Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (5184 Views )

neo0r0chiaku
4th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Customer

"Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Sun 12 Apr 04:09post reply

I think in my years of viewing MMC, I have not come across a SRW thread before. So I wanted to create one to see if any fans of the series are present here and if so, input your insights on the series.
I personally, am not a fan of any kind of RPG genres. Growing up I only played games in the likes of SF/KOF, Raiden/Ikaruga, Megaman/Castlevania, Zelda/Mario, etc. I never went outside the circle of genres, especially in 2-d fighting games. However, when I stumbled upon SRW for Saturn/PSX, I fell in love with the game for some reason. Not sure because I am an anime fan or an anime game finally done right in my point of view. Who know but I am one of those who begs for an English version of the series.
As some of you may know, it uses multiple anime IPs for it to be impossible for an English version. SRW original Generation was the first to use in-house characters and saw the release of OG 1 and 2 on the GBA. SRW OG for the PS3, a 3 part series, has been release but not outside Japan. They remade the very first SRW on the PSN. New SRWs have been released on multiple platforms to these days.
My opinion is, why not release the games with the choice of language settings aside from Japanese?

Long Live!

Replies:

Lord SNK
53th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Mon 13 Apr 03:23post reply

quote:
I think in my years of viewing MMC, I have not come across a SRW thread before. So I wanted to create one to see if any fans of the series are present here and if so, input your insights on the series.
I personally, am not a fan of any kind of RPG genres. Growing up I only played games in the likes of SF/KOF, Raiden/Ikaruga, Megaman/Castlevania, Zelda/Mario, etc. I never went outside the circle of genres, especially in 2-d fighting games. However, when I stumbled upon SRW for Saturn/PSX, I fell in love with the game for some reason. Not sure because I am an anime fan or an anime game finally done right in my point of view. Who know but I am one of those who begs for an English version of the series.
As some of you may know, it uses multiple anime IPs for it to be impossible for an English version. SRW original Generation was the first to use in-house characters and saw the release of OG 1 and 2 on the GBA. SRW OG for the PS3, a 3 part series, has been release but not outside Japan. They remade the very first SRW on the PSN. New SRWs have been released on multiple platforms to these days.
My opinion is, why not release the games with the choice of language settings aside from Japanese?

I'm a fan of SRW!
I discovered the series by chance in 2001 searching for anime/gundam related games for SNES, when I found SRW3, never heard of it before, played it and loved it!
From that game I started studying katakana/hiragana, some kanji (and stopped there, it's too much difficult to learn a new language by myself), the minimum to play the games without problems.
Then I played (and bought) at least 75% of all the games in this series.
The only problem I have with this series is the length! Games with 60+ stages require at least 60 hours to finish one playthrough, and sadly in the last years my free time it's not like it used to be, not always allowing me to make multiple playthroughs for all the routes/secrets.
I played OG1 and OG2 for GBA, liked them, but I prefer the classic series (probably because I grew up watching a lot or robot animes from '70/'80/'90).
I think that Bandai Namco / Banpresto has the resources to include eventually an english option in the games, but the last games released didn't sell really well or at least not so well for them to spend more money (and time) to add also english (and moreover, what should they do with names of peoples/mechs that don't have an official english spelling?)

Loona
846th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Mon 13 Apr 19:15post reply

quote:

The problem with the OG SRW games is that they're a niche within a niche - you get in touch with their original characters by playing the anime crossovers, and the OG games are pretty much about those characters, an probably a few creative and gameplay liberties not possible when bound to anime stories.

That brings another problem - to make us care about their original characters, most SRW games tend to put their OG characters at the center of the story, making us start the game with them, and making the final bosses mostly relevant to those characters, which can get annoying.
I still remember playing the fan-translated SRW3, and enjoying the fact it started you right off the bat with classic Gundam, Mazinger and Getter Robo, and original character were only introduced and forced into your party about halfway to the game.
That sort of thing no longer ever happens - it's pretty much "HERE ARE OUR CHARACTERS AND YOU WILL LOVE THEM, BUY OUR OG GAMES!", although fortunately they still manage to create some interesting situations for and between the characters that actually attracted people to the games.

Not that I don't respect and admire some of the stuff that still managed to develop from the OG stuff - Valsione is a concept just silly enough to be entertaining, as is the Trombe override and "real men ride each other" meme.

Still, it's probably too niche for Banpresto to bother to translate everything those games have A LOT of text - basically really big visual novels with additional text for the SRPG manus and special lines during combat.

Atlus did localize a couple of OG games for the GBA, but the timing was apparently unfortunate, near the end of the handheld's lifespan, and with little promotion, so that didn't help either.

One thing I really respect about those games is their insane commitment to continuity and references to past obscure games - if a character or machine was created for some game with Gundam in it, they'll toss that in the OG games and anything else connected with them, and that continuity fever never really stopped, considering they have a character like Gilliam Yeager around, who's basically the series' equivalent to FF's Gilgamesh, that those games are canon to Endless Fontier, which in turn is canon to Namco X Capcom and Project X Zone, theorethically tying them to an insane amount of stuff... it's kind of admirable keeping plot threads running through multiple games all these years...

...!!

chazumaru
1463th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Tue 14 Apr 01:07post reply

quote:

Alas, they'd probably release a Chinese version before bothering with English, in that case.

quote:
Not that I don't respect and admire some of the stuff that still managed to develop from the OG stuff

Regarding original characters, it always seemed to me that the entire Masoukishin spin-off saga was much more interesting (both concept-wise and story-wise) than the more "traditional" OG episodes. I might be wrong but it does not seem that a single original character from the past 15 years has passed Shuu Shirakawa in terms of popularity (although it is understandable as the series as a whole sold better in those early years).

I cannot call myself a big fan of the series, but I fell into it when the Saturn episodes came out and the breadth of possibilities was quite impressive.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Toxico
5948th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Tue 14 Apr 08:31:post reply

quote:

Alas, they'd probably release a Chinese version before bothering with English, in that case.

I remember that the "international" vesions have chinese manuals, not sure about the in game language, though.

quote:

Not that I don't respect and admire some of the stuff that still managed to develop from the OG stuff
Regarding original characters, it always seemed to me that the entire Masoukishin spin-off saga was much more interesting (both concept-wise and story-wise) than the more "traditional" OG episodes. I might be wrong but it does not seem that a single original character from the past 15 years has passed Shuu Shirakawa in terms of popularity (although it is understandable as the series as a whole sold better in those early years).

I pretty much agree, it's pretty obvious that Banpresto was truly experimental and restrain-free when they created the details for the masoukishin universe; they were truly aiming for "an anime within a game", which made the series stand out in many ways..... In pretty much all of the other games, they never took things that far with any other of their originals (and when they tried, it never felt truly right).

For masoukishin, I truly liked that "micro universe" way of doing things and investigating and organizating all of the small bits of trivia here and there was pretty fun to the point where I could talk for about forever about all of the stuff that has caught my attention (trying to do it within a 65k character limit is quite challeging).

Shuu pretty much follows the ironclad rule of "the rival has to be cooler than the main character", and Banpresto always saves something good for him to do storyline wise, which has helped keep his popularity strong across the years.

quote:

I cannot call myself a big fan of the series, but I fell into it when the Saturn episodes came out and the breadth of possibilities was quite impressive.

Hmmm, in my case I remember touching 4 long ago recommended by a friend that was into @ ; that's part of what motivated me to learn more than kana and hira, so I should be grateful, I guess?

