sfried
855th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: n/a
XBL: n/a
Wii: NNID:sfried

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Thu 28 May 00:25post reply

So Masahiro Anbe, who constantly made fanart for every major Splatoon announcement, got an official crossover with his his own work.

It makes me think what it would take for, say, Hideki Naganuma to get some of his music as DLC, or maybe an official tribute album" like those Street Fighter rearrangements by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi. Considering I've recently started playing Jet Set Radio and heard his works on Sonic Rush, it would seem like a nice fit.

Replies:

Spoon
2885th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Thu 28 May 01:46post reply

Game is out tomorrow, who's getting it?

I know I am.

Spoon
2886th Post

"Re(2):Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Thu 28 May 02:22post reply

I know who isn't:

An entire truck of the stuff stolen in UK!

sfried
856th Post

"Re(3):Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Thu 28 May 11:42post reply

I think the hunt for amiibo has gotten a bit out of hand. It reminds me of that one Schwarzenegger movie where he goes looking for that one action figure...

I think the Ika-Musume promotion is becoming more that just a tie-in. Here's hoping for a Squid Girl dress outfit.

Iggy
9919th Post

"Re(4):Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Thu 28 May 18:56post reply

I'm in... as soon as I'm done with Xenoblade X.
I'm at 97 hours and I have done 48% of the map.
I hate this game. Send help.

kofoguz
1175th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Thu 28 May 20:41post reply

quote:

I know I am.

I would be in if I had a wiiu.

sfried
857th Post

"Re(3):Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Thu 28 May 22:54post reply

quote:

I know I am.
I would be in if I had a wiiu.

Lucky for me then...

I already have it downloaded. See you midnight.

Freeter
4634th Post

"Re(1):Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Fri 29 May 03:16post reply

quote:
So Masahiro Anbe, who constantly made fanart for every major Splatoon announcement, got an official crossover with his his own work.

If they make an amiibo of Ika I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Spoon
2891th Post

"Re(2):Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Mon 1 Jun 11:20post reply

I played some yesterday and the game is pretty amazing for all kinds of reasons, none of which I will discuss here because I'm too busy.

But given that Miiverse illustrations show up in the game, I'm eagerly awaiting to see things saying "UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF LOVE" getting sprayed in the alleyways.

Spoon
2893th Post

"Re(3):Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Thu 4 Jun 08:46post reply

Ika Musume DLC costumes for Splatoon?

nobinobita
1415th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Thu 4 Jun 12:26post reply

quote:
I played some yesterday and the game is pretty amazing for all kinds of reasons, none of which I will discuss here because I'm too busy.

But given that Miiverse illustrations show up in the game, I'm eagerly awaiting to see things saying "UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF LOVE" getting sprayed in the alleyways.

Splatoon is excellent. It feels like the good natured little niece of Jet Set Radio. It's exciting to get in early on a game with totally new mechanics where you are free to discover your own strategy instead of relying on time tested FAQs. The process of discovery is SO FUN (for instance, discovering that the true value of the sniper rifle isn't to camp and shoot from afar, it's to provide a quick long runway to swim through).

I hope it's doing well.

www.art-eater.com

sfried
858th Post

"Re(4):Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Thu 4 Jun 13:23post reply

Looks like along with Ranked Battles comes Port Macarel. Have been doing some of the Amiibo challenges (Final Boss using just the charger is insane!), and it's a neat treat for those lucky enough who've managed to snag them, but overall just the gear they unlock are ultimately the same as 2-star gear...except for that weapon unlock. I do hope there will be a way for those unfortunate souls who have no access to the challenges. Hopefully they'll make it unlockable some other way (even if they end up becoming regular paid DLC packages).

I'm glad this game is seeing tons of activity. It's hard not to take a break, especially now that Splat Zones are in.

Spoon
2894th Post

"Re(5):Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Thu 4 Jun 15:40post reply

The Miiverse pictures for this game are out of control!

GekigangerV
1909th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5
Wii: n/a

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(6):Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Tue 9 Jun 04:31post reply

quote:
The Miiverse pictures for this game are out of control!

I really love the Miiverse to this game. It is all very creative and funny. Do the Japanese not use Miiverse as much as other territories or is it region locked despite being able to have matches with people from Japan?

After two weekends with the game I have to say I am having the most fun online with a shooter in a long time. The short matches really help with that. I think 3 to 5 minutes is about my range for an online game. I really haven't even tried to play F2P MOBA's since some of those go one for over half an hour. Even Hearthstone feels like a chore sometimes with matches around 15 minutes.

The ability to play a game, learn the map, see if the weapon is right for you in a short time really allows a player to quickly make changes, but still learn something new each match.

The online connection can be a bit wonky at times. The Wii U will come up with some connectivity errors every now and again, but has been rare enough for me to not put me off. Everynow and again you will get a bit of a lag between whoever killed you and their position in the screen. As a roller, I would roll oversomeone, but die a second later from the person I just killed and it didn't look like he hit me.

As of right now Map variety may be a bit sparse, but there are more on the way. The maps currently in rotation are very well designed and offer something unique. I really like the Blackbelly Park map. It is very chaotic since there isn't a natural choke point like some of the other maps. There is something about the Saltspray Rig map that puts me off, but I cannot put my finger on it.

Weapon variety is surprisingly varied. I have mained Krak On Roller since I got it since I feel that gets me the most points per game, but I am seeing that the Aerospray RG appears to be even better. I love how weapon choice and mobility are intertwined so closely. Rollers get a wide spread and will KO anyone you roll over, but are limited to a nice jog. The new paint brush is obscenely fast, but you have to stop to slash it around to cover anything worthwhile and to attack. Guns are great for attacking and making a path to swim through as you traverse the level. I also appreciate the variety of special attacks as well. I really like the kraken since it gives you invincibility to blow past a string of enemies. The Killer Wail cannon can really mess you up in the long corridors of Port Mackerel.

