1961th Post

user profileedit/delete message
PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: n/a
Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Random Mobile: Mario Run and Exodus' Gunhouse" , posted Tue 20 Dec 01:58post reply

The big game that came out on iOS last week was Super Mario Run. I only have an iPad 2 that is a few years old, but it runs okay. It has some hiccups here and sound doesn't start right away sometimes, but once you get a level loaded you can restart as much as you want and it will play good enough.

I haven't bought the full game yet as I will wait for the android version since my iPad doesn't have a 4G plan and you have to be always online to play the game. It is kinda sad to see people complaining to get a full game experience without having to hassle with microtransactions to get boosts and the like. $10 seems like a fair price for what is a mini-New Super Mario Bros experience considering those games come out on the 3DS for $40.

Although running is automatic, the pleasure of getting a good timed jump is still there.

It appears a lot of the replay value is collecting special colored coins placed in specific parts of the level. It starts with 5 Pink coins then that unlocks 5 Purple Coins and finally 5 Black coins. The placement of the coins get progressively more difficult to obtain and some are hidden in regular blocks you have to hit.

You are given 2 Yoshi's Island style bubbles for the times you are hit by enemy(usually jumping from underneath them) or if you wall into a pit. You can manually activate the bubble if you want to go back a bit in the stage to try and collect a coin as well.

It is a shame they don't give you up to world 1-4 for free to get an idea how boss fights are handled though.

Although it has been a couple of years I can still say I do not have much love for the New Super Mario Bros aesthetic. It doesn't feel as "sterile" as before, but that level clear music is so mundane. It is especially jarring considering they still use the old-school game over music as well.

Another mobile game I tried out was Gunhouse, made by our old friend Exodus/Brandon and art by Juan.

I have been waiting for this to come out on android for years.

It is a tower/lane defense game with slider mechanics. Match the colored blocks and if you slide them to the left of the house you get a gun and you slide it to the right you get a special that can fill up the screen. You can make the guns/specials more powerful by getting a bonus match with what is listed at the top of the screen or just doubling/tripling up on whatever you have loaded already.

It is a bit tricky to get a handle of how to best slide the blocks around at first since there is also a timer for each turn. But I think I had a handle on it by the Ninth wave of enemies.

It's $2.99 with no additional microtranactions and is a nice game that makes you think.

I am not sure if this is a sign of me playing it too much, but I feel the game eats battery more than other games I play though.

Now I have $7 left over from the $10 Play store gift card I used to buy Gunhouse. Anyone else play anything on mobile recently?

Replies:

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"JUAN and Exodus' Gunhouse" , posted Tue 20 Dec 11:44:post reply

GUNHOUSE!!!! At first I saw it was finally available for iphone and not just PlayStation Vita and X68000 Sharp or something and thus I could pay tribute to my lord and master Juan, and I was like

But then I saw Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later and I was like

But then I realized that some poor sucker kind soul would surely love to give me a phone newer than a 4S because I can't be bothered and I was like

Please forward all iphones to: Maou, c/o Maou's Castle, 600AD

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 20 Dec 12:03]

"Re(1):JUAN and Exodus' Gunhouse" , posted Sun 17 Sep 19:20post reply

There's a new big update for iOS out now - and an Android one coming soon! We fixed a bunch of stuff, and it should also not eat your battery so badly :P

Alsoooo we're gonna bring it to PS4 and vita. and other stuff

"Re(2):JUAN and Exodus' Gunhouse" , posted Mon 18 Sep 02:28post reply

AT LAST

I can play a game where I can run around inside of Juan's art!

Observations:

-I may be entirely too stupid to play Gunhouse
-I like the Penguin Gun best
-those are some grooves on level 2 night
-the ice cream boss is pretty brutal

"Re(3):JUAN and Exodus' Gunhouse" , posted Mon 18 Sep 08:07post reply

quote:
AT LAST

I can play a game where I can run around inside of Juan's art!

Observations:

-I may be entirely too stupid to play Gunhouse
-I like the Penguin Gun best
-those are some grooves on level 2 night
-the ice cream boss is pretty brutal

the main problem is our tutorial doesn't teach you how to make big blocks - we know how to teach this, but the game isn't set up to do it, so it'd require a lot of work. we're thinking of maybe including a video. anyway if you're on iOS, there's a somewhat improved tutorial, but it hasn't hit android yet.

"Re(4):JUAN and Exodus' Gunhouse" , posted Mon 18 Sep 09:04post reply

I enjoy it! I felt like a champion when I got to day four. I wish Tim would fix Zigguarat. If we add Karasu's Smooth Operator and a few others people are too modest to mention, we could have a nice thread of (quite good!) games made by IC/MMC-affiliated people!

ALSO: welcome back from your...exodus

Professor
5213th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):JUAN and Exodus' Gunhouse" , posted Mon 18 Sep 09:47post reply

quote:
and other stuff

I assume that either hints to Switch or Super Famicom Mini!

"Re(3):JUAN and Exodus' Gunhouse" , posted Mon 18 Sep 19:22:post reply

quote:
and other stuff

I assume that either hints to Switch or Super Famicom Mini!

