How would YOU re-use game assets for mobile? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2678 Views )

HokutoAndy
76th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"How would YOU re-use game assets for mobile?" , posted Fri 11 Jul 05:24post reply

So Metal Slug Defense is doin' pretty darn good and has all that beautiful awesome Metal Slug spritework in there. The KoF rhythm game is also pretty neat. Now mobile games aren't anyone's favorites here, but if you had access to any game's art assets, how would you re-use them for an online mobile game?

Some ideas I have:

Front Mission/Armored Core AI Battlers

I've been rewatching old Front Mission Alternative clips, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oludg5mWVpc and it made me think "Man, you could totally turn this into a mobile game where you just send squads of wanzers out to shoot and punch at the enemy." It would basically play like Clash of Clans with more focus on unit customization and some simple directions to give to your squads, so half of the game is building up your base and collecting resources, the other half is sending out your wanzers to wreck your enemy's base and loot 'em.

Armored Core Formula Front was a game where you built an AC then trained the AI to go fight other AI's, this would also work well with mobile asynchronous gameplay.

Replies:

Spoon
2631th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):How would YOU re-use game assets for mo" , posted Fri 11 Jul 05:59post reply

quote:
So Metal Slug Defense is doin' pretty darn good and has all that beautiful awesome Metal Slug spritework in there. The KoF rhythm game is also pretty neat. Now mobile games aren't anyone's favorites here, but if you had access to any game's art assets, how would you re-use them for an online mobile game?

Some ideas I have:

I've been rewatching old Front Mission Alternative clips, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oludg5mWVpc and it made me think "Man, you could totally turn this into a mobile game where you just send squads of wanzers out to shoot and punch at the enemy." It would basically play like Clash of Clans with more focus on unit customization and some simple directions to give to your squads, so half of the game is building up your base and collecting resources, the other half is sending out your wanzers to wreck your enemy's base and loot 'em.

Armored Core Formula Front was a game where you built an AC then trained the AI to go fight other AI's, this would also work well with mobile asynchronous gameplay.

I would get all of capcom's beat em.up sprites and use them in a dragon force style game.

I remember loathing the ai cockfights in front mission because of how dumb they could act. But when the matchup was good i loved the money. I remember the ai battle in rtype final to be frustrating because a few of them didn't have ai that understood indirect attacking, while some others could win brainlessly.

Maybe what i'm saying i really want is a metal gear and carnage heart mashup where you are playing as a programmer/researcher/commander for the Patriots and you are developing their AI forces which are being VR and battle tested throughout the world.

Loona
765th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):How would YOU re-use game assets for mo" , posted Thu 17 Jul 09:28post reply

I find it interesting that Capcom's Armored Warriors and Cyberbots share a setting, but only the machines appear to be common between them, yet both are fairly story-intensive for their genres and time.

It would be neat if there were a SRW-ish game that unified them a bit more, taking more advantage of the separation between machines and pilots, and differences between mech models - looking briefly through an AW longplay, it seems at least legs are swappable there, which would explain the variants in Cyberbots, so that's something else that could be played with.
Then again, it might degenerate into in-app purchases of overpowered mech modules or something...

...!!

karasu
1397th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):How would YOU re-use game assets for mo" , posted Fri 18 Jul 00:53post reply

quote:
I find it interesting that Capcom's Armored Warriors and Cyberbots share a setting, but only the machines appear to be common between them, yet both are fairly story-intensive for their genres and time.

It would be neat if there were a SRW-ish game that unified them a bit more, taking more advantage of the separation between machines and pilots, and differences between mech models - looking briefly through an AW longplay, it seems at least legs are swappable there, which would explain the variants in Cyberbots, so that's something else that could be played with.
Then again, it might degenerate into in-app purchases of overpowered mech modules or something...

I thought sure there was an explicit connection between some of the characters, although I may be remembering incorrectly.

Cyberbots especially is one of those games that I can recall being sure at the time would get a sequel, or at least some kind of followup. I guess at least we got Jin in Marvel vs Capcom and Blodia in the console version of Kikaioh.

I'll agree though that it's a perfect choice for a MSD-style game.

www.secret-arts.com

nobinobita
1331th Post

"Re(3):How would YOU re-use game assets for mo" , posted Fri 18 Jul 03:14post reply

quote:

I thought sure there was an explicit connection between some of the characters, although I may be remembering incorrectly.

Cyberbots especially is one of those games that I can recall being sure at the time would get a sequel, or at least some kind of followup. I guess at least we got Jin in Marvel vs Capcom and Blodia in the console version of Kikaioh.

I'll agree though that it's a perfect choice for a MSD-style game.

That would be perfect. The robots all have swappable parts too. I would play the hell outta that.

Man, I just love the world of Cyberbots and Armored Warriors. It's got this really great "Alien/Predator/Blade Runner" gritty sci-fi vibe. Everything feels really worn in. I love it.

