badoor
417th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341

Gold Customer

"MMcafe Trip Thread: South Korea edition" , posted Tue 31 Mar 20:26post reply

Since the cafe can sometimes double as a great trip advisory site for people with similar interests, I was hoping to get the thoughts of cafe residents on cool places to visit in South Korea, mainly Seoul and Daejeon, which I will be visiting next week.

I've never been to South Korea, but I have a few friends and family members who did go and I heard some great things about the country (and about Korean food). And I'm quite excited about the trip now.

And on a more relevant-to-games note, I'm hoping to go and meet the Cafeid guys, and hopefully catch a bit of their upcoming IGT 2015 tournament. If you have any other tips or cool places or eats or whatever, please let me know

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/

Replies:

Professor
4259th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):MMcafe Trip Thread: South Korea edition" , posted Thu 2 Apr 21:40:post reply

Have fun in South Korea! I don't know of good visiting locations although the food I hear is excellent. Kalbi is too popular that it doesn't even need to be mentioned, but I haven't ever tried Jajangmyeon, which is the Korean version of the Chinese Zhajiangmian noodle.

IGT is right this weekend and I hear there's top players attending from quite a number of regions, even for KOF. Enjoy it!

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 2 Apr 23:02]

karasu
1480th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):MMcafe Trip Thread: South Korea edition" , posted Fri 3 Apr 04:36post reply

quote:
Have fun in South Korea! I don't know of good visiting locations although the food I hear is excellent. Kalbi is too popular that it doesn't even need to be mentioned, but I haven't ever tried Jajangmyeon, which is the Korean version of the Chinese Zhajiangmian noodle.

IGT is right this weekend and I hear there's top players attending from quite a number of regions, even for KOF. Enjoy it!

I nearly had a chance to visit South Korea last year but it never worked out. As such I've never been, but I can make a few suggestions regarding food based on my years spent living in Baltimore, Maryland, which is surprisingly lush with Korean food. I grew up with a bunch of Korean friends, and tried a bunch of foods their moms made over the years.

First, eat any and all dishes involving tteok, or rice cakes. They're very distinct (most varieties at least) from Japanese mochi, and the sliced, steamed, and pan fried sorts are particularly delicious.

I'd recommend trying as much soup as you possibly can. If you're a fan of spicy food, there are some sorts (tojangguk is one that comes to mind) that can be found at exquisitely spicy levels.

There's also a particular sort of Korean food (I'm blanking on the name) that involves lots and lots of interestingly flavored small dishes. I wish I could recall the name, because it's a great way to try lots of dishes in one go.

One last thing I'll note is that one of my very favorite condiments hands down is gochujang, a spicy bean/sesame paste with varying levels of heat and funkiness. It's amazing stuff, and a lot of dishes include it, so I'm sure you'll have a chance to try quite a bit of it. An old college friend of mine used to make grilled tteok coated with gochujang, but I have no idea if that's an actual dish you can find in Korea or if it was just some of his broke-ass college student cheap food.

Anyway, have a great trip, and hope my scattered thoughts are of at least some use!

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

Maou
2763th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):MMcafe Trip Thread: South Korea edition" , posted Fri 3 Apr 05:11post reply

quote:
There's also a particular sort of Korean food (I'm blanking on the name) that involves lots and lots of interestingly flavored small dishes. I wish I could recall the name, because it's a great way to try lots of dishes in one go.
Yes! I am an idiot and cannot recall the name, but any Korean restaurant worth its salt abroad (and presumably all restaurants in Korea) will bring out an array of small plates for free while you wait for the main thing. Delicious.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Nate
987th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):MMcafe Trip Thread: South Korea edition" , posted Sat 4 Apr 00:12post reply

quote:
There's also a particular sort of Korean food (I'm blanking on the name) that involves lots and lots of interestingly flavored small dishes. I wish I could recall the name, because it's a great way to try lots of dishes in one go. Yes! I am an idiot and cannot recall the name, but any Korean restaurant worth its salt abroad (and presumably all restaurants in Korea) will bring out an array of small plates for free while you wait for the main thing. Delicious.

Banchan!

(Yes, I came out of lurking just to provide a Korean word, what?)

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!