LIVE ACTION JOJO MOVIE - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2526 Views )
nobinobita
1678th Post

user profileedit/delete message
Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"LIVE ACTION JOJO MOVIE" , posted Thu 29 Sep 20:48:post reply

Takashi Miike is all set to direct the live action JoJo's Bizarre Adventure movie!
Details here (IM SO EXCITED):

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/09/27/jojos-bizarre-adventure-diamond-is-unbreakable-live-action-film-project-officially-confirmed

It will be based off of the 4th arc, Diamond is Unbreakable.
I think this is a good call since it's the one that takes place in contemporary Japan. Also the main cast of highschool kids will line up best with the Japanese film industry's tendency to cast actors that are way prettier than their cartoon counterparts.

Speaking of which, I've always thought Yusuke Iseya would make a great Jotaro and BY GOD THEY DID IT. Sure he's not a 8 foot tall hulk, but he has the intense screen presence to pull it off. And he actually is pretty tall irl and is willing to get very physical for roles if necessary.

I think Miike is the best director in the world at making live action cartoons.
He already has an extensive resume of fun anime/manga/videogames to live action adaptations including:

Yatterman (with costumes redesigned by Katsuya Terada!)
Crows Zero
Ichi the Killer (was this his first manga adaptation?)
Ninja Kids
Terra Formars
Gyakuten Saiban
Blade of the Immortal (which is also set to release next year??)

And then there's his very manga-like original movies like:
Great Yokai War
Zebraman
Zebraman 2
Sukiyaki Western Django
13 Assassins
etc etc (he's been making what like at least 2-3 movies a year for decades!)

I actually have high hopes for this one! What I like about Miike is that he feels no pressure to make his movies hit all the standard emotional beats, instead he just wants them to be interesting. He's also not afraid to try and make his films look as close to the source material as possible, which is like half the fun of these adaptations for me.

I'm usually not very excited for live action adaptations of stuff that I like, but I'm super looking forward to JoJo!

Bonus Miike Annecdote:
In college I convinced a bunch of my film loving friends to watch Audition. They'd never heard of it. I told them we were watching a Japanese romantic comedy. In retrospect this was a real dick move, but I think they got as much out of the movie as possible, going in with that expectation. Ah ... the look on everyone's face when she was just sullenly sitting by the phone in the dark waiting for it to ring ... Good times!

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 29 Sep 20:49]

Replies:

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(1):LIVE ACTION JOJO MOVIE" , posted Thu 29 Sep 21:12post reply

Have you seen Terraformers?

Yeah, no.

nobinobita
1678th Post

"Re(2):LIVE ACTION JOJO MOVIE" , posted Thu 29 Sep 21:29post reply

quote:
Have you seen Terraformers?

Yeah, no.

Haven't seen it. I fully expected it to be terrible though! (with hopefully some satisfying violence)

Have you seen any of Miike's other movies? They vary in quality greatly, but even the bad ones tend to have one or two really interesting scenes. For instance Dead or Alive was a very standard Yakuza yarn with an incredible opening sequence and a very very absurd ending.

He has made some legitimately good films though, like Hara-Kiri for instance. I thought it was a really excellent samurai film.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Miike almost always has some kind of subversive punchline in the endings of his films. I thought the one in Hara-kiri was especially powerful

End of Spoiler

www.art-eater.com

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(3):LIVE ACTION JOJO MOVIE" , posted Thu 29 Sep 22:00post reply

Indeed, some (a few) of Miike's movies can be interesting. But they mostly are when he's allowed to make up his own stuff. When he adapts something that's too far from his home turf, the result is pretty terrible, and he generally barely cares about the original works anyway.
Yeah, Yokai Daisensô was NOT TOO BAD. Gyakuten Saiban was only good because the anime somehow managed to be even worse. Terraformers is Casshern/Devilman level of atrocious.

What can Miike bring to Jojo? I've seen some people defending him because "he's weird and Jojo is weird", but it doesn't take a genius to see that those are two totally different kind of weirdness and they don't really match together.
Already, the changes to Kôichi and Yukako are extremely worrying and seems to point out to a fundamental misunderstanding of who these characters are and what this part is about.

I think people misunderstand part 4 and think "since it happens in Japan, it will be easier to adapt by/for Japanese people". It's actually extremely tricky because its rhythm and atmosphere only really works in manga. The anime is doing a good work, but it's not without flaws (I have many more reservations about it than about the part 3 adaptation). I shudder thinking what they're going to do to cram it in 90 minutes. It's amazing that they have learned literally nothing from Terraformers, since they already announced they wanted to make several movies out of it.
At least the CGs are going to be hilariously bad... And Araki has done his best to safeguard his manga (they wanted to adapt part 3 which he vetoed, and he also vetoed using any boys band "actors". He also tried to bar most actors from playing Jôtarô, but it seems he bailed out after all on this one).

Anyhow, they already announced that this part, which happens in Japan and is supposed to capture the feeling of strangeness-within-homeliness for Japanese people, will be shot somewhere in Spain.
I'm starting to wonder whether Miike has a Uwe Boll-scheme going on.

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):LIVE ACTION JOJO MOVIE" , posted Fri 30 Sep 01:17post reply

None of this fills me with confidence. Miike can make some interesting films but he can also make uninvolved nonsense. My gut feeling tells me this is going to be like his Ryu ga Gotoku movie which felt like something he farted out over a long weekend.

quote:
He has made some legitimately good films though, like Hara-Kiri for instance. I thought it was a really excellent samurai film.

How did Miike's remake compare to the original film?

