3714th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Tue 9 Dec 12:01post reply

quote:
While debating which console to get here (PS3 or PS4), would it be good to start up a GGXrd thread? I'm thinking we might have enough to talk about playing that by itself that it would be worth not having this thread clogged with it. If I have general things to say about playing GG, I'd also rather put it there, too.

Who is picking it up? Who has it already? I would love to face off with other mediocre players at some point.

A shame about the US LE getting delayed, but I'm not waiting an undisclosed amount of time for it.

Also, Hori's HRAP4 is evidently discontinued. It's sold out and delisted pretty much everywhere. I was going to triumphantly tell people where I got mine so they could do the same, but it seems I may have snagged the last one. This may be a huge missed opportunity for Hori, since Injustice is available on PS+ and two more fighters just got announced for PS4. If anyone finds one, I'd be interested to hear where.

Speaking of joysticks on next gen consoles, I don't know if I mentioned it before, but the CronusMax adapter works as advertised. The results were very good with my Qanba on XbOne, though you have to jump through hoops and utilize a computer to get it to work on PS4. For people with a laptop, that might be an option, though.

I am undressed from 80’s style and recreated with modern sexy and beautiful style that amaze you and feel never been experienced world before.

Replies:

Professor
4180th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Tue 9 Dec 12:38post reply

quote:
While debating which console to get here (PS3 or PS4), would it be good to start up a GGXrd thread? I'm thinking we might have enough to talk about playing that by itself that it would be worth not having this thread clogged with it. If I have general things to say about playing GG, I'd also rather put it there, too.

Who is picking it up? Who has it already? I would love to face off with other mediocre players at some point.

I've certainly picked it up and it's great! The online is about the same as the Blazblue series, although it feels more strict since it doesn't have as much buffer leniency. The graphics are just astonishing. The PS3 version is arcade quality, and evidently it's even a bigger treat to the eye with the PS4. I picked up the PS3 version for time being.

One gripe I have isn't about Guilty Gear, but Sony's PSN itself. The system seems to have cross-browser limitations in terms of its friends list, which makes things a bit inconvenient. From a PS3 user's side, PS4 users look like they're logged out at all times. Vice versa, I hear it's not a problem.

Playing across countries is of course laggy but doable for casual play. I'd be interesting to maybe have sessions at some point.

Maou
2705th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh

"Re(2):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Tue 9 Dec 16:29post reply

Downloading as we speak! I look forward to flailing around miserably amidst great scenery as an Arc novice. Please accept me into your dojo.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

gpa
74th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Tue 9 Dec 17:24post reply

Have to wait till next week... fighting back the urge to randomly attack things in fits of impatience will be tough, but I will persevere...

Spoon
2730th Post

"Re(4):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Tue 9 Dec 19:22post reply

Since it'll be awhile before I can actually get to playing this game, and since I know that the people here on mmcafe already love fighting games, here's a calibrated spiel for the novices:

-------------------

For people that are at the level where they can reliably do a special move on demand and can reliably cancel a normal move into a special move, the first small-thing-but-big-thing is how you think about cancellability.

Let's wind all the way to SF4 with the likes of Honda, or Sim, or Gief.

A substantial number of their normal moves CANNOT be freely cancelled into special moves. None of Sim's air normals can be cancelled into his air teleport. Outside of Gief's jabs, the majority of his cancellable ground normals are the close versions. Cancellability is a unique and distinguishing property of normal moves. A KOF mainstay are moves that gain cancellability when chained into (see: like everybody who has a close standing C into forward B chain). Some normals are cancellable into supers, but not specials (see: all kinds of long reaching normals in CvS2)!

In GG, it's the OPPOSITE case: it's unusual for a normal move to not be freely cancellable into special/super moves. This might sound rather technical, but it's not too difficult to imagine and put into practice: imagine if Ryu or Guile or Sim could cancel any poke into a fireball. That's literally what you will get in GG with Ky or Venom or Axl.

For this reason (and the one below), there are a lot of normal moves in ArcSys fighting games that have long recovery, or don't do a lot of blockstun relative to the length of their animation when they do connect. This isn't 3S where you poke away with Alex's standing MK and when it hits that's all that he gets from it. No, for most characters, if you make them block something that isn't a P or a K, you should be chaining it or cancelling it into something else to either maintain momentum and/or to cut recovery.

-------

The next thing in the line of the SF/KOF comparison is that in SF, few characters have chaining normals outside of jab/short, and what they do have is very restricted. Ryu in 3S on the ground can chain far standing fierce into roundhouse. Q in 3S has literally none outside of jab and short.

In GG, all of the characters have extensively chainable normals. If you think of P as being the "lightest" normal and D as being the "heaviest" normal, and "heaviness" increasing clockwise from P, as a rule of thumb everybody can chain from lighter to heavier normals. This applies to standing, crouching, and aerial normals. This isn't strictly limited in requiring you to start from P, either: any substring of "P-K-S-HS-D" will chain. Now, whether that chain forms a combo is a different story, though!

