Finally got around to watching Jojo - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1162 Views )

user profileedit/delete message
Red Carpet Executive Member

"Finally got around to watching Jojo" , posted Wed 19 Sep 04:10post reply

I think the first time I ever heard of it was here.

Kind of poor internal consistency.

Star Platinum is shown to break those diamond cave teeth so why didn't he just punch down Dio's castle when the sun was still up?

Joseph even mentions burning it down....but its a stone castle...

Also whyyyyy do aaalllll of the charaaaaacterrrs talk like thiiiisss aallll the time??? Its reeaaally annoyyyinng.

Replies:
Professor
5495th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Finally got around to watching Jojo" , posted Fri 21 Sep 00:50post reply

quote:

Star Platinum is shown to break those diamond cave teeth so why didn't he just punch down Dio's castle when the sun was still up?

Also whyyyyy do aaalllll of the charaaaaacterrrs talk like thiiiisss aallll the time??? Its reeaaally annoyyyinng.

Hello Sabo10, it's been a while!

Poor internal consistency is something that the Jojo series is relatively well known for. The author Araki's strong point has always been the upbeat fast paced storyline, but consistency has always been his achilles heel that people just shrug it off as "hey, it's Araki". He's been making inconsistencies since the 80's and there's a famous quote from him, "Adults don't lie-- they just make mistakes".

Jotaro going demolition man on Dio's castle is probably not something that the author nor kids reading the manga thought of at the time. How long could've it have taken? What would the henchmen from the inside have done? It's certainly an interesting thought, of course. It's kind of like asking "why didn't they just pass a bridge to the other side in Dragon Quest 1? It's just one square away to the last boss"

The dialogues getting annoying is understandable when it gets binge-read on the monitor or paperbacks. It does more magic when it's read in the large-size weeklies.

nobinobita
1890th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Finally got around to watching Jojo" , posted Fri 21 Sep 01:34post reply

quote:

Hello Sabo10, it's been a while!

Poor internal consistency is something that the Jojo series is relatively well known for. The author Araki's strong point has always been the upbeat fast paced storyline, but consistency has always been his achilles heel that people just shrug it off as "hey, it's Araki". He's been making inconsistencies since the 80's and there's a famous quote from him, "Adults don't lie-- they just make mistakes".

Jotaro going demolition man on Dio's castle is probably not something that the author nor kids reading the manga thought of at the time. How long could've it have taken? What would the henchmen from the inside have done? It's certainly an interesting thought, of course. It's kind of like asking "why didn't they just pass a bridge to the other side in Dragon Quest 1? It's just one square away to the last boss"

The dialogues getting annoying is understandable when it gets binge-read on the monitor or paperbacks. It does more magic when it's read in the large-size weeklies.

I recall Star Platinum punching holes in the wall to let in sunlight when they intially confront Dio. I thiiiink it happened in the manga and definitely in the 90s OVA which is still the best anime adaptation that's ever been done for JoJo. It's long been one of my favs. It was only long after I'd seen it that I found out that Satoshi Kon worked on my fav parts! And it was only a few weeks ago that I discovered that Katsuhiro Otomo also worked on the OVAs!

The new TV show is fun, but I don't like it nearly as much as the comic or the ovas.

www.art-eater.com

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Finally got around to watching Jojo" , posted Fri 21 Sep 03:11post reply

The best animated adaptations of Jojo are imo:

1.) The Capcom CPS3 fighting game
2.) The Capcom PS2 Part 5 game
3.) The OP animations for part 1/2/3 in the new anime
4.) The stick figure flash animation based on 1 and 2

Internal consistency:

There's pretty much always a power that gets introduced early on that quickly and quietly gets abandoned. I think this has been true for every part since part 3. Part 5 is the one that sticks out to me the most, because the whole business of Giorno being able to reflect an attack was portrayed with a lot of very nicely drawn panels when it was introduced, and then nobody ever spoke of it again likely as Araki realized how much trouble this would cause. In fact, it was forgotten even harder than Purple Haze, who Araki made a point of writing out of the story because "it was too powerful".

Just a Person
2023th Post

"Re(4):Finally got around to watching Jojo" , posted Sun 28 Oct 11:27post reply

Speaking of JoJo, is anyone here following JoJolion? And, if so, when do you guys imagine it will conclude and how do you imagine Part 9 will be (assuming there will be a Part 9, of course)?

Last year I was sure the mystery of the Rokakaka tree and the Rock Humans wouldn't be able to continue much longer, yet here we are. And surprisingly, the story doesn't feel stale at all, with each new opponent revealing a little more about the mystery and some surprising twists (I definitely didn't expect Mitsuba to star an entire story arc after being completely ignored for so long... it gives me hope that Iwasuke may get its own arc soon).

That said, I wonder how much longer Araki is capable of keeping it going. Could it surpass Steel Ball Run as the longest part of JJBA?

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.
Just a Person
2302th Post

"Re(5):Finally got around to watching Jojo" , posted Thu 13 May 03:27post reply

This probably won't be read by anyone, but anyway, I finally got to watch all seasons of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Does it have a lot of internal inconsistencies? Yes, it does. Did that prevent me from loving it? NOT AT ALL!

Honestly, it's been years since I started watching an anime and enjoyed every single moment of it. It oozes style and creativity, and the different plots for each part actually help to keep the story fresh and always subverting expectations. Plus the way the visuals change, from Jonathan's huge, muscular build who would perfectly fit into Fist of North Star, to the stylish bishonen looks from Giorno and his teammates.

I just found it weird that the Diamond Is Unbreakable season has a very different visual style from the others. Yes, I know that Araki's art style changed throughout the decades, but the Vento Aureo season, which comes after it, looks visually closer to the first two seasons (and to Araki's art style in the manga) than the DIU season - and from the DIU manga panels I managed to find on the Internet, they look closer to the style used in the Vento Aureo anime season than the one from the DIU anime season.

But that's a minor complaint, and I actually loved Josuke and his friends. Plus Kira, who I expected to be less threatening than the villains from the other seasons, but he's actually way more dangerous than Diavolo from Vento Aureo (now that's a Big Bad who I found quite disappointing). Now I look forward to the Stone Ocean adaptation!

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.