LUPIN THE THIIIIRD!!! Part 5 is Coming - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (205 Views )
Professor
5324th Post

user profileedit/delete message
MMCafe Owner

"LUPIN THE THIIIIRD!!! Part 5 is Coming" , posted Tue 16 Jan 19:54:post reply

https://natalie.mu/comic/news/265393

A new Lupin The Third TV series adequately titled "Lupin the Third Part 5" will start airing in Japan from April. It'll be directed by Yuuichiro Yano and scripted by Ichirō Ōkouchi. Character designs will be done by Hisao Yokobori who also did Part 4 (the Italian one). This time the story takes place in France.

The first trailer will be coming in 3 days!

[edit] More details are frontpaged

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 16 Jan 21:11]

Replies:

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):LUPIN THE THIIIIRD!!! Part 5 is Coming" , posted Wed 17 Jan 04:51post reply

I like that Lupin now has to state whether it's modern Lupin the 3rd or the retro late 60's/early 70's Lupin the IIIrd. Hopefully at some point we will get an 80's Lupin revival where everyone breaks out the pastels and giant shoulder pads.

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(2):LUPIN THE THIIIIRD!!! Part 5 is Coming" , posted Wed 17 Jan 13:03post reply

quote:
I like that Lupin now has to state whether it's modern Lupin the 3rd or the retro late 60's/early 70's Lupin the IIIrd. Hopefully at some point we will get an 80's Lupin revival where everyone breaks out the pastels and giant shoulder pads.

One day Lupin III Part III will get its due! Before they run out of money for good outsourcing, it's quite good-looking for the first fourteen episodes or so!

But not as good-looking as Part IV, whose director, Yano, is blessedly doing Part V, so I have high hopes.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341
CFN: n/a
Gold Customer

"Re(3):LUPIN THE THIIIIRD!!! Part 5 is Coming" , posted Wed 17 Jan 21:06post reply

quote:
One day Lupin III Part III will get its due! Before they run out of money for good outsourcing, it's quite good-looking for the first fourteen episodes or so!

But not as good-looking as Part IV, whose director, Yano, is blessedly doing Part V, so I have high hopes.

I feel like this was probably asked before but what is the recommended "watch list" for someone like me who never watched anything Lupin related to get into the series? I might get thru them all before Part 5 lands too.

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/
pretzelmotion.com

"Re(4):LUPIN THE THIIIIRD!!! Part 5 is Coming" , posted Thu 18 Jan 04:39:post reply

quote:

I feel like this was probably asked before but what is the recommended "watch list" for someone like me who never watched anything Lupin related to get into the series? I might get thru them all before Part 5 lands too.

I think you can get a really solid introduction to Lupin by watching the Hayao Miyazaki movie, followed by watching Cowboy Bebop. I can explain this in greater detail later, or Maou can deeply analyze this content and explain how right it is in the current milieu in spite of being inaccurate in the scheme of the entire oeuvre.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Thu 18 Jan 07:55]

"Re(5):LUPIN THE THIIIIRD!!! Maou is Coming" , posted Thu 18 Jan 10:07:post reply

quote:
I think you can get a really solid introduction to Lupin by watching the Hayao Miyazaki movie, followed by watching Cowboy Bebop. I can explain this in greater detail later, or Maou can deeply analyze this content and explain how right it is in the current milieu in spite of being inaccurate in the scheme of the entire oeuvre.
Fear not, Badoor, you need only look to the previous thread!

Spoon is mostly right, and Cowboy Bebop channels Lupin very consciously, but start with Lupin vs. the Clone/Mystery of Mamo. This is the truest the screen ever came to the spirit of the comics. You may or may not like it (you will like it, or else), but this will help determine if you like Lupin as such. Miyazaki's Castle of Cagliostro is one of the finest adventure films ever made, though whether or not it is the best Lupin film in light of its "mellowed out older Lupin" is up for debate. All the other characters are in perfect form.

Even shorter version: watch Clone/Mamo, Cagliostro, select Miyazaki-directed episodes of Part II (Albatross: Wings of Death and Farewell, Dear Lupin), Fuma Conspiracy, Alcatraz Connection, Episode 0: First Contact, and Part IV. But others here can tell you that there are many ways and films with which to enjoy your new Lupantic lifestyle!

