BBS Text size - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2371 Views )
Professor
4987th Post

user profileedit/delete message
MMCafe Owner

"BBS Text size" , posted Tue 25 Oct 01:55:post reply

As some people might've noticed I'm fiddling around with the BBS'es font display for smartphones (not noticable on PC). I'm not sure really how many people actually check this BBS via mobile but I do plan on making it moreso mobile-friendly towards its 20th anniversary.

But man the system is so old that it's a headache-- who would've thought back in the 90s that things would be so ubiquitous in two decades!

The text gets super-huge for some of the threads and I have no idea why, it needs some serious debugging. However they look fine in a new tab which makes things even more mindboggling. If anyone notices anything seriously wonky please let me know. And yes the images are dinky.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 25 Oct 02:35]

Replies:

Professor
4988th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Check here if text size too large" , posted Tue 25 Oct 02:43:post reply

If the text size is too large on some of the threads, try opening from the below URL.

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/thread_open.shtml

If there's still issues please let me know! It'll help in debugging.
Either way I *think* it's better than before for mobile...??

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 25 Oct 02:50]

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Check here if text size too large" , posted Tue 25 Oct 06:20post reply

quote:
If the text size is too large on some of the threads, try opening from the below URL.

Nowadays I'm checking internet from mobile. With Mmcafe sometimes post fits the screen. But text is a litt bit small and sometimes posts doesnt fit the screen but texts are still same size. And I make it bigger and than I have the same posts out of the screen problem.

I know this site is beautifully ad-free and I don't mind at all if these issues are not fixable. Just wanted to inform.

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: n/a
Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Check here if text size too large" , posted Tue 25 Oct 06:51post reply

quote:

Hey Professor! I check it most of the time on mobile. First: Hooray, I think it looks much better on mobile, thanks for your hard work! It's nice that you've changed the side panel to appear above the post. The text size seems just right to my eyes-- but like kofoguz says, sometimes, mysteriously, certain posts bleed off the edge of the 'normal' layout, so I'll be curious if I subsequently encounter that behavior. I'll be sure to let you know if I do!

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.
Professor
4988th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Check here if text size too large" , posted Tue 25 Oct 13:19post reply

Guys--- can you check if the bleedings still happen when viewing from the below URL? And any other issues from viewing there. Karasu-- the old issue about reloading should also be solved if viewed from the below address.

"Re(3):Check here if text size too large" , posted Wed 26 Oct 06:18post reply

quote:
Guys--- can you check if the bleedings still happen when viewing from the below URL? And any other issues from viewing there. Karasu-- the old issue about reloading should also be solved if viewed from the below address.

Thanks Professor, there's no bleeding for me anymore. It's perfect now. I use latest chrome on Galaxy S4 if it is useful information.

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(4):Check here if text size too large" , posted Wed 26 Oct 08:52post reply

Thanks, Prof. Things have looked good to me running Safari on an older iphone, and now even via the mobile Dolphin browser (which previously had display issues but now does not).

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

"Re(3):Check here if text size too large" , posted Thu 27 Oct 00:45post reply

quote:

Fantastic! Just double tested and I can confirm that I see no hint of that old issue. I also see no hint of the bleeding issue.

To clarify, should that be the standard URL that I bookmark on my phone, or will you be rolling it into the default page?

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.
Professor
4989th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Check here if text size too large" , posted Thu 27 Oct 02:48post reply

quote:

Fantastic! Just double tested and I can confirm that I see no hint of that old issue. I also see no hint of the bleeding issue.

To clarify, should that be the standard URL that I bookmark on my phone, or will you be rolling it into the default page?

For the time being it's probably best to bookmark that URL. I can make it so that the current top page automatically redirects there for mobile, but I want to leave the current top page as-is until I've worked out potential bugs.

Professor
5004th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Tue 15 Nov 17:35:post reply

I've been tinkering with more stuff for smartphones. I'd like to hear some feedback on it, thanks!

Some of the threads have posts that are oddly huge in fonts.. I have no idea why. Will need to look into that but it seems buggy.

