Original message (2945 Views )

nobinobita
1404th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Fury Road" , posted Fri 15 May 04:55:post reply

Go see it! It is excellent!

Would love to hear your thoughts!

(and then please read this spoiler filled blog post that Andy and I wrote bout it)

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Fri 15 May 04:55]

Replies:

Spoon
2875th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Fury Road" , posted Fri 15 May 05:29post reply

quote:

(and then please read this spoiler filled blog post that Andy and I wrote bout it)

It doesn't come out until tomorrow! How did you see it?

Maese
765th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Fury Road" , posted Fri 15 May 11:14post reply

quote:

More importantly, does the film feature any Hokuto Shinken users and/or Saviours of the New Millennium?

nobinobita
1404th Post

"Re(2):Fury Road" , posted Fri 15 May 11:51post reply

quote:

Saw it in Thailand. Movies tend to come out in SE Asia first, cos of the time zone difference and also probably to give people more reason to see it before it inevitably gets pirated onto DVD or streaming sites.

quote:
More importantly, does the film feature any Hokuto Shinken users and/or Saviours of the New Millennium?

No Hokuto or Nanto Shinken practitioners, but I would consider Furiosa a new savior. She is really goddamn cool. She's the coolest new original character I've seen in a long time. I want an action figure of her!

George Miller has previously stated that this film is influenced by manga. I can't wait to see how this trickles down into Japanese pop culture all over again. I hope it results in more manly stuff being made. At the very least there will probably be some kind of resurgence for Hokuto No Ken.

I also hope Fury Road will be a kick in the ass for Hollywood. It is a solid film through and through that's completely fun at every turn, but also full of very subtle, non verbal touches. It is very awesome, visual, cinematic, literary storytelling. Pretty much the opposite of what has been popular in America lately. I hope this movie has some kind of impact on not just creators but the viewing public too.

More likely than not we'll just get some more copycat post apocalyptic TV shows and movies. Maybe the next Hunger Games will look grimier haha.

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
2877th Post

"Re(3):Fury Road" , posted Fri 15 May 12:15:post reply

quote:

Saw it in Thailand. Movies tend to come out in SE Asia first, cos of the time zone difference and also probably to give people more reason to see it before it inevitably gets pirated onto DVD or streaming sites.

I should've guessed that! I remember seeing Pacific Rim a day ahead of everybody else for the same reason!

A while ago when I was watching The Road Warrior with my folks, I thought about how affecting the violence of the movie was.

It occurred to me that though the cast of the movie was relatively small, nobody in the movie was a faceless soldier/suit/whatever. Absolutely everybody in the movie, even if they only ever spoke one or zero lines, had a unique appearance. There are tons of movies where an innocent bystander is endangered and by the audio/camerawork/trope we're supposed to feel all upset about what is happening, but I never really feel much for it aside from "oh, they are trying to pull my heartstrings right now".

In The Road Warrior, they managed to make everybody unique, and in seeing one unique character witnessing another unique character's death, it's affecting. Even the "faceless" characters which are masked are unique. In some movies having a horde of masked soldiers/killers/monsters/otherwise-identical-threats is used to create the feeling of being hounded and overwhelmed by this inhuman and monstrous force, but when the victims are insufficiently distinct and/or too numerous, we get the same effect: we feel the overall plot tragedy ("Oh how terrible, all those people died!"), but not a more personal or even more human tragedy ("Oh my gosh they killed the Amazon woman! And the midget mechanic tried to save her and he was so anguished and in trying to save her he died, too! THEY'RE GONE FOREVER, THERE'S NOBODY ELSE LIKE THEM IN THE WHOLE WORLD!").

In spite of the realism of scenes of mob panics in modern big productions, I do wind up with less sympathy for them because I interpret them as a mob that I don't get to know, a visual metaphor, and a plot device. It's hard for me to feel personal tragedy for a mob, even when it's a mob of innocents.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Fri 15 May 12:16]

Loona
859th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Fury Road" , posted Fri 15 May 17:22post reply

quote:

Dammit nobi, I love your articles, but now I have to delay the reading of this one ;_; The trailers make it look cool, reviews have been pretty good so I'm intrigued enough to have a look.

