SRK forums shutting down - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1538 Views )

user profileedit/delete message
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"SRK forums shutting dow-nevermind" , posted Tue 9 Jan 09:08:post reply

End of an era

Cannons relented, forums are staying. Their inboxes must have been flooded with hate mail.

[this message was edited by Freeter on Fri 12 Jan 08:47]

Replies:

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Gojira

"Re(1):SRK forums shutting down" , posted Tue 9 Jan 18:25post reply

quote:
End of an era

Server costs cited as the main reason, no word on whether they'll crowdfund yet.

We did it we outlasted them!

Wait...

what if they come here

Professor
5305th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):SRK forums shutting down" , posted Tue 9 Jan 19:12post reply

quote:
End of an era

Server costs cited as the main reason, no word on whether they'll crowdfund yet.

Wait...

what if they come here

Wow. That certainly marks the end of an era.

MMCafe as a site is older than Shoryuken, but given the size of their forum userbase, I wouldnt've imagined that our BBS would've outlasted them. That is so... surreal.

However MMCafe isn't a competitive/e-sports site, so I seriously doubt that we'll receive any of their userbase.

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341
CFN: n/a
Gold Customer

"Re(3):SRK forums shutting down" , posted Tue 9 Jan 20:23:post reply

quote:
End of an era

Wait...

what if they come here

Wow. That certainly marks the end of an era.

MMCafe as a site is older than Shoryuken, but given the size of their forum userbase, I wouldnt've imagined that our BBS would've outlasted them. That is so... surreal.

However MMCafe isn't a competitive/e-sports site, so I seriously doubt that we'll receive any of their userbase.

It seems the thing people are lamenting the most about the shutter of SRK's forums are the tech threads and some of the regional stories (and stuff like that infamous SF The Movie The Game behind the scenes thread). Fighting game tech and guides seem to have moved on to discord, while the more cultural aspects moved to twitter and facebook, along with every other cultural aspect of society, for better or worse. I hope someone does archive it successfully.

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/
pretzelmotion.com

[this message was edited by Badoor on Tue 9 Jan 20:37]

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(4):SRK forums shutting down" , posted Tue 9 Jan 21:32post reply

I feel bad. It's obvious the MMC, with its superior knowledge and accessibility, killed SRK. It's so hard to be the best sometimes...

Real talk though, I don't know what's worse between SRK dying and Eventhubs staying strong despite being the Murdoch Press of fighting game websites.

Professor
5307th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):SRK forums shutting down" , posted Tue 9 Jan 23:42:post reply

quote:
Real talk though, I don't know what's worse between SRK dying and Eventhubs staying strong despite being the Murdoch Press of fighting game websites.

And I was just about writing on twitter that MMCafe is the Twinkie of fighting game websites-- two decades old, hasn't spoiled at all

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 10 Jan 00:03]

neo0r0chiaku
371th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: dc202styles
CFN: n/a
Silver Customer

"Re(5):SRK forums shutting down" , posted Wed 10 Jan 01:10post reply

quote:
I feel bad. It's obvious the MMC, with its superior knowledge and accessibility, killed SRK. It's so hard to be the best sometimes...

If anyone can relate to my experience, I started viewing SRK forums during the build to KOF XIV. I also looked at other threads. But oh boy, did I see so much fighting back and forth and foul language, I was amazed how people can deal with reading those comments everyday. For that reason, I stop going to the forums after KOF XIV was released. They were pretty crazy in there.

Long Live I AM!

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(6):SRK forums shutting down" , posted Wed 10 Jan 02:45post reply

quote:
If anyone can relate to my experience, I started viewing SRK forums during the build to KOF XIV. I also looked at other threads. But oh boy, did I see so much fighting back and forth and foul language, I was amazed how people can deal with reading those comments everyday. For that reason, I stop going to the forums after KOF XIV was released. They were pretty crazy in there.

To think, by the time KoF XIV came out that was the cleaned-up, polite version of the forums! While there was information to be gleaned from the posts I never joined SRK because the whole thing came across as too uncouth for my delicate sensibilities. Still, it's a shame to see such a long standing resource sputter out so unceremoniously.

Regular Customer

"Re(7):SRK forums shutting down" , posted Thu 11 Jan 13:54post reply

I met some of my closest friends on regional matchmaking but I met some of the worst people there also. I'm happy with the time I had but I wouldn't say that I'm sad to see it go. It really became a cesspool of sorts in the last 4-5 years. Everyone migrated to fb groups and now discord.

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(1):SRK forums shutting dow-nevermind" , posted Mon 15 Jan 08:22post reply

quote:
End of an era

Cannons relented, forums are staying. Their inboxes must have been flooded with hate mail.

The twist is that half the forums will be DLC.

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(2):SRK forums shutting dow-nevermind" , posted Mon 15 Jan 08:57post reply

quote:
The twist is that half the forums will be DLC.

Godhand's Gene sez: "I LOVE IT."

It would have been an interesting social experiment to see if any exiles had wandered into our superior and outstanding and weird fighting game discussions, though we probably would have just sank under the weight of all the petty squabbling, and JJJ wouldn't have been here regularly enough to defend us.

Time over!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...