user profileedit/delete message
PSN: ShikyohMukuro
XBL: IAMDC1
Wii: n/a
STM: N/A
CFN: n/a
New Red Carpet Member

"Shenmue 3 Thoughts?" , posted Mon 6 Jan 11:31post reply

Has anyone played the game yet? If so, thoughts?

Long Live I AM!

Replies:

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Shenmue 3 Thoughts?" , posted Tue 7 Jan 01:27post reply

I only played a little bit as I'm waiting on a supposed patch to drop this month that will give Shenhua her original outfit back, but I can share an interesting situation:

The game starts with Ryo and Shenhua on a trail just conversing with one another. You eventually get to control Ryo and are expected to meet up with Shenhua further down the road. I ignore this objective and spend time running around the gorgeous vista picking herbs. The game finally gets fed up with me, yanks the controls away and auto-pilots Ryo over to Shenhua. I proceed to laugh my ass off for a good minute as this happens.

It's incredibly fascinating how someone who was heralded as one of the early pioneers of the open-world genre could make a game in 2019 that would actively discourage the very thing they were praised for. It's like if Miyamoto made a new Mario game that reverted back to Donkey Kong 1 physics and punished you for even trying to be clever with your jumping.

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(2):Shenmue 3 Thoughts?" , posted Tue 7 Jan 11:54post reply

quote:
I ignore this objective and spend time running around the gorgeous vista picking herbs. The game finally gets fed up with me, yanks the controls away and auto-pilots Ryo over to Shenhua. I proceed to laugh my ass off for a good minute as this happens.
!!!!

They will pry my gachapon and my forklift out of my cold, dead hands!

My friends and I played Shenmue 1 for hours and hours and got to at least disc 3, and I remember the screwing around vividly, yet nothing about the story.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(3):Shenmue 3 Thoughts?" , posted Thu 9 Jan 03:35post reply

quote:
I ignore this objective and spend time running around the gorgeous vista picking herbs. The game finally gets fed up with me, yanks the controls away and auto-pilots Ryo over to Shenhua. I proceed to laugh my ass off for a good minute as this happens.

I still remember in the opening of Shenmue 2 you could wander around the docks until it became too late to find proper lodging and Ryo had to sleep in a flop house by the harbor. If you can't make Ryo aimlessly wander in a field until the local inn shuts down and Ryo is forced to sleep in a ditch it's just not Shenmue.

quote:
My friends and I played Shenmue 1 for hours and hours and got to at least disc 3, and I remember the screwing around vividly, yet nothing about the story.
I think that's Shenmue's contribution to gaming. I watched a friend play hours of Shenmue but I don't remember the plot at all. Instead, I remember watching Ryo drink ten cans of coffee in a row just because.