Original message (2121 Views )

HokutoAndy
34th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Rare Customer

"Deep Down and other DD games" , posted Tue 10 Sep 18:19post reply

Here's the latest trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-EEEW9THgk

So it's set in New York City 2095, and you go down a hole to find memories and fight dragons. So the fighting might be a metaphorical thing.

Anyways, I'm enjoying that they just straight up have historic armor, lovingly rendered (55% of what do on pinterest is post pictures of armor)

Even the name, it looks like D&D. Definitely aiming for the classic gritty 70's tabletop RPG mood of shining white armor, dry red blood, and deep dark dungeons.

Replies:

Ishmael
4712th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Deep Down and other DD games" , posted Tue 10 Sep 22:52post reply

It's sounds like a mix of Assassin's Creed and Dark Souls. Hopefully it draws more inspiration from DS than AC. The randomized aspect sounds interesting since they are even going so far as to change the variables on how the monsters look. Will we end up with monsters who are overweight or suffering from unfortunate levels of hair loss? It's weird little details like that which give a game personality.

HokutoAndy
37th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Deep Down and other DD games" , posted Wed 11 Sep 01:21post reply

quote:
It's sounds like a mix of Assassin's Creed and Dark Souls. Hopefully it draws more inspiration from DS than AC. The randomized aspect sounds interesting since they are even going so far as to change the variables on how the monsters look. Will we end up with monsters who are overweight or suffering from unfortunate levels of hair loss? It's weird little details like that which give a game personality.

Yeah!! Random VISUAL AND POWER variables are something I've dreamed of since reading Gantz. Because the thrill of Gantz was not knowing what the heck that weird THING could do! So you had a real feeling of tension, fear even.

Player expectations was actually a very large part of what turned D&D into what it is today. They added tons of weird monsters because they need to keep adventures exciting. Sure you expect a dragon to fly an breath elemental death, but when you encounter a gigantic four legged thing with a mouth on its back, tentacles, and four tree trunk thick legs you think "wat... does it do?"

Encountering the unknown then killing it for gold! This is the dungeoneering spirit!

red falcon
6167th Post

PSN: Rugalbgood
XBL: RugalBGood
Wii: Doesitmatter?

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Deep Down and other DD games" , posted Wed 11 Sep 07:14post reply

Barely related, but... I always thought it was funny that Kai no Bouken had rust monsters in it.

Baines
374th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Deep Down and other DD games" , posted Wed 11 Sep 15:00post reply

quote:
Barely related, but... I always thought it was funny that Kai no Bouken had rust monsters in it.

When I was a kid several decades ago, I had a plastic toy that was a D&D Rust Monster. I never did find out whether the toy was a knock-off of the game, or the game had copied an old obscure kid's toy.

HokutoAndy
39th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):Deep Down and other DD games" , posted Wed 11 Sep 16:39:post reply

quote:

When I was a kid several decades ago, I had a plastic toy that was a D&D Rust Monster. I never did find out whether the toy was a knock-off of the game, or the game had copied an old obscure kid's toy.

Funny you say that:

"When I picked up a bag of plastic monsters* made in Hong Kong at the local dime store to add to the sand table array … there was the figurine that looked rather like a lobster with a propeller on its tail … nothing very fearsome came to mind … Then inspiration struck me. It was a Rust Monster."
-Gary Gygax, Dragon Magazine Issue #88 (1984)

The rust monster is also known as an example of 'gygaxian dickery', that is something which exists solely to emasculate the players. Because it's a very specific kind of monster and has a tendency to appear right after the Fighter has spent all his money to buy a suit of full plate, heh.

*Many are Ultraman monsters.

[this message was edited by HokutoAndy on Wed 11 Sep 16:56]

Baines
375th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):Deep Down and other DD games" , posted Wed 11 Sep 22:30post reply

quote:
Funny you say that

Hah, thanks. Now I know.

I always liked that little weird figure. I don't even know where it came from, because I don't remember having any other monster toys even remotely like it.

And of course if I mentioned it after finding out about D&D, most people assumed it was a knock-off of the game, or even an official tie-in product.

Mosquiton
1928th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Deep Down and other DD games" , posted Thu 12 Sep 04:41:post reply

quote:

Player expectations was actually a very large part of what turned D&D into what it is today...

Which is probably why it's evolved into a bunch of suave and super-cool NOBLE HEROES or BADASS ANTIHEROES fighting against the forces of evil (EPIC!!!) instead of rugged survivalists endangering their lives for gold.

This is why Dark Souls seemed to refreshing to people, it has a harsher and less glamorous feel to it. The best armors in the game don't look like fucking space-age sculptures adorned with all manner of ridiculously impractical ornamentation.

Deep Down seems to go down that route as well, although I'm kind of dismayed about the 2094 techno-framing angle... it just seems a bit played out to me and I absolutely hated it in Assassin's Creed. This seems to me to be a bit of an experimental game, maybe pursuing a narrower set of goals overall.

I'm interested, anyway.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Thu 12 Sep 04:41]

karasu99
1211th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Deep Down and other DD games" , posted Thu 12 Sep 04:47post reply

quote:

Player expectations was actually a very large part of what turned D&D into what it is today...

Really though D&D dungeonmasters hold a lot of responsibility for making dungeoneering interesting. There's no reason, for instance, that you can tell what a plain old red dragon even is in low torch lighting. This is also a reason why Dark Souls works so well in creating atmosphere.

quote:
Which is probably why it's evolved into a bunch of suave and super-cool NOBLE HEROES or BADASS ANTIHEROES fighting against the forces of evil (EPIC!!!) instead of rugged survivalists endangering their lives for gold.

An excellent point, and one of the reasons why I'm tired out by some of those conventions, personally.

www.secret-arts.com

Mosquiton
1929th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):Deep Down and other DD games" , posted Thu 12 Sep 15:53post reply

quote:

An excellent point, and one of the reasons why I'm tired out by some of those conventions, personally.

Man I sound really bitter and negative up there. You're right that the dungeonmaster does have a lot of control and responsibility.

Can Capcom serve as a proper dungeonmaster? I really hope they can!

Also I secretly really hope this game is a stepping stone/research project for creating a buffed up online coop Dragon's Dogma 2...

And HokutoAndy, I'm curious if you've had any exposure to Capcom's other DD. The & is certainly strongly implied in that one. Some great adventuring and glorious battle to be had in that one IMO.

/ / /

HokutoAndy
39th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(6):Deep Down and other DD games" , posted Thu 12 Sep 17:52post reply

quote:

And HokutoAndy, I'm curious if you've had any exposure to Capcom's other DD. The & is certainly strongly implied in that one. Some great adventuring and glorious battle to be had in that one IMO.

I don't have it, but want to get it! I initially was disappointed with its 'muddy' color scheme, but it really is a nice looking game compared to others in the 'fantasy gritty' genre.

The spellcasting feels mighty, the strider's wire attacks are really stylish, and the magic knight's "Cannon" attacks are a really awesome idea that I've taken for tabletop games.

I wonder how useful launching your allies is though. And I've watched man a video of a gigantic red dragon terrorizing a little fat mustached jester.

Yeah, D's Souls really captured that pre-90's D&D feel
Here's an iconic image of that era: A Paladin in Hell

I wonder if the D's Souls artists used that as reference, because the incorrect way to hold the shield persists in their game heheh.