The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (4637 Views )

Professor
4214th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Sat 17 Jan 06:44post reply

Now that the Jojo anime trilogy is coming to its conclusion, which OP theme is everyone's favorite?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4jo_3HrXdU

Part I / Sono Chi no Sadame
Part II / Bloody Stream
Part III 1st/ Stand Proud
Part III 2nd/ End of "The World"

Replies:

Iggy
9849th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Sat 17 Jan 07:10post reply

I voted part II, but maybe the outrageous colours flashing during the OP blinded my judgement.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
And while I'm here it seems Speedwagon is playable in EOW and he calls his goons for help during the fight while wearing Zeppeli's hat.

End of Spoiler

badoor
411th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341

Gold Customer

"Re(2):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Sat 17 Jan 08:53post reply

I think Sono Chi No Sadame is my fav "theme" but the second OP may be my favorite "audio+visual experience", probably because of the blinding colors as Iggy mentioned. And also because it inadvertently spoils the second arc.

Here's hoping they continue with Part 4.

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/

Gojira
3088th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: n/a

"Re(1):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Sat 17 Jan 16:36post reply

For me Sono Chi Wa Sadame, without a doubt. I think they should have just used it for every single arc.

I guess they made the theme songs to match the personalities of the main Jojo in the arc, so the first one was passionate and manly, Bloody Stream was more upbeat and jazzy, and both Stardust Crusaders themes were... uh... very like Jotaro. Yes... dull and deliberate.

kofoguz
1143th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Sat 17 Jan 17:29post reply

quote:
For me Sono Chi Wa Sadame, without a doubt. I think they should have just used it for every single arc.

I guess they made the theme songs to match the personalities of the main Jojo in the arc, so the first one was passionate and manly, Bloody Stream was more upbeat and jazzy, and both Stardust Crusaders themes were... uh... very like Jotaro. Yes... dull and deliberate.

Not just the jojo's though. Also the plot. First saga has the a young ambitious man who tries to take over the dynasty from the rightful heir. So basically a spy soap opera if you dont count all the super natural mumbo jumbo. Next one starts with supernatural events but mainly about hot bad boy of a hot anti hero of a hot guy's struggle with sexy alien-like life forms. Except for Esidisi. Third one is like a detective story. Who dunnit except we know who dunnit. And who's Dio?

I voted Part I too. Eventhough all of the theme songs had made fantastic job to represent each chapter first one had the passion. Instantly likable. PIII First Season's song took a bit of time for it to grow on me. Last song also aachieves create mystery and menace for new comers to the series (non-manga readers). So I liked it too.

Sasha
5th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Sat 17 Jan 18:22post reply

I will always remember part 3 forever for missing "Rainbow in the dark" as an ending.

Such a shame that the quality of the openings finally died with the last one. Shame.

Still! My favorite is part2!

Toxico
5941th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron
XBL: n/a

"Re(2):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Sun 18 Jan 05:23post reply

My favorite has to be Bloody Stream, since it's an op that strongly promotes men in tea-bags design

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

Spoon
2772th Post

"Re(3):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Sun 18 Jan 09:11post reply

quote:
My favorite has to be Bloody Stream, since it's an op that strongly promotes men in tea-bags design

I love the whirling animations in the Part 1 opening, but I have to go with Part 2 for so wonderfully portraying the fabulousness of Part 2. The huge colorful backgrounds and brightly colored character silhouettes reminds me of OP animations from the 80s/90s, but now done with a modern cleanness.

What I'm really saying is that I want the Part 1 opening to be a feature of Castlevania games going forward.

Lord SNK
37th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Sun 18 Jan 18:12post reply

I voted for Bloody Stream, I love part 2, and I love how they animated the opening.

Part 3 2nd opening is really underwhelming, it seems they were trying to save on the budget...

karasu
1467th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Mon 19 Jan 00:54post reply

quote:
I voted for Bloody Stream, I love part 2, and I love how they animated the opening.

Part 3 2nd opening is really underwhelming, it seems they were trying to save on the budget...