Where it gets funky is that many characters also have the ability to chain from CERTAIN heavier normals to CERTAIN lighter normals. For instance, in GGXXAC, Faust's crouching HS can chain to his crouching P, but his crouching S cannot chain to his crouching P. This is all very character specific and trying to diagram it looks like an awful spider web, so you're just going to have to internalize it. However, it's very much worth learning at least a few of these.

As mentioned above, the moves are tuned in a way where it mostly ISN'T about one-and-done normals. If E.Honda were in GG, he'd poke with every one of his far-reaching ground normals, and if any of them connected, he'd probably cancel it into either a headbutt to close the distance or handslaps to pressure the opponent.

In GG's case, Potemkin has a long tradition of cancelling long pokes into his charge move in order to get in on his opponents or pressure them.

---------------

Learning to block overheads in GG is really important and it sucks. I really don't have any other way to describe it. In GG, all of the standing D normals are overheads and launch for a combo... except that a lot of those moves DON'T LOOK LIKE OVERHEADS AT ALL. If you saw May's standing D in GGXX for the first time, you'd think that you could and should crouch under it.

The animations for them are kind of unique, but honestly what animation in GG isn't unique? It's just something you're going to have to deal with. As Nemo showed last time he played in a big GG tournament in the US, even the good US players still can't block Faust's 6HS. So on one hand yes, you are going to lose (many) rounds to these. You would also do well to abuse them and win rounds with them.

On the flip side, Millia's 6K in GGX series is on the threshold of what is humanly reasonable to react to when faced with a non-binary situation (i.e. more than just a YES/NO prompt). It is a significant piece of her offense. It's really hard to react correctly to, and good players get hit by it all the time. For things like that, sometimes it's worth it just to guess a high block.

Badoor
398th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Tue 9 Dec 21:19post reply

quote:
Have to wait till next week... fighting back the urge to randomly attack things in fits of impatience will be tough, but I will persevere...

Same here. I was tempted to get the JP download but I thought I'd wait for the US release and get it at retail, mainly because I know ASW will probably put a bunch of DLC for it. And generally, JP PSN cards are rather expensive to get for me.

But I'm hearing online play isn't good. Granted, nearly everyone playing it now have the Japanese version, which may be specifically attuned for that region. But I hope it's not as bad as I'm hearing (Like KOF XIII on console levels of bad). Or at least I hope they fix it soon.

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/

karasu
1459th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Wed 10 Dec 02:48post reply

quote:
Same here. I was tempted to get the JP download but I thought I'd wait for the US release and get it at retail, mainly because I know ASW will probably put a bunch of DLC for it. And generally, JP PSN cards are rather expensive to get for me.

But I'm hearing online play isn't good. Granted, nearly everyone playing it now have the Japanese version, which may be specifically attuned for that region. But I hope it's not as bad as I'm hearing (Like KOF XIII on console levels of bad). Or at least I hope they fix it soon.

I'll be buying it, and for PS4, but I have to wait till a few weeks from now-- I leave in a week for a trip to Japan and Taiwan and I won't be back till the New Year, so there's little point in getting it right now.

I see in some of the reviews that it supports matches between PS3 and PS4-- I'll be curious to hear how that works out since I'm sure most folks will be getting the PS3 version.

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

caiooa
17th Post

PSN: n/a

New Customer

"Re(5):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Wed 10 Dec 05:45post reply

quote:
Learning to block overheads in GG is really important and it sucks. I really don't have any other way to describe it. In GG, all of the standing D normals are overheads and launch for a combo... except that a lot of those moves DON'T LOOK LIKE OVERHEADS AT ALL. If you saw May's standing D in GGXX for the first time, you'd think that you could and should crouch under it.

The animations for them are kind of unique, but honestly what animation in GG isn't unique? It's just something you're going to have to deal with.

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

actually, a lot of them are similar to last blade speed groove overheads. Ky Dust is identical to kaede's. And yeah, all of last blade universal overhads comes from below.

The problem with some gg overheads is not new and go beyound this: they are too fast to block in raw reaction.

While reading ahead can make it easier in some games, in GG it's common to be impossible to block some high-low variation withouth a little of reading mixed together with reaction.

For example: Millia.
-6k hits in frame 20
-tk bad moon hits in frame 16
-it was taked out in xrd, but FRC j.K hits on frame 4

As some people from srk insisted that it's possible to block in raw reaction things from 15 to 7 frames, Teyah from dustloop created a little reaction tester just for the fun. It's old, but demonstrate the point very soundly.

http://www.teyah.net/milliablocker.html

(scroll down for instructions)

Spoon
2732th Post

"Re(6):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Wed 10 Dec 06:04:post reply

quote:

The problem with some gg overheads is not new and go beyound this: they are too fast to block in raw reaction.