Now that I think about it, Miike is sort of the modern-day Kinji Fukusaku; a company man who cranks out plenty of material but has his own point of view that occasionally comes out. Then again, Miike's spurts of originality are often simply outlandish and don't have the social and political viewpoint that Fukusaku would sometimes slip in.

LEGENOARYNINLIA
520th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):LIVE ACTION JOJO MOVIE" , posted Fri 30 Sep 01:57post reply

Oh no. Oh dear. Oh no. Oh dear. Oh no. Shit.

~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
videograpple.tumblr.com/

"Re(4):LIVE ACTION JOJO MOVIE" , posted Fri 30 Sep 02:21:post reply

I like to think that Stranger Things is the best Jojo Part 4 show made, and it understands that a serial format works best for that kind of story.

Jojo is one of those cases where the long-standing Hollywood convention of hiring people who are way too old to be teenagers to act as teenagers would actually work, because it is impossible for me to imagine many of the "teenage" Jojo characters as teenagers.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Fri 30 Sep 02:23]

"Re(5):LIVE ACTION JOJO MOVIE" , posted Fri 30 Sep 02:52post reply

quote:
Jojo is one of those cases where the long-standing Hollywood convention of hiring people who are way too old to be teenagers to act as teenagers would actually work, because it is impossible for me to imagine many of the "teenage" Jojo characters as teenagers.

I tried to visualize that. After only a couple of seconds I had Brad Pitt playing Kira, Samuel L Jackson playing Jôsuke, Dolph Lundgren playing Okuyasu and Ru Paul playing Yukako.
I'm still not sure for Jôtarô, though: Gary Oldman or Grace Jones?

nobinobita
1679th Post

"Re(4):LIVE ACTION JOJO MOVIE" , posted Fri 30 Sep 03:14post reply

quote:
Indeed, some (a few) of Miike's movies can be interesting. But they mostly are when he's allowed to make up his own stuff. When he adapts something that's too far from his home turf, the result is pretty terrible, and he generally barely cares about the original works anyway.
Yeah, Yokai Daisensô was NOT TOO BAD. Gyakuten Saiban was only good because the anime somehow managed to be even worse. Terraformers is Casshern/Devilman level of atrocious.

What can Miike bring to Jojo? I've seen some people defending him because "he's weird and Jojo is weird", but it doesn't take a genius to see that those are two totally different kind of weirdness and they don't really match together.
Already, the changes to Kôichi and Yukako are extremely worrying and seems to point out to a fundamental misunderstanding of who these characters are and what this part is about.

I think people misunderstand part 4 and think "since it happens in Japan, it will be easier to adapt by/for Japanese people". It's actually extremely tricky because its rhythm and atmosphere only really works in manga. The anime is doing a good work, but it's not without flaws (I have many more reservations about it than about the part 3 adaptation). I shudder thinking what they're going to do to cram it in 90 minutes. It's amazing that they have learned literally nothing from Terraformers, since they already announced they wanted to make several movies out of it.
At least the CGs are going to be hilariously bad... And Araki

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

You bring up some great points about Part 4 being the most difficult to adapt to film. Diamond is Unbreakable is particularly close to my heart as that was the one I actually followed on a weekly basis in middle school. It's the most meandering and episodic of all JoJo arcs. There wasn't even an overarching antagonist until halfway through. While all previous arcs were about manly men on life changing Odysseys, Part 4 was tuned into the rhythm of every day school life, broken up with supernatural hijinks.

I don't expect the upcoming movie to even attempt to capture that feeling. I just hope it's a fun spectacle.

Here are the films that make me think Miike can pull off a good JoJo movie.

Yatterman - Captured the manic energy and visual flair of the original show, which was super stylized. Awesome awesome costumes too.

Great Yokai War - His first big budget mainstream movie. Lots of fun FX and costumes and supernatural stuff. Managed to actually maintain emotional engrossment too (for me anyway). Some great disturbing imagery for a kids film too.

Crows 0 - Managed to make a solid, convincing adaptation of a comic about street punks with a cast of prettyboys. Surprisingly good fight scenes.

Gozu, Audition - Genuinely unnerving and strange atmosphere.

Sukiyaki Western Django - Looks and feels like a living manga.

Ichii the Killer - Great adaptation of a very weird comic. Got really good, iconic performances out of the cast. Full of striking imagery and memorable moments.

The success of this film will depend on which form of Miike shows up. Is he doing this one for the money? Or does he have something invested in it? At the very least it will be interesting (unlike a lot of other competent but forgetable movies)

quote:
Then again, Miike's spurts of originality are often simply outlandish and don't have the social and political viewpoint that Fukusaku would sometimes slip in.

I must respectfully disagree. One of my favourite things about his movies is that I feel like there's actually an interesting point to his subversion.

For instance, Visitor Q seems like a typical edgy in your face art film. It is full of taboos like incest, necrophelia, poop stuff etc. But then, by the end of the film, the family, through all the insanity that's passed has actually reformed back into a traditional nuclear family with a domineering father, doting mother and kids who respect their parents. That blew my mind. I'd never seen a movie contrast it's aesthetic with its core themes like that before.

Audition was a really great mashup of horror and romance. It starts off as a pretty legit romantic dramedy about an older man falling in love with a younger woman. Then it slowly descends into horror.

13 Assassins is a great action movie. It's touching how the lead Samurai guy finally finds something worth giving his life to. And then there's the absurd ending where his nephew is like "Well I'm off to America to bang white chicks." It was a really funny note to end on. But it reflects the reality of our generation, comfortably pursuing our frivolous dreams while our parents had to escape from war and our grandparents had to fight in them.