I wonder if the article has anything about this guy and the fact they set up a whole music truck just to spice up a chase scene.

I have only the vagues of memories of the original Mad Max, probably didn't watch the 2nd, and enjoyed Thunderdome (and its music), but get the impression Max himself is the least important character in teh whole, being more of a PoV guy in that mess of a setting - so it was interesting that the promotional material appears to have picked up on that and barely shows him, while the posters make Charlize Theron's face a lot more visible than his.

...!!

Maese
766th Post

"Re(3):Fury Road" , posted Fri 15 May 19:34post reply

quote:

No Hokuto or Nanto Shinken practitioners, but I would consider Furiosa a new savior. She is really goddamn cool. She's the coolest new original character I've seen in a long time. I want an action figure of her!

Woah, Imperator Furiosa. FURIOSA. That must be the most awesome name for a fictional character since Apollo Justice.

She sounds like a perfect substitute for Tina Turner as the female lead!

Ishmael
5165th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(3):Fury Road" , posted Fri 15 May 22:43post reply

quote:

Does everyone still dress like it's the 1980's? In addition to all the other inconveniences that come with it the end of the world really turns back the clock on fashion.

karasu
1494th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

"Re(4):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Sun 17 May 11:27post reply

quote:

Does everyone still dress like it's the 1980's? In addition to all the other inconveniences that come with it the end of the world really turns back the clock on fashion.

Not a single scrap of Hokuto no Ken was in evidence, at least not that I noticed. But it did remind me of just how much that series copped from Mad Max.

I'm not one for "liking" movies per se, but this one makes most other action movies look like garbage.

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

Spoon
2878th Post

"Re(5):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Mon 18 May 07:07:post reply

I saw this movie at midnight last night, and it was astounding. I don't think I was able to function in any coherent way for a while after seeing it.

One of my deepest worries about the movie was that Mad Max was so incredibly iconic and influential, quite frankly dominating the post-apocalyptic aesthetic and genre for the past 30 years, together with the fact that it being Mad Max and thus requiring it to still be within the aesthetics and style it previously set forth, that I worried it wouldn't be able to offer anything significantly new.

But the images it displayed are incredible, and not just the action sets. The new cultural/engineering/architectural/ritual images are incredibly powerful. The religion set forth in it cribs from a variety of existing ones and the fervor, pageantry and devices of it are totally convincing. The blood bag idea is amazing. The selection of colours for the movie are vivid and mesmerizing. There are so many things on display that are so memorable that nobi is right, I can see them becoming icons within the post-apocalyptic genre in the future.

Some random thoughts that I'll put down before reading Nobi and Andy's article:

I can't wait to see what Miller does next with Happy Feet.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Mon 18 May 07:07]

karasu
1495th Post

"Re(6):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Mon 18 May 07:14post reply

quote:
I saw this movie at midnight last night, and it was astounding. I don't think I was able to function in any coherent way for a while after seeing it.

Oooof, Spoon, we should take our spoiler filled conversation elsewhere, but I've got quite a bit to say about it.

A non-spoilery snippet: the use of ritual in the first 5 minutes of the movie is nuts. Spoon, you refer to it as religion, but I think it's more basic even than that. And they get it 100% right. It's just nuts.

Speaking of spoilers, anyone reading this who has the physical capability to go see this movie should drop everything and go see it right now. I don't often/ever say such a thing, but this is a completely tranformative film, I'm guessing a first for this kind of action movie. I'll be astounded to ever see it topped, even with the new Star Wars on its way. Forget the Marvel movie garbage, this is where mainstream film need to head toward.

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

Spoon
2878th Post

"Re(7):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Mon 18 May 07:19post reply

I EDITED MY POST TO CORRECT THE SPELLING IN THE LAST SENTENCE AND IT TOOK AWAY THE ENTIRE SPOILER PART I WROTE!

WHAT! THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME!

