chazumaru
1558th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Super MadMan Maker" , posted Mon 28 Sep 14:18post reply

About Mario Maker.

4972-0000-0078-E1AF 悪魔城ドラクッパ ~BOWSERVANIA~

I am really proud of this one.
Took me 12 hours straight to create/tune/complete myself.
I thought it was 1AM right now, not 6AM...

My favorite stage so far:
249C-0000-0067-A2D3 Aperture Science
As you can guess, it's a Portal-inspired stage. Incredibly clever (ex. using the Miiverse feature to replace GladOS), nice homage but with a genuine Mario twist, visually outstanding as well. It also follows the Mario mantra of one idea per level, instead of going in all directions / including too many mechanics (my level above is actually guilty of not following this principle, as it tries to convey a condensed "full game" experience). And it's not too hard; I think almost any player can finish it as long as they know all the actions they can do with that specific weapon. But it's not too easy either. It's perfect.

I also have a soft spot for this one:
B5D7-0000-005E-9CDA Airship Acrobatics
It's way less polished, but it does have that feeling of condensed adventure, it remains focussed, and besides the Final Boss (really tough), it has a great learning curve. I died probably 100+ times trying to finish this one. Less than 1% of us made it! The lack of checkpoint made it feel like playing an old arcade action game like Blue's Journey or Chiki Chiki Boys. It's the fun I had playing this level over and over that inspired me to create an old school Castlevania adventure.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Replies:

Spoon
3064th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Super MadMan Maker" , posted Tue 29 Sep 01:23post reply

Is there any way for people who don't have SMM to preview levels from it? Say on the web?

I feel like that would be a really cool sharing feature. Imagine being able to look at a SMM level on your phone! SMS = Super Mario Service.

Maou
2903th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

"Re(2):Super MadMan Maker" , posted Tue 29 Sep 02:04post reply

Am I a criminal for wanting to buy Super Madman Mario Maker purely as a means to play other people's levels? I certainly cannot be bothered to construct anything on my own, as all my great creations were achieved in Lego form at age 12, but I would play levels by Chaz, Miyamoto, Igarashi, etc.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Maese
781th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Super MadMan Maker" , posted Tue 29 Sep 11:52post reply

quote:
Am I a criminal for wanting to buy Super Madman Mario Maker purely as a means to play other people's levels? I certainly cannot be bothered to construct anything on my own, as all my great creations were achieved in Lego form at age 12, but I would play levels by Chaz, Miyamoto, Igarashi, etc.

We are partners in crime, then! I'm seriously considering buying a WiiU just to play MadMan Mario Maker levels for hours on end. Bonus points if they have been created with the Super Mario World skin set, of course.

chazumaru
1561th Post

"Re(4):Super MadMan Maker" , posted Tue 29 Sep 19:33post reply

I think it's fairly normal and I assume a minority but nevertheless significant share of SMM users are simply players and not creators. In fact, I think it's crucial this type of consumer enjoys the game and grows, to create a healthy cycle between providers and consumers. Consumers are also active because they become enablers (the more stars you receive from players, the more stages you can upload) and curators (stages they liked/rewarded influence the "next stage" recommendation pool at the end of stage).

Think of it as a good karaoke party; it cannot simply feature competitive good singers; it also needs followers who enjoy being in the room, and people who suggest the right songs for everyone to sing along. Otherwise, if only creators are active, what they will play and reward with will change over time and begin to reward stages for other reasons than "are they fun to play" (that's also why the stage charts are currently biased towards clever automated levels, which impress stage creators more than it entertain regular Mario players). This will have a negative impact on growth of the community.

So it's actually really important players like you guys feel welcomed and feel there is value for money in playing a Mario game designed by the equivalent of Drunk Internet. I can't answer if you will find the appropriate value for the money you spent but I hope this threads helps.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
3068th Post

"Re(5):Super MadMan Maker" , posted Wed 30 Sep 02:15post reply

quote:
I think it's fairly normal and I assume a minority but nevertheless significant share of SMM users are simply players and not creators. In fact, I think it's crucial this type of consumer enjoys the game and grows, to create a healthy cycle between providers and consumers. Consumers are also active because they become enablers (the more stars you receive from players, the more stages you can upload) and curators (stages they liked/rewarded influence the "next stage" recommendation pool at the end of stage).