It's the PC Engine of course!!! (in seriousness, we're doing a physical Limited run release)

and Maou, I'm glad it's working for you! our lovely manual helps people get the puzzle system a lot better, but... we haven't released it yet...

also it's an endless game, so if you can believe it there's a guy who got to day 90. he got stuck there, and inspired us to change the day 10 boss difficulty a bit (every day 10 boss is the same)

Also the real challenge is... day 6 I think? day 6? the professor hoot boss :3

[this message was edited by exodus on Mon 18 Sep 19:23]

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(4):JUAN and Exodus' Gunhouse" , posted Mon 18 Sep 19:43post reply

I'm really looking forward to a more in-depth tutorial/manual, because I'm hilariously bad at this game. I think I saw day 4 once?

"Re(5):JUAN and Exodus' Gunhouse" , posted Thu 21 Sep 12:49post reply

I freely admit the game opened up for me at the precise point when I realized it was possible to move not just three blocks at a time, but one or two as well.

ALSO

those penguin pirates are quite dastardly

PSN: Buttermonster
XBL: Prepaidpenguin
Wii: WiiU:Buttermonster
CFN: n/a

"Re(5):JUAN and Exodus' Gunhouse" , posted Wed 27 Sep 23:43post reply

quote:
I'm really looking forward to a more in-depth tutorial/manual, because I'm hilariously bad at this game. I think I saw day 4 once?

I can show you how to play when the ps4 version is out. I cant stream on my current computer because it is an etch a sketch potato.

Got stuck on day 50 on android. Like Maou said penguin gun is pretty good for single and aoe. My go to loadout is penguin, flame or dragon, and beach ball gun.

"Re(6):JUAN and Exodus' Gunhouse" , posted Thu 28 Sep 08:06:post reply

I was pretty proud when I "beat" the game and continued on to day 21 or so. Obviously, the Penguin Gun is best, but I like the Dragon Gun both for regular and specials a LOT. I haven't seen how the Flame Gun is better but I AM WILLING TO LEARN. I don't really like any of the purple or green guns, which puts me in a bind since I can't have the Penguin Gun and the defense Fork Gun at the same time.

Edit: Time to get SERIOUS on avatars for the Gunhouse thread.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 28 Sep 12:45]

"Re(7):JUAN and Exodus' Gunhouse" , posted Tue 3 Oct 05:33post reply

quote:
I was pretty proud when I "beat" the game and continued on to day 21 or so. Obviously, the Penguin Gun is best, but I like the Dragon Gun both for regular and specials a LOT. I haven't seen how the Flame Gun is better but I AM WILLING TO LEARN. I don't really like any of the purple or green guns, which puts me in a bind since I can't have the Penguin Gun and the defense Fork Gun at the same time.

Edit: Time to get SERIOUS on avatars for the Gunhouse thread.

whoa, nice avatar!!

So flame is good because it does constant damage over time, and it's also a bit faster, so for bosses it winds up working out nicely.

The skull special, when you build it up, can blanket an entire screen of enemies and defeat them, which is pretty good! beach ball also does damage over time, though is slower, which can be useful on ground enemies.

"Re(8):JUAN and Exodus' Gunhouse" , posted Wed 4 Oct 13:13:post reply

quote:

whoa, nice avatar!!

So flame is good because it does constant damage over time, and it's also a bit faster, so for bosses it winds up working out nicely.

The skull special, when you build it up, can blanket an entire screen of enemies and defeat them, which is pretty good! beach ball also does damage over time, though is slower, which can be useful on ground enemies.

SWEET. It's true that I keep the Skull Gun around since it's good as a special, even if I don't like it as a normal. I am not relaxed enough to count on these bouncy balls.

It occurrrrrs to me that while your eventual video will help a lot of people (maybe show them what each weapon does, in addition to how to make sweet blocks), one thing you could easily do in the meantime is to make repeat viewings of the tutorial possible, since unless I'm exceptionally stupid, it appears to be gone for good after one shot!

PS: Dearest Exodus, did you plan for the little projectile throwing grunts to suddenly become the most dangerous enemies in the game after you win on day 10? It's okay, you can tell me

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 4 Oct 14:35]

PSN: Drakee
XBL: eccothedolphin
CFN: eccothedolphin
Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(9):JUAN and Exodus' Gunhouse" , posted Tue 17 Oct 10:31post reply

Woo! I didn't see we had a Gunhouse thread! I went pretty hard when I first tried the game and had an amazing time- hearing a PS4 port is coming(!!) has me excited to get sucked in all over again and swapping strategies. Looking forward to it!

"Re(10):JUAN and Exodus' Gunhouse" , posted Tue 17 Oct 12:16post reply

Cafe, it is time to stop wasting time not playing Gunhouse, and instead, to play Gunhouse! A description I saw of tower defense game meets puzzle game is not a bad one. I don't even like tower defense games, but I am having the most fun on this puzzle since Lumines and Puyo Puyo before that!

I love the hilarious freaks Juan has created to populate this game. The ice cream boss makes me laugh the most, but I love all of these goons. I can't believe I only noticed 天 on the big boss a few days ago. Hazzan would be so proud.

While Brandon has been tsundere-ing the Cafe for a good two years, I will leave this for when he wanders through: I think he will be pleased that there has been enough Gunhouse play (at least by me) to now start talking in technical terms like "the fork shield is OP and for n00bs," and that champions always use the Penguin Gun, Skull Gun, and Dragon/Fire Gun. I made it to Day 51, how is everyone else?

It's worth noting that you can play at several different levels, so to speak: I literally never paid attention to the matching bonus until about Day 40 or so and did just fine.

The only drawback of the game: I constantly want to refer to it as GUNHED, a very different type of legend