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

[this message was edited by Toxico on Tue 14 Apr 08:33]

neo0r0chiaku
6th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1

New Customer

"Re(3):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Tue 14 Apr 21:55:post reply

quote:

I am surprised and glad to hear some of you liked the series during its brief Saturn run. It was amazing and made you want to learn kana and hira. At that time, and afterwards, the final episode of F for the Saturn was impossible to find. Ironically, right now on ebay, it sells for around $20 bucks. Masoukishin was very intriguing on the SNES. I have only played part one. Part II, III, and III final were released in the past couple of years in full 3-D. I assume some of you played them? I am not a fan of the full 3-D. I think it takes away that anime look and feel of the game. SRW @ was one of the best as well. The three mentioned seemed like classics to most of us.
quote:

quote:

I remember that the "international" vesions have chinese manuals, not sure about the in game language, though.

The last SRW, SRW Z3 Final, was recently released. Reading an article about the sales, it seems that this game(and others as well) is region free. Aside from the DS games, I never knew the other console releases were region free. What I originally meant about the English language was if the game is region free, add a English language setting (or even multiple languages). Some games you can choose different language settings. Now it should be simple with these translation programs we have available. Sure the names might be screwy.

One question I would like to ask is, what happens if they release an online version of SRW. How would that be made and turn out? What ideas would come to mind in terms of how SRW online can be delivered?

Long Live!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Tue 14 Apr 21:57]

Loona
847th Post

"Re(4):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Tue 14 Apr 23:22post reply

quote:
One question I would like to ask is, what happens if they release an online version of SRW. How would that be made and turn out? What ideas would come to mind in terms of how SRW online can be delivered?

Built for online? It might have to focus on original, but it could still be a bit of a mess... In the crossover SRWs you can't have characters piloting mechs from different franchises, with the possible exception of cross-continuity Gundam (and even that might be limited, like letting UC pilots use Turn A machines).
Customization tends to be a bi deal in online games, and losing those interesting options would be disappointing, more than it already is in the single-player games, since those at least have crossover dialogue to make up for it.

I know there's an online Gundam game, so maybe that could be a model, but even applying the concept to SRW originals would be tricky, since OG games tend to assign specific pilots to certain mechs even if the licensing issues of the anime games don't apply - which is why something like Sanger and Ratsel performing a Royal Heartbreaker is only possible by fan edit, since those mechs are pilot-exclusive.

I think some of the charm would have to be lost for the whole thing to work - then again, there are superhero MMOs based on licensed comics, where you get your pick of powers to make your OC.

OK, then that would take care of the mech access factor - then there's the adaptation of the mechanics for online - that might lead to a shift from turn-based to action game. But then that make the game closer to an Another Century's Episode game, which is basically action SRW where you control a single mech at the time.

At that point, is it even SRW?...

...!!

karasu
1483th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

"Re(4):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Wed 15 Apr 00:34post reply

quote:
I am surprised and glad to hear some of you liked the series during its brief Saturn run. It was amazing and made you want to learn kana and hira. At that time, and afterwards, the final episode of F for the Saturn was impossible to find. Ironically, right now on ebay, it sells for around $20 bucks. Masoukishin was very intriguing on the SNES. I have only played part one. Part II, III, and III final were released in the past couple of years in full 3-D. I assume some of you played them? I am not a fan of the full 3-D. I think it takes away that anime look and feel of the game. SRW @ was one of the best as well. The three mentioned seemed like classics to most of us.

I got my start with the series in the Saturn era as well, but I never really got past ogling the eye candy and memorizing the order of the menus back in those days. The most recent game I played was... one of the early ones for PSP although I'm forgetting the name. With somewhat better Japanese knowledge it ended up being MUCH easier to play.

quote:

The last SRW, SRW Z3 Final, was recently released. Reading an article about the sales, it seems that this game(and others as well) is region free. Aside from the DS games, I never knew the other console releases were region free. What I originally meant about the English language was if the game is region free, add a English language setting (or even multiple languages). Some games you can choose different language settings. Now it should be simple with these translation programs we have available. Sure the names might be screwy.

Region free is a long way from having full international translations though. The bottom line is that even though it's certainly cheaper these days than back in the Saturn era to get translations done, it's still quite an investment. Especially when it would be not exactly aboveboard as a western-region release, just a region free game. I seem to recall an anomalous game or two from a decade or more ago that included English subtitles but was never released in the west, but those are definitely exceptions.

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

Lord SNK
54th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Wed 15 Apr 03:32post reply

quote:

SRW XO for XBOX it's the only SRW that has an online multiplayer mode, but as I never played that game I don't know how it works (worked? probably now the servers are down?).

neo0r0chiaku
6th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Thu 16 Apr 23:43post reply

quote:

I got my start with the series in the Saturn era as well, but I never really got past ogling the eye candy and memorizing the order of the menus back in those days. The most recent game I played was... one of the early ones for PSP although I'm forgetting the name. With somewhat better Japanese knowledge it ended up being MUCH easier to play.

The last SRW, SRW Z3 Final, was recently released. Reading an article about the sales, it seems that this game(and others as well) is region free. Aside from the DS games, I never knew the other console releases were region free. What I originally meant about the English language was if the game is region free, add a English language setting (or even multiple languages). Some games you can choose different language settings. Now it should be simple

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

I remember some Japanese games from my Saturn/Dreamcast days had different language settings. I do not really remember which aside from KOF 96 for the Saturn.
I wonder since Banpresto was bought by Bandai and Namco bought Bandai, if Namco or even Bandai will start putting some of their Ips into SRW. Maybe for instant Xenosaga(Not including the SRW Endless Frontierseries.)? As an attempt to get their fans into SRW or expanding SRW to more people not familiar with the series.

Long Live!

chazumaru
1466th Post

"Re(6):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Fri 17 Apr 04:36post reply

quote:
I remember some Japanese games from my Saturn/Dreamcast days had different language settings. I do not really remember which aside from KOF 96 for the Saturn.

Hmm I do not remember seeing that in any game besides ports of Neo Geo games, which ususally included Japanese/English/Spanish Portuguese versions like the original ROM.

quote:
I wonder since Banpresto was bought by Bandai and Namco bought Bandai, if Namco or even Bandai will start putting some of their Ips into SRW.

If you want to be accurate, the situation is closer to Bandai taking control Namco (although it was technically a merger, not a purchase) and Banpresto was fully absorbed after the merger. I don't think so many IP from Namco would fit the series as they did not have so many giant robots in their games. I can only think of your Xenosaga example right now... They could maybe have Jack from Tekken. Banpresto did include robots from Sega's Virtual On series in the PS2 era, and I guess Border Break could follow suit. But I would not be surprised if Leynos appeared instead, following the recent revival of the series on PS4.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Sparkster
14th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Fri 15 May 14:08:post reply

I mashed through SRW W, A3, and Z1 a few years ago without any real JP knowledge, but GaoGaiGar managed to carry me pretty well. I never finished Original Generation but the budgeting strategy in that game felt real because you weren't tossed cash and you didn't have that many units to sortie for a long time. The coolest part of the game (barring Kyosuke dunking on everyone) was the ability to upgrade the modular weapons so you could dump cash into making a strong rifle and then have to decide who to make a powerhouse and who could manage on their own with their basic attacks or mech super moves.

I'm playing Z3-III/Tengoku now and not using any upgrades since you can't play at higher difficulty levels until after you've beaten the game!! That's a long-ass time to invest, so I wish they'd just plan the game around kicking your ass a little harder so that you'd have to balance what mechs and pilots to upgrade while still trying to find your favorite pet units to prioritize as your aces. You can still go for the SR Points which will gradually up the difficulty, but it hasn't been really noticeable yet. Thankfully it's the conclusion of the Z series which means you have dozens of mechs and pilots to sort through to try to optimize teams to your own playstyle. I booted Kamille out of Zeta Gundam for an old UC Gundam pilot just to gave better pilot skills to support the team leader, Turn-A.

