Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2093 Views )
nobinobita
1907th Post

user profileedit/delete message
Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Sat 14 Mar 22:01post reply

I just wanted to check in and see how everyone's been doing during this global pandemic. How are you doing? How's your country handling things? How are you dealing with developments? What games are you catching up on while quarantining?

I'll go first.

I live in a top tourist destination in Thailand and the streets are quieter than I ever remember in my entire life. This has been terrible for the local economy, but it means people are also taking things seriously, which is heartening. There was a mask shortage for a bit, and many stores were engaging in insane price gauging. It also turned out that members of our own government were sellinh tons of masks to China for their own personal profit. This has promoted people to start hoarding masks and other goods, but thankfully it hasn't gotten as crazy as America. I went to a pharmacy last night and they were fully stocked on all sorts of supplies including masks and there was no price gauging. In fact you can report stores for that now, which is also heartening.

The thing I'm most concerned of out here is that we simply aren't equipped to accurately administer tests. And as a tourist driven economy a lot of leaders feel it's in their best interest to not test or report. We will never have an accurate assessment of what's going on. This is of grave concern to me cos if you look back at the Swine Flu it actually hit SE Asia really hard. 10x more fatalities than initially thought after the pandemic passed.

But life goes on. Gotta do the best we can. At my office, we have transitioned everyone to working from home. Doing our part to encourage "social distancing." Also gave everyone masks and we built everyone air filters too (mostly for burning season, but that's a whole nother matter--though the poor air quality will make the pandemic worse!).

Anyway, on the flip side, while I hope up at home, I can finally catch up on a lot of games! I was actually playing SamSho and GranBlue fairly regularly before the pandemic. We also just recently started playing UNIB at the office. Someone finally explained the basic mechanics of the game to me (which were confusing as hell at first but eerily intuitive once someone actually explains them to you). That game is SO DAMN GOOD. I am left wondering why anyone would play any other new fighting game over it now haha. I'll probably pick it up on Steam and practice at home.

I also recently started playing the original Sakura Wars as an excellent full fan translation dropped a few weeks ago. It's so good! Such dang charming!! Better than I expected! (I don't play a lot of visual novel type games so maybe I'm not the best judge).

I was thinking of picking up the latest DQ as well. Anyone got any advice on whether I should get it on PS4 or Switch?

Welp thats enough about me. How are y'all doing?
I wish you all the best.
Cheers!

www.art-eater.com

Replies:
Lord SNK
422th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Sat 14 Mar 22:49post reply

Greetings from Italy, here the air is surreal with empty streets and almost all stores closed, as we recently got in full lockdown mode, after wasting like 1 month doing palliative things. Now that the number of positives are skyrocketing people started to take a little more seriously this pandemic. I don't know how the other EU countries plan to handle the emergency while totally doing nothing to prevent the spread of the virus until the last 2 or 3 days.

This week I started working from home, so free time is almost the same as before, but I started to play Nier (PS3) and plan to play Nier Automata after that.

Professor
5746th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Sun 15 Mar 01:09:post reply

Ahoy Nobi! Welcome back to the BBS!

Here, it feels very odd given that Japan, logically thinking and considering its distance to the epicenter, should have a lot more reported cases. Being an island probably helps to a large extent compared to some other countries. But given that it's the second most popular tourist location for China and there was no inbound restrictions until recent, general assumption is that the government has been applying tests to only critical cases, keeping figures low to lessen impact towards economy and the upcoming Olympics (which they're still planning on running as scheduled). Ironically, it's helped the medical situation; hospitals are functioning thus far without being being overwhelmed despite that Japan has been one of the earlier countries to report its first cases. It wouldn't be surprising though if in reality the virus is already widespread, especially given how public transportation is the lifeline of the country. I am not sure why there aren't as many critical cases as Italy despite that the ratio and population of elderies in Japan is quite similar. If there were, it's extremely doubtful that the government can underplay it.

The rule of thumb for daily life right now is the same here as for other countries; keep indoors and tele-work without hitting the office if possible. Of course the reality though is that very few places except those confirmed to have had coronavirus cases are actually practicing this, and people are still riding the overcrowded trains during rush hours. Face masks have become extremely hard to come by and it's also the peak of the hayfever season, so it's a double whammy for people that don't have the working option of staying indoors.

In the streets, it's still the usual busy Tokyo, just a little quieter without the odd huge population of of tourists that exploded in recent years. Product shortages in supermarkets have been happening again and it feels like 2011 all over, just not as bad in some ways since leave aside being cautious when in contact with people, you don't have to worry about things being contaminated in the long term. People including myself have probably wised up since that experience.

In terms of taking this opportunity to catch up with games, the FF7Remake has unfortunately been delayed to next month but I'm playing Granblue Versus as well as the mobile original. There's a lot of games backlogged that I should be playing, but lots aside of games that needs to be done, too...!

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 15 Mar 02:04]

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Sun 15 Mar 06:50post reply

quote:
I just wanted to check in and see how everyone's been doing during this global pandemic. How are you doing? How's your country handling things? How are you dealing with developments? What games are you catching up on while quarantining?

I can't speak for the whole US, but in my area people are mostly treating it as an annoyance. There have been no local cases yet, but a few false claims have been reported. I'd say that way too many think like President Trump, or at least believe the things Trump says.

A few companies and organizations are taking it seriously, or have orders from above to at the least follow certain new safety procedures. Schools and the local senior center are cancelling crowded events. One of the fast food chains has order much stricter sanitation and safety guidelines. I know of one business that has told employees to not attend meetings and to work at home if possible. My bank has a notice up saying to not come in if you believe you might be sick or are showing symptoms of being sick. But most seem to be operating as normal, with little to no attention or seeming care towards risks.

Like always, some people panic and clean certain items from stores, which in turn puts the pressure on others to also buy what they can or risk doing without. Yesterday, I saw a woman with a shopping cart filled with just toilet paper and paper towels, enough to probably last her months. I had to go to a Wal-Mart today, and the entire paper products section was stripped bare, the cleaning products section had taken some hits and the instant ramen section of the grocery was stripped except for a few lone cup noodle packages.

People stocking up in stores has itself made stores more crowded at the moment. I felt sick just being in that Wal-Mart, with the higher than normal crowds. (Not really getting sick, just that I felt like I was getting sick just being there.) Similar for places like banks, which seemed more overcrowded than usual. I don't know if it was from people getting money to hit the stores, or from people who felt they might not be able to go to the bank in the next few weeks.