Harakiri was an incredible indictment of the feudal class system and machismo/bravado in general. Some amazing human drama plays out. Love, honor, sacrifice, loss of faith, revenge. By the end of the film the hero has shown everyone to be an incredible hypocrite before his own demise. And what do they do? They brush themselves off as if none of it ever happened. The last shot where the Shogun comes by and compliments the house of Li and they're all like "oh I'm so happy!" is such a crushing punchline to everything preceding it. It's a very different ending to the original film where it's implied that their dishonor would eventually be discovered.

Ichii The Killer. Man. That movie. It starts off as this really enthralling romanticization of violence and nihilism. Tadanobu Asano is just the coolest, meanest dude you've ever seen. And he thinks he's going to have an amazing shodown with Ichii who is described as "everyone has a bit of a sadist and masochist in them. But Ichii is 100% sadist." When he finally meets this fabled killer, it's so incredibly disappointing. He actually ends up awkwardly trying to comfort him. Depending on how you read the ending next he either kills himself out of this final disallusionment, or he has an exciting but also ultimately pretty empty death. I thought it was actually a pretty healthy takeaway from this kind of film: if you romanticise pain and suffering and death, you're just going to end up very disappointed.

Gozu explores the homoerotic subtext of Yakuza films etc etc

End of Spoiler

I feel like there's always something interesting going on beneath the surface of (most) of Miike's films!

I don't expect to change anyone's mind, but this is super fun to talk about, so thanks for your thoughtful comments!

quote:

Haha yes. No way Jotaro could be played by anyone under 30.

www.art-eater.com
nobinobita
1680th Post

"Re(6):LIVE ACTION JOJO MOVIE" , posted Fri 30 Sep 03:16post reply

quote:
I tried to visualize that. After only a couple of seconds I had Brad Pitt playing Kira, Samuel L Jackson playing Jôsuke, Dolph Lundgren playing Okuyasu and Ru Paul playing Yukako.

Grace Jones should play Crazy Diamond!

Also Araki must make a cameo as Rohan!

www.art-eater.com
Lord SNK

185th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):LIVE ACTION JOJO MOVIE" , posted Fri 30 Sep 03:25:post reply

quote:

Can we have Danny De Vito as Tamami Kobayashi?

[this message was edited by Lord SNK on Fri 30 Sep 03:29]

"Re(7):LIVE ACTION JOJO MOVIE" , posted Fri 30 Sep 08:04post reply

quote:

Can we have Danny De Vito as Tamami Kobayashi?

Would you have him also play the tall version of him?

nobinobita
1682th Post

"Re(8):LIVE ACTION JOJO MOVIE" , posted Fri 30 Sep 12:30post reply

quote:

Alright, you just sold me on the American remake.

It's Always Sunny in Morioh. Anyone know any hollywood producers?

Also have some Danny Devito fan art from my talented buddy ScrotumNose.

www.art-eater.com

PSN: IkariLoona
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):LIVE ACTION JOJO MOVIE" , posted Fri 30 Sep 19:40post reply

I only know JoJo's part 4 from what I've been following in the anime, and long as it's been so far, I figure a lot of incidents will be briefly referenced (like the Gyakuten Seiban ending did with later events from the games) while mostly focusing on the Yoshikage Kira stuff.

That being said, since my favorite part of his Gyakuten Seiban movie was the cleaning lady throwing confetti when Naruhodo wins his intro trial in a cramped courtroom, I figure Miike's likely to do better with small scenes that have fun with concepts of the original that doing justice to the bigger picture.

I look forward to see how he films Kira trimming his fingernails - I expect slow motion, big close-ups, and the sound being incredibly boosted and slowed down while he's doing it, so that the effect resembles something like a kaiju breaking a national monument in half. And then displaying the cut fingernail as if it were the blade on the scythe of the Grim Reaper itself as dramatic music plays.

If Rohan and his stand are in, I wonder if Araki will get to provide the pages associated with the characters targeted by his stand - could be a fun way to sneak in some biting remarks on whatever he approves of the least in the adaptation...

...!!

"Re(2):LIVE ACTION JOJO MOVIE" , posted Fri 30 Sep 22:26post reply

Hmm, now that I think about it I'm not certain it's possible to make a Hara-Kiri movie without it having any critiques of society. The central premise of the original was bleak and didn't have anything nice to say about the society in which it was set. I've also realized that the problem with critiquing Miike's oeuvre is that he's made too damn many movies. The guy cranks out films faster than I can watch them and he's been at it for years. There needs to be a dedicated Takashi Miike streaming service so I can catch up.

quote:
That being said, since my favorite part of his Gyakuten Seiban movie was the cleaning lady throwing confetti when Naruhodo wins his intro trial in a cramped courtroom, I figure Miike's likely to do better with small scenes that have fun with concepts of the original that doing justice to the bigger picture.

That sounds like a good guess for how the film will turn out. He may not nail the whole thing but there should be some nice moments.

quote:

The question isn't "Why is there Danny DeVito fan art?" but it's "Why isn't there more Danny DeVito fan art?"

Lord SNK

185th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):LIVE ACTION JOJO MOVIE" , posted Sat 1 Oct 03:38post reply

quote:

Absolutely.

quote:

Alright, you just sold me on the American remake.

It's Always Sunny in Morioh. Anyone know any hollywood producers?

Who would be the director of the American remake?

