Ikaruga's robot voice - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (6761 Views )

HokutoAndy
59th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"Ikaruga's robot voice" , posted Mon 14 Apr 20:44post reply

So the robot voice in Ikaruga, is it actually saying something or is it just noise?

Like in the last boss fight (spoilers fer those who haven't beaten it):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLEHLKT4gJ0

That robotic voice in the beginning.

Replies:

Maou
2639th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Comprehensive Ikaruga post" , posted Tue 15 Apr 12:12post reply

quote:
So the robot voice in Ikaruga, is it actually saying something
YES! During boss fights, it matches Treasure's slightly-off English heads-up display ("Warning! The huge enemy is approaching. According to the data, it is identified as Butsutekkai." Butsutekkai are empire Hourai No Kuni's ships.) That gave me the clue that this one was also English. This handy and now archive-only page has the English lines that are spoken in all versions:

Release the restrain device.Using the released power may result the possibility of destruction the ship.

You did your best. Was I helpful for you?

I am deeply grateful to you.

WHAT'S ACTUALLY GOING ON

It all works without knowing the story, but the dialogue above is between Ikaruga pilot Shinra and the mechanic Amanai back at home. Just before this, Shinra nearly defeats empress Hourai Tenrou but insists on sacrificing himself to finally defeat the sentient Stone-like Object that was amplifying her power. Yeah, it's the same Stone-like from Radiant Silvergun. Shinra asks Amanai to release the limiter on the ship, disabling bullets but enabling the total power release that finally destroys the Stone-like.

I love the ending of Ikaruga so much. I should file it under that unexpectedly moving games thread with Fuurai No Shiren. Having the Ikaruga absorb ten million bullets and then release is such a perfect marriage of story themes and game mechanics.

You know, I love Ikaruga so much that sometimes I wonder if I should make a proper translation for the garble that either Atari or Treasure themselves put in the English versions (the pathetic retranslation on Gamefaqs is no better). I guess it wouldn't be the first obscure thing I offered up to the Gamefaqs abyss.

HEY ART-EATER, LOOK AT SOME ART

Oh, the fine people of the UK have a nice Ikaruga media page up, still!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

karasu
1367th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Comprehensive Ikaruga post" , posted Thu 17 Apr 01:57post reply

quote:
So the robot voice in Ikaruga, is it actually saying something YES! During boss fights, it matches Treasure's slightly-off English heads-up display ("Warning! The huge enemy is approaching. According to the data, it is identified as Butsutekkai." Butsutekkai are empire Hourai No Kuni's ships.) That gave me the clue that this one was also English. This handy and now archive-only page has the English lines that are spoken in all versions:

Release the restrain device.Using the released power may result the possibility of destruction the ship.

The oddness of the language used has always been one of my favorite aspects of both games. Especially (from Radiant SIlvergun):

No Repine
Never Shrink
Satori Mind

I really need to get on buying the Steam version of Ikaruga. It's rude of me not to!

quote:

Uh oh, your linking must have triggered some kind of failsafe that brought the page down! Or perhaps they were only betting on 3 or 4 simultaneous viewers?

www.secret-arts.com

Maou
2640th Post

"Re(2):Comprehensive Ikaruga post" , posted Thu 17 Apr 10:45post reply

quote:
Uh oh, your linking must have triggered some kind of failsafe that brought the page down!

Rgh, I think that the Steam release or the Cafe viewership released the limiter and caused the site to self-destruct Ikaruga-style.

I shall not perish without having lived. Even if the vessel bandwidth of my ideals should remain unfilled, I shall not yield. With this, I can die without regrets.

Fortunately, per the ending, its lifeforce is passed on through the generations, in this case through the online archives which are fully operational.

nobinobita
1281th Post

"Re(1):Comprehensive Ikaruga post" , posted Thu 17 Apr 15:13post reply

quote:
So the robot voice in Ikaruga, is it actually saying something YES! During boss fights, it matches Treasure's slightly-off English heads-up display ("Warning! The huge enemy is approaching. According to the data, it is identified as Butsutekkai." Butsutekkai are empire Hourai No Kuni's ships.) That gave me the clue that this one was also English. This handy and now archive-only page has the English lines that are spoken in all versions:

WHAT'S ACTUALLY GOING ON

It all works without knowing the story, but the dialogue above is between Ikaruga pilot Shinra and the mechanic Amanai back at home. Just before this, Shinra nearly defeats empress Hourai Tenrou but insists on sacrificing himself to finally defeat the sentient Stone-like Object that was amplifying her power. Yeah, it's the same Stone-like from Radiant Silvergun. Shinra asks Amanai to release the limiter on the ship, disabling bullets but enabling the total power release that finally destroys the Stone-like.

