IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (4721 Views )

Spoon
2859th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Tue 5 May 09:56:post reply

There is reporting about the viral campaign for IGA's project over the past while. What matters is that there is now a website:

Link Here

I remember attending IGA's talk at GDC and him saying that he was unaware of the English term "Metroidvania" until relatively recently. With any luck, being introduced to Kickstarter and suddenly realizing that a gazillion of the games on it are inspired by his games gave him the kick he needed.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Tue 5 May 15:13]

Replies:

Maou
2783th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

"Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 5 May 11:00post reply

Chop-Chop Master Onion sez: U Linkin': BAD

But fear not, Alucard found the link hidden inside an obscure wall!

What a cute, cheeky splash page. The real dream would be if he can peel away Toru Hagihara away from Konami, assuming that he's still there, since he's the guy who actually directed Rondo of Blood and is arguably equally important, if not more so.

Other thoughts: aside from the Belmonts, all of the Dracula games are just capitalizing on old horror movies and myths anyway, so I wonder how many Inafune-esque "striking coincidences" Igarashi can get away with?

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

neo0r0chiaku
16th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1

New Customer

"Re(1):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 5 May 12:06post reply

quote:
Chop-Chop Master Onion sez: U Linkin': BAD

But fear not, Alucard found the link hidden inside an obscure wall!

What a cute, cheeky splash page. The real dream would be if he can peel away Toru Hagihara away from Konami, assuming that he's still there, since he's the guy who actually directed Rondo of Blood and is arguably equally important, if not more so.

Other thoughts: aside from the Belmonts, all of the Dracula games are just capitalizing on old horror movies and myths anyway, so I wonder how many Inafune-esque "striking coincidences" Igarashi can get away with?

The Castlevania series, for most of its run, had by far the most memorable music to this day. Michiru Yamane was the heart and soul of the music production. To bad she left because she made the games more enjoyable to play at any given moment. That was a huge loss for the series.

Long Live!

Maou
2785th Post

"Re(2):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 5 May 12:36:post reply

quote:

The Castlevania series, for most of its run, had by far the most memorable music to this day. Michiru Yamane was the heart and soul of the music production.
I think most of the Cafe will agree about the importance of music to the Dracula series, and Yamane's work on Nocturne/SOTN is masterful. However, it's worth noting that she's had very little involvement with most of the series, and certainly none of the foundational 8- and 16-bit games. If you stretch it, you could probably consider the Sinking Old Sanctuary track on the Mega Drive outing a masterpiece, but outside that and Nocturne, we're left with her music for maybe one portable game and the dumb 3D ones? The soul of Dracula's music lies in a diverse group of composers in the early games.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 5 May 12:45]

Iggy
9906th Post

"Re(3):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 5 May 19:43post reply

As for Yamane, she's now freelance so she could theoretically come back. After all, if the Skullgirl team managed to contract her (and her work on that game was not only very good but also helped give the game its distinctive identity) she could probably be hired by Iga as well (probably some sort of stretch goal for the kickstarter).

neo0r0chiaku
19th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 5 May 21:26:post reply

quote:

The Castlevania series, for most of its run, had by far the most memorable music to this day. Michiru Yamane was the heart and soul of the music production. I think most of the Cafe will agree about the importance of music to the Dracula series, and Yamane's work on Nocturne/SOTN is masterful. However, it's worth noting that she's had very little involvement with most of the series, and certainly none of the foundational 8- and 16-bit games. If you stretch it, you could probably consider the Sinking Old Sanctuary track on the Mega Drive outing a masterpiece, but outside that and Nocturne, we're left with her music for maybe one portable game and the dumb 3D ones? The soul of Dracula's music lies in a diverse group of composers in the early games.

Me personally, I think her best work, or at least the ones I enjoyed the most, is from Bloodlines, Dawn of Sorrow, and The Stolen Seal. The 3D ones, Lament of innocence and Curse of Darkness, even though they were not as great, I still enjoyed playing because of the music. The musical score for Castlevania 64 did not deserve as much credit as it should have. Again, I was encouraged to finish the game due to the dark music atmosphere it had. Yamane was not involved, but that team did an awesome job.
Regardless, lets hope IGA gives us the game we have been waiting for quite some time.

Long Live!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Tue 5 May 21:29]

Ishmael
5152th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(4):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 5 May 22:43post reply

It has been noted that video game Kickstarters are often nothing more than a way to nostalgia bomb money out of players. Hopefully this latest example doesn't degenerate into the sideshow nonsense that has swallowed up other projects. But what games of today will eventually end up playing what is essentially the reunion tour of the genre? In several years will someone try to kick start the spiritual successor to Goat Simulator?

karasu
1488th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Wed 6 May 00:35post reply

Oof, where do I even begin with such a thread? My love for this material is I think pretty well known around these parts, so I'll avoid waxing poetic about the series. I'll also avoid delving too much into the "nostalgia bomb" concept that Ishmael brings up, since I've endlessly yapped on and on about that.

quote:

Well, I can't imagine in a case like this that there will be any shortages of "striking coincidences". After all, most non-regulation Metroidvanias draw very heavily on the source material, with little regard to infringing on the original. Take for example Koumajou Densetsu, which is so close in appearance (and even naming) to the original that it's pretty startling.

Anyway, my quick tally shows that within the video games category of Kickstarter, roughly 99.8% of all projects are Metroidvanias. But of course I exaggerate. In truth though Metroidvanias (probably second only to roguelikes) account for an alarming number of indie games, so while I'm still a bit rolling my eyes that someone somewhere feels like they need yet another, at least this one has the involvement of IGA.

My real hope is that the project, should it actually exist and get funded, will try to introduce at least some innovation to the formula. After all, we can all remember the days when the franchise actually tried to do new things, rather than just building on the corpse of its predecessor. But I'm not holding my breath!

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

Spoon
2859th Post

"Re(2):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Wed 6 May 02:01post reply

quote:
Take for example Koumajou Densetsu, which is so close in appearance (and even naming) to the original that it's pretty startling.

It's worth mentioning that Koumajou Densetsu straight up traces the sprites of CV, though the dialogue/cutscene art for the game is an astonishingly good likeness of SOTN's style, as well as just being astonishingly good.

karasu
1489th Post

"Re(3):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Wed 6 May 02:25post reply

quote:
It's worth mentioning that Koumajou Densetsu straight up traces the sprites of CV, though the dialogue/cutscene art for the game is an astonishingly good likeness of SOTN's style, as well as just being astonishingly good.

Agreed, it's quite good. My real point is just that we have so many Metroidvanias out there, some of which come damned close to SOTN in quality. I'd love to think IGA will innovate in whatever he ends up doing and that we'll end up getting something truly good that's not just more shameless nostalgia pandering.

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

nobinobita
1396th Post

"Re(4):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Wed 6 May 15:18:post reply

quote:

Agreed, it's quite good. My real point is just that we have so many Metroidvanias out there, some of which come damned close to SOTN in quality. I'd love to think IGA will innovate in whatever he ends up doing and that we'll end up getting something truly good that's not just more shameless nostalgia pandering.

