Gundam G-Reco is a Capcom Artist Reunion! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2153 Views )

nobinobita
1310th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Gundam G-Reco is a Capcom Artist Reunion!" , posted Tue 24 Jun 17:31:post reply

The main staff has been announced for Tomino's new Gundam series, Gundam Reconguista in G (in which Tomino returns to writing and directing)

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/06/22/gundam-reconguista-in-g-advance-screening-event-to-be-held-in-august

The most exciting part?

Mechanical Design: Akira Yasuda
Design Works: Kinu Nishimura
Design Works: Bengus (!!!)

;lks;ldkf;lksdf;lks;dlfks;dlfk;sdklf

SO UNSPEAKABLY EXCITED

(I love how they listed Bengus as "Cheese Gouda" LOL)

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Tue 24 Jun 17:44]

Replies:

Pollyanna
3661th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Gundam G-Reco is a Capcom Artist Reunio" , posted Tue 24 Jun 20:26post reply

I'm thrilled to see Kenichi Yoshida involved as well. Perhaps I can thank him for the lovely color scheme of the show.

Although I am a huge Tomino fan, I have no expectations that the show will be great. I know it will be interesting and I know I will buy the artbook. I won't expect another Turn A Gundam, but if I can get as much out of it as King Gainer, it won't be a failure in my book, at least.

Speaking of which, have you seen the King Gainer manga? Like the TV series, the content is a little iffy, but the artwork is just lovely. Here's hoping for a pretty G-Reco manga as well...

I am undressed from 80’s style and recreated with modern sexy and beautiful style that amaze you and feel never been experienced world before.

nobinobita
1311th Post

"Re(2):Gundam G-Reco is a Capcom Artist Reunio" , posted Wed 25 Jun 03:55:post reply

quote:
I'm thrilled to see Kenichi Yoshida involved as well. Perhaps I can thank him for the lovely color scheme of the show.

Kenichi Yoshida is amazing too! I am embarrassed to admit that for years I just assumed that all his character design work was from Kinu Nishimura.

quote:
Speaking of which, have you seen the King Gainer manga? Like the TV series, the content is a little iffy, but the artwork is just lovely. Here's hoping for a pretty G-Reco manga as well...

Haven't read it. Just googled it. Wow the art is really good! I love this 70s infused style. I wonder if 80s anime conventions (Kenichi Sonada, Project-Ako, etc) are due for a comeback soon.

Man, looking through the early previews of G-Reco:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmUDyY_HFyc

The little glimpses of the mecha are so tantalizing! They feel very fresh. Filling me with new esthetic reactions. Akiman has such range, designing both mecha and characters. One of his first pieces that I fell in love with was this painting for Side Arms:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110514192113/capcomdatabase/images/a/ad/SideArt.png

Can't wait to see more of his work on G-reco. I really dig how his new Gundam feels like a young man.

Also, I asked Bengus about his involvement with G-reco via Twitter. His response was:

Thank you. but I have almost done nothing.

I hope that at least means he designed a few characters or mobile suits.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Wed 25 Jun 03:58]

Spoon
2619th Post

"Re(2):Gundam G-Reco is a Capcom Artist Reunio" , posted Wed 25 Jun 05:17post reply

quote:
I have no expectations that the show will be great.

I honestly haven't kept up with what he's made in the past several years, so I'm not in a position to judge, so I'm curious! Has nothing he's done been any good, or has he simply not done any significant original works?

chazumaru
1264th Post

"Re(3):Gundam G-Reco is a Capcom Artist Reunio" , posted Wed 25 Jun 07:24:post reply

Wow! Kinu as the chara designer!? Awesome! Great for her!

Given the Capcom connection, I wonder if the series will be as controversial and interesting as ∀ Gundam.

夏色の 誘惑 が大人になる頃、 益々 憂は エキサイティング クオリティ

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Wed 25 Jun 07:43]

Karasu
1386th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

"Re(4):Gundam G-Reco is a Capcom Artist Reunio" , posted Wed 25 Jun 07:33post reply

quote:
Wow! Kinu as the chara designer! Awesome! Great for her!

