badoor
447th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341

Gold Customer

"KOFGCC Dubai tournament" , posted Sat 21 Nov 23:56post reply

Hi there. I hope I don't sound too much like a shill but I'm sure this would interest you guys.

So some friends of mine are organizing a Fighting Game tournament (KOFGCC Dubai) scheduled for next month in Dubai, UAE (on Christmas weekend, nonetheless). This same group (KOFGCC) have organized a bunch of tournaments across the Arab Gulf (or GCC), with tournaments in Oman and Qatar, but this upcoming one will definitely be the biggest yet. The main focus is obviously KOF (XIII in particular) but they've been adding more games each tournament. And this upcoming one will additionally have Guilty Gear Xrd, Ultra SF4, Smash Wii U and even 3rd Strike played on arcade cabs, which is pretty cool. There's also gonne be side-tournaments for DOA5LR and Tekken Tag 2.

And what's also exciting is that it will feature visiting players. KOF XIII EVO Winners Xiao Hai and MadKOF are expected to come to the tourney, along with many other players across the region, like ON.Freezer from Morocco. It's gonna be a fun time watching professional international players compete with the best from local scenes. Anyway, I'm planing to go there and try my luck at KOF XIII, GG Xrd, and DOA5LR. It should be a fun time. And yes, matches will be streamed/uploaded to Youtube. If you wanna watch some of the stuff from the last few tourneys you should find them in the official Youtube page linked below.

Main website
Twitter account
Youtube

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/

Replies:

Iggy
10050th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P - THE FOOL

"Re(1):KOFGCC Dubai tournament" , posted Sun 22 Nov 03:31post reply

That looks nice! Will try to watch when it starts.

(why do people keep using the terrible artworks from SF3 Online instead of the original ones, I will never understand).

badoor
448th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):KOFGCC Dubai tournament" , posted Sun 22 Nov 07:03post reply

quote:
(why do people keep using the terrible artworks from SF3 Online instead of the original ones, I will never understand).

I have no idea. It's doubly confusing considering that they won't be playing that version anyway, but on the arcade original. And thanks for your interest.

nobinobita
1509th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):KOFGCC Dubai tournament" , posted Sun 22 Nov 07:21post reply

Thanks for the heads up! I've told all my friends who like to watch tournaments about it.

quote:

Bless your heart. Don't ever change.

www.art-eater.com

Ishmael
5322th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):KOFGCC Dubai tournament" , posted Mon 23 Nov 01:20post reply

Sounds good! I don't know if I'll be able to watch it live but I'll certainly check it out.

badoor
455th Post

Gold Customer

"Update: Commentary news" , posted Tue 22 Dec 20:57post reply

So hey, tournament should be coming soon (this weekend in fact) but I also got confirmation that I will be doing commentary for Guilty Gear Xrd. Plan was initially for someone else but they couldn't make it. So yeah, should be a good amount of fun and terrifying since I never did commentary before. I'll share twitch links as soon as we have a clear schedule.

Professor
4707th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Update: Commentary news" , posted Wed 23 Dec 17:41:post reply

quote:
So hey, tournament should be coming soon (this weekend in fact) but I also got confirmation that I will be doing commentary for Guilty Gear Xrd. Plan was initially for someone else but they couldn't make it. So yeah, should be a good amount of fun and terrifying since I never did commentary before. I'll share twitch links as soon as we have a clear schedule.

That'll be interesting, have fun on your first time on the mic!
Out of curiousity, how popular is Xrd in Dubai?

Also, best of luck on your KOF13 tournament entry; you get to face one of the world's best players in the second round!

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 23 Dec 17:43]

badoor
456th Post

Gold Customer

"Update: streaming schedule" , posted Wed 23 Dec 20:50post reply

quote:

Also, best of luck on your KOF13 tournament entry; you get to face one of the world's best players in the second round!

Oh haha yeah, I just checked the brackets and it looks like I may face Xiao Hai at the second round, getting kicked out of winners bracket by him should be quite the experiance.

As for Xrd, it has a decent following, but from what I've seen, there are less entrants in it than KOF XIII and Ultra SF4, probably because both games have well-known international players getting in, which attracts people from the region, while Xrd only has Haitani, who is probably coming to the tournament for USF4 anyway and is getting into Xrd on the side.

That said, the situation is probably different on the more casual end. Anime fighting games like Xrd attract, well, fans of Anime. It's an aesthetic and style that resonates with people, particularly younger demographics. So I know Xrd probably has more players than KOF, but they don't all try to seek local competition and probably find that online play suits their needs, unlike KOF players, who if they're still playing KOF, they probably always try to go to gatherings and whatnot (it helps that KOF has mostly had really bad online netcode, aside from the steam versions). I'm sure you all know that KOF has had trouble attracting the younger crowds for a while now, and honestly, as hopeful as I am about KOFXIV, I'm not sure that will change things in that aspect.

Also, the streaming and general tournament schedule is up.

nobinobita
1534th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Update: streaming schedule" , posted Thu 24 Dec 14:11post reply

quote:

Oh haha yeah, I just checked the brackets and it looks like I may face Xiao Hai at the second round, getting kicked out of winners bracket by him should be quite the experiance.

As for Xrd, it has a decent following, but from what I've seen, there are less entrants in it than KOF XIII and Ultra SF4, probably because both games have well-known international players getting in, which attracts people from the region, while Xrd only has Haitani, who is probably coming to the tournament for USF4 anyway and is getting into Xrd on the side.

That said, the situation is probably different on the more casual end. Anime fighting games like Xrd attract, well, fans of Anime. It's an aesthetic and style that resonates with people, particularly younger demographics. So I know Xrd probably has more players than KOF, but they don't

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Good luck on your tournament performance and color commentary! That's really exciting!

www.art-eater.com

Gojira
3162th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(2):Update: streaming schedule" , posted Sat 26 Dec 08:10:post reply

Good luck! Wish I could watch the stream from here but my folks have the worst internet in the universe (and my niece steals what little bandwidth there is) so I'll have to settle for the youtube uploads.

Also, MERRY~

quote:

I imagine because there are no hi-res versions of the in-game art floating around aside from some rough sketches. If it exists anywhere out there I would LOVE to have an artbook or hi-res scans of the ending art from 3s.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sat 26 Dec 08:15]

Ishmael
5357th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a

"Re(1):Update: Commentary news" , posted Wed 6 Jan 10:28post reply

quote:

So how do you feel the commentary gig went? Being knowledgeable and engaging while constantly sorting out what's happening on the screen can't be an easy trick.

badoor
459th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Update: Commentary news" , posted Thu 7 Jan 21:29post reply

quote:

So how do you feel the commentary gig went? Being knowledgeable and engaging while constantly sorting out what's happening on the screen can't be an easy trick.

It worked out great. First day of commentating was a bit of a mess but things got better the next day with top 8. I think the toughest part is how to balance between talking about stuff that's current and happening in real-time vs trying to explain in-depth something that happened a few seconds ago, especially hard when I'm explaining a move-property or a setup and I take like 10 seconds to do that, then a big combo happens and I just end up having to drop the explanation to talk about it. It helps that I had a good friend who was commentating with me who's been a Guilty Gear player way longer than me. I might do this again in the future, haha.

But if you're curious, the Top 8 Guilty Gear Xrd matches were uploaded to Youtube, along with KOF XIII, Ultra SF4, and Smash for Wii U