Did anyone play Harmony of Despair? What were your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWeb9r-vvy0

I was intitially turned off by the hacked together feeling of it, the zoomed out camera, lack of emphasis on exploration and mood. But looking at videos of it years later, it actually looks fun, and it is probably one of the more 'innovative/different' takes on the metroidvania format.

Whatever Igarashi does on Kickstarter, I'm looking forward to it as long as he's got a good crew and they do something with vision, and not something where they constantly have the backers voting on what the final product will be.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Wed 6 May 15:19]

neo0r0chiaku
20th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Wed 6 May 21:10:post reply

quote:

I was intitially turned off by the hacked together feeling of it, the zoomed out camera, lack of emphasis on exploration and mood. But looking at videos of it years later, it actually looks fun, and it is probably one of the more 'innovative/different' takes on the metroidvania format.

Whatever Igarashi does on Kickstarter, I'm looking forward to it as long as he's got a good crew and they do something with vision, and not something where they constantly have the backers voting on what the final product will be.

Great idea at the time, but for solo players, it was not intriguing to play. I never had the time to play with others online but indeed it look fun with others.
I just hope IGA brings it back to the 2-D side-scrolling type. There is still room for extraordinary game play improvement from its predecessors.

Long Live!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Wed 6 May 21:12]

nobinobita
1397th Post

"Re(6):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Wed 6 May 21:36post reply

quote:

Great idea at the time, but for solo players, it was not intriguing to play. I never had the time to play with others online but indeed it look fun with others.
I just hope IGA brings it back to the 2-D side-scrolling type. There is still room for extraordinary game play improvement from its predecessors.

What kind of art style do you think the game will be in? (Assuming he's pulling his own Mighty No 9 here).

Old school standard def sprites?
HD sprites?
Flash looking animation (dear god no!)
Vanillaware style puppet animations? (Konami pioneered this long ago)
Realtime side scrolling 3d? (Dear god NO NO please no)
A total 3d game? (Is this even necessary after Bloodborne?)
Claymation??
Pastel oil painting on glass??
Mixed media stop motion??

www.art-eater.com

neo0r0chiaku
21th Post

New Customer

"Re(7):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Thu 7 May 01:48:post reply

quote:

What kind of art style do you think the game will be in? (Assuming he's pulling his own Mighty No 9 here).

Old school standard def sprites?
HD sprites?
Flash looking animation (dear god no!)
Vanillaware style puppet animations? (Konami pioneered this long ago)
Realtime side scrolling 3d? (Dear god NO NO please no)
A total 3d game? (Is this even necessary after Bloodborne?)
Claymation??
Pastel oil painting on glass??
[URL=h

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Based on your examples and others, it depends on what system he wants to release the game on. Before that, you have to ask the question on what type of systems Castlevania performed and sold well on. In the past decade, I think the ones released on handhelds performed better then the ones released on consoles. But I may be wrong as in my opinion I prefer the side-scrolling format. With that said, I would say use the art style based on Guilty Gear/Blazblue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOpJ10YEiwI&spfreload=1
Or Super Robots Wars (mainly Z and @ series)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_xQ28v_Xq8
This kind of art style looks 2-D but its technically 3-D. I have always wanted a Megaman game in this style as well. KOF did it and it looked amazing.

Long Live!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Thu 7 May 01:49]

karasu
1490th Post

"Re(5):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Thu 7 May 01:54post reply

quote:

It's a bit of a funny story. I bought it at launch for the X360 and didn't care for it, despite playing it quite a bit. Then, about a year ago, with my X360 put away, I rebought it on PSN to give it another chance, especially since they had added a bunch of new characters and maps. I still didn't find it fun in the slightest. I'm not sure exactly how it fails for me-- it's a hack job, for sure but I don't think that's it. Mostly I just found it unimaginative and boring. But that's just me.
quote:

Yes, I agree, but I think that's just it-- the nature of Kickstarter is that the loudest voices, not necessarily the highest dollar amount backers, get heard the most, which is in a way what makes it unsuitable for game projects. I think IGA is in for a surprise when he finds out how many of the backers for such a project are only looking for SOTN2 with completely fresh material yet somehow paradoxically exactly like SOTN in every way.

Maou
2786th Post

"Re(7):Dark Night Recycling" , posted Thu 7 May 02:14:post reply

quote:
What kind of art style do you think the game will be in?
Actually, the game will consist entirely of those poor skeleton and Medusa sprites. Their special Morrigan-esque eternal damnation of asset recycling kind of gels with the story.
quote:
I think the ones released on handhelds performed better then the ones released on consoles.
I doubt it. The series' very "demotion" to handheld systems indicates that Igarashi was given smaller budgets to do smaller-scale games that would try to capitalize on the PS1 game without as many resources. And of course you know the sad story that the wildly shifting portable character designs were a symptom of Konami's total inability to make any money off the series as it desparately searched for a new look that would catch on.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 7 May 02:40]

Lord SNK
59th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(8):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Thu 7 May 03:29post reply

quote:

Can i hope in a sock puppets stop motion style?

quote:

Or Super Robots Wars (mainly Z and @ series)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_xQ28v_Xq8
This kind of art style looks 2-D but its technically 3-D. I have always wanted a Megaman game in this style as well. KOF did it and it looked amazing.

But aside from the pre-rendered 3D used by some OG games, the other games are all 2D sprites.
In the Z series a lot of sprites are animated with separated parts (head, torso, legs, etc.) so they can save a lot of time (and space?) on single animation frames, but this result in some attack animations looking more cheap.
Some (not so) older SRW games had every frame of animation completely hand drawn, for example SRW J for GBA had really a ton of animations it was a miracle seeing that game runnning on a GBA, every single unit, with their unique attacks, all beautifully animated moving on that little screen on a system with such limited hardware!

Ishmael
5154th Post

"Re(7):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Thu 7 May 04:18post reply

quote:

I don't know how the game will look but I hope that they release really bad concept art so when the actual game is revealed everyone will be pleasantly surprised.

Gieflos
104th Post

PSN: pooplos-z
XBL: PooplosZ

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Thu 7 May 09:46post reply

One of the quotes IGAkula says was along the lines of, "2 dimensions cannot hold me."

I am expecting some 2.5D business.

Harmony of Despair lost me because it felt like an MMO in that you had to repeatedly play through stages to get random drops. Not having a solid group to play with meant I'd limp behind experts that had run a boss 100x or waste 10mins after my group got destroyed by a pattern no one knew. By the time it came out I was far too used to the reused assets to be disappointed.

nobinobita
1399th Post

"Re(9):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Fri 8 May 15:57post reply

quote:
One of the quotes IGAkula says was along the lines of, "2 dimensions cannot hold me."

Harmony of Despair lost me because it felt like an MMO in that you had to repeatedly play through stages to get random drops. Not having a solid group to play with meant I'd limp behind experts that had run a boss 100x or waste 10mins after my group got destroyed by a pattern no one knew. By the time it came out I was far too used to the reused assets to be disappointed.

