Transforming weapons - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1139 Views )
HokutoAndy

130th Post

user profileedit/delete message
Regular Customer

"Transforming weapons" , posted Mon 26 Mar 17:43post reply

So in Monster Hunter I love using the switchaxe, just watching it transform is fun. Learning the chargeblade too. Bloodborne's trick weapons were also fun, love the threaded cane which is like Ivy's whipsword which is like the Brotherhood of the Wolf whipsword which is like the Dragon Quest Dai whipswordhelmetarmorgreatsword which probably got the whipsword idea from Panzer World Galient... anyone know of a segmented whipsword design earlier than that?

Any idea if the Chargeblade and Switchaxe are based off of older designs from other works?
Any other mechanical transformation weapons y'all think is super cool? Just want to have a big database of nifty weapons to look at.

Replies:

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Transforming weapons" , posted Tue 27 Mar 00:44post reply

I remember seeing an Ivy style whip-sword in a 1970's Hong Kong movie but those movies were cranked out with the speed of a machine gun so I don't think I'll be able to find the title of that film.

Did change weapons start up with the move away from sprites? In older games if you switched from an axe to a bazooka you usually simply flipped to a different animation instead of having any frames dedicated to transforming or replacing your weapon. Or does a game like Side Arms -where your mech constantly re-folds itself into new shapes- count as a proto transforming weapon?

As for me, my favorite is the rifle/butterfly knife from Lost Planet 2. It was ridiculous and not particularly good at either task but I loved that thing.

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Transforming weapons" , posted Tue 27 Mar 02:23post reply

quote:

Any other mechanical transformation weapons y'all think is super cool? Just want to have a big database of nifty weapons to look at.

These are actually useful!
The scissor one is basically an anime thing

What about socketed tools?
Ever since I was little I thought these were COOOOOL

Speaking of the switch-axe:
Evidently these originated in the Phillipines!

Has it occurred to you to also consider transforming vehicles?...
... even if it isn't really all that functional in one of its forms.

Lord SNK
282th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Transforming weapons" , posted Tue 27 Mar 03:04post reply

As for 2D animated whip-sword, Janne from World Heroes got one at some point after WH1, but I don't remember the exact entry in the series.