What's more, making a reply to posts with those huge buggy fonts require you to tap "reply" twice and it turns the fontsize back to normal when tap the first time. I haven't coded anything like that in here. So bizzare.

Figured out the cause! Wow the cause was so old-school... reminded me of the 90s.

[edit] made top page more mobile friendly too

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 16 Nov 03:28]

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(1):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Wed 16 Nov 00:04post reply

Thanks for working on this.

Hmm, it's still a work in progress. I looked at the board through both IE11 and Chrome and found everything was wildly magnified. To try and remedy this I went to the fontsize tab (which is only available through mmcafe.com/bbs and not the main page.) After adjusting that the font went back to regular size but the avatars, icons and whatnot were still oversized. Good luck!

Professor
5001th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Wed 16 Nov 00:39post reply

quote:

Hmm, it's still a work in progress. I looked at the board through both IE11 and Chrome and found everything was wildly magnified. To try and remedy this I went to the fontsize tab (which is only available through mmcafe.com/bbs and not the main page.) After adjusting that the font went back to regular size but the avatars, icons and whatnot were still oversized. Good luck!

Actually nothing's been changed for viewing on PC-- changes that've been made are only for smartphones!
Thanks for checking though!

I'm not sure why the images would be magnified on PC browsers, but in Firefox's case, zooming the BBS via browser function will be memorized even after the page or browser is closed (needs to be reset).

Professor
5003th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Wed 16 Nov 00:46:post reply

quote:

Thanks for checking! This time around though. the changes that've been made were only for smartphones! (If something's going on with the PC/normal version, it needs to be fixed too though.)

I'm not sure why the images would be magnified on PC browsers, but in Firefox's case, zooming the BBS via browser function will be memorized even after the page or browser is closed (needs to be reset).

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 16 Nov 00:46]

nobinobita
1713th Post

"Re(4):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Wed 16 Nov 01:51post reply

quote:

Thanks for checking! This time around though. the changes that've been made were only for smartphones! (If something's going on with the PC/normal version, it needs to be fixed too though.)

There are times where it seems the smartphone settings are being applied when I'm on my laptop. For instance, just before I typed this out everything was zoomed in. I am using Chrome on a Macbook Pro. I pressed cntrl + 0 to make sure I wasn't just zoomed in.

www.art-eater.com
Professor
5003th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Wed 16 Nov 02:13post reply

quote:
There are times where it seems the smartphone settings are being applied when I'm on my laptop. For instance, just before I typed this out everything was zoomed in. I am using Chrome on a Macbook Pro. I pressed cntrl + 0 to make sure I wasn't just zoomed in.

A Macbook! Now that's something that I didn't think of. It might actually be picking up a command that PCs normally don't. I've tried tinkering a bit to fix that, can you tell me if it still happens after reload/cache is cleaned? Thanks!

nobinobita
1714th Post

"Re(6):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Wed 16 Nov 02:28post reply

quote:

A Macbook! Now that's something that I didn't think of. It might actually be picking up a command that PCs normally don't. I've tried tinkering a bit to fix that, can you tell me if it still happens after reload/cache is cleaned? Thanks!

Looks fine now :D

www.art-eater.com

PSN: IkariLoona
Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(6):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Wed 16 Nov 17:53post reply

On Chrome (laptop) I'm getting a weird phenomenon where clicking a topic appears to start opening normally, but then all text and images disappear, leaving only the background image pattern - oddly, the topic works fine if I select to open the topic in a different tab instead, which is how I'm managing to post this.

...!!
Professor
5005th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Wed 16 Nov 20:52:post reply

quote:
On Chrome (laptop) I'm getting a weird phenomenon where clicking a topic appears to start opening normally, but then all text and images disappear, leaving only the background image pattern - oddly, the topic works fine if I select to open the topic in a different tab instead, which is how I'm managing to post this.

Weird, I can think of what could be causing it, but I'm not sure why it'd happen. I'll look into it, thanks!

[Update]
Loona-- I tried checking with Chrome on my Windows laptop but I can't seem to replicate the bug you've told me. Can you give me more details so that I can try and nail down the issue? Thanks!