I missed out of a lot of the old SR-X drama and backstory, but I really like all of the super robot original characters. Playing now I know some kana/hira/kanji so I can pick up on the story. Z's protag Hibiki is average, but don't get me started on how cool Raioh or Alteisen or GUNLEON are.

I kind of hope they could somehow pull off a Gunleon animation.

[this message was edited by Sparkster on Fri 15 May 14:10]

Loona
861th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Fri 15 May 17:59post reply

I didn't play an of the Z's, but the upgraded Gunleon music is amazing in its simplicity.

...!!

neo0r0chiaku
30th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Fri 15 May 21:12post reply

quote:
I mashed through SRW W, A3, and Z1 a few years ago without any real JP knowledge, but GaoGaiGar managed to carry me pretty well. I never finished Original Generation but the budgeting strategy in that game felt real because you weren't tossed cash and you didn't have that many units to sortie for a long time. The coolest part of the game (barring Kyosuke dunking on everyone) was the ability to upgrade the modular weapons so you could dump cash into making a strong rifle and then have to decide who to make a powerhouse and who could manage on their own with their basic attacks or mech super moves.

I'm playing Z3-III/Tengoku now and not using any upgrades since you can't play at higher difficulty levels until after you've beaten the game!! That's a long-ass time to invest, so I wish they'd just plan the game around kicking your ass a little harder so that you'd have to balance what mechs and pilots to upgrade while still trying to find your favorite pet units to prioritize as your aces. You can still go for the SR Points which will gradually up the difficulty, but it hasn't been really noticeable yet. Thankfully it's the conclusion of the Z series which means you have dozens of mechs and pilots to sort through to try to optimize teams to your own playstyle. I booted Kamille out of Zeta Gundam for an old UC Gundam pilot just to gave better pilot skills to support the team leader, Turn-A.

I missed out of a lot of the old SR-X drama and backstory, but I really like all of

After watching Gunleon moves, He pretty cool. Z3 looks good after watching videos of all the mechs moves. I just hope that this is not the last SRW on console with this 2D/2.5D style of graphics. Not a fan of the full 3-D ones like Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masō Kishin F – Coffin of the End.

Long Live!

chazumaru
1482th Post

"Re(3):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Sun 17 May 21:35post reply

I am catching up on the little known Spanish game development scene of the 80s and you gotta love that Mazinger cameo on the ZX Spetcrum.

Même Narumi est épatée !

karasu
1498th Post

"Re(4):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Mon 18 May 07:34post reply

quote:
I am catching up on the little known Spanish game development scene of the 80s and you gotta love that Mazinger cameo on the ZX Spetcrum.

Wow, that's fantastic! If I recall correctly, Mazinger-Z was/is extremely popular in Spain. Either way, that looks like a an interesting take on a giant robot simulation.

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

Loona
865th Post

"Re(5):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Mon 18 May 18:39post reply

This is tangentially related, but I finally finished Project X Zone yesterday - it was interesting to see a little exchange between Haken from Endless Frontier and Cyberbots' Devilotte as the characters from the future said their goodbyes before leaving via Cross Gate (a staple of SRW multiversal travel).
Haken mentions something about a mad scientist he knows, which if I know my SRW lore correctly would be one Lemon Browning, who created the W series of androids, of which Haken is the first, and the most famous is Lamia Loveless from SRW Advance and the OG games.
Devilotte, as soon as she hears that, mentions that Haken "WILL" introduce them, which I'd like to interpret as Banpresto's willingness to cover the Cyberbots/Armored Warriors setting in a future SRW game, where it would fit a lot better than in PXZ.
It was also interesting that she also specifically mentioned "Dr Stein" there, the scientist of her usual entourage, while all localized materials I'm aware of refer to them by unrelated plain names... baby steps...

...!!

chazumaru
1485th Post

"Re(6):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Tue 19 May 04:17:post reply

Out of curiosity, did this make you more or less excited about the upcoming sequel ?
I guess you started or at least came back to PxZ because of the recent communication around the sequel?

(Oh, and the last time I asked a question like this we got Toxico's Next Great South-American Novel on the vices and virtues of Jack in Tekken. Not putting pressure on you or anything, but...)

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Tue 19 May 16:49]

Maese
767th Post

"Re(5):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Tue 19 May 14:20post reply

quote:

Wow, that's fantastic! If I recall correctly, Mazinger-Z was/is extremely popular in Spain. Either way, that looks like a an interesting take on a giant robot simulation.

You are right, Mazinger was EXTREMELY popular in Spain during the 70s/early 80s, so these kind of tributes do not come as a surprise. The giant robot craze stirred by Go Nagai fade off during late 80s, but it is still fire branded on the memories of a whole generation. I know fellow Spaniards who were kids back then and still swear by Mazinger to this day!

Loona
866th Post

"Re(7):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Tue 19 May 18:20post reply

quote:
Out of curiosity, did this make you more or less excited about the upcoming sequel ?
(I guess you started or at least came back to PxZ because of the recent communication around the sequel?)

I'm pretty enthused by the fact that PXZ exists, considering its scope seemed unprecedented (I even made a little something to celebrate its existence to the sound of what I consider the anthem to crossovers). I bought the localized version on release day along with a 3DS and started playing it then, but the following day I started a relationship that's still going strong, and the game sort of fell into the background since - the announcement of the sequel gave me extra motivation to finally finish it.

The news that the game succeeded to the point where a sequel is announced as a worldwide release is pretty exciting news, and SoR's presence in it is icing on the cake (with Axel in as the apparent sole playable character, I now wonder about a Shiva boss in there...).
At most I worry that a localization team won't have the time to research references properly as they might have had for PXZ1 - the original not only covered playable characters, enemies, organizations, locations and concepts in a mini-encyclopedia you'd unlock, but also had plenty oblique references to stuff outside the officially included series (even Outfoxies and God Hand), mentions to entirely absent side characters and equipable items from the source games where it might be easy to slip into different romanization conventions.

On the other hand, with the first game having served as a proof of concept for a large-scale 3-way crossover, there's perhaps more room for devs to include their favored series and play with the writing more - Namco X Capcom's series interactions were IMO superior (on the Namco side alone, Bravoman has connections with a surprising number of series, and they actually make interesting use of the UGSF meta-series), possibly because many of the series there were obscure and old enough to have been part of the devs' youth, so they had years to dream up fun situations for them, with few compromises along the way, like using the Resident Evil Dead Aim characters because Jill and Chris were off-limits at the time (something about their games being bound to the Nintendo console of the time IIRC).

It's a shame NxC was never officially localized, but at least its story can still be enjoyed through the fan translation (typo-riddled as it may be) and matching Youtube videos - even if the gameplay got monotonous, another good news is that in a recent interview the devs acknowledged the problems with PXZ's gameplay (which has been further refined since NxC through the Endless Frontier games - the 2nd of which also remains unlocalized), so maybe things will be further streamlined - as far as I'm concerned, the game could work fine as a visual novel (branching paths that would give extra focus to a favored series would be nice, but these thing always degenerate into being about the original characters by the end).

And speaking of story, between the writing in PXZ, the announcements so far and the precedents from NxC, things could be heading in interesting directions:

* Strider Hiryu is in PXZ2, as he was in NxC - in the previous game, his own final boss (Grand Master Meiou) was the last one before the game's original, which is sort of a big deal considering the game's scope; in PXZ, that role was Jedah's in the Fetus of God stage - there aren't any DS characters announced yet, but the series' absence would be surprising, and if both Strider and DS are back with their respective final bosses, I wonder which of them will rank higher in the story, or if any will be suplanted by a non-original.