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Sun 15 Mar 07:15post reply

Yeah, my entire team is staying out of the office for the next little bit. People are definitely panic-buying things in LA, and the sight of things being panic bought encourages panic buying from others.

I'm pretty ok when it comes to food and basic necessities, and some food delivery services like Door Dash now have the option of "leave the food on the doorstep" so that you don't even need to get your delivery handed to you.

I feel like China is a case where the initial response to it was AWFUL (the whole business with one of the doctor's getting censured and the local authorities suppressing information, the suppression of discussion about it on social media, etc.), but once things got serious the country was both willing to discuss it internationally and engage in coordinated action. I almost think that that combination (incredible under-reaction followed by what at the time seemed like incredible over-reaction) wound up giving a lot of other people a bizarre sense of the scope of the problem. But in an additional hindsight, once the local and federal organizations got their act together, their actions were appropriate.

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(1):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Sun 15 Mar 07:59post reply

It's been amazing and terrifying to see how quickly this has spread. Spring Festival was less than two months ago!

Illness has already been reported in my area and I'm in Flyover Country, USA. All the cases appear to be contained but since all it takes is one chucklehead breaking quarantine for this to get bad I'm still being careful. Strangely, the social distancing that the suburbs naturally create may work as a defense in my part of the world.

The university I work at has switched to online classes for the rest of the semester. While I don't think I will be telecommuting much I feel a lot better about my situation since an empty campus is much easier to deal with than crowds of students. The day of the shutdown was the strangest sensation I've felt in ages. There was a palpable tension running through the air. Between the rising numbers of sick in the US and the free falling stock market it felt like everything was coming apart at the seams. It was as if a storm was brewing but this was such a unique situation that no one knew exactly how to react. When the university announced its shutdown procedures that afternoon it didn't come as a surprise but rather the correct end to a wild day.

The Ishmael household is well stocked up on food, masks and enough hand sanitizer to dry up a medium sized lake. Here's to hoping the rest of you are doing well!

quote:
I was thinking of picking up the latest DQ as well. Anyone got any advice on whether I should get it on PS4 or Switch?

I tried the PS4 version and found the music so terrible and repetitive that I stopped playing.

As for my virus videogaming, I recently picked up the conservative power fantasy Division 2 when it was on sale. I was amused to discover the game's backstory was that a pandemic swept the world and caused the US to be divided into either gun-toting people in backpacks and gangs straight out of Mad Max. Why do the Mad Max gangs always survive the apocalypse? I should buy leather pants and a muscle car to get ready just in case things get really bad.

"Re(2):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Sun 15 Mar 08:30post reply

Governor just ordered all public schools in my state to be closed for the next two weeks, and has also banned mass gatherings of more than 100 people.

23 cases in my state, 1 confirmed positive while the other 22 are presumptive positive.

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
CFN: Gojira

"Re(3):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Sun 15 Mar 14:49post reply

Well my location is apparently "ground zero" for the US localization of the virus and it's fun. Schools and businesses are closed, gatherings are forbidden, there's even a government hold placed on local evictions. I was supposed to visit my parents last week but of course I had to cancel the flight. They're old, my dad used to smoke and my mom has had respiratory illness, I don't want to risk spreading it their way. The situation sucks.

Ungenesis
535th Post

PSN: entropytempts
XBL: ungenesis9
Wii: SW-3287-7029-8309(Switch)
STM: ungenesis
CFN: ungenesis
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Sun 15 Mar 16:06:post reply

Florida Mankind is bizarre and depressing.

Finding basic staples like spaghetti is impossible. Yesterday I had to brave 6 stores to find meat. Toilet paper is a distant memory and I haven't pooped at home in 2 days. Tangentially related, McDonald's bathrooms are still gross. I've watched grown men fistfight over paper towels, and every driver on the road is an inconsiderate animal.

The panic has people truly reconsidering their attachments to physical possessions, especially those non-essential to post-apocalypse survival. When I went hunting for a bargain Xbone last week, someone scoffed at my $100 console only / no extras offer. This morning, she begged me to take it with the controllers for $70. Turned out to be an S.

quote:
some food delivery services like Door Dash now have the option of "leave the food on the doorstep" so that you don't even need to get your delivery handed to you.

I'm a Dasher - in my area at least, they're recommending this but not reinforcing it, not making any app changes to facilitate it, or making any adjustments to delivery time expectations to include the extra steps. They find it quite optional - just like paying their drivers!

quote:

PS4 if all you care about is pretty graphics, Switch for content / music / portability / replay value.

As for quarantine gaming, I'm checking out some old XB ports I missed over the years like Guardian Heroes and NGBC while I await PSO2uesday.

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

Switch: SW-3287-7029-8309

[this message was edited by Ungenesis on Sun 15 Mar 16:10]

"Re(3):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Mon 16 Mar 16:51post reply

I'm deciding if I want to play Death Stranding the video game, or if I want to try bringing something to somebody and playing Death Stranding in real life!

Professor
5748th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Tue 17 Mar 01:56post reply

quote:
Florida Mankind is bizarre and depressing.

Finding basic staples like spaghetti is impossible. Yesterday I had to brave 6 stores to find meat. Toilet paper is a distant memory and I haven't pooped at home in 2 days. Tangentially related, McDonald's bathrooms are still gross. I've watched grown men fistfight over paper towels, and every driver on the road is an inconsiderate animal.

grown men fist fighting over paper rolls sounds like a since storyline for a fighting game! Likewise to what you've said, I've heard from friends in Australia that staple food and inperishable goods are gone off their shelves too, and the same in New York as well (meat is sold out too but fish seems to be left over).

Toilet rolls are in the short here too, and one suggestion that's making rounds is to use pet litter sheets (aka training pads) instead, which does make sense considering they tend to be available anywhere and come in good quality. Using newspaper and washing afterwards (to get rid of any ink) is also being whispered amongst people.

"Re(4):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Tue 17 Mar 04:30post reply

quote:

Toilet rolls are in the short here too, and one suggestion that's making rounds is to use pet litter sheets (aka training pads) instead, which does make sense considering they tend to be available anywhere and come in good quality. Using newspaper and washing afterwards (to get rid of any ink) is also being whispered amongst people.

Finally, a use for the Samurai 8 tankobon.

neo0r0chiaku
553th Post

PSN: ShikyohMukuro
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: N/A
CFN: n/a
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Tue 17 Mar 06:35:post reply

quote:

Finally, a use for the Samurai 8 tankobon.

Although no cases in EL Salvador yet, they shut down the airport completely for inbound and outbound. I think its a Safe move.