ScrotumNose is a fantastic name, interestings works on that twitter account :D

PSN: Lord-Hayato
Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(10):LIVE ACTION JOJO MOVIE" , posted Sat 1 Oct 05:20:post reply

After the initial (and more than logical) shock, this piece of news really piqued my interest the moment I knew that Miike Takashi was helming the project. If it ever wasI were asked for a Japanese director that could be classified as utterly bizarre, it's him (well, and Tsukamoto Shinya, but he's in a different league)...

I have fond memories of some of his more recent works, such as Hara-Kiri and 13 Assassins, and some of his earlier films, albeit not finding them as groundbreaking/ shocking as I was told they were, I concede them to be good entertainment. As a result, I let myself harbor some hope (even more so after reading Nobi's ever-hyping views on the matter) but... taking into account that Sitges was revealed to be the main filming location my faith in the project begins to waver once again. Being a typical, mediterranean coastal town that sports such a distinctive architectural style (so different to Araki's fictional Morioh) I seriously doubt they would be able to pull it off in the end. But, hey! Who knows, if they were to shot only in generic locations (avoiding most of the biggest buildings, such as the church) and apply tons of color filters to give them that surreal, Namek-like style found in Araki's illustrations of that period, it may be enough to do the trick...

As Iggy pointed out before, another Uwe Boll-like scheme of epic proportions may be at hand. It's either that or just a pretext for Araki to visit the Spanish LGBT Mecca film set on his next holidays...

Edit: Disregard that, no color filters are needed in Sitges...

[this message was edited by HAYATO on Sat 1 Oct 05:25]

PSN: n/a
Wii: NNID:sfried
Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Mon 14 Nov 10:24post reply

Why is Batou not Steven Segal? You had one job.

I don't know how to feel about this other than they seem to be plundering concepts from both GITS movies. Also Aramaki shooting to kill.

nobinobita
1708th Post

"Re(3): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Mon 14 Nov 18:51post reply

quote:
Why is Batou not Steven Segal? You had one job.

I don't know how to feel about this other than they seem to be plundering concepts from both GITS movies. Also Aramaki shooting to kill.

Ah man that made me cringe. Oof! Ah well, it's not for me anyway.

www.art-eater.com

"Re(3): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Tue 15 Nov 00:48post reply

quote:
Why is Batou not Steven Segal?

Because Batou isn't supposed to look like a whale?

nobinobita
1709th Post

"Re(4): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Tue 15 Nov 01:34post reply

quote:

This Stephen Segal movie title works on many levels (probably not all intentional)

www.art-eater.com

"Re(5): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Tue 15 Nov 01:48post reply

quote:

This Stephen Segal movie title works on many levels (probably not all intentional)

What was super weird for me was that shot of Batou without his eye implants. Batou being one of the main characters and looking like a Terminator tough guy often involved in beating people up or shooting people, he nevertheless had a really expressive face! Without irises and pupils to help provide the direction of attention and emotional cues that we're used to seeing in people helped make him really menacing, but how expressive his face was would always be a fun contrast with the Major.

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(6): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Tue 15 Nov 03:35post reply

Kusanagi and her creators may have been whitewashed from the comic, but will she maintain her cavelier approach to cybersex? Stay tuned.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...
nobinobita
1710th Post

"Re(7): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Tue 15 Nov 03:50post reply

quote:
Kusanagi and her creators may have been whitewashed from the comic, but will she maintain her cavelier approach to cybersex? Stay tuned.

I wouldn't mind if they just changed her name and made her white in the movie.
Edge of Tomorrow was fine starring Tom Cruise as an original character. It was actually a great movie!

Having her still named Motoko Kusanagi, but played by Scarjo is downright stupid and insulting.

It also opens up countless overwrought, self important, shallow, conceited, poorly informed, sheltered, American-centric, aggressively aggrivating, ubiquitous conversations about how "well anime characters look white anyway!"

I really wish there were some way to block those from my life. Ohwait, it's called staying off the internet haha!

www.art-eater.com

"Re(8): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Tue 15 Nov 06:03post reply

Now that I think about it I have no idea what I'm supposed to think about when I imagine GitS. Is it the talky, oily perversions that Masamune Shirow draws? The robo-procedural of Stand Alone Complex? The blank stares and basset hounds of Oshii? I don't know, but I'm pretty certain one point of commonality is that the characters are Japanese.

Mosquiton
2223th Post

"Re(8): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Tue 15 Nov 07:15:post reply

quote:
GITS

Forgive my coarse language but holy hell, that Rising-Sun-faced monstrosity is the ******* ugliest Robo-Geisha I have ever seen. Dear god that's repulsive.

Who would let that thing anywhere near them under any circumstance?

Who would see this walk up to them and think that thing is not going to start killing people?

This is some evil-toymaker-looking shit. It might was well be a T-800 without any skin. Horrible aesthetic, so obviously feels like a Western design sense to me... this is some monster lab shit with no connection to any actual culture outside dumbass comic books.

.... did I make this post a couple of months ago?

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Tue 15 Nov 07:45]

Neo0r0chiaku
263th Post

XBL: IAMDC1
STM: dc202styles
Copper Customer

"Re(9): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Tue 15 Nov 08:42post reply

quote:
GITS

Forgive my coarse language but holy hell, that Rising-Sun-faced monstrosity is the ******* ugliest Robo-Geisha I have ever seen. Dear god that's repulsive.

Who would let that thing anywhere near them under any circumstance?

Who would see this walk up to them and think that thing is not going to start killing people?

This is some evil-toymaker-looking shit. It might was well be a T-800 without any skin. Horrible aesthetic, so obviously feels like a Western design sense to me... this is some monster lab shit with no connection to any actual culture outside dumbass comic books.

.... did I make this post a couple of months ago?