* although Vega/Bison was dealt with in NxC, he gets referenced again by the end of PXZ, mostly by Juri as someone who still needs to be dealt with

* in NxC Kazuya only appeared as his Devil self, sometimes entirely possessed, and even spent some time imprisoned by the Ghouls'n Ghosts and Tower of Druaga villains in that state - in PXZ2 he's back and teamed with Jin, but I'd be surprised if the red arremers weren't back, they're useful fodder in these things

* in PXZ Dural was a recurring character, but what little plot Virtua Fighter has felt incomplete since while she was there, Kage was not - but in PXZ2 he's present, so it seems likely Dural will be back, and that there'll be some awkward mother/son interactions the actual Virtua Fighter games seem to lack

* in NxC the Soul Edge was pretty much a dimension-crossing device with a mind of its own that gets chased around for a considerable chunk of the plot - not only is it pretty much the Subtle Knife from the His Dark Materials books, it helps explain the unusual cameos the Soul Calibur games keep getting. With Natsu from SCV in PXZ2, I wonder if that'll be a plot point again.

* this is more of a pet suspicion than anything else, but Selvaria Bles was handled pretty sympathetically in PXZ1, although she never because a playable/assist unit like other antagonists in the game - I figure if anyone from Valkyria Chronicles gets announced that'll change; being the only fully playable Sega character other than Akira in the one fighting game filled with anime and light novel characters, this seems even more likely

* this is more of a hope, but Reiji and Xiaomu from NxC have been teased, while PXZ originals Mii and Kogoro remain absent from any revealed data, which is probably for the best - the design and concept of the PXZ OG crew was all over the place and Kogoro came off as creepy to boot, while Mii was given nominal importance by being the only one able to activate the game's new dimension-crossing mcguffin, which isn't really needed when NxC was already tied to the Endless Frontier games, which are all about an area that serves as a dimensional hub of sorts, and that's tied to SRW, which has Cross Gates doing pretty much that sort of thing.
The promotional material for PXZ2 heavily features chain-like structures all over the place, so maybe the Portalstone from PXZ1 won't be an issue anymore, and neither will Mii.

I prefer the Reiji/Xiaomu/Saya dynamic from NxC and the following games - I still think they use use way too many weapons, but I like the pseudo-symbolism, intentional or not, of how Reiji grew up with Xiaomu, and she's much older yet far more childish than he is (not unlike many of the referenced games in NxC are pretty old and childishly whimsical), while most of Saya's dialogue emphasizes how adult she is (often calling Reiji "boy" while she's at it), yet they're basically the same kind of creature (humanized magic fox creatures), while Xiaomu's Chinese and Saya is Japanese (and so is her mook entourage, which consists almost entirely of creatures from japanese myth like kamaitaichi and tengus) - it's like one character's dragging Reiji to a distant childish reality (games?) and the other's trying to ground him in his own as an adult. I'm probably overthinking this, but its a fun way to think of characters conceived to help bring together some people's game-related fantasies.

I'm looking forward to see what PXZ2 pulls off - other than hoped/expected stuff like the Ace Attorney crew reacting to the legally loose Yakuza guys, I wonder what kind of unexpected stuff they'll pull off, like how Riemsianne's ability to mind control through kisses was openly mentioned to to have been used on every Morolian from Space Channel 5 that appeared in PXZ1.

PXZ1 unlocked a hard mode once you completed it, but what it really needs is a visual novel mode so it'll be quicker to enjoy the craziness of its writing, really.

...!!

chazumaru
1485th Post

"Re(8):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Tue 19 May 19:01post reply

Thanks for the extensive recap. I feel like I have a super power or something... Either that, or the entire MadMan's Cafe has discovered cocaine last weekend. Does it feel like someone just gave you some very good news?

Considering their newfound inclination to appeal to Western fans, I hope they provide more announcements like Axel during E3.

Back on-topic, it seems a new Super Robot Wars game will be announced this week. I guess we'll see soon enough if Cyberbots is involved! Unfortunately, none of the silhouettes looks like Chibi Robo.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Loona
869th Post

"Re(9):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Thu 21 May 19:29post reply

I posted this in the wrong threadbefore, but here it goes:

SRW BX trailer

Always nice to see Nadesico in the series (I I think it's the first time a carrier makes it to the cover illustration, although it's a fitting case), and GaoGaiGar was pretty enjoyable in SRW W (the music really helps - it's amazing what they bothered to compose and interpret for a glorified toy commercial), so one day I might have to get round to watching it.

Also, apparently a fan translation for SRW Advance is doing pretty well so far.

...!!

neo0r0chiaku
34th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(10):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Thu 21 May 21:12:post reply

quote:

SRW BX trailer

Always nice to see Nadesico in the series (I I think it's the first time a carrier makes it to the cover illustration, although it's a fitting case), and GaoGaiGar was pretty enjoyable in SRW W (the music really helps - it's amazing what they bothered to compose and interpret for a glorified toy commercial), so one day I might have to get round to watching it.

Awesome, looks much better than UX. I played with mechs from Nadesico on MX and they were pretty cool. Still have not seen the whole series yet. :(
Good news about SRW AP fan translation! I was going to play the GBA version that was translated in English .

Long Live!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Thu 21 May 21:12]

Lord SNK
62th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(10):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Fri 22 May 03:52post reply

quote:

SRW BX trailer

If you have not seen yet GaoGaiGar, do it as soon as possible!!
It's one of the most beautifull super robot series out there.
It starts really slow, but enduring the first 10/15 episodes is compensated by the greatness and epicness of the rest of the series.

Obligatory cool factor per episodes graph of GaoGaiGar (a little bit spoilerish)

Seizya
3237th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Sat 31 Oct 07:00post reply

I'm surprised that there isn't such a thread. I know there are multiple members that play the games who haven't posted here yet. I think I watch people play more than playing the games myself.

Oh. Fun fact if you don't know: not only is Midorikawa Hikaru-san a fan of the games, he also does the lines for free, and he also is along the lines of a lead tester. Now, that's love.

Loona
1010th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Super Robot Wars/Taisen OG in English!" , posted Fri 19 Feb 00:32post reply

In an unlikely but encouraging turn of events, the upcoming SRW OG The Moon Dwellers is getting released in English for the PS4 in southeast Asia - I'll take my baby steps where I can get them...

...!!

Toxico
6000th Post

"Re(1):Super Robot Wars/Taisen OG in English!" , posted Fri 19 Feb 02:04post reply

quote:
In an unlikely but encouraging turn of events, the upcoming SRW OG The Moon Dwellers is getting released in English for the PS4 in southeast Asia - I'll take my baby steps where I can get them...

"Opening a new page" or something sounds horrible. This is the game that all expect to finish the petri-dish saga

I wonder if the international release will truly be international, I remember some games tagged as such being sort of hard to come by.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Lord SNK
115th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Super Robot Wars/Taisen OG in English!" , posted Fri 19 Feb 04:20post reply

quote:

I saw the trailer, it say only PS4, but the game should be also for PS3, strange.

neo0r0chiaku
121th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Super Robot Wars/Taisen OG in English!" , posted Fri 19 Feb 04:23post reply

quote:

Well this is good and would be better if its region free. If not, who is going to rent me their Asian PS4? ha ha ha!

Long Live!

Iggy
10141th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Worst news of the week" , posted Sat 20 Feb 05:52post reply

Let the tears flow

Westerners, you'd better buy the stupid game so we can get a 3rd one (the foundation is there and has much improved since NxC and PxZ1). Plus, the localization is really good.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Forget about Bayo meeting Dante for the first time. THIS COULD HAVE BEEN BAYO X MORRIGAN.

End of Spoiler

jUAN
4596th Post

PSN: Buttermonster
XBL: Prepaidpenguin
Wii: WiiU:Buttermonster

"Re(2):Re(10):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Sat 20 Feb 07:34:post reply

quote:

If you have not seen yet GaoGaiGar, do it as soon as possible!!
It's one of the most beautifull super robot series out there.
It starts really slow, but enduring the first 10/15 episodes is compensated by the greatness and epicness of the rest of the series.