Agreed, hands down Bloody Stream is the best! I've always felt like part 2 gets ignored in the face of the more outrageous part 3, but it's still possibly my favorite arc.

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

Spoon
2774th Post

"Re(3):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Mon 19 Jan 04:35:post reply

quote:
but it's still possibly my favorite arc.

I like every Jojo arc, but there's no Jojo arc that I love quite like Jojo Part 2.

The Jojo Part 1 OP is really fantastic in every way. It's also certainly a lot more dramatic and serious than the Jojo Part 2 OP. But I just can't escape the jazzy, colorful fabulousness and my own part 2 bias.

EDIT:
Once both are arranged for 8-bit and played with the 1.25x speed option, I am left with an intense longing for the greatest 8-bit Vampire Hunting game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Lm5YndBXs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO6uhyhMjfU

EDIT 2nd IMPACT:
I'm firmly converted to the Part 1 OP song now.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Tue 20 Jan 12:40]

Loona
814th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Tue 20 Jan 18:01post reply

Part 2 is my favorite - it's basically a Jedi Indiana Jones taking on outrageous naked alien(?) beings that eat vampires, and it's packed with fun moments even if it runs on bullshit sometimes.

Its song is pretty cool and the visual style on the OP is certainly unique, but ultimately I still prefer Stand Proud though.

...!!

Professor
4220th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Thu 29 Jan 18:28post reply

PS4 demo is out for Eyes Of Heaven!
http://jojogame.bngames.net/trial/about01.html

Iggy
9856th Post

"Re(3):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Thu 29 Jan 20:23post reply

quote:
PS4 demo is out for Eyes Of Heaven!
http://jojogame.bngames.net/trial/about01.html

I appreciate that they release a trial version so far in advance (because it mean they can change stuff on feedback) but... I really hope they do change stuff after receiving all the feedback.

Interestingly, I think the Pokken system (far away zoning, and when the characters go close, traditional fighter that could be like ASB) would work perfectly here. But it's probably far too late (and too demanding for this developer) to implement.
I am... not very convinced.
And I also wonder about the patch for ASB. If it's just the patch the west received last year, why bother? If it's more than that, why bother?

On the other hand, the Oingo&Boingo episode in the anime was great! The timing was good, fast enough to remain funny, and looked as it should. I was a bit worried that the Egypt part would end up a bit too spread out, but at least the N'doul and O&B episodes were quite good.
Let's see if they can keep up the pace until the end...

Toxico
5942th Post

"Re(4):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Tue 17 Feb 06:36post reply

So, japanse ASB 1.05 it's out, and it looks like it's pretty much the US version. Some balance changes that no one can make out, 2 mins battery for campaing, arcade mode; and I haven't chcked which stages have less lag like in the amrican vrsion.

And a pointed out previously, the oingo boingo ending should be the definitive ending for the series, I'm already hoping for a Horse version.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Iggy
9863th Post

"Re(5):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Tue 17 Feb 08:55post reply

I... have forgotten this was a thing.
EOH's discussions are especially worrying, especially when you think these people are not merely trolls and fanboys, but also people who have had the demo to chew on for quite a while. If the release date of the game is not pushed back to 2016, it's basically dead on arrival.
You should really only release a demo when you think you've actually made a good game... At least now the unreasonable CC2 hate has been diverted away from ASB, and some people even manage to say without being bullied that if it hadn't been for all the dumb trolls, we could have had ASB2 instead and it would have been so much better.
Oh, well.

Toxico
5943th Post

"Re(6):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Sun 8 Mar 10:52post reply

Banjou Ginga!? Guudo!.

Though, whenever I close my eyes, I think of Utsumi's performance, it can't be helped.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Professor
4238th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Sun 8 Mar 20:57:post reply

quote:
I... have forgotten this was a thing.
EOH's discussions are especially worrying, especially when you think these people are not merely trolls and fanboys, but also people who have had the demo to chew on for quite a while. If the release date of the game is not pushed back to 2016, it's basically dead on arrival.
You should really only release a demo when you think you've actually made a good game... At least now the unreasonable CC2 hate has been diverted away from ASB, and some people even manage to say without being bullied that if it hadn't been for all the dumb trolls, we could have had ASB2 instead and it would have been so much better.
Oh, well.

