Original message (1563 Views )

HokutoAndy
99th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"The state of Giant Robots in gaming" , posted Fri 12 Feb 13:32post reply

Recently came across an indie game in development in Bangkok, Dual Gear:

https://www.indiegogo.com/at/dualgear

Looks like a mixture of Front Mission and Valkyria Chronicles.

I then had a conversation with a coworker on "Why DID S-E stop making Front Mission games?".

So, what's the last giant robot game y'all have played? For me it's Armored Hunter Gunhound EX, another indie mecha game I bumped into (on Playism), plays like Assault Suits.

Replies:

Maou
3070th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):The state of Giant Robots in gaming" , posted Fri 12 Feb 14:00:post reply

quote:
I then had a conversation with a coworker on "Why DID S-E stop making Front Mission games?".

I recall a pal of mine playing a LOT of Front Mission Alternative and maybe 2, but I distinctly remember 3 being a disappointment for him...I think the system was bad. Can't have helped the series.

I remember a different pal playing a LOT of Super Robot Taisen in the late 1990's, and like Front Mission, the contrast between then and now may owe to the level of energy around giant robots in general. Having multiple high-profile Gundam series, Evangelion, and god knows what else in the 1990's probably also influenced the state of giant robots in a positive way. The only truly major giant robot game I'm aware of now is Xenoblade, and that's a holdover from Square having made a (really neat) Evangelion clone in, again, the 1990's.

I've mentioned it before, but one impressive showing that caught my eye is Astebreed. I'd like to play it. Sure, it's a shooter where the ship happens to be a giant robot, but still.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 12 Feb 14:03]

Loona
1001th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):The state of Giant Robots in gaming" , posted Sat 13 Feb 00:12post reply

I haven't actually played anything mecha-specific in recent times, but I can't help but think what it would take in terms of gameplay design and controls to make something like the Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 opening something actually playable without relying on QTEs... maybe a blend of Platinum Games sensibilities and whatever enables the variety of abilities in stuff like the Lego superhero games...

...!!

chazumaru
1635th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):The state of Giant Robots in gaming" , posted Sat 13 Feb 13:26post reply

quote:

The last few episodes sold under expectations and SQEX did not see potential for growth. The main guy behind the series (Toshiro Tsuchida) left for GREE during the Great Exodus of 2011 back when GREE was going to kill Nintendo and rule over the World. Since we are presently living in the bizarre alternate timeline branching where this did not exactly happen according to plan, last I heard he was producing browser games for DMM.com.

quote:
So, what's the last giant robot game y'all have played?

GAGANGUN! Well, you never specified video game. They showed Votoms model recently.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
3234th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):The state of Giant Robots in gaming" , posted Sun 14 Feb 12:43post reply

quote:
I recall a pal of mine playing a LOT of Front Mission Alternative and maybe 2, but I distinctly remember 3 being a disappointment for him...I think the system was bad. Can't have helped the series.

Ironically, FM3 is considered the seminal Front Mission game in the West, because it was the first one to be localized. It certainly wasn't a BAD game, though it wasn't as experimental gameplay-wise as FM Alternative. It was however very ambitious in the scope of its gameplay content, what with its two scenarios, its faux-internet, the large number of cutscenes and pseudo-overworld, etc.

Indeed, FM4 had a rather chilly reception in the West in spite of its generally superior gameplay mechanics and impressive-if-very-grey graphics because of how much narrower the scope of the game was. FM3 is a game where you could eject pilots from their Wanzers and then steal their Wanzers after killing the pilot. FM4 is a game where these is no such thing as pilot ejection and it's all about union/chain attacks. FM4 had substantially superior voice acting than FM3, too!

FM5 was never released in the West, but gameplay-wise it is a direct successor to FM4. It's a bigger game than FM4, with new cool mechanics, conversations between missions, pilots to assign as well as mechs to customize, etc.

FM Evolved sank the franchise as far as I can tell. It was where Square contracted out Double Helix to make a 3rd person shooter, and the reception was poor everywhere. FM fans didn't get the strategic game they wanted, non-FM fans just found a clunky TPS at a time when the genre was entering its peak, what with Gears of War carrying the X360 in the West.

quote:

I've mentioned it before, but one impressive showing that caught my eye is Astebreed. I'd like to play it. Sure, it's a shooter where the ship happens to be a giant robot, but still.

Astebreed is not a bad shooting game at all, a little on the easy side if you are not a hardcore score-attacker, but the feeling of being a giant robot is not there at all in the game. Like, if somebody told me that in the whole game I was just a human-sized robot suit, it wouldn't have made a lick of difference in the overall gameplay experience.

The most Super Robot (i.e. powered by hot blood and burning passion and sense of justice etc.) game I have recently played is The Wonderful 101. In spite of there being plenty of gameplay parts where you are supposedly a giant giant robot that play just like when you are a normal-sized person, the game does a lot to remind you about "hey remember when this was HUGE and you were TINY and now you're in the thing that's HUGE but you're STILL TINY!", which is critically different between it and Astebreed.

The younger-than-3-years-old game featuring giant robots I have recently played is EDF 4.1, which simultaneously features some of the most and least satisfying giant robot punching I have ever gotten to experience.

I'm frankly surprised/disappointed that there aren't more giant robots in mobile games. Giant robots have been popular for pretty much forever, lend themselves to a huge number of different genres (real-time and otherwise) and levels of production value, allows for all kinds of animation and content conveniences in either 2D or 3D, etc. etc. etc.

HokutoAndy
100th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):The state of Giant Robots in gaming" , posted Tue 16 Feb 14:07post reply

Holy cow GaGaGaGun looks amazing, I was watching the first video thinking "would be cool if..." and then VOTOMS yeah!!

I've been looking at Fantasy Flight's turn based X-Wing/Tie Fighter tabletop game and seeing a "live action" tabletop game is really exciting. Do they plan on making different 'classes' of mecha? Like a mobile armor or weapons with different ranges?