[this message was edited by jUAN on Sat 20 Feb 07:36]

Loona
1033th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Thu 24 Mar 20:53post reply

The new Moon Dwellers trailer is out

...!!

neo0r0chiaku
149th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Thu 24 Mar 21:55post reply

quote:
The new Moon Dwellers trailer is out

Look very good and exciting. Really cant wait to play it, hopefully! Please release Eng-Ver Reg-Free! Gosh, so many games of my favorite franchises coming out this year! Now I have a real reason to buy a PS4 and start playing video games again! SRW will really take my time away for quite a while!

Long Live!

Lord SNK
123th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Fri 25 Mar 22:41post reply

I purchased SRW Z3 Jigoku Hen for PS3, I found inside the code for redeeming SRW HD on PSN, but I think it has expired

When I input it, I get this message:
"入力したコード番号が間違っているか、有効ではありません"

Why codes have an expiration date??

chazumaru
1658th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(6):Re(10):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Sat 9 Apr 14:38post reply

As I am sure you know since you were able to type out the message, it doesn't specify if the date is the reason, but the exact date expiration info should be written somewhere on the leaflet (or the virtual receipt if you got a digital version). It wouldn't be surprising though, if the game dates back from 2014 and the HD remake was an incentive for early purchases / "first prints" to encourage full price purchases from fans.

The best solution would be to follow Square-Enix: the 3DS version of Final Fantasy 1 (a port of the PSP version + stereoscopic effect) was available for free as an early incentive for buyers of Final Fantasy Explorers, then sold separately on eShop at a later date.

Win/Win for everyone. Let's avoid the obvious joke about people who played FF Explorers.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Lord SNK
125th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Sat 9 Apr 17:22post reply

quote:
As I am sure you know since you were able to type out the message, it doesn't specify if the date is the reason, but the exact date expiration info should be written somewhere on the leaflet (or the virtual receipt if you got a digital version). It wouldn't be surprising though, if the game dates back from 2014 and the HD remake was an incentive for early purchases / "first prints" to encourage full price purchases from fans.

The best solution would be to follow Square-Enix: the 3DS version of Final Fantasy 1 (a port of the PSP version + stereoscopic effect) was available for free as an early incentive for buyers of Final Fantasy Explorers, then sold separately on eShop at a later date.

Win/Win for everyone. Let's avoid the obvious joke about people who played FF Explorers.

The problem with this type of promotion is advertising this as valid for "first prints" copies of the game, not for "who buy it in the first 6 month at full price".
If in less than 2 year I can still find a new first print copy of the game at almost full price ($40, it hasn't lowered too much) I expect the code to still be working (as in the past I have seen PSN code with longer expiration dates, or codes that should have been expired but still worked).

That HD remake is also available for purchase for around $10, but having it for free from NamcoBandai would have been much better.

Toxico
6021th Post

STM: n/a
CFN: n/a

"Re(8):Re(10):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Wed 11 May 18:18post reply

...... ..... No wonder the aliens want to wipe out humanity and replace them with a race that doesn't need fanservice for everything.

Since for me mecha is porn, this can equate to some sort of big loss.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Neo0r0chiaku
181th Post

STM: dc202styles

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Wed 11 May 20:12post reply

quote:
...... ..... No wonder the aliens want to wipe out humanity and replace them with a race that doesn't need fanservice for everything.

Since for me mecha is porn, this can equate to some sort of big loss.

Maybe this is a love/dating advertisement for the aliens lol

Long Live I AM!

Toxico
6025th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Super Robot Wars/Taisen Thread" , posted Fri 20 May 13:41post reply

So, Yuuko Mizutani buys the farm; atrocious news for us who enjoy VAs that try to sound young but can't.

Apparently recording for the game was completed, with the last bits (that beach preorder) ending the past month.

PD : For the production of this post, I wanted to find that yuri confession scene where Wakamoto voices the 2 students; but couldn't find it anywhere. Woe is me.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Neo0r0chiaku
201th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re:SRW OG MD region free" , posted Fri 3 Jun 08:02:post reply

quote:

The problem with this type of promotion is advertising this as valid for "first prints" copies of the game, not for "who buy it in the first 6 month at full price".
If in less than 2 year I can still find a new first print copy of the game at almost full price ($40, it hasn't lowered too much) I expect the code to still be working (as in the past I have seen PSN code with longer expiration dates, or codes that should have been expired but still worked).

That HD remake is also available for purchase for around $10, but having it for free from NamcoBandai would have been much better.

Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers (English Language Asian Import)

quote:
The multi-language Asia import features an English version, and is not locked to region! Product is shipped from our UK warehouse to avoid customs charges to you!

Good news comes with a high price of $104.99
But it does include free shipping.

Long Live I AM!

[this message was edited by Neo0r0chiaku on Fri 3 Jun 08:37]

Lord SNK
148th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Re:SRW OG MD region free" , posted Fri 3 Jun 20:40:post reply

quote:

[URL=http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/store/super-ro

That's really very high that price, I think I saw it somewhere else for a lower price.

Will you buy it?
I surely will but don't think at day 1.
I still don't own a PS4 so while I wait to get a PS4, this game could also get some price cut.

[this message was edited by Lord SNK on Fri 3 Jun 20:57]

neo0r0chiaku
203th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Re:SRW OG MD region free" , posted Sat 4 Jun 05:41:post reply

quote:

That's really very high that price, I think I saw it somewhere else for a lower price.

Will you buy it?
I still don't own a PS4 so while I wait to get a PS4, this game could also get some price cut.

Play Asia has it for $59.99 HERE!

Since now we know its region-free, I would assume long time fans like me who do not play the Japanese versions much would snatch them up real fast. So I want to get a copy sooner in case the game will be hard to find or sellers will have them at a higher price. I do not have a PS4 either and do not plan on playing the game anytime soon with KOF XIV coming. Still trying to find someone who can lend me a PS4 until that price cut comes!

Long Live I AM!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Sat 4 Jun 05:42]

Lord SNK
149th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re:SRW OG MD region free" , posted Sat 4 Jun 20:56:post reply

quote:

Since now we know its region-free, I would assume long time fans like me who do not play the Japanese versions much would snatch them up real fast. So I want to get a copy sooner in case the game will be hard to find or sellers will have them at a higher price. I do not have a PS4 either and do not plan on playing the game anytime soon with KOF XIV coming. Still trying to find someone who can lend me a PS4 until that price cut comes!

Super Robot Taisen V announced for PS4/PSVita!!!
English subs confirmed for Asia release!

Edit: forgot link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18otfdWJlLI

[this message was edited by Lord SNK on Sat 4 Jun 20:57]

Neo0r0chiaku
203th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Re:SRW OG MD region free" , posted Sun 5 Jun 03:14post reply

quote:

Super Robot Taisen V announced for PS4/PSVita!!!
English subs confirmed for Asia release!

Edit: forgot link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18otfdWJlLI

Gosh! Looks like I will play video games part time now. I have not done that in years! Thanks for the information. Finally they thought about us fans here. All we can hope for is a good story.

Long Live I AM!

Lord SNK
149th Post

Regular Customer

"Re:SRW OG MD | SRW V english too!" , posted Sun 5 Jun 03:54post reply

I still have not depleted my backlog of SRTs for PS3!
Will I ever finish? Probably not

Another thing: when will we be free of Gundam Seed / Destiny?
Why they continue to shove it in every game!?

Ungenesis
448th Post

Wii: ungenesis
STM: ungenesis
CFN: ungenesis

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Re:SRW OG MD | SRW V english too!" , posted Sun 5 Jun 06:36post reply

Neat, always wanted to get into SRW but I don't care about the OG stuff and the language barrier's been in the way for everything else.