Gaming, I have not yet and may not. I am watching Turn A Gundam for the first time. Would like to know peoples opinion on this. It is different. Odd thing is growing up, people spoke negative about it. It pushed me away. However, lately in the past 5 or so years, I have seen people praising it. Even calling it a classic and one the the greatest series.
Can some one fill in these gaps for me? So far I.....like....it?

Back to gaming. Still trying to blast my way to Blasphemous. RANT.......This game is hard, really hard, but hard to challenge you, Hollow Knight is not! Hollow Knight is frustration on a pill.

Megaman Zero/ZX legacy collection is out. Got my FU-UN Super Combo Copy. I am really anxiously waiting to play Luminous Avenger X soon hopefully. Can give some quick reviews for those who may be interested.

Blazing Chrome - 7/10 It pretty radical. Fun and challenging. Pretty short but its 16-bit glory. Its a good run.
Jamestown+ - 5/10 I dont like games that require you to play the same stage on different difficulty settings to unlock more stages in order to progress the campaign. That sucks. Bad way to kill what seems to be a decent shooter.
Ghost Blade HD - 6/10 its OK. Nothing to peak the interest as much.
Crystalis 7/10 - There is some potential there. My only complaint is the splitting of the gems. Its a newly implemented strategy that can be effective, but can hamper your results if you are trying to play quickly.

Long Live I AM!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Tue 17 Mar 06:36]

"Re(4):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Tue 17 Mar 23:35:post reply

Bread vanished over the last few days. Shelves were stocked over the weekend. I'd heard that when one store brought a cart of bread out from the stockroom, the cart was half stripped by customers before it even reached the area to be shelved.

Rubbing alcohol and hand soap/sanitizer vanished not long after the paper products. I still don't understand why toilet paper vanished first, like some weird post-apocalyptic fantasy situation was happening where you wouldn't be able to buy it again.

Meat sections are starting to get stripped. Food still seems to mostly be vanishing based on how easy it is to fix, how long it keeps, and just general desire. There is still plenty of food on the shelves, but it is impossible to find certain types of food. You can't get bread, but you can easily get all the ingredients that you would use to bake bread.

Multiple stores are starting to cut back hours in various ways. A local Hardees was telling customers to call first before arriving, because orders from above might switch them to only drive-through service. A number of other fast food chains in the area have already switched to drive-through only. (At least some of the places that haven't don't seem to be seeing much in the way of sit down customers anyway.) At a Dollar General, they had a sign up saying that they were shortening hours and that seniors would be given preference when checking out. A local grocery store has warned that they might end up temporarily closing if they don't start getting more stock from the warehouses, but right now I wouldn't guess that they are suffering profit-wise as people just switch to buying whatever is available.

I'm seeing more people that seem to be taking matters seriously. Though they also mostly seem to be older people, the ones who were already willing to take even the regular flu seriously. I even saw people jokingly bumping elbows instead of shaking hands. A fair amount of younger people still don't seem to care.

Over the weekend, my state's governor warned that they were considering ordering everything to be shut down for 14 days. Hasn't happened yet, but maybe the threat alone has helped some people take the idea of prevention at least a little more seriously.

[this message was edited by Baines on Tue 17 Mar 23:50]

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Wed 18 Mar 00:24post reply

Hey everybody, I've been away for a while but I thought I'd stop in to check on everyone's wellbeing!

I recently moved countries to Canada, and while the number of cases we have here are still small compared to the States, lots of things have been shut down, like schools and all government offices. I have at least one friend who while self-quarantined has developed some respiratory issues, but she's prone to them anyway, and it could still be just a cold or the flu! That's the excruciating part here-- every time my partner or I cough, we wonder if it's just a cough or if it's the Rona.

I'm in the same boat as Gojira where I have a pair of elderly parents on the other side of the continent, one of whom is on oxygen and has a galaxy of respiratory issues. Add to that the fact that they seem to feel as though they're invincible to all this, which again is excruciating. Delightful times we're living in!

Anyway, stay safe Cafe-ers!

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(6):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Wed 18 Mar 04:01post reply

Shit is weird.

That's really all there is to say. Our Prime-Clown-in-Chief in the UK is not helping.
At least we can both work from home and get deliveries.

Still.

Shit is really weird.

"Re(7):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Wed 18 Mar 10:50post reply

My nearby supermarket is likely getting an influx of customers from farther away, because I don't think the local population is dense enough to deplete the store. Baking powder and yeast were both sold out today, as well as flour. Plenty of eggs on the shelves, but only 2 purchases per household, though.

The Bay Area where some of my friends are is shut down super hard, basically like Wuhan levels of shutdown ("shelter-in-place", meaning nobody is to go out except for food/medical needs, or if you work for one of those or an emergency service).

One thing which I wonder about is that in places like San Francisco which is full of young single people how that affects exposure rates. A family of 4 only needs one person to go out to buy groceries (and indeed, that's what Wuhan had an edict for at one point), whereas 4 single people need to each go out for groceries individually, resulting in 4 people out on the streets. At the same time, younger folk are not a high-risk group when it comes to mortality for this disease....

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(8):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Thu 19 Mar 00:13post reply

In this period of confinement and mandatory working from home, I've been using the virtual background of Zoom a lot. It just so happens that some fighting game backgrounds fit perfectly in the window!

Right now, I'm using War Agony, Buletta's background from Savior. It's an accurate representation of the state of my supermarket last time I went there.

I tried Foetus of God. It didn't go well with my boss...

Just a Person
2189th Post

"Re(9):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone!" , posted Thu 19 Mar 04:49post reply

Here in São Paulo, people are already being encouraged to work remotely from home and advising to avoid leaving home as much as possible.

The main problem is the abomination that is currently the president of Brazil, who has encouraged people to go to manifestations on his behalf and isn't even trying to treat the pandemic seriously, plus the minister of Economy complaining that this will negatively affect the national economy (obviously) and suggesting that only old people should stay at home and young people should remain taking crowded public transportation and going to work normally.

Oh, and did I mention the president was advised to stay quarantined as he's strongly suspected of having contracted the coronavirus... and yet he left quarantine to hug his supporters (who are mostly elder people) at one of the public manifestations?

Yeah... every time I think that man can't get any lower (and stupid), he surprises me. A real despicable human being.

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.

"Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Everyone" , posted Thu 19 Mar 06:42post reply

quote:
Oh, and did I mention the president was advised to stay quarantined as he's strongly suspected of having contracted the coronavirus... and yet he left quarantine to hug his supporters (who are mostly elder people) at one of the public manifestations?

The main thing I'm learning from this thread is that every country seems to have their own President Trump.