Which I mentioned at the end! With the Millia 6K example!
Teyah's an old friend of mine and we used to play GG together all the time, except he's seriously good at it haha.

But either way, I think we both agree that it's just something you have to learn to deal with, one way or another. Some of them are big enough and slow enough, and some are intentionally really hard to see in spite of being technically slow, like Jam's 5D. And some are just really really fast and you have to make guesses. Testament's 6P is even faster than Millia's 6K in GGXXAC, but I don't know if anybody in Xrd has anything comparable to challenge Millia on that.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Wed 10 Dec 06:13]

Ishmael
5041th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(7):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Wed 10 Dec 09:39post reply

Thanks for all the information! In the past I played GG like it was some odd mix of Vampire Savior and Marvel. So while I enjoyed the game I wasn't exactly getting it. Now that I'm going to have a chance to play other people it's probably high time I learned what exactly I'm supposed to be doing.

Professor
4181th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Wed 10 Dec 10:34post reply

quote:

Quick note about this--- In Xrd, the characters have a red round glowing effect on them when they perform a D-button/Dust attack so it's easier to distinguish even if you're new to the game. That said, it can still be hard to block them on reaction, especially online.

quote:

The online is nowhere as bad as KOF-- that game feels like there's glue on your shoes when you jump, even if you're playing locally within Japan. Xrd feels very similar to Blazblue, except there's no leniency in the buffers-- doing links or reversals have to be spot on, and that can be a bit hard when you have even a little lag. Also given how hard that blocking some overheads can be on reaction even offline, those are reasons why people are complaining.

Maou
2707th Post

"Re(6):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Wed 10 Dec 13:39post reply

This is a wild new world. I never knew a 2D fighter could feel so...utterly unlike a Capcom game. As I start from scratch, I really appreciate that the tutorial mode is a series of skits with Sol kicking the shit out of Sin.

Hagen de Merak
1077th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(7):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Wed 10 Dec 13:45post reply

I unfortunately made the mistake of preordering the collector's edition because I'm an idiot and sucker for extra crap. Plus I've always loved the cheese metal soundtrack Guilty Gear games bring.

So I won't be able to play it until the 23rd, but I'm okay with waiting a little longer.

Maou
2708th Post

"Re(8):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Wed 10 Dec 14:34post reply

quote:
cheese metal soundtrack

Heck yeah.

Also counting on you to make sure JJJ plays with your copy like he said he would since he's even more behind the console times than I am.

I really like the Stain'd-sounding title screen music too. My ride on this midnight train is hilarious so far.

Zepy
1653th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(9):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Wed 10 Dec 17:02post reply

I got the game on the PS4 and I'm terrible at it! The last time I played this series was the original GGX so I have a lot to catch up on.

I still don't know if I want to get a PS4 joystick yet, I want to hold out for a HRAP4-SA in case hori ever releases one.

Also the sales for the game is waaaay below expectations for me, I hope it's doing better elsewhere.
UNIEL and dengeki bunko sold much better than this

Iggy
9828th Post

"Re(9):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Wed 10 Dec 21:11post reply

quote:
cheese metal soundtrack

I have the feeling the 3 hours I spent on the game were 3 hours of one continuous guitar riff, so at least this hasn't changed from the past.
I have the feeling the game is slightly more lenient than before. Or maybe my time on Mahvel 3 has taught me a bit on how to play aerial fighters and be a bit cleaner in my combo input.
Still, I'm terrible and I haven't memorized half of the game systems, let alone combos.
I am kinda relieved to see that Bedman is utterly out of my league in term of complexity of game plan. I don't need another Ochamaro in my life.

Spoon
2733th Post

"Re(9):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Thu 11 Dec 02:49post reply

quote:
JJJ

Wow!

Hagen de Merak
1078th Post

"Re(9):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Thu 11 Dec 03:04post reply

quote:
cheese metal soundtrack
Heck yeah.

Also counting on you to make sure JJJ plays with your copy like he said he would since he's even more behind the console times than I am.

I really like the Stain'd-sounding title screen music too. My ride on this midnight train is hilarious so far.

Yeah he's down. He said I-No will be waiting for you. Whatever that means lol.

Hagen de Merak
1079th Post

"Re(10):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Thu 11 Dec 05:37post reply

quote:
cheese metal soundtrack

I have the feeling the 3 hours I spent on the game were 3 hours of one continuous guitar riff, so at least this hasn't changed from the past.

3 hours of cheese metal heaven.

chazumaru
1379th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Thu 11 Dec 08:24post reply

I am a bit surprised by the first week sales. They are much lower than BlazBlue's. Is GG's audience that much smaller than BB's in the arcades?

Maybe consumers are like me and really torn between getting it for PS3 or getting it for the PS4 collecting dust but forcing me to purchase yet another stick... Unless you can use the Virtua Stick HG on PS4?