Since it looks like it's practically copying the original anime movie, this USA version seems to attract those who have no idea what Ghost In the Shell is or what anime is.

On a good note, Miyazaki is working and designing a new studio ghibli movie. He said he has been working on it for 20 years. Or the idea ofor it.

Long Live I AM!
nobinobita
1711th Post

"Re(9): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Tue 15 Nov 12:49post reply

quote:
Now that I think about it I have no idea what I'm supposed to think about when I imagine GitS. Is it the talky, oily perversions that Masamune Shirow draws? The robo-procedural of Stand Alone Complex? The blank stares and basset hounds of Oshii? I don't know, but I'm pretty certain one point of commonality is that the characters are Japanese.

Major Kusanagi varies a ton in personality depending on the medium. In the comics she's a lot more boisterous and outgoing. In the movies she's steely and cold. In the TV show she's kind of in between.

One commonality though, is that she's supremely confident, intellectually fearless and hellbent on exceeding her own human limits.

This movie will not have that. Instead i predict it will have the usual "I didn't ask for this life!" narrative, with a stupid climax about regaining her lost humanity.

Weird racial issues aside, it's just going to be a crappy movie.

quote:

Bless your heart.

Seriously, this is like if someone wanted to design an American culture android and came up with a cowgirl with the scowling face of somebody's Trump voting aunt with the American flag painted on it.

It's really alarming to me to see how many fans are eating up the crummy visuals on display. Even more disheartening is seeing Oshii being paraded around, forced to say things like "Surely this will be the most looking Ghost in the Shell movie yet."

BARFBARFBARF

www.art-eater.com

"Re(8): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Tue 15 Nov 18:37post reply

Finally saw the trailer - it seemed to go out of its way to replicate famous scenes from the anime, but not being all that familiar with the wider GitS settings and stories, I wonder if there's something that a live-action medium could have handled in a more interesting manner than past entries.
If nothing else, there's some presentation of nudity that doesn't bother to present itself as sexy or anything, just a functional way to get a job done, even if, again, it mostly seems to be referencing famous anime depictions. I'll take my semi-positives where I can find it, even if right now I'm not really convinced to go see the movie (not many movies have got my attention recently at that level, I think the latest were Deadpool and Dr Strange).

Speaking of references to the animated medium - Nobi, have you seen a show in the current anime season called Flip-Flappers? My girlfriend's been getting us to watch that, and while early on I wasn't really impressed (and got a faint yuri vibe from it), it does seem to be quite the artist-driven project, with some really interesting and colorful visuals. Story-wise it only started getting interesting for me at about episode 3 or 4, and it's hard to tell what the story's ultimately leading up to as each episode uses a mcguffin hunt as an excuse for whatever it sets out to do. Also, charming little ED.

...!!
Olivier Hague

189th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Tue 15 Nov 19:40post reply

quote:
Having her still named Motoko Kusanagi, but played by Scarjo is downright stupid and insulting.

I believe they just call her "Major". Hell, she even calls herself "Major", which... Heh.

"Re(10): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Sat 19 Nov 01:38post reply

quote:

It's really alarming to me to see how many fans are eating up the crummy visuals on display. Even more disheartening is seeing Oshii being paraded around, forced to say things like "Surely this will be the most looking Ghost in the Shell movie yet."

BARFBARFBARF

Being a huge Shirow fan and given that the original manga is one of my favorite pieces of sci-fi I've ever read, I think I should refrain from posting my feelings about this botched abortion "live-action adaptation", lest I end up looking like a tinhat lunatic or something worse... but I can't!!

It saddens me to no end to look how shallow sensitivities are regarding aesthetics and faithfulness to foreign source material from which Hollywood takes inspiration nowadays. It's as if only US properties or US-centric stories and historical biopics should be treated with utmost respect, and anything else should submit its aspirations on getting a faithful, respectful adaptation and be content with becoming a repurposed, soulless byproduct tailored to the lowest key denominator of "American Standards".

If that wasn't enough, there's something that worries me even more: how easily this film appeased the most dedicated manga fans and gained momentum amongst them and Blockbuster meatheads just by showing a trailer choked with generic cyberpunk visuals and badly plagiarized shots from an animated film that first-aired more than 20 years ago. If this film ends up being a box office hit, which is almost a given, taking into account teenagers' favourite FatassJo stars in it (and woblling around her cyberlard while stuck into a sexy skin-color spandex suit nonetheless!), the future never looked so grim for both sci-fi and animanga fans... and I wasn't even thinking on Blade Runner 2...

Welcome to the future of film entertainment. Enjoy "Shell without a Ghost: The Movie".

nobinobita
1716th Post

"Re(2):Re(10): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Sat 19 Nov 03:56post reply

quote:

BARFBARFBARF

Being a huge Shirow fan and given that the original manga is one of my favorite pieces of sci-fi I've ever read, I think I should refrain from posting my feelings about this botched abortion "live-action adaptation", lest I end up looking like a tinhat lunatic or something worse... but I can't!!

It saddens me to no end to look how shallow sensitivities are regarding aesthetics and faithfulness to foreign source material from which Hollywood takes inspiration nowadays. It's as if only US properties or US-centric stories and historical biopics should be treated with utmost respect, and anything else should submit its aspirations on getting a faithful, respectful adaptation and be content with becoming a repurposed, soulless byproduct tailored to the lowest key denominator of "American Standards".

If that wasn't enough, there's something that worries me even more: how easily this film appeased the most dedicated manga fans and gained momentum amongst them and Blockbuster meatheads just by showing a trailer choked with generic cyberpunk visuals and badly plagiarized shots from an animated film that first-aired more than 20 years ago. If this film ends up being a box office hit, wh

Bless your heart.