Locally, our governor has ordered the dine-in area of all restaurants and bars in the state to be closed. Drive-through and take-out are still allowed, though I know several have switched entirely to drive-thru. As of yesterday morning, the state had 44 confirmed cases.

Apparently the meat sections are getting cleaned out in supermarkets around my area, and ingredients like sugar are also vanishing. I don't know if they are getting bought out or if they are just not being restocked as normal though. Bread shows up, bread vanishes. It is kind of funny in how it vanishes, as you can get an idea for which brands people aren't interested in by how long they remain on the shelf. Some brands get cleaned out quickly, while others just linger on the shelf, slowly picked up by customers who find no other options remain and yet decide they absolutely must have a loaf of bread regardless.

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(2):Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Ev" , posted Thu 19 Mar 11:15post reply

quote:
grown men fistfight over paper towels
every driver on the road is an inconsiderate animal.
backpacks and gangs straight out of Mad Max.

While the situation is frightening and terrible, the Cafe's keen understanding of Hokuto No Ken means it is better prepared than most for what to do in any apocalypse. YOU WA SHOCK!

More seriously, I'm extra sorry for Cafe patrons worried about older family members. The US capital is not as bad right now as other parts, and there was a preview of adaptation measures earlier when ]Japanese companies here adopted telework and distancing planning to align with the existing situation in Tokyo.
quote:
The Ishmael household is well stocked up on food, masks and enough hand sanitizer to dry up a medium sized lake
Zoom backgrounds: Fetus of God
Truly the most useful crisis responses I've read yet!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

"Re(3):Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Ev" , posted Tue 24 Mar 06:32:post reply

I don't know how everyone else is doing, but the US has over 40,000 confirmed cases with 577 deaths. The Surgeon General has tried to warn that its going to get bad soon. Ignorance and greed certainly isn't helping. Too many people either believe it doesn't affect them. Or just don't care that it affects others.

My state now has now ordered schools to stay closed until May 15. Grocery stores are cutting hours shorter again. One county is pretty much closing its borders to non-residents, people with business will need to request travel permits to enter.

EDIT: Well, that escalated fast, as expected. 16 states have now ordered people to stay home; I wouldn't be surprised if my state passes a similar order by the end of the week. My state's reported cases jumped enough in the last 24 hours for the jump itself to make news, even though it is still below 400.

Meanwhile, Trump has said that he wants America "reopened" as soon as possible, and would make the decision after 15 days. He not only promised the US wouldn't be shut down for months, he went as far as to say that shutting the US down for an extended period would probably result in more deaths (through reasons like suicide) than the virus itself causes.

[this message was edited by Baines on Tue 24 Mar 20:22]

PSN: SeizyaStarlight

"Re(4):Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Ev" , posted Wed 25 Mar 02:06post reply

I'm okay? People need to realize that this is SARS more or less. We beated SARS before. We can beat this current one.

The worst part about this scenario is that one can't see their parents. Of all of the siblings, I see them the most, as that's what first-born sons do. As soon as this mess is over, besides seeing them, I'm going to a restaurant up in Oakland.

Mosquiton
2459th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Ev" , posted Wed 25 Mar 06:04:post reply

quote:
I'm okay? People need to realize that this is SARS more or less.

Glad everyone here seems to be okay.

You know, it's more and less, but it really does lean pretty heavily toward the "more". While the base fatality rate is lower, this new virus has hit 7 times as many countries and has already infected and killed more than 15 times as many people as SARS did total. I agree that we'll get through it, but there's no benefit to downplaying the severity of the issue.

Canada seems to be doing a fairly good job with their response, and I feel like I'm fine where I am. Toilet paper has been hard to come by, but our last expedition was successful. We had to visit seven different stores to do it, but we were finally able to get our hands on some of those coveted rolls (and grab a pack for an elderly neighbor).

I do worry about the US. Leadership at the federal level is inconsistent. Some individuals seem to be more concerned with enriching themselves than in protecting the people they profess to serve. State leadership is going to be very important, and a lot of states suffer from poor/sluggish/indecisive/moronic governance.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Wed 25 Mar 06:06]

Just a Person
2191th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Ev" , posted Wed 25 Mar 09:04:post reply

quote:

The main thing I'm learning from this thread is that every country seems to have their own President Trump.

Trump is despicable, but Bolsonaro is much worse. Trump at the very least seems to be doing something to prevent the pandemic dissemination; Bolsonaro has just made a live statement attacking the media and the State governors and demanding that the governors end the quarantine in their States because "people need to go out and work to keep the economy alive".

I'm not sure if he can even be called a human being at this point.

---

EDIT: oh, and did I mention yesterday he published a provisional measure allowing employers not to pay their employees for four months during the pandemic? Fortunately he changed his mind later (after a lot of bad press), but still.

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Wed 25 Mar 09:26]

"Re(6):Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Ev" , posted Wed 25 Mar 18:33post reply

quote:
I'm okay? People need to realize that this is SARS more or less.

Glad everyone here seems to be okay.

You know, it's more and less, but it really does lean pretty heavily toward the "more". While the base fatality rate is lower, this new virus has hit 7 times as many countries and has already infected and killed more than 15 times as many people as SARS did total. I agree that we'll get through it, but there's no benefit to downplaying the severity of the issue.

Canada seems to be doing a fairly good job with their response, and I feel like I'm fine where I am. Toilet paper has been hard to come by, but our last expedition was successful. We had to visit seven different stores to do it, but we were finally able to get our hands on some of those coveted rolls (and grab a pack for an elderly neighbor).

I do worry about the US. Leadership at the federal level is inconsistent. Some individuals seem to be more concerned with enriching themselves than in protecting the people they profess to serve. State leadership is going to be very important, and a lot of states suffer from poor/sluggish/indecisive/moronic governance.

Glad that Canada's being smart or at least, taking this response scenario seriously. Whether or not elderberries work, I don't know. Maybe.

"Re(3):Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Ev" , posted Wed 25 Mar 22:45post reply

quote:
Trump at the very least seems to be doing something to prevent the pandemic dissemination; Bolsonaro has just made a live statement attacking the media and the State governors and demanding that the governors end the quarantine in their States because "people need to go out and work to keep the economy alive".

I don't know. I'm not trying to say that Bolsonaro isn't worse, but that is pretty close to what Trump has been doing.

Trump has attacked the media from the start, and is still doing so. He intentionally openly flouted safety precautions. He flat out lied about the number of cases, as well as the direction of cases. It wasn't too long ago that he attacked a reporter for calling him out on such matters.