I haven't been following EOH much but how are its discussions? Iirc the demo's reviews seemed pretty good (at least those early on), although that sort of had me worried of chances that it'd fall flat again when the game hit the shelves like ASB.

With ASB, "bring Jojo to life as a head-to-head game" was an awesome idea at least by theory! But having a fan-based game with a no-content story mode was mind boggling.. It seems like CC took the criticisms really hard and just turned 180 degrees for EOH. It would've been interesting if they gave another try on ASB.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 8 Mar 21:05]

Toxico
5944th Post

"Re(7):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Sat 14 Mar 16:29post reply

- Have you ever got yourself caught redhanded when your family came over to visit doing some rerorero in the privacy of your home?
- Have you ever tried doing the coin surface tension game with your friends, just to have every coin fail before everyone gets too thristy and start zipping the alcohol?
- Have you ever used "do you remember what you where doing in XXXX/XX/XX??" when trying to counter an argument?
- Have you ever imitated Utsumi when someone is playing a card game?
- Have you ever stated "I bet my soul" before throwing out a shoryuken in a fighting game?

....... I'm not sure what the point of this post is, but it's probably something I needed to take out from my chest?

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Spoon
2820th Post

"Re(8):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Sat 14 Mar 16:44post reply

quote:

- Have you ever stated "I bet my soul" before throwing out a shoryuken in a fighting game?

There was a time when I would say "DIE, KENSHIRO!" before doing something in a fighting game that would probably not work. When my friends asked me why I said that, I asked them, "How many times have people said those words without succeeding? And yet, they never stop trying."

Iggy
9877th Post

"Re(7):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Sat 14 Mar 22:11post reply

quote:
I haven't been following EOH much but how are its discussions? Iirc the demo's reviews seemed pretty good (at least those early on), although that sort of had me worried of chances that it'd fall flat again when the game hit the shelves like ASB.

I can only tell about the internet discussions I've read, but after the demo, the general impressions seem to be:
* low amount of moves
* system doesn't make sense (partner's death powerup, QTE to finish, etc)
* visuals (jauge, general effects...) are "trying too hard" and don't even try to get close to Araki's style and standard (on top of making the game more difficult to follow)
* the camera is terrible
* fan service levels are at an all-time low (random sentences get uttered without any reason or context by 4 people at the same, you see your character from behind so all the joy you should get from "I'm controlling that character I like" is gone since you cannot see your character or his poses)
* the game is just not fun

Long story short: not a good fan-service + not a good game.

The recent unveiling of the pillar men was met with just a vague shrug, and the fact the screenshots didn't show any new background is widely interpreted as "there will be as little backgrounds as in ASB, so you can forget about any pretense of a story mode".
The only people who might be interested by the game are yaoi fangirls who will be able to make all the coupling they want with the weird partner system. That is literally the only positive thing I have read on the game. I personally didn't even bother to download the demo after playing it 5 minutes at a friend's.

Professor
4243th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Mon 16 Mar 00:55post reply

quote:
* the camera is terrible
* fan service levels are at an all-time low (random sentences get uttered without any reason or context by 4 people at the same, you see your character from behind so all the joy you should get from "I'm controlling that character I like" is gone since you cannot see your character or his poses)
* the game is just not fun

Long story short: not a good fan-service + not a good game.

Oh wow, that sounds pretty bad-- thanks for the lowdown! Having to look at your character from the back all the time was something I knew about but I didn't know about all the other flaws, youch. I have a feeling that Bannam and CC2 had a roadmap for an ASB sequel to recoup dev costs, but they swung sideways after its failure and this is the hasty result. It would've been interesting to see an ASB2, really.

Ishmael
5111th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(9):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Mon 16 Mar 09:48post reply

This is barely related to the topic at hand, but thanks to Crunchyroll and my local library's decision to start stocking the manga I'm finally getting caught up on JoJo. Later on I might have more nuanced impressions but all I can say right now is... wow, I didn't know what I expected out of the story but it's pretty much Jack Kirby levels of crazy shit all the time.