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 18 Jan 10:09]

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
CFN: Gojira

"Re(6):LUPIN THE THIIIIRD!!! Maou is Coming" , posted Thu 18 Jan 10:36post reply

Yeay yea more Lupin. I don't know how they've managed to keep doing these but I'm always down for another dip into that universe.

I still need to watch the Italian Game (which flew completely under my radar a couple of years ago) to get my last taste of the Italia-hen characters before this new one starts.

"Re(7):LUPIN THE THIIIIRD!!! Maou is Coming" , posted Thu 18 Jan 10:51:post reply

quote:
I still need to watch the Italian Game (which flew completely under my radar a couple of years ago) to get my last taste of the Italia-hen characters before this new one starts.

Donít dooooo it! It splices together Part IV in such a poor way as to make the most consistently good TV series into one of the worst mid-2000s-caliber TV specials Iíve ever seen. The unrelated opening movie is great, making the tease even more brutal.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 18 Jan 10:51]

"Re(8):LUPIN THE THIIIIRD!!! Maou is Coming" , posted Thu 18 Jan 12:26post reply

quote:
Donít dooooo it! It splices together Part IV in such a poor way as to make the most consistently good TV series into one of the worst mid-2000s-caliber TV specials Iíve ever seen. The unrelated opening movie is great, making the tease even more brutal.

Now I am confusted. Is it a new story or an abbreviated retelling of part IV?

"Re(9):LUPIN THE THIIIIRD!!! Maou is Coming" , posted Thu 18 Jan 12:30post reply

quote:
Now I am confusted. Is it a new story or an abbreviated retelling of part IV?

They were confused, too! They smashed together footage of the first four episodes or so with some new footage to "add" a new villain and story. Nix wanders randomly in for the episode 3 echolocation chase, then never matters again. The new elements are a disaster!

But then, it's awfully hard to imagine how it would seem if you hadn't seen Part IV!

"Re(10):LUPIN THE THIIIIRD!!! Maou is Coming" , posted Thu 18 Jan 12:49:post reply

quote:
They were confused, too! They smashed together footage of the first four episodes or so with some new footage to "add" a new villain and story. Nix wanders randomly in for the episode 3 echolocation chase, then never matters again. The new elements are a disaster!

But then, it's awfully hard to imagine how it would seem if you hadn't seen Part IV!

Weiiiird... so it's a bunch of footage spliced together to make a completely different plot, like Kung Pow? Haha, this is probably making it more fascinating to me than it really should be.

I'll keep your warning in mind but I may just watch it anyway "for the lulz," as the kids say.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Thu 18 Jan 12:53]

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(6):LUPIN THE THIIIIRD!!! Maou is Coming" , posted Fri 19 Jan 01:22post reply

quote:
Even shorter version: watch Clone/Mamo, Cagliostro, select Miyazaki-directed episodes of Part II (Albatross: Wings of Death and Farewell, Dear Lupin), Fuma Conspiracy, Alcatraz Connection, Episode 0: First Contact, and Part IV. But others here can tell you that there are many ways and films with which to enjoy your new Lupantic lifestyle!

That's a good listing, although I'm surprised you didn't sneak Dead or Alive onto the recommendation list. Then again, your list is already a good dozen hours worth of Lupin so that should be more than enough for a normal person.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Twelve hours is nowhere near enough.

End of Spoiler

"Re(7):LUPIN THE THIIIIRD!!! Maou is Coming" , posted Fri 19 Jan 02:51post reply

Oh god youíre right! Dead or Alive is fantastic. At least I had it on my list in the other thread. As penance Iíll rewatch it soon.

PSN: Buttermonster
XBL: Prepaidpenguin
Wii: WiiU:Buttermonster
CFN: n/a

"Re(8):LUPIN THE THIIIIRD!!! Maou is Coming" , posted Sat 20 Jan 06:42post reply

I watched Cagliostro recently and it is still excellent. I will use the suggestions here to watch some stuff.

I always liked Zenigata. He looks like a goofball but he is competent and a good person. The problem is that he has to face terrible monsters