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
2735th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Thu 11 Dec 10:13:post reply

quote:
I am a bit surprised by the first week sales. They are much lower than BlazBlue's. Is GG's audience that much smaller than BB's in the arcades?

Maybe consumers are like me and really torn between getting it for PS3 or getting it for the PS4 collecting dust but forcing me to purchase yet another stick... Unless you can use the Virtua Stick HG on PS4?

I f'n LOVE GG, and I still haven't bought it yet for that exact reason.

Well, I also don't have an HD tv where I currently am, so there's that, too.

EDIT:
PS3 version is outselling PS4 substantially, but this Media Create number is kind of... sad/telling/funny?

15./00. [PS3] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.12.04} (¥8.424) - 13.758 / NEW
16./00. [PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign # <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2014.12.04} (¥7.538) - 12.638 / NEW

[this message was edited by Spoon on Thu 11 Dec 10:16]

Gojira
3081th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(4):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Thu 11 Dec 10:26post reply

Just in case not everyone knows, the street date for Xrd was lifted. What this means is that the game should be out RIGHT NOW in stores that already received shipments.

(At least that's the case in NA, not sure about other regions)

Professor
4183th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Re(10):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Thu 11 Dec 12:33:post reply

quote:

[edit] HOLY CRIPES only 27,278 sold on PS3 ?

Imo it's not too surprising. it's a lot worse than I thought

1- Arcade audience and consumer audience are two different things. Blablue succeeded in the arcades, but it also picked up on consumer audiences with this mediamix and use of popular VAs.
2- The GG series' IP value has pretty much dropped during the years, probably more than the KOF series.

That said though, the game is still pretty fun. I'm looking forward to the story mode which I hear is simply like 6 hours of pure story with no fightings.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 11 Dec 23:58]

Zepy
1654th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Re(10):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Thu 11 Dec 13:29post reply

quote:

Oh man these sales are terrible!

This is bad, I wonder if they can even budget for a 2nd game.

Pollyanna
3716th Post

"Re(5):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Thu 11 Dec 15:52post reply

quote:
I was tempted to get the JP download but I thought I'd wait for the US release and get it at retail, mainly because I know ASW will probably put a bunch of DLC for it. And generally, JP PSN cards are rather expensive to get for me.

I have enough other games to keep me busy, but yeah, with this and a lot of games, DLC is a major obstacle to importing. I need a site that does digital delivery based on current yen exchange rates. Hmmm...actually, japan-codes.com isn't looking too bad right now.

I still don't understand why the company with the region lock (Nintendo) is the only one that lets you use non-Japanese credit cards.

quote:
Sales

The Blazblue thing is mostly just confusing to me, because, even having purchased every iteration of Blazblue, I can't remember which is which by name. It seems like this would be an obstacle to uneducated consumers.

I've stopped looking at sales figures on Japanese console releases, because it's too depressing. There doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel and I can't cook up an optimistic scenario whatsoever anymore.

Internationally, it isn't quite as bleak, though, and I think Xrd might pull decent numbers outside of Japan. It's reached the point where "niche Japanese games" can sell much more in America than they do in their home country. Xrd has good press over here, so I'm hoping Japanese numbers can be typically irrelevant.

quote:

When I asked my friends if they were getting Destiny, they all said "Well, I don't have a PS4, so no...", so that sort of confusion might contribute a little as well.

As for sticks working or not working, well, I don't know if you were being sincere or not, but it's on the developers' end. The Skullgirls team said it's possible to program for PS3 joysticks on PS4 (which they are doing), but no one else has bothered. As I was sort of mentioning before, your only hope is to use a convertor/PC setup, like with a Cronusmax. It's frustratingly complicated, but people with laptops don't seem to mind and it works splendidly on other consoles.

If I hadn't nabbed that HRAP, I would've been dangerously close to being frozen with indecision myself, unwilling to play on an inferior console or with an inferior controller.

I am undressed from 80’s style and recreated with modern sexy and beautiful style that amaze you and feel never been experienced world before.

chazumaru
1380th Post

"Re(6):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Thu 11 Dec 18:43post reply

quote:
I'm looking forward to the story mode which I hear is simply like 6 hours of pure story with no fightings.

That's nice! I miss when fighting games cared about something else than fighting, and I think the GG series has one of the more interesting scenarios in fighting games' lore. North America is getting the game pretty close to Japan so, by any chance, does the Japanese version also include the English text? Or does one need to go for the Asian version?

quote:
I've stopped looking at sales figures on Japanese console releases, because it's too depressing. There doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel and I can't cook up an optimistic scenario whatsoever anymore.

Derby Stallion Gold had rather encouraging sales this week but I am not sure that is going to make you feel better...

quote:
The Skullgirls team said it's possible to program for PS3 joysticks on PS4 (which they are doing), but no one else has bothered.