Is there a way for me to recover it? Because I'm kind of upset.

karasu
1497th Post

"Re(8):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Mon 18 May 07:27post reply

quote:
I EDITED MY POST TO CORRECT THE SPELLING IN THE LAST SENTENCE AND IT TOOK AWAY THE ENTIRE SPOILER PART I WROTE!

WHAT! THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME!

Is there a way for me to recover it? Because I'm kind of upset.

Argh, I went back in my browser history because I had just been reading it but it seems to be completely gone-- I got a "Page has expired" notice.

Ishmael
5169th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(9):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Mon 18 May 08:44post reply

A few quick, random thoughts:

This is a movie that is not subtle about its themes. That's not a bad thing, especially in a film that never stops to collect its thoughts. When the villains include a mutant businessman and a guy who rolled in from Bullet Town it makes it feel as if the loss of civilization caused everyone to ascend into being pure archetypes. That said, what the hell was up with Immortan Joe? What path did that man's life take that caused him to decide to create a personality cult in which he dressed up as a cybernetic version of Grandpa Munster? If there was ever an argument against predestination it's Joe because I doubt anyone saw that one coming.

This is a film built on momentum. It's not just the cars but every action the characters take is designed to keep them one step ahead of the inexorable machine that is grinding up the world behind them. Stop moving and you're dead. It reminds me of the first Raid movie or the first Terminator film. That this rapid pace is present in the fourth Mad Max movie is remarkable.

It's a well thought out film. Everything presented in the movie has a point. Too many films use outlandishness as a cover for poor structure. In Mad Max 4 every quirk serves a purpose. From Max's twitchy flashbacks to his obsessive need hoard every bit of junk he sees as if he was playing Fallout, it all has an eventual payoff.

This is the third time George Miller has remade "Shane." Good for him!

Iggy
9910th Post

"Re(9):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Mon 18 May 08:50post reply

I just saw it and I can only concur with everything that has been said. Nobi-s, your write-up is brilliant.
With all the super hero trash that Birdman was lamenting about I had lost hope that Hollywood could produce anything interesting anymore, and suddenly, out of nowhere, Mad Max.
I don't remember when was the last time I was so enthusiastic about a movie.

karasu
1499th Post

"Re(10):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Mon 18 May 09:09post reply

quote:

I feel the same way. I've been chronically jaded, viewing all the dumb Marvel movies as written for the lowest common denominator whole critics hail them as perfect. And along comes this film where Max is a sort of savior with Fusiosa and the movies is a sort of savior to modern film. It's good stuff.

quote:

This is a movie that is not subtle about its themes. That's not a bad thing, especially in a film that never stops to collect its thoughts. When the villains include a mutant businessman and a guy who rolled in from Bullet Town it makes it feel as if the loss of civilization caused everyone to ascend into being pure archetypes. That said, what the hell was up with Immortan Joe? What path did that man's life take that caused him to decide to create a personality cult in which he dressed up as a cybernetic version of Grandpa Munster? If there was ever an argument against predestination it's Joe because I doubt anyone saw that one coming.

This is a film built on momentum. It's not just the cars but every action the characters take is designed to keep them one step ahead of the inexorable machine that is grinding up the world behind them. Stop moving and you're dead. It reminds me of the first Raid movie or the first Terminator film. That this rapid pace is present in the fourth Mad Max movie is remarkable.

It's a well thought out film. Everything presented in the movie has a point. Too many films use outlandishness as a cover for poor structure. In Mad Max 4 every quirk serves a purpose. From Max's twitchy flashbacks to his obsessive need hoard every bit of junk he sees as if he was playing Fallout, it all has an eventual payoff.

It's... remarkable that a movie can keep track of its pieces so well. When a bolt cutter appears it will be used and kept track of until the end of the movie. When a gun has 3 bullets, it will damn well be used exactly 3 times, no more and no less. The level of design for the enemies is bordering on the ludicrous. Stating that Immortan Joe, the Bullet Farmer, and the People Eater are the ones who killed the world sets them up as the horrible, older generation who did nothing while everything went to shit.