Since Bloodborne is already the perfect 3d evolution of Castlevania, I wonder if Igarashi will make a Darksoulsvania. That is the next trend in crowdfunding after all.

www.art-eater.com

neo0r0chiaku
23th Post

New Customer

"Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Fri 8 May 21:00post reply

quote:

Since Bloodborne is already the perfect 3d evolution of Castlevania, I wonder if Igarashi will make a Darksoulsvania. That is the next trend in crowdfunding after all.

And this was not the only time Castlevania got outplayed in 3-D. Everyone said Devil Man Cry should have been Castlevania at that time as well.

Long Live!

Spoon
2863th Post

"Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Sat 9 May 03:24post reply

quote:

It's not the perfect 3D evolution of Castlevania if jumping in it is as awful as it was in Dark Souls.

In all other respects, Dark Souls and its successors are absolutely the 3D successors of Castlevania.

Spoon
2865th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Sat 9 May 09:31:post reply

IGA with one of the software engineers of Double Fine productions plays SoTN while he comments on things he sees.

Over 2 hours long!

EDIT: IGAAAAAAAAAAAA

[this message was edited by Spoon on Sat 9 May 09:55]

Mosquiton
2033th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Sun 10 May 08:41post reply

quote:
IGA with one of the software engineers of Double Fine productions plays SoTN while he comments on things he sees.

Over 2 hours long!

This is pretty interesting actually (I skipped around, good translation even if it takes up a bit more time) but I was sad she didn't do the QCF "teleport behind you slash" with the Alucard Sword during the intro. You just left those cool points on the table!

/ / /

neo0r0chiaku
24th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Mon 11 May 00:21post reply

quote:

Over 2 hours long!

Pretty cool! They mentioned Metroidvania, but the team wanted SOTN to be more like Zelda since they were fans of Zelda. I never knew this so I think I am late hearing about it if everyone else knows. Surprised they never mentioned the Saturn version. It would be cool if these guys do a developers play with the developer(s) of Streets of Rage series.

Long Live!

Ishmael
5159th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Mon 11 May 06:44post reply

quote:

Over 2 hours long!

I'll have to watch all of that later but that's pretty cool! I like that everyone showed up in black and broke out the Merlot. If you're going to play a vampire game you might as well set the mood.

karasu
1492th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 12 May 02:20:post reply

Well, it's now Officially A Thing.

I'm... I guess excited! I suppose if I should trust anybody to do something like this right, it's IGA. Plus it's apparently 2D!

EDIT: Wowee was that a corny/cheesy/goofy trailer, but it's somehow fitting!

[this message was edited by karasu on Tue 12 May 02:25]

Maou
2789th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 12 May 02:49:post reply

quote:

I'm... I guess excited! I suppose if I should trust anybody to do something like this right, it's IGA. Plus it's apparently 2D!

I loved the goofy nod to the start of the SFC outing. A pleasure to see Yamane involved, and I guess people liked the Rockman Zero games, too. If only he could poach Hagihara.

It's interesting to see him cast his lot with the US, where the series has probably done better in recent years. It does make for some weird differences in standards, though. David Hayter voice acting as a stretch goal...? Uh, okay, but I'll take Wakamoto.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 12 May 02:55]

Spoon
2866th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 12 May 03:39post reply

quote:

I loved the goofy nod to the start of the SFC outing. A pleasure to see Yamane involved, and I guess people liked the Rockman Zero games, too. If only he could poach Hagihara.

It's interesting to see him cast his lot with the US, where the series has probably done better in recent years. It does make for some weird differences in standards, though. David Hayter voice acting as a stretch goal...? Uh, okay, but I'll take Wakamoto.

I'm almost certain that the David Hayter thing is a Western-looking jab at Konami.

Too bad Kojima (the artist from SoTN, not HIDEO) couldn't be a part of the project. She even got mentioned as an FAQ!

The extremely low monetary goal for this project concerns me, though. Just the staff listed, even if many of them are not working full-time on it, is at least 24 people, not counting however many people at Inti Create are on it! The current stretch goal is just 800k! This project will certainly take longer than a year! Inti Creates is also still working on Mighty No.9! How is this all getting paid for?!

I worry because I don't want to see something I want crash and burn due to financial mismanagement.

HokutoAndy
86th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 12 May 03:59post reply

I hope they have a stretch goal of "Pay Ayami Kojima enough money to get her away from whatever she is doing to work on Bloodstained"

nobinobita
1401th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 12 May 04:00:post reply

quote:

I'm really worried about the quality of art on display so far. It's a far cry from the level I expect from Castlevania. It feels very amateurish. The more you look at it, the weaker it gets.

Why does Miriam have the same rose tattooed all over her body? Is it some conceptual part of her character I'm not understanding? Or is it cos the artist doesn't have range and only knows how to draw a rose one way?

The way Gebel's costume is composed, your eye is most drawn to the high contrast pattern on his upper arm. Why focus the viewer's attention on such an unimportant part of the body?

Why does Johannes have that single strap? There's no messenger bag connected to it. What is it for? Why does his vest look like a dress shirt with a long shirt tail? Why is it drawn crumpling as if it was made out of a very thin dress shirt material? Why ... why is his vest tucked UNDER his belt? Why did the artist feel the sudden urge to draw his face Soejima style, but leave the others as generic amerimanga? Why do his forearms need belts? Why ... WHY DOES HIS BELT HAVE A BELT?

Sorry for the negativity. I just expect much better from something that these legends would attach their name to.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Tue 12 May 04:37]

neo0r0chiaku
25th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 12 May 04:19post reply

quote:

Well, it seems like they might break the pledged goal by the end of the day. Already at $350k.
A plus for me is Yamane and IntiCreates. Big fan of Zero and ZX series by IntiCreates, which I believe is the last truly Megaman X style game we had. They will do a good job. The ETA for the game is 2017, so I am pretty sure they will have enough time to make it up to "our" standards. The amount is low for its pledged goal, maybe they either have enough funds now to work on it or everyone on their end already pitched in? IGA probably put much of his money into the project?

Long Live!

shindekudasai
422th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 12 May 04:19post reply

quote:
WHAT IS A BACKER?

A wonderful pile of sweetness!

Spoon
2868th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 12 May 05:16:post reply

quote:

Why does Johannes have that single strap? There's no messenger bag connected to it. What is it for?

It's a holster for his book. Look again at the full-body picture of him.

quote:
belts on belts belts everywhere

Because they want to be a bookish Albus without knowing how.I don't know, maybe one of the straps is meant to be like the arm equivalent of one of those straps cyclists tie on their pants legs in order to keep it out of the gears. It's still a ton of belts, I agree.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Tue 12 May 05:26]

Mozex
455th Post

PSN: Mozex

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 12 May 06:11post reply

quote:
The extremely low monetary goal for this project concerns me, though. Just the staff listed, even if many of them are not working full-time on it, is at least 24 people, not counting however many people at Inti Create are on it! The current stretch goal is just 800k! This project will certainly take longer than a year! Inti Creates is also still working on Mighty No.9! How is this all getting paid for?!