Ah... That's too bad. I am still conflicted about investing in another stick.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Pollyanna
3717th Post

"Re(7):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Thu 11 Dec 19:08post reply

People seem to make a big deal out of story modes. Capcom needs to get with the program, I guess.
quote:

Derby Stallion Gold had rather encouraging sales this week but I am not sure that is going to make you feel better...

Sorry, I meant "home console." I guess "portable console" still falls under the umbrella of "console." Portable games still see somewhat respectable sales from time to time, particularly in reference to their budgets. (Ugh, I could go on and on, but another time...)

Also, I was SO SURE that girl was going to have a horse head. Instead it was just...sighhhhhhhh.

Iggy
9831th Post

"Re(7):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Thu 11 Dec 19:56post reply

quote:
North America is getting the game pretty close to Japan so, by any chance, does the Japanese version also include the English text? Or does one need to go for the Asian version?

I have the japanese PSN version, and when I booted in English because someone had again changed the language of the console to English, the game seemed entirely in that language.
I promptly left to the console's settings to set everything right.

Regardless of the language settings, you can toggle the voices to Japanese at will.

chazumaru
1381th Post

"Re(8):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Thu 11 Dec 21:41post reply

quote:
I have the japanese PSN version, and when I booted in English because someone had again changed the language of the console to English, the game seemed entirely in that language.

OK! Thanks and gracias to the mischieving Christmas Elf who changes language settings to punish people who have been naughty all year.

quote:
Sorry, I meant "home console." I guess "portable console" still falls under the umbrella of "console." Portable games still see somewhat respectable sales from time to time, particularly in reference to their budgets. (Ugh, I could go on and on, but another time...)

Ah no, my bad, I always forget about this. We don't have such a clear distinction in French (although we use the same word) so I keep forgetting "console" specifically implies home console in everyday English-spoken, game-centered conversations.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Ishmael
5043th Post

"Re(5):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Fri 12 Dec 01:59post reply

quote:
Just in case not everyone knows, the street date for Xrd was lifted. What this means is that the game should be out RIGHT NOW in stores that already received shipments.

(At least that's the case in NA, not sure about other regions)

Thanks for the news. I'll go poke around tonight and see if I can dig up a copy.
quote:

Media Create numbers... DESTROYED!

I may, however, be the only person in town buying the fool game. Yikes, what happened? Professor's explanations for GG's current status make sense but didn't ArkSys realize the state of the series as well? Xrd seems designed to be a reintroduction of the series but was it marketed that way? It seems strange that people can be convinced to go to a BB stage play but can't be sold on a shiny new game like Xrd. Did everyone buy it digitally?

quote:
People seem to make a big deal out of story modes. Capcom needs to get with the program, I guess.

Unless Capcom looks at those Xrd numbers and decides that only 27,000 people want story mode.

Pollyanna
3718th Post

"Re(6):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Fri 12 Dec 06:09post reply

quote:

Unless Capcom looks at those Xrd numbers and decides that only 27,000 people want story mode.

If Japanese sales were indicative of actual success (or lack thereof), I don't think there would even be a Capcom anymore.

Here's hoping the competitive scene takes to the game, though after years of complaining that Blazblue wasn't enough like GG, I can only assume they'll bitch about the opposite now.

Spoon
2735th Post

"Re(6):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Fri 12 Dec 06:10post reply

quote:
GG story

Parts of it seem neat and parts of it seem like incredible license to backpedal whenever they want on anything they want. But honestly whatever lets them keep generating the wild characters that they do I'll support. Then again, how many times did Charlie Nash die in SFZ series to Bison before killing Bison only to somehow be dead before SF2?

quote:
languages

The Asia region version has full English: menus, subtitles, voices, etc. I know a number of people got it from HK for that reason specifically.

quote:
Super Story Mode

At first I wondered if GG has the problem of too much backstory for the story to be a huge selling point, but then I remember how niche the appeal of GG was in the first place here in North America. Most people probably never knew nor cared about its story for the story to be a discouraging factor.

I hope Chipp becomes president of America for life sometime in the Xrd series.

quote:
saleswreck

I'm kind of flabbergasted at how low the numbers are in total for Japan, too. If a game that traditionally has had such particular domestic market appeal with a die-hard core audience flounders so hard in their domestic market, I can't help but wonder what that spells for them... aside from them wondering why on earth it's doing better outside Japan, hopefully. But really, there's no positive to take from that.

Ishmael
5044th Post

"Re(7):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Fri 12 Dec 09:57post reply

I assume that any answer to this question will have to be anecdotal, but how did Xrd do in the arcade? Did it gain a following? Was it popular for a week and then everyone drifted back to their usual games? Did the GG crowd embrace the game?

Oh, and I went and checked on the dropped US street date only to find that the embargo had been reinstated. Xrd is turning out to be quite the game and I haven't even played it yet.

