Random Thread #21 - New Consoles Edition - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (9058 Views )

chazumaru
1127th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Random Game Thread #21 - New Consoles Edition" , posted Fri 15 Nov 20:17:post reply

I have no idea whether this is really the 21st random thread. I picked a number at... Random.
The previous thread was getting too long for my browser's taste. Following up on this discussion...

quote:
Anyone else getting a PS4?

I'll wait for the Japanese launch. There is literally not a single game coming out in 2013 that interests me, or even a quirky service like ToroStation to enjoy. I can't even play my PS3 backlog on the console. What's the point, honestly?

Also, I want to make sure there is no funny business like that Vita TV surprise (it's impossible to use a non-Japanese account on Vita TV). My main account is Japanese so I want to make sure I can use it rightaway / not have it gimped (or blocked) because I first entered a European account.

Still, I'd hate not to be on the new console launch bandwagon and miss the opportunity to complain about messy rushed titles or stupid firmware updates, so I pre-ordered a (European) Xbox One yesterday. I'll have both consoles at some point anyway so let's get started with the one that actually has a few identifiable exclusives. I am expecting to spend most of my time making fun of Killer Instinct and making excuses for Crimson Dragon. I also picked Dead Rising 3 which seems like the most appropriate "unperfect but fun launch game" for the console, and Forza 5 in order to see a good demonstration of the console's graphics and (more importantly) vibrating controller triggers. I never played the series and I was much more excited by what I saw from GT6 but I guess a racing sim is never too different from other racing sims.

My Xbox One should arrive at the office the Monday after Super Mario 3D World is released on the Japanese eShop; there can't be a better timing!

i  n   t  h  e   f  a  s  t   l  a  n  e   ♪

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Wed 4 Dec 21:48]

Replies:

Burning Ranger
1753th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Random Thread #21 - New Consoles Editio" , posted Sat 16 Nov 00:38post reply

quote:

Anyone else getting a PS4?

Nope, and I probably won't be getting an X1 anytime soon either. The next console I may purchase will be a Wii U, but that may change based on what happens in the game industry. I'm still not sold that I need to abandon our perfectly good current generation of consoles for something new. Hopefully, the powers that be will remain committed to the current gen.

In the meantime, I plan on picking up the new 3DS Zelda next week.

So much to do so little time...

Pollyanna
3575th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Random Thread #21 - New Consoles Editio" , posted Sat 16 Nov 02:26:post reply

EDIT:
I picked up The WiiU Battery Pack which is fairly reasonably priced and also available in Europe. Why they don't have it in America is beyond me, but whatever! Regions don't rule me! You can't region lock love batteries, Nintendo. I would make a jab about how it's perfect for "extended WiiU play sessions" (as if such a thing exists), but the new SMB is coming out, so I would look like a fool.

quote:
Also, I want to make sure there is no funny business like that Vita TV surprise (it's impossible to use a non-Japanese account on Vita TV). My main account is Japanese so I want to make sure I can use it rightaway / not have it gimped (or blocked) because I first entered a European account.

This is actually one of the reasons I ordered a Vita TV. Switching accounts is annoying and the increasing prevelancy of DLC makes it a real frustration. Now, the Vita TV can be my "Japanese account machine." Although I question the necessity of a US Vita account in the coming months, the Vita TV will probably see more play anyway.

Of course, having everything on one account is ideal, but I already threw that out the window anyway and it's not worth paying import prices on DLC for games that release domestically.

quote:
I'll have both consoles at some point anyway so let's get started with the one that actually has a few identifiable exclusives. I am expecting to spend most of my time making fun of Killer Instinct and making excuses for Crimson Dragon.

This is sound logic and I have to admit that the XB1 launch lineup has a lot more games I'm at least interested in trying. I've flip-flopped on if I wanted to preorder one or not, but since I'm not exactly hurting for games and I'm not convinced that its lineup will continue to appeal to me, I'm going to practice patience for once in my life. I've found myself saying "Oh God, the last thing I need are more games!" lately, so maybe the PS4 is perfect for me.

quote:

I'm still not sold that I need to abandon our perfectly good current generation of consoles for something new.

Such a strong word and I'm not sure an appropriate one! Did your parents have a second child and say "Sorry Burning Ranger (your real name, I'm sure), we're throwing you to the curb!"

Then again, I don't have much room to talk, since I just got done talking about putting the 360 away to make room on the shelf for the PS4. No way in hell I'm putting the PS3 away, though.

I am undressed from 80’s style and recreated with modern sexy and beautiful style that amaze you and feel never been experienced world before.

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Sat 16 Nov 02:40]

Freeter
4609th Post

"Re(1):Random Thread #21 - New Consoles Editio" , posted Sat 16 Nov 03:32post reply

Going to snag the DS4 controller for my PC. Console can wait.

Thinking about getting a 3DS soon for Bravely Default and GS5.

karasu99
1247th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Random Thread #21 - New Consoles Editio" , posted Sat 16 Nov 04:39post reply

quote:
Then again, I don't have much room to talk, since I just got done talking about putting the 360 away to make room on the shelf for the PS4. No way in hell I'm putting the PS3 away, though.

It's funny but I just that exact same thing. I haven't even turned on my X360 in more than a year, so there's no reason to keep it around. I can set it up to play... well, something, I guess... if I even need to.

I knew that eventually I would end up with a PS4, so I just took the plunge. In all these years of new console frenzy, it's the first one I've actually had the sense (and the money) to preorder super early, ensuring I'll get one on launch day (I did camp out for the Wii though-- and decided I'll never do that again!). I use my PS3 for all kinds of TV and movie viewing, so it will be nice to have a new machine that's presumably faster to do all that, in addition to any games that might be interesting.

quote:
Injustice

I've been troubled by the lack of info on this version too. News sources that are gushing over PS4 games have hardly mentioned it, and the trailer they released doesn't much help. Is it prettier than the PS3 version? Who knows! All I know is that I held back on getting the PS3 version since the aesthetic seemed pretty off, but I figure it will be a nice distraction and something I can play for a few minutes here and there when taking a break from other games.

I can't remember the last time I thought a system's launch games were any good-- certainly the PS3's launch lineup had problems, if I recall correctly. Maybe... the Dreamcast?

www.secret-arts.com

Spoon
2510th Post

"Re(4):Random Thread #21 - New Consoles Editio" , posted Sat 16 Nov 05:11post reply

I think we kind of forget how few launch titles some old consoles had. The SNES launched with F-Zero and SMW! Now, the quality of those two titles was extremely high, but it was just two titles. The Saturn launched with like 5 games in the US, and even though 4 of those 5 I can remember as being good to great (DAYTOOOOOOOOOOOOOONA), it was still only 5 games.

I still think Excite Truck was an awesome launch (haha?) title for the Wii.

I also think that it seemed like many consoles had tons of games because getting the console at launch was simply not an option for me until the last few years, so I was never in a position to criticize the launch lineup.

Burning Ranger
1754th Post

"Re(5):Random Thread #21 - New Consoles Editio" , posted Sat 16 Nov 05:36post reply

quote:
I think we kind of forget how few launch titles some old consoles had. The SNES launched with F-Zero and SMW! Now, the quality of those two titles was extremely high, but it was just two titles. The Saturn launched with like 5 games in the US, and even though 4 of those 5 I can remember as being good to great (DAYTOOOOOOOOOOOOOONA), it was still only 5 games.

I also think that it seemed like many consoles had tons of games because getting the console at launch was simply not an option for me until the last few years, so I was never in a position to criticize the launch lineup.

But it's not about launch titles. Look at the evolution of consoles throughout history. The SNES was a big leap forward from the NES. The Dreamcast was a big step up from the existing consoles of the time (Playstation, N64) [Disclosure: the DC was the system I purchased at launch]. The PS2 was a big step up from the PS, and the PS3 was a leap forward from the PS2 in terms of capability and game quailty.

From my perspective, the PS4 doesn't offer much more than the PS3. Graphics don't look much better to me, and it's seems like more of the same when it comes to games. Honestly, what's really new? A touch pad, some social features??? There's nothing earth shattering here... And I feel the same about the Xbox One. Nothing new, nothing revolutionary is gained from both systems.

This new generation of consoles--to me--seems unwarranted and in my opinion, doesn't take any chances. It seems like just more of the same.

Now I realize that in time, there may be a game or something else that comes along that may make me change my mind. Until then, I'm simply not impressed with "the next generation..."

The only silver lining is that the last generation will still have some games worth playing (BB ChronoFantasma, Ultra SFIV, MGSV:GZ)... that is unless, the powers that be decide that the last generation doesn't matter anymore and force these games to be exclusive to next gen...

Ishmael
4762th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(5):Random Thread #21 - New Consoles Editio" , posted Sat 16 Nov 05:53post reply

True, it's great fun to watch a new console debut since it promises great things in the future even if its debut is a lot of hot air and IOU's. Thing is, launch titles usually look like they were built for the previous generation or are just plain awful. The PS2 launched in the US with FantaVision for crying out loud. At the moment I have no problem watching this new generation of consoles from the sidelines with a sense of detached interest. That will all change the second Dragon's Dogma 2 or some other title I want is announced in which case I will buy a new console immediately and then count the months until the game of my dreams comes out.

Gojira
2993th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(6):Random Thread #21 - New Consoles Editio" , posted Sat 16 Nov 07:26:post reply

quote:
From my perspective, the PS4 doesn't offer much more than the PS3. Graphics don't look much better to me, and it's seems like more of the same when it comes to games. Honestly, what's really new? A touch pad, some social features??? There's nothing earth shattering here... And I feel the same about the Xbox One. Nothing new, nothing revolutionary is gained from both systems.

We're just approaching that point where technology is going past human perception.

I think the HD generation of consoles got incredibly lucky when televisions changed. When you think about what upgrades to graphics are doing, you're really thinking in terms of microscopic scale now. In a decade that scale is going to be at the atomic level. Unfortunately we are (most of us) human; we only have mortal eyes. We can barely spot a single pixel of a 1080p display, and that is going to seriously hamper our ability to judge how much better a game can look before those "AAA" visual upgrades become something innocuous.

I've said it for years, I'll say it again: the next step in console evolution is going to be towards gimmicks, and it won't be pretty. This "new" generation will most likely be a generation that stays for a long, long time. Beyond that it'll be all stuff like, say, Oculus Rift.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sat 16 Nov 07:27]

chazumaru
1105th Post

"Re(7):Random Thread #21 - New Consoles Editio" , posted Sat 16 Nov 09:18post reply

quote:
can't remember the last time I thought a system's launch games were any good

I personally really enjoyed Zombi U and think New Super Mario Bros. U is the best in the series. Vita also had a decent line-up at launch, including a brand new Uncharted which was pretty good. Not that such efforts helped both consoles much...

In terms of pure objective success, having both Twilight Princess and Wii Sports at launch was an incredible combo for Wii.

Pollyanna
3576th Post

"Re(8):Random Thread #21 - New Consoles Editio" , posted Tue 19 Nov 03:15post reply

In the event that anyone knows this, I'll ask: Is it possible to transfer save files from one PSN account to another on Vita? Like, I want to transfer my Vita saves for Japanese games onto my memory card for my Japanese account that I'll be using with the Vita TV.
quote:

In terms of pure objective success, having both Twilight Princess and Wii Sports at launch was an incredible combo for Wii.

Twilight Princess was such a cheat, seeing as it was developed for their previous console, but having 60 hours of Zelda to play on day one was pretty compelling, even from a non-Zelda fan such as myself.

The PS4 launch, has a few big name games that were developed for other platforms. Having not launched in Japan yet, there was pretty much no way it was going to be an exciting launch for me, but it is valuable in that it gives players something meaty to play with, I guess.

I am undressed from 80’s style and recreated with modern sexy and beautiful style that amaze you and feel never been experienced world before.

Syo
169th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Random Thread #21 - New Consoles Editio" , posted Tue 19 Nov 11:33post reply

quote:
In the event that anyone knows this, I'll ask: Is it possible to transfer save files from one PSN account to another on Vita? Like, I want to transfer my Vita saves for Japanese games onto my memory card for my Japanese account that I'll be using with the Vita TV.

If you have PS+, then just upload all your normal Vita game saves to the cloud then download it using the Vita TV.

If not, then backup your Vita to PC then restore from PC to Vita TV.

Iggy
9682th Post

"Re(9):Random Thread #21 - New Consoles Editio" , posted Tue 19 Nov 20:41post reply

quote:

Do you mean transfer from your account Pollyanna to your account Pollyanno?
Or from a device to another device, but both with the same Pollyanna account?
Because I don't think the former is possible...

karasu99
1252th Post

"Re(9):Random Thread #21 - New Consoles Editio" , posted Wed 20 Nov 03:13post reply

quote:

The PS4 launch, has a few big name games that were developed for other platforms. Having not launched in Japan yet, there was pretty much no way it was going to be an exciting launch for me, but it is valuable in that it gives players something meaty to play with, I guess.

I can't claim to have been excited by the launch titles, but I was very much excited about the console itself, and after a weekend with it, I'm still pretty excited. I appreciate the ease with which you can post screenshots and video or steam from it, I like how fast and quiet it is, and I really love how it can handle so many discrete moving elements in games that are otherwise a little lackluster, like Knack and Resogun. I'm anxiously awaiting some better games though, which I know are coming.

The drawback of getting a launch console these days though is that you encounter those little hiccups (in my case, the console freezing while in the Amazon Video app, the internet connection disappearing suddenly, and not coming back until reboot, and the sound dropping out entirely, again only coming back on full shutdown and startup). I think if anything this has only gotten worse since the PS3's launch, since the system was damn well going to ship on 11/15, whether bugs were resolved on not-- they can just patch it all after the fact, right? I'm not complaining, just observing how things seem to be going.

Oh, and Polly: I think there's very little difference between the PS3 and PS4 versions of Injustice. I'm sure the graphics are a little bit better but not in any appreciable way.

www.secret-arts.com

Pollyanna
3577th Post

"Re(10):Random Thread #21 - New Consoles Editi" , posted Wed 20 Nov 03:52post reply

My PS4 got lost in the mail! Also, Amazon delayed my Mario 3D World shipment by a week. I guess that means they sold out, which is a good sign.
quote:

If you have PS+, then just upload all your normal Vita game saves to the cloud then download it using the Vita TV.

If not, then backup your Vita to PC then restore from PC to Vita TV.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work, because as Iggy was saying, I was trying to transfer Pollyanna to "Pollyanno." Thank you anyway, though.

I read that in the past you could transfer save files (it would lock you out of trophies), just not anything else, but they changed the way switching accounts on Vita works. I'd transferred saves to other PS3s in the past and PS+ advertises this feature, so my plan was to upload my Vita saves to the cloud, DL them on my PS3, then put them onto the Vita, but it blocks you at every possible point in that venture. Oh well, this is only as big of an inconvenience as I allow it to be.
quote:
The drawback of getting a launch console these days though is that you encounter those little hiccups (in my case, the console freezing while in the Amazon Video app, the internet connection disappearing suddenly, and not coming back until reboot, and the sound dropping out entirely, again only coming back on full shutdown and startup).

These are real problems! Still, as it seems that they'll be patching in a significant number of advertised system features later, it's probably safe to bet that short of problems like overheating, everything will be fixed.

Toxico
5868th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(10):Random Thread #21 - New Consoles Editi" , posted Wed 20 Nov 03:58post reply

quote:

The drawback of getting a launch console these days though is that you encounter those little hiccups (in my case, the console freezing while in the Amazon Video app, the internet connection disappearing suddenly, and not coming back until reboot, and the sound dropping out entirely, again only coming back on full shutdown and startup). I think if anything this has only gotten worse since the PS3's launch, since the system was damn well going to ship on 11/15, whether bugs were resolved on not-- they can just patch it all after the fact, right?

History has shown us that a lot of stuff with Sony early product line consoles are hardware based. History has also taught me that the best time to buy a console is when the first model is in it's last production run; but that's just personal experience talking.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

Grave
1491th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: eccothedolphin

"Re(2):Random Thread #21 - New Consoles Editio" , posted Wed 20 Nov 11:17post reply

quote:
Going to snag the DS4 controller for my PC. Console can wait.

I did this and I highly recommend it. Can't believe I'm saying this but: Sony totally nailed it. DS2 and DS3 were fine because I was used to the shape but every change they've made here is meaningful. Well, I can't judge the touchpad but I don't really care. Better triggers, better d-pad, better sticks, better grip. Worked instantly over USB with Win8.1 and once I paired it via bluetooth it worked perfectly wirelessly as well. Just a heads-up: doesn't include a micro USB cable, so snag one if you need an extra.
quote:
I've been troubled by the lack of info on this version too. News sources that are gushing over PS4 games have hardly mentioned it, and the trailer they released doesn't much help. Is it prettier than the PS3 version? Who knows! All I know is that I held back on getting the PS3 version since the aesthetic seemed pretty off, but I figure it will be a nice distraction and something I can play for a few minutes here and there when taking a break from other games.

Ha ha! I was wondering this too. And having played the PS4 version only after playing the PS3 demo: I have no idea! I asked the guy who I was playing it with, who happens to run my local game shop... and he had no idea either!

Still, uh, it was pretty fun. I think I might like to play more of it?
quote:

Best game on the system. Still. God that game rules with the proper custom soundtrack.

Maese
717th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Random Thread #21 - New Consoles" , posted Wed 20 Nov 11:39post reply

quote:

History has also taught me that the best time to buy a console is when the first model is in it's last production run; but that's just personal experience talking.

Pretty much this.

Granted, my main gripe is that I still see no next-gen games that can sell me the system. I'm sure they'll eventually pop up, but as of today, there isn't any compelling reason to pick up a PS4, let alone an XBone. But the thing is, rather than picking up a console on launch day and having to deal with a lot potential issues (lack of games, annoying bugs, design flaws... you name it), I personally prefer waiting for a while just to be on the safe side. This way you are gonna get a (possibly) better product for less money, and with better games to play with. I don't mean to criticize early adopters, though. You prefer having a new machine early on, more power to you. I still have PSX games from circa 1997 on my "to play" list, so what do I know.

And now, in totally unrelated news, Ueda talks about Last Guardian and basically doesn't say anything at all.

chazumaru
1109th Post

"New consoles, new problems" , posted Wed 20 Nov 20:52post reply

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-one-hardware-test

It takes more than a minute for Xbox One to boot up from power on (18 seconds from standby). It takes 20 minutes to finish the mandatory disc installation of any game. This generation will teach us about patience.