The one thing I do not like is that abilities are tied to clothing. I know this is kind of staple in the genre, but it really bums me out that something I like has a mediocre ability and only one other expansion slot which is random when you level up the item. I know you can re-randomize the secondary abilities when you reach level 20, but I would like the ability to trade abilities between clothing so I could dress the character up the way I like without being at a gameplay disadvantage.

The single player campaign has also been getting a lot of positive buzz and I know I really enjoyed it myself. The first few levels before the first boss are a bit of a chore, but it becomes more engaging from the fist boss on. It was kind of hard for me to switch gears since the multiplayer's goal is to ink everywhere while the single player campaign is to simply get from the start to the finish. They really threw in some nice twists to the game play in the single player mode. The fans platforms, the wall squeegee robots, the sponges and invisible platforms would all be great additions to multiplayer mode. The backstory presented in the hidden scrolls is really interesting too.

I just ordered the Amiibo 3 pack from Gamestop and hope to get some of those challenge mode missions going next week. It is such a shame that some costumes and mini-games are hidden behind Amiibo that are so hard to find. It would seem like it would be to Nintendo's benefit to release the stuff as actual DLC and not me limited to physical supply and let people who are really into collecting get the Amiibo as well.

HokutoAndy
89th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Tue 9 Jun 13:33post reply

Other than the Stealth Jump and Ninja Squid primary abilities I've found most stackable secondary abilities to have little noticeable effect on play. There was a reddit thread that showed ink saver, faster swim and such just made you a split second faster. The biggest speed boost was in running across un-inked ground which has limited utility as nearly all of the time everyone is shooting or swimming.

Spoon
2901th Post

"Re(8):Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Tue 9 Jun 15:54post reply

quote:
Other than the Stealth Jump and Ninja Squid primary abilities I've found most stackable secondary abilities to have little noticeable effect on play. There was a reddit thread that showed ink saver, faster swim and such just made you a split second faster. The biggest speed boost was in running across un-inked ground which has limited utility as nearly all of the time everyone is shooting or swimming.

I think that their approach with Damage Up and Defense Up reflects the general philosophy towards the abilities: you really don't need them to win. Even if you stack a ton of Damage Up, it scales in such a way that the number of shots needed to splat a person with no Defense Up will not change.

Still, I know that I got my first large winstreak when I stacked Damage Up and felt like nothing could take on my Tentatek Splattershot. Kick punch it's all in the mind?

sfried
860th Post

"Re(9):Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Wed 10 Jun 11:58:post reply

quote:
Kick punch it's all in the mind?

Speaking of snazzy 2D animation, the promo video for the Splatfest in Japan was just released.
3 new levels,

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
two of which are from the single-player campaign,

End of Spoiler

and the other was hinted at the random flashing pictures in the Battle Dome.

Just wonder, how many here have finished the single-player campaign?

What are your thoughts on the last boss?

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by sfried on Wed 10 Jun 12:02]

GekigangerV
1912th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5
Wii: n/a

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(10):Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Fri 19 Jun 06:26post reply

quote:

Just wonder, how many here have finished the single-player campaign?

As for the final boss

I really loved it. It was a real departure from the previous levels and bosses that really pushed you as a player to be aware and aggressive. The difficulty was a few notches higher compared to stuff you were doing beforehand which took me by surprise. I was really disappointed with the previous boss (shoot the teeth and throw a bomb) so I was not sure what to expect when going into the final level. I was surprised by the number of things DJ Octavio would throw out compared to the other bosses since they were all fairly simple patterns.

It was also nice that there was some story in the boss fight as opposed to just reading scrolls. I am kind of disappointed more stuff didn't change in the plaza other than seeing the Great Zap Fish on the tower.

The music was of course a great fit to the mood.

End of Spoiler

I got the Amiibo 3 pack from Gamestop's site and have to say I am really disappointed by the variety of the missions. The boy Amiibo makes you do most of the story missions with the Roller the Girl Amiibo makes you do most of the story missions with a sniper rifle. I cannot say these really felt rewarding. You get some clothing items, but weren't for me. The Squid Amiibo has a the most interesting set of challenges were you are limited to the amount of ink in a level so you are really planning out your route and which enemies you NEED to take out vs who you just run past. But that by itself is probably not worth the price.

It is kind of funny that Splatoon is probably the game with the most content unlocked by Amiibo, but it so so boring.

Sparkster
14th Post

New Customer

"Re(9):Shinryaku! Splatoon Musume" , posted Sat 20 Jun 20:26post reply

quote:
I think that their approach with Damage Up and Defense Up reflects the general philosophy towards the abilities: you really don't need them to win. Even if you stack a ton of Damage Up, it scales in such a way that the number of shots needed to splat a person with no Defense Up will not change.

Damage Up only matters for charger weapons because they can bypass the damage cap which means you can kill with a shorter charge time. And actually, Defense Up is more heavily weighted than Attack Up since it can keep you alive for one more shot than normal.

If you don't feel like playing with damage or defense, then primary/second ink savers or ink refill are the best choices, with special charger being alright for inkstrike/kracken. The best main abilities are Tenacity (head), Ninja Squid (Shirt), and Ink Resistance (shoes). Recon or Stealth Jump can work in turf wars if you actually want to be able to super jump to your team without dying.

on second thought, the best ability is to turn on your torrents and start stomping your ethernet cable so you can activate King Crimson's ability as a roller.

And it's a damn shame that you can't swap out primary abilities because everyone's slowly starting to look similar and some of the best gear looks boring.