After seeing the film my wife and I watched Road Warrior, the ostensibly best post-apocalyptic movie of the 80's. It didn't hold up well, with such interesting characters as the Humungous being killed off in a boring second just to end the movie. I won't even mention Beyond Thunderdome in any such dicussion. My only thought is that like Megaman, it's an engine propelled solely on nostalgia.

As a result, I'll nominate Fury Road as the best 80's movie ever made. Without question its budget would have been unobtainable circa 1989, so we could never have gotten such a movie absent 30 years of thinking about 'how awesome the Mad Max movies of the 80's were'.

The bottom line is that people will be writing about this film for generations, and will be totally justified in doing so.

nobinobita
1409th Post

"Re(6):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Mon 18 May 14:19:post reply

quote:

I can't wait to see what Miller does next with Happy Feet.

YES. Rituals! Also, Happy Feet is clearly the prequel to Mad Max.

quote:
Forget the Marvel movie garbage, this is where mainstream film need to head toward.

So gratifying to hear that not just from you, someone who is naturally analytical about what you ingest, but from many other people who've actually never given that much thought into how much depth an action movie can have till now! They are awaiten!

quote:

A lot of people whose opinions I trust pretty implicitly talk very favorably of Shane. I better see it!

quote:
I had lost hope that Hollywood could produce anything interesting anymore, and suddenly, out of nowhere, Mad Max.

Thanks for your kind words! I lost all hope for Blockbusters with Prometheus. After that I thought "hope is a mistake." But Fury Road has rekindled this hope. Especially when in all seriousness, I hear people all over saying "wow, I should raise my standards for what I expect from an action movie now."

quote:
After seeing the film my wife and I watched Road Warrior, the ostensibly best post-apocalyptic movie of the 80's. It didn't hold up well, with such interesting characters as the Humungous being killed off in a boring second just to end the movie. I won't even mention Beyond Thunderdome in any such dicussion. My only thought is that like Megaman, it's an engine propelled solely on nostalgia.

I can't think of another example where a respected creator returned to the work that made them famous significantly later in life and actually IMPROVED on something that was already hugely iconic. I'm sure there are other examples but I'm drawing a blank right now.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Mon 18 May 14:20]

karasu
1501th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(7):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Tue 19 May 02:34:post reply

quote:

So gratifying to hear that not just from you, someone who is naturally analytical about what you ingest, but from many other people who've actually never given that much thought into how much depth an action movie can have till now! They are awaiten!

Har har, I knew the moment I walked into the theater that this would be a movie you'd appreciate Nobi!

More importantly for me than even the action movie renaissance this represents is how it discards plays at nostalgia without discarding any of the aspects that made the older movies great in the first place. That way the nostalgia is completely on the viewer, not on the director. He gives you tiny bits of it, like the Pursuit Special and Max's jacket, but that's it. I wish that modern games could do this very same thing when dealing with some storied franchise!

quote:
I can't think of another example where a respected creator returned to the work that made them famous significantly later in life and actually IMPROVED on something that was already hugely iconic. I'm sure there are other examples but I'm drawing a blank right now.

I can't think of any off-hand. Most of the time with such a huge gap-- 30 years in this case-- the franchise has been watered down and handed off to a succession of other folks.

EDIT: Oddly enough the only examples I can think of are from the video game world, for example: Toru Iwatani, who created Pacman in 1980, and then in 2007 made Pacman Championship Edition.

[this message was edited by karasu on Tue 19 May 02:37]

nobinobita
1410th Post

"Re(8):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Fri 22 May 16:14post reply

quote:

EDIT: Oddly enough the only examples I can think of are from the video game world, for example: Toru Iwatani, who created Pacman in 1980, and then in 2007 made Pacman Championship Edition.

Haha, first time I played that was when I first met you and your wife in Portland! That was such a fun game!

www.art-eater.com

nobinobita
1411th Post

"Re(9):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Fri 22 May 16:17post reply

Hey Professor!