At least the console is silent. By comparison, the PS4 screams at a whopping 747ontherunwayish 78 decibels when running games. The fan alone would probably wake up my flatmate even without the TV sound and my emotional responses to Nathan Drake's bullshit approach to shooting bullet-sponge pirates.

Baines
395th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):New consoles, new problems" , posted Thu 21 Nov 00:27post reply

quote:
At least the console is silent. By comparison, the PS4 screams at a whopping 747ontherunwayish 78 decibels when running games. The fan alone would probably wake up my flatmate even without the TV sound and my emotional responses to Nathan Drake's bullshit approach to shooting bullet-sponge pirates.

Hrm. One of the issues with the Xbox 360 was that the fan wasn't strong enough. (Allegedly, Microsoft decided to cut the fan power in order to lower the noise levels.)

But that does sound bad for the PS4.

Spoon
2511th Post

"Re(2):New consoles, new problems" , posted Thu 21 Nov 00:57post reply

quote:

But that does sound bad for the PS4.

*rimshot*

karasu99
1253th Post

"Re(1):New consoles, new problems" , posted Thu 21 Nov 02:43post reply

quote:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-one-hardware-test

It takes more than a minute for Xbox One to boot up from power on (18 seconds from standby). It takes 20 minutes to finish the mandatory disc installation of any game. This generation will teach us about patience.

Wow, I hadn't even noticed the fan in my PS4. At the very least it's quiet compared to the PS3. I'm happy for the noisy fan though if it prevents overheating, especially given that the power supply is internal now.

Something I've been interested to see about these launches is the what availability of consoles is in the weeks and months following their release. Given that the PS2 and PS3 were both really hard to come by (short of online scalpers) for months after they came out, I half expected the PS4 to follow suit. It looks like Sony at least expects to be able to meet demand up to the holidays. I always suspected (with absolutely no evidence) that the scarcity of the 2 and 3 were a delicately balanced play at drumming up excitement over the newness and coolness of the consoles, so it's refreshing to see that even the eBay scalpers are ONLY charging around $100-$200 more than list price, on average (although awwww, it brings back such nostalgia to see the random listings in excess of $10,000 just in case someone doesn't notice that they can buy it for $500).

www.secret-arts.com

chazumaru
1110th Post

"Re(2):New consoles, new problems" , posted Thu 21 Nov 05:20post reply

Speedball 2's eternally unresolved comeback takes the form of a PC game this time. I am not sure that will work either... Speedball 2 should just accepts its fate and date Lindsay Lohan. They must be the only ones who understand what each other is going through.

Ishmael
4765th Post

"Re(3):New consoles, new problems" , posted Thu 21 Nov 07:49post reply

Conception 2 is making it out of Japan. I'm not sure what is more perplexing, that this game is being translated or that Conception is a franchise. No, actually the most perplexing thing is trying to figure out what the hell that upside down horse head thing is that's part of the party. I thought the game's high concept was that you go dungeon crawling with magic babies you created by dating women. If that's still the case what does the mother look like who made that?

karasu99
1255th Post

"Re(4):New consoles, new problems" , posted Thu 21 Nov 08:04post reply

quote:
Conception 2. I thought the game's high concept was that you go dungeon crawling with magic babies you created by dating women.

You seriously just made the game sound much more interesting than Atlus ever has.

Yeah, I'm not really sure who the audience is for this outside of Japan. But then again they've managed to sell pretty much ever other unsellable thing that I felt the same way about. Remember the days when Japanese game art used to get redone to make it more palatable to the west?

Oh, and no clue about the upside-down horse head, sorry.

www.secret-arts.com

chazumaru
1111th Post

"Re(5):New consoles, new problems" , posted Thu 21 Nov 09:22post reply

FIRE PEACH HAS A PONYTAIL

Maou
2560th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh

"Re(5):New consoles, new problems" , posted Thu 21 Nov 10:53post reply

quote:
Yeah, I'm not really sure who the audience is for this outside of Japan. But then again they've managed to sell pretty much ever other unsellable thing that I felt the same way about.

The strangest exception to this has been their apparent desire to deny that Growlanser ever existed outside of Japan. Here was a series that earlier Atlus USA was too wary of translating, let Working Designs do a(apparently stellar) job with II and III, after which Atlus made an (apparently poor) effort on the series which didn't pan out and has sealed away PSN re-releases of II and III ever since---at least to hear Victor Ireland tell it, and I suspect he's right. Americans live in a strange world where they can play Conception and Catherine but not Growlanser.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Pollyanna
3579th Post

"Re(6):New consoles, new problems" , posted Thu 21 Nov 18:58post reply

Got my Vita TV in and signed up for the Japanese PSN's free 15 day PS+ Trial. This is worth checking out without a Vita TV of course, but it gave me a good opportunity to test the system on a bunch of different titles.

Anyway, the Japanese PSN has a RICH RICH selection of PS1 games, if you didn't know and PS+ gives you access to an obscene number of them. If you'd like to take a trip down memory lane or try out some titles you may have missed, this is the time! It took me quite a while just to get through the list.

As for the Vita TV itself, although the lack of touch controls makes some Vita games bothersome to play, it's a great way to play PSP games (full screen!) and PS1 classics. I was a bit afraid that the upscaling would look bad, but I was pleasantly surprised. Anyway, the system does everything promised conveniently and well, especially considering the extremely low price. For the right consumer, I think it's a good buy.

badoor
349th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK/PSVITA:BadoorUSA
XBL: BadoorSNK/WiiU:BadoorSNK
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):New consoles, new problems" , posted Thu 21 Nov 21:20post reply

quote:
Next-gen

I do share the feeling that the jump from PS3/360 to PS4/XB1 is not as significant as any other previous generation. But it seems that this somewhat helped in creating lots of games to play on these systems at launch & near after. Developers have been already making "PS4 & XB1" spec games for a couple of years now on PC, which is why there're so many "dual-gen" games coming for them on both systems, more so than ever. And the fact that they are easy-to-develop PCs mean that this should reduce the burden on small to mid-tier size studios (mid-tier being that gaping hole right now that was used to be occupied by Cavia or Game Republic and a host of other Japanese studios who essentially abandoned console development to focus solely on portables).

And as much as I respect Mark Cerny for being the "Forrest Gump of video games" I do understand that he works for Sony and that he did make the PS4. But even so, his speech on the PS4's "time-to-triangle" concept being shorter than PS2 & PS3 and closer to PS1 has honestly been THE most meaningful & exciting marketing spiel about the PS4 to me, more so than share buttons or particle effects or touch pads or video streaming.

quote:
Conception II

While I'm not interested in Conception itself, I am glad that Atlus is still doing the things it always does unaffected by the SEGA purchase.

quote:
Dual Shock 4

It is as good as you heard. I tried it on PS3 and it worked great. I even applied the most rigorous of all controller tests and it passed with flying colors. Shame about it not working wirelessly on PS3. Would love to have that.

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/

Ishmael
4766th Post

"Re(8):New consoles, new problems" , posted Fri 22 Nov 01:05post reply

Much like D&D, the latest Strider game is getting a fancy edition in Japan. I wonder if the versions of Strider 1 and 2 will be straight from the PSX or if there will be any corrections made? Then again, if glitches stay in a game long enough they become considered part of the game so who knows.

quote:
It is as good as you heard. I tried it on PS3 and it worked great. I even applied the most rigorous of all controller tests and it passed with flying colors. Shame about it not working wirelessly on PS3. Would love to have that.

I don't know when I will upgrade to a new system but I now want to upgrade to a next-gen controller.

chazumaru
1115th Post

"Re(9):New consoles, new problems" , posted Fri 22 Nov 03:08:post reply

I am not sure if it was proper information or ill-formulated speculation but I read online it's the PS Archives versions of Strider 1&2 that will be included. [edit] It's confirmed on the official website. Only for PS3.

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Fri 22 Nov 03:10]

Burning Ranger
1756th Post

"Re(10):New consoles, new problems" , posted Fri 22 Nov 03:32post reply

quote:

Dual Shock 4

GREAT SUCCESS!

Mosquiton
1950th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(9):New consoles, new problems" , posted Fri 22 Nov 07:22post reply

quote:
Much like D&D, the latest Strider game is getting a fancy edition in Japan. I wonder if the versions of Strider 1 and 2 will be straight from the PSX or if there will be any corrections made? Then again, if glitches stay in a game long enough they become considered part of the game so who knows.

I don't know when I will upgrade to a new system but I now want to upgrade to a next-gen controller.

Huh, I think Strider is actually looking pretty good. Double Helix may be able to improve their reputation if they put together a couple of different games... even if Killer Instinct is starting out as a kind of work-in-progress.

/ / /

Professor
3934th Post

MMCafe Owner

"PSN partially hacked?" , posted Fri 22 Nov 18:01post reply

It looks like a chunk of users are reporting that their password was reset by Sony. SCE is saying it's just for precautionary measures, but there's been reports coming around from worldwide. Have they been partially hacked? At times like these, the ill-transparency of Japanese companies kicks in pretty well.

chazumaru
1116th Post

"Re(1):PSN hacked? / FF13-3LR ending" , posted Fri 22 Nov 20:09:post reply

DR3, Forza, NBA dispatched
Xbox One not yet dispatched

My office neighbour also had his PSN changed out of the blue. He was quite pissed that they never informed him.

Hoooooly crap at that Lightning Returns ending (spoilers obviously):
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17hnmu_lightning-returns-ffxiii-cinematic-4_videogames?start=0

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Videogames in 2013: everything was set in France. I hope for her she becomes the best Pokémon master.

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Fri 22 Nov 21:23]

Ishmael
4768th Post

"Re(2):PSN hacked? / FF13-3LR ending" , posted Sat 23 Nov 02:19post reply

quote:
Hoooooly crap at that Lightning Returns ending (spoilers obviously):
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17hnmu_lightning-returns-ffxiii-cinematic-4_videogames?start=0

This makes no sense to me but I haven't been playing the XIII series. What concerns me is that I'm not certain this would make sense even if I had been playing the XIII series.

Freeter
4611th Post

"Re(3):PSN hacked? / FF13-3LR ending" , posted Sat 23 Nov 04:25post reply

I'm surprised they basically copypasta'd the lifestream from FF7's ending. Why isn't that game getting a remake again, SE?

Maou
2561th Post

"Re(4):PSN hacked? / FF13-3LR ending" , posted Sat 23 Nov 05:35post reply

quote:
I'm surprised they basically copypasta'd the lifestream from FF7's ending. Why isn't that game getting a remake again, SE?

...because people would realize that it just doesn't have the legs to stand on outside of some bizarre nostaglia? Heyooooo! Just kidding, I love you, Freeter. But I do not love VII.

The real reason is that people will probably keep buying Final Fantasy games made by people who had nothing to do with the core of Final Fantasy if they think it will one day provide the funding and support for a remake, probably. Then everyone can just go home and play Mistwalker games instead, hopefully.

karasu99
1256th Post

"Re(5):PSN hacked? / FF13-3LR ending" , posted Sat 23 Nov 14:06post reply

quote:
But I do not love VII.

Maou, as always you say the things I don't have the guts to say. Sorry VII fans, it's the game that made me begin to dislike the series.

So, I've been holding out on getting Shin Sangoku Musou 7 until its inevitable US release for PS4. But in the meantime, those fortunate folks in Japan can regain precious health in real life with a Spicy Mabo Tofu Nikuman at Lawson! I can see it being either amazing or terrible, but nowhere in between. Professor, Maese, anybody, we need to know, can you investigate?

www.secret-arts.com

Pollyanna
3580th Post

"Re(6):PSN hacked? / FF13-3LR ending" , posted Sat 23 Nov 15:41post reply

Mario 3D World is as fun as it looks. A monumental accomplishment.

Did anyone here try Mario and Luigi: Dream Team? It's adorable, with fantastic sprite work. Really lovely...kind of reminds me of Xenogears (in appearance). The use of 3D is great as is the (Yoko Shimomura) soundtrack. It's chopped up into delightful little chunks that are engaging, though not terribly challenging. Although it rarely fails to charm, it feels a bit unexciting. Games can be charming and boring, right? I thought Okami was like that...
quote:

So, I've been holding out on getting Shin Sangoku Musou 7 until its inevitable US release for PS4.

Yeahhhhh, when they announced this I was like "Well, poop. Not playing this on PS3 anymore." I like thegame enough to buy it twice, but not enough to waste my time unlocking every little thing twice.

chazumaru
1117th Post

"3DWoooooooow" , posted Sat 23 Nov 21:28:post reply

quote:

I just completed World 4. Who do you maiiiiin?

I was planning to go all Kinopio/Toad because of the speed, but I am a bit weirded out by the feeling of the character (and I think the lack of octogonal grid around the sticks bother me for the first time). Even Mario feels slightly off, probably because my brain is still wired with Galaxy's physics (they also changed some timings like the Z-long jump and made the charged jump similar to Mario 2/USA). Luigi is by far my favorite character in terms of controls. Peach is by far my favorite character in terms of costumes! Ponytails! Pixie cut! Fat ass raccoon in boots! She is perfect and I never really cared for Peach before this game.

The [Super Mario Kart] level was amazing. I am a bit disappointed they spoiled it in the last trailer because my brain would have exploded. And Miiverse integration in this game is top notch.

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Sat 23 Nov 21:29]

karasu99
1257th Post

"Re(7):PSN hacked? / FF13-3LR ending" , posted Sun 24 Nov 00:51post reply

quote:

After the mediocrity of NSMBU, I was really waiting for this, and I haven't been disappointed. The first Ghost House is perfect! It's exactly how a Ghost House should be, from the asshole ghosts to the mirrors to the music. And that's just the start! I played so long last night that my gamepad ran out of battery. Twice. It's an absolute stroke of genius.
quote:

Did anyone here try Mario and Luigi: Dream Team? It's adorable, with fantastic sprite work. Really lovely...kind of reminds me of Xenogears (in appearance). The use of 3D is great as is the (Yoko Shimomura) soundtrack. It's chopped up into delightful little chunks that are engaging, though not terribly challenging. Although it rarely fails to charm, it feels a bit unexciting. Games can be charming and boring, right? I thought Okami was like that...

I've been debating whether or not to mention this game, but in short I bought it on a whim (on sale) after being unexpectedly charmed by the demo. It's charming, the writing is excellent, the creativity is remarkable, and somehow everything just ends up perfect. I'm not usually an RPG guy so this was all a bit of a surprise, and it just keeps on surprising me at how good it is. Has anyone played the rest of the series? Once I'm done with it and Zelda I'm considering trying Bowser's Inside Story if it's any good.

Oh also-- I think it feels boring because it's rarely a challenge. I mean none of it. I had trouble with one boss until I figured out the trick. That's it. But... but... but... it's got the viruses from Dr Mario as enemies! How can it not be great?
quote:

Yeahhhhh, when they announced this I was like "Well, poop. Not playing this on PS3 anymore." I like thegame enough to buy it twice, but not enough to waste my time unlocking every little thing twice.

My feelings exactly. I hemmed and hawed over buying it for PS3 and then didn't since I had so recently played 6, but at this point I suspect I'll just wait.

www.secret-arts.com

Pollyanna
3582th Post

"Re(1):3DWoooooooow" , posted Sun 24 Nov 04:31:post reply

quote:

I just completed World 4. Who do you maiiiiin?

Luigi all the way. He's my favorite character and I thought when I played with friends, it would be a disaster if anyone else tried to use him. He also provides a convenient excuse for failure. You can yell "Damn it, Luigi!" and everyone will understand. And yet, so many times I've found myself thinking "how would I have done that if I wasn't using Luigi!?"

Peach is indeed too adorable and it's great to see her with so many different animations (spinning, handstands) and costumes for once. I like her Tanuki outfit the best. Giant poofy tanuki bloomers! Too cute! I assume you get the other character (I won't spoil it in case some people haven't seen the trailer) after finishing the game? Hopefully not after getting all the stars, as that wouldn't leave me much to do with them. I really love being able to use different characters, though, specially since I sort of dislike Mario.

I have this deep reluctance to say that the game is better than Galaxy 2, but it's not like I'm forced to pick favorites, I suppose.

This is probably a silly thing to say, but if they made a Super Wario Land download that was like NSLU and added a Wario/Waluigi Peach and Toad equivalent, I would buy it yesterday for $200.

quote:
The first Ghost House is perfect! It's exactly how a Ghost House should be, from the asshole ghosts to the mirrors to the music.

Yeah, I loooooved the music in the Ghost House. The first boss level theme as well as the Bowser car theme are great, too. I'm not personally fond of a lot of the songs, but the soundtrack as a whole is wonderfully done, whether it tickles my fancy in particular or not.
quote:
Dream Team

I forgot to mention, Mario is actually cute in this game to me. Normally I find him totally gross and weird.

EDIT
quote:
After the mediocrity of NSMBU, I was really waiting for this, and I haven't been disappointed.

I was debating if I wanted to trash talk NSMB, but you've given me a great opportunity here. I find it impossible to enjoy NSMB single player, whereas 3DW would be great even without multiplayer. People still seem to like NSMB for some reason, but I feel like the next game has really got to step it up after this. I want to say "NSMB can go to hell," but I guess I'd be happier if it just got better, since I'm likely to buy the games to play with friends anyway.

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Sun 24 Nov 04:52]

karasu99
1258th Post

"Re(2):3DWoooooooow" , posted Sun 24 Nov 06:06post reply

quote:
Yeah, I loooooved the music in the Ghost House. The first boss level theme as well as the Bowser car theme are great, too. I'm not personally fond of a lot of the songs, but the soundtrack as a whole is wonderfully done, whether it tickles my fancy in particular or not.

I'm rarely thrilled with music in games, but this OST I might actually buy. And as for the Ghost House, I honestly think my opinion of a Mario game is directly correlated with how well they handle Ghost Houses.
quote:

I forgot to mention, Mario is actually cute in this game to me. Normally I find him totally gross and weird.

Hahaha, yes I often wonder if someone could get away with making a game that has a Mario-ish character who's literally portrayed as this gross weirdo. I never get how anyone could find him cute or compelling. Wario is more compelling than Mario is, somehow. (also, regarding New Super Wario Bros, I was kind of hoping that the secret character would be Wario instead of you-know-who. But after New Super Luigi Bros I wouldn't be surprised if he's added in an expansion)

quote:
I was debating if I wanted to trash talk NSMB, but you've given me a great opportunity here. I find it impossible to enjoy NSMB single player, whereas 3DW would be great even without multiplayer. People still seem to like NSMB for some reason, but I feel like the next game has really got to step it up after this. I want to say "NSMB can go to hell," but I guess I'd be happier if it just got better, since I'm likely to buy the games to play with friends anyway.