He issued a statement saying that he intended to reopen the US well before doctor suggestions for the sake of the economy. He tried to distract from the detail that this would lead to more deaths with his claim that keeping the US shut down would itself lead to more deaths than the virus would cause. He painted doctors' quarantine desires as impractical and unreasonable.

Over the years, Trump has pretty much fired, drove off, or replaced anyone around him that doesn't tell him what he wants to hear. I think the only reason Trump has said remotely reasonable things in regards to the coronavirus is that even some of his yes men have been shaken up enough by matters to push a bit of common sense.

(And we are pretty much guaranteed to get another four years of Trump. I honestly don't see him not getting re-elected.)

neo0r0chiaku
554th Post

PSN: ShikyohMukuro
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: N/A
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Ev" , posted Wed 25 Mar 22:57post reply

quote:
Trump at the very least seems to be doing something to prevent the pandemic dissemination; Bolsonaro has just made a live statement attacking the media and the State governors and demanding that the governors end the quarantine in their States because "people need to go out and work to keep the economy alive".

I don't know. I'm not trying to say that Bolsonaro isn't worse, but that is pretty close to what Trump has been doing.

Trump has attacked the media from the start, and is still doing so. He intentionally openly flouted safety precautions. He flat out lied about the number of cases, as well as the direction of cases. It wasn't too long ago that he attacked a reporter for calling him out on such matters.

He issued a statement saying that he intended to reopen the US well before doctor suggestions for the sake of the economy. He tried to distract from the detail that this would lead to more deaths with his claim that keeping the US shut down would itself lead to more deaths than the virus would cause. He painted doctors' quarantine desires as impractical and unreasonable.

Over the years, Trump has pretty much fired, drove off, or replaced anyone around him that doesn't tell him what he wants to hear. I think the only reason Trump has said remotely reasonable things in regards to the coronavirus is that even some of his yes men have been shaken up enough by matters to push a bit of common sense.

(And we are pretty much guaranteed to get another four

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Heard many stories from USA that an insane amount of people have argued that this pandemic is a hoax and don't believe it's real. That's alarming.

Long Live I AM!

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Ev" , posted Thu 26 Mar 00:09post reply

Here in Saudi, they've enacted a mandatory curfew for 3 weeks. They had it from 7PM till 6AM but starting tomorrow they're increasing the period as it'll start from 3PM. On one hand, curbing people from going out is gonna help, but on the other, limiting the period to just 9 hours or so might lead to congestions at supermarkets and such. Already seeing a nearby supermarket getting more crowded than I've ever seen it before. Currently, I'm unemployed so it didn't really impact me in that aspect. The country reported 900 cases and 2 deaths so far, so I think we're right at the point where infection cases just exponentially go up.

Stay safe y'all.

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/
pretzelmotion.com
Lord SNK
424th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Ev" , posted Thu 26 Mar 00:53post reply

quote:

(And we are pretty much guaranteed to get another four years of Trump. I honestly don't see him not getting re-elected.)

Not if the virus claims him before november.

"Re(5):Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Ev" , posted Thu 26 Mar 06:17post reply

quote:

This should be a lesson to America that you don't make people that didn't put in the time by being in other government positions the leader of a noteworthy country. At least Ronald Reagan placed in time. The influence of Biff ("Back to the Future" for those that are not old enough) didn't, and I don't need another 4 years of him.

nobinobita
1908th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(6):Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Ev" , posted Fri 3 Apr 19:44post reply

quote:

This should be a lesson to America that you don't make people that didn't put in the time by being in other government positions the leader of a noteworthy country. At least Ronald Reagan placed in time. The influence of Biff ("Back to the Future" for those that are not old enough) didn't, and I don't need another 4 years of him.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm glad to hear that so many folks are at least safe at home for now. Please feel free to update how you're doing here. It's heartening to hear how folks are doing all over the world, good or bad. This is the first time in my life where I've experienced anything on such a grand global scale like this. We are all in this together.

Here are some updates from Thailand:

The good: People are finally starting to take the Pandemic seriously. We have been on lockdown as a nation for nearly two weeks now. Barring special cases, there are no more international flights and most places are closed down other than essential services. When I go out (about once a week) for supplies it's like a ghost town until you get to the packed supermarkets. Almost everyone is wearing a mask, as they should. We thankfully do not have a mask shortage. They've always been a part of the culture and there are limits everywhere on how many you can buy at once. It's also illegal to price gauge on essential items at this time, thank goodness. So far I haven't seen any panic hoarding. Some things like alcohol and hand sanitizer are almost constantly sold out, but we are good on food and toilet paper and masks.

The Bad:
I did see a few folks without masks while i was out. It was ALWAYS older people, foreigners and Thais. Old folks are so stubborn! I confronted every one that I saw. It's actually store policy at every supermarket that you can't enter without a mask, but Thai people are too nice. It's deeply ingrained in them to respect/shrink at your elders. I'm not mean about it, just very direct. "Excuse me sir? You need to be wearing a mask, it's store policy? You don't have one? Well you have to buy one or make one. This is for everyone's saftey!"

The Ugly:
Our government is INCREDIBLY corrupt and willing to kill its own citizens for profit. We don't have a mask shortage for now, but the gov keeps exporting masks to the US. Jack Ma donated millions of them to Thailand (and other countries) and our Gov took them and sold them to the US. There was a university that was offering free testing. They made hundreds of their own kits. The government stepped in, took them, and again, sold them to the USA. This kind of greed isn't just local, we don't live in closed ecosystems. The ineptitude of the US feeds into corruption worldwide. IT SUCKS.

Anyway, the silver lining in all this is that people in Thailand don't trust their government to take care of them. So they know they have to save themselves. People have stopped being so casual about this and are actually practicing self isolation pretty well these days. I'm in a very fortunate situation where i can continue working from home. I don't know what's going to happen to all the poor folks who don't have that option. Things are gonna get really bad before they get better.

I don't mean to be a downer, but I think a bit of fear is healthy right now. Don't freak out and lose hope or panic hoard. But stay informed, be careful and stay safe everyone!

www.art-eater.com

"Re(7):Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Ev" , posted Sat 4 Apr 03:23post reply

An update since my last post, I've now gone to full telecommuting. My morning commute now consists of sitting down at the kitchen table and turning on the laptop. Since my university is being set up as an emergency quarantine/triage center(!) just in case everything goes sideways I doubt I'll be back in the office anytime soon. Still, I know I'm one of the fortunate ones. There are plenty of people around me who work in restaurants or other service industries that are not so lucky.