That said, wish they could have gone with one less Gundam and squeezed in the guys from Kuromukuro, really digging that so far.

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

Loona
1079th Post

"Re(3):Re:SRW OG MD region free" , posted Mon 6 Jun 17:10post reply

quote:

Will you buy it?
Play Asia has it for $59.99 HERE!

There's a new trailer for it too - and the standout news to me is that Haken from Endless Frontier is now in it! Pretty neat to see a guy from a spin-off making it to the main series.
It was even more mindblowing when I saw a SRW picture of him on Twitter after seeing the SRW V video, then had to leave home for a while, so for a few hours I though he was making it to one of the games with anime crossovers in it, which would have been even more insane. The floodgates may not be that open, but it's an interesting precedent in the huge and insane SRW history.
Still, his attack on the trailer does resemble at least one of the juggle moves he has in Endless Frontier and Project X Zone, which fits the tendency of SRW pilots of have moves that resemble their mech's when they fight on foot (so Selena in a SRW Alpha 3 scene where she uses a whip like her mech, Axel Almer in Endless Frontier EXCEED and Sanger in Project X Zone).
Apparently Moon Dwellers also has a section descriving events from past games to help people catch up, which should be nice.

Also, I just found someone's been translating the OG2 script.

...!!

chazumaru
1718th Post

"Re(1):Re:SRW OG MD | SRW V english too!" , posted Tue 7 Jun 02:16post reply

>>Another thing: when will we be free of Gundam Seed / Destiny? Why they continue to shove it in every game!?

Because it is the series that has introduced the Gundam IP (and possibly super robots) to a sizeable share of their current audience.

NicoNico's poll regarding the last streaming event shows that the vast majority of SRW's audience is in the 25-35 age group, which is actually a bit younger than I expected, but also means it does not attract new fans. The eldest of those fans most likely got into the genre during the Evangelion / Gundam Wing boom (which coincides with the peak of SRW in popularity via the SS and PS entries) while the younger fans of that age range most likely got into it via Gundam Seed.

You'll also notice they don't even bother with 70s robots anymore (no original Mazinger, Getter Robot, Grendizer, Zeeg... Toei Animation isn't even on the copyright list) which is bothering my SRW fan friends because 1. they are old farts and 2. this was supposed to be the game of the 25th anniversary but it looks like the original crew won't be there. Nowadays Evangelion is that "old original robot from 20 years ago" that Mazinger was in 1997 (when Evangelion joined the cast).

>>That said, wish they could have gone with one less Gundam and squeezed in the guys from Kuromukuro, really digging that so far.

Isn't that an ongoing anime which started in 2016? Longterm OAV special cases like Gundam Unicorn non withstanding, I don't think SRW has ever introduced an ongoing series. That would have meant they started working on the robot before the series was even aired.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Iggy
10273th Post

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(2):Re:SRW OG MD | SRW V english too!" , posted Tue 7 Jun 02:31post reply

On a similar topic: it seems some people under 20 think Niconico is an old people thing and prefer to use more modern platforms such as Youtube.

Lord SNK
152th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re:SRW OG MD | SRW V english too!" , posted Tue 7 Jun 03:21:post reply

quote:
>>Another thing: when will we be free of Gundam Seed / Destiny? Why they continue to shove it in every game!?

Because it is the series that has introduced the Gundam IP (and possibly super robots) to a sizeable share of their current audience.

NicoNico's poll regarding the last streaming event shows that the vast majority of SRW's audience is in the 25-35 age group, which is actually a bit younger than I expected, but also means it does not attract new fans. The eldest of those fans most likely got into the genre during the Evangelion / Gundam Wing boom (which coincides with the peak of SRW in popularity via the SS and PS entries) while the younger fans of that age range most likely got into it via Gundam Seed.

You'll also notice they don't even bother with 70s robots anymore (no original Mazinger, Getter Robot, Grendizer, Zeeg... Toei Animation isn't even on the copyright list) which is bothering my SRW fan friends because 1. they are old farts and 2. this was supposed to be the game of the 25th anniversary but it looks like the original crew won't be there. Nowadays Evangelion is that "old original robot from 20 years ago" that Mazinger was in 1997 (when Evangelion joined the cast).

I feel like an old fart
I miss the classic robots from earlier SRW, like Raideen, Combattler V, Ideon, etc.

Yeah, more than an anniversary title, this V feels more like the usual filler title that they put on portables (like UX / BX).

[this message was edited by Lord SNK on Tue 7 Jun 06:01]

karasu
1609th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Re:SRW OG MD | SRW V english too!" , posted Tue 7 Jun 06:38post reply

quote:
Chaz's SRW data discussion

I completely understand the shift, but I'm also disappointed by it, naturally. It's funny though to hear that a SRW game is being translated into English, but i'm barely interested in the series that are represented, meaning I won't bother with buying it. That's... a little bit of a relief though, since for a while during the Z era I was seriously backed up on the games as I picked my way through them with my deplorable grasp of Japanese.

It's interesting that such a shift occurred in a way, since 'classic' series held on for quite a while after I would have thought they would. But then I also suspected that a larger percentage of the players were even older. Is that a relatively recent shift?

Spoon
3393th Post

"Re(3):Re:SRW OG MD | SRW V english too!" , posted Tue 7 Jun 07:04post reply

quote:
On a similar topic: it seems some people under 20 think Niconico is an old people thing and prefer to use more modern platforms such as Youtube.

Interesting!

Did Youtube have less of a presence in Japan in the past? Or is it because Nico's interface, which serviceable and understandable back when it was a scrappy little new thing, hasn't seemed very updated the last few times I looked at it... and that definitely makes it feel clunky and old.

Youtube's literally more than a decade old, but it's more important of a media platform than ever, even with upstarts that provide novel and significant new things like Twitch.

Neo0r0chiaku
204th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Re:SRW OG MD region free" , posted Tue 7 Jun 10:07post reply

quote:

There's a new trailer for it too - and the standout news to me is that Haken from Endless Frontier is now in it! Pretty neat to see a guy from a spin-off making it to the main series.
It was even more mindblowing when I saw a SRW picture of him on Twitter after seeing the SRW V video, then had to leave home for a while, so for a few hours I though he was making it to one of the games with anime crossovers in it, which would have been even more insane. The floodgates may not be that open, but it's an interesting precedent in the huge and insane SRW history.
Still, his attack on the trailer does resemble

On minute 8:30 does it state that it will have the story context of the previous OG games?
quote:

Chaz's SRW data discussion

I am not a full fan of Seed and it's a bit annoying to see them all the time. I was, however, kind of tired seeing the real classics that everyone mentioned. I thought they were never going away so I just got used to it. The reasons for the move are understandable but they could easily put other IPs in there if that's the case.

Long Live I AM!

chazumaru
1720th Post

"Re(3):Re:SRW OG MD | SRW V english too!" , posted Tue 7 Jun 11:48post reply

quote:
It's interesting that such a shift occurred in a way, since 'classic' series held on for quite a while after I would have thought they would. But then I also suspected that a larger percentage of the players were even older. Is that a relatively recent shift?

No idea sorry, it's the first time I see such data for SRW. It came from NicoNico so it might also be that older players don't watch NicoNico so much. However, those robot choices fit the demographics highlighted by the event.

To compare with another fanbase at BanNam, it would also mean the SRW crowd is younger than Tales fans, who are 45+ years old on average, as far as I heard from a friend in the licensing/toy business. Japanese Otaku as a whole are getting older so I wonder how things will go long term for the Akihabara-based entertainment industry.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Toxico
6039th Post

"Re(4):Re:SRW OG MD | SRW V english too!" , posted Tue 7 Jun 13:37post reply

quote:

Isn't that an ongoing anime which started in 2016? Longterm OAV special cases like Gundam Unicorn non withstanding, I don't think SRW has ever introduced an ongoing series. That would have meant they started working on the robot before the series was even aired.