It's not that I hate NSMB-- I played it to death and I think it was a nicely done game. It's just that a Mario game has to wow me these days. It's not good enough to be simply adequate, which is what NSMBU is. And no amount of "OMGLOLWTF RACCOON SUIT" (or whatever) is enough to make it better. Galaxy 1 and 2 were phenomenal, so I had high hopes for 3d World, and... just wow. It's like they saved up all the innovation and playfulness for 3d World. And the cat suit does exactly what a new suit should do in one of these games-- provide new ways to approach the game, not just a new skin on a suit that lets you hover or fly, but a whole new move set.

Anybody else get the new Zelda? I did, but I can't play it till I finish Dream Team.

www.secret-arts.com

chazumaru
1117th Post

"Re(2):3DWoooooooow" , posted Sun 24 Nov 11:41post reply

I spent the entire day playing SM3DW and nothing else. What a great day! I am pretty much near the end, post-credits, post-"unlock", around 9 or 10 levels to go unless there is a huge surprise at the end (something like Grand Master Galaxy). Really good episode. Not as mind-blowing as Galaxy 1 & 2 in their days, but perfect balance between what 3D Land tries to achieve to open the 3D Mario series to a larger audience, while featuring so many unique moments.

My favorite aspect of the game is the incredible number of new environments and monsters. We might not have seen that many new faces and settings since Super Mario Land. I am just disappointed that Mouser isn't back, for a game in which you spend a lot of time as a cat (they even added new mouse enemies) and in which they added so many SMB2/USA references.

My favourite levels are the "Karakuri-jō" (ninja castle) and the rabbit-hunting savannah (it felt amazing to chase after them!) but there are so many awesome "conceptual" levels! It feels like the eclecticism of Little Big Planet but with all levels done by super-talented people.

quote:
After the mediocrity of NSMBU

Qué ? I think it's by far the best in the series. It's the 3DS episode which didn't really feel necessary to me.

quote:
I assume you get the other character (I won't spoil it in case some people haven't seen the trailer) after finishing the game? Hopefully not after getting all the stars

You get that character after completing the first level of the World unlocked directly after the "ending".

chazumaru
1119th Post

"Four new Persona games announced" , posted Sun 24 Nov 21:29:post reply

Atlus hopes you really like Persona and you don't care for Next Gen consoles.

Persona 4U Ultimax (the fighting game update) coming on PS3 in the Summer.
Persona 5 on PS3 coming at the end of 2014.
An idolmaster-type Persona 4 game coming to Vita.
A dungeon crawler Persona "all star" game coming to 3DS.

Now that's shameless typecasting.

Where's my Persona illegal street racing game in which I can have demons fused with my Nissan Skyline on Xbox One!? Bah! Useless!

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Sun 24 Nov 21:33]

Maese
718th Post

"Re(5):PSN hacked? / FF13-3LR ending" , posted Mon 25 Nov 10:40post reply

quote:
...because people would realize that it just doesn't have the legs to stand on outside of some bizarre nostaglia?

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions RPGs... But enough talk! Have at you!

No, seriously, as much as I love FFVII, actually you have a point there. I played VII in its day and it absolutely blasted my mind, but probably because it was my first (maybe second?) RPG. Some years later I played VI and then I saw the light.

I do think, however, that VII really deserves some sort of remake, homage or whatever, if only to do some justice to the game that made Japanese RPGs "big" on the western world. I mean, VII has aged really bad. You can still play the SNES original ones without much trouble, and I'd say VIII and IX can hold their own pretty well even to this day. But VII looks plain hideous, the designs look terribly weird and, worst of all, every western language version is such a mess that there is no friggin' way to get what the hell is going on with the story. Maybe the original Japanese is not much better, for all I know. So, if any game on the series is in any need of a remake, that's VII for sure.

quote:
Musou nikuman

Woah, thanks for pointing this out, Karasu! Don't worry, I will happily oblige and write an extensive report on this!

And regarding Bowser's Inside Story, well... I have not played it myself, since I prefer my Marios to stick to platforming and nothing else. But for what I've heard from people that have had an extensive contact wit the game, it's petty much on the same alley as Dream Team. So probably it will be worth giving it a try if you happen to find it out on the discount bin of your local game store!

Professor
3938th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Four new Persona games announced" , posted Mon 25 Nov 18:59post reply

quote:
Atlus hopes you really like Persona and you don't care for Next Gen consoles.

Persona 4U Ultimax (the fighting game update) coming on PS3 in the Summer.
Persona 5 on PS3 coming at the end of 2014.
An idolmaster-type Persona 4 game coming to Vita.
A dungeon crawler Persona "all star" game coming to 3DS.

Now that's shameless typecasting.

Where's my Persona illegal street racing game in which I can have demons fused with my Nissan Skyline on Xbox One!? Bah! Useless!

P4Ultimax should be hitting the arcades in Japan in 3 days so I'm very looking forward to it. Arcsys pretty much owns the arcades nowadays and things got very empty after console BBCP came out. They planned this release on-schedule.

Persona 5 on PS3 is.. not too surprising, but seriously feels laid back.

http://p-atlus.jp/p4d/

Kuma doing the Travolta is something I've never imagined of seeing.

badoor
351th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):PSN hacked? / FF13-3LR ending" , posted Mon 25 Nov 19:08post reply

quote:
Mario & Luigi RPG
That series is a favorite of mine and I have played every entry besides Dream Team & beaten the 1st & 3rd game. I really love Superstar Saga on GBA. The DS one with Baby Mario & Luigi was not as great but still good. Bowser's Inside Story is excellent & might be the best entry. It nails the "string of set-pieces" RPG design, where every few minutes there's an exciting battle or cut-scene or new place to explore. It reminded me of how Chrono Trigger was paced (which I only played a year before on DS). And the sprite-work & writing is fantastic. The Mario & Luigi games are my favorite representation of all the Mario characters.
quote:
Persona stuff
I've yet to play any Persona but I think I'm most excited for PersonaQ, the Persona+Sekaiju no Meikyuu crossover simply because it's a new Etrian Odyssey game. Funny how Atlus had to overtly use the Etrian Odyssey name to work Persona as a 1st person dungeon crawler, when the 1st Persona was already that.

Anyhow, I'm intrigued to see whether the EO4 team will try to integrate Persona mechanics into Etrian Odyssey, or if it'll basically just be EO with P4/3 character models substituting my current team of Metal Slug characters. Also, I'm hoping Yuzo Koshiro might make FM-synth remixes of Persona music.

Persona Arena 2 looks fun. I spent a lot of time with Persona Arena last summer, more so than any other recent ASW game. So I'll be getting this too. Lets hope they won't region-lock it again. I'll try Persona 5 after I get to play P4 Golden which might be a while. Don't care about Persona 4 Disco All Night.
quote:
Super Mario 3D World
Is fantastic. The Cat Suit is such a bigger deal with a bigger affect on how you play the game than 3D Land's "Tanuki Suit sans the best part of the Tanuki Suit which is flying & the weird statue move". I love all the short-cuts and secret areas that you can access with the Cat Suit. 3D Land's Tanuki Suit might have made platforming easier. But it never allowed you to access new areas. I never thought "If I had a Tanuki Suit I can reach this place" (sort of like a mini-Metroidvania moment).

I main Luigi and Peach. Luigi's green-spotted cat suit actually makes it look like the frog suit from SMB3. And Peach's floating ability is pretty effective. Though to be honest, I'm much more enamored by all the new dresses she gets (Fire Flower Peach with a ponytail is just so goddarn pretty ). Now I'm curious to unlock REDACTED and see how REDACTED looks in various suits.

chazumaru
1119th Post

"Re(7):PSN hacked? / FF13-3LR ending" , posted Mon 25 Nov 20:09post reply

This weekend I learned: don't think it's the end until the 3D World flat out tells you it's the end. The last two challenges are amazing and even harder than Grandmaster Galaxy. I am still not done with one of them.

Also, it seems getting the last [five stamps requires you to finish all levels with all characters.] This might be the first 100+hours completion Mario game.

quote:
Anyhow, I'm intrigued to see whether the EO4 team will try to integrate Persona mechanics into Etrian Odyssey, or if it'll basically just be EO with P4/3 character models substituting my current team of Metal Slug characters

I think they already confirmed there will be school events. At least, that's what I read. I am having such a blast with Soul Hackers that I'll take any excuse for a new dungon crawler on 3DS.

karasu99
1259th Post

"Re(3):3DWoooooooow" , posted Wed 27 Nov 03:13post reply

So I know there are games industry folks prowling around here at the Cafe, but I was curious if anyone is attending GDC 2014 in March. I'm considering it even more this year now that Yu Suzuki will be giving a postmortem of Shenmue. That may also help folks here consider going I suspect! Maybe a SF Cafe meet up ver. 2014 is in the cards? For anyone attending GDC we can all go sit starry eyed and be dazzled by the radiance of the Great Man himself.

quote:

Qué ? I think it's by far the best in the series. It's the 3DS episode which didn't really feel necessary to me.

I may have been hasty in calling NSMBU medicare, but here is how I'll describe it: Mario games have been so good in the past (SMW, Mario 64, Galaxy 2, and now 3d World) that I feel like they have a ridiculously high bar to clear. NSMBU is by no means bad-- in fact as a platformed it's great. But as a Mario game, it bring little of the amazement and wonder that can be found in 3d World, an astounding game that I still can't put down.

www.secret-arts.com

Pollyanna
3584th Post

"Re(4):3DWoooooooow" , posted Thu 28 Nov 04:23:post reply

A Lightning Returns demo is out on the Japanese PSN for those curious. (I still recommend getting in on the free PS+ trial while you're there!)

I've been disdainful to the point of being grossed out by most of what I've seen from the game, but I can't deny that I enjoyed the battle system. With Square providing a dual-language option on the English version, I might be persuaded to pick it up when it comes out in America. It's not like I can really be disappointed at this point, right?
quote:
I may have been hasty in calling NSMBU medicare, but here is how I'll describe it: Mario games have been so good in the past (SMW, Mario 64, Galaxy 2, and now 3d World) that I feel like they have a ridiculously high bar to clear.

Yes. I agree with Chaz that it's the best in the series, but it's a series that fails to live up to my expectations of the (non sports/party) Mario franchise. The fantastic sales of the DS version always upset me, because I think "Is this what people want from Mario? This is what they think is best?" I mean...I know the platform and timing are why it was so successful, but still, I worry.

EDIT: Actually, apples to apples, on the same consoles, looking at the success of the comparatively bland NSMB games vs the (in my opinion) outstanding 3D Mario games, my answer is tragically clear.

quote:
Persona stuff

-I don't need a Persona dancing game, but the promise of dancing Kanji might convince me otherwise.
-Speaking of Kanji, I didn't realize the repercussions of having shadow characters in Arena until I heard Shadow Kanji's voice. I wonder if he'll be popular.
-If they're going to put the P3 characters in high school uniforms along with the P4 ones in PQ, they can at least add some SMT characters or Persona 1/2 ones.
-Because it's called "Etrian Odyssey" over here, people don't seem to realize how closely related PQ is to the series.
-Persona 5 has broken Atlus' excellent record of not announcing a game a million years before it comes out

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Thu 28 Nov 08:52]

Gojira
2999th Post

"Streaming for Dummies" , posted Thu 28 Nov 05:40:post reply

Hey guys we're going to next generation

Everyone's having a great time out here in the next generation

quote:
(I still recommend getting in on the free PS+ trial while you're there!)

I like the free PS+ thing because I can download them from the JP store and play them on my US PS+ account. I wonder if they will still work when the trial period expires? I'm enjoying playing old JP PS1 games I missed out on, especially Gunner's Heaven. Not enough Contra/Metal Slug clones in the world these days.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Thu 28 Nov 05:49]

nobinobita
1229th Post

"Re(1):Streaming for Dummies" , posted Thu 28 Nov 07:44:post reply

quote:
I'm enjoying playing old JP PS1 games I missed out on, especially Gunner's Heaven. Not enough Contra/Metal Slug clones in the world these days.

Have you tried Mercenary Kings?

http://mercenarykings.com/

Great, charming graphics. Not so great level designs though. And also suffers from the plague of modern games: everything is a bullet sponge. But still worth taking a quick look at if you got time.

Not enough good Contra/Metal Slug clones these days, even in the indie world.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 28 Nov 07:44]

Maese
724th Post

"Re(5):3DWoooooooow" , posted Thu 28 Nov 18:54post reply

quote:
random SM3DW love

Reading you guys I am having a hard time restraining my urges of running to the nearest game store, picking up a WiiU and shutting myself in the house with a copy of 3DWorld until X'mas season is over. Japanese commercials with Ueto Aya are not making things any easier. Hopefully my rational self will prevail and I'll remember that the last thing I need on my life right now is another console collecting dust on the living room. Hopefully.

However, it is sad to note that, despite of all that platforming greatness, SM3DW is scoring the poorest sales figures for a Mario game in the last years. Mankind is doomed for sure.

Pollyanna
3585th Post

"Re(6):3DWoooooooow" , posted Fri 29 Nov 08:23post reply

quote:
I'm enjoying playing old JP PS1 games I missed out on, especially Gunner's Heaven. Not enough Contra/Metal Slug clones in the world these days.

UGH. That game was so harrdddd! Ah, but the memories! It was my 2nd PS1 game, after Toshinden and before Tekken. I got an import PS1 when it launched because my dad got a nice bonus that year and I got to be spoiled rotten. I remember writing on the back page of one of my school notebooks "So, do you have a Playstation yet? How about a Neo-Geo CD?"

Okay, memory lane aside, I got Gunner's Heaven because I loved Gunstar Heroes, but I never had much patience for the game, so I can't remember how good it was or wasn't...just that I wasn't very good at it.

quote:

However, it is sad to note that, despite of all that platforming greatness, SM3DW is scoring the poorest sales figures for a Mario game in the last years. Mankind is doomed for sure.

Although I didn't expect big numbers for 3D World, since the WiiU install base is so low, as I was saying before, the numbers for 3D Marios on a whole are a bit sobering. More disappointing is how few WiiU systems it moved, making me wonder if Nintendo's plan of eventually turning people around with a strong lineup will work or not. It certainly turned things around for the 3DS, but we'll see after Mario Kart and Smash Bros...and (someday) Zelda on WiiU.

Although I've never been that big on Nintendo in particular, I'm finding myself in a position that must've been similar to what fans went through during the N64-GC era, where Nintendo's home consoles weren't hugely prominent. I had friends that were happy to buy the systems because they couldn't afford to miss Nintendo first party games and were grateful that portable sales/Pokemon allowed Nintendo to keep making exceptional console titles. Thinking of it that way, I can make my peace with NSMB, so long as they keep making these amazing 3D Marios.

By the same token, friends that say "I'm thinking about getting a WiiU for some reason" are now told "well, if you have to get the Nintendo titles, 3D World is worth it" instead of simply being admonished by me.

Nobinobita
1232th Post

"Re(6):3DWoooooooow" , posted Mon 2 Dec 03:18:post reply

quote:

I'm seriously considering getting a Wii-U just for Mario 3DW (and Platinum's games of course!). It makes me sad that the Wii-U is just such a hard sell for people. I have a few friends that have one. Once in a while they'll bring it to the office and everyone has a ridiculous amount of fun playing it. Like absurd. But at the end of the day everyone goes home and preorders a XboxOne or PS4 despite the fact that there are literally no good exclusives out for either system.

I fear Nintendo is due for another slump, like the Gamecube days. But this time their top competition isn't Sony or Microsoft, it's Apple and Android devices. I know a lot of parents who in the past may have bought their kids a Nintendo system, but now find it's easier just to hand down their outdated smartphones and tablets. I know Nintendo is tough and smart and they're always ready for the boom and bust cycle, but I just don't know if they will ever really be back on top now that everyone has a smartphone.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by Nobinobita on Mon 2 Dec 04:04]

Spoon
2516th Post

"Re(7):3DWoooooooow" , posted Mon 2 Dec 06:23post reply

Some years ago (2010? maybe even earlier) I remember Iwata saying that Apple is Nintendo's greatest threat, and that efforts should be made to challenge them. I think at the time it was dismissed as arrogance by Nintendo after the heady success of Wii and NDS, but it's a terribly relevant statement. Portable gaming has been Nintendo's lifeblood since the N64, and the mobile market as a whole offers a challenge to it that is on a scale that will require skillful maneuvering to stay alive against.

I'm still impressed by how crazy and determined Nintendo can be when it comes to making things (let's face it, the Wii took some serious guts to actually release, and Nintendo had both the vision and patience to see the NDS come to fruition). If surviving in second place and then in third place with the N64 and the NGC showed us, Nintendo is nothing if not resilient... and even during lean times, they can knock out some amazing games.

Maou
2567th Post

"Re(8):3DWoooooooow" , posted Mon 2 Dec 06:30:post reply

quote:
Nintendo is nothing if not resilient... and even during lean times, they can knock out some amazing games.

Yeah, I feel like their software creators (well, Miyamoto, mostly) are just so impressive that they are really succeeding in spite of the hardware these days. Maybe it's their penance after the N64 being literally created to run Mario 64 at the expense of all other games (right down to the idiotic controller, and probably the suicidal plan to use cartridges instead of CD's), or maybe it's a sign that these underpowered, goofy machines are no roadblock to the true geniuses. That said, I wonder what would happen if they made a technologically mighty console again...remember when the Super Famicom was the most impressive item on the market for the price?

It's probably a sad sign that I was reading this thread and thinking "man, I should get Mario 3D World" and then suddenly groaning (almost out loud), "Oh. It's on the WiiU?"

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 2 Dec 06:32]

Spoon
2517th Post

"Re(9):3DWoooooooow" , posted Mon 2 Dec 06:55post reply

I would get a WiiU because it has games I will get on it for sure (SM3DW, wonderful 101, bayonetta 2, smash bros... who cares if two of them haven't even released yet!), but I have so many games to play on the PS3 and Wii that it's hard to justify that purchase... to say nothing of the PC games I have.

Also this will be for sure the year I beat Last Window.

Maou
2567th Post

"Re(10):3DWoooooooow" , posted Mon 2 Dec 07:17post reply

quote:

Also this will be for sure the year I beat Last Window.