In the KS video he says they have a publisher but the publisher doesn't want to fund them without proof there is demand for the game - hence the kickstarter.

Be kind to goblins.

Ishmael
5161th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 12 May 10:14post reply

I'm of several different, contradictory minds on Kickstarter projects like this so I'll just refrain from saying anything since I have no idea how to articulate my thoughts. I do, however, like that they included a pledge level for people with more money than sense so they could have their dog added to the game. Not surprisingly, that pledge level has already sold out.

quote:
Why does Miriam have the same rose tattooed all over her body? Is it some conceptual part of her character I'm not understanding? Or is it cos the artist doesn't have range and only knows how to draw a rose one way?

Is the rose tattoo on Miriam and not-Dracula an effect overlay that will change as the game progresses or you change abilities? In the concept screenshot where Miriam looks like she has indigestion the tattoo has changed form. Perhaps the character art features the default art of something that will always be changing? I hope so since the current design looks like it was stamped on.

quote:
It's a holster for his book. Look again at the full-body picture of him.

I'm assuming there's some in-game explanation for why he wants to wear that book over his heart. It's not like you can buy an off the rack leather book holster so he went through a lot of trouble to dress himself like that.

Maese
762th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(7):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 12 May 10:48post reply

While I don't see the artwork as terrible as Nobi says, I mostly agree with the skeptical side of the Cafe: does the world really need another 2D metroidvania? Is actually IGA the true guardian of the Castlevania essences? Where is Kojima (Ayami) when we need her? What is a man?

BUT...

... This must be the most compelling kickstarter campaign I've ever seen. Whoever they are, the PR dudes really did their homework here; with all those "what is a backer?" meta-jokes they managed to reach the soft spot of the old, grumpy Castlevania fan in me. And the video, simple and silly as it is, is just adorable. You can feel real passion and devotion for the game these guys are trying to create, and that's something I deeply respect. All my previous rant notwithstanding, I'm SO willing to join IGA's army of the night!

Or maybe I'm just being deceived,

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
for we all now that Igakula's words are as empty as his soul

End of Spoiler

. Oh well, time will tell!

neo0r0chiaku
27th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 12 May 11:50:post reply

quote:
While I don't see the artwork as terrible as Nobi says, I mostly agree with the skeptical side of the Cafe: does the world really need another 2D metroidvania? Is actually IGA the true guardian of the Castlevania essences? Where is Kojima (Ayami) when we need her? What is a man?

BUT...

... This must be the most compelling kick starter campaign I've ever seen. Whoever they are, the PR dudes really did their homework here; with all those "what is a backer?" meta-jokes they managed to reach the soft spot of the old, grumpy Castlevania fan in me. And the video, simple and silly as it is, is just adorable. You can feel real passion and devotion for the game these guys are trying to create, and that's something I deeply respect. All my previous rant notwithstanding, I'm SO willing to join IGA's army of the night!

Or maybe I'm just being deceived, . Oh well, time will tell!

It is still good to see game genres from my childhood days coming back alive. Or at least our favorite series are returning to its roots. I I really have not played any current generation games. Last new game I played was Azure Striker Gunvolt and KOF xiii. Still playing Megaman ZX Advent and Castelvania Order of Eccelsia. Games like:
Mighty no.9 - creator(s) of MegaMan
Attack on Cataclysm - Creator(s) of KOF
Bloodstained - Creator(s) of Castlevania
Shows that there is still interest in these types of games we always wanted.
However, these games have not been released yet. Only time will tell if our satisfaction will outweigh our anticipation. I wonder if they plan to create a game before Bloodstained is released like how IntiCreates came out with Azure Striker Gunvolt before Mighty no.9. Now if only the creator(s) of Street of Rage and Trasure-Inc get inspired by this and come up with some new games on their own.

Long Live!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Tue 12 May 12:05]

Professor
4279th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 12 May 12:03:post reply

HOLY SYMPHONY OF THE COW! I woke up this morning and not only was the kickstarter up, it was already into its stretch goals. Max $1,200,000 seems relatively moderate for even showing faith to their investor(s) and the kickstarter looks like it'll reach 1 million by around the time I finish writing this. From the way there's only an "initial goal commemoration" art, I don't think Iga was expecting things to go so fast, lol.

I agree with Nobi about hoping a bit more on the art design. Leaving aside what's already been mentioned, the enemy concept designs have me concerned. They look rather inorganic and simply aren't at the same standard from previous Igavania games that almost looked like animating fresco paintings. "Die monster! You don't belong in this world!" seems to be a fitting description.

Still though, hopefully things will be polished by the staff once they step foot on the project. I'm looking very forward to its future!

I wonder how much the campaign startup costed with the teaser site and all?

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 12 May 12:03]

Maou
2790th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 12 May 13:49:post reply

quote:
I'm really worried about the quality of art on display so far. It's a far cry from the level I expect from Castlevania. It feels very amateurish. The more you look at it, the weaker it gets.
Nobi's right in all his criticisms of the art. That said, this criticism comes if we use Nocturne/SOTN as the gold standard, whereas in fact the early 8-bit art was inexcusably poor, and there have been so many truly awful designs in post-Nocturne games without Kojima, as well.

The funny thing is, monster design is relatively unrestricted here, in that the mythical and horror movie tropes are all freely available, and it's just a matter of having a good enemy designer for this particular game to adapt the archetypes.
quote:
Is actually IGA the true guardian of the Castlevania essences
...sort of! It was actually Hagihara who directed Rondo of Blood, which set the stage for the series' transition to exploration (yeah, I guess Akumajou Densetsu/"III" sort of did in a way), and who co-directed Nocturne. I personally have yet to see an exploratory Dracula game that equalled these two, so arguably it's been hollow with Igarashi. Put more positively, Igarashi managed to make some decent stencil games with limited resoures. Not that there's any fight to be had, here: Hagihara completely vanished from the scene and is almost impervious to internet searches in both Japanese and English. Likely a higher-up in Konami at this point.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 12 May 14:29]

Loona
857th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(7):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 12 May 16:54post reply

I'm not that into Castlevania to be overly excited for this, but considering the swordorwhip.com teaser site and the weapon creation donator tier, I wonder if someone will try and get this project in trouble with Namco-Bandai by proposing Ivy's weapon from SC as a weapon that does away with that early teaser choice.

...!!

nobinobita
1402th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 12 May 17:34:post reply

quote:
I'm really worried about the quality of art on display so far. It's a far cry from the level I expect from Castlevania. It feels very amateurish. The more you look at it, the weaker it gets. Nobi's right in all his criticisms of the art. That said, this criticism comes if we use Nocturne/SOTN as the gold standard, whereas in fact the early 8-bit art was inexcusably poor, and there have been so many truly awful designs in post-Nocturne games without Kojima, as well.

