user profileedit/delete message

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Neo Geo Prototype Game" , posted Sun 10 Apr 12:17post reply

Just curious, but does anyone know anything about this game that popped up on neo-geo.com?

Replies:

Gojira
3197th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(1):Neo Geo Prototype Game" , posted Sun 10 Apr 18:51post reply

Wow, that's really interesting.

It kind of looks like a Sunsoft game to me. Mostly because of the finished sprite art being strongly shaded but lacking outlines, and the text font used, both of which resemble Galaxy Fight. The pre-rendered backgrounds are something I don't recall ever seeing Sunsoft do, though, so I could be completely off the mark.

nobinobita
1577th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Neo Geo Prototype Game" , posted Mon 11 Apr 00:30post reply

quote:
Just curious, but does anyone know anything about this game that popped up on neo-geo.com?

Here's another look at the game from the excellent Jeremy Parish. Videos included!

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/a-mysterious-neo-geo-prototype-hits-the-web

THIS IS SO COOL

www.art-eater.com

nobinobita
1578th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Neo Geo Prototype Game" , posted Mon 11 Apr 01:22post reply

quote:

Here's another look at the game from the excellent Jeremy Parish. Videos included!

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/a-mysterious-neo-geo-prototype-hits-the-web

THIS IS SO COOL

The character art in this game is reminiscent of the work of Hiroyuki Ochi (越智博之) who was involved in a lot of cool anime like Armitage III, Sol Bianca, Genesis Survivor Gaiarth, the Bastard!! OAVs etc. He was also the main character designer for Burning Rangers. I really really love how he draws.

I'm not sure if he was involved in this game though. More likely it was someone drawing in his style, which would have been quite influential at the time.

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
3312th Post

"Re(3):Neo Geo Prototype Game" , posted Mon 11 Apr 10:22post reply

Think about all of the games that have gotten cancelled before ever getting shown to the public! Cancelled for all kinds of reasons: game wasn't good enough, publisher wasn't confident enough, company ran out of money, key people dropped out, etc.

It's nice to see something surface, even maybe 2 decades after the fact, of something that had some quality to it. It would be interesting to see if any of the former staff of that game come forward to talk about it.

Fun historical speculation notes:
- Capcom's Dungeons and Dragons beat em up game released in 1994.
- Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer (what the board initially appeared to be) release date was 1995.

Micky Kusanagi
142th Post

PSN: MickyKusanagi
CFN: MickyKusanagi

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Neo Geo Prototype Game" , posted Tue 12 Apr 06:04post reply

...such a wonderful find. I'm crazy for Japanized D&D fantasy. Looks like this game was shaping up great artistically, especially backgrounds are gorgeous. The alignment system sounds deeper than the Shura/Rasetsu thing from SS, but this proto is too incomplete to judge it, it's just the impression I got from what I read. I really, really hope a more advanced build is out there, it would make things even more amazing than they already are...unless the alignment system was making the project too costly and long, which is the only cause of cancellation I could think of now.

Ore no...kachi da!!

Orochi Yamazaki
7th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Neo Geo Prototype Game" , posted Tue 12 Apr 12:24post reply

What an interesting discovery! It's amazing to actually see unreleased fighting games and to know that there are games out there that have had time and effort put into them, and no one has seen... is a little sad (though understandable).

I personally love the artistic direction here. Similar to what Micky Kusanagi said, I find Japanese D&D very fascinating. The Alignment system was a damn good idea, and a way to make a fighting game system out of the alignment rules in D&D (I might have played some D&D before, might have).

Going through the thread at neo-geo forums, there are a few videos that the OP posted, for those that want to see it in motion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvc04Au2cZw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAh9_aYKBEg

The game moves decently fast and it's gameplay doesn't look too aged, so one has to wonder when this game was in development. I'm guessing, say around 2000s?

LEGENOARYNINLIA
467th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Neo Geo Prototype Game" , posted Tue 12 Apr 16:02post reply

I really love the backgrounds, the shading on the characters and even the size of the character sprites. It makes everything look so solid even though it's still so unfinished and raw. Hopefully the wizard who made those backgrounds steps up.

In one of the videos someone said that Galaxy Fight is a pile of garbage. That made me sad for a second. But then I realised that person is a pile of garbage.

~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
videograpple.tumblr.com/

Ishmael
5439th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(6):Neo Geo Prototype Game" , posted Wed 13 Apr 01:09post reply

quote:
The game moves decently fast and it's gameplay doesn't look too aged, so one has to wonder when this game was in development. I'm guessing, say around 2000s?

My guess would be maybe 1995/96? Perhaps this game was an attempt to build on the Shura/Rasetsu system from SS3. As Mickey said, once they realized they were trying to essentially make 30+ characters for a debut game they realized the whole thing was more trouble than it was worth. Then again, this is all speculation until someone from the production team steps forward.

Neo0r0chiaku
163th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: dc202styles

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Neo Geo Prototype Game" , posted Wed 13 Apr 02:13:post reply

Some updates from that forum:
quote:

Apparently, this is not a Technos game, An ex-FACE producer said that this was an outsourced project in 97 called Dragon's Heaven that was put on hold. He believes that ex-Technos staff may have worked on it as FACE did not have any fighter expertise.

幻となったテクノスジャパン作品か? ジャンク基板から謎のNEO-GEO用ゲームが発見される
Edit:
Thanks Mikey. I fixed it now.

Long Live I AM!

[this message was edited by Neo0r0chiaku on Wed 13 Apr 06:39]

Micky Kusanagi
145th Post

PSN: MickyKusanagi
CFN: MickyKusanagi

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Neo Geo Prototype Game" , posted Wed 13 Apr 05:23post reply

Thank you ne0r0, the story goes on ^^ Do you mind if I correct your link? It got broken somehow...

http://nlab.itmedia.co.jp/nl/articles/1604/11/news145.html

Ore no...kachi da!!