1/ What OS is your laptop running on?

2/ Does it happen even after erasing browser cache?
(I was fiddling around with the site for the past 2 days so your laptop might've cached some bad scripts while it was in the middle of debugging)

3/ What URL were you using when checking the BBS and it went blank? There's a number of URLs that can be used.

example:
www.mmcafe.com/bbs/
mmcafe.com/bbs/ (without the www)
www.mmcafe.com/bbs.html
www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/thread_open.shtml
www.mmcafe.com/bbs_postnew.html

And anything else that might help will be appreciated!

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 16 Nov 23:14]

"Re(8):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Wed 16 Nov 23:50post reply

quote:

Weird, I can think of what could be causing it, but I'm not sure why it'd happen. I'll look into it, thanks!

[Update]
Loona-- I tried checking with Chrome on my Windows laptop but I can't seem to replicate the bug you've told me. Can you give me more details so that I can try and nail down the issue? Thanks!

1/ What OS is your laptop running on?

2/ Does it happen even after erasing browser cache?
(I was fiddling around with the site for the past 2 days so your laptop might've cached some bad scripts while it was in the middle of debugging)

3/ What URL were you using when checking the BBS and it went blank? There's a number of URLs that can be used.

example:
www.mmcafe.com/bbs/
mmcafe.com/bbs/ (without the www)
www.mmcafe.com/bbs.html
www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/thread_open.shtml
www.mmcafe.com/bbs_postnew.html

And anything else that might help will be appreciated!

It no longer happens, for some reason. The odd thing now is when posting a reply, there's a considerable empty space under the Post/Preview/Reset buttons, under which there's an Edit Message button.

OS-wise I'm using Windows 10 Pro. Since it's no longer happening, I didn't try erasing the cache - for what it's worth, I keep a lot of tabs open at all times, if that affects anything (memory management, I guess). The URL I've been using is http://www.mmcafe.com/bbs/

...!!
Professor
5005th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(9):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Thu 17 Nov 02:02post reply

quote:
It no longer happens, for some reason. The odd thing now is when posting a reply, there's a considerable empty space under the Post/Preview/Reset buttons, under which there's an Edit Message button.

Ah cool!
By the way, the empty space-- is there sort of a greyed square? If it is, it's the preview pane so it's normal.

"Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Thu 17 Nov 17:48post reply

quote:

By the way, the empty space-- is there sort of a greyed square? If it is, it's the preview pane so it's normal.

Yep, big light grayish rectangular area. It just seems a bit odd that it brings up editing when writing a new post instead of editing a previous one, I guess.

...!!

"Re(2):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Fri 18 Nov 12:45post reply

Hey Prof, if it's useful: starting yesterday or so, when using an old iphone 4s with Safari the BBS top page displays extremely wide, tall boxes for the subject and post date columns, but a smashed user column that's only one character wide. Wasn't that way before. Mysterious!

Professor
5011th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Fri 18 Nov 14:14:post reply

quote:
Hey Prof, if it's useful: starting yesterday or so, when using an old iphone 4s with Safari the BBS top page displays extremely wide, tall boxes for the subject and post date columns, but a smashed user column that's only one character wide. Wasn't that way before. Mysterious!

I think I have a clue as to why and it should be easy. I'll have it fixed, thanks!

[update] it should be fixed now!

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 18 Nov 16:00]

"Re(4):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Sun 20 Nov 12:55post reply

quote:

I think I have a clue as to why and it should be easy. I'll have it fixed, thanks!

[update] it should be fixed now!

Thanks, Prof! Yeah, the user column is wider now, maybe wider than it needs to be--the thread titles could stand to borrow some of the user column's width. But then again, this is on an old iphone and I usually post from a computer, so my situation may not be relevant!