Mosquiton
2016th Post

"Re(8):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Fri 12 Dec 12:43post reply

Man, I'd come close to writing this one off based on the roster choices. As I've complained about before, my three favorite characters were all cut!

My previous favorites were Testament, Johnny, and Baiken... so obviously I enjoy staggering, zoning/traps, upper-body invincibility, and mist finery. I'm kind of interested in Elphelt... who I guess is a DLC character included with the first run. Do you guys think she's a good match for me?

Regardless, I'm still kind of iffy although the game is visually fantastic. Playing through the demo with Ky I almost died of embarrassment from the silly dialogue. Then I heard the ending theme song 'Lily' and actually did die of embarrassment.

But then I came back to life and came up with lyrics for a modified cover version:

Lily! Daisuke! You'll never change.

They all want a brand new game today…
No matter what’s DLC…

All my mains that meant so much to me those days…
(The) tide has washed them all away to Vain…

Oh please don’t sing for me, darnit!
Don't add these vocals here, or your song may become shitty!

Oh please don’t sing for me, darnit!
Just stand and play guitar, your lyrics are awkward stuff…

I might need to wait…
Need to wait…
Need to wait for XRD PLUS!

/ / /

Professor
4185th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Fri 12 Dec 14:29:post reply

Mosquiton-- nice cover, lol!

quote:
I assume that any answer to this question will have to be anecdotal, but how did Xrd do in the arcade? Did it gain a following? Was it popular for a week and then everyone drifted back to their usual games? Did the GG crowd embrace the game?

It did "ok". It wasn't anything like KOF12 or Undernight Inbirth, but it wasn't a hit either. When considering how crazy its first loketest was, I can't say the game was as a success on its arcade launch as I was expecting. Given its visuals, I was thinking that it'd attract more of the casual crowd to the arcades like the way that Blazblue and Persona series did.

It certainly brought the old-school players back (like the top player Ogawa Eddie) even though a chunk of them seemed to complain that it's not the same game that they used to play. Needless to say, the experienced players have an edge over new players and they're still at the tops.

Interestingly enough, as far as hardcore non-GG fighting players in Japan goes, that seems to be a major factor contributing to them not picking up the game. They seem to be aiming for the newer franchises like the new Sega Shining RPG fighter (Blade Arcus) and DengekiFC, since they have a better chance of winning tournaments at the titles.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 12 Dec 17:29]

Loona
807th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(6):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Fri 12 Dec 19:24post reply

quote:

The same Capcom that has no intro or ending viewing gallery in their SF games for people who actually care about story (how hard can it be to have a menu for assests already in the game?...), assumed nobody expected Decapre for Ultra, and lately appears to try and focus on the game's players as a narrative instead, like the eSports giants like LOL and Starcraft do...

6 hours of story on GG Xrd sounds like quite a bit... I wonder if they've ever considered selling just that as a lower-priced visual novel, letting you buy the fighting part as a later extension that would cost a bit more by then than if you'd just buy the full game from the start, or the other way around, not unlike how you can buy the story mode separately for the F2P DoA5U version.

...!!

chazumaru
1383th Post

"Re(9):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Fri 12 Dec 22:01:post reply

quote:
When considering how crazy its first loketest was, I can't say the game was as a success on its arcade launch as I was expecting.

Eventually, could it be because of the split between Sega and Taito?

GG runs on Sega hardware/cabinets/network services and is more pushed at Sega arcades. BB runs on Taito hardware/cabinets and is more pushed at Taito arcades.

I always thought this was a sensible and clever split for Arc Systems, making sure they cover their bases on both political/strategic partnerships and also to make sure they have presence wherever the audience is shifting (a successful example of this strategy is how Atlus divided Megaten and Persona to Nintendo and Sony respectively).

However, maybe in the case of GG, it actually did more harm than good? If you were are a fan of ASW games such as BB or P4U until now, you could rely on Nesicaxlive = you had your Nesica card, probably the same friends at your local arcade etc.

But for a BB user to jump into GGXrd, they have to use APM instead of Nesica, and their local arcade might be affiliated with Taito and not support GGXrd so much (maybe not at all if it's a small venue).

Meanwhile, for existing APM users, it seems the game catalogue they can enjoy is much more centered towards IP/chara-based fighting games, with a specific taste that (from my outsider perspective) does not necessarily match the "charm points" of GGXrd.

But maybe I am reading too much into this and arcade users are not so strongly attached to a specific service. Considering the crash of the arcade business (as demonstrated by Sega's recent numbers), maybe it's just that too many potential users are gone and the next ASW game on Nesica will suffer the same fate.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Fri 12 Dec 22:10]

Professor
4187th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Sat 13 Dec 15:59:post reply

quote:
GG runs on Sega hardware/cabinets/network services and is more pushed at Sega arcades. BB runs on Taito hardware/cabinets and is more pushed at Taito arcades.

