Test your reflexes! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1927 Views )

Professor
4188th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"Test your reflexes!" , posted Mon 15 Dec 22:01post reply

I've been thinking about reaction times in fighting games, and thus decided to make an all-in-one web tool that lets the user test out their direct reflex and cognitive reflex. If anyone can try it out and see if there's any issues or glitches, that'll be cool!

http://mmcafe.com/reflex/

Easy mode-
The usual "click the mouse when the screen turns red" test. You can also hit a keyboard button instead.

Normal mode-
You need to hit a direction key on your keyboard depending on what appears on screen.

Hard mode-
This can be pretty hard. You need to click the mouse or hit the direction key, or BOTH depending on what the screen says.

Replies:

badoor
399th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Test your reflexes!" , posted Mon 15 Dec 22:45post reply

quote:
I've been thinking about reaction times in fighting games, and thus decided to make an all-in-one web tool that lets the user test out their direct reflex and cognitive reflex. If anyone can try it out and see if there's any issues or glitches, that'll be cool!

Easy mode-
The usual "click the mouse when the screen turns red" test. You can also hit a keyboard button instead.

Normal mode-
You need to hit a direction key on your keyboard depending on what appears on screen.

Hard mode-
This can be pretty hard. You need to click the mouse or hit the direction key, or BOTH depending on what the screen says.

This is oddly a lot of fun. Tested it out on my work Win 7 and it works great. I like the tweet feature. My scores were:

15.3 (easy)
25.2 (medium)
32.5 (hard)

Also the icon art is pretty nice too.

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/

Spoon
2738th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Test your reflexes!" , posted Tue 16 Dec 03:28post reply

quote:

Easy mode-

Normal mode-

Hard mode-
This is oddly a lot of fun. Tested it out on my work Win 7 and it works great. I like the tweet feature. My scores were:

15.3 (easy)
25.2 (medium)
32.5 (hard)

Also the icon art is pretty nice too.

I alternate between 17-25 on medium, but somehow keeping messing myself up on the last one and getting a negative penalty. I definitely perform worse as the delay before the prompt gets longer.

The java-script code of it is nice and simple! While I think it would be easy to get gamepad/joystick input if the user already had joy2key setup, I'd like to take a stab at trying it with gamepadjs sometime this week. Actually, probably tonight, since I'll (probably) get Xrd tomorrow.

chazumaru
1389th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Test your reflexes!" , posted Tue 16 Dec 03:43post reply

22.5 on medium... Ah... I feel old. Now I understand why I struggled so much with the KOF XIII challenges.
Nice game! This should almost be like a daily brain training. It reminds me of Mejikara Training, the most fruitful collaboration between Nintendo and Namco until Smash 4.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
2739th Post

"Re(4):Test your reflexes!" , posted Tue 16 Dec 09:15post reply

quote:
22.5 on medium... Ah... I feel old. Now I understand why I struggled so much with the KOF XIII challenges.

Most combo timings are things you just have to internalize through tons of repetition, so don't feel badly that you didn't have dozens of hours to get it down.

Maou
2716th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

"Re(5):Test your reflexes!" , posted Tue 16 Dec 13:30:post reply

Cool design, Prof! While my sad sad mid-twenties score on normal proves that I should not be allowed to play any fighting games besides SF The Movie the Game, that hasn't stopped me before! Time to connect it to the main page? I really like the SFZero2 cheese icon.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 16 Dec 13:30]

Professor
4190th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Test your reflexes, now supports controllers!" , posted Tue 16 Dec 17:52:post reply

I've tried adding in game controller support. If anyone can test to see if it works on their browsers, that'll be cool!
From what I understand Firefox, Chrome and Opera should support gamepads (IE apparently doesn't).

If you try it with a controller, please write back on what browsers/controllers you've tried them on and whether it worked!

I haven't had anyone try it on chrome yet

seems to work fine with a RAP3

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 16 Dec 21:44]

Maou
2716th Post

"Re(1):Test your reflexes, now supports contro" , posted Tue 16 Dec 22:15post reply

Third Strike says: Yeah! I've been waiting for this!

Running the newest Firefox in Windows 7, my simple Logitech Gamepad 310 was behaving more like the mouse, meaning that it would work for "click any button" on easy but not for directions or left/right click on normal and hard. Hmm!

Professor
4191th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Test your reflexes, now supports contro" , posted Tue 16 Dec 23:09:post reply

Maou: I tried tinkering a bit-- can you reload the page and see if it works? Changing your D-pad mode with its mode button might help.

If it still doesn't work, can you try moving around your stick at this page and see which of the Axis changes?
http://mmcafe.com/reflex/testinput.html

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 17 Dec 00:53]

chazumaru
1391th Post

"Re(3):Test your reflexes, now supports contro" , posted Wed 17 Dec 07:02post reply

Works fine for me with a SegaSaturn USB pad but strangely enough, Normal mode would only recognize my D-pad inputs after I completed Easy mode.

id: "USB Gamepad (Vendor: 04b4 Product: 010a) on your test page.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Professor
4192th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Test your reflexes, now supports contro" , posted Wed 17 Dec 07:39:post reply

quote:
Works fine for me with a SegaSaturn USB pad but strangely enough, Normal mode would only recognize my D-pad inputs after I completed Easy mode.

id: "USB Gamepad (Vendor: 04b4 Product: 010a) on your test page.

Ah cool thanks! That's not a problem for Normal mode since it accepts directions only-- did hard mode work Ok with your saturn pad?

Ah I need to also ask! What browser?