How is Fury Road being received in Japan? Can it possibly have anywhere near the level of cultural impact that Road Warrior had? Will be see a spate of new hot blooded post apacolypse manga? Will Hokuto No Ken make a comeback?

I only recently realised that Mad Max isn't nearly as famous as I thought. In the US it was beat at the Box Office by some dancing comedy. And abroad way more people know Hokuto No Ken than Mad Max. In fact, I bet the movie would have done much better in South East Asia had they hyped it up as "the series that inspired Fist of the North Star!"

www.art-eater.com

chazumaru
1491th Post

"Re(10):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Fri 22 May 17:33:post reply

quote:
In the US it was beat at the Box Office by some dancing comedy.

To be fair, although Mad Max's budget is five times bigger than Pitch Perfect 2's, there is nothing shameful about that.

Pitch Perfect is the Fast & Furious of 5-20 years old American girls, a clearly under-served demo compared young adult males interested in action movies. I think more people have seen this video than the entire combined box office of the Mad Max franchise. For a R-rated movie from a dormant franchise with a spotty pedigree, Mad Max did OK.

By the way, Mad Max will only be out on June 20 in Japan. Still better than Avengers 2 (July!).

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Fri 22 May 17:36]

nobinobita
1412th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Sat 23 May 00:55post reply

quote:
In the US it was beat at the Box Office by some dancing comedy.

To be fair, although Mad Max's budget is five times bigger than Pitch Perfect 2's, there is nothing shameful about that.

Pitch Perfect is the Fast & Furious of 5-20 years old American girls, a clearly under-served demo compared young adult males interested in action movies. I think more people have seen this video than the entire combined box office of the Mad Max franchise. For a R-rated movie from a dormant franchise with a spotty pedigree, Mad Max did OK.

By the way, Mad Max will only be out on June 20 in Japan. Still better than Avengers 2 (July!).

Holy crap I am really out of touch! I had only seen a preview for Pitch Perfect 2 (never even heard of the first one) and it seemed like just another flash in the pan teen comedy. Didn't know it was a bonafide hit among the tween demographic. It's cool that a movie with a mostly female, kind of diverse cast is doing so well.

Man, I also had no idea Anna Kendrick was so popular, or even a singer. I just remember her as someone who had minor roles in Up in the Air and Scott Pilgrim.

Never thought MMCafe would be the place I go to keep up with popular culture in the USA. Thanks Chazumaru!

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
2879th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Sat 23 May 02:37post reply

quote:

Never thought MMCafe would be the place I go to keep up with popular culture in the USA. Thanks Chazumaru!

Getting informed about American pop culture by somebody from France is either a new low or a new high.

But yes, movies whose audience is primarily female are not to be underestimated. Remember that the man who made some of the greatest action sequels of all time, James Cameron, had his biggest (and world-leading for a long time!) commercial success with Titanic... until the release of Avatar. A big chunk of Titanic's success came from the domestic (i.e. North American) female audience, and further from repeated viewings by said audience.

But hey, I'm probably going to see Fury Road like 3 times so I can sympathize.

Nobi, considering what conjectures you have about Japanese franchises attempting to appeal to a female demographic, it might be worthwhile for you to look at what has and hasn't worked in cinema (here or abroad) in that endeavour. There's no accounting for taste, but a starving audience is a starving audience.

Professor
4281th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Sat 23 May 03:11post reply

quote:
Hey Professor!

How is Fury Road being received in Japan? Can it possibly have anywhere near the level of cultural impact that Road Warrior had? Will be see a spate of new hot blooded post apacolypse manga? Will Hokuto No Ken make a comeback?

It's getting a lot of push and people seem to be looking forward to it-- the same goes for myself! Looking at the trailers, people are saying various comments like "it's so crazy!" and "so many Bad Bald dudes!". The film isn't coming out for another month in Japan though, on June 20th to be exact. It just missed the spring holidays here by 2-3 weeks and I think Warner Bros wants to release it before competition with the summer blockbusters!

Btw the Japanese subtitle is awesome-- instead of "Fury Road", it's called "Ikari no Death Road". It sounds so 80's!