Given the Capcom connection, I wonder if the series will be as controversial and interesting as ∀ Gundam.

Design wise this has a huge chance of at least being decent, even if the story is so-so. To start, look at how awesomely non-typical the design for the main mech is! And yeah, Kinu as character designer can only be a good thing.

www.secret-arts.com

chazumaru
1263th Post

"Re(5):Gundam G-Reco is a Capcom Artist Reunio" , posted Wed 25 Jun 07:43post reply

Actually now that I checked the trailer, I realize it's "the guy from Eureka Seven" who will be the main chara designer. Far from a bad choice but less exciting. Kinu is only providing support.

夏色の 誘惑 が大人になる頃、 益々 憂は エキサイティング クオリティ

Pollyanna
3662th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(3):Gundam G-Reco is a Capcom Artist Reunio" , posted Wed 25 Jun 07:51post reply

quote:

I honestly haven't kept up with what he's made in the past several years, so I'm not in a position to judge, so I'm curious! Has nothing he's done been any good, or has he simply not done any significant original works?

He hasn't done anything. A while back, he was talking about how he had pitches, but people didn't want to work with him, because that's the state the market is in. I value Tomino's unique perspective, but sometimes it's difficult to connect with his work...or rather, it feels like it doesn't come together properly (to me at least).

Either way, I'm hugely excited about the series, I just don't have any expectations that it will be another Turn A.

I am undressed from 80’s style and recreated with modern sexy and beautiful style that amaze you and feel never been experienced world before.

nobinobita
1340th Post

"New English Language Interview with Ikeno!" , posted Thu 31 Jul 09:50:post reply

An online buddy of mine recently posted an interview he conducted with Ikeno. It's a great watch! It gives some insight into his personality, his approach to art and his relationship with the other great artists at Capcom, all of whom he considers his mentors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_8wxICeIPQ&feature=youtu.be

The interview was for a French gaming site:

http://basgrospoing.fr/2014/07/22/interview-avec-daigo-ikeno-illustrateur-de-la-saga-street-fighter/

It's really great to be able to see one of my heroes talk about himself and his work.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 31 Jul 09:51]

nobinobita
1348th Post

"Ikeno is in the Bay Area!" , posted Sat 23 Aug 17:22post reply

I met Ikeno today at the Japan Expo in San Mateo.

http://www.japan-expo.org/en/programme/daigo-ikeno-panel-and-presentation-drawing_614.htm

He gave a really wonderful presentation about his experience as an artist as Capcom. It was like Capcom art history 101. Ikeno is incredibly humble and considers Akiman, Kinu and Bengus his mentors and he spent most of the time talking about them. I got to interview him briefly after his panel. I'll post a more detailed account soon.

If you're anywhere near the Bay Area I highly recommend you come by the Japan Expo. Ikeno will be here for 2 more days. On top of that, other notable guests include Izumi Matsumoto (the artist behind Kimagure Orange Road), Akira Yamaokoa and Felipe Smith (who is an incredibly charming, talented and passionate dude)

I still can't believe I met Ikeno today haha

www.art-eater.com

Maou
2680th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh

"Re(1):Kasuga Kyousuke is in the Bay Area!" , posted Sat 23 Aug 23:55:post reply

quote:
Izumi Matsumoto (the artist behind Kimagure Orange Road)
Aaaaaaaaaah I wish I were still living there for that exact reason! The author of the bible of our collective 1980's youth! Interesting and poignant to see what he's been up to since. If only I were a teleporting esper like Kasuga Kyousuke and could join you for this Summer Mirage in the Bay Area.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 24 Aug 00:00]

Spoon
2670th Post

"Re(1):Ikeno is in the Bay Area!" , posted Sun 24 Aug 02:53post reply

quote:

I won't be back in the Bay Area till late Sunday night.

INFINITE SADNESS.