I think Gundam Wing was included in F final and their plot was far from over at that time, and the last fight for it was something that happens in the middle when one of those posers goes mad due to that chicken wing computer.

As for demographics, indeed; even Yamato is being promoted by their newer version and not to the oldies that managed to see it during it's first run such as myself.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Iggy
10274th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(4):Re:SRW OG MD | SRW V english too!" , posted Tue 7 Jun 19:15post reply

quote:
Did Youtube have less of a presence in Japan in the past? Or is it because Nico's interface, which serviceable and understandable back when it was a scrappy little new thing, hasn't seemed very updated the last few times I looked at it...
I think Niconico managed to steal the geeky Japanese's attention from Youtube thanks to being Japanese and having the comment system that allowed it to branch into the 2ch culture.
Now, 2ch is dead (thanks to Niconico, but also Twitter), and the image quality in the free version of Niconico is pathetic compared to Youtube. Young people are even less likely than us to pay for something they can have free elsewhere, so I guess people already on Nico stay there, but not many new people come in.

Splatoon, Minecraft and Mario Maker may have created a streamer generation, however Nintendo's draconian policies killed a lot of that a couple months in, and the ones that remained emigrated on Youtube. Not sure if Japanese streamers work on Twitch, though?

chazumaru
1723th Post

"Super NicoNico Off Topic Wars" , posted Thu 9 Jun 11:36post reply

I think we should be careful about wishful thinking here. I am sure we all want this to be true because NND is horrible to navigate and use compared to Youtube, but this is still the comment of one random person on Twitter, nothing more. As he(she?) even admits, Chōkaigi has become a huge event in Japan, bigger than Tokyo Game Show for instance, and I can tell from experience that tons of teens visited this spring in a similar way to how they engage with Japan Expo in France or MCM Expo in England.

I also expect the average age group of both websites to be slightly different, with Youtube being really popular among young viewers (think 6-14 years old), watching stuff such as NyaNyaNya and Minecraft but not investing money directly into the service (= passive consumers of advertising), while NND looks more to me as a late teenager / young adult pastime in which you can express your voice and belong to internet memes (effectively replacing 2ch as Iggy mentioned). Those users are more keen to engage directly in commercial activities, such as paying for premium access and checking sponsored links. So the business model and objective of both websites are slightly different and it reflects in their original programming. NyaNyaNya Neko Mario Time might be on Youtube, but the national Splatoon tournament and concert are on NicoNico.

It might be a generational thing which will not repeat itself with this fresh new serving of teenagers but, coincidentally, I was recently asking around my Japanese friends (i.e. 25-35 Japanese men and women) if anyone was paying for NND Premium, and the overwhelming response was "well of course I did in high school and college, but I stopped now".

In any case, I do hope this kind of comment and/or verified trend puts fire under Dwango's ass and they start improving the quality of their service.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Professor
4880th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Super NicoNico Off Topic Wars" , posted Thu 9 Jun 11:47post reply

quote:
I also expect the average age group of both websites to be slightly different, with Youtube being really popular among young viewers (think 6-14 years old), watching stuff such as NyaNyaNya and Minecraft but not investing money directly into the service (= passive consumers of advertising), while NND looks more to me as a late teenager / young adult pastime in which you can express your voice and belong to internet memes (effectively replacing 2ch as Iggy mentioned). Those users are more keen to engage directly in commercial activities, such as paying for premium access and checking sponsored links. So the business model and objective of both websites are slightly different and it reflects in their original programming. NyaNyaNya Neko Mario Time might be on Youtube, but the national Splatoon tournament and concert are on NicoNico.

Chaz pretty much nails it. It'll be interesting to see how the demographics will look in 3-4 years when those young teens grow up, around the time of say, the Tokyo Olympics.

One of the things amongst the older users, they're getting a bit annoyed at how ass the upload interface on Nico is and some of them are starting to prefer Youtube for that reason. Those who stream on Nico still keep their premium account, but it's a different story for heavy uploaders that don't. It's a pretty silly reason for Dwango to lose premium subscribers, and certainly only the tip of the iceburg.

"Stripping away the mech frontier" , posted Thu 30 Jun 08:32post reply

I thought it would take longer for Moon Dwellers to be released, but maybe that's just the asia version in English - some videos are out, including this one bridging classic SRW mech attacks with how Endless Frontier has characters fighting on foot - and it's as Endless Frontier as can be at it.

...!!

"Re(1):Stripping away the mech frontier" , posted Thu 30 Jun 08:40post reply

quote:
I thought it would take longer for Moon Dwellers to be released, but maybe that's just the asia version in English

Correct, the Asian version releases in early August, I think? That's the one that's english subbed. The japanese version released today and somehow some people already cleared the game yesterday, heh.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Neo0r0chiaku

218th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Stripping away the mech frontier" , posted Thu 30 Jun 09:49:post reply

quote:
I thought it would take longer for Moon Dwellers to be released, but maybe that's just the asia version in English

Correct, the Asian version releases in early August, I think? That's the one that's english subbed. The japanese version released today and somehow some people already cleared the game yesterday, heh.

That right, my pre-order says late August. Am I correct that only the Japan version with get the collector's edition?

Long Live I AM!

[this message was edited by Neo0r0chiaku on Thu 30 Jun 10:05]

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Super Robot Kriege" , posted Fri 5 Aug 21:02post reply

Although I have limited familiarity with the OG games, I'm roughly aware they're fond of using German terminology for mechs and character names.

As the English version of Moon Dwellers was released today, it's clear passing familiarity with the basics of the language, like numbers wasn't a concern in the choice of translators.

I'm still waiting for my copy though - I just hope stuff like this won't get in the way of understanding other things and comparing whatever's in the game with stuff on can find online...

...!!
neo0r0chiaku

233th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Super Robot Kriege" , posted Sat 6 Aug 00:25:post reply

quote:
Although I have limited familiarity with the OG games, I'm roughly aware they're fond of using German terminology for mechs and character names.

As the English version of Moon Dwellers was released today, it's clear passing familiarity with the basics of the language, like numbers wasn't a concern in the choice of translators.

I'm still waiting for my copy though - I just hope stuff like this won't get in the way of understanding other things and comparing whatever's in the game with stuff on can find online...

Thanks for the update Loona. I immediately went to check my email on the status of my copy and it was shipped. SRW V Asia version is up for pre-order now.
For the german names, little from what I remember on the english version of the GBA OG games, some german names were being used. But that was over 10 years ago.

Long Live I AM!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Sat 6 Aug 00:26]

Lord SNK

170th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Super Robot Kriege" , posted Sat 6 Aug 01:43post reply

quote:

They used German for mecha names since at least SRW4 (the "Gespenst").
When they started the OG series for GBA they went full berserk with german names (Alteisen / Alteisen Riese, Weissritter, Wildraubtier, Wildwurger, and a bunch of other I don't remember now).

I'm sure the english SRG OG 1 and 2 translations didn't have this sort of errors, and they were released almost 10 years ago with (I suppose) a lower budget.
After all these years, if they can't spend enough money for a decent translation why bother making it in engrish?

Or, as this is an Asia-only version, is this a tribute to the subtitle style of mecha anime produced there?
(I don't know if anyone here has familiarity with the Hong Kong english subs).

"Re(2):Super Robot Kriege" , posted Thu 25 Aug 01:25post reply

Anyone else been playing Moon Dwellers?

It's my first OG game in the series, after past experiences like W, but it's been flowing nicely, perhaps because I'm getting my feet wet on Beginner mode, and so far about 10 levels in with all SR points (Calvina's Hit & Away with Tenia's Quicken really help to cover a lot of the stage).

