Tokyo arcades - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1467 Views )

dude
0th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Customer

"Tokyo arcades" , posted Fri 10 Jul 23:11post reply

Just got back from Tokyo and I've got to say I found this guide very useful when looking for arcades. However, I think the guide needs an update.

For example, I couldn't find Shibuya Kaikan anywhere. In the picture, we can see Forever 21 reflected in the glass. I've found that street following this map and Forever 21 is there, but there is no Shibuya Kaikan.

There are some others I couldn't find but I forgot to note which ones exactly and what parts of Tokyo. It is possible that I just missed these places but I really tried to find them, checked the buildings from all sides and all. Definitely check with someone in Tokyo who knows the streets better.

Cheers

Replies:

Professor
4312th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Tokyo arcades" , posted Sat 11 Jul 00:17:post reply

quote:
However, I think the guide needs an update.

For example, I couldn't find Shibuya Kaikan anywhere. In the picture, we can see Forever 21 reflected in the glass. I've found that street following this map and Forever 21 is there, but there is no Shibuya Kaikan.

There are some others I couldn't find but I forgot to note which ones exactly and what parts of Tokyo. It is possible that I just missed these places but I really tried to find them, checked the buildings from all sides and all. Definitely check with someone in Tokyo who knows the streets better.

Cheers

Thanks for your compliments and welcome to the board! Yes, the guide is certainly due for an update, thanks for the reminder. The Shibuya Kaikan arcade unfortunately closed down a year ago, and two other locations in the area also faced the same fate. Tough times indeed.

The scary part, I can recall a bunch of iconic arcades closing down in the 4 years since the guide was made, but only one that's newly opened (fortunately it's a non-smoking arcade). Hopefully I'll have time during the year to update it with together with additional photos and pages!

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 11 Jul 00:50]

Ishmael
5222th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Tokyo arcades" , posted Sat 11 Jul 01:39post reply

What are the big arcade games both currently and in the near future? Are people still playing established titles? Are arcade owners hoping Tekken 7 will single-handedly keep the industry afloat?

For the closed arcades you should simply stamp DESTROYED over their entry.

Maou
2837th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh

"Re(3):Tokyo arcades" , posted Sat 11 Jul 02:06:post reply

quote:

It's inspired hilarity like this that keep you in the highest tiers (to use arcade language) of my People at the Cafe I Haven't Met Yet But Should Meet ASAP list, Ish.

It'd be interesting to know the user bases for big games across different arcades in Tokyo. We can observe this anecdotally, but how interesting to know the revenues. Like, I'm sure in the heyday of the SoCal scene, you went to arcade X for the busiest play of game Y.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 11 Jul 02:13]

Professor
4312th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Tokyo arcades" , posted Sat 11 Jul 11:28post reply

quote:

I *might* just do that lol.
Tekken and Street Fighter are still the big games right now, and then there's the other titles like Guilty Gear, Blazblue and Dengeki Climax which have varying volume of players depending on the arcade you go to. Meanwhile, the more minor titles require going to a certain arcade (I'm looking at you KOF).

quote:
It'd be interesting to know the user bases for big games across different arcades in Tokyo. <snip> Like, I'm sure in the heyday of the SoCal scene, you went to arcade X for the busiest play of game Y.

As much a niche as it is, I've been thinking something about that!

neo0r0chiaku
60th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Tokyo arcades" , posted Sat 11 Jul 13:10post reply

quote:
I *might* just do that lol.
Tekken and Street Fighter are still the big games right now, and then there's the other titles like Guilty Gear, Blazblue and Dengeki Climax which have varying volume of players depending on the arcade you go to. Meanwhile, the more minor titles require going to a certain arcade (I'm looking at you KOF).

It'd be interesting to know the user bases for big games across different arcades in Tokyo. <snip> Like, I'm sure in the heyday of the SoCal scene, you went to arcade X for the busiest play of game Y.
As much a niche as it is, I've been thinking something about that!

Are they any arcades in Osaka?

Long Live!

Maou
2838th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh

"Re(5):Tokyo arcades" , posted Sat 11 Jul 13:21post reply

quote:
Are they any arcades in Osaka?

There are arcades everywhere, man. Now how it compares to the Tokyo scene, I couldn't say. Ktallguy used to live around there but he's MIA.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Ishmael
5225th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(4):Tokyo arcades" , posted Sun 12 Jul 02:32post reply

I figured stalwarts like SF and Tekken were still popular at the arcades. Still, SF4 came out in 2008 and as far as I know SF5 is a console exclusive. While I appreciate that Tokyo arcades are practically interactive museums that can't be healthy in the long term. Oh well, as long as the arcades have enough floor space for Gundam cabs they should be able to stay afloat for years to come.

quote:
It's inspired hilarity like this that keep you in the highest tiers (to use arcade language) of my People at the Cafe I Haven't Met Yet But Should Meet ASAP list, Ish.

Someday I'll be in the right time zone for a MMCafe meetup! Speaking of which, it's been some time since one of those went down; when is the next one taking place?

karasu
1520th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):Tokyo arcades" , posted Sun 12 Jul 08:26post reply

quote:

Someday I'll be in the right time zone for a MMCafe meetup! Speaking of which, it's been some time since one of those went down; when is the next one taking place?

Good question! Is anybody around here located in LA? I'll be there in October for Indiecade! Otherwise I'd be down for a meetup here in Portland if anybody wants to come visit this fine city.

Oh, and as for Osaka arcades, when I was there last year like Maou said there were arcades everywhere. Most were Taito branded and pretty small, but there was just a massive number of them.

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

neo0r0chiaku
61th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):Tokyo arcades" , posted Sun 12 Jul 08:35post reply

quote:

Good question! Is anybody around here located in LA? I'll be there in October for Indiecade! Otherwise I'd be down for a meetup here in Portland if anybody wants to come visit this fine city.

Oh, and as for Osaka arcades, when I was there last year like Maou said there were arcades everywhere. Most were Taito branded and pretty small, but there was just a massive number of them.

Good to know about the arcades in Osaka and Japan in general. Makes you wonder how it can make a come back here. Why not hook up a home console system into an arcade enclosure connected to the network and have a bunch of them in a arcade place? I know i know, its just a dream/wish. I am down for another meet up to. I was in the one in 2002 i think in the DMV area. I really want to play some old school games with you guys.

Long Live!

badoor
430th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Tokyo arcades" , posted Mon 13 Jul 02:29post reply

Man these threads come up at the most perfect of times cause I was just about to say how great the mmcafe guide is, seeing that I'm in Tokyo right now & have been to a few of the mentioned arcades already (mainly the Taito Hey in Akiba, Mikado, and Battle Arena in Club Sega Shinjuku).

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/