user profileedit/delete message
PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1
Wii: n/a
STM: dc202styles
CFN: n/a
Copper Customer

"Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 out on 3DS" , posted Fri 30 Sep 22:18post reply

Just a reminder that the game was released on the 3DS shop last night. Post your first impressions or reviews.

So far for my first impressions is going good.
The gameplay gets challenging as you progress through the game.
Music is solid but for now, not as amazing as the first.
Stages have more detail and look great than before.
You get to choose two characters and use them through your campaign. They have different routes.
The commentary can interfere with the gameplay a bit much.
Copen gives the player so much to offer, there is still room for poking around with this character.

Long Live I AM!

Replies:
chazumaru
1775th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 out on 3DS" , posted Tue 4 Oct 01:42post reply

I admire the clever direction the franchise is going for, doubling down on anime and character interactions, and all their choices make sense in a way that completely contradicts the awkwardness of Mighty N°9, but those changes are not for me, personally. It's not enough about action-platform anymore, and there is not even much of a challenge or anything deep to pursue; the game itself has almost become an excuse for the visual novel to proceed. Which is a smart move for the long term future of the IP, by all means. I find the game fascinating, if not fun, to play and critique on those acknowledged terms.

Même Narumi est épatée !
Neo0r0chiaku
259th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 out on 3DS" , posted Wed 26 Oct 23:25:post reply

Is this game really a sequel to the original? Is it more of a continuation of the first one? I think these are the two most important questions when it comes to ASG2. I must say that the option to play Copen is a huge plus. The story has a cast of new characters that brings more dialogue to the game. The stages have great designs and interactions. The music was not as memorable or engaging compared to the first game but definitely not bad at all. The in game dialogue during the boss battles is very distracting especially the chat windows. This was my initial first impressions of the game.

After completing the first game, I wanted more and continue the game further. It was a feeling of “More of the same.” That is what ASG2 gave to the player. It was more of the first and a continuation of the first. So is it truly a sequel? I can say this is what I wanted as a fan and I am not overly disappointed. The game does bring changes or additions that are not impressive.

In game dialogue and windows clearly interfere heavily during the gameplay. Especially since they speak in Japanese with English subtitles that needs to be read in order to understand. But for Japanese players, it’s not really a problem. You can make the windows dimmer in the game settings to avoid blocking gameplay.

Even though you play different paths with each character, it only consists of three or four different stages. It would be nice if you can play those Copen only stages with Gunvolt and vice versa. There should also be a difficulty setting for the game as these characters, especially Copen, are very powerful. Still fun but would like a challenge.

As for mission challenges go, it’s a pain in the neck. Let’s say you have challenges to complete the game in 12 minutes and with a B ranking. The first time you complete the stage, you finish in 5 minutes with an S ranking. After that, you will receive new mission that will need you to complete the stage in 8 minutes with an A ranking. Even though you already did the first time, you will need to go through the stage to do it again. Which makes no sense since after those two challenges are completed, you will get something like finish the stage in 6 minutes with an S ranking. If you already got it the first time, then it should complete all those challenges. Sometimes, you are not able to get that S ranking the third time around for some unheard of reason. The challenge mode that is unlocked after the completion of the game I did not experiment with. Especially after having to go through the mission challenges.

The voice acting in the game however, is actually very entertaining in my opinion. Certain boss characters really stood out and the actors did a great job becoming the character. You got this one social media addict teenager called Teseo who sounds like your usual annoying cyber bully with hashtags galore. Ghauri is some hip hopster lyrical rap dude who sounds so hilarious when trying to rhyme it makes me laugh. Then you have Gibril who is a young psychotic girl who have a thirst and love for killing but has a unique emotional distress order revealed later in the game. These three are fantastic and do not mind the in game dialogue when playing their respective stages when trying to complete the mission challenges. I would have loved to see more in game dialogue by Zonda (his current form). His voice acting and in game dialogue was quite nice in the first game.

The soundtrack of the game was a letdown for me but it was still great in general. This was a letdown for me because it came nowhere near as amazing compared to the first game. Most of the audio tracks blended well enough for the stages. The story is not bad at all. However, the continuous in game dialogue brings the value down a bit. I was impressed and satisfied enough with AGS2. As it gave me more from the first game!

Overall, if we had a difficulty setting, characters play all stages available, clearer mission challenges, and the in game dialogue not covering the whole screen of the game, this would have clearly been a 10/10. I give it an 8/10. The third one, which I hope, is where IntiCreates come out with a bang, will be great in deed.

I think this is my first review in the cafe. Its not as amazing compared to the other cafe member. Hopefully I did good enough. :)

Long Live I AM!

[this message was edited by Neo0r0chiaku on Wed 26 Oct 23:26]

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 out on 3DS" , posted Fri 28 Oct 12:16post reply

quote:
I think this is my first review in the cafe. Its not as amazing compared to the other cafe member.
Nah, I like it! You've done a service in keeping us updated on what's apparently on the better end of Rockman successors lately.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...
neo0r0chiaku
260th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 out on 3DS" , posted Fri 4 Nov 22:30post reply

quote:
I think this is my first review in the cafe. Its not as amazing compared to the other cafe member. Nah, I like it! You've done a service in keeping us updated on what's apparently on the better end of Rockman successors lately.

Thanks Maou! I did forget to mention that the stages in the game were designed pretty well. Especially the first stage with Azure that involves a futuristic Castlevania castle style theme. One of the enemies is a zombie version of Noh-Face from Spirited away. You can also shatter the stain glasses with your electrical field attack. Speaking of electrical field, while you use electrical field to attack enemies, many stages have special light fixtures that start to blink at a rapid pace. It is a small detail but a nice touch to make the stage come alive.

Long Live I AM!