Spoon, you were right. MMCafe IS my echo chamber :D (when we aren't discussing Street Fighter IV or V that is)

www.art-eater.com

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Sat 19 Nov 06:19post reply

quote:
If this film ends up being a box office hit, which is almost a given,

I don't know. I'm not a bit fan of Ghost in the Shell. The trailer does nothing to sell me on the film. Honestly, the trailer makes the film look bad.

More than that, I don't think the trailer is going to be that appealing to general audiences, those that aren't GITS fans. At least not in the US. I could do no more than make wild unfounded guesses at what the worldwide reception will be. I can't say that the film will tank. I can't even find reference to the budget, so I can't say "It's going to lose money." It probably won't because I can't see it actually costing that much money to make. I don't think it will be considered a success by Hollywood standards. (Mind, Hollywood standards are pretty broken even under normal circumstances.)

From a US perspective, the trailer shows a film that looks like a poor adaptation of some other property, or like a made-for-TV/cable flick that was accidentally given the production budget of a full movie theater release. It simply doesn't look like a "made for live action film" property.

Take the nude/stealth suit... Regardless of whether it looks good or bad (though I lean more towards "bad"), it looks out of place in a big budget Western film. It looks cheap. It is far enough from a bare skin look that it fails to sell the nude ScarJo look. It isn't flashy, so it doesn't sell the flashy visuals either. It looks like the production crew just found a cheap full body stocking, one where the color would have no chance of ever being confused for "nude" while simultaneously pretending to cater to the idea of being "nude". It looks like either a made-for-TV choice, or a film that is adhering too strongly to some source material (even though the source material did look "nude", and the manga was certainly selling the sexy image.)

That's the kind of feeling the visuals in the trailer in general give me. The action looks cheap. Batou looks 'made-for-TV', like a guest villain on an episode of Star Trek. Nothing looks like a blockbuster film.

Neo0r0chiaku
265th Post

XBL: IAMDC1
STM: dc202styles
Copper Customer

"Re(3):Re(10): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Sun 20 Nov 02:45post reply

quote:
If this film ends up being a box office hit, which is almost a given,

I don't know. I'm not a bit fan of Ghost in the Shell. The trailer does nothing to sell me on the film. Honestly, the trailer makes the film look bad.

More than that, I don't think the trailer is going to be that appealing to general audiences, those that aren't GITS fans. At least not in the US. I could do no more than make wild unfounded guesses at what the worldwide reception will be. I can't say that the film will tank. I can't even find reference to the budget, so I can't say "It's going to lose money." It probably won't because I can't see it actually costing that much money to make. I don't think it will be considered a success by Hollywood standards. (Mind, Hollywood standards are pretty broken even under normal circumstances.)

From a US perspective, the trailer shows a film that looks like a poor adaptation of some other property, or like a made-for-TV/cable flick that was accidentally given the production budget of a full movie theater release. It simply doesn't look like a "made for live action film" property.

Take the nude/stealth suit... Regardless of whether it looks good or bad (though I lean more towards "bad"), it looks out of place in a big budget Western film. It looks cheap. It is far enough from a bare skin look that it fails to sell the nude ScarJo look. It isn't flashy, so it doesn't sell the flashy visuals either. It looks like the production crew j

I am bit surprised if she turned down from being naked in general during productions for her nude scenes and the producers just CGI her lady parts from actually showing. The payment wasn't high enough but actors these days take their clothes of for anything.

Long Live I AM!
Mosquiton
2227th Post

"Re(4):Re(10): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Sun 20 Nov 05:51:post reply

quote:
All that stuff about the suit and the body that wears it

Well, I'm not a fan of the suit design either, and I kind of assume the only reason they bothered making the suit is to badly copy that one great scene from the animated movie.

I'll be much more impressed if they have the balls to attempt the scene where "Major Major" tears her body apart while trying to wrench the hatch off of a tank. Considering the look of the suit, though, I doubt it's in their budget. That would be truly shocking, IMHO. Finally, an scene that would actually justify the often overused slow-mo effect.

Regarding ScarJo, I would not argue that she is necessarily the right person for the role. I'd have preferred someone else. However, I don't see any need to trash the actress unless it was criticizing her actual performance (which is kind of tough to do from a trailer).

It would be kind of shitty to criticize her for "not doing a good job being naked enough," though. How the character is depicted isn't on her... that's the casting director and the costume designer. Or maybe that's up to the producers. Or the investors, hahah? The writers, meanwhile, program the behavior. ScarJo merely attempts to perform to spec. You can't really blame the shell for looking how it looks, right? That's her body. She's made of meat, as are we all. (Unless there are some rogue AIs on this message board... what ever happened to Onslaught?) And of course, beauty is subjective.

P.S. - What the hell kind of name is "Hanka"? Is it just me or is "Hanka Robotics" easily turned into a joke?

Han is often "half"... so, Half Price Robotics? Half Quality Robotics?

I'd like to see the kanji for that one.

P.P.S. - Batou does look like made-for-TV shit-level cheapness. Very apt observation. Sigh.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Sun 20 Nov 05:54]

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(2):Re(10): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Sun 20 Nov 07:26post reply

quote:
repurposed, soulless byproduct tailored to the lowest key denominator of "American Standards"
Which are getting lower by the day, to say nothing of the exciting new lows that pandering to the undiscerning nouveau riche market in China is bringing!
quote:
Ha, perfect guesses! The hanka that come to mind are indeed "half-price" (半価) or "half-assed" (半可). I will ignore the more likely "prosperity" (繁華).
quote:
Spoon, you were right. MMCafe IS my echo chamber :D (when we aren't discussing Street Fighter IV or V that is)
Oh, never fear, soon, sooooon, you shall come around to my way of thinking...

