Orochinagi.com closes operations - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1793 Views )

user profileedit/delete message
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Orochinagi.com closes operations" , posted Mon 3 Apr 08:46post reply

Some of the site will still remain, but it will no longer be actively updated.

It is true that social media avenues allow for much faster distribution of news or announcements from companies, and the news aggregator websites sometimes literally devour others.

I'm pretty happy that this site has stayed up for so many years, and that I've made such good friends from it!

I also personally believe that threaded conversation is still a useful mode of communication that is not well-captured by the hot new IRC replacements like Slack and Discord. I think we long ago realized the problem of stream (of consciousness) style conversation with the advent of the two random threads, because too much cross-cutting conversation results in the conversation as a whole becoming too noisy in terms of information, and too hectic in terms of conversational flow.

Replies:
nobinobita
1791th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Orochinagi.com closes operations" , posted Mon 3 Apr 13:18post reply

quote:

It is true that social media avenues allow for much faster distribution of news or announcements from companies, and the news aggregator websites sometimes literally devour others.

I'm pretty happy that this site has stayed up for so many years, and that I've made such good friends from it!

I also personally believe that threaded conversation is still a useful mode of communication that is not well-captured by the hot new IRC replacements like Slack and Discord. I think we long ago realized the problem of stream (of consciousness) style conversation with the advent of the two random threads, because too much cross-cutting conversation results in the conversation as a whole becoming too noisy in terms of information, and too hectic in terms of conversational flow.

Sad to see another long running gaming website one bite the dust.

There's certainly a lot to be said for thinking things through BEFORE you say something! Especially before you etch it in digital stone in perpetuity on the internet.

www.art-eater.com
nobinobita
1792th Post

"Re(1):Orochinagi.com closes operations" , posted Mon 3 Apr 13:18post reply

quote:

Sad to see another long running gaming website one bite the dust.

There's certainly a lot to be said for thinking things through BEFORE you say something! Especially before you etch it in digital stone in perpetuity on the internet.

www.art-eater.com
Professor
5108th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Orochinagi.com closes operations" , posted Mon 3 Apr 23:13post reply

Orochinagi's Gunsmith is the devil in disguise when it comes to farewells as he purposely made it on April fools to mess with everyone's head; it is for real or is it a joke?

Simultaneously, KOFKoucha, which is sort of like Japan's counterpart to Orochinagi when it comes to news, also closed down on April 1. So it's a double whammy for the KOF community.

MMCafe's position is an online cafe for conversations and random funness thanks to everyone! No worries of it going away any time soon.

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(1):Orochinagi.com closes operations" , posted Tue 4 Apr 01:15post reply

What a shame.

quote:

There's something to be said for taking your time in composing a message that something like Slack simply does not afford. If we are going to discuss games we should do it like proper gentlemen!

Also, there is the question of preservation. Massive sites of quick social media are a poor choice for saving information. Whether it is a discussion about the mechanics of a game or seeing how player impressions change over time, there is value in not only discussing games but collecting and storing that discussion.

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(2):Orochinagi.com closes operations" , posted Wed 5 Apr 02:25post reply

quote:
No worries of it going away any time soon.

Let it be the occasion to thank the Prof for taking the time to keep the Café open at all time for us old curmudgeons. I'm too old to move to a new place!

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Orochinagi.com closes operations" , posted Wed 5 Apr 05:32post reply

quote:
No worries of it going away any time soon.
Let it be the occasion to thank the Prof for taking the time to keep the Café open at all time for us old curmudgeons. I'm too old to move to a new place!

Thanks Professorfor your hardwork . I hope the cafe becomes the oldest functioning gaming webpage/bbs and we will be able to post here in the future, right after we shout "Get off my lawn" to random passerby outside the nursing home.

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(2):Nobi closes operations" , posted Wed 5 Apr 08:05:post reply

quote:
Also, there is the question of preservation. Massive sites of quick social media are a poor choice for saving information.

So true. On the infrequent occasions when I look at my personal MMC private message device Twitter and observe people posting their snappy jokes or clever observations, I shake my head at the colossal creative waste of their throwing their work into an abyss that functionally leaves no trace. (PS HEY NOBI don't forget to compile stuff from Twitter to Art Easter)

What a shame about Orochinagi! As an outsider there, I can't say I understand the rationale of abandoning the forums etc. just because news won't be updated, but maybe that's because we got by fine with the latter here for a long time before the MMCafe front page's glorious redesign.