Think of it as a good karaoke party; it cannot simply feature competitive good singers; it also needs followers who enjoy being in the room, and people who suggest the right songs for everyone to sing along. Otherwise, if only creators are active, what they will play and reward with will change over time and begin to reward stages for other reasons than "are they fun to play" (that's also why the stage charts are currently biased towards clever automated levels, which impress stage creators more than it entertain regular Mario players). This will have a negative impact on growth of the community.

So it's actually really important players like you guys feel welcomed and feel there is value for money in playing a Mario game designed by the equivalent of Drunk Internet. I can't answer if you will find the appropriate value for the money you spent but I hope this threads helps.

The strictly consumer perspective I like to think of as like the greater internet, place where millions of people post interesting creations and millions more post nothing.

Imagine if somebody only lurks on a forum.
Let's say the forum is named "NNCafe".
It's entirely possible that they get a lot of value out of just consuming funny things on NNCafe without ever making a post on it.
It's also possible that without creatively participating in NNCafe, they find that they aren't getting value out of it.

Creating in-game economies about consumer participation in the market such that "value" can be created through their participation (e.g. the item economies in DOTA2/TF2 that allow players who are not creators to get hats of various artificial scarcity that they can trade with others, players can vote on hats made by others for official inclusion, etc.) is a big step and one which makes a lot of sense from many perspectives.

kofoguz
1192th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(4):Super MadMan Maker" , posted Wed 30 Sep 08:56post reply

quote:

We are partners in crime, then! I'm seriously considering buying a WiiU just to play MadMan Mario Maker levels for hours on end. Bonus points if they have been created with the Super Mario World skin set, of course.

I am also considering buying a wiiu for this game but the financial situation that I am in I might have to wait till the console is dead,a zombie, a skeleton. Which is shame cause I would like to create and suggest (in honour of Iggy's blood moon 10000 posts ritual) stages that dedicated to Mmcafes milestone moments, posts and members, like may be involvement of Skullgirls, Tiercharts, etc... I don't know how exactly but I have some ideas and wanna see if they're applicable.

chazumaru
1562th Post

"Re(5):Super MadMan Maker" , posted Wed 30 Sep 20:42post reply

This one was cute:
6DAC-0000-007D-E4D1 Dr. Lobes' Memory mansion

The game has now passed 1 million sales and 2.2 million levels uploaded.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Gieflos
106th Post

PSN: pooplos-z
XBL: PooplosZ

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Super MadMan Maker" , posted Wed 30 Sep 23:19post reply

When I started playing I was very into making but I've become drawn into finding good stages to play. I do wish the search engine/voting system was a bit better but I understand that most people are gonna be mesmerized by automatic Mario and crazy hard stages.

Please give my stages a shot if you'd like!

1B87-0000-0022-18B0

83D3-0000-0048-DC14

They definitely lean towards Metroid/La Mulana but I hope you enjoy them. I've been trying to make a solid "Mario" feeling level. It's hard! It's easier to make a hard stage, it's been very difficult to make a good stage.

Hope to check out some of the cafe's stages as well!

chazumaru
1566th Post

"Re(7):Super MadMan Maker" , posted Sun 4 Oct 18:12post reply

Gieflos, I like your stages! Especially the second one. Nice, compact structure. Here are a few more stages I enjoyed recently:
1B83-0000-003F-FD1E "Silent Hills"
7103-0000-0032-FDD2 Potty humour.
E890-0000-004B-124B A stage playing with gravity and mirror levels. Ah, I had a similar idea...
4F5E-0000-005F-D874 A cute adventure by the art director of Braid.
3E7F-0000-0066-14D1 Bullet Bills everywhere.
3E4F-0000-007A-A0F1 "3-3 Quick Quest", what it says on the tin.

And here is a new one from me! Much less harrowing than the previous stage I made.

C698-0000-0089-3D42 THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOROK

Yes, it's exactly what you expect.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
3074th Post

"Re(8):Super MetalGear Maker" , posted Mon 5 Oct 01:11post reply

I still haven't gotten Super Mario Maker because when I'm home I want to play Metal Gear.

I really wish that they had a 3DS version of this, even if it was a simplified one or one with more constraints. It just seems like too good of a thing to not have while taking a break at a cafe.

chazumaru
1567th Post

"Re(9):Super MetalGear Maker" , posted Mon 5 Oct 06:28post reply

quote:
I still haven't gotten Super Mario Maker because when I'm home I want to play Metal Gear.