By hilarious coincidence, that is also my plan! Unfortunately, it has been so since about August 2011.

mbisonhatclub
596th Post

PSN: hadoolket

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):3DWoooooooow" , posted Mon 2 Dec 16:12post reply

I just did get a WiiU (last Friday night), for about 50 dollars more than I was initially willing to spend on it, but Super Mario 3D World is so fun that I don't really regret the extra 50. And already, I'm up to about 275 stars. Also, Rosalina without powerups is very strong, despite some whiners saying otherwise, or people complaining about how she loses her advantage of double jump on powerup, where she essentially becomes a higher jumping non-floating Peach. Unlike them, though, I'm actually ok with the tradeoff.

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

chazumaru
1127th Post

"Re(64):3DWoooooooow" , posted Tue 3 Dec 09:31:post reply

I finally unlocked the ★★★★ save file. That one requires 380 stars + 80 stamps.

Getting the final [five] stamps is also proving a bit less time consuming than I initially expected, especially when [I remember to summon a second player right next to the pole and complete the level with two characters for the price of a single run]. The last few levels will prove difficult, though. I am not sure I can complete [Championship Run] two more times without getting a heart attack...

quote:
Also, Rosalina without powerups is very strong, despite some whiners saying otherwise

Ros is completely overpowered compared to other characters. Her extra attack is not only a free hit with a rather comfortable hitzone, it acts as a much more flexible jump delayer than Peach's float. It's true that shes loses many advantages when you use costumes but the easy solution is: don't upgrade her. She doesn't need it. She is the best character to complete the true last level [Championship Run] and many of the "post-game" levels, which makes sense since many original levels after the Staff Roll are heavily influenced by Super Mario Galaxy. Her only downside is how slow she is to accelerate. This can get her in trouble in some levels, especially when the cat disguise is necessary.

However, overall my favourite character to play is Luigi. His jump is more versatile than Peach's (because it also affects verticality) and he is pretty fast; I think his speed combined with his jumps make him a better runner than Kinopio/Toad. When transformed into a cat, he basically becomes the next protagonist of Assassin's Creed.

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Tue 3 Dec 09:58]

Iggy
9686th Post

"Re(7):Re(64):3DWoooooooow" , posted Tue 3 Dec 20:16post reply

After the depressing sales of 3D World 1st week, it's comforting to hear that Dragon's Crown broke 800k worldwide (including download), beating P4G who still scores a reasonable 700k.

Apparently, both are on sales on PSN now (maybe Japan only?), so if anyone on this BBS owns a PS3 and hasn't bought Dragon's Crown, now is the time to redeem yourself.

GJ Vanilla! Let's hope they will go on with that trend of making games that are not only pretty to look at, but also and more importantly fun to play.

Ishmael
4773th Post

"Re(9):3DWoooooooow" , posted Wed 4 Dec 02:37post reply

I'm glad to see that Dragon's Crown did very well. It's goes to show that there is a market out there for games that have a distinct vision, are fun to play and that are not on the WiiU.

quote:
It's probably a sad sign that I was reading this thread and thinking "man, I should get Mario 3D World" and then suddenly groaning (almost out loud), "Oh. It's on the WiiU?"

Sadly, I'm in the same boat. SM3DW looks like fun but the WiiU still looks like no fun whatsoever. Even though I don't own all the current consoles I still own more game playing devices than any one person needs. As a consequence I try to show a bit of restraint when buying hardware and the WiiU does not yet feel like a vital purchase. Yes, there are few games on the system I would like to play. Thing is, I would like to play those games in spite of them being on the WiiU instead of getting any sense of excitement about the console from those titles.

karasu99
1266th Post

"Re(5):3DWoooooooow" , posted Wed 4 Dec 09:48post reply

quote:
A Lightning Returns demo is out on the Japanese PSN for those curious. (I still recommend getting in on the free PS+ trial while you're there!)

I've been disdainful to the point of being grossed out by most of what I've seen from the game, but I can't deny that I enjoyed the battle system. With Square providing a dual-language option on the English version, I might be persuaded to pick it up when it comes out in America. It's not like I can really be disappointed at this point, right?

I wasn't super enthusiastic, even as far as getting the demo goes, but seeing that Chocolina will be in this abominable game has suddenly made my ears perk up. Polly, knowing that you undoubtedly played the demo by now, give it to me straight: is it even marginally good enough to justify me taking the time to download it?

It's... not that I don't think SE makes amazing looking games, it's just that they are amazing looking games that have *that particular look* that instantly identifies them, and worse yet, it's a look I don't care for especially. And then this game-- it's pretty much pre-cosplayed (if that makes any sense). Not an aesthetic that I really enjoy.

And now a palate cleanser: I've been playing the new Zelda, and it's great! I was skeptical at first that it was a sequel, and that it took place in the venerable old Hyrule of LttP (my favorite in the series!), since it sounded as though it could have easily drifted into pandering to the fan base. Surprisingly though it's a well made game with clever(ish) puzzles, a well-executed mechanic (the painting stuff), and it's all around fun. Since I'm familiar with LttP almost to the degree that I am with Symphony of the Night (i.e. I could probably play it blindfolded), I can't speak for folks who never played LttP, but as for me, nostalgia almost acts as a mechanic of its own-- I keep finding tiny differences in the layouts, I'm fascinated with the ways in which Lorule is a different but still similar mirror to Hyrule when compared to the Dark World, and it's just one discovery after another to see how you get to have just about all the special items up front, if you so choose. It's as though it was made (in some ways) to be a remix and a new game+ to LttP.

All that said, I still think the combat is pretty simple for the most part, and the bosses so far have dead-obvious 'hooks'. But still, this is probably the best approach to a sequel I've seen in forever. If those are the biggest complaints I have, this still ends up being the best Zelda game I've played in forever!

PS: I hear that a lot of people hate the Rabbit guy who sells you items. I actually kind of like him!

www.secret-arts.com

Pollyanna
3587th Post

"Re(6):3DWoooooooow" , posted Wed 4 Dec 14:01post reply

I've been playing Street Fighter X All Capcom, because I can literally play it while I'm doing my job (which is pretty much all the time). Gameplay mostly consists of forming a team, then pressing a button that gives you MORE CAPCOM every so often. It plays Guile's theme constantly. You can barely even call it a game, but the social/team/competitive aspects are very well managed and seeing which characters pop up next is a delight.
quote:
I wasn't super enthusiastic, even as far as getting the demo goes, but seeing that Chocolina will be in this abominable game has suddenly made my ears perk up. Polly, knowing that you undoubtedly played the demo by now, give it to me straight: is it even marginally good enough to justify me taking the time to download it?

It's... not that I don't think SE makes amazing looking games, it's just that they are amazing looking games that have *that particular look* that instantly identifies them, and worse yet, it's a look I don't care for especially. And then this game-- it's pretty much pre-cosplayed (if that makes any sense). Not an aesthetic that I really enjoy.

Was that...a video full of people talking ABOUT Nomura without anyone actually talking TO him? That's really sad.

Anyway, like XIII-2, XIII-3 is probably as much of a Tri-Ace game as a Square game, so like a Tri-Ace game, I would recommend checking out the demo based on how interested you are in the battle system. Other than that, it has a stupid, overblown opening you could watch on youtube and some mostly nonsensical plot snippets.

Having mostly negative expectations, I was pleasantly surprised, though...enough so that I'm strongly considering picking the game up. Again, that's looking at it from a Tri-Ace fan perspective. As a Final Fantasy fan, I'd rather keep playing FFXIV.

So, yeah, if you're curious about the battle system, I say try it. It was as incoherent as XIII-2, but more exciting.

Maou
2569th Post

"Re(7):3DWoooooooow" , posted Wed 4 Dec 14:31:post reply

quote:
Was that...a video full of people talking ABOUT Nomura without anyone actually talking TO him? That's really sad.
I'd like to think it's some high-minded commentary on the utter lack of substance of the man, sort of like how the Doonesbury comic strip used to depict the vacousness of the former US president as an empty cowboy hat with no one underneath it. I mean, no one could actually be thinking of this sad pretender to Square and Amano's legacy in genuine, unironic awe...

....could they?!

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 4 Dec 14:47]

chazumaru
1127th Post

"Brave" , posted Wed 4 Dec 21:52post reply

To nobody's surprise since a stream was planned on launch day, more awesomeness next year.
Now let's hope Bravely Default wasn't a happy accident.

The update (officially) comes out in a few hours in Japan and Europe, although many French shops broke the date!

Ishmael
4776th Post

"Re(1):Brave" , posted Sun 8 Dec 10:02post reply

Sengoku Musou is getting an anime and manga tie-in. I take comfort in the idea that the Musou games are indestructible but I didn't realize that the Sengoku games were popular enough to warrant this sort of merchandising. Then again, this is the same version of Nobunaga and co. that were hanging out with Pokémon so I guess these games are bigger than I realized.

Pollyanna
3589th Post

"Re(2):Brave" , posted Mon 9 Dec 09:51post reply

Finally sold on Basara 4. Now that (at least some) Musou games have taken a turn for the better, I need Basara to be more aggressively lively and stupid. This is certainly lively and stupid.

I couldn't make a call on Sengoku Musou 4 from the trailers. It looked like a big improvement over 3, but still maybe a little stiff compared to the latest Sangoku games. I could be swayed by good reviews, assuming they come from people who have an appropriate level of disdain for Sengoku 3.

sfried
824th Post

PSN: My3DSFriendCode
XBL: isdownbellow
Wii: 279306128909

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(4):3DS MiiVerse" , posted Tue 10 Dec 14:17post reply

3DS now has MiiVerse and unified account system in the latest update.

Iggy
9689th Post

"Re(5):3DS MiiVerse" , posted Tue 10 Dec 22:00post reply

quote:

And I cannot connect to the eShop since it updated.
I am mildly annoyed, hope it will get better.

sfried
825th Post

"Re(6):3DS MiiVerse" , posted Tue 10 Dec 22:45post reply

quote:

And I cannot connect to the eShop since it updated.
I am mildly annoyed, hope it will get better.

Yeah, their servers are getting hammered. Happens with most big announcement firmware updates.

Ishmael
4780th Post

"Re(7):3DS MiiVerse" , posted Sat 14 Dec 04:07post reply

How did I go this long without knowing about the Big Buck World Championship and the huge Bick Buck scene that has thrived for years?

sfried
826th Post

"Re(1):Consoles emulating older consoles" , posted Wed 18 Dec 18:19post reply

Am I the only one really enjoying M2's fantastic 3D Sega Classics? It's like the much Sega Ages collection all over again, only this time M2 even proves that the 3D effects really help with 2D games (Galaxy Force II is a really good example of how having depth helps)

Iggy
9693th Post

"Re(2):Consoles emulating older consoles" , posted Wed 18 Dec 19:31post reply

quote:
Am I the only one really enjoying M2's fantastic 3D Sega Classics?

I'm in the M2-goodness train as well! I don't do well with 3D, I generally let it off, but the collection is too good to pass even for weaklings like myself.
Bare Knuckles and Shinobi 2, despite being 2D games, play really nice (and Bare Knuckles looks quite funny when the characters move to the background). As for real 3D games, Galaxy Force 2 is fantastic, but it forces me to rest after a while.
I haven't tried Afterburner yet, and I'm really curious to know what the second batch of 3D ports will bring. Normally, I shouldn't be that excited for these, but with the Virtual Console on 3DS and WiiU being a shadow of the Wii's, it's a welcome improvement.

SPEAKING OF, Roma Sa.Ga 1 arrives on (japanese) WiiU! Get it even if you have to kill him for it!

mbisonhatclub
602th Post

PSN: hadoolket

"Re(3):Consoles emulating older consoles" , posted Thu 19 Dec 01:54post reply

I just want to say.

[Confirmed for Smash, baby~

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

HAYATO
1160th Post

PSN: Lord-Hayato

"Re(3):Brave" , posted Thu 19 Dec 02:17post reply

quote:
Finally sold on Basara 4. Now that (at least some) Musou games have taken a turn for the better, I need Basara to be more aggressively lively and stupid. This is certainly lively and stupid.

I couldn't make a call on Sengoku Musou 4 from the trailers. It looked like a big improvement over 3, but still maybe a little stiff compared to the latest Sangoku games. I could be swayed by good reviews, assuming they come from people who have an appropriate level of disdain for Sengoku 3.

Well, and speaking of Musou games. I certainly didn't see that one coming...

Ishmael
4784th Post

"Re(4):Brave" , posted Thu 19 Dec 04:12post reply

quote:

I guess everything will be a Musou game at some point. I do like that the primary Zelda theme has been redone in the squealing guitar style of the usual Koei game. But one of the main selling points in a Musou game is having dozens of playable characters. How is this going to work with Zelda? Judging from the number of odd jobs Link has to complete in his games it seems he's the only person in Hyrule who is competent enough to tie his own shoes. Who else in the franchise would be able to go out and get 1,000 KO's per stage?

Just a Person
1566th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Consoles emulating older consoles" , posted Thu 19 Dec 04:25post reply

quote:
I just want to say.

[Confirmed for Smash, baby~

Cool!

I'm hoping for Dixie Kong, even though her chances are quite small. Then again, she will be present in the next Donkey Kong game, so there's hope.

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

HAYATO
1161th Post

"Hyrule Musou" , posted Thu 19 Dec 07:21post reply

quote:

I guess everything will be a Musou game at some point. I do like that the primary Zelda theme has been redone in the squealing guitar style of the usual Koei game. But one of the main selling points in a Musou game is having dozens of playable characters. How is this going to work with Zelda? Judging from the number of odd jobs Link has to complete in his games it seems he's the only person in Hyrule who is competent enough to tie his own shoes. Who else in the franchise would be able to go out and get 1,000 KO's per stage?

I'm no Zelda expert but I guess princess Zelda, Ganon, Tingle and that Wolf-Link from Twilight Princess could be easily buffed up to meet Musou-esque standards of badassery...

Not that I'm very excited about the announcement (it's no Hokuto Musou 3, after all), but I find the concept mildly interesting, and a great spin-off to the series, with the potential to play the same role that "MGSR: Revengeance" does for the main Metal Gear universe: the bringer of fun, quick and mindless escapism many fans are in so much need of...

And the most important question of all: will this game be alluring enough to make Maese buy a wiiU?

Pollyanna
3590th Post

"Re(1):Hyrule Musou" , posted Thu 19 Dec 08:10post reply

quote:
Sega

I do so love Shinobi 3, so I'll be up for that, but I am continually frustrated that the MD versions of Sega's arcade games keep getting remade. The answer to why they did the home version of Altered Beast instead of the arcade one was something like "well, we're doing MD games..." I can understand that (in this case), but I don't know that there's ever been an arcade Altered Beast re-release. It's a little funny to continually work from an inferior version when the technology of the systems you're working on have far surpassed the superior version.

On a side note, I really want a re-release of arcade Ghouls and Ghosts.

quote:

I guess everything will be a Musou game at some point. I do like that the primary Zelda theme has been redone in the squealing guitar style of the usual Koei game. But one of the main selling points in a Musou game is having dozens of playable characters. How is this going to work with Zelda? J

Judging from the trailer, Link has an awful lot of moves/weapons for a Musou character... like the game is designed around just using him. It would be really stupid if you couldn't at least use Zelda, but it doesn't seem like we can expect many characters.

quote:
Zelda

Holy crap, I am nuts about the 3DS Zelda. I don't even like Zelda that much. I finally got fed up with the ludicrous amount of overexplaining in Mario and Luigi: Dream Team and was thrilled to play a game that lets you discover things for yourself.

I don't want to speak in general terms of how good the game is, because the obvious response will be "duh" from anyone who's played it, but I will say that the game excels at "popping out of the mold" in amazing ways. The first time you see Link hop off of a platform and "jump" out of the 3DS in 3D, it sets the tone for the rest of the game. It seems that the theme is "the intersection of 2D and 3D," where you're obviously on a 2D plane, and as soon as you get in that mindset, something 3-dimensional happens. The camera pans out and changes perspective, something pops out of the screen, you have a puzzle that utilizes vertical space, you enter a wall and move around a cube shape. Link makes the world 3D by becoming flat. You're playing on a system that makes a 2D world 3D. Somehow, in a world where most games are already in 3D, Zelda makes 3D seem meaningful and fresh.

I guess those remarks are pretty "duh" as well, but this game has me shaking my head in delighted disbelief again and again (and I didn't even care for LttP).

quote:
I'm hoping for Dixie Kong, even though her chances are quite small. Then again, she will be present in the next Donkey Kong game, so there's hope.

I'm afraid that science may progress to the point that you can become Dixie Kong before you'll be able to play her in Smash Bros.

Mosquiton
1956th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Hyrule Musou" , posted Thu 19 Dec 13:52:post reply

quote:
...but one of the main selling points in a Musou game is having dozens of playable characters. How is this going to work with Zelda?
Judging from the trailer, Link has an awful lot of moves/weapons for a Musou character... like the game is designed around just using him. It would be really stupid if you couldn't at least use Zelda, but it doesn't seem like we can expect many characters.

Link is kind of in his own league within Zelda games, and he definitely has a lot of moves in the trailer, but in a Koei game characters can dominate the battlefield with a fan or a harp... I feel like they'll probably think of something. Maybe fewer characters, more moves for each? Or some sort of shared weapon system? I'd definitely like to hold out hope that we'd see a few more HYLIAN WARRIORS in the mix here.

I can think of a few characters I'd like to see that wouldn't be that far from the realm of possibility. Nabooru of the Gerudo always seemed like an asskicker, and Darunia is definitely a Goron most people wouldn't want to mess with. Zelda/Shiek seems -almost- a given to me. Midna seems like she could be pretty cool. Impa? Maybe?

I also imagine that plot elements like magical artifacts or just a bigger emphasis on magic would open up some possibilities. I could imagine Princess Ruto doing some damage with powerful water magic, for example. If they wanted to draft some new sages, they could just deal out some elemental powers and go crazy.

The fact that there are good guy soldiers also opens up the possibility of a bad guy team as well. The terrifying Horsehead from Zelda II would be pretty awesome IMO but that's not one that I'd necessarily bet on....