The funny thing is, monster design is relatively unrestricted here, in that the mythical and horror movie tropes are all freely available, and it's just a matter of having a good enemy designer for this particular game to adapt the archetypes.
Is actually IGA the true guardian of the Castlevania essences...sort of! It was actually Hagihara who directed Rondo of Blood, which set the stage for the series' transition to exploration (yeah, I guess Akumajou Densetsu/"III" sort of did in a way), and who co-directed Nocturne. I personally have yet to see an exploratory Dracula game that equalled these two, so arguably it's been hollow with Igarashi. Put more positively, Igarashi mana

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Haha ok some of those are pretty bad. I will defend that early art though. As much as I love Kojima's work, I also have a soft spot for the Belmont's when they were barbarians in leather shorts slaying NBA sized Bella Lugosis. The image you linked to is at least well drawn (and I'm not just saying that cos I'm pretty sure its Nintendo Power era Katsuya Terada). And as bland as some of those other designs are, they at least showcase a basic understanding of how clothes work. The new game, whoever drew it almost certainly learned how to draw clothes by studying video game concept art and not actual real life. It feels empty.

Maybe I'm being too harsh though. It's early. And I did enjoy Mighty Gunvolt. There's hope for the game yet.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Tue 12 May 17:35]

Maese
764th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(7):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Tue 12 May 17:47:post reply

quote:

Is actually IGA the true guardian of the Castlevania essences...sort of! It was actually Hagihara who directed Rondo of Blood, which set the stage for the series' transition to exploration (yeah, I guess Akumajou Densetsu/"III" sort of did in a way), and who co-directed Nocturne. I personally have yet to see an exploratory Dracula game that equalled these two, so arguably it's been hollow with Igarashi. Put more positively, Put more positively, Igarashi managed to make some decent stencil games with limited resoures. Not that there's any fight to be had, here: Hagihara completely vanished from the scene and is almost impervious to internet searches in both Japanese and English. Likely a higher-up in Konami at this point.

I completely agree. I, too, am under the impression that Iga was not precisely the key human factor behind Rondo and Symphony's awesomeness. However, creative prowess aside, you can't help but loving the man for his sheer commitment to his work. The guy seems really likable, as it transpires from this piece about how the Kickstarter video was created. I'm not exactly the biggest fan of Polygon's copywriting but, for what's worth, I've found the article quite an amusing reading.

EDIT:

quote:
The image you linked to is at least well drawn (and I'm not just saying that cos I'm pretty sure its Nintendo Power era Katsuya Terada).

Hahaha, you're right, that pic totally looks like Terada's Nintendo-era art!

[this message was edited by Maese on Tue 12 May 17:50]

Spoon
2868th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Wed 13 May 01:46post reply

In the Japanese internet, is it known who Hitoshi Akamatsu is? He's supposedly a pseudonym for one or a group of people, and he's a major credit on all the 8-bit CV games. Well, he's also credited on Snake's Revenge, the Metal Gear game that most like to pretend doesn't exist.

Professor
4279th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(9):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Wed 13 May 02:43post reply

quote:
In the Japanese internet, is it known who Hitoshi Akamatsu is? He's supposedly a pseudonym for one or a group of people, and he's a major credit on all the 8-bit CV games. Well, he's also credited on Snake's Revenge, the Metal Gear game that most like to pretend doesn't exist.

He's a programmer and it's probably not a Psudonym. From what I've heard he was one of the many staff at Konami's Kobe branch that left the company near the end of the NES' life cycle. Noone knows what happened to him after that, which isn't surprising considering that Kobe isn't exactly a place with many dev companies.

Spoon
2869th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Wed 13 May 03:02post reply

quote:

He's a programmer and it's probably not a Psudonym. From what I've heard he was one of the many staff at Konami's Kobe branch that left the company near the end of the NES' life cycle. Noone knows what happened to him after that, which isn't surprising considering that Kobe isn't exactly a place with many dev companies.

Somebody did try to find him a year or so ago!

Aside: was this book worth reading? It totally fell off my radar.

karasu
1492th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Wed 13 May 03:07post reply

quote:
That said, this criticism comes if we use Nocturne/SOTN as the gold standard, whereas in fact the early 8-bit art was inexcusably poor

Aside from seeming as though it might be Terada, I'll defend that image because it successfully channels AD&D art of the day, which I'm sure was an unspoken influence on the 8-bit era games. What I find awful in a truly charming way are the manual illustrations from the early games, works that were certainly dashed off in about 5 minutes by some barely-paid intern or underling.

I'm no great fan of the art for Bloodstained, but it's early stuff, so who can say what the finished product will look like? And for anyone who's worried that Kojima isn't involved, at the rate this thing is being funded, my guess is that she'll be pulled in at some point, in some capacity.

Given that the original top-level stretch goal from when this launched yesterday is about $5000 from being smashed, and given that an enormous and baroque variety of new stretch goals and 'backer achievements' are now out there, I'm positive that everybody involved knows what a cash cow this is. I'm already seeing Facebook posts saying how 'major publishers don't know what they're talking about' when they suggest no one wants these kinds of games. But honestly I think a bunch of its success (just like Igarashi and Mighty No. 9) comes from this idea that getting this game made is a kind of middle finger to Konami for not pursuing more 2D Metroidvanias, where people can feel like they're helping IGA get away with something. My personal opinion is that this might very well blow away some previous records for total Kickstarter hauls in the games category, but I suppose we'll see.

Spoon
2870th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Wed 13 May 04:09post reply

Blink and you'll miss it: the kickstarter is at $1.5M now.

I really liked that old NES manual art! I would like to know if there's a term for describing the style of the illustration/hatching/line/etc., particular for objects/items found in game manuals in the late80s/early 90s. If you look at the manuals for Strider, Dragon Warrior, Faxanadu, Simon's Quest... they all have it. Even the goofily and quickly dashed off characters somehow fit with the squishy, not-quite-super-deformed, strangely tactile feel of those object/item illustrations.

CHAZumaru
1476th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Dark Night Prelude" , posted Wed 13 May 06:30post reply

quote:

Aside: was this book worth reading? It totally fell off my radar.

Yes. Highly recommended.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Sparkster
12th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Fri 15 May 13:34post reply

This gon' b gud. With all of the resentment you hear towards Konami (and Capcom while I'm at it) this game is really going to clarify Igarashi's artistic prowess as a director, and the same goes with Inafune/Mighty No. 9.

Castlevania hasn't made a major platforming sequel since Symphony: all of the portable games run on mostly the same engine, reused and downsized Symphony's sprites, and tossed in a different flavor of grinding. Though I find it fitting that the project codename is Igavania as the official JP titles switched over from Akumajou/Dracula to Castlevania during the GBA/Metroidvania years.

The departure to a new IP and the transition to 3D models will at least force the themeing to be different! They've smashed their fundraising goals and the co-op one is probably the coolest thing announced for the game, but it's a shame that all the excess money they're getting now is going towards lame stuff like speedrunning modes I guess they need to appeal to their target internet audience.

