The Random Art thread fall 2017 edition - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1923 Views )
Professor
5251th Post

user profileedit/delete message
MMCafe Owner

"The Random Art thread fall 2017 edition" , posted Sat 4 Nov 03:33:post reply

Inktober has been inspiring that this thread was destined to be born.

To start off, here's what the fanservice-heady To LOVE-ru ends up looking like when you get Jojo's Araki, Ranma 1/2's Rumiko Takahashi, and Dragonball's Akira Toriyama amongst other artists to do a tribute book...
beware, you have been warned.

http://yusaani.com/l-ta/t-to/toloveru/2017/11/01/446713/

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 4 Nov 03:35]

Replies:

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):The Random Art thread fall 2017 edition" , posted Sat 4 Nov 09:24post reply

quote:
Inktober has been inspiring that this thread was destined to be born.

To start off, here's what the fanservice-heady To LOVE-ru ends up looking like when you get Jojo's Araki, Ranma 1/2's Rumiko Takahashi, and Dragonball's Akira Toriyama amongst other artists to do a tribute book...
beware, you have been warned.

http://yusaani.com/l-ta/t-to/toloveru/2017/11/01/446713/

Wait a second, what is the perception of To Love-Ru in Japan? I always assumed it was off in its own creepy little corner but it managed to pull in several mainstream artists for that tribute collection.

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(1):The Random Art thread fall 2017 edition" , posted Sat 4 Nov 14:33post reply

In my jaundiced view, Takahashi's take has the tragic effect of underlining how inferior the original product is! I too am interested in how such giants as her and Toriyama could be bothered to draw this series.

It's also clear that the Hover people should have gotten Juan to be the artist for their Jet Set tribute game.

BUT

Where are the Madman's latest sketches, meanwhile~~~~?

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...
Professor
5253th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):The Random Art thread fall 2017 edition" , posted Sun 5 Nov 18:38:post reply

quote:
Wait a second, what is the perception of To Love-Ru in Japan? I always assumed it was off in its own creepy little corner but it managed to pull in several mainstream artists for that tribute collection.
In my jaundiced view, Takahashi's take has the tragic effect of underlining how inferior the original product is! I too am interested in how such giants as her and Toriyama could be bothered to draw this series.

They're from a To Love-Ru 10th anniversary tribute book-- to explain the manga's status, it's mid-tier title by a major publisher, Shueisha. They print Shonen Jump magazine, which is why so many big artists were able to be pulled in.

I don't know why Takahashi is in there since most of her mangas ran on another publisher! But considering Takahashi wasn't an artist that pulled back on drawing nipples back in the old days per se, she probably had no hesitation to jump in and contribute.

What I find interesting though, is that Yabuki (the artist) was a normal weekly Jump artist in the old days and he had a hit series named Black Cat that lasted for a few years. Then he had this To LOVE-ru manga on a monthly magazine, and I think he started going fanservice-heavy on it after his wife had an affair which ended up with a divorce where he was left to take care of his daughter, meaning he needed to do whatever he could to have a stable income.

Since then, he's made a name for himself and even has an art posing figure from Bandai, which ironically functions better than typical posing figures since it looks more human than mannequin.

quote:

There seems to be some misunderstanding that I've been stacking up on Winnie the Poo art references.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 6 Nov 01:58]

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(3):The Random Art thread fall 2017 edition" , posted Mon 6 Nov 02:05post reply

quote:
But considering Takahashi wasn't an artist that pulled back on drawing nipples back in the old days per se, she probably had no hesitation to jump in and contribute.
Actually, this makes the tragic contrast even more marked: Takahashi's work is uniformly sexy, funny, and positive, as opposed to feeling trashy or exploitative. The gap is like Mozart doing a cover of AKB.
quote:

There seems to be some misunderstanding that I've been stacking up on Winnie the Poo art references.
Oh, ah. Well. Take comfort in knowing that only Iggy and I have access to that information on your ecclectic collections through our recent chatlogs, as well as the entire internet now, I guess. One day I will see your drawings!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(4):The Random Art thread fall 2017 edition" , posted Mon 6 Nov 08:38post reply

There's something perversely noble about the idea that in order to provide for his family Yabuki put aside his desire to make other types of manga and instead spent the past decade putting intense effort into drawing panties.

Professor
5254th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):The Random Art thread fall 2017 edition" , posted Mon 6 Nov 20:40:post reply

quote:
There's something perversely noble about the idea that in order to provide for his family Yabuki put aside his desire to make other types of manga and instead spent the past decade putting intense effort into drawing panties.

I recall that he was quite a cunning artist who'd take advantage of the system. Back when he was drawing Black Cat for the Weekly Jump, he knew that editorial was measuring the popularity of their various manga series through only feedbacks sent on their questionnaire postcards. So what he did, he made visits around local schools in his area and drew gift arts for the students in return for their support (read: questionnaire votes). Of course editorial soon figured it out. I don't really know what happened after then... Google nowadays is becoming really useless when trying to find old info.

All in all though he doesn't get much hatred nowadays because people learned about his situation. "I'm moving out to a new place together with my most valuable treasure" was his comment back then. His readers enjoys his fanservice-heavy stuff and he makes a stable living, so it's a win-win situation in that sense.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 6 Nov 21:40]

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(6):The Random Art thread fall 2017 edition" , posted Sat 11 Nov 20:14post reply

Nobi-signal!
https://imgur.com/gallery/tFxyX
Some interesting and richly illustrated tips and tricks about making good-looking pixel art.

I guess the goal of all art forms is that to the untrained eye, all you do seem effortless and easy, while in reality you agonized over the most minute details of the smallest cloud of dust.

Professor
5256th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):The Random Art thread fall 2017 edition" , posted Sun 12 Nov 15:23:post reply

quote:
Nobi-signal!
https://imgur.com/gallery/tFxyX
Some interesting and richly illustrated tips and tricks about making good-looking pixel art.

I guess the goal of all art forms is that to the untrained eye, all you do seem effortless and easy, while in reality you agonized over the most minute details of the smallest cloud of dust.

Nice! There's plenty of tutorials for Pixel art but not much for pixel animation-- thanks for the link.

I wonder what the de-facto standard pixel tool is now. It used to be EDGE2.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 12 Nov 15:46]

PSN: Buttermonster
XBL: Prepaidpenguin
Wii: WiiU:Buttermonster
CFN: n/a

"Re(2):The Random Art thread fall 2017 edition" , posted Tue 14 Nov 02:27:post reply

Thank you Professor! Getting the 30 drawings wasn't bad. Will post stuff more often.

quote:

It's also clear that the Hover people should have gotten Juan to be the artist for their Jet Set tribute game.

I wish! At least I somehow managed to sneak in this FAT DOG in the current version of jsr

[this message was edited by jUAN on Tue 14 Nov 02:29]