Something else that might be of interest to people wondering what full-scale Zelda war might look like: HYRULE: TOTAL WAR

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Thu 19 Dec 14:05]

Baines
398th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Hyrule Musou" , posted Thu 19 Dec 14:40post reply

quote:
Not that I'm very excited about the announcement (it's no Hokuto Musou 3, after all), but I find the concept mildly interesting, and a great spin-off to the series, with the potential to play the same role that "MGSR: Revengeance" does for the main Metal Gear universe: the bringer of fun, quick and mindless escapism many fans are in so much need of...

I thought it was a great idea at first. This is the kind of thing that Nintendo should have been doing for a while. (And something that they've done with varying degrees of success in the past.)

But after watching the video a second time, I've become underwhelmed. The game shown in the video simply doesn't look good. Maybe it is an early alpha, but if it is that early, then Nintendo probably shouldn't be showing gameplay at all.

There are a good number of grunt troops onscreen. The problem is that they all just stand in place waiting to be hit. For most games, that would be a sign of a game that is early in development. But Koei for many years has had a distressing tendency to treat grunt troops almost exactly that way. In too many Warriors games, grunt troops just stand in place.

Stage design is non-existent. Koei could have knocked out some slightly interesting terrain for a demo video, but they didn't here.

I can only hope those are placeholder grunt troops on both sides. The whole thing looks graphically weak. Not in a "too few polys" way, but rather just in boring models and simple textures. (Compared to something like Xenoblade. Or most of the PS2 Warriors games. Or even to a degree N64 Ocarina of Time.)

I think in the end, while I'm a fan of Koei's Warriors games, I can't really trust Koei not to phone in the whole project. Because it is Koei making a Wii U game for Nintendo, if someone swore that the video was from final release code, I wouldn't be able to 100% disbelieve them. I could see Koei doing such a thing. And that cools any excitement, because even if that worst case scenario is pure fiction, with Koei the final product really could be anywhere from "horribly flawed/disappointing" to "decent".

Maese
726th Post

"Re(3):Hyrule Musou" , posted Thu 19 Dec 16:23post reply

quote:
HYRULE MUSOU

: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
  : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :::  〃〃∩: : _, ,_ : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: : : : : : : : : : : :
  : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: : ::: : : ⊂⌒( `Д´) < NEO TOKYO MAESE'S HEAD IS ABOUT TO E-X-P-L-O-D-E!
  : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: : : : : : : : `ヽ_つ__つ : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: : : : : : : : : : : :
  : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :|i|||i||ヤ|i|i|i|i: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
  : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :i||i.i||iダ|i|i|i|i: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
  : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ::::|i|||i||┃|i|i|i|:::: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
  : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ::::|i|||i||┃|i|i|i|:::: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
  : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :i||i.i||i┃i|i|i|i: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
  : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :i||i.i||i┃i|i|i|i: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
  : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ::::i||i.i||i ッi|i|i|i|:::: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
  : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ,l''''"゙゙゙゙'''''''''''''"゙゙''i、: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
  : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ::,/  ,. 丶  、 .i、‘'i、: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
  : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ,r″ ,,/     |、 ゙'i、.゙'i、: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
  : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : .,,i´ .,/ | .、   .!.ヽ、 ゙fy、\、: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ::
  : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ,/,,r)川、 .,|.l!.|゙l .ni、  ,.‘lぅ,,,リ,,"''゙㍉: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
  : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ::,,rか'"'!“゜,シレ゚;“″ヽ,│゙'i、゙|"フl,,゚~“\_;;;;ヽ,、: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ::
  : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ::_,/;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;li″;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;゙'〈i、;;‘'V;;;;;゙''=.;;;`;;;;;;;;;;`'-,_: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
  : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ,,,-‐";;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;`;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;`゙゚ヽ、: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
  : : : : : : : : : _,,,,,―‐'″;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;`-、_: : : : : : : : : : : : : :
  __,,,,-‐'゙^;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;‘ヽ__: : : : : : : : : :: :
  ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;~"'ー-,,,,_: : : : :

Seriously, I'm having a HUGE hype crisis right now, I'm not able to think nor even type properly. I'll be back with you guys when I manage to calm down, probably in a year or two.

Wow. Much Musou. So Hyrulean Knights. Such awesome.

Burning Ranger
1757th Post

"Re(1):Hyrule Musou" , posted Thu 19 Dec 22:31post reply

quote:

And the most important question of all: will this game be alluring enough to make Maese buy a wiiU?

I agree. This feels like a gimmick in the vein of Link's Crossbow Training. Then again, it's a really awesome gimmick. Now that I think about it, I wonder why I've never played this before.

Between this and the new Smash Bros, I may be motivated to get a WiiU...

Iggy
9695th Post

"Famicom Remix" , posted Thu 19 Dec 23:41post reply

quote:
The answer to why they did the home version of Altered Beast instead of the arcade one was something like "well, we're doing MD games..." I can understand that (in this case), but I don't know that there's ever been an arcade Altered Beast re-release. It's a little funny to continually work from an inferior version when the technology of the systems you're working on have far surpassed the superior version.

Fortunately, I think Altered Beast is the only arcade game for which they used the MD version as a base instead of the arcade. I believe that Afterburner or Galaxy Force use the arcade version [citation needed].

The general good opinion of this thread on Hyrule Musou shows how little I know about gaming as a whole and the strange organisms who buy games. The reveal during the Nintendo Direct almost convinced me that Nintendo was finally Nintendoomed for good, there was nothing to save, and Zelda was going to be ran to the ground after Mario in a futile attempt to save a console for which even them had lost hope.
I sincerely wish I am dead wrong and the people excited for that thing are more numerous than I gave them credit for.

Still on the topic of yesterday's Nintendo Direct, I was extremely skeptical when they showed Famicon Remix. Yeay, Nintendo is selling rom hacks, yeay.
My opinion changed totally when I played it. Each game is actually broken into tiny fragments, Warioware-bites of instantly edible action that are at least as much about teaching how to play old games as they are about having fun or providing challenge. It also has remixes with silly effects or challenges (the zoomed-out Mario Bros is amazing, and the ice ring-level 4-1 of SMB is dumb fun), but you can't really enjoy them without understanding the core of each game. And Famicom Remix does an amazing job at teaching that.

The teaching aspect is especially interesting here because most of the games are minor, have aged pretty badly, or, let's say it bluntly, weren't even good to begin with (Clu Clu Land, I'm looking at you). Breaking them into smaller parts not only make them more edible for a 21st century audience, they also fundamentally change the relationship we could have had with the games had we played them as they were on VC for example. Even a mediocre game can become really fun if it is presented as a challenge within a broader perspective.
Adversely, I found out that playing the games that not only I knew best, but also I played often through the years (SMB, Zelda) were also the least interesting. SMB still managed to surprise me because that's how flexible and rich that game is, but Zelda, while it started as my main goal to play Famicon Remix, "I hope I can unlock Zelda quickly to see what they have done with it!", ended up being extremely dull "do this, do that, do this, do that". I love Zelda 1 and I still think it's one of the best, if not the best, game of the series and out of Nintendo's whole historical output, and I love all of it as it stands in 2013, not merely through nostalgia-tinted lenses. For that reason, the "breaking into pieces" didn't work very well on me. Maybe someone who loves modern Zelda but hates the first one because it's "too archaic" would enjoy that part as much as I enjoyed, for example, Ice Climbers: a whole gameplay broken into pieces, clear objectives, failure doesn't jeopardizes anything, etc.

As I was playing, I was already hoping they would follow-up with another version of the same concept, with Mario USA, or Adventure of Link, or Kid Icarus, or why not, Rockman 1 and Castlevania 1 (it's called "Famicom" Remix, not Nintendo Remix). But as I became more familiar with what I was playing (the whole package, not just the individual elements), I understood that it would only work on someone who would either not like these games, or like them but find them too difficult to play in 2014. I happen to still like all these games I just listed, I remember most of them in detail and I'm able to play them fairly well, so I might end up being quite underwhelmed by such a Famicom Remix 2, despite the luxurious line-up.

On the other hand, the Lost Levels, or Ghost&Goblins, or Spelunker, would work perfectly. 16 games is a perfect number for the ambition of Famicom Remix, because you need to have a fine balance of legitimately good games, to pick people's interest (you won't catch many customers by having 16 turds and advertising "we made these turds actually tasty!" even if that's what you did) and games that people don't like to play (and more of the later than of the former).
As it stands, Famicom Remix is sure to get a spot around the top of my GOTY list. For the same reason as Rockman 9 in 2008: for the game itself, but also for the logic, understanding, and new horizons the game opens for "outdated" games and gaming concepts.

If SQEX weren't the dumbest company on earth, they could do the same for Romancing Saga for example: breaking RomaSaga 2 into pieces may not work well, but doing that on RomaSaga 1 would be perfect. "Steal that ice sword!" "Go through the pirate cove without having any pirate telling you they are pirates!" "Use the petrify bug to kill the final boss with a non-leveled up character!".
----------------------
I'm just saying that because RomaSaGa1 was just released on WiiU VC, paving the way for the holy trinity to advent on the console and ultimately reversing the odds and making it a success worldwide, like all the consoles who received the 3 holy artifacts of our lord Kawazu.
Who has started tweeting to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Saga next year. Praise the lord!

Burning Ranger
1759th Post

"Re(1):Famicom Remix" , posted Thu 19 Dec 23:58post reply

quote:

Still on the topic of yesterday's Nintendo Direct, I was extremely skeptical when they showed Famicon Remix. Yeay, Nintendo is selling rom hacks, yeay.

I'm wondering if Nintendo saw the reception to Super Mario Crossover and decided to get in on that action. Quite surprised they haven't usurped Crossover and made it a WiiU game already...

Spoon
2525th Post

"Re(1):Famicom Remix" , posted Fri 20 Dec 04:05post reply

I think that it works poorly with Zelda because Zelda was not an arcade style game to begin with; it was an adventure with a strong sense of continuity and a lot of wandering. When you make it very specific and very directed and very fragmented, it loses those critical aspects to it.

Iggy, how do you feel Nintendo Remix compares with the NDS Game Center CX games?

Iggy
9696th Post

"Re(2):Famicom Remix" , posted Fri 20 Dec 05:30post reply

quote:
Iggy, how do you feel Nintendo Remix compares with the NDS Game Center CX games?

For some reason, Game Center CX never really clicked with me, so I cannot really say. But GCCX is a nostalgic game, and tries to recreate the "feel" of old games, the atmosphere of the time, etc.
Remix, on the other hand, asks "how can these outdated games be adapted to the tastes of the players of 2014?"
I think the starting point is different, even if they seem to reach a similar finishing line. Plus, the fact that Remix works on real, existing games (that were originally conceived poor and unfair for reasons that don't mean anything to us anymore) makes it quite different. As faithfully crafted as it is, GCCX is an homage (or a parody if you want), while Remix doesn't have any misplaced respect for the source material: for it, the source material is inert, and it tries to make something entertaining out of it.

chazumaru
1130th Post

"Re(1):Random Game Thread #21 - New Consoles E" , posted Fri 20 Dec 21:21post reply

quote:
I don't know that there's ever been an arcade Altered Beast re-release. It's a little funny to continually work from an inferior version when the technology of the systems you're working on have far surpassed the superior version.

Actually they justify this specific release by saying the Mega Drive version was also more interesting on a technical level, including 3D efforts. (Those ImpressWatch interviews translated on Siliconera are really good, by the way.)

Since all the other arcade games are the arcade versions, I think we can trust it wasn't laziness on their part. I really hope for Landstalker because it would be mind-blowing to play that game in 3D, but I understand it would be an herculean effort for M2.

quote:
I think that it works poorly with Zelda because Zelda was not an arcade style game to begin with; it was an adventure with a strong sense of continuity and a lot of wandering. When you make it very specific and very directed and very fragmented, it loses those critical aspects to it.

It's not as much that it works poorly with Zelda, as it is that the entire Zelda segment is more like a huge tutorial for the game (the eShop button is not there by accident). But one cool thing is that you can think up a lot of metagame with the Zelda challenges. For example, in the challenge that gives you 300 seconds to collect a certain number of rupees makes it possible to think up really dumb made-up quests.

Iggy
9698th Post

"Re(2):Random Game Thread #21 - New Consoles E" , posted Fri 20 Dec 22:03post reply

quote:
It's not as much that it works poorly with Zelda, as it is that the entire Zelda segment is more like a huge tutorial for the game (the eShop button is not there by accident). But one cool thing is that you can think up a lot of metagame with the Zelda challenges. For example, in the challenge that gives you 300 seconds to collect a certain number of rupees makes it possible to think up really dumb made-up quests.

That's something that could be improved in the next game: more creative challenges. Finish a level of SMB where all the blocs are already bumped. Time-attack portions of Zelda. Or a challenge "clear the levels in a specific, counter-intuitive order". Beat a boss without a sword.
It's obviously much more difficult to do with the older games like Ice Climbers, Pinball or Clu Clu Land, but if they go with more recent games like Metroid or Adventure of Link, they should be more creative. The issue being that if the challenges are too wide, it basically mean you have to allow the player to reach most of the game, which defeat the purpose of "having players buy the game on eShop".

But Zelda highlights what I was saying about "games you don't like". If you like the game as it is and it's still fresh in your mind, then the whole thing is a drab tutorial. But for someone who wouldn't, playing just the highlights of the game and cutting away the "fat" is probably a great opportunity.

There is a difficult balance to find here.

sfried
827th Post

"Re(1):Famicom Remix" , posted Sun 22 Dec 17:37post reply

quote:
Fortunately, I think Altered Beast is the only arcade game for which they used the MD version as a base instead of the arcade. I believe that Afterburner or Galaxy Force use the arcade version [citation needed].

SiliconEra has been doing some great Impress Watch translation of M2's development for the 3D Sega Classics game, and I do think not only did they mention that it was a port of the arcade, but rather, a port of the PS2 version with the option to toggle the high-res art assets.

As for Zelda Musou (which I believe is the official Japanese title, complete with logo), I'll have a wait and see approach. Hokuto played pretty much like a brawler-ized Musou game, so dunno how well they'll handle this, but it seems they're on the right footing so far.

karasu99
1282th Post

"Re(2):HEY POLLY" , posted Wed 1 Jan 03:35post reply

Snipped from the Game of the Year thread (because I'm orderly like that):

quote:
I have spent a fair amount of time on Japanese ios games. (Divine Gate, Sangokushi Rumble, Street Fighter X All Capcom, Otoranger, others) I've been tempted to write about this, but I had a feeling no one really cared.

Polly, please write about these! In particular SF X All Capcom and Sangokushi Rumble! I definitely care, and I've been looking for a reason to make a Japan region App Store account as it is.

www.secret-arts.com

Pollyanna
3595th Post

"Re(3):HEY POLLY" , posted Wed 1 Jan 05:45post reply

IMPORT IOS GAME RANT
quote:

Polly, please write about these! In particular SF X All Capcom and Sangokushi Rumble! I definitely care, and I've been looking for a reason to make a Japan region App Store account as it is.

Those are the ones I've played the most, for better or worse.

Let me start this by saying that I don't believe these ftp money grabs are in any way a replacement for "actual games." The ones that are closer to "real games" are viewed less favorably to me, because I could just be playing something genuinely great. These games fill the 2 minutes you might spend on the toilet or waiting for something to happen. Some of these "games" I've actually been able to play while working.

Also, all of these games follow the "Puzzle and Dragon" structure where the game is free and you pay for "gacha" attempts at getting rare characters. Repeated logins get you free stuff and there's some connectivity between other players and "friends."

Anyway, here goes.

B-Kyu Kanojo- Level 5 (Dropped)
I mentioned this one before. It has lots of cute girls, funny enemies and slot machine combat. At first, it was a good diversion, because it's easy to just keep playing slots again and again, especially if you're winning and there's cute artwork involved. The "gameplay" was limited to building your team and deciding when to use your special moves, which do damage, or increase defense or whatever. When you get all 7s the girls transform and you do massive damage turn after turn. I actually enjoyed the "luck element" a little bit, because if something seemed too challenging, you could hammer at it until you got lucky and move on. Evidently, people were tearing through the content too quickly, though, so they kept increasing the "difficulty" until the game was very unpleasant to play. Slots aren't fun if you're ALWAYS LOSING, especially if you're used to winning. Suddenly, the bosses that I was farming to beat harder bosses were more impossible than anything I'd encountered before. So yeah, screw that. They've updated the game several times since, so they may have found a more pleasant difficulty balance.

Dragon's Dogma Quest-Capcom (Dropped)

I wrote about this one before as well. It's actually a pretty decent game, especially for ftp standards...maybe even the best I've tried. However, it has constant constant loading and downloading that rendered it completely unplayable. Maybe I should try it again for Vita.

Monster Takt-Silicon Studio (Dropped)
This is a cute RPG-ish game from the creators of Bravely Default (it even looks like it). You arrange your party on a grid and have a series of enemy encounters each stage. You can attack, use special moves or re-arrange your party to optimize offense or defense in each situation. It's actually reasonably deep and well-managed. However, the simple renders didn't fill me with a lust to collect them and most of my team did not endear itself to me. This sounds like a minor thing, but I believe that the collection aspect of these games is very important. Anyway, that coupled with a litany of glitches made me drop the game, but not with hard feelings. I think it has a lot going for it.

Blade Fantasia-Capcom (dropped)

This is a very nice-looking RPG from Capcom with a more fleshed-out battle system and a bit of story with decent-looking dialogue pictures for the characters. However, its social elements are weak and if I wanted to play an RPG, this would rank very low on the list...so yeah, not worth my time. Also, I hate the main character. If I had been able to create my own, I might have stuck with it longer.

Melpharia March-Square Enix (Dropped)
An adorable 2D RTS game that was fun to play, but had grossly unresponsive menus and long loading time. It actually seemed pretty decent, but I don't have patience for things like that in games that I'm only playing for a few minutes at a time.

Otoranger (Capcom) (Still playing-on hold)
This is a music game from Capcom with a super sentai theme. All of the (many) characters come from multicolored, usually music-themed teams. You have magical girl teams and idols from hell and lots of cool-looking monster people bands and...yes. Great great great characters. The game itself is fairly fun, especially the challenge levels, which really get you tapping like a lunatic. On the downside, it's very difficult to manage your team cost and you have to level up a lot to use the stronger units. Also, although you are 100% in control of what beats you hit or miss, there are a lot of walls that you simply cannot overcome until you get a stronger team. Because of the strict team cost requirements, the game kind of shoots itself in the foot for taking your money, as even if you get a super cool character, you're likely to be unable to use it. So yeah, fun game, cute world, bad difficulty balance. I still log in every day for my bonuses, but I don't play the game often...partially because I have to put on headphones to do so, so it feels like a "commitment."