Seeing how ArcSys handled Hard Corps. Uprising maybe they could rock the old style whipping action and finally take it to the next level. Either way and in light of all the Konami news, it's not like Kojima or any of the hella other Castlevania directors/producers/lost wizards wont be able to find work if they really want to go back in on a new project.

Bloodstained's stated for 2017 so we have a while to wait...

Mosquiton
2038th Post

"Re(2):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Wed 20 May 05:05post reply

quote:
This gon' b gud.

I am almost behind this sentiment, but one thing bothers me.

Crafting! I see no place for it. To quote the noble Alucard, " 'Twould be best for this world if crafting were to disappear forever." Why would I want to spent my time in menus in a game like this?

I have no desire to "farm" for "mats" here. The idea repulses me. Crafting is an "RPG element" in the same way that gristle is a "steak element." Would anyone really say that Curse of Darkness is their favorite Castlevania? I hadn't just forgotten it was a Castlevania game... I had forgotten it existed at all!

I don't have a problem with random drops. I don't mind if a weapon is a "rare drop." I accept it as part of exploring the game, and discovering the unexpected. I don't typically need to find every weapon in a game anyway. Provided the game is constructed in such a way that I end up laying my hands on a variety of interesting things, having the possibility of finding things is enough.

As another disclaimer, I want to mention that "enhancing" items you've found or bought (which is similar to crafting) can be rather enjoyable to me. Nothing stops you from using a weapon or piece of armor just because it's not level 3, and there are times when I'm happy to take any excuse just to keep enjoying a game.

However I am loathe to have to carry around a "piece" of a rare weapon that is of no use on its own, or worse, all but one pieces of a weapon that would be amazingly fun to use if I would only take the time go to a specific point in the castle and repeatedly enter/kill everything/exit the room until I got my fifth and final flaming demon testicle. Now, instead of discovering the unexpected, I'm laboring for the completely expected. I'm not interested in this.

Maybe I'm overreacting, or maybe I just felt like going on a little rant this afternoon. Maybe this game isn't going to fatally compromise itself trying to cater to base grinders and speedrunners (joking, everyone is free to like what they like!), but fortunately my money is not a crucial ingredient for them to craft the game.

I'll have to see how this goes.

/ / /

Abster
374th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Tue 26 May 10:08post reply

Don't look now but...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/posts/1241538?ref=backer_project_update

quote:
Today’s big news is a surprise so late-breaking we’re still pleasantly shocked ourselves. (It all came together last week.) The Alchemist’s Treasure sleeve ($100+ tiers) will feature special cover art by Ayami Kojima.

Even IGA was surprised! Here's what he told us: "Honestly, I really didn’t think we could convince her to join the production, so I’m overjoyed by her participation. And really, the level of involvement isn’t really important for me. The most important thing is just being able to work closely with my old friends again. We created something amazing before and to get one more golden opportunity to do this again makes me so happy. Thank you Ayami. Thank you for making time where you really had none to create this art and add your style to the project.

And here's Kojima herself: "Unfortunately I can only offer a small amount of time to show my appreciation and excitement for IGA's new project, so I'm happy to know that the art team working on it is so talented—and, more than that, that they really seem to have passion for the material they're working on. It gives me confidence that this will be a game that fans will really love, and I know I personally am looking forward to seeing how great it will be."

While she’s still too busy to commit to anything more than this art, things just feel a little more right around here now that the character designer behind so many great Igavania games has a place in the campaign. We can’t wait to see what she comes up with.

The sleeve illustrated by Kojima will be included in all Alchemist's Treasure tiers at $100+. It's an outer case that will hold the physical release (in its existing case, with backer-exclusive slipcase), the soundtrack CD, and the retro strategy booklet. It will fit snugly into the Collector's Box ($250+ tiers) which we'll talk more about later.

Maou
2793th Post

"Re(3):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Tue 26 May 11:15post reply

quote:
I'm happy to know that the art team working on it is so talented—and, more than that, that they really seem to have passion for the material they're working on
Kojima wins the Tactful Statement of the Year Award for this one. Maybe the $3 million reward can be paying the current main artists to not work on the project.

neo0r0chiaku
37th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Tue 26 May 23:16:post reply

quote:
Would anyone really say that Curse of Darkness is their favorite Castlevania? I hadn't just forgotten it was a Castlevania game... I had forgotten it existed at all!

Only reason I played that game, or why I kept playing, was because of the music. I had better time playing Castlevania 64 then Curse of Darkness!

I do not know much about Ayami Kojima and her background (nor how she is when involved in a project) but may I ask why is she not liked by most?

Long Live!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Tue 26 May 23:19]

Maou
2794th Post

"Re(5):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Wed 27 May 00:31post reply

quote:
I do not know much about Ayami Kojima and her background (nor how she is when involved in a project) but may I ask why is she not liked by most?
Huh? I'd say the opposite is true. I think only a true philistine would doubt the immense quality of her art. I mean, I'm sure there may be a few Americans who long for Belmonts who look like Conan the Barbarian or someting, but I'd say acclaim is nearly universal. What people are talking critically about above is the poor quality of the main artists for this new game.

neo0r0chiaku
37th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(6):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Wed 27 May 03:30post reply

quote:
I do not know much about Ayami Kojima and her background (nor how she is when involved in a project) but may I ask why is she not liked by most? Huh? I'd say the opposite is true. I think only a true philistine would doubt the immense quality of her art. I mean, I'm sure there may be a few Americans who long for Belmonts who look like Conan the Barbarian or someting, but I'd say acclaim is nearly universal. What people are talking critically about above is the poor quality of the main artists for this new game.

Ops, sorry I was reading it wrong and got confused a bit. So I guess everyone wants her in this project then. I thought the opposite as I read wrong. Thanks!

Long Live!

Maou
2795th Post

"Re(7):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Wed 27 May 04:35post reply

Yeah! You know, I would probably support this project monetarily if it were all Kojima art!

Am I the only Dracula fan at the Cafe crazy enough to have avoided all post-GBA Metroidvanias because of the terrible art? I can sort of justify it in terms of the gothic, refined atmosphere needing to be part of the experience. Now that I have Dracula on the mind, I might get around to the final DS game, which is gorgeous!

Spoon
2883th Post

"Re(8):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Wed 27 May 06:11post reply

quote:
Yeah! You know, I would probably support this project monetarily if it were all Kojima art!

Am I the only Dracula fan at the Cafe crazy enough to have avoided all post-GBA Metroidvanias because of the terrible art? I can sort of justify it in terms of the gothic, refined atmosphere needing to be part of the experience. Now that I have Dracula on the mind, I might get around to the final DS game, which is gorgeous!

If that is true, then you would be missing out on Order of Ecclesia which has both really good art and the challenge that has been missing from the Metroidvanias (without being quite as obnoxiously challenging as, say, Chelsea and the Seven Devils).