Toxico
5946th Post

"Re(10):The WRYYYYYYY!!!!! Thread" , posted Sat 11 Apr 12:08post reply

I'll leave this here

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Professor
4269th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Araki's How-to-draw Book and self portrait" , posted Tue 21 Apr 20:35post reply

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4087207803/bk02-22/ref=nosim/

Amazing! Araki released a book on his manga methods and drew a self-portrait for its cover as well. I'll need to pick this up together with the MGS Snake voice actor book that tells everyone not to become a voice actor.. humm

chazumaru
1473th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Araki's How-to-draw Book and self portr" , posted Tue 21 Apr 20:52post reply

Is... Is that a self-portrait of Araki fondling his own fictional proxy?

Même Narumi est épatée !

Iggy
9894th Post

"Re(2):Araki's How-to-draw Book and self portr" , posted Tue 21 Apr 22:12post reply

quote:
Is... Is that a self-portrait of Araki fondling his own fictional proxy?

I don't know how familiar you are with Rohan (the character), but it's basically genius mangaka in the world of Jojo... and also one of the most despicable, annoying, self-centered, mean and generally unlikable character of the whole manga out of the main bad guys. And that's the way he's written, most of the other characters are at least annoyed by him, if not entirely grossed out.

Thinking about the thought process that lead to the insertion of this character in the narrative, and what Araki was thinking when he decided to make what could have been his Marie-Sue so unlikable, is actually part of the charm of the character and makes him quite popular in return. So having the character next to Araki is less some sort of weird self-on-self masturbation fantasy and more of an actual way to allude to one of the most fascinating oddities of the manga.
Now I think of it, with all the supernatural weirdness, Jojo is also a strangely personal series if you think of (what we know of) Araki's childhood and family.

Lord SNK
55th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Araki's How-to-draw Book and self portr" , posted Wed 22 Apr 03:12post reply

quote:

Now I think of it, with all the supernatural weirdness, Jojo is also a strangely personal series if you think of (what we know of) Araki's childhood and family.

I would like to know more about this

Iggy
9895th Post

"Re(4):Araki's How-to-draw Book and self portr" , posted Wed 22 Apr 05:30post reply

quote:

I don't remember the details exactly, I'd need to check in Jojo-A-Gogo to be sure.
But more or less: he has two older sisters who are identical twins. The pair had a very close relationship, and used to keep their little brother out of their secret games and the secret language they made up, and occasionally they played tricks on him with their perfectly identical looks. While they enjoyed the emotional fusion of their sisterhood, he grew up feeling like he missed his own twin brother, with whom he would share secrets, play tricks on others or create his own language. It's a very specific kind of loneliness (since he technically wasn't alone) and of imaginary friend (less a friend than a double).
Jonathan/Dio and Joseph/Ceazar are almost as much a closeted love/hate relationship as they are a troubled siblings relationship. Likewise, the whole concept of having your own double that no one but you can see, identical yet looking nothing like you, with whom you can communicate without words, who would allow you to be in two places at the same time and do incredible things is directly linked to the games his sisters were playing on him, and his jealousy of their union.

Plus, he's a Gemini with Mercury in Cancer and Moon in Scorpio, so the boy was going to grow fucked up regardless. At least he did it in a creative way.

kofoguz
1166th Post

"Re(4):Araki's How-to-draw Book and self portr" , posted Wed 22 Apr 06:44post reply

quote:

I had this theory that I told Iggy before; Male Annasui and his love to Jolyne is represents his love to that Supermodel wife. Well I don't want to be one who says "everyone is gay" especially these days which feels like minefield to be called out something Im not but I think Araki might be closeted gay or a gay guy who fights his "urges" with the help of a girl he likes. Annasui also loves her because of this reason; he thinks Jolyne motivates him to be a good, sinless person, even though Jolyne doesn't love her back. That was the same thought when I was a member of a organized religion, to marry a girl to be a good person.