Divine Gate- Acquire (still playing-on hold)

This is Gung-Ho's big "followup" to Puzzle and Dragon, which uses a sort of rapid-fire card matching RPG battle system. The artwork is SUPER CUTE and they have a lot of anime collaborations (Stein's Gate, Fairy Tail and right now, Shingeki no Kyojin). I like the game's system okay, but they're very greedy with bonuses, harsh on team cost and super unreasonably harsh on how long it takes you to level your characters. Like, if you're "lucky" enough to get a "+1" character, which literally has ONE MORE STAT POINT in a pool of 1000+, it takes exponentially more XP to level them. Like so much that you might as well quit the game, which I almost did. Still, it looks slick, is reasonably fun and is worth a try, though it does demand a bit of your time, as some of the levels can be a bit long for this sort of game.

Sangokushi Rumble- Square Enix (still playing-on hold)
This is the first good example I have of a non-game presented successfully. You have 6 units that you arrange in a grid. They have a rock-paper-scissors strength and weakness system and some can attack from back rows (archers, mages, etc.) Battles are in real-time with enemies running at you in waves. You do nothing but decide when to use your special moves. Each unit has one and you share a gauge that fills up over time. Battles are fast and there is little to do.

However, the game is a success, because its online elements are so strong. It's fairly generous with its free stuff and is constantly running different promotions. If you want to spend money, they have frequent "first-time" bonuses on gacha, where you can get 11 rare pulls for 850 yen. HUGELY cheaper than something like Puzzle and Dragon. There are also lots of limited-time challenges to try your hand at, many of which drop seasonal items you can spend on special gacha. You also have a team with ranks and battle against other teams in a simulated vs mode (the other teams are real, but they're not being played by anyone live). There's a good pacing to the difficulty and you feel like you're in control of what you earn in the game.

The game is also full of great artwork and the concept behind the characters is "historical version/cute girl version/hot dude version." I felt like it was pretty even-handed and a lot of the artwork of the women in the game was superrrrr gorgeous, but it's delving into fanservice territory a bit much now. It was classy-sexy before and now we're getting "98% naked with boobs as big as their head" kinds of things.

So yeah, not much of a game, but a nice low-commitment way to enjoy some lovely artwork.

On a side note, there's a nice balancing feature in the game where you "evolve" your units by merging them with the same unit again. This gives an advantage to less-rare units and a sort-of penalty to rarer ones. It also makes it less crushing when you get the same unit twice. You actually want that here.

Street Fighter X All Capcom- Capcom (playing)

Even moreso than Sangokushi Rumble, this is the worst game in the best package. It's kind of just a Capcom nostalgia machine where you hit the "more" button from time to time. It plays Guile's theme INCESSANTLY. It plays the Wily stage theme from Megaman 2 on special levels. Ken's theme for boss fights. They know their strengths!

The "stages" aren't even a game. You just press a "go" button and your character goes until they run out of stamina. Sometimes you run into barrels that give you new, useless characters. Mostly, you just get EXP. Eventually you reach a boss.

Battles are played with a team of 8 characters, each with an innate skill that requires careful arrangement of your team. For example, you'll have characters that do DEF 20% up with a 65% chance to the character in front of them.. or 20% attack to the right and left. Some characters affect the entire team, or just characters of a certain color (red, green or blue). Roll, for example, does an 8% attack up to all reds.

You create two teams...one for bosses and one to fight against other players. The battles play themselves. Once you've arranged your team, you've done your part. The animations can even be skipped.

Your favorite character decides your team. I'm on team Gyakuten Saiban. I feel sorry for Team Son-Son (they really should combine some of these). You have a smaller team you're randomly assigned to after that, and then a "circle", which is like a small group of friends that you can unlock stat boosts for.

All of these groups compete and all of them are ranked. You have an individual ranking in each category as well. Each day, your team is pit against another team in a series of boss battles. In the "stages", you sometimes randomly run into a boss, which is then sent to the front page for anyone in your team/the opposing team to fight. You go 5 turns against it, but it takes many many more to defeat it. If the other team is winning, you might want to expend items to keep fighting it and win the points for yourself/your team. The game showers you with rewards for every victory and you get huge rewards at the end of every week, when they do a weekly ranking. The social aspects are far-reaching and well-implemented. The real-time competition aspect motivates me to keep at it as does the extremely small commitment the game requires.

There are certainly some problems, though. For example, many of the rewards you get are awful and useless. You get coins for various different gacha machines and really only the gold and platinum ones are worth a damn. The bronze ones are more like a CURSE, since the drops from them are completely useless and you can only have so many of them in your inventory before they start clogging up your reward box. This is compounded by the problem that rare cards are fairly easy to acquire and team cost is EXTREMELY LENIENT. Like, even if I had all Super Rare cards, I don't think I could fill my team cost. It used to be harsher, but then they patched it to its current, broken state. The result is that all of the lower-level cards are completely useless. So they made tons and tons of artwork for cards that no one will ever use for more than like...a few days. Nice job.

Also annoying are the fucking barrels that give you these useless cards. Finding a barrel is like a curse. It's like: Barrel...loading...do you want to break the barrel...can't say no...loading...press again for a breaking animation...loading...shows you your useless card...loading. I HATE that you can't say "no". This hate is compounded by the fact that there are rare barrels with actually useful cards that can only be broken with silver and gold hammers (which can be purchased). However, even if you have no silver or gold hammers, you can't NOT break the barrel. Instead you have to select the hammer that DOESN'T WORK and watch it FAIL TO BREAK THE BARREL. Then, after more loading, the game kindly tells you that you failed to break the barrel (no shit) and you tear your iPhone in half. Seriously Capcom, what the hell?

WonderFlick- Level 5 (pending)

This is a great-looking game with an Uematsu soundtrack and a super-cute character creator and GLITCHES GLITCHES GLITCHES rendering it unplayable. They've updated a few times since I got the "prelude" version, so it might be decent now. Who knows.

On a side note
I know it was free for a while and pay for a while, but I like Square-Enix's Bloodmasque, which is available in America. I would say it's worth it for the soundtrack alone, almost. If you haven't heard of it, the game lets you take a photo of yourself and stretch it over your render. It will undoubtedly make you look ugly, but it's fun...and there are lots and lots of people who use pictures of their pets...for their face.

So I say, get a iTunes card (I get mine from j-list) and try some games out. You do have to have a paid card to sign up for a Japanese account, since they don't accept foreign credit cards, but they aren't that expensive and it opens up a world of little things to try for free or for money.

karasu99
1286th Post

"Re(4):HEY POLLY" , posted Mon 6 Jan 09:53post reply

quote:
IMPORT IOS GAME RANT

Sorry it took a while to write back despite having asked for the info in the first place. Thanks for talking at length about these, and in the future, feel free to rant about anything and everything, since like you've said elsewhere, we have pretty similar taste it seems, and I'll at least enjoy reading about it (I'm sure the rest of Cafe goers will as well).

I'm still unfortunately on the fence about SF X All Capcom, since what attracts me is almost exclusively new artwork of obscure characters, some of whom I'm not sure will obtainable short of sinking a ton of money into it, which I probably not be willing to do.

On the other hand, I had been more lukewarm about Sangokushi Rumble before your writeup, but afterward I feel like I might enjoy it quite a bit!

It's pretty funny that for the most part I just reject many US iOS games out of hand (even funnier since I'm as iOS developer), since they always always always come across as money grabs of the most puerile sort, especially the free to play ones. If not for how strong console and non-phone portable releases are these days I might be more worried about video game quality going into the toilet. Somehow, though, Japanese games at least seem likely to give you quite a bit of nice art to look at in between outrageous plays of getting you to open your wallet. So, given your info, I'll take the plunge into the Japanese app store and see if it stands up.

quote:
So I say, get a iTunes card (I get mine from j-list) and try some games out. You do have to have a paid card to sign up for a Japanese account, since they don't accept foreign credit cards, but they aren't that expensive and it opens up a world of little things to try for free or for money.

Thanks for the tip about j-list. I didn't know them at all until you mentioned them, but their prices on PSN cards are also pretty competitive. 3000 yen sounds like it would last forever in the app store (it won't).

www.secret-arts.com

Gojira
3007th Post

"Everybody Basara" , posted Tue 7 Jan 08:14post reply

More familiar characters in SB4

I'm sure a lot of them are just NPCs now, but it's nice to see that they're back anyway. I hope that isn't all of them though, since I didn't see Muneshige.

Iggy
9710th Post

"Re(1):Everybody Basara" , posted Tue 7 Jan 08:29post reply

quote:
I'm sure a lot of them are just NPCs now, but it's nice to see that they're back anyway. I hope that isn't all of them though, since I didn't see Muneshige.

He's there, just after Ôtomo, in an amazing Zabii suit.
Everyone from 3 Utage is playable except Kenshin, Kasuga, the Maeda couple and Shingen. Hôjô (and the 5 mobosses) have been cut out.

Gojira
3008th Post

"Re(2):Everybody Basara" , posted Tue 7 Jan 12:12post reply

I guess I can live without Ujimasa but I will greatly miss the enka.

quote:

He's there, just after Ôtomo, in an amazing Zabii suit.

MOEEEEE~

HAYATO
1164th Post

"IGS and Cave emulation news" , posted Wed 8 Jan 01:39post reply

Now that we are talking about different Musou incarnations, and given the great appreciation many Cafers have for Chinese historical brawlers, I think some of you may find the latest IGS emulation exploits mildly interesting: Shen Jian/ Road of the Sword/ The Gladiator, reached playable status on the latest MAME/UME official build. Plus, its emulation led to a better understanding of the PGM board and thus, to improvements on Oriental Legend Plus and Knights of Valour 2 as well.

And at last,after so many years of waiting, MAME/ UME officially supports Cave SH3 games now! That means the following games reached playable status (on custom MAME/UME builds which include the new cv1k.c driver, and on the latest version of MAMEPlus):

-Dodonpachi Dai-fukkatsu 1.0
-Dodonpachi Dai-fukkatsu 1.5
-Espgaluda II
-Ibara Kuro Black Label
-Pink Sweets Ibara Sorekara XX
-Death Smiles MegaBlack Label
-Mushihime-Sama Futari Black Label
-Muchi Muchi Pork
-Puzzle! Mushihime-Tama
-Medal Mahjong Moukari Bancho

What a wonderful New Year present for Danmaku lovers and 2D Chinese Brawler fans alike!

karasu99
1288th Post

"Re(1):IGS and Cave emulation news" , posted Wed 8 Jan 01:54:post reply

quote:
Now that we are talking about different Musou incarnations, and given the great appreciation many Cafers have for Chinese historical brawlers, I think some of you may find the latest IGS emulation exploits mildly interesting: Shen Jian/ Road of the Sword/ The Gladiator, reached playable status on the latest MAME/UME official build. Plus, its emulation led to a better understanding of the PGM board and thus, to improvements on Oriental Legend Plus and Knights of Valour 2 as well.

And at last,after so many years of waiting, MAME/ UME officially supports Cave SH3 games now! That means the following games reached playable status (on custom MAME/UME builds which include the new cv1k.c driver, and on the latest version of MAMEPlus):

-Dodonpachi Dai-fukkatsu 1.0
-Dodonpachi Dai-fukkatsu 1.5
-Espgaluda II
-Ibara Kuro Black Label
-Pink Sweets Ibara Sorekara XX
-Death Smiles MegaBlack Label
-Mushihime-Sama Futari Black Label
-Muchi Muchi Pork
-Puzzle! Mushihime-Tama
-Medal Mahjong Moukari Bancho

What a wonderful New Year present for Danmaku lovers and 2D Chinese Brawler fans alike!

Hahaha, that's especially great news given that a few of those games have never been released for the X360 in Japan (my secret shame). Ibara Kuro I'm especially looking forward to, especially since the PS2 version is one of those games with a true LOL price (when you can even find it).

I've lost track of MAME over the years, especially since the romsets for some of my favorite early 80's games completely changed at some point, rendering my existing sets useless (and the new sets are really hard to track down), but I may have to look into this.

Thanks for posting, and I keep forgetting that you're a danmaku fan as well!

EDIT: Oh, and I keep meaning to post about the new US 3DS demo for Bravely Default that came out not long ago. I had already planned on getting the game when I heard it was being localized, especially since folks here had loved it so much, but WOW, I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying the demo. I'm sure it has nothing to do with its similarities to Final Fantasy V or anything

www.secret-arts.com

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Wed 8 Jan 04:06]

HAYATO
1165th Post

"Re(2):IGS and Cave emulation news" , posted Wed 8 Jan 04:44post reply

quote:
I've lost track of MAME over the years, especially since the romsets for some of my favorite early 80's games completely changed at some point, rendering my existing sets useless (and the new sets are really hard to track down), but I may have to look into this.

Yeah, the same happened to me: my PC specs were so low that I couldn't even run half the current romset. To add insult to injury, a HDD crash left me without 200 GB of valuable gaming material (namely, complete arcade and console romsets) and I lost the little motivation I had to start my romhunting again and decided to spend my gaming time with my PS3. Now that I finally upgraded my graphics card and tossed some extra RAM into my uber PC (judging by 2008 standards, that is) I thought it was about damn time I get into arcade emulation once more...

Ishmael
4799th Post

"Re(1):IGS and Cave emulation news" , posted Thu 9 Jan 04:34post reply

quote:

The only thing I enjoy more than beating up endless waves of dudes is walking from left to right while beating up dudes. Thanks for mentioning this since this emulated game of many names looks like just the sort of thing I would love.

Gojira
3009th Post

"Re(1):IGS and Cave emulation news" , posted Thu 9 Jan 07:14post reply

quote:

Thanks for the tip. Never played any Polygame titles so these are fun to try out. Though I gotta say the way various things in the game are designed it's definitely good that I never played it in the arcade. So many symptoms of a frustrating brawler present in there.

I'll add that Spectral vs. Generation also seems to work pretty well in spite of MAME saying that it's "not working."

Spoon
2534th Post

"Re(2):IGS and Cave emulation news" , posted Thu 9 Jan 10:01post reply

quote:

I'll add that Spectral vs. Generation also seems to work pretty well in spite of MAME saying that it's "not working."

I'll add that Spectral vs. Generation is terrible and once glitched out on my modded PS2 such that it became hitbox-only fighting and was terrible/awesome.

HAYATO
1167th Post

"Re(3):IGS and Cave emulation news" , posted Thu 9 Jan 21:29:post reply

Since the launch of their own arcade hardware back in 1996 (the PGM board series), IGS has become one of the most respectable developers into the field of 2D brawlers and action side scrollers. In addition, they usually make more than one revision for each game they release (constantly adding new charachters, paths and secrets on them), they develop their own obscure and missed hardware (PGM 3 was released just some months ago)... IMHO, IGS has become today's equivalent to 90s Capcom and SNK, and now that CPS-3 got emulated they have become, along with Cave, the only two companies whose arcade games' emulation I'm genuinely interested in.

Theirs are some of the most entertaining games I've ever played on MAME (as they never received any console port, aside from Spectral vs Generation and Cave games running under PGM hardware such as Ketsui or Dodonpachi Daioujoh). Any Chinese folk lover should try their wonderful Three Kingdoms-based beat'em ups (Knights of Valour series) or their "Once upon a Time in China"-inspired, VS fighting masterpiece Martial Masters. There's a list of IGS' most notable PGM works available in MAME, sorted by genre (sequels or improvements over the same game come after the "/" mark and red titles show my personal faves):

VS Fighting games:

- The Killing Blade/ TKB Plus
- Martial Masters
- Spectral vs Generation

Beat'em ups:

- Oriental Legend
- Knights of Valour/ KoV Superheroes
- Knights of Valour 2 - Nine Dragons/ KoV-ND 2 Plus
- The Gladiator: Road of the Sword

Run and Gun side scrollers:

- Demon Front

Sadly, Poly Game Master 2 emulation is still under development, so we'll have to wait some time before we can play some of their finest creations: "Journey to the West"-centric Oriental Legend 2 and Knights of Valour 3. I had the privilege to play OL 2 in Akiba's Hey! about 5 years ago and to this day, I just can't describe with words how awesome it was!

[this message was edited by HAYATO on Thu 9 Jan 21:30]

exodus
4293th Post

"Re(4):IGS and Cave emulation news" , posted Fri 10 Jan 06:14post reply

I'm a particular fan of the bizarre animation in Martial Masters. I'm hoping to get a PGM some day... I almost did some work for IGS, and was hoping they could pay me in arcade stuff :3

Professor
3983th Post

MMCafe Owner

"MOMO IS BACK" , posted Wed 15 Jan 17:53post reply

http://www.wondermomo.jp/

Spoon
2541th Post

"Re(1):MOMO IS BACK" , posted Thu 16 Jan 06:02post reply

quote:

karasu
1293th Post

"Re(2):MOMO IS BACK" , posted Thu 16 Jan 07:00post reply

quote:

Agreed! Womdermomo is inexplicably fantastic! I guess this is why Momo wasn't included in Namco High, eh?

www.secret-arts.com

exodus
4303th Post

"Re(3):MOMO IS BACK" , posted Thu 16 Jan 07:02post reply

but what isssssssssssss itttttttttttttt

nobinobita
1241th Post

"Re(4):MOMO IS BACK" , posted Thu 16 Jan 08:08:post reply

quote:

Whatever it is, it looks like it's based off of Omar Dogan's Wonder Momo comic

http://omar-dogan.deviantart.com/art/Wonder-Momo-296417489

You can read it here:
http://www.shiftylook.com/comics/wondermomo/in-the-spotlight

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 16 Jan 08:10]

Gojira
3011th Post

"Re(4):MOMO IS BACK" , posted Thu 16 Jan 15:05post reply

quote:

Wasn't there speculation that it's a mobile game? Especially consider what they did for Bravoman.

Spoon
2542th Post

"Re(5):MOMO IS BACK" , posted Thu 16 Jan 15:48post reply

quote:
Especially consider what they did for Bravoman.

I'm going to pretend I didn't see that and that it doesn't exist.

Loona
731th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

"Re(3):MOMO IS BACK" , posted Fri 17 Jan 17:15post reply

quote:
I guess this is why Momo wasn't included in Namco High, eh?