Spoon
2880th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Sat 23 May 06:50post reply

quote:

it's called "Ikari no Death Road". It sounds so 80's!

somehow reminds me of

Loona
871th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Re(10):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Mon 25 May 03:37post reply

I finally saw the movie on Friday.

Holy damn... there were neat big things I was expecting, like Doof Warrior the best war bard ever, but then the movie's also full of smaller but eloquent details, like the the fact that one of the items the thirsty masses use to get what little water they can get their hands on is a bedpan, the ways and places characters hide their weapons in, and that not only the villain chase party includes that flawethrower guitar bard, it also uses a field accountant/tallyman to keep track of of the fuel, ammo and vehicles lost in the chase, because clearly the grunts aren't expected to be able to report on that sort of info, or survive the process - the fact that that guy in particular is known as People Eater probably says a thing or two about the sacrifices his calculations must have implied in the past.

Also, my girlfriend was reluctant to go with me to see such an action movie, but left in tears over the developments with one of the secondary characters, which was quite the surprise.

I read that Miller might have plans for a sequel, but I wonder if he can do justice to the planning behind this without as much time to really think all of its details through...

...!!

chazumaru
1494th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Sat 30 May 20:42:post reply

I saw the movie Tuesday. I enjoyed it. I am not as ecstatic as others but it's rare that I feel I can confidently recommend an action movie to my mother who is more of an intellectual moviegoer and would never bother with Marvel movies. In that sense, I am also glad it's not as gore as Mad Max 2 (for instance).

I am not a big fan of the last third of the movie and its Devil May Cry-inspired level design, but I liked the simple overall concept of the fugitive caravan and a chase through memorable landscapes. More importantly, the action scenes highlight some issues with the recent director choices for Marvel and DC movies; those guys are better for filming banter than brawls. It was nice to see Mad Max in a theater whereas I don't mind waiting to catch up with Avengers 2 on a plane.

It is possible I have shared this idea here before, so I apologize if I am repeating myself, but I am convinced (even more so after watching Mad Max) they should remake Magnum, P.I. with Charlize Theron as the titular Magnum, P.I..

She could be banging the same chicks, drive the same Ferrari, be helped by the same crew (just replace "Vietnam war buddies" with Irak or Afghanistan), have the same investigations in Honolulu, and the same Mike Post opening soundtrack (but remixed by Justice). They could have Higgins replaced by a cool granny like Betty White or Vanessa Redgrave, or John Cleese if he needs money for his next divorce.

Charlize could be John Magnum's niece, visiting Honolulu because he disappeared, taking up his old job, and Tom Selleck would pop up in the season finale as a special cameo explaining he is undercover or running away from a crime he did not commit (or did commit... I believe the original Magnum series ended pretty darkly for the main character).

Let's consider we now live in times where breakthrough mainstream lesbian scenes have even heterosexual viewers feeling all nostalgic now. Who would not watch Lesbian Bad-Ass Magnum in 2015? Which actor would refuse a few months shooting a show with Charlize in Hawaii? I am sure someone at FOX, NBC, ABC or CBS is reading the MadMan's Café looking for clues on how to save their network from Youtube and Netflix. My gift to you.

FX Guide has a good article on the special effects of Mad Max: Fury Road. And "the blond girl" has an instructive Instagram post on how she got that body.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Sat 30 May 20:44]

Professor
4283th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Re(10):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Sun 31 May 02:12post reply

quote:
I saw the movie Tuesday. I enjoyed it.

For now this is the closest thing I get to watch

nobinobita
1414th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Fatal Fury Road" , posted Mon 1 Jun 16:40post reply

quote:
I saw the movie Tuesday. I enjoyed it. I am not as ecstatic as others but it's rare that I feel I can confidently recommend an action movie to my mother who is more of an intellectual moviegoer and would never bother with Marvel movies. In that sense, I am also glad it's not as gore as Mad Max 2 (for instance).