This is certainly true! Taito arcades certainly tend to have a lot more Nesica units than APM units, and it goes vice versa with Sega arcades. Most arcades offers both systems.

That said, arcade users really don't have preference of one arcade system over the other-- they'll just play on whatever system their favored game is on. The Nesica and APM requires different IC cards but that's not an issue since you don't need them unless you want to keep record or earn points for customization stuff, and they're only 300 yen.

Sega's APM was released late after the Taito Nesica but I think it's doing relatively good. As far as it goes for casual players, I think Sega actually offers more insentive to buy an IC card than Taito because they offer some free-to-play games like PuyoPuyo Quest.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 13 Dec 16:00]

Ishmael
5047th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Guilty Gear Xrd Release Thread" , posted Sun 14 Dec 03:49post reply

Thanks for all the possible reasons for Xrd's less than stellar numbers. It sounds like there wasn't any one thing that went wrong but a multitude of little problems that hurt Xrd. That's too bad because the game is gorgeous and a multitude of fighting games is good for the genre. Hopefully ASW can figure out how to get back on track since I would hate for GG's revival to end before it even starts.

Maou
2713th Post

"free Christmas costumes" , posted Sun 14 Dec 04:53post reply

Speaking of Christmas, it would be a real shame to miss these splendid free downloadable Christmas costumes from December 17-24. I literally put it in my calendar. I mean, look at Dr. Baghead's Faust's world-class pants!

Ishmael
5050th Post

"Re(1):free Christmas costumes" , posted Thu 18 Dec 02:20post reply

I feel like I'm the last person on planet Earth to own a copy of Xrd because I had to wait for the proper US release date. Now that I've endured the equivalent shame of being picked last in gym class I can finally share my random thoughts on my first go at the game:

For some reason Elphelt's colossal cleavage was modified on the US cover but was left wild and free when the same picture was used on the instruction booklet. Some parts of the game can only be appreciated after purchase.

Speaking of the instruction manual I actually pulled it out to look up information while playing. How retro! I had hoped to find a refresher on the bursts, variations on blocking and all the other parts of the gameplay that are less than obvious. Instead the manual seemed fascinated with going on about the lobby system at the expense of everything else.

I had forgotten how many characters in GG build their game plan around filling the screen with crap. I'm not certain if the switch in screen size has helped or hurt these characters.

Wait, this game is taking place after GG2: Overture? Was that game well enough received that it's still canon? I guess I'm going to have to play story mode to figure out what the heck is going on.

Hopefully I can soon feel comfortable enough with the game to hop online. I've played GG since the PS1 game so it's only taken me the better part of a dozen years to start getting a grip on how to play. These things take time.

Spoon
2742th Post

"Re(2):free Christmas costumes" , posted Thu 18 Dec 03:55post reply

quote:
I feel like I'm the last person on planet Earth to own a copy of Xrd because I had to wait for the proper US release date.

My copy didn't arrive until yesterday, and I still haven't had a chance to play it.

quote:
Overture is canon

On one hand Sin is straight out of Overture, and Ky more or less has his Overture appearance... on the other hand, Sol is still dressed like the Sol we know from GGX.

GPA
75th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):free Christmas costumes" , posted Thu 18 Dec 09:57post reply

quote:
I feel like I'm the last person on planet Earth to own a copy of Xrd because I had to wait for the proper US release date.

My copy didn't arrive until yesterday, and I still haven't had a chance to play it.

Overture is canon

On one hand Sin is straight out of Overture, and Ky more or less has his Overture appearance... on the other hand, Sol is still dressed like the Sol we know from GGX.

Don't worry, just got my copy yesterday, too! The US PSN Store does not have the Christmas costumes, I wonder if I can log into my JP account and download them there?

Doesn't Sol wear something more like his GG2 costume in story mode? Despite the story mode in this being pretty unconventional for this type of game, I did enjoy it and like that I can watch it while I draw and do other things...

Maou
2720th Post

"Re(2):free Christmas costumes" , posted Thu 18 Dec 12:06:post reply

quote:
it's only taken me the better part of a dozen years to start getting a grip on how to play. These things take time.

Heheh. At least you've been trying---I've been trying just to get around to trying the series for the last dozen years.

If there is a way to get the Christmas costumes in the international versions, I really can't recommend them highly enough. Pochemkin works marvelously as a robot Santa Claus, I-no finally has the white underwear she deserves, Millia gets flashy for once, and Faust's striped pants bring him to Dudley-level foppish classiness.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 18 Dec 12:07]

Spoon
2744th Post

"Re(3):free Christmas costumes" , posted Fri 19 Dec 06:57post reply

quote:
Faust's striped pants bring him to Dudley-level foppish classiness.

I'm hoping that at some point they release a Norwegian olympic curling team DLC.