Those things aren't mutually exclusive, Anti-Bravoman (originally black Bravo, I think, but the comic went for a sillier approch) from the Bravoman comic is both in the game and Namco High.
Wonder Momo just has a much much smaller core cast, something even Namco X Capcom had problems with, and probably why the comic starts the daughter of the original in order to expand the cast a bit more freely, if not by much - not many characters left that work decently outside their own context.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

karasu
1297th Post

"Re(4):MOMO IS BACK" , posted Sat 18 Jan 06:43post reply

quote:
I guess this is why Momo wasn't included in Namco High, eh?

Those things aren't mutually exclusive, Anti-Bravoman (originally black Bravo, I think, but the comic went for a sillier approch) from the Bravoman comic is both in the game and Namco High.
Wonder Momo just has a much much smaller core cast, something even Namco X Capcom had problems with, and probably why the comic starts the daughter of the original in order to expand the cast a bit more freely, if not by much - not many characters left that work decently outside their own context.

I'm still going to take a deep breath, close my eyes, and think only of the Namco Encore disc version of Wondermomo, which I still have a strangely nostalgic view of, despite having played it long after its arcade release.

I also hold Taizo Hori as the hallmark for Namco playing around with their older franchises. Wondermomo can't be that much harder to deal with.

www.secret-arts.com

Ishmael
4806th Post

"Re(5):MOMO IS BACK" , posted Fri 24 Jan 01:42post reply

Since everything that is old is new again, the spiritual sequel to the NES version of Strider looks to be coming along nicely. While I have an irrational love for the NES Strider I never imagined that someone would actually make another Strider game in that mold. I don't know if the game is going to be good but seeing as how it has the Tong Poo girls and attack boots I know I'm going to love it regardless.

Maese
730th Post

"Re(1):MOMO IS BACK" , posted Fri 24 Jan 11:33:post reply

quote:

Wonder Momo! I didn't see that coming! On an almost unrelated note, it took me a while, but finally I realize where this whole Momoiro Clover: Weekend Heroines business drags inspiration from. Now they look even more amazing to me, actually.

Also, Basara 4 is finally out! Anyone has tried it yet? Yesterday somebody was playing it at my office and, from what I could see, graphics were pretty much the same as 3, and the new enemy formations were mere cosmetic additions with no real impact on the gameplay whatsoever. I know that expecting innovation or variety on a Musou-esque game is naive beyond redemption, but still...

[this message was edited by Maese on Fri 24 Jan 11:33]

Ishmael
4807th Post

"Re(2):MOMO IS BACK" , posted Fri 24 Jan 23:56post reply

quote:
Also, Basara 4 is finally out! Anyone has tried it yet? Yesterday somebody was playing it at my office and, from what I could see, graphics were pretty much the same as 3, and the new enemy formations were mere cosmetic additions with no real impact on the gameplay whatsoever. I know that expecting innovation or variety on a Musou-esque game is naive beyond redemption, but still...

I would like to try Basara 4 but I'm probably going to wait for the inevitable expansion instead of jumping on the import. Until then I can be amused by the news that Date has all sorts of groovy outfits including a snappy looking Dante alt. while Yukimura is reduced to wearing Date's old clothes. Sorry Yukimura, you may have been the poster boy for the series a long time ago but the only reason you're still in the game is for shipping purposes.

karasu
1302th Post

"No more US Cave" , posted Tue 28 Jan 04:57post reply

I just saw this bit of really unfortunate news. Most here won't be that interested, but I thought I'd lament having to probably start importing their games again, but now that I think of it, Cave's Japan release schedule has been noticeably thin in the few years or so, with only the disappointing Dodonpachi Saidaioujou coming to mind. I guess the western release of Akai Katana didn't do as well as expected?

www.secret-arts.com

exodus
4307th Post

"Re(1):No more US Cave" , posted Tue 28 Jan 05:17post reply

quote:
I just saw this bit of really unfortunate news. Most here won't be that interested, but I thought I'd lament having to probably start importing their games again

this just means they're shutting down their blog, not necessarily that their US office is closing, or that they won't release games in western territories anymore. you might still get to play these things in english, maybe!

Spoon
2547th Post

"Re(1):No more US Cave" , posted Tue 28 Jan 06:33post reply

quote:
I just saw this bit of really unfortunate news. Most here won't be that interested, but I thought I'd lament having to probably start importing their games again, but now that I think of it, Cave's Japan release schedule has been noticeably thin in the few years or so, with only the disappointing Dodonpachi Saidaioujou coming to mind. I guess the western release of Akai Katana didn't do as well as expected?

I really liked the lower-tech and more Jules Verne-ish aesthetic of Progear, so I'll have to check out Akai Katana sometime... i totally forgot about it!

karasu
1303th Post

"Re(2):No more US Cave (blog)" , posted Tue 28 Jan 06:37post reply

quote:
this just means they're shutting down their blog, not necessarily that their US office is closing, or that they won't release games in western territories anymore. you might still get to play these things in english, maybe!

Hmm, that's a good point, now that you mention it-- I originally saw the story reported elsewhere, where the tone was much more grave than it needed to be, it sounds like. Then I jumped hopelessly to conclusions!

www.secret-arts.com

exodus
4309th Post

"Re(3):No more US Cave (blog)" , posted Tue 28 Jan 06:59post reply

quote:

Hmm, that's a good point, now that you mention it-- I originally saw the story reported elsewhere, where the tone was much more grave than it needed to be, it sounds like. Then I jumped hopelessly to conclusions!

yeah, I am kind of surprised (and yet not at all surprised) so many outlets reported on this without asking Cave for more info about future implications of this.

Iggy
9717th Post

"tl;dr post about Basara 4" , posted Tue 28 Jan 09:44post reply

So after spending the week-end on Basara 4, I found out it was quite an interesting shift in the series.
To jump to the conclusion: if you haven't played Utage (or even better, if you haven't even played 3) and you want a good and stupid action game (emphasis on "action") with a lot of characters (32!) that control vastly differently, with plenty of silly jokes, some grinding and some creativity, you should definitely give the game a try.
If you have played Utage, maybe wait for a while. I'm not sure if a 4++ version is coming or if they are going to deliver the additional pieces via DLC, but there is some content blatantly missing. The game does offer a huge package though, more or less on par with Utage and much more than 3. The campaign mixes the regular "conquer all Japan" from Utage with some "branching into scenario sequence
" from 3, and strikes a very good balance (except for the character who don't get any scenario branch because their time under the spotlight has passed)
It is, however, extremely close to 3 and Utage in term of controls, and the engine is exactly the same. Since the characters are the core of the game, you are basically trading the 6 not-completely finished characters from Utage against 8 new finished ones (3 returning from Basara 2 adapted in the new engine, and 5 brand new ones), 42 new stages (in my opinion some of the best of the series) and the promise of maybe something more if/when Capcom decides to update the store. All returning characters are identical, and none of them got any new move. Your call, really.

--------------

Now, for the in-depth bits.
The jump between 2 and 3 was huge in terms of gameplay. It upgraded a nice shallow game into a full-fledged action game that could almost pass for a dumbed-down DMC, where each weapon would be an independent and charismatic character with its own system (and 32 dumbed-down DMC-ish characters is much better then what most non-Platinum action games offer). The gap with Musou became a huge rift, for the better.
The rest remained exceptionally similar: same system of progression between the difficulty levels, same system of similar items obtained in the shop or the stages, same system of weapons upgraded according to the difficulty levels with slots to equip the items...

4 is making the same amount of changes, but in the menu side instead of the action side. As I said, the game controls almost the same as 3 baring a few minor updates on blocking, evasion rolls, partner, and the possibility to use even more moves simultaneously. However, all the menus got entirely changed, and sometimes, you can't shake the feeling that they replaced something that wasn't broken with something... that still needs quite a lot of polish.

I haven't played a lot of Musô games, but I am sure I have seen some of those new things in those: the weapons are consumables that you fusion in order to get the best enchantments all on the same weapon; the enchantments replace the old items; you get "free" XP that you can use on any character (so you can take a character you just unlocked and make him level 50 immediately if you have the XP available)...
Another new thing: the way you perform in the stage controls what you receive at the end: at the beginning, you can see a table "at 1000 points you'll get this, at 3000 points you'll get that, at 10000 points you'll get that..." and each action within the stage gives you some points that help you reach the highest price. Generally, getting the 3rd price is easy, but the two highest require to pay attention to what you're doing, either by keeping the combo counter rolling, opening all the boxes, achieving each stage's hidden objectives, fighting very well with a lot of blocking, basara moves, etc, etc.

The new weapon system is clearly unbalanced and boring, as it is quite easy to create a very strong weapon with the materials obtained by finishing the game in normal and hard with one character, and I'm not sure getting the additional bonuses of higher difficulty levels are going to improve it that much.
It also adds a layer of inventory micromanagement whose absence we didn't know we enjoyed very much in previous games.
On top of that, exchanging all the pretty and easily recognisable icons with kanjis was not a smart idea. And you obviously lose the flexibility of changing the items you want to equip before each map, or having all characters accessing the same pool of unlocked items.
Oh, and worse change yet? They removed each character's special item that had been a stable in the series; they were either laughingly useless (Oichi who was one of the strongest characters in 3 could waste 4 item slots to resurrect once if she manages to die, yeay) or hilariously broken (your charging character doesn't need to charge anything to make all his moves max-powered, or the insane power-up mode that you can only keep for a few seconds and drained your life while active becomes perpetual and free), but they added a huge amount of personality to each character, and they are sorely missed. Their removal also hurt several characters that needed the boost deeply, like Ieyasu or Tenkai. I really, really hope they find a way of reintroducing them to the game in an elegant fashion.

Some good things, though: since the weapons don't have any particular stat, they become entirely cosmetic and you can pick any of the 7 designs and raise it to the max (no more stuck with an ugly sword "because it's the best").
Other objects have moved to a different category: it is for example possible to select some perks for each level, some entirely positive (start with your Basara max, deal more damage to the boss, show the 尋ね者 (whose system has also been revamped with a 尋ね者 bingo system) on the map...) some with a drawback (you get more XP but the enemy's life regenerate, you get more money but each time you're hit you lose half of it, etc). It's also where you can select the music you want to play in the stage (up to 3) and if you want your soldiers to say special things (cheering, being depressed, having a drink with pretty girls, listening to Ôshû's twitter radio, or to Naoe Kanetsugu's self narrated 無敵伝説). The good part is that all these elements would have taken an item slot in past games, and thus were rarely used; the fact that there are dedicated slots for these now allow to take them more freely used.

The new characters are all nice and well done, there is not much to say about them. Like with each new batch of characters in each new game, what they lose in term of wacky designs (who clearly peaked in the first game; as Polly said when they first showed Sakon and Shibata, Capcom drew so much inspiration from Musô they now copy their bland and uninspired designs) they gain in control systems that make them even more interesting to control then the characters from the previous batch.
Sakon is the new Fûma, with stance switching on top of the fast aerial moves; Shibata needs to charge the rotation of his weapon to keep going, and thus find opening within his own combos to charge more; Shikanosuke is partly about controlling the deer's movements (the obviously stronger and cleverer half of the duo) and partly about noticing all the references to Saint Seiya and Meitantei Conan (even the first measures of his theme sound like those of a Saint Seiya opening), etc etc. Hanbê, Hideyoshi and Nagamasa all transition nicely in the post-Basara 3 system, and all are a blast to play as.
However, Matsu, Shingen, Kenshin and Kasuga are back to being non-playable => 2/10, no buy until the next DLC.

So what is so interesting about a game that seem to downgrade one thing every time it upgrades another?
Obviously, the last thing I haven't covered: the stages.
We are back to 3's system of having forts all around the place that you need to destroy to go forward, but with much more variety. Some stages have gates you can only unlock by taking the forts, and play just like 3. Some others look a lot more like 2's stages, with the forts being just extra objectives on the map while you can rush to the boss almost immediately, or, like in Shikanosuke's stage, coexisting with another progression system altogether (finding and killing 9 guardians that are surfing throughout the stage, because sandsurfing is the best way to avoid wild desert tigers when you stink of deer). Some stages have a timer and you need to reach the end before the boss wakes up or some other nonsense. Some stages, like in some of the biggest stages in 2, have some actual level design in order to make them linear yet challenging and last long without the artificial barrier of the forts. Some other stages (most notably the Kyôto matsuri stage) pack up a huge amount of goons in a confined area for you to combo into oblivion, or get crushed under mountains of sweaty dancers. Some stages are hugely gimmicky and have hilarious (or obnoxious, according to your tastes) mini-games that need to be played along (my favourite is the giant rotating Shingen Statues that require you to reach them while they are watching away, and freeze when they look in your direction, while Shingen's army chants 親方様が転んだ at various speeds to make you fail - basically playing sengoku 1-2-3-Soleil)
There has been complains about the game having less enemies than previous games, and that is indeed true in most stages. However, stages like the Matsuri having as many or even more show it was a design decision, not a technical limitation. The most surprising evolution of Basara is the huge improvement in goons types, attack patterns, IA and strategy, to the point that if you simply go forward and press square mindlessly in certain stages, you will very likely be killed without even reaching the middle boss. In other terms, after all these years, a Musou clone finally made the mobs a real threat! It's refreshing to pay attention to the kind of mobs walking towards you, and think about the strategy you need to pick to survive, according to your character's moveset.

Finally, another type of stage appears, that one totally new in Basara yet heavily inspired by Musou: the stages where you need to keep your eyes on the map at all time to react to the enemy's progression and sneaky surprise attacks in the middle of the round, and move quickly from one angle of the map to the other. Unsurprisingly, they are the only maps with a horse (except yet another boring race against Masamune, this time in a maze to make it even worse), whose use is this time very Musou-ish: a fast transportation device to react to unexpected events throughout the level. This coupled with the increased IA and attack patterns of the enemies makes for real challenge at adequate difficulty, mixing Basara's best action with Musou's best strategy.
So all in all, these extremely varied stages make the core of Basara 4's experience, and I keep my fingers crossed for Capcom to add more stages down the road. Paradoxically, I also want some stages from Basara 2 and 3 to come back, and I would gladly pay for them as it may solve 4's biggest problem: not all types of stages will click with everyone (notwithstanding the masses that simply wanted an easy game with hordes of passive goons on xanax to kill like sheep at a slaughterhouse), and one person's favourite stage could become another's bane. If 42 stages is a lot, divided by roughly 4 types of levels, it doesn't leave much variety if you only like one of the flavours of the challenges.

So, yeah, I like the new direction the series, even if we're not quite there yet.
Also, since it's a 2014 Capcom game, of course it has plenty of DLC; fortunately, none of them (for the moment) is necessary. Most seem to be about unlocking stuff faster (having all the characters from the start, get plenty of moneys, receive already forged super powerful weapons...), or in other terms "pay to get some fun sucked out of the game".
70 musical themes from previous games (including the PSP ones or ArcSys' fighting game) are also available in case you want some variety (but the game already has plenty on its own, including a lot of remix-straight up ports from 3). Finally, you get DLC clothes, which, while expensive (300 yens) fortunately come on top of the regular set of alternate outfits you unlock for each character by finishing a campaign (and the ones in the game are better than 3's horrendous ones, so everybody wins!).

All in all, the package is quite tight as it is, and I'm afraid it's going to be difficult to provide enough new stuff to warrant a new full-price Basara 4 Utage edition in one year. If you're hesitant, it might not be a bad idea to wait a year anyway: even if nothing comes, you'll have a better view of what amount of content have been added via DLC in the meantime and whether Kasuga and Maria have been made available or not. Since if you care about Basara, you obviously don't plan to jump to the next-gen bandwagon and will probably still keep your PS3 for quite some time. After all, the game is probably a way for Capcom to go through the difficult console generation shift in Japan, and I think it has played out quite nice for the series.
And even if it hasn't and Basara dies with this game, like Onimusha (more or less died) on PS2... well, it was a fun ride, and every (major release) was worth it, including this one.

Ishmael
4810th Post

"Re(1):tl;dr post about Basara 4" , posted Wed 29 Jan 01:32post reply

quote:
So after spending the week-end on Basara 4, I found out it was quite an interesting shift in the series.

Thanks for the review! I don't know when I will get around to Basara 4 at least I know that there's some good -and some bad- stuff waiting for me.

While I don't have such an impressive review to post I did want to say a few words about a game I've been playing recently: Shinobi 3. Yeah, I'm on the bleeding edge when it comes to my game selection.

Since I've somehow never managed to play Shinobi 3 I felt I should finally do something to rectify that situation. I'm not certain what took me so long to get around to playing the game since not only does it seem to be very solid but it stars a ninja. I miss the days when every other game starred a ninja or at least featured barrels full of ninja jumping all over the screen. Luckily for me I have both this game and the new Strider to play so I'm going to have plenty of ninja in my future. Forget the year of the Horse, 2014 is going to be Year of the Ninja. Hopefully this goes down better than the Year of Luigi since Mario's brother managed to flush Nintendo straight down the toilet during his time in the spotlight.

As for Shinobi 3 itself, it's pretty fun so far. Sonny Chiba clone Joe Musashi is very well animated, has a ton of moves and is very responsive. I haven't gotten too far yet but I'm having fun fiddling around and seeing how I can and can't attack and move around the levels.

Playing the game on the 3DS is a mixed bag. The 3D itself is very well done. Who knew such an old 2D game could undergo such an impressive conversion? I also appreciated the additions of unlimited continues and stage select. There's even an expert control setting for those that want their action to be less streamlined and more fiddly.

The trouble comes in from having an all-action game on the 3DS. Now I understand why most of the big games on handhelds are about the thrill of shifting menu tabs. There's something slightly awkward about getting out split-second movements when the control is attached to screen. Not only am I having to learn when to double tap to run but how to input the command in the most gentle manner possible. Getting used to the responsiveness of the 3DS is something I can learn but my other problem doesn't have such an easy solution; I don't like the ergonomic feel of the 3DS. It's okay when all I'm doing is shifting from a menu to a sub-menu but when I'm doing non-stop ninja stuff my hands start cramping up after one level. It turns out that the one thing that invincible video game ninja can't overcome is osteoarthritis.

Pollyanna
3603th Post

"Re(2):tl;dr post about Basara 4" , posted Wed 29 Jan 09:41post reply

quote:
Basara 4

Thanks for the in-depth and even-handed review Iggy. What I had read before was mostly just complaints about things that were different from the perspective of people who were too into the series for me to relate to. I hope that makes sense. Like a review from someone who had never played Basara would be useless to me, but a review from someone whose head is deep up the Basara anus might not offer a useful perspective either.