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 17 Dec 08:51]

Gojira
3083th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(5):Test your reflexes, now supports contro" , posted Wed 17 Dec 09:01post reply

For what it's worth, I'm running Firefox on Windows XP and my Saturn USB pad definitely does not work at all. But it's Windows XP, so yeah.

chazumaru
1393th Post

"Re(5):Test your reflexes, now supports contro" , posted Wed 17 Dec 09:27:post reply

quote:

Ah I need to also ask! What browser?

I'll be honest, before your question, I had forgotten you could go on Internet on something other than Chrome.

quote:
That's not a problem for Normal mode since it accepts directions only-

Yes, what I mean is those directions would not be recognized at all in Normal the first time I tried. Then I tried Easy mode, and that worked fine. Then I tried Normal mode again, and the directions suddenly worked. Sorry, I did not try Hard mode.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Wed 17 Dec 09:31]

Maou
2717th Post

"Re(6):Test your reflexes, now supports contro" , posted Wed 17 Dec 10:12post reply

Thanks, Prof! Easy and normal all work fine with either d-pad or stick now. Hard of course requires the mouse, but works with both as well.

Professor
4193th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Test your reflexes, now supports contro" , posted Wed 17 Dec 13:16:post reply

Chazumaru: Ahhh that's what you meant! Next time when you have the opportunity, can you check the page below and start off by hitting a direction on your controller (not a button first) and see if that responds? Sorry for the trouble. I'll need to do some more checking.

Gojira: Does anything happen when you try using your pad on the page below? If not, the Firefox version that you're using simply doesn't support game controllers.

Maou: That's good to know thanks! Also, Hard mode should be playable with just the pad too, using the directions and the button(s). I hope.. given that it worked with a Hori arcade stick.

Spoon: Thanks for bringing up the subject of adding stick support! I knew the API was solid around late summer but I was sort of debating the thought, given that it seemed like a tedious process.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 17 Dec 14:21]

Gojira
3084th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(7):Test your reflexes, now supports contro" , posted Wed 17 Dec 17:15post reply

quote:

Gojira: Does anything happen when you try using your pad on the page below? If not, the Firefox version that you're using simply doesn't support game controllers.

Nope nothing. Firefox updates itself so I don't think I'm out of date either; I just figured XP doesn't have that kind of functionality. Later this week when I have my work laptop again I'll see if it works in Win7 or OSX.

badoor
400th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341

Gold Customer

"Re(9):Test your reflexes, now supports contro" , posted Wed 17 Dec 21:29post reply

Tried it with my Buffalo Super Famicom style USB controller and it works great on Firefox, but does not work at all on chrome. Seems Firefox is better at this sort of thing.

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/

Professor
4195th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10):Test your reflexes, now supports contr" , posted Thu 18 Dec 00:19:post reply

Apparently one of the two major arcade sticks (Madcatz TE) really gives an awkward reading on its unused axis. Bottom line, I had to revert directional support back to how it originally was coded.

Maou: can you try it again and see if it works with d-pad or analog stick? Try hitting the mode button if it doesn't.

Badoor: can you try it again on your Buffalo SFamicom-like usb controller, see if it still works?
If it does, I wonder if it works now on chrome too...

PS- Don't forget to F5 reload to clear cache!

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 18 Dec 01:06]

Maou
2718th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Test your reflexes, now supports" , posted Thu 18 Dec 00:44post reply

A-okay in Firefox on hard with both analog and d-pad combos with actual buttons, Prof! Bravo!

Professor
4196th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Re(10):Test your reflexes, now supports" , posted Thu 18 Dec 13:07:post reply

Chazumaru:
Apparently, Chrome requires the user to press a button before doing anything in order to make the browser recognize the game controller. That solves the mystery--- thanks!.

Maou:
When you can spare a minute, can you go into this page and tell me which axis moves when you use your D-pad/analog stick as you've normally did when testing out the page? thanks!

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 18 Dec 14:03]

Maou
2720th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Test your reflexes, now supports" , posted Fri 19 Dec 06:53post reply

Prof: I usually get Axis 1 at -1 for any directional button, whether d-pad or analog pad, though both 1 and 0 did register one time--haven't reproduced it yet!

chazumaru
1395th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Test your reflexes, now supports" , posted Fri 19 Dec 07:49post reply

quote:
Chazumaru:
Apparently, Chrome requires the user to press a button before doing anything in order to make the browser recognize the game controller.

Ah! Good to know.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Professor
4197th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Re(10):Test your reflexes, now supports" , posted Fri 19 Dec 08:13post reply

quote:
Prof: I usually get Axis 1 at -1 for any directional button, whether d-pad or analog pad, though both 1 and 0 did register one time--haven't reproduced it yet!

wow that is weird. I think the reflex page was only responding when you were able to get 0s and 1s! Theoretically speaking that's the only way.

And I think the reflex tester is almost done thanks to everyone's inputs!

Spoon
2745th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Test your reflexes, now supports" , posted Fri 19 Dec 09:56post reply

quote:

Professor
4199th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Re(10):Test your reflexes, now supports" , posted Fri 19 Dec 10:17:post reply

quote:

Spoon-- Again, it was thanks to you that I was motivated to add the game controller support! It was a nicely queer experience to see how various controllers returned completely odd values from one another with the direction handlings.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 19 Dec 10:36]

Professor
4205th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):Re(10):Test your reflexes, now supports" , posted Tue 23 Dec 13:58:post reply

Quick note, the reflex tester has gone public and getting relatively good traffic.
Feel free to spread the url! - http://mmcafe.com/reflex/

I don't think its getting a load that's anywhere close to effecting the site's overall performance but if the site seems slow for the next day or so, it's due to the page. It'll quickly calm down as things always do on the Internet.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 23 Dec 14:24]