Nowadays I'm mostly squirreled away at home and only venture out for groceries on a bi-monthly basis and the occasional walk to get some fresh air. Trouble is, everyone and their dog are using the nearby bike/walking trail. So much for social distancing. I've taken to walking in residential areas to avoid people. Then again, prowling around houses while wearing a face mask may not be the smartest thing I've ever done.

I've found it's the little things that I miss during this pandemic. Something as simple as going out for a bite to eat is a luxury I'm not going to be able to enjoy for some time. I hope a poké restaurant near me manages to survive until things smooth out since I really miss the place.

talbaineric
6309th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Ev" , posted Fri 24 Apr 09:39post reply

quote:
An update since my last post, I've now gone to full telecommuting. My morning commute now consists of sitting down at the kitchen table and turning on the laptop. Since my university is being set up as an emergency quarantine/triage center(!) just in case everything goes sideways I doubt I'll be back in the office anytime soon. Still, I know I'm one of the fortunate ones. There are plenty of people around me who work in restaurants or other service industries that are not so lucky.

Nowadays I'm mostly squirreled away at home and only venture out for groceries on a bi-monthly basis and the occasional walk to get some fresh air. Trouble is, everyone and their dog are using the nearby bike/walking trail. So much for social distancing. I've taken to walking in residential areas to avoid people. Then again, prowling around houses while wearing a face mask may not be the smartest thing I've ever done.

I've found it's the little things that I miss during this pandemic. Something as simple as going out for a bite to eat is a luxury I'm not going to be able to enjoy for some time. I hope a poké restaurant near me manages to survive until things smooth out since I really miss the place.

I, too, miss the small things like going to breweries and restaurants. But, I've learned to appreciate my loved ones even more and to let them know I care about them deeply.

I think it's safe to say we are all ready for life to resume and all these restrictions and lockdowns to lift. We can't live this way forever.

Yuki Yagami

214th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe Ev" , posted Tue 28 Apr 14:18post reply

Yeah, I have not posted in MMCafe for a while (although I'm more active in twitter and Discord as of late) since the pandemic broke.

Current location is at lockdown since there was a patient who got positive had died more than a month ago. Malls and schools are closed for a while in my location. Curfews and liquor ban are implemented here. Also, there are only 4 cases (2 of which are from neighboring provinces) in the city so far.

The island where the country's capital is situated has been in enhanced lockdown more than a month ago. Although the lockdown on some parts of the island where the virus is not that rampant will be lifted starting May. The country's capital and neighboring provinces and cities will remain in enhanced lockdown until mid-May.

I hope and pray this crisis will be over soon.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"
Professor
5754th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10):Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay Safe E" , posted Thu 30 Apr 13:46:post reply

It's been over a month since my original post and things here have changed quite a bit.

Back in mid-March, the streets here were still busy but with less tourists than usual. However things changed earlier this month when the government announced a state of emergency and asked for most businesses to shut down until May 6. Right now we're in national holidays so there's probably more people than the past week out in the streets, but it's still quiet compared to usual-- check out the Shibuya livecam if you're interested.

The state of emergency call was made because the hospitals here were about to get overloaded-- it's overcapacity already, but the government at least had the competency of trying to keep hospitals as a recovery facility rather than a final pitstop before a funeral. So it was announced a day or two ago that the state of emergency will be extended beyond the initial schedule in hopes to further lower the infection rate. (We have about 450 total deaths so far excluding the figures from Diamond Princess.)

It's being assumed that Japan is currently in its second wave of Coronavirus infection; the first wave from China was succesfully stopped, and we're in the second wave from Europe. Experts predict that a third and fourth wave will be inevidable, and it'll be a hard issue to tackle while reopening the economy.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 30 Apr 13:51]

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay " , posted Thu 30 Apr 16:52post reply

quote:
It's been over a month since my original post and things here have changed quite a bit.

Back in mid-March, the streets here were still busy but with less tourists than usual. However things changed earlier this month when the government announced a state of emergency and asked for most businesses to shut down until May 6. Right now we're in national holidays so there's probably more people than the past week out in the streets, but it's still quiet compared to usual-- check out the Shibuya livecam if you're interested.

The state of emergency call was made because the hospitals here were about to get overloaded-- it's overcapacity already, but the government at least had the competency of trying to keep hospitals as a recovery facility rather than a final pitstop before a funeral. So it was announced a day or two ago that the state of emergency will be extended beyond the initial schedule in hopes to further lower the infection rate. (We have about 450 total deaths so far excluding the figures from Diamond Princess.)

It's being assumed that Japan is currently in its second wave of Coronavirus infection; the first wave from China was succesfully stopped, and we're in the second wave from Europe. Experts predict that a third and fourth wave will be inevidable, and it'll be a hard issue to tackle while reopening the economy.

Good to hear again from you, Professor!

Yeah, one of the things which has been noted is that multiple countries which have closed their borders will likely still see new cases of coronavirus victims, but they will likely come as a result of domestic infection.... which is small comfort.

The bizarre parallel situation of China and the USA on this is quite something: it was very hard to trust any statement from the government of China, because you tended to assume they were downplaying the severity of things in order to not look so bad (the entire situation with the early doctors who reported the coronavirus is absolutely reprehensible), but on the other hand it seems like they managed to get strong buy-in from the populace. In the USA, the numbers feel more trustworthy, but there's a substantial minority of people who truly don't believe the severity of the situation to the point of staging protests about it in various state capitals.

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Pandemic Check In - Stay" , posted Fri 1 May 00:00post reply

quote:
In the USA, the numbers feel more trustworthy, but there's a substantial minority of people who truly don't believe the severity of the situation to the point of staging protests about it in various state capitals.

To be blunt, the US is increasingly becoming the land of the stupid.

I recently had a guy tell me, with all seriousness, that most of the news companies are intentionally inflating claims and driving the story because the crisis situation balloons viewership numbers, which in turn balloons ad revenue. He went on to claim that he knew the reported death numbers were fake, that he'd been told by an insider that some place that had been claimed to have 40 cases really only had 1 case, and that (because he'd gone to some quick outpatient service at who knows when) that hospitals were empty of patients. According to him, nursing home deaths in particular are being inflated, in part because those people are so old that anything would kill them, and many have been misdiagnosed. He also sometimes mixed up counts for people being tested and deaths, and then cited his own mistake as evidence that the numbers were being faked, that the media couldn't even keep their lies straight and/or were intentionally trying to confuse viewers.

We've got cities and states that have been falling all over each other to be the first to re-open.