Anyway, I do think I'll sit out for a while and see how the DLC/new version situation evolves. Capcom's recent announcement of Monster Hunter 4G as well as their supposed financial woes gives me the impression that they may be milking their assets for another title sooner than later. I think I'll be enjoying my bloated backlog for the time being. (Wow. I have a way with words today. "Milking, bloated, anus")

I'm really excited about the stages and Shikanosuke though (especially after hearing his theme song). He looks like he might be my new favorite, which is quite an accomplishment.

I don't have anything useful to contribute to this conversation, but I really am grateful for the writeup, so I felt obligated to say something.

quote:
Ishmael and Shinobi III

So glad you picked this up for the first time! Having just played it myself, I feel like it holds up very well. With the controls (or just playing on 3DS) I had to tell myself that even if it's not ideal, it's probably still better than a Megadrive controller. Boy do I ever hate that soundtrack, though. If only I could take the Shinobi II soundtrack and stuff it in there.

Also, Sega's choice of skipping Shinobi II is frustrating, when we have both Sonic 1 and Streets of Rage 1. If they were going to skip to the sequel in any series, I would want it to be those two.

exodus
4310th Post

"wonder nono" , posted Wed 29 Jan 11:59post reply

oh nooooooooooo the wonder momo game is by wayforward.

another game to pretend doesn't exist!

Loona
733th Post

"Re(1):wonder nono" , posted Wed 29 Jan 13:05post reply

quote:
oh nooooooooooo the wonder momo game is by wayforward.

another game to pretend doesn't exist!

It would be easier if they weren't releasing an anime to go along with it, and both based on the webcomic that dropped the original protagonist for her daughter.
The hope now is that the original isn't entirely forgotten...

exodus
4311th Post

"Re(2):wonder nono" , posted Wed 29 Jan 14:51post reply

quote:

well, it's not like the original is that amazing... but I really don't like wayforward being the go-to for these awful retro throwbacks. (they might not be awful if wayforward weren't doing them)

Loona
734th Post

"Re(3):wonder nono" , posted Wed 29 Jan 17:25post reply

quote:

well, it's not like the original is that amazing... but I really don't like wayforward being the go-to for these awful retro throwbacks. (they might not be awful if wayforward weren't doing them)

Well, even something like Queen's Gate managed to extrapolate something interesting out of the limitations of the original, at least action-wise (Namco X Capcom couldn't fare as well with the very very limited setting though).
Changing what was originally a beat-em-up to a platformer is the weird choice here, time will tell how it ends up...

badoor
357th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):wonder nono" , posted Wed 29 Jan 22:48post reply

quote:

While I may not hate Wayforward, I do agree that a lot of their bad games get a pass simply because they're 2D platformers with sprites. And that's partial to Wayforward themselves in a way with their worst games (BloodRayne Betrayal. And I kinda didn't care much for the original GBC Shantae). They think that as long as they focus on drawing pixelated cute girls with lots of animation frames, the rest of the game is just secondary.

So in a sense, they are the perfect choice for Wonder Momo. Though I wish DreamRift would get some work.

http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/

karasu
1306th Post

"Re(4):wonder nono" , posted Thu 30 Jan 03:04post reply

quote:
Changing what was originally a beat-em-up to a platformer is the weird choice here, time will tell how it ends up...

I don't think it's so much an issue of changing the genre-- the original was a single-plane beat em up as it is, so platforming doesn't completely bust it. My only thought is that in a marketplace that's so saturated with 2D platformers at all, how will it distinguish itself in any way?

quote:

While I may not hate Wayforward, I do agree that a lot of their bad games get a pass simply because they're 2D platformers with sprites. And that's partial to Wayforward themselves in a way with their worst games (BloodRayne Betrayal. And I kinda didn't care much for the original GBC Shantae). They think that as long as they focus on drawing pixelated cute girls with lots of animation frames, the rest of the game is just secondary.

I agree entirely. I thought the... second? Shantae (I think it was the second game) was decent, but like you said, it's just a 2d platformer with sprites. They do a good job making a completely bland but in no way objectionable platformer, nothing more. BUT, I'm not sure that the game-playing community in general expects anything more out of their stuff than a pixelated cute girls with lots of animation frames.

But the whole question of 'wouldn't it be great if there was some innovation in 2d platformers' should probably be shelved for another day.

Oh, and the original Wondermomo was not bad at the time, but it definitely shows its age. It had big huge sprites though at a time before games like Cadash or the early NeoGeo stuff made them commonplace!

www.secret-arts.com

exodus
4313th Post

"Re(5):wonder nono" , posted Thu 30 Jan 04:00post reply

quote:
They do a good job making a completely bland but in no way objectionable platformer, nothing more.

yeah, to me that is the objectionable part. why make something bland? why would a studido that consistently does that keep getting work? It's frustrating, because they do have nice animation (a friend of mine did a fair bit of the animation for this new wonder momo), but what's the point if you don't put it in a good game? It's a waste of talent, and a waste of good licenses. Though I've never played mighty switch force, through everything else they've done I've never seen Wayforward make an actual *good* or even interesting game. They're probably my least favorite studio because of that.

chazumaru
1150th Post

"Re(6):wonder nono" , posted Thu 30 Jan 08:05post reply

quote:
why would a studio that consistently does that keep getting work?

Well, most likely because they are cheap and reliable? I guess your quixotic question wasn't necessarily calling for an obvious and pragmatic answer, but for the impressionable children watching at home who might take to your dangerously romantic ways too literally, reliability (= delivering on time and producing predictable quality) seems to be of upmost importance for most video game publishers. For instance and to play Devil's Advocate, I would argue it's probably much, much, much, much, infinite echo of the word much safer to hire WayForward than Platinum Games. I am not saying me or my employer would do that, if that specific choice ever came to be (weirder things have happened!), but I don't blame those who do, especially when the industry rewards its overstressed underpaid producers far more for not failing than for succeeding. And it seems that WayForward are one of the very few remaining successful 2D specialists in the traditional industry, keeping afloat the jobs of a few talented graphic artists who would otherwise have to switch to very different industries or take the risk of going indie, so I can't really blame anyone. But you can! And that makes you the special, rough diamond we love.

They did Contra 4, right? I was quite disappointed by that game, past the initial excitement.
I heard their Batman Brave & Bold game on Wii/DS was pretty good and bought it at launch; however I never played it.

I can't see how anyone has hope about this Wonder Momo, though, and my pessimism has nothing to do with WayForward.

Spoon
2548th Post

"Re(6):wonder nono" , posted Thu 30 Jan 09:56post reply

I think that Wayforward's games are mechanically uninteresting, and if they are interesting it's strictly because the games they are derived from (in the case that it's a remake) were interesting in the first place. They can make some lovely animations, but they are both too reverent/conservative with that material. I loved being re-acquainted with Ducktales because I am exactly the kind of sucker that they hoped a nicely animated, talking Scrooge McDuck would appeal to.

I have no idea how many people are excited by the Wonder Momo IP, but I'm going to guess it's a really small number. So I'm not sure what their strategy for it is; an IP few care about saddled with a humdrum game seems like a recipe for mediocrity at best. Wonder Momo wasn't altogether that mechanically interesting even in the year it was released, but there's always room for un-inspiration.

I'm foreseeing a game built on top of Double Dragon Neon.

Gojira
3014th Post

"Re(6):wonder nono" , posted Thu 30 Jan 10:56post reply

Well to answer why they get work, it's because their devotion to quality - at least on the surface - is very good. While I wouldn't go so far as to say they're bland by intention, I think the main problem with WayForward is just that their game design lacks the same spark that makes their visuals shine. Sometimes game designers become so lost in their own idealistic nostalgia that a lot of the things that they do become more like imitations of a genre's glory days than a new celebration of the things that make the genre great.

We've talked about Vanillaware a lot this past year and I feel like Wayforward is kind of like what Vanillaware could have become if Kamitani wanted to create something without knowing what made it great, and instead just threw art at a moving engine until there was enough to call it done.

badoor
360th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):wonder nono" , posted Thu 30 Jan 22:04post reply

quote:
why would a studio that consistently does that keep getting work?

Well, most likely because they are cheap and reliable?
That is very true. It's even obvious to me as a complete outsider. They always seem to have 3 to 4 ongoing announced projects simultaneously (they announced 2 Shantae games within weeks from each other). In 2011 they developed 9(!) games. And they make about 5 to 6 games a year. So that's commendable I suppose.
quote:
I think the main problem with WayForward is just that their game design lacks the same spark that makes their visuals shine.

Yep. I played a lot of WayForward games (I guess I'm a fan?) and they either are underwhelming copies of old games: Shantae, Contra, the first Adventure Time game, or Hotel Transylvania, which was pretty bland (Shantae on DSiWare is the best one of these). Or they are games with genuinely interesting new mechanics that just do not seem well thought-out. These are mainly Alien: Infestation and the Mighty Switch Force games.

Alien had limited number of lives, literally. The game had permadeath but you could play as long as there are marines in your party. Once all are dead, you had to start over. But it kind of didn't matter in the end since there were so many savepoints & health pick-ups in the game. It wasn't balanced at all to give the perma death part any relevance. Also, movement is a lot stiffer than you're standard 2D run-n-gun game. At first I thought "Prince of Persia but with guns? Cool" but it's even more stiff than that. You couldn't jump at all. So the map ended up being a boring series of hallways and ladders/elevators. Also, you could take-cover behind boxes and blindfire at Aliens. And because you mostly fight Aliens, it's nigh-useless. Yes, it may be a cool looking little sprite animation but why would anyone use that when fighting Aliens is beyond me. But I still liked Alien: Infestation attempt to try something weird and new for a "metroidvania" game. Also I am a big Alien fan.

Might Switch Force is 2 games built on a singular "block-shifting" idea that would probably be like cool idea number 5 in one level of a Treasure game. You also can jump and shoot in Mighty Switch Force but it is by no means a Mega Man-ish game. The shooting part only serves the puzzle platformer part in the rare parts its needed. The sequel changes the protagonist's gun into a fire-hose. And that's the only new thing they added. They're both still fun puzzle platformers though. And I like the music.

So that's my defense (apology?) on behalf of WayForward? Maybe?

http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/

exodus
4314th Post

"Re(8):wonder nono" , posted Fri 31 Jan 05:09post reply

my questions of course was rhetorical. I know exactly why they get work, and I probably couldn't say it without getting some people in trouble, but suffice it to say they are cheap, and because a lot of people are fooled by animation and nostalgia, their games are rated well, which means publishers still presume their games make money. I'll just leave that statement there for now.

As for whether they're keeping a set skill afloat, well, you could argue that. you could also argue that their studio is verrrrry close to one of the best animation schools in the world and college kids like the idea of working on games. I'll leave that statement there, too.

I feel that making a mediocre game, making a bland game, is worse than making a bad or interesting but flawed game. So while I understand that someone might make the choice to hire wayforward instead of platinum, that's the kind of choice made by a company that "needs to have X games out in this quarter," not by a company that wants to make a game because they want it to sell. and there are a lot of companies like that!

Gojira
3015th Post

"Re(9):wonder ff" , posted Fri 31 Jan 07:37post reply

quote:
my questions of course was rhetorical

Sorry, I knew that, I just felt like throwing something in there. I ramble a lot these days. But that's what the random thread is for, I think! (?)

Speaking of rambling, I can't say I have much interest in Lightning Returns anymore (even with the demo, which was not quite what I was hoping for) but this was pretty awesome.

chazumaru
1152th Post

"Re(9):wonder nono" , posted Fri 31 Jan 07:52:post reply

you could also argue that their studio is verrrrry close to one of the best animation schools in the world and college kids like the idea of working on games.

I obviously know the US West Coast development scene much less than you so, in your opinion and from your observations of the video game job hunting scene in California, how many of those kids would get a similar job anywhere else in the games industry fresh out of college? Isn't this exploitation part of the "system"?

From the elements of information you provided, my expectation would be that such a guy/girl with no previous experience would precisely have the opportunity to get a decent job at a better developer thanks to their time at WayForward, on the basis of the shared Metacritic-enforced perception that WayForward is a talented company. So, even if they indeed exploit young talents, it would be corruptly in the interest of those talents to maintain the illusion created by WayForward. It's like The Wire with nerds and vanity mugs. Am I missing an element here that makes my reasoning incorrect?

To be fair, your latest post implies that the questionable politics of the company influence your opinion on the worth of their actual output. And I am totally fine with, say, people struggling to appreciate Altman or Polansky movies on the basis of what they know about those two people.

That's the kind of choice made by a company that "needs to have X games out in this quarter," not by a company that wants to make a game because they want it to sell.

Unfortunately I am not sure Platinum Games qualifies for either goal but godspeed Bayonetta 2.

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Fri 31 Jan 07:55]

exodus
4316th Post

"Re(10):wonder nono" , posted Sat 1 Feb 18:28post reply

quote:
Isn't this exploitation part of the "system"?

oh, it is indeed, and I wouldn't judge their quality of output based on that. I judge the quality of their output base on the quality of their output, which speaks pretty well for itself :P

I think your reasoning is solid - but if those kids have actual talent, and there's a market for this sort of thing, they should be making their own companies and doing something better!

I've seen more people being successful by going off and doing their own thing than by joining some company, but that's a different story.

I will say that for all their faults, they do pay some friends of mine for contract work pretty frequently, but I wish they weren't the "only" 2D house in town.

I guess you're correct in that they're preserving something, in terms of classical animation in games, but they do such a bad job with the rest of it that they may as well not.

I wouldn't be so frustrated or critical if they ever made good games!

Maese
732th Post

"Americana Dawwwww" , posted Tue 4 Feb 15:47post reply

I suppose this is kind of old news but... Why hadn't I heard anything about this little jewel before? It looks more like a successor of Gensou Suikoden than anything Konami has pulled off on the last 10 years! It seems production began quite a while ago, so I wonder how had it managed to fly off my radar all this time.

A simple google image search for "Americana Dawn" has left me drooling over my laptop for hours on end. Even the semi-historical setting seems a clever choice with tons of potential for an epic, suikodenesque story. A lot of things could go horribly wrong, granted, but I can't wait to see the final result. Never heard about the people or the studio behind it, tough, and that English-Japanese bilingual website seems fishy. Does anybody know something more about the project, perchance?

HAYATO
1171th Post

"Re(1):Americana Dawwwww" , posted Tue 4 Feb 18:13:post reply

quote:
I suppose this is kind of old news but... Why hadn't I heard anything about this little jewel before? It looks more like a successor of Gensou Suikoden than anything Konami has pulled off on the last 10 years! It seems production began quite a while ago, so I wonder how had it managed to fly off my radar all this time.

It seems their creators aim for a freeware release in the near future, but they lack some funds to complete it. In case anyone interested would like to support them, they can do so by purchasing its arranged instrumental soundtrack.

Update: For further detail on production news, I'd suggest the project's Kickstarter entry

[this message was edited by HAYATO on Tue 4 Feb 18:27]

Pollyanna
3608th Post

"Re(2):Americana Dawwwww" , posted Tue 4 Feb 21:11post reply

quote:

It seems their creators aim for a freeware release in the near future, but they lack some funds to complete it. In case anyone interested would like to support them, they can do so by purchasing its arranged instrumental soundtrack.

I can't say much about the game yet other than that I like their approach to the character art, but this was an easy sell. Thanks to both of you for bringing this up.

karasu
1309th Post

"Re(3):Americana Dawwwww" , posted Wed 5 Feb 01:48post reply

quote:

Haha, this is fantastic! Thanks for mentioning it indeed! I think I saw something about this long ago but it wasn't nearly as polished, so I overlooked it. For some reason the character art reminds me a bit of Gekka no Kenshi. Very cool!

www.secret-arts.com

Gojira
3017th Post

"Re(2):Americana Dawwwww" , posted Wed 5 Feb 02:56:post reply

Nice job finding this. Reading through the Kickstarter page I'm pretty impressed with what I'm seeing. A dual-language game made in America? After all the bigoted crap on Twitter that Coca-cola got for translating "America the Beautiful" into other languages, this really helps improve my mood.

quote:

Aaand bought. I can't say I've heard of Shnabubula but hearing some of the familiar thematic strokes in those arrangements, I can't help but appreciate his (?) taste. Very crisp performance, too.

As for the game, the story sounds charming, the art is nice, and even if the game is a blatant clone of the classic Suikodens (or perhaps because it is) I am now very interested in how it turns out.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Wed 5 Feb 02:59]

Nekros
587th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Next (Now?) Gen Games" , posted Thu 6 Feb 03:31post reply

Seriously don't know what to think about it, it seems that many games are rushed to the next gen instead of taking their time. Evil Within, Murdered and MGS V are all announced for next gen as well I fear we'll got no more than some polished effect and models but no real improvement on other standpoint. Ah, usually don't give a crap about EA/Activison/Ubisoft ports so I speak only for the Japanese developers (I assume westerns are used to this due to years of AAA PC market).

Btw got finally a WiiU (ID: Nekr0s) and I find Miiverse and video chat very appealing. Also liked the Karaoke but I'm not sure of its actual audience for the west. But I use it to sing Japanese songs so I don't care much. Very fun tough, it was unexpected. I don't play games very much now and the title bundled with the console (Mario U) felt ok to play but lazy and uninspired nearly in every aspect. Sure thing is Nintendo games in HD have beautiful renders and amazing colors. Any hint on what to buy? On my radar are W101 (will buy next week), Rayman, Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong. Some people moans about too many platformers but since is one of my favorite genres and I complain about too many fps on other systems, I call it even :P
I am also planning to get a PS4 in late spring or summer but haven't decided yet, mostly because of the lack of games that I like (only Infamous and WatchDogs).

Amakusa
925th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Next (Now?) Gen Games" , posted Fri 14 Feb 15:33post reply

quote:
Btw got finally a WiiU (ID: Nekr0s) and I find Miiverse and video chat very appealing. Also liked the Karaoke but I'm not sure of its actual audience for the west. But I use it to sing Japanese songs so I don't care much. Very fun tough, it was unexpected. I don't play games very much now and the title bundled with the console (Mario U) felt ok to play but lazy and uninspired nearly in every aspect. Sure thing is Nintendo games in HD have beautiful renders and amazing colors. Any hint on what to buy? On my radar are W101 (will buy next week), Rayman, Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong. Some people moans about too many platformers but since is one of my favorite genres and I complain about too many fps on other systems, I call it even :P

Those are pretty much the big boys at the moment. Some people like ZombieU, but that's clearly an acquired taste.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."