Micky Kusanagi
449th Post

PSN: MickyKusanagi
CFN: MickyKusanagi
Gold Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Tue 22 Nov 06:29post reply

Prof I'll give you feedback soon, I'm not visiting the Cafe via phone these days -I've always felt comfortable when doing it though, I wrote some of my messages on my phone too. Meanwhile, thank you like always for your dedication and for listening to our feedback ^^

Ore no...kachi da!!
Professor
5015th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Tue 22 Nov 22:00post reply

Thanks everyone! I think now the next thing up is to do something about the BBS menu for mobile devices, and things will be good.

quote:
Yeah, the user column is wider now, maybe wider than it needs to be--the thread titles could stand to borrow some of the user column's width. But then again, this is on an old iphone and I usually post from a computer, so my situation may not be relevant!

Yeaah the user column is wider now but it's er... as short as it can be unless I make the fonts smaller. Someone has a long user name, lol.

"Re(6):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Tue 29 Nov 19:55post reply

For Galaxy S4, viewing is worse now. A different type of bad. Main page fits into the screen but the words in the titles looks piggy backing each other. And the in threads, boxes bleed into both sides of the screen.

The magic you've done before has gone away here.

Professor
5020th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Tue 29 Nov 21:10:post reply

quote:
For Galaxy S4, viewing is worse now. A different type of bad. Main page fits into the screen but the words in the titles looks piggy backing each other. And the in threads, boxes bleed into both sides of the screen.

Wow that sounds like a handful! Can you take screenshots and mail me or upload it to the uploader? I'll need to take a look to see what could be causing the issues. Sorry for the troubles.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 29 Nov 21:12]

"Re(8):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Tue 29 Nov 21:52post reply

quote:

Wow that sounds like a handful! Can you take screenshots and mail me or upload it to the uploader? I'll need to take a look to see what could be causing the issues. Sorry for the troubles.

E-mail is the better option for me. Can you mail me at kofoguz@gmail.com for me to send them there Professor?

Professor
5021th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(9):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Tue 29 Nov 22:05:post reply

quote:

E-mail is the better option for me. Can you mail me at kofoguz@gmail.com for me to send them there Professor?

Sent, thanks!

[edit]
Got your mail, bug's been squatted!

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 29 Nov 23:55]

"Re(10):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Wed 30 Nov 01:24post reply

quote:

Sent, thanks!

[edit]
Got your mail, bug's been squatted!

Thank you Professor. Threads are much better now.

Micky Kusanagi
480th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Sun 4 Dec 21:35post reply

Checked the Cafe on my prehistoric iPhone 4 (iOS 7.1.2). Even better than before!! Thank you so much for the improvements Professor ^^

Ore no...kachi da!!

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Mon 5 Dec 06:28post reply

Late to the party: things work well on phones lately, Prof!

Unrelated thought: would it be easy to disable (or at least have an option on) auto-clipping long quoted responses? Sometimes the part I'd want to highlight disappears in the reply field, and without Hazzan, overlong replies haven't really be bugging me much.

Neo0r0chiaku
276th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: dc202styles
Copper Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Wed 7 Dec 13:04post reply

quote:

Unrelated thought: would it be easy to disable (or at least have an option on) auto-clipping long quoted responses? Sometimes the part I'd want to highlight disappears in the reply field, and without Hazzan, overlong replies haven't really be bugging me much.

Hey prof, on my mobile device, I can't see the selection on the top of the home page (bbs, post thread, etc.) I would normally have to go into a thread in order to see those selections. Even clicking on one of the news post does not show. Also for the spoiler text, they show up normally like any other text. So it's not hidden. Thanks.

Long Live I AM!
Professor
5027th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Wed 7 Dec 13:25:post reply

quote:

Hey prof, on my mobile device, I can't see the selection on the top of the home page (bbs, post thread, etc.) I would normally have to go into a thread in order to see those selections. Even clicking on one of the news post does not show. Also for the spoiler text, they show up normally like any other text. So it's not hidden. Thanks.

Agh thanks about the spoiler text, that's certainly an overlooked glitch! It's fixed now.