Maou
2796th Post

"Re(9):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Wed 27 May 06:26post reply

quote:
If that is true, then you would be missing out on Order of Ecclesia which has both really good art and the challenge that has been missing from the Metroidvanias (without being quite as obnoxiously challenging as, say, Chelsea and the Seven Devils).

Yes, that is the one! The Stolen Seal/Order! That art be fantastic, and apparently it's actually fun to play?

Spoon
2884th Post

"Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Wed 27 May 06:46post reply

quote:
Yes, that is the one! The Stolen Seal/Order! That art be fantastic, and apparently it's actually fun to play?

The problem with Aria of Sorrow is that it's SotN-lite. OoE actually tries to reinvigorate the game by making each zone a little more linear, but each encounter within the zones a little more challenging. There is backtracking between the zones, though.

I think it's the best Konami Metroidvania post-SotN.

But I also haven't played Lords of Shadow.

karasu
1501th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Wed 27 May 07:08post reply

quote:

It's without question the best of the post-SoTN games, handily. And it was I think in large part due to its willingness to discard so many of the conventions of the 'genre' if you can call it that. It modernizes SoTN in all the right ways and is probably closer to what a modern indie Metroidvania should be than SoTN itself.
quote:

Let's all agree to discuss it as the mirror-universe Castlevania, shall we? And that is if we have to actually discuss it at all, which I would prefer we didn't. The only thing Bloodborne is missing to keep it from being the perfect, idealized 3D image of the classic Castlevania game is any sort of platforming element at all.

Iggy
9917th Post

"Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Wed 27 May 09:10post reply

quote:
Order of Ecclesia
I have troubles to decide whether I like Ecclesia better than SOTN. Either I played Ecclesia at a good time and I only remember the best moments and nostalgia makes me think the game is better than it is, or nostalgia twists my perception of SOTN's actual qualities and defaults in 2015.
Everything in-between (or after) was forgettable, and rightfully forgotten. Except maybe that Wiiware game, which was really nice and unfortunately not ported anywhere else.

neo0r0chiaku
39th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Wed 27 May 12:23post reply

quote:

The problem with Aria of Sorrow is that it's SotN-lite. OoE actually tries to reinvigorate the game by making each zone a little more linear, but each encounter within the zones a little more challenging. There is backtracking between the zones, though.

I think it's the best Konami Metroidvania post-SotN.

I concur that OoE has been the best since SOTN. I just played it for the first time last year and still have not beaten the boss yet (been busy as well). Music made it so much fantastic that back tracking to zones did not feel troublesome. Bosses were far challenging than any Castlevania game on the handheld.

Long Live!

Ishmael
5176th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Sun 31 May 22:36post reply

quote:
It's without question the best of the post-SoTN games, handily. And it was I think in large part due to its willingness to discard so many of the conventions of the 'genre' if you can call it that. It modernizes SoTN in all the right ways and is probably closer to what a modern indie Metroidvania should be than SoTN itself.

It is a shame that OoC is now seen as a well regarded anomaly instead of being as influential as SoTN. A lot of games -including several Castlevania titles- could learn something from the lessons OoC presented.

But to get back to Maou's original query, I agree with everyone else in that OoC was a hoot. Not only did it feel like it was trying to something fresh with the formula but the heroine Shanoa could fight like Geese Howard and carry three birds on her shoulders at one time. That level of kooky imagination is what I most love about the best Castlevania games.

Maou
2797th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Tue 2 Jun 04:02post reply

quote:
Shanoa could fight like Geese Howard and carry three birds on her shoulders at one time.
SOLD! I already was, but more so now. Throwing peanuts was one of my favorite things to do with Alucard. I also love his Japanese-style secret boots ("makes you slightly taller." By one pixel!)

kofoguz
1176th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(5):Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Tue 2 Jun 18:18post reply

quote:
Shanoa could fight like Geese Howard and carry three birds on her shoulders at one time.SOLD! I already was, but more so now. Throwing peanuts was one of my favorite things to do with Alucard. I also love his Japanese-style secret boots ("makes you slightly taller." By one pixel!)

OoE was my first Castlevania. It really helped pass the time on long İstanbul transportations! Then I finished Dawn of Sorrow. Now I'm about to finish Aria of Sorrow. What was best about OoE was you had lots of choices and you are actively couraged to used them. But latter two even though they have the choices, you really dont need to bother.Or maybe I didnt collect enough souls?

Maou
2804th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Tue 9 Jun 14:43:post reply

It's kind of fun to watch them play around with the movement animation in this early video.

Meanwhile, the oddness of Kickstarter culture continues to make an impression: the options that would have been great from the beginning but are only now available in diminished form to be shoe-horned in, like real artists like Kojima and Amano doing art rather than whoever they had before they were expecting to make any money.

It's also sort of strange to see how...American the whole process is, with the fan-centered approach that ironically still feels so heavily managed with all the PR people floating about. Why is the translated Japanese Kickstarter page so poor, not in terms of language but in terms of conveying the same information rather than what you would want to know (what the hell is "Igavania," an acronym that does not make sense in this context?), and in translating FAQs but not the answers? The US market is surely the largest for old monster movie stuff, but the inbalance strikes me as odd. Still, I guess a good game might come out of it!

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 9 Jun 14:50]

Ishmael
5184th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Wed 10 Jun 03:09post reply

quote:
It's kind of fun to watch them play around with the movement animation in this early video.

I like how Igarashi noted that the character should be animated in a jogging motion to indicate her determination and sense of forward momentum. I started re-playing OoE again and was struck by how Shanoa's walking animation makes it look like she is barreling through a level even when she isn't moving all that quickly. Setting the mood through those small visual indicators is really important.

I also like that the video was smart enough to only show the game from a distance and at an angle. No one can complain that the game doesn't look like the concept art if they can't make out any details!

kofoguz
1179th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(8):Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Wed 10 Jun 03:52post reply

The site is updated. It says now Amano is also involved for Collector Box. He's going to draw a poster for the game.

Baines
430th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Wed 10 Jun 04:51post reply

quote:
It's also sort of strange to see how...American the whole process is, with the fan-centered approach that ironically still feels so heavily managed with all the PR people floating about.

The atmosphere in the video felt so much healthier than some other Kickstarters.

Iga not only looked happy and capable, it looked like he listened to and respected the other workers. That is almost a polar opposite of what Peter Molyneux's Godus developer videos portrayed, and is better than some others as well.

Maou
2805th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Wed 10 Jun 10:31:post reply

quote:
The atmosphere in the video felt so much healthier than some other Kickstarters.

Iga not only looked happy and capable, it looked like he listened to and respected the other workers. That is almost a polar opposite of what Peter Molyneux's Godus developer videos portrayed, and is better than some others as well.