I love the ending of Ikaruga so much. I should file it under that unexpec

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Maou if you ever feel like jotting down all your thoughts on Ikaruga (or Lunar or any other game), I'd love to put em up on Art-Eater. You always have something scholarly or interesting or funny to say, so it'd be my great pleasure to host your musings.

quote:
HEY ART-EATER, LOOK AT SOME ART

You better believe I tweeted the hell outta that site a few months ago!

https://twitter.com/Richmond_Lee/status/438386097286950912

I'm greatly alarmed to see the site go offline. Time to archive everything!

www.art-eater.com

Madgear
8th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Comprehensive Ikaruga post" , posted Fri 18 Apr 02:51post reply

You did! I checked it out! Also, gooood topic, I've always loved that voice, but never knew what was being said!

quote:

WHAT'S ACTUALLY GOING ON

[/U

rlateef.com / rlateef.wordpress.com

Maese
747th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Comprehensive Ikaruga post" , posted Fri 18 Apr 03:16post reply

quote:
You did! I checked it out! Also, gooood topic, I've always loved that voice, but never knew what was being said!

I don't have anything to contribute to the topic, but since it's 3:13 AM and I'm stuck in the office, half drunk, surrounded by comatose people waiting for the first train to go back home, I just wanted to point out that your nickname is awesome and seeing it on screen made my day night. MMCafe is the place to be.

karasu
1369th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

"Re(4):Comprehensive Ikaruga post" , posted Fri 18 Apr 04:15post reply

quote:
I don't have anything to contribute to the topic, but since it's 3:13 AM and I'm stuck in the office, half drunk, surrounded by comatose people waiting for the first train to go back home, I just wanted to point out that your nickname is awesome and seeing it on screen made my day night. MMCafe is the place to be.

Maese, it's funny, but you very nearly got to meet Madgear in person while in San Francisco. I think just scheduling prevented it. Next time! It sounds as though a good time must have been had to leave you at that state at 3:13am, although for me at least it's at that gorgeous hour that 'drinker's regret' often starts to sink in.

Madgear, glad to see you've returned to the Cafe! We should start some kind of insane Capcom conversation!

www.secret-arts.com

Maou
2644th Post

"Re(5):Comprehensive Ikaruga post" , posted Mon 21 Apr 13:09:post reply

One polite e-mail later, Ikaruga.co.uk returns! Rejoice!

嗚呼、斑鳩が行く・・・・・・
望まれることなく、浮き世から捨てられし彼等を動かすもの。
それは、生きる意志を持つ者の意地に他ならない
O, the Ikarugas set forth...
Unwanted and discarded from this sorrowful world, what is it that drives them?
It is nothing other than the determination of those with the will to live.

Also: Thanks, Nobi! I will think about that~

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 21 Apr 14:27]

Madgear
9th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Comprehensive Ikaruga post" , posted Wed 23 Apr 05:27post reply

quote:

Haha, thanks man! Thats awesome to hear actually! I'm glad we're like minded in that sort! Karasu, thank you as well! You know what I'll do? I'll start a thread here about my arcade cabinet restoration! Maybe you all can give me some great ideas.

The hard part, cleaning it, is all done.

rlateef.com / rlateef.wordpress.com

hokutoandy
60th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Comprehensive Ikaruga post" , posted Thu 24 Apr 12:08post reply

quote:

WHAT'S ACTUALLY GOING ON

I had read that but wasn't sure exactly where in the game that was. Is that text displayed as the final boss fight begins, or was the robot voice somehow translated?

I thought it was the ship talking to you about "no regrets", but it's the mechanic?

Maou
2646th Post

"Re(2):Comprehensive Ikaruga post" , posted Thu 24 Apr 13:17:post reply

quote:

I had read that but wasn't sure exactly where in the game that was. Is that text displayed as the final boss fight begins, or was the robot voice somehow translated?

I thought it was the ship talking to you about "no regrets", but it's the mechanic?
How timely, I'm listening to the Stone-like Object finale music right now. Actually, I think you're right! You can't really tell by the English (assuming you can hear it), but from that page I posted above with the full backstory, I see that the robotic English voice's original Japanese text isn't the mechanic Amanai, so I suppose it really must be just Shinra and his ship talking! It gets sort of muddled because in the larger script outside of the game, Shinra does ask Amanai to release the limiter, and the clunky robot English (used in all versions of the game) alone could be interpeted that way.

The "no regrets" line, which appears as on-screen text right as you defeat Hourai Tenrou's ship and the yellow Stone-Like Object emerges, is meant to be 2P pilot Kagari speaking to Shinra as she realizes he intends to sacrifice himself, and recalling the "no regrets" line originally spoken by the village elder who sent them:

And thus...you must carry this through to the end, leaving no regrets.
I shall not perish without having lived.
Even if the vessel of my ideals should remain unfilled, I shall not yield.
With this, I can die without regrets.
...I should have known this. Will we be able to see freedom?

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 24 Apr 13:22]

Maou
2684th Post

"a most gorgeous Steam update" , posted Thu 25 Sep 14:13:post reply

Hello pilots, I must inform you (a month late, I'm afraid) that the Steam edition of Ikaruga has a marvelous update with all of the art and graphic design materials, as well as a full soundtrack mode with matching story text for each chapter of the soundtrack, originally from the Dreamcast bonus disc, I believe.

I was curious if they would translate the story in the profile art and soundtrack mode using Treasure's same delightful bizarro-English from the above thread, so I switched the mode to English as an experiment, and the answer is:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
they just threw out all the text. D: Sorry, kids!

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 25 Sep 14:21]