Regarding the BBS menu, can you tell me details about your mobile device? That'll help a lot.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 7 Dec 13:25]

Micky Kusanagi
496th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Wed 7 Dec 21:13post reply

Prof, I get the "no links bar" issue too, but I hadn't told you because you had warned us we better bookmarking the "thread_open" link, which brings you to the complete topic list at once. Again, my phone is an iPhone 4 running iOS 7.1.2

Ore no...kachi da!!
Professor
5028th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Wed 7 Dec 21:29post reply

quote:
Prof, I get the "no links bar" issue too, but I hadn't told you because you had warned us we better bookmarking the "thread_open" link, which brings you to the complete topic list at once. Again, my phone is an iPhone 4 running iOS 7.1.2

Humm odd though, the code is there to show a top bar for iphones... I need to get that part right before going further with BBS updatings. Thanks about it.

neo0r0chiaku
278th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: dc202styles
Copper Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Tue 13 Dec 23:03post reply

quote:

Agh thanks about the spoiler text, that's certainly an overlooked glitch! It's fixed now.

Regarding the BBS menu, can you tell me details about your mobile device? That'll help a lot.

Its a Android Galaxy tab.

Long Live I AM!
Professor
5044th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Sat 17 Dec 04:20post reply

quote:

Its a Android Galaxy tab.

I think I've solved the "bleeding" on most pages.
So now, to figure out what's with the menu...

Professor
5046th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Sun 18 Dec 11:53:post reply

OK, so I've added a tentative menu which I hope will display for both ios and android. It's only implemented for the BBS index and messages, not for search and other misc pages. (deleting cache may be required to see it for the first time)

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 18 Dec 11:55]

Micky Kusanagi
523th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuff" , posted Sun 18 Dec 19:13post reply

Thank you Prof, that three-striped, square button is really convenient ^^ Do you plan to add it -or a similar solution- to the homepage? Just to know if the "bbs.html" link is the final link to bookmark on mobile devices according to your vision of the site, or we'll be able to access the thread list directly from mmcafe.com through that menu someday. I personally am more comfortable accessing the site from its very homepage, but I'm not demanding anything.

Ore no...kachi da!!
Professor
5048th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Tinkering with more stuf" , posted Wed 21 Dec 13:27post reply

quote:
Thank you Prof, that three-striped, square button is really convenient ^^ Do you plan to add it -or a similar solution- to the homepage? Just to know if the "bbs.html" link is the final link to bookmark on mobile devices according to your vision of the site, or we'll be able to access the thread list directly from mmcafe.com through that menu someday. I personally am more comfortable accessing the site from its very homepage, but I'm not demanding anything.

The menu button coding is actually done for the top page too but I haven't made it public yet since I'm not too fond of its design. Once I have time to make it look a bit better I'll have it up.

Also, bookmarking bbs.html shouldn't be a problem I think-- it should automatically reroute you to the mobile page. Tell me if you have problems though!

Micky Kusanagi
527th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Tinkering with mor" , posted Wed 21 Dec 17:37post reply

Double checked the bbs.html page and noticed it has everything I need. Good support like always Prof ^^ Here you are the long, boring explanation :P

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
When I visit the Cafe, I like to get immediate access to the icons of the latest news and the most recent thread links in the same page. On mobile, given the minimal size of my dear old phone, the recent threads listed in the homepage are too few compared to how many threads are generally active in a day or a week, so I was hoping to get a direct link to the full thread list in the homepage when I browse the Cafe on mobile. But I had overlooked that the bbs.html page has the icons of the 5 latest articles together with the complete thread list, which is really good for me. Combining this with the quick menu, bookmarking bbs.html on my phone is just perfect ^^

End of Spoiler

Ore no...kachi da!!
Professor
5057th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Tinkering with mor" , posted Fri 23 Dec 15:31post reply

quote:
Double checked the bbs.html page and noticed it has everything I need. Good support like always Prof ^^ Here you are the long, boring explanation :P

Yeah the BBS is really where the heart of the site is. I'm still fine-tuning stuff towards April so some minor things will see changes/updates in the next few months!

Micky Kusanagi
533th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Tinkering with mor" , posted Fri 23 Dec 17:13post reply

That's great. Looking forward to them ^^

Ore no...kachi da!!