Professor
4203th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):free Christmas costumes" , posted Mon 22 Dec 22:32:post reply

Quick reminder to owners of the JP version: the free Xmas color goes off from PSN store in 2 more days!
Grab it if you haven't. Chipp is colored as a... Reindeer?

After the next patch gets released, it may be a good time to hold a session

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 22 Dec 22:42]

Ishmael
5054th Post

"Re(5):free Christmas costumes" , posted Thu 25 Dec 02:40post reply

A few more random thoughts:

Axl's mother dresses him funny.

The arcade endings are horribly unsatisfying. Ending on the grim sight of a mother and her baby being vaporized is not much of a reward for getting past Ms. Hot Pants. Even a "congratulations" screen would be better than being told that all my efforts were only a preamble for the story.

Speaking of the story, I appreciate that the Story Mode doesn't have pointless fights shoehorned in. Too often these modes demand I play as some character I don't care about in an arbitrary match to advance the plot. Xrd believes in it's story enough that it doesn't try to keep me engaged by occasionally pushing buttons.

While Xrd's Story Mode is engaging by not being interactive it does seem to require outside reading. Those Valentine girls seem awfully important but I'm still not 100% certain what their deal is or where they came from. The Story Mode plays out like an anime but it's more like a later season of a show in which I missed a good number of earlier episodes. I thought Overture was a filler arc!

Spoon
2750th Post

"Re(6):free Christmas costumes" , posted Thu 25 Dec 04:52post reply

I've had the chance to play the game briefly a few times on PS3 now.

The Training mode things are generally really good! I love that there is a mission about blocking Dust (though the "win" condition is a little misleading, since it's possible to win the mission without ever successfully blocking a Dust...), and one about hit confirming. Some of the challenge mode combos are surprisingly legit (the Faust ones teach you to FDC j.2K, do a standard combo from FDC j.2K, to jump install).

Reading some character data, I am stunned to see that Bedman has the same defense multiplier as Potemkin! The fact that he doesn't have totally gimped mobility and the potential for incredibly confusing and damaging okizeme that sets up further okizeme suggests to me that he will be highly ranked unless his neutral game is really that weak.

Leo looks like a strong beginner's character with surprisingly strong damage off of really simple stuff.

Faust is still mostly Faust. In tune with the simplifications going to Xrd, he has lost a lot of the powerful gatlings he got in AC and AC+, as well as some of the normal property bonuses. Property-wise, specifically, in AC many characters gained a vacuuming property on some normals. Axl has kept one of his, but Faust has lost his (vacuum 2S). Gatlings-wise he has lost his ability to chain far 5S into 2K, 2D into 2S, and some more. Weirdly, his far 5S should be a LOT slower than before (10F startup from 7F startup), but somehow it feels faster than before. This is in spite of the fact that some characters like Sol are as fast ever on some of their key normals.

Faust being able to hold P when throwing an item so that he can baseball bat the item is stupidly fun. If Fausts can hit the items of other Fausts, I totally want Faust bomb Lethal League.

Maou
2722th Post

"Re(6):free Christmas costumes" , posted Thu 25 Dec 05:10:post reply

quote:
not much of a reward for getting past Ms. Hot Pants
Ms. Hot Pants is a reward in and of herself! I'm amazed that she was playable from the start, whereas you had to earn (ha) or buy (ahaha) Sin.

Spoon: New Faust's most important new move is still the delightfully animated kanchou, though.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 25 Dec 05:14]

Spoon
2752th Post

"Re(7):free Christmas costumes" , posted Thu 25 Dec 06:30:post reply

quote:

Spoon: New Faust's most important new move is still the delightfully animated kanchou, though.

It will surely provide an unlimited stream of inspiration for a new generation of GG doujin porn.
I-no's reaction alone will launch a thousand strips.

His helicopter move from pogo is quite a delight, too! It might be totally useless, but it's wonderful.

quote:
unlocking Sin

I've heard of people paying money to unlock Sin because they needed him immediately available on multiple consoles for an event.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Thu 25 Dec 06:32]

Toxico
5936th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(8):free psn+?" , posted Wed 31 Dec 08:19post reply

So yeah, a friend of mine who doesn't have a console got this for the sake of coming over every time he pleases.

As a consequence, I got to try this. I'm surprised that basically the same cheese I used in DreamCast still lives (obviously there is better stuff to do, but I haven't tried it out things yet; as I am yet to have a lone practice session). He might leave me the game some time so that I unlock things (I have no clue on what can be unlocked, of course).

Since I have previous experience with the saga I'm supposed to give advice and whatnot, which is obviously too much for me since I barely understand my character.

I managed to get the Elf and the Chrsitmas colors, I have no clue on the psn ones nor the DLC color packs.

Oh, and since I can't pronounce the name of the boss, I call her Ramba Ral

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12