The translation has its off moments, but it's been fun recognizing indirect references to things like a couple of characters being in Endless Frontier EXCEED for a while, or just deciding to deploy a character I roughly recognize a looks interesting, and discovering her mech uses a judo throw, including a little foot trip as a nice touch (it's not something new in mecha since Getter, nor in the SRW OG series, but still nice).

The game does throw a lot of characters and units at you on short notice, and when it's time to deploy, making a selection can be tricky unless you already have some favorites or have a very clear notion of how to best tackle the mission and what are the best tools for the job. I tend to go for characters who've been around the Namco multiverse quite a bit like Fighter Roar and Guiliam Jaeger, and most recently I've settled on filling the deploy list with the ones mentioned in the game's trophy list - if they end up not being worth it, getting their trophies during a Beginner playthrough shouldn't sacrifice my progress much.

Just reading through lore linked to from dialog text can take quite a while if you follow every unfamiliar, but after a while once just starts to accept the clusterfuck of multiple crossover originals that had to be special snowflakes too in the middle of established characters gathering in a long-running series of their own. something still feel pretty odd about the use of color in this series, but I lack the art education and color theory to quite put my finger on it.

One oddity is that the tutorial emphasizes the twin unit system quite a bit, but 10 levels in the CPU never uses it, dropping some motivation for a player to do so as well since part of the appeal is that a sub-unit can attack an enemy's sub-unit - if there are none of these, the other motivation and twin-only spirit commands - most are fairly unique, but still only a few of them feel really worth making a twin unit by themselves.

It's almost impossible not to recognize some of the inspirations for several terms, characters and plot points, and I often also find myself speculating on how non-OGed characters from other SRW games might fit when they join the cast (the R cast/tech is totally inflicting the time skips from W, I can almost feel it).

It's almost tempting to skip attack animations, but rather often I find they customize a lot of lines based on opponent, level and mech/pilot combination.

If I have to play something while waiting for KoF XIV to dignify Europe with its widespread presence, this is one fine game to do so with so far.

...!!
yagami1211

0th Post

PSN: Yagami1211
STM: Yagami1211
New Customer

"Re(3):Super Robot Kriege" , posted Thu 1 Sep 21:46post reply

I do, I finished the game not too long ago.
English asia version.

It was kinda hard in the beginning, but got easier as I got money to upgrade mechas.

My strongest character was Haken Browning, with a whooping 240 kills.

I'm on my second run to do the routes I didn't do the first time around.

The Sword that Smites Evil !

"Re(4):Super Robot Kriege" , posted Fri 2 Sep 01:29post reply

quote:

It was kinda hard in the beginning, but got easier as I got money to upgrade mechas.

It's been the other way around for me, in part because I've been aiming for the SR points for each stage, and after deploying "team multiverse" (apparently Viletta qualifies?...) and the trophy-related characters, there are still under-leveled characters to try and and prepare for any eventual forced deployments.

I probably should have started using the win system earlier, only at stage 12 or so do the CPU units start making use of that, so it helps to make sure I have enough people that can hit sub-units - on the other hand, for single-unit targets I always worry about wasting by sub-units ammo or EN if the primary unit gets the kill...

I'm not sure if spending the earned PP points on stats instead of skills (unless they're Counter and Potential) is the wisest decision though.

quote:

My strongest character was Haken Browning, with a whooping 240 kills.

Can't wait until I get him - any idea of the level he joins at?

...!!
yagami1211

1th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Super Robot Kriege" , posted Fri 2 Sep 16:21post reply

Haken Browning & Sanger Zonvolt joins at Chapter 17.
( Back from Project X Zone )
Mr.Trombe joins too.

Haken's kinda OP when you upgrade him to the fullest.
His Mecha Upgrade Bonus is "Melee Weapon Damage = Base Damage + Aschen's Level X 5"

And his Ace Bonus is "+5% damage per females in the team". Give him the Hyperion, GG.

yagami1211

2th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):Super Robot Kriege" , posted Mon 5 Sep 16:46post reply

Concerning your earlier post, unless you're in EX-Hard or already filled your character with the skills you wanted, using PPs on characteristics isn't really useful.
Useful skills : Potential, Will Limit Break.

"Re(7):Super Robot Kriege" , posted Mon 5 Sep 20:02post reply

quote:
Concerning your earlier post, unless you're in EX-Hard or already filled your character with the skills you wanted, using PPs on characteristics isn't really useful.

I've been mostly giving everyone Counter and Potential, and the rest of the points tend to go to Skill (which helps with counters and criticals, so it seems generally pretty useful), and Hit for characters with low accuracy, since hopefully that'll save me from having to always cast Focus or Strike on them.

It's not always clear when it's worth having a character change or modify mechs, especially when new ones are added without a new pilot already assigned to them (I guess the new red Gungrust I got along with Kaken might be good for Katine, since her ace bonus involves red units?... I haven't deployed her enough for the to be a factor yet though...) - getting movement ranges and types to change to better twin some units might be a thing...

...!!
yagami1211

3th Post

New Customer

"Re(8):Super Robot Kriege" , posted Tue 6 Sep 06:12post reply

quote:

I've been mostly giving everyone Counter and Potential, and the rest of the points tend to go to Skill (which helps with counters and criticals, so it seems generally pretty useful), and Hit for characters with low accuracy, since hopefully that'll save me from having to always cast Focus or Strike on them.

It's not always clear when it's worth having a character change or modify mechs, especially when new ones are added without a new pilot already assigned to them (I guess the new red Gungrust I got along with Kaken might be good for Katine, since her ace bonus involves red units?... I haven't deployed her enough for the to be a factor yet though...) - getting movement ranges and types to change to better twin some units might be a thing...

According to the damage calculation formula, having the extra 20 Will with Will Limit Break adds 20 points to Ranged, Melee, and Defense stats,

Neo0r0chiaku

242th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Super Robot Kriege" , posted Thu 8 Sep 07:55:post reply

quote:

According to the damage calculation formula, having the extra 20 Will with Will Limit Break adds 20 points to Ranged, Melee, and Defense stats,

Great information. I have the game but had not been able to play it yet. Most of these features will be new for me since the last SRW I played was MX. How long will the game take to beat? Worthy enough to order SRW V?

Long Live I AM!

[this message was edited by Neo0r0chiaku on Thu 8 Sep 08:01]

Lord SNK

177th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Super Robot Kriege" , posted Fri 9 Sep 03:08post reply

quote:

Great information. I have the game but had not been able to play it yet. Most of these features will be new for me since the last SRW I played was MX. How long will the game take to beat? Worthy enough to order SRW V?

MX on PS2 or PSP?
You should absolutely get a copy of SRW Z for PS2, for me it was one of the best.

neo0r0chiaku

242th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Super Robot Kriege" , posted Fri 9 Sep 23:29post reply

quote:

MX on PS2 or PSP?
You should absolutely get a copy of SRW Z for PS2, for me it was one of the best.

It was for the PSP while using papers worth of a walkthrough translation guide. So I got a bit lazy on trying to play another SRW game. I did notice SWR Z and it seemed like it was one of the best SRW series.

Long Live I AM!
yagami1211

4th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Super Robot Kriege" , posted Sat 10 Sep 04:45post reply

quote:

MX on PS2 or PSP?

It was for the PSP while using papers worth of a walkthrough translation guide. So I got a bit lazy on trying to play another SRW game. I did notice SWR Z and it seemed like it was one of the best SRW series.

Don't forgot to abuse the Maximum Break feature.
Especially in the last 10 chapters.
And, if you have characters with Non-Upgraded Units, give them "Attack Again" and boost their skill Stat.
It will make then attack after an enemy counter attack.