Ishmael
4947th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(2):Ikeno is in the Bay Area!" , posted Mon 25 Aug 01:56post reply

quote:

That you had the opportunity to meet Ikeno is very cool but the earthquake that was in the area doesn't sound very cool. Stay safe!

HokutoAndy
78th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Ikeno is in the Bay Area!" , posted Mon 25 Aug 19:26post reply

I got Ikeno to draw Q from SF3:3rd.

I got Shinji Aramaki (Mospeada, Megazone, Genesis Survivor Gaiarth) to draw Randis, the war-roid father figure from Genesis Survivor Gaiarth.

These may be the only drawings of Q and Randis from official creator hands made since the 20th century ended.

nobinobita
1350th Post

"Re(3):Ikeno is in the Bay Area!" , posted Tue 26 Aug 02:27:post reply

quote:

That you had the opportunity to meet Ikeno is very cool but the earthquake that was in the area doesn't sound very cool. Stay safe!

We are all OK. Thanks for your concern! That was the biggest earthquake I've ever experienced in my life, kept me and my buddies up all night (we're all from the East Coast so we're not used to this). Most of the native Californians I know just slept through it though.

The quake occurred the same night that we got to meet Ikeno for a second time and actually conduct a proper interview. It was an incredible experience. It seemed appropriate that the earth should move with such furor afterwards.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Tue 26 Aug 02:27]

Spoon
2675th Post

"Re(3):Ikeno is in the Bay Area!" , posted Tue 26 Aug 05:46post reply

quote:
I got Ikeno to draw Q from SF3:3rd.

I got Shinji Aramaki (Mospeada, Megazone, Genesis Survivor Gaiarth) to draw Randis, the war-roid father figure from Genesis Survivor Gaiarth.

These may be the only drawings of Q and Randis from official creator hands made since the 20th century ended.

Fighting style questions I've always wanted to ask and have never been able to find out the answer to:

- just what is the style of Urien's normal moves from? Sometimes I think he's meant to be this Baki-esque character that just does powerful things that somehow seem right (though he doesn't do anything like Makoto's s.HK, which is probably one of the most Baki-esque moves of all), but there are other things he does that have finesse of their own (like his own s.HK and distinctive cr.HP, or his weirdo cr.MP)

- crouching LK and a host of other crouching normals seem perfectly acceptable and believable in the world of SF somehow, in spite of how realistically implausible they are (fireballs etc. notwithstanding). Is this just due to us being conditioned to their presence in a video game? Like by video game logic, it totally makes sense that there are weaker/faster/shorter versions of moves, whether or not crouching shorts and jabs would be utterly bizarre to do in real life. Yes this question has a Urien tie-in: his crouching LK is really weird! Who came up with that, and why?

- who on earth decided that what 3S needed was not one but two grapplers with rush punches and that one of them should be a robot detective? I love Q, but his presence in the game never ceases to make me wonder.

Maese
752th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Ikeno is in the Bay Area!" , posted Wed 27 Aug 11:32post reply

quote:

He gave a really wonderful presentation about his experience as an artist as Capcom. It was like Capcom art history 101. Ikeno is incredibly humble and considers Akiman, Kinu and Bengus his mentors and he spent most of the time talking about them. I got to interview him briefly after his panel. I'll post a more detailed account soon.

We are eager to read that "more detailed account", man!

Also, thanks to Maou for posting that article about Izumi Matsumoto's latest endeavors. I found it immensely interesting. I heard the guy kind of went into retirement due to health problems on late 90s, and pretty much lost his track back then. Glad to see him back into business!

Reading how Matsumoto took Shimokitazawa and its surroundings as a base to create the fictional scenario for KOR, I realized something. A pretty obvious thing, I know, but I'd never thought about it until now. Actually, so many things and places I got to see first hand here in Japan, in fact I had already seen and experienced them thanks to Matsumoto's and many other master's works. That's why places I'd been for the first time felt so awkwardly familiar. I have I'd already "been" there without even knowing it! The power of manga is amazing.