The only positive is that Professor is now the undisputed King of Internet Fighters! MMC is oldest and everyone must listen to us. I'm not waiting to get old to follow through on Oguz's suggestion that the kids get off my (non-existent) lawn!

Thanks as always for our virtual Cafe, Professor!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 5 Apr 09:40]

chazumaru
1851th Post

"Re(3):The GIA closes operations" , posted Wed 5 Apr 15:56post reply

I must admit I had not thought about Orochinagi.com in a long time but it's always sad to hear this kind of old familiar face go away, especially when the site survived the darkest age of SNK and closes down when right as the company and their key IP seem back on track. I hope more than anything that their contents (news, forums, etc) have been archived properly.

The April Fool closure is a nice callback to when The GIA surprisingly closed down on April 1st... 2002!? FIFTEEN YEARS AGO

Même Narumi est épatée !

PSN: IkariLoona
CFN: n/a

"Re(1):Orochinagi.com closes operations" , posted Wed 5 Apr 19:02post reply

Sad news - I fear for the fate of information translated in threads like this and this (well, this one I think I transcribed elsewhere since its size made it simple enough).

I haven't always agreed on how Gunsmith ran the site (mostly how any given news post was about at least 3 different things, making them annoying to link to since each lacked focus), by I have immense respect for him for holding the fort for all these years... I hope the date of the announcement ultimately becomes a factor - heck, the Cafe itself had huge breaks in its posting of news over the years and it's still around. Gun has earned his rest, but I hope at some point he'll feel more reinvigorated to go back to it, or finds someone to pass the torch to.

...!!
Professor
5111th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Orochinagi.com closes operations" , posted Wed 5 Apr 20:00post reply

quote:
Sad news - I fear for the fate of information translated in threads like this and this (well, this one I think I transcribed elsewhere since its size made it simple enough).

I haven't always agreed on how Gunsmith ran the site (mostly how any given news post was about at least 3 different things, making them annoying to link to since each lacked focus), by I have immense respect for him for holding the fort for all these years... I hope the date of the announcement ultimately becomes a factor - heck, the Cafe itself had huge breaks in its posting of news over the years and it's still around. Gun has earned his rest, but I hope at some point he'll feel more reinvigorated to go back to it, or finds someone to pass the torch to.

As an admin I can sort of understand why Gunman threw in a whole bunch of news into a single article-- it's actually pretty time consuming to create posts for individual news, especially since you need to prep a headline image for each one. And when that starts accumulating to like 3-4 news a day, it becomes quite different from just hitting the RT button on twitter or writing a line and throwing an URL on reddit.

Because of the same reason, I think that after its 20th anniv, MMCafe will focus more on original content rather than to follow up on current events (excluding things that other sites probably can't report too well on due to language barrier).

KensouADV

32th Post

PSN: Mike_ADV
STM: tamakimike
Rare Customer

"Re(3):Orochinagi.com closes operations" , posted Thu 6 Apr 03:58:post reply

quote:

As an admin I can sort of understand why Gunman threw in a whole bunch of news into a single article-- it's actually pretty time consuming to create posts for individual news, especially since you need to prep a headline image for each one. And when that starts accumulating to like 3-4 news a day, it becomes quite different from just hitting the RT button on twitter or writing a line and throwing an URL on reddit.

Because of the same reason, I think that after its 20th anniv, MMCafe will foc

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

That's reassuring, thanks Professor. I'm always eager to know about that kind of trivia, interviews and other stuff but not enough to actually learn about.

It's sad to know about Orochinagi even if I didn't agree with Gunsmith's opinions on certain stuff. But I kind of miss Cyberfanatix more in a nostalgic way. Man the feeling of watching those CMVs for the first time, good times.
If the Yuki Yagami that posts here is the same guy, a huge thanks to you and your team.

In Brazil many just like to hang out on facebook groups or follow youtubbers but it's not the same.

[this message was edited by KensouADV on Thu 6 Apr 04:01]

Yuki Yagami

27th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):Orochinagi.com closes operations" , posted Thu 6 Apr 04:45:post reply

quote:

It's sad to know about Orochinagi even if I didn't agree with Gunsmith's opinions on certain stuff. But I kind of miss Cyberfanatix more in a nostalgic way. Man the feeling of watching those CMVs for the first time, good times.
If the Yuki Yagami that posts here is the same guy, a huge thanks to you and your team.

In Brazil many just like to hang out on facebook groups or follow youtubbers but it's not the same.

