user profileedit/delete message
PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):OTAKON: FINAL ROUND" , posted Fri 12 Aug 09:45:post reply

Woah! That speaks to the sad state of Baltimore's center, I guess. Too bad, I was somehow in Baltimore one time for an Otakon in 2003 and the Inner Harbor area seemed to be the nicest part of the city. In a mere set of hours, I managed to attend a live TM Revolution concert there for next to nothing AND see noise rock legends Guitar Wolf destroy a zombie legion in a showing of the magnificent Wild Zero. I guess the DC move fills in the gap left by Katsucon---I had no idea they'd moved, either.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 12 Aug 09:45]

red falcon
6230th Post

PSN: Rugalbgood
XBL: RugalBGood
Wii: Doesitmatter?
CFN: n/a

"Re(1):OTAKON: FINAL ROUND" , posted Tue 16 Aug 19:51post reply

quote:
...well, in Baltimore, anyway.

Anyone else making it out?

Don’t live in the US these days...ww

"Re(2):OTAKON: FINAL ROUND" , posted Wed 17 Aug 13:21post reply

quote:
...well, in Baltimore, anyway.

Anyone else making it out?
Don’t live in the US these days...ww

And Rugal's use of the deadly MS Mincho font proves it! How many official documents and powerpoints have I tried to steer back into the realms of Times, Century, Garamond...?

In other news, how was Otakon: Fated Battle?

PSN: Drakee
XBL: eccothedolphin
CFN: eccothedolphin
Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"GAME OVER" , posted Thu 18 Aug 06:17post reply

quote:
And Rugal's use of the deadly MS Mincho font proves it! How many official documents and powerpoints have I tried to steer back into the realms of Times, Century, Garamond...?

In other news, how was Otakon: Fated Battle?

It was a good time! Sad to never see the inside of the BCC again, more than likely, I'm gonna miss that place more than I've missed most apartments I've lived in...

Met a lot of Twitter people, had some fun times, almost died from the disgusting heat + humidity. Game room was kind of a letdown this year- very heavy on recent arcade cabinets, almost entirely lacking in "retro" stuff. Makes me long for the days of that place being lousy with CRTs with Saturns and PS2s hooked up with all manner of strange stuff, weird arcade boards (though I suspect Red Falcon had a lot to do with much of that!), and so on, and so forth. Highlight was playing Project Diva Future Tone on the extremely expensive home controller. That and standing around to play fighting games behind a line of folks with heinous BO who have no idea what "winner stays" means.

Dealer's room was baffling- almost every booth had the same stuff! I have a feeling that the presence of Good Smile Company and Bandai Tamashii Nations in official capacity in recent years has caused a huge crackdown on bootlegs, so you don't see any extremely suspicious "too old and cheap to be here" figures. Beyond a couple old Miku Nendoroids, nothing set off warning signs for me. That's good!

...but table after table of recently-released figures at the same markup everywhere and the heaps of discounted UFO catcher prizes was kinda dull.

Artist's Alley was nice, but as usual the crowds and the walls of fanart make it hard to find the gems- I had to mostly use Twitter to find people talking about what was interesting then go seek it out myself.

Fan and industry panels were both pretty solid. Autograph lines were a joke, after all these years nobody running the show seems to know how to manage a queue- I failed to get Lisa Ortiz to sign my old Slayers dub VHS tape, unfortunately. Maybe someday...

All in all, fun time. Gonna miss it. Not sure if I'll show up for DC... kinda over late summer cons, I think? Too much sweating for an already-fragrant fanbase.

Also, tell me I'm not crazy- that year they screened Wild Zero... were they playing a German dub at some point? Or for all of it? Have I been imagining that all these years? I remember them having subtitle problems that looked like morse code, but we were all underage drunk and yelling shit so who knows...

"Re(1):GAME OVER" , posted Thu 18 Aug 10:36post reply

Good job witnessing the hard-boiled wonderland at the end of the world (in BCC)! It never occured to me, meanwhile, that Rugal's rumoredly insane arcade board collection was literally powering the festivities at previous Otakons.
quote:

Also, tell me I'm not crazy- that year they screened Wild Zero... were they playing a German dub at some point? Or for all of it? Have I been imagining that all these years? I remember them having subtitle problems that looked like morse code, but we were all underage drunk and yelling shit so who knows...
Oh man! It was such a psychedelic day that I cannot be sure! Wild Zero was a total, blessed accident: I saw that TMR was playing and that it would cost me a mere 15 bucks or so to go to Otakon (it's true that you can see most Japanese bands at a fraction of the cost in the US...X Japan in Oakland for 35 bucks?!?!), so we hauled ass to Baltimore to see him. We were already electrified afterwards, but my zombie-loving friend dragged me to Wild Zero which turned out to be magnificent.

The whole experience there is a rock and roll haze, so maybe they DID accidentally start with the German version first? By the time we showed up, it was in Japanese but I remember being distracted by the loopy but wonderful English subtitles. Our lords and savio(u)rs Guitar Wolf would pep-talk hapless punch-permed hero Ace to fight zombies with the power of rock and roll, saying "Ace, yacchimae!" ("Ace, dooooooo it!") but saw it flash below as "Ace, rock and roll!" We still say this all the time.

I do recall that the audience went INSANE when Guitar Wolf's guitarist pulled a katana out of his guitar and cut the zombie spaceship in two. If that sounds familiar, we might've been there with you!