20 years flys by!" , posted Mon 27 Apr 06:57post reply

It's true, thanks a lot Prof for having us all here at your bar! You're definitely the one that hold this place together.

Speaking of old people, yet another domain where Vampire Savior is the best (though almost all of those are good to great).
Please tell me your select!

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(7):20 years flys by!" , posted Mon 27 Apr 11:06post reply

quote:
It's quite something to fathom that the MMCafe BBS has around for 20 years. This place has been crazy, wonderful, and insanely colorful, thanks to all of its members. A great grateful thank you, to everyone, for being excellent all these years.

Throughout the years we've had many members-- those that are still with us and are active, those that are still with us at heart, and of course, those that are with us in memory. I would also like to thank those whom never became members, but still took their time to check things out here as a lurker.

If I were to be asked back in 2000 about how long the BBS or the site itself would be running, I would have completely shrugged without a clue, although plans back then were to keep things running as long as possible, at least in terms of server and BBS. That plan still holds true as of now. While MMCafe's top page is currently collecting dust, it will be interesting to see what will be holding for it in the future, fresh off the Grill.

Thanks for these wonderful 20 years, Professor, and there's to another 20 more!

Since I basically live surrounded by Heisei-born people, this is one of the few places out there where I can feel adequately old but not yet out of place. And I really appreciate that.

Even if I don't post that much nowadays, the Cafe is still the site I religiously visit every single day I connect to the Internet, much like I have done since the day I surfed the net for the first time on the year of Our Lord of 1998!

A Talking about Japanese History sword in hand

"Re(8):20 years flys by!" , posted Mon 27 Apr 12:01post reply

quote:
It's true, thanks a lot Prof for having us all here at your bar! You're definitely the one that hold this place together.

Speaking of old people, yet another domain where Vampire Savior is the best (though almost all of those are good to great).
Please tell me your select!

I have to say I always thought the Vsav fight intro seemed like it was far below the level of the character select screen, to the point where I thought it looked kind of cheap given the incredible splendor of the rest of the game.

One of my favourite round starts is NOT there!
And it's from a doujin game!
Eternal Fighter Zero's flashes and blurs and glows have a fantastic sense of panache and motion!

talbaineric
6311th Post

"Thanks Professor!" , posted Tue 28 Apr 11:04post reply

quote:

I'm glad this board has kept going. Thanks Professor for that!

I can't wait to see what's in the future for the site and the BBS.

talbaineric
6312th Post

"Re(6):20 years flys by!" , posted Tue 28 Apr 11:06post reply

quote:
Last night I watched a stream of Red Earth/Warzard. What a beautiful, bizarre game. It seemed designed to be the pinnacle of a genre that never existed. I'm not certain the gameplay itself was the important part, rather Warzard was there to showcase animation, design and all the pointless secrets and weird little minutia that help create the experience of playing a videogame. The unsung, important parts that come together to make a whole.

It seems appropriate that this thread popped up discussing how much time has been spent here at the café. Here's to the finer things in life.

I had the Japanese guidebook from way back in the day. Once I looked at some of the oddities I was intrigued. It was an unusual game for it's time. Makes me wonder if it will ever appear in the present day as a download from the PS store or something?

Cheers to the finer things in life!

Yuki Yagami

215th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):20 years flys by!" , posted Tue 28 Apr 14:21post reply

Yeah! It's been a miracle this place is still around for more than 25 years in the internet.

Forums of other sites come and gone and this place is still here.

Here's for more years to come...

"Lasciate ogne speranza"
talbaineric
6314th Post

"Re(8):20 years flys by!" , posted Wed 6 May 23:04post reply

quote:
Yeah! It's been a miracle this place is still around for more than 25 years in the internet.

Forums of other sites come and gone and this place is still here.

Here's for more years to come...

Indeed. Wishing this place many more years of longevity.

Just a Person
2203th Post

"Re(1):20 years flys by!" , posted Wed 6 May 23:42post reply

quote:

Cheers to 20 years here!

I forgot you joined the MMCafe board the same year I did, Eric... and for the same reasons, too! I first came here looking for news and screenshots of MvC2 and KoF 2000 (back then, it was quite hard to find screenshots and reliable information of upcoming games).

This used to be a great place to discuss any subject, from fighting games to other games and even non-gaming subjects... and surprisingly, 20 years later, it's still just as great as it was back then! And one of the best things is that, whether you're a pro player or a "noob" like I was (and like I still am), it doesn't matter; the people here will be just as welcoming and share any information or tips you may be looking for, without any condescending treatment.

Professor is probably very proud of this board. And he should be. And I thank him (and all of the people here, really) for providing such a great place to visit every day.

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.
talbaineric
6315th Post

"Re(2):20 years flys by!" , posted Fri 8 May 08:33post reply

quote:

Cheers to 20 years here!

I forgot you joined the MMCafe board the same year I did, Eric... and for the same reasons, too! I first came here looking for news and screenshots of MvC2 and KoF 2000 (back then, it was quite hard to find screenshots and reliable information of upcoming games).

This used to be a great place to discuss any subject, from fighting games to other games and even non-gaming subjects... and surprisingly, 20 years later, it's still just as great as it was back then! And one of the best things

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Oh wow, I didn't know you also joined in 2000! Rad!

Yes, finding good quality screenshots back then was tough. I remember even in the gaming magazines, it was usually poor quality.