We've got people like the Lieutenant Governor of Texas. You might know him as the politician quoted for saying "There are more important things than living" in regards to his push to re-open the state. That wasn't an out of context quote; he appears to truly believe that the shutdown is destroying America. His argument and belief is that people should be and are willing to risk death to save the country for their children.

Part of the issue (besides the US's ailing education system, and how the people in various positions of power only seem to be making the education system worse) is that the US is just so big and spread out. A lot of people live in low risk, or even potentially no risk areas. They see the stories, but the only thing they see affecting them even indirectly are the precautions.

You can point out that the US has over 61,000 reported deaths so far. But the people around me look and see that my state has only a few hundred deaths. (Roughly double the death rate for flu, but we don't shut down the country for flu.) The number looks tiny versus the size of the state. You can count the confirmed deaths in my county on a single hand. Its easy to see how people in my area just don't believe the risk is real, and there are lots of such areas across the US.

talbaineric
6316th Post

"Mental Health" , posted Fri 8 May 08:35post reply

How is everybody here doing as far as mental health goes?

Personally, my disposition has changed quite a bit. It goes between jaded and slight optimism. I find myself more annoyed with people than I have before all of this happened. I've seen quite a lot of rude people out there recently. For all the good that people are trying to do, there always seems to be more negativity to pile on top of that kindness and compassion.

"Re(1):Mental Health" , posted Tue 12 May 07:28post reply

quote:

Personally, my disposition has changed quite a bit. It goes between jaded and slight optimism. I find myself more annoyed with people than I have before all of this happened. I've seen quite a lot of rude people out there recently. For all the good that people are trying to do, there always seems to be more negativity to pile on top of that kindness and compassion.

If I lived alone I suspect I would be going a bit stir crazy but, thankfully, Mrs. Ishmael and I are making it through pretty well.

One thing I have been enjoying during my home stay is that a neighbor has been regularly feeding the local wildlife. Every day I can look out the window and see squirrels and a host of different birds enjoying a meal. It's like I have a membership to a private zoo. The only problem is that all the animals are enjoying the free buffet a bit too much and are getting really fat.

"Re(2):Mental Health" , posted Tue 12 May 08:45post reply

quote:

If I lived alone I suspect I would be going a bit stir crazy but, thankfully, Mrs. Ishmael and I are making it through pretty well.

One thing I have been enjoying during my home stay is that a neighbor has been regularly feeding the local wildlife. Every day I can look out the window and see squirrels and a host of different birds enjoying a meal. It's like I have a membership to a private zoo. The only problem is that all the animals are enjoying the free buffet a bit too much and are getting really fat.

My folks were worried about the same, so they tried not to put too much food out there.
At the family home we've been cultivating flowers, hedge-trees, fruit trees, and so on, and now that some of them have gotten good and big, they provide enough cover for birds to hide in them. The greater quantity of fruits and flowers also draws in bugs, which the birds will feed on. There are rodents that are troublemakers, and my folks have been careful to select bird seed that the raccoons would find really annoying to eat (so no big sunflower seeds or anything like that). Leaving some fruit to die on the tree is also a good thing, because it's a source of food for the animals as well as a further draw for bugs. There's really no substitute for having a healthy ecosystem! It brings in all sorts of delights, beyond just the flowers or the fruits.

However, I am not at the family home due to work, and being stuck in an apartment would definitely be maddening without the internet. Heck, it's maddening even WITH the internet!

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(1):Mental Health" , posted Tue 12 May 18:51post reply

I think the pain extrovert people pour online over not being able to meet people, go to parties and have drinks is similar to the one introvert people feel but rarely express when they were forced to meet people, go to parties or have drinks.

So, yeah, I'm among the privileged ones for whom the current situation is healthier and happier than the normal thing of going out and having to interact with people!
Also, Brits outside treat the situation with the lack of interest I have for cricket, so I'm even less inclined to go out because they seem to do everything in their power to speedrun the virus spread. I have never seen so many people cycling and running, regardless of weather.

"Re(2):Mental Health" , posted Wed 13 May 02:59post reply

quote:
I think the pain extrovert people pour online over not being able to meet people, go to parties and have drinks is similar to the one introvert people feel but rarely express when they were forced to meet people, go to parties or have drinks.

So, yeah, I'm among the privileged ones for whom the current situation is healthier and happier than the normal thing of going out and having to interact with people!
Also, Brits outside treat the situation with the lack of interest I have for cricket, so I'm even less inclined to go out because they seem to do everything in their power to speedrun the virus spread. I have never seen so many people cycling and running, regardless of weather.

I feel like my nature is a weird dichotomy of extroversion and introversion, which arguably just means I'm normal, but I definitely notice that I am much less effective and much less energetic without the company of other people. I enjoy being alone and I enjoy solitude, but I certainly have the stereotypical extrovert trait of gaining energy in social environments as opposed to social environments immediately draining me. As a result, I really don't like working from home!

For an extreme geek like me, hating working from home is probably a little weird!

Professor
5756th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Mental Health" , posted Wed 13 May 11:14:post reply

quote:

For someone that loves to take random strolls as a pasttime such as myself, mental health during this pseudo-lockdown here is coming in a form that I didn't initially anticipate. Given that it's become harder to hit out-- constantly being cautious not to cross paths with people blabbing without a face mask, most stores being closed down, and opened locations often asking for hand sanitizing at the entrance before going in (good call), it starts to get tiring when you're actually outside, and staying at home really starts to feel cozy.

Fortunately people without a face mask is an exception more than the norm right now-- maybe there's about one maskless person out of ten, at least in the commercial/shopping areas. However people seem to go loose and maskless when they're in their own neighborhoods, and to add to that, there's a lot less people in the commercial areas and they're more apt to be in their local areas because of the stay-at-home movement. So ironically, it actually seems safer to hit the bigger streets rather than the local streets of Tokyo. Which is unfortunate as I yearn of the days of taking random strolls to various locations and taking snapshots of anything interesting.

On a side note, it's very interesting here as I realized yesterday when walking through an underpath that even the homeless are wearing face masks. I can only assume that some philanthropist or NGO are giving it to them. Thumbe up.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 13 May 11:24]

talbaineric
6317th Post

"Re(2):Mental Health" , posted Thu 14 May 12:00post reply

quote:

I love hearing about that neighbor feeding the wildlife. One positive thing about this pandemic and its lockdowns is that Mother Earth has had a chance to heal and the animals have taken advantage of the lack of human beings. It's a beautiful thing.

talbaineric
6318th Post

"Re(2):Mental Health" , posted Thu 14 May 12:06post reply

quote:

Like Spoon has said, I too cross the line between extroversion and introversion. An ambivert is what I consider myself to be. I can feel I can relate to the pains of both classes of people.