I am not a big fan of the last third of the movie and its Devil May Cry-inspired level design, but I liked the simple overall concept of the fugitive caravan and a chase through memorable landscapes. More importantly, the action scenes highlight some issues with the recent director choices for Marvel and DC movies; those guys are better for filming banter than brawls. It was nice to see Mad Max in a theater whereas I don't mind waiting to catch up with Avengers 2 on a plane.

It is possible I have shared this idea here before, so I apologize if I am repeating myself, but I am convinced (even more so after watching Mad Max) they should remake Magnum, P.I. with Charlize Theron as the titular Magnum, P.I..

She could be banging the same chicks, drive the same Ferrari, be helped by the same crew (just replace "Vietnam war buddies" with Irak or Afghanistan), have the same investigations in Honolulu, and the same Mike Post opening soundtrack (but remixed by Justice). They could have Higgins replaced by a cool granny like Betty White or Vanessa Redgrave, or John Cleese if he needs money for his next divorce.

Charliz

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

I would definitely watch this movie. Not many action movies starring leading ladies with swagger. I think this would be a big hit!

www.art-eater.com

nobinobita
1426th Post

"Mahiro Maeda worked on Fury Road!" , posted Mon 22 Jun 01:57:post reply

quote:
I saw the movie Tuesday. I enjoyed it.

For now this is the closest thing I get to watch

It turns out that Mahiro Maeda (Blue Sub 6, Gangkutsuo, Evangelion Remake films etc) was one of the lead conceptual artists on Mad Max Fury Road! Looks like he had a hand in designing Furiosa and Immortan Joe. His work looks FANTASTIC. I can't believe I missed his name in the credits! One of the reasons I loved the visuals in Fury Road so much is that it has such a 90s Hobby Japan Creature Core kinda feeling to it. I figured it was just cos Mad Max was such a huge inspiration to that group. I feel like Maeda's involvement kind of brought it all full circle.

Here's a video where they interview him about his involvement in the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEA7OpxAUXk

If one of you fine gents could translate the gist of what he's saying I would super duper appreciate that forever.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Mon 22 Jun 01:59]

Iggy
9932th Post

"Re(1):Mahiro Maeda worked on Fury Road!" , posted Mon 22 Jun 02:52post reply

Lots of trash and fluffer, like in most Japanese TV, but basically, he was first called to make an anime out of Mad Max (Japanese style). The project was canned, so he packed home, but many ideas were kept when the project was revived into the movie we saw. Maeda didn't know, and he was surprised to see his name in the credits of the movie.

nobinobita
1426th Post

"Re(2):Mahiro Maeda worked on Fury Road!" , posted Mon 22 Jun 03:06post reply

quote:
Lots of trash and fluffer, like in most Japanese TV, but basically, he was first called to make an anime out of Mad Max (Japanese style). The project was canned, so he packed home, but many ideas were kept when the project was revived into the movie we saw. Maeda didn't know, and he was surprised to see his name in the credits of the movie.

Thanks so much Iggy! Even if it was mostly fluff, I'm just glad Maeda got highlighted in mainstream TV. Also they showed a lot of rad drawings.

I would love it if concept artists could be shown this much respect in North American fluff news! (instead we get Andy Serkis making the rounds taking the credit for the combined efforts of hundreds of artists)

Also, sadly none of Maeda's work made it into the "art of" book for Fury Road. Maybe they'll revive this anime after the success of the film though. Here's hoping!

www.art-eater.com

Maese
770th Post

"Vote for Immortan Joe" , posted Mon 6 Jul 14:38:post reply

Last Friday I finally got the chance of watching the movie, and I am still in shock. I cannot articulate my thoughts nor my words in a proper way yet, but luckily I do agree with every word you guys said on this thread, so I guess there's no need to elaborate any further. Like Nobi, lately I had almost given up on action cinema, but this movie has rekindled my hope. I'm so glad movies like this are still being produced in this day and age.

Oh, and I must say Immortan Joe does sound like a well balanced, down to earth individual. I'd totally have him as my lord and leader for the post-nuclear winter.

Edit: linkzzz

[this message was edited by Maese on Mon 6 Jul 14:41]