Might No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove Back - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3612 Views )

nobinobita
1211th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove Back" , posted Sun 1 Sep 10:50:post reply

Inafune is Kickstarting a successor to Megaman:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9

The counter has already gone up several thousand dollars while I watched the video (which is crammed full of MegaMan references/Playful jabs at Capcom)

I think it's safe to assume this game will get funded.

Lets discuss!

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sun 1 Sep 10:52]

Replies:

nobinobita
1211th Post

"Re(1):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove " , posted Sun 1 Sep 10:59post reply

I'm glad to see this happen for several reasons.

1) Good to see Inafune back in action and focusing on what he's good at.
2) Nice to see Japanese developers taking advantage of Kickstarter
3) Glad to see Inafune celebrating the strengths of Japanese game development while also keeping an eye on the future (instead of only focusing on negative things)

The only worry I have is that they seem to be leaving a lot up to fan input. I think it's great to have your thumb on the pulse of your fans, but I don't think it's a great idea to let them vote on all the final content of the game. I hope that's kept to a minimum.

I am more interesting in funding passion projects by creators with something unique to express. I don't want to see that get watered down to cater to a wider audience, even if it is the people putting up the cash for the product.

www.art-eater.com

Maou
2540th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Inafune's ship adrift" , posted Sun 1 Sep 14:10:post reply

Interesting development. But man, for me it feels so very uncomfortably regressive, particularly that first photo of Rockman Mighty No. 9 obviously Rockman blasting the old hardhat guys and of course the Roll and Cutman clones. In the video, it's of course easy to hear Inafune's regret over being torn away from his old creations, almost like a loss of child custody. But I'd far rather see him do something that's a more obvious break, rather than makeshift almost-Rockman and friends.

I say this while simultaneously believing that people should follow creators or directors more than companies or sequels. The latest Final Fantasy's aren't true successors in any sense other than brand---one simple glance at the true follow-ups embodied in Sakaguchi's Mistwalker output exposes modern FF's for the shams that they are. That said, Sakaguchi's post-Square creations still seem more visionary and foward-looking than this project here: sure, they have the obvious name refernces, Last Story being just a shade too obvious, but my limited exposure to Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon didn't leave me with any sense of grasping fruitlessly at the past.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 1 Sep 15:38]

GekigangerV
1846th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5
Wii: n/a

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Sun 1 Sep 14:19:post reply

I saw this and I am pretty sure I will be pitching in. I am just deciding on whether it will be for $60 or less. As of this post, the project is at $250,000. It is well on it's way of at least getting the whole Mighty 1-8 bosses and stages. It will probably also get the $2.5 million needed to get it onto consoles. However, the choice of PS3 and 360 for a release in APRIL 2015 is a bit strange. I wonder if they would get more backers if they aimed for PS4/Vita/XB1.

quote:

3) Glad to see Inafune celebrating the strengths of Japanese game development while also keeping an eye on the future (instead of only focusing on negative things)

Funny you mention that as there is this little blurb at the bottom about learning from the west as well as focusing on Japan's independent scene.

quote:
Isn’t Inafune always criticizing the Japanese game industry?

Mr. Inafune has never been one to be shy about his opinions, and as the Japanese game industry started shrinking (both in terms of international respect and in sales) over the last decade, he has continued to speak out on the reasons he sees behind the decline, and the ways he thought it might be fixed. The recurring themes of these remarks is to learn from and work with the West, embracing new ways of doing things in order to appeal to not just Japanese fans, but overseas gamers as well.

And that’s exactly what we are attempting to do here on Kickstarter; the time for talk is over—as Inafune himself was quoted saying, “Words are not enough, we must act and prove it.” It’s time to lead by example and inject some positivity into this topic. The hope of Mr. Inafune and all the creators and partners involved is that this project will be successful and not only allow us to make the great game we’re dreaming of making, but, with your help, we can also show other Japanese developers, and eventually maybe even the Japanese indie creator scene, that crowdfunding can be a viable option.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Sun 1 Sep 15:11]

Ishmael
4705th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a

"Lost in the pixel woods" , posted Mon 2 Sep 02:15post reply

I agree with Maou, this project strikes me as depressing and sad. Working within your wheelhouse is perfectly fine but the aping Inafune is doing of his previous work is taking it far beyond that.

Also, how is he not going to get sued over this? Capcom went after Data East for far less. I support creators when it comes to work for hire corporate situations since far too many people have not been properly compensated for the success of their inventions. That, however, does not strike me as what Inafune is going for here and if it is this is the wrong way to fight that fight.

karasu99
1199th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Lost in the pixel woods" , posted Mon 2 Sep 03:05post reply

quote:
I agree with Maou, this project strikes me as depressing and sad. Working within your wheelhouse is perfectly fine but the aping Inafune is doing of his previous work is taking it far beyond that.

Also, how is he not going to get sued over this? Capcom went after Data East for far less. I support creators when it comes to work for hire corporate situations since far too many people have not been properly compensated for the success of their inventions. That, however, does not strike me as what Inafune is going for here and if it