Man, Kinu Nishimura should be the character designer on everything!
http://www.arcadequartermaster.com/capcom/armwar_guldin.html

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
2643th Post

"Re(4):How would YOU re-use game assets for mo" , posted Fri 18 Jul 07:10post reply

I'm pretty sure we've had this talk before between Cyberbots and Front Mission
Front Mission really does have all kinds of cornerstones for making a great mobile game, but it seems like the series has been marked by ever-shrinking sales in the mainline strategy games, and mediocre performance as an action game. I remember when I first heard about Front Mission Online and thought to myself how awesome that sounded! At first I wondered if the 3D mecha models of the PS2 FM games would seem too low poly, but when I think about how most mobile games look these days, I think they can do just fine as long as good use of the series' great character art is done, and a sharp UI is there.

Thinking about beat'em up with robots that have swappable parts reminds me of Cyborg Justice.

When it comes to taking an old sci-fi action game and turning it into a strategy game, I keep thinking about what Irem did with R-Type most of all, though! I would love to have a galactic fleet war with the dozens and dozens of ships of R-Type, and the never-ending war sets up a fine premise for there being endless skirmishes for you to grind your fleet on and for the game going on and on and on. In fact, it would be fantastic if the game was deployed in "seasons", where the penultimate event of every season would be a raid on the Bydo forces, and after the "success" of that mission, it is followed up with a defense of the Earth against Bydo-corrupted ships of the players that participated in the assault on the Bydo.

red falcon
6213th Post

PSN: Rugalbgood
XBL: RugalBGood
Wii: Doesitmatter?

"Re(5):How would YOU re-use game assets for mo" , posted Fri 18 Jul 12:22post reply

Speaking of shooter related strategy games, anyone here remember Cosmic Wars?

Maou
2667th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a

"Re(6):How would YOU re-use game assets for mo" , posted Fri 18 Jul 12:44post reply

All the gorgeous art from the Justice Gakuen 熱血青春日記 lifesim, for a mobile...lifesim? It's all right there, just add new script!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

karasu
1398th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

"Re(6):How would YOU re-use game assets for mo" , posted Sat 19 Jul 01:06post reply

quote:
Speaking of shooter related strategy games, anyone here remember Cosmic Wars?

Of course! I've never played it, although I did try Paro Wars. It was... good enough that I think something like it could be attempted for mobile. Not like Konami would do such a thing these days.

quote:
All the gorgeous art from the Justice Gakuen 熱血青春日記 lifesim, for a mobile...lifesim? It's all right there, just add new script!

It's true, but like I said about Konami, I find it hard to believe that Capcom would even invest that tiny bit of effort.

You'd think that all these companies would just get an intern to work on one of these games or something.

www.secret-arts.com

GekigangerV
1872th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(7):How would YOU re-use game assets for mo" , posted Wed 23 Jul 01:57post reply

quote:

Damn, you are right. The pieces just fall into place.

I wonder how hard it would have been for Capcom to take the Arthur and Firebrand assets from Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and put them in a new PSN/XBL Ghosts N' Goblins game. They pretty much have every animation Arthur needs except for ladder climbing and the actual death animation. They almost all the weapon properties except for Bronze armor as well as a bronze armor model. Hell, there were a lot of assets from the Ghost N' Goblins stage they could have taken as well.

kofoguz
1130th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):How would YOU re-use game assets for mo" , posted Tue 25 Nov 22:28post reply

quote:

Some ideas I have:

Excellent discussion. I believe Pocket fighters assets could re-used some kind of puzzle or RPG-lite like game. Or I never played it but I heard good things about Samurai Shodown RPG So maybe beside a re-release also using its assets could give good results.

Also For MSD if they are not planning a sequel(isn't needed since its a free game that can be updated) I believe they should create new sprites.There are tons of characters to explore especially from handheld series. And my deck needs more Eri. Fat mummified zombie clone Eri would be great.

GekigangerV
1898th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):How would YOU re-use game assets for mo" , posted Wed 26 Nov 14:52:post reply

quote:
Excellent discussion. I believe Pocket fighters assets could re-used some kind of puzzle or RPG-lite like game. Or I never played it but I heard good things about Samurai Shodown RPG So maybe beside a re-release also using its assets could give good results.

Also For MSD if they are not planning a sequel(isn't needed since its a free game that can be updated) I believe they should create new sprites.There are tons of characters to explore especially from handheld series. And my deck needs more Eri. Fat mummified zombie clone Eri would be great.

I was thinking of Puzzle Fighter on mobile the other day when this Street Fighter Puzzle Spirits video popped up

Link Here

It doesn't look too much like a Puzzle and Dragons rip-off as the original shots seemed to indicate, but I sure would like some more Puzzle Fighter action.

As for MSD, I think they slowly running out of interesting stuff to take from the old games. They may need to redraw stuff from Neo Geo Pocket Color games to keep things fresh. It would be hilarious to see some KOF NGPC characters pop up in MSD, it would probably get me to spend some medals.

In non-mobile thoughts, I was playing some Smash Run on Smash Bros 3DS and I sure would like to see that team try to use those assets to make a Mega Man, Super Metroid or even Sonic game with those assets to make a game in the same vein as Double Helix's Strider game on PSN/XBL (a game that isn't AAA budget but gives a good experience). Much like the Arthur stuff I mentioned in my previous post, they have a lot of stuff that would translate well to a platformer much like their original games.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Wed 26 Nov 15:07]