I am one and the same Yuki Yagami from Cyberfanatix, CX is reforming. Yeah, our webhosting has been unstable for 8 years. People come and go, and we're still around. We even survived the Pachinko period of Imoya (a.k.a. SNK's 2nd Dark Period after the Universal Group/Aruze buyout and eventual bankruptcy). For now, we're sort of down (just dormant, we're rebuilding from scratch just now), but not yet out (FB Page is still open). I hope this time, the foundations of a new CX is more solid and stable.

Also, thanks for the compliment in behalf of our team.

As for ON ceasing operations. It's kinda sad, I often hang out there. Has been my 3rd/2nd home after CX and the former S-C.com. I even hanged out on KOFOnline (another defunct KOF fansite) and SNK-Capcom.com (before it crashed in 2010). Pouring one out for Orochinagi and its contributions to the community.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

[this message was edited by Yuki Yagami on Thu 6 Apr 04:54]

"Re(5):Orochinagi.com closes operations" , posted Thu 6 Apr 06:12post reply

quote:

I am one and the same Yuki Yagami from Cyberfanatix, CX is reforming. Yeah, our webhosting has been unstable for 8 years. People come and go, and we're still around. We even survived the Pachinko period of Imoya (a.k.a. SNK's 2nd Dark Period after the Universal Group/Aruze buyout and eventual bankruptcy). For now, we're sort of down (just dormant, we're rebuilding from scratch just now), but not yet out (FB Page is still open). I hope this time, the foundations of a new CX is more solid and stable.

As for ON ceasing operations. It's kinda sad, I often hang out there. Has been my 3rd/2nd home after CX and the former S-C.com. I even hanged out on KOFOnline (another defunct KOF fansite) and SNK-Capcom.com (before it crashed in 2010). Pouring one out for Orochinagi and its contributions to the community.

Good to hear CX is still around.

Ahh sweet kofonline. It was one of the best KoF info source. It was a shame. I wonder what the runners are doing right now. Hec, I wonder if they are still playing KoF?

Snk-Capcom com was also fun place. It was around same time I discover mmcafe and neo-geo.com.
Was happy to see dreamcancel popping up but never posted there. I hope those guys are doing well.

neo0r0chiaku
304th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: dc202styles
Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Orochinagi.com closes operations" , posted Fri 7 Apr 00:05post reply

quote:

Was KOFonline the same website that had a section of animated GIFs with KOF characters doing insane supers using effects from other Neo-Geo games? I also remember they uploaded the king of fighters graphic book series in english. They also had all the KOF tracks that were hard to find at the time (in the years 99/00-ish?).

Many memories from those other sites. I remember there was a Neo-Geo fansite that had an email group used to communicate all SNK Neo-Geo news and resources. Sounds weird at first but it was pretty cool at the time.

Long Live I AM!
Yuki Yagami

27th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(6):Orochinagi.com closes operations" , posted Fri 7 Apr 14:10post reply

quote:

Was KOFonline the same website that had a section of animated GIFs with KOF characters doing insane supers using effects from other Neo-Geo games? I also remember they uploaded the king of fighters graphic book series in english. They also had all the KOF tracks that were hard to find at the time (in the years 99/00-ish?).

Many memories from those other sites. I remember there was a Neo-Geo fansite that had an email group used to communicate all SNK Neo-Geo news and resources. Sounds weird at first but it was pretty cool at the time.

AFAIR, other than a collection of known KOF information, KOFOnline also has a huge collection of animated GIFs, wallpapers, non-CMV videos, flash animations and even PowerPoint presentations.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"
Micky Kusanagi
654th Post

PSN: MickyKusanagi
CFN: MickyKusanagi
Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(7):Orochinagi.com closes operations" , posted Mon 17 Apr 00:46post reply

I only started checking out ON daily and reading every new article on release when the KOF14 craze started with the infamous September '15 teaser, but I can easily see there's way more to the site's history than that, so its ceasing of operations definitely saddened me. Props to Gunsmith for his great work.

Sometimes I complained about multi-topic articles in my heart as well, because it's not always easy to keep focused on a long piece of text when you got other things to do and other thoughts, but thank you Prof for shedding some light on the rationale behind that publishing style.

Last but not least, being the Cafe fan I am, it's just natural that I join the praise from fellow patrons. Prof, I'll never get tired saying I love this community and your hardwork in keeping it alive and kicking for such a long time and, best of all, in such a good shape. It's sad that it took me a whopping 16 years to start being an active member -I first found it by chance in the summer of 2000 if I remember well-, but oh well, better late than never. Keep it up!!

Ore no...kachi da!!