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...
Olivier Hague

191th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Re(10): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Mon 21 Nov 17:53:post reply

quote:
What the hell kind of name is "Hanka"? Is it just me or is "Hanka Robotics" easily turned into a joke?

That company's name actually comes from the original manga ("阪華精機").

[this message was edited by Olivier Hague on Mon 21 Nov 17:54]

"Re(3):Re(10): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Tue 22 Nov 01:27post reply

quote:

In the end that's why I can't feel much emotion about any possible transgressions in this film. As Maou noted, the live action GitS looks like something designed to make a quick buck in China and other foreign markets. Odds are it's going to end up like that remake of Total Recall; a movie nobody asked for and nobody remembers.

Mosquiton
2228th Post

"Re(6):Re(10): Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION GITS..." , posted Tue 22 Nov 03:49post reply

quote:
What the hell kind of name is "Hanka"? Is it just me or is "Hanka Robotics" easily turned into a joke?

That company's name actually comes from the original manga ("阪華精機").

Ah, that is cool to know. Thanks. Still, I'm sure some dissatisfied customers must have had similar thoughts...

quote:

Odds are it's going to end up like that remake of Total Recall; a movie nobody asked for and nobody remembers.

You're probably right. Still, I am actually becoming more curious about it. I don't think I would pay to see it in a theater, though.

/ / /

"Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION Monster Hunter" , posted Tue 22 Nov 20:22post reply

Yeay.
From the genius that brought us the Resident Evil movies.

For every Monster, there is a Hero. An ordinary man in a dead end job discovers that he is actually the descendant of an ancient hero. He must travel to a mystical world to train to become a Monster Hunter, before the mythical creatures from that world destroy ours.

End of Spoiler

It's very fortunate I don't care about MH, but... sigh.

"Re(1):Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION Monster Hunter" , posted Wed 23 Nov 00:32post reply

In the entertainment industry there are plenty of hucksters and people who are simply in it for the money so the enthusiasm Paul W.S Anderson shows is refreshing. He's genuinely happy to make such lousy movies!

nobinobita
1718th Post

"Re(1):Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION Monster Hunter" , posted Wed 23 Nov 00:51:post reply

quote:
Yeay.

I guess they are going the safe route, hiring someone that's already a known quantity. I just wish they'd think a little bigger. With the Resident Evil director they've assured that they'll have a marginal hit in the US and maybe abroad.

What they should have done is concentrate on China, which is where this movie potentially has the biggest audience. They could have had a bonafide monster hit in China which would then raise interest in the movie in the US and abroad (where lets face it, Monster Hunter was never popular).

Monster Hunter was ridiculously popular in China during the PSP years. I mean, everyone was bootlegging it of course, but it was everywhere. I don't think it's an accident that the second highest grossing movie of all time in China was called Monster Hunt. (not that the actual movie had anything to do with Monster Hunter--good lord those monsters are fugly)

By shooting the film in China they could actually stick to the source material closer instead of having yet another stupid movie about a boring modern every(white)man traveling back in time to become the savior of fantasy Asia. The Chinese are more than capable of putting together a competent action film with cool costumes that would do the job now.

I mean it would be 50/50 that it might suck, vs 100% odds for a Hollywood Monster Hunter flick.

Ideally a Monster Hunter movie would be made in Korea though. Their film industry has been ON FIRE for the last decade.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Wed 23 Nov 01:02]

"Re(1):Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION Monster Hunter" , posted Wed 23 Nov 07:13post reply

quote:
Yeay.

Well, as if the GiTS fiasco wasn't enough, now shit hits the fan once more...

I hate to sound like a grumpy old man once again but, as a moderate MonHun fan myself, I can't find any single good thing about the way they want to approach the franchise.

Back then in 2008, (around the time of MonHun Portable 2nd G was released) I was really into the series. Thanks to the extreme attention to detail Capcom put into it, I remember being enthralled by the series' vibrant presentation and rich lore and thus, I couldn't help to think what such a magnificent fantasy world would look like if translated to a proper Hollywood film.

I always thought that MonHun's universe would be the perfect setting for an action-driven, environmentally conscious adventure film, full of breathtaking visuals, gorgeous natural landscapes and a powerful ecologist message permeating the story, pretty much what other products such as Jean-Jacques Annaud's "The Bear" or Miyazaki Hayao's "Mononoke Hime" delivered back then.

In my naivety, I came to expect a story complying with minimum prerequisites to make it believable (or decent enough to easily achieve suspension of disbelief, at the very least). Something in the line of "Iron Age Random Hunter/ Huntress #5 arrives at a village that, due to unexpected environmental/ climate changes lays under the constant siege of ancient, thought to be extinct vicious beasts" would suffice, I think. Or, perhaps, something along the lines of "Due to an strange ailment threatening his/her village, young Random Hunter/ Huntress wil embark him/herself on a dangerous rite of passage. In order to save his family he/se'll go beyond any place he/she's ever known in search of the fangs of a mythical beast that is said to reign over life and death at the ends of the world" would have been enough for most of the audience... but no, Hollywood had to do it once again. I shoud have known better and abandoned hope the very first moment I heard a MonHun film project was in the works.