Baines, that's so interesting. I guess perceptions vary widely, or else the standard Kickstarter video really is quite dismal. For me, Igarashi feels sort of surrounded by these hammy Americans and the casual-yet-highly-managed tone of the website messages throws me off, but you're right, at least he gets to talk a lot in the videos about what he cares about, and his interpreter/handler is translating accurately. It'd still be nice if the non-US Kickstarter page were up to par.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 10 Jun 10:32]

Spoon
2903th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Wed 10 Jun 11:04post reply

quote:
surrounded by these hammy Americans

It's worth noting that most Kickstarter videos feature the developers, who, except for the ones already are used to being on camera, are not versed in being on camera. So you get all the flavors of awkwardly ordinary, and, for the people that are really enthusiastic about what they're working with, awkwardly enthusiastic.

Baines
432th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Fri 12 Jun 01:04:post reply

quote:
Baines, that's so interesting. I guess perceptions vary widely, or else the standard Kickstarter video really is quite dismal. For me, Igarashi feels sort of surrounded by these hammy Americans and the casual-yet-highly-managed tone of the website messages throws me off, but you're right, at least he gets to talk a lot in the videos about what he cares about, and his interpreter/handler is translating accurately. It'd still be nice if the non-US Kickstarter page were up to par.

As Spoon says, you get several videos with developers that perhaps shouldn't be on camera.

Making matters worse is that a lot of Kickstarters already look shaky if you look closely at them. Then, rather than competent reassurance, you get a video which is either narrated by a snake oil salesmen that is obviously selling dreams or by a guy who looks just as shaky as the project sounds. Sometimes this only reveals the truth. Text doesn't always reveal how out of their depth or clueless a lead dev might be, or just how poorly thought out a project might be.

Peter Molyneux is almost special, though. One of his "meet the people working on the project" style videos to me portrayed a silent development hell. The working devs seemed scared to be caught on film. Molyneux seemed to only have a vague idea of the work people were doing and to the state of the game. He'd talk to someone, and on camera would just start hyping features that didn't exist. When a dev said the game didn't do that, Molyneux in his sugar and sweetness voice would tell the guy to see if he can add it. You could just feel the developers slowly dying inside.

(To be fair, according to developers who worked on the project, the development environment on Godus was apparently worse than what I felt from watching the video.)

With the Iga video, you get the image of a knowledgeable involved developer. He's serious about his work, but having fun. He's not making big promises. He's believable when he talks positively about the contributions of other developers, not forcing it, talking about it in natural conversation, and not overhyping it. It is rather different from videos of developers trying to sell sell sell an idea.

[this message was edited by Baines on Fri 12 Jun 01:16]

karasu
1505th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(10):Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Fri 12 Jun 02:57post reply

Well, it's official: Bloodstained is now the most funded videogame ever on Kickstarter. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest-- if anything I'm glad that if anyone's getting paid by a Kickstarter for a Metroidvania... oops, er, I mean IGAvania, it's IGA.

Speaking of that term Igavania, I wonder if it might be that while -vania could be legally shown to be short for Transylvania, Metroid- is just the name of another company's actual game-- and that that's the reason for the change of term.

Maou, I agree with you about the smarminess of some of the Americans in the video, but I have a bit of an icky feeling about the whole enterprise, with all of the talk of the game's actual cost, and the sideways way in which the Kickstarter was never explicitly represented (until it was pointed out in the media) as being the last little bit of the needed funding, the bulk of which was coming from... who knows?

I'm sure it will be a fine game, and I'll certainly pick it up, but to me this game in particular shows how Kickstarter is being used less and less for its actual mandate-- that is to crowdfund small or niche projects that couldn't get made otherwise.

Professor
4294th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Fri 12 Jun 03:41post reply

quote:
Why is the translated Japanese Kickstarter page so poor, not in terms of language but in terms of conveying the same information rather than what you would want to know (what the hell is "Igavania," an acronym that does not make sense in this context?), and in translating FAQs but not the answers? The US market is surely the largest for old monster movie stuff, but the inbalance strikes me as odd. Still, I guess a good game might come out of it!

Oh wow, I didn't realize there was a Japanese page until you pointed it out! I just checked it, thanks.. ...IT'S SOULLESS, lol. Although to be fair, that's pretty typical of Kickstarter projects even originating in Japan, probably because there's very few backers. I don't think it's that the Japanese audiences aren't interested, it's more that doing so is a pain. There's no Japanese page for the registration and there's no support for e-money; noone uses Paypal here.

Personally, I'm a bit concerned about the project after seeing the last video. I thought Inti Create had some seasoned developers but they seem... well, inexperienced. Everyone at the office was looking at Igarashi while he was being filmed, which seriously reminded me of how interns here would crowd around the doctor as he checks his patients.

I always considered Igarashi to be the typical "came from the dev-field" producer who doesn't push his staff to their limit, which is good as long as they're innovative. Hopefully that'll be the same for this project.

Oh, and here's a link for Maou-
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201506/11080350.html

Maou
2806th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Fri 12 Jun 07:09:post reply

quote:
IT'S SOULLESS
Hahah, doesn't it suck? But thanks to the link you sent, Prof, at least there is more useful information in Japanese now. Hope your fears on Inti Creates end up not coming true---at the very least, I like the way in this interview, Igarashi emphasizes the passion and energy of staff, and seems intent on allowing the same energetic and playful environment he had in other games that allowed for weird touches like peanuts, the rubber duckie, the deadly confession room in the library, the tragic birdkeeper, and so many other quirky asides...since he used to do it himself when he was young!

Now if only he would come up for a sensible Japanese title for the new game...

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 12 Jun 07:14]

Spoon
2912th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Fri 12 Jun 08:07post reply

quote:
IT'S SOULLESS Hahah, doesn't it suck? But thanks to the link you sent, Prof, at least there is more useful information in Japanese now. Hope your fears on Inti Creates end up not coming true---at the very least, I like the way in this interview, Igarashi emphasizes the passion and energy of staff, and seems intent on allowing the same energetic and playful environment he had in other games that allowed for weird touches like peanuts, the rubber duckie, the deadly confession room in the library, the tragic birdkeeper, and so many other quirky asides...since he used to do it himself when he was young!

Now if only he would come up for a sensible Japanese title for the new game...

I just hope that the final boss enters saying, "You thought it was Gebel... but it was me, IGA!"

Among the most memorable enemies for me in SotN are Legion and Yorick. I couldn't strike down Yorick without saying "Alas, poor Yorick!" aloud. What a wonderful idea to have an incidental character be based on Yorick, and for him to be chasing his skull around.

Maou
2807th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" , posted Fri 12 Jun 11:00:post reply

quote:
I couldn't strike down Yorick without saying "Alas, poor Yorick!" aloud.
Outstanding! You win the Cafe's monthly Classy Gentleman award.

Fun fact: despite the awful acting, rewriting, and terrible copyediting I witnessed the one time I was unfortunate enough to play Nocturne/SOTN in English, they did add a few clever references, "Yorick" being one such improvement from the lame original, "Soccer Boy." But fear not: there is other foolery about in the original to make up for this: somewhere in the castle, there is one skeleton who fights with a whip and who is named 死門, or Simon, but with homophone "gates of death" instead of the usual シモン script. I usually feel a little bad when Alucard one-hits him.

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 12 Jun 11:06]