Ishmael
5139th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(5):Araki's How-to-draw Book and self portr" , posted Wed 22 Apr 09:14post reply

Interesting, this explains a lot about Araki.

quote:
Plus, he's a Gemini with Mercury in Cancer and Moon in Scorpio, so the boy was going to grow fucked up regardless. At least he did it in a creative way.

This explains a great deal more about Araki.

Lord SNK
56th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):Araki's How-to-draw Book and self portr" , posted Thu 23 Apr 03:12post reply

This is very interesting, thanks for sharing these info.

I don't know if is gay or not, but everytime I show some panel or character design from Jojo to people that don't know this series, they always asks "it's a comics for gay people?"
:(

Iggy
9897th Post

"Oh, right, EOH is still a thing..." , posted Fri 24 Apr 19:18post reply

One new character for the first time since Stroheim and Diego several months ago: Yukako!
Also, Kôichi, and Polnareff/Hol Horse whose voice actor has been changed to the ones from the TV series. And a new background.

As always, the modeling looks nice, but I REALLY hope they went back to the drawing board about the actual game... Especially since I think the producer alluded to the fact that not all characters from ASB would join EOH, which seems to defeat the purpose of a fan-game.
Release date is still 2015.

Toxico
5953th Post

"Re(1):Oh, right, EOH is still a thing..." , posted Sat 2 May 04:06post reply

So, I'm surprised that Terence kept his ASB VA, but that's probably 'congruency' as the staff has been keeping voice actors that have been voicing chars in the CMs (that would mean that important chars for future parts already have their voices set in rolling stones).

I love Suwabe as D'arby, but I have to say that his YES YES YES and NO NO NO are extremely weak (he hasn't given any out yet, though). Too bad Terence doesn't play pool

...... Speaking of, my true reason for posting? Someone made a wonderful explanation of how King Crimson works

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Iggy
9905th Post

"Re(2):Oh, right, EOH is still a thing..." , posted Sat 2 May 04:39post reply

quote:
...... Speaking of, my true reason for posting? Someone made a wonderful explanation of how King Crimson works

I'm going to print this and put it on my wall.

Olivier Hague
180th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Oh, right, EOH is still a thing..." , posted Mon 4 May 21:21post reply

quote:
Someone made a wonderful explanation of how King Crimson works

Still doesn't work, as far as I'm concerned: if the cat's paw prints (volume 56) and the blood drops (volume 61) are there, so should Doppio/Diavolo's bullet wounds (volume 59)!
Araki, you hack!

kofoguz
1172th Post

"Re(3):Oh, right, EOH is still a thing..." , posted Tue 5 May 08:37post reply

quote:
Someone made a wonderful explanation of how King Crimson works

Still doesn't work, as far as I'm concerned: if the cat's paw prints (volume 56) and the blood drops (volume 61) are there, so should Doppio/Diavolo's bullet wounds (volume 59)!
Araki, you hack!

I think it works if you consider King Crimson erase negative happenings only to Diavolo.For the others he doesn't erase but just jump through. Just a selective stand for his user.

Iggy
9909th Post

"Re(4):Oh, right, EOH is still a thing..." , posted Thu 14 May 22:20post reply

Playable N'doul, Background from the burning Joestar Manor... But in the wrong game.
Sigh, what could have been...
Also, is it just me or do the faces look less and less good?

Toxico
5954th Post

"Re(5):Oh, right, EOH is still a thing..." , posted Fri 15 May 10:22post reply

quote:

Sigh, what could have been...

Also, is it just me or do the faces look less and less good?

It looks like they are trying to mish~mash Araki's early style with the David Production looks, it's extremely noticable with Tada no Monkey & Iggy, which looked "just Araki" before...... the result doesn't seem any good.

EoH should have been an installable on ASB, heh, that way people would have thuoght of it as a bonus regardless of how much of an abomination it is.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Loona
883th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(6):Oh, right, EOH is still a thing..." , posted Thu 25 Jun 00:26post reply

With the recent end of the Stardust Crusaders anime, there was some discussion about that on NeoGAF which lead to this post which shows just how much thought and detail went into the OP animation - maybe there are no surprises here for those who knew it all from the manga, but I found it pretty neat.

...!!