Truth be told, I don't see myself as a talented storywriter, but modesty aside, any of those premises above look way better than the crap they pretend to force-feed us. Heck, even if going the modern setting route was such an imperative, there were plenty of options way more creative than the one already chosen. Just pull an Indiana Jones/Quartermain clone and send him/her to Agartha, or put him/her in the middle of Congo after the trail of Mokele-Mbembe or... But, who am I kidding? We are talking about Hollywood, they would manage themselves to make it suck anyway!!

"Re(1):Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION Monster Hunter" , posted Wed 23 Nov 18:58post reply

quote:
Yeay.

I haven't even ever played MH, but all I read about it points to the charm of the game being its ecosystem and the feeling of it feeling like a living world - and apparently Capcom has some policy about not having human characters/hunters representing the franchise when the series is referenced in other games.

Unless the everyman protagonist they're going for has something of a heavy David Attenborough streak in his approach of the world, I guess that spirit will be entirely absent, which is kinda sad.

This kinda reminds me of the one scene I found interesting about the Aliens Vs Predator movie, when at one point a character makes a shield off of a xenomorph's head and spear from its tail - maybe they'll manage to sneak in something like that in the MH movie, which would actually be appropriate for how the game apparently plays out...

...!!

"Re(2):Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION Monster Hunter" , posted Wed 23 Nov 19:16post reply

I don't know what's the worst: having a generic white American male as the hero (from the guys whose film's only quality was to have a female European lead) or the fact that it's set in modern time, so like Transformers, it will be about modern people running around between buildings for most of the movie and you'll see the creature you paid to see only 20 minutes max.

nobinobita
1720th Post

"Re(3):Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION Monster Hunter" , posted Wed 23 Nov 19:39post reply

quote:
I don't know what's the worst: having a generic white American male as the hero (from the guys whose film's only quality was to have a female European lead) or the fact that it's set in modern time, so like Transformers, it will be about modern people running around between buildings for most of the movie and you'll see the creature you paid to see only 20 minutes max.

Even as a little kid I instinctively knew that this kind of approach to storytelling was a copout. Like the live action He-Man movie. I was SO ANGRY that it took place in the "real" world (thought it did have cool costumes designed by Moebius and William Stout).

I think the reason they're doing this is two-fold

1) It saves money. You don't have to spend as much building new sets and creating an entirely new world.

2) They saw how World of Warcraft bombed HARD in the USA and probably assumed that it was because it was too obtuse and hard to follow. It was too alienating and foreign to an audience not familiar with the lore. So the easiest way to address this is to put in your generic modern white guy that Americans can relate to. And better yet, have it take place in OUR world!

This of course is the wrong lesson to learn from WoW (which did ok abroad anyhow). It wasn't unrelatable because it took place in a fantasy world (so did LOTR and Star Wars etc). It was unrelatable to a mainstream audience because it had unengaging characters and uninteresting relationships between them.

www.art-eater.com
nobinobita
1721th Post

"Re(2):Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION Monster Hunter" , posted Wed 23 Nov 20:04post reply

quote:
Yeay.

Well, as if the GiTS fiasco wasn't enough, now shit hits the fan once more...

I hate to sound like a grumpy old man once again but, as a moderate MonHun fan myself, I can't find any single good thing about the way they want to approach the franchise.

Back then in 2008, (around the time of MonHun Portable 2nd G was released) I was really into the series. Thanks to the extreme attention to detail Capcom put into it, I remember being enthralled by the series' vibrant presentation and rich lore and thus, I couldn't help to think what such a magnificent fantasy world would look like if translated to a proper Hollywood film.

I always thought that MonHun's universe would be the perfect setting for an action-driven, environmentally conscious adventure film, full of breathtaking visuals, gorgeous natural landscapes and a powerful ecologist message permeating the story, pretty much what other products such as Jean-Jacques Annaud's "The Bear" or Miyazaki Hayao's "Mononoke Hime" delivered back then.

In my naivety, I came to expect a story complying with minimum prerequisites to make it believable (or decent enough to easily achieve suspension of disbelief, at the very least).

Your story outline is infinitely more engaging than what they're gonna come up with. Having an environmental angle would actually work well for this film too. Good lord, can you imagine if it had even an ounce of the depth that Mononoke Hime had in regards to making a statement about the relationship between civilization and nature?? It could be an ACTUALLY GOOD movie!

I think people actually really need this kind of message out there right now too considering the current state of the world, especially considering how it's very likely the US will soon try to renege on all sorts of environmental pacts meant to stave off the destruction of the earth.

www.art-eater.com

"Re(3):Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION Monster Hunter" , posted Thu 24 Nov 00:45post reply

ENJOY

Yeah, it's nothing more than a blatant shopped collage, but yet a reminder of things to come...

End of Spoiler

Lord SNK

197th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION Monster Hunter" , posted Thu 24 Nov 04:22post reply

quote:
ENJOY

With more U.S. Army it will be perfect.

"Re(5):Meanwhile, LIVE ACTION Monster Hunter" , posted Thu 24 Nov 18:48post reply

quote:
ENJOY

With more U.S. Army it will be perfect.

Then it'd be a more American Reign of Fire, which is basically dragons vs. modern military with a post-apocalyptic streak, which in the very least is interesting for existing. I guess whatever made it tick is at least improvable and less risky ground than going for MH's "awe of Nature" tone that coexists with its "meets interesting creatures, kill them and make as much use of their deadly remains as possible to keep doing just that" gameplay, something that might create a bit of a mixed message for the move passive audience of a 2-hour movie.

I do wonder, is there some sort of overarching story to the MH games, beyond "villages trying to survive in the middle of a harsh natural environment (and player characters doing most of the fighting back)"?

...!!