"Re(2):Mental Health" , posted Thu 14 May 23:43post reply

quote:
Fortunately people without a face mask is an exception more than the norm right now-- maybe there's about one maskless person out of ten, at least in the commercial/shopping areas. However people seem to go loose and maskless when they're in their own neighborhoods, and to add to that, there's a lot less people in the commercial areas and they're more apt to be in their local areas because of the stay-at-home movement. So ironically, it actually seems safer to hit the bigger streets rather than the local streets of Tokyo. Which is unfortunate as I yearn of the days of taking random strolls to various locations and taking snapshots of anything interesting.

I'm coming across that situation as well. An enclosed space like Whole Foods feels oddly safer since everyone is wearing masks as opposed to residential streets where people want to go jogging barefaced and wheeze on everyone.

quote:
My folks were worried about the same, so they tried not to put too much food out there.
At the family home we've been cultivating flowers, hedge-trees, fruit trees, and so on, and now that some of them have gotten good and big, they provide enough cover for birds to hide in them. The greater quantity of fruits and flowers also draws in bugs, which the birds will feed on. There are rodents that are troublemakers, and my folks have been careful to select bird seed that the raccoons would find really annoying to eat (so no big sunflower seeds or anything like that). Leaving some fruit to die on the tree is also a good thing, because it's a source of food for the animals as well as a further draw for bugs. There's really no substitute for having a healthy ecosystem! It brings in all sorts of delights, beyond just the flowers or the fruits.

Contributing to a full ecosystem is a good idea and probably healthier for the animals than the high starch diets the animals around here are enjoying. The other day I saw a pigeon who had grown to be nothing more than a giant ball of meat lumber from one pile of seeds to the next in his single-minded urge to eat as much as possible. If one of the foxes in the neighborhood ever takes a detour through this area they are going to be delighted with all the easy meals to be found.

"Re(3):Brazil" , posted Wed 20 May 09:37post reply

I know Just a Person has been giving us the situation in Sao Paolo, but various big english news outlets such as BBC are finally reporting more about what is going on in Brazil. It sounds not good :(

Stay safe all you cafers in South America!

Just a Person
2207th Post

"Re(4):Brazil" , posted Wed 20 May 21:25post reply

quote:
I know Just a Person has been giving us the situation in Sao Paolo, but various big english news outlets such as BBC are finally reporting more about what is going on in Brazil. It sounds not good :(

Thanks!

Yes, while I live in São Paulo and have the opportunity to see what's happening around here, I'm also following the national news on the situation in other parts of Brazil and it's quite alarming, really. The Northern and Northeast regions are mainly affected by the lack of resources to deal with the pandemic, including the lack of medical doctors in certain parts. Meanwhile, the Southern region is having small businesspeople going to the streets to demand that the non-essential businesses are allowed to open again, showing an incredible lack of empathy with their employees. It doesn't help that the president is constantly minimizing the danger represented by the Covid-19 and saying that the quarantine (which wasn't even properly implemented throughout the country) will cause the national economy to break (as if the rest of the world hasn't stopped their activities as well) and delaying the assistential payment for independent workers and small companies (some people say he's doing it on purpose to force people to return to work).

Sadly, the coronavirus isn't the main threat we are facing here; the president and his followers may actually be causing even more harm than the virus itself. The daily increase in the number of deaths is a result of both problems.

talbaineric
6320th Post

"Re(5):Brazil" , posted Mon 25 May 04:31post reply

quote:

Thanks!

Yes, while I live in São Paulo and have the opportunity to see what's happening around here, I'm also following the national news on the situation in other parts of Brazil and it's quite alarming, really. The Northern and Northeast regions are mainly affected by the lack of resources to deal with the pandemic, including the lack of medical doctors in certain parts. Meanwhile, the Southern region is having small businesspeople going to the streets to demand that the non-essential businesses are allowed to open again, showing an incredible lack of empathy with their employees. It doesn't help that the president is constantly minimizing the danger represented by the Covid-19 and saying that the quarantine (which wasn't even properly implemented throughout the country) will cause the national economy to break (as if the rest of the world hasn't stopped their activities as well) and delaying the assistential payment for independent workers and small companies (some people say he's doing it on purpose to force people to return to work).
-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

That Bolsonaro is an awful piece of work. Especially in his concerns towards the Amazon and its native inhabitants.

I loved Brazil so much. I visited in 2008 and I have good memories of my time there. I hope the Brazilians can overcome this chaos.

Professor
5783th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Brazil" , posted Mon 25 May 20:36:post reply

I do hope everyone here and their family are doing safe. I have been keeping up with news about Brazil and it is very alarming...

Just a quick update on the status here, the Japanese government has just lifted its emergency alert for the major cities and covid hotspots, meaning the whole country will soon be put back onto economical course, although it'll be a very different course where life will be in compromise with the virus. The decision was made since the infection count has been deemed acceptable for the past week. Question is, how really safe is it...? It's hard to tell since they're just testing clearly symptomatic cases, meaning the true figures are completely unknown. One thing at least is that they can't skew the death rate, at least not heavily since the morgues need to cremate and there'd be reports if they were getting too many bodies.

I wouldn't be surprised though, if the infection count suddenly goes up in the next week; the figures we're getting right now are from two weeks ago when everyone was tucked home during national holidays. By next week, we'll be getting results from when the workaholic culture reared its head again.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 25 May 20:54]

"Re(7):Brazil" , posted Tue 26 May 00:55post reply

quote:
I do hope everyone here and their family are doing safe. I have been keeping up with news about Brazil and it is very alarming...

Just a quick update on the status here, the Japanese government has just lifted its emergency alert for the major cities and covid hotspots, meaning the whole country will soon be put back onto economical course, although it'll be a very different course where life will be in compromise with the virus. The decision was made since the infection count has been deemed acceptable for the past week. Question is, how really safe is it...? It's hard to tell since they're just testing clearly symptomatic cases, meaning the true figures are completely unknown. One thing at least is that they can't skew the death rate, at least not heavily since the morgues need to cremate and there'd be reports if they were getting too many bodies.

I wouldn't be surprised though, if the infection count suddenly goes up in the next week; the figures we're getting right now are from two weeks ago when everyone was tucked home during national holidays. By next week, we'll be getting results from when the workaholic culture reared its head again.

https://www.tripzilla.com/japan-to-pay-half-travel-expenses/110564

My coworkers mentioned this to me, and we figure at some point once we feel safe about traveling again, we'll definitely go to Japan.