I get that feeling! I also had to force myself quitting MGS5 to begin Super Mario Maker. It's a good problem to have!

quote:
I really wish that they had a 3DS version of this, even if it was a simplified one or one with more constraints. It just seems like too good of a thing to not have while taking a break at a cafe.

A player would be cool. The editor would be very dangerous considering that it sometimes feel you've spent fifteen minutes working on a level and it's been two hours... In Japan, this just came out for coffee breaks.

Here is a smaller, condensed level:
7DA1―0000―008D―3AFE SUPER MARIO COMPACT

Même Narumi est épatée !

chazumaru
1570th Post

"Super Shy Guy Bros." , posted Thu 8 Oct 05:45post reply

Who knew our beloved Shy Guy went through so many adventures behind Mario's back?

ShyGuy!?ヘイホー助教授と大魔王ドドドッスンの大盤振る舞い
3F2E―0000―0094―6ED5 

Même Narumi est épatée !

Maou
2930th Post

"Re(1):Super Chaz Bros." , posted Fri 9 Oct 23:59:post reply

quote:
Who knew our beloved Shy Guy went through so many adventures behind Mario's back?

ShyGuy!?ヘイホー助教授と大魔王ドドドッスンの大盤振る舞い
3F2E―0000―0094―6ED5 

Rrrrrgh Chaaaaz you and your lovely thread are going to trick me into buying a Wii U. I've resisted Xenoblade AND Last Story AND Dracula X on virtual console, but will I be defeated by everyone's fantastic Madman levels?! Stay tuned.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 10 Oct 00:00]

Iggy
10015th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(2):Super Chaz Bros." , posted Sat 10 Oct 05:18post reply

quote:

Rrrrrgh Chaaaaz you and your lovely thread are going to trick me into buying a Wii U. I've resisted Bayonetta 2 and Tropical Freeze, but will I be defeated by everyone's fantastic Madman levels?!

Corrected.
There is only 1 correct answer. Well, two.

Maou
2932th Post

"Re(3):Super Chaz Bros." , posted Sat 10 Oct 05:21:post reply

quote:

Rrrrrgh Chaaaaz you and your lovely thread are going to trick me into buying a Wii U. I've resisted Bayonetta 2 and Tropical Freeze, but will I be defeated by everyone's fantastic Madman levels?!
Corrected.
There is only 1 correct answer. Well, two.

AGH, whaaaat are you making me doooo!? I had forgotten that my new post-MOK-KOS goddess is Bayonetta. I, I don't want a Wii U, but the logic of Team France is proving too strong. If I could actually see preview videos of these Mario Maker levels, it would be all over.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 10 Oct 05:28]

Iggy
10017th Post

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(3):Super Chaz Bros." , posted Wed 14 Oct 20:45post reply

NCL is fed up with everyone's shitty levels and decided to officially tell everyone "you are all trash. A pigeon would be better at making levels than you lot. Now go in the corner and think about what you've done".

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_news/151014/supermariomaker/index.html

Now I want the pigeon to appear in Hatoful Boyfriend 2.

chazumaru
1580th Post

"Re(4):Super CoroCoro Bros." , posted Thu 15 Oct 04:18post reply

Mario-kun! This cameo campaign is getting as exciting as Smash announcements. Will we get Bob Hoskins or Hotto Mario next?

Même Narumi est épatée !

Maou
2937th Post

"Re(4):Super Hatoful Bros." , posted Thu 15 Oct 12:11:post reply

quote:
NCL is fed up with everyone's shitty levels and decided to officially tell everyone "you are all trash. A pigeon would be better at making levels than you lot. Now go in the corner and think about what you've done".

It's so amazing. This tutorial would have been normal enough to include in the instruction manual or at the time of release, but it's amazing that the output has been so bad that they felt the need to issue remedial training after the fact. Or they could just direct all users to this thread to learn what to do.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 15 Oct 12:17]

chazumaru
1620th Post

"Super Tanaka Bros." , posted Wed 6 Jan 08:11:post reply

For those of you familiar with Gaki no Tsukai (*), here was the best moment of this Christmas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34qlBOF_4qA

Not sure it's the official one but you can play it here: 4C54-0000-015F-0079

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Wed 6 Jan 08:13]

chazumaru
1621th Post

"AGDQ" , posted Thu 7 Jan 10:21post reply

The AGDQ race of Super Mario Maker has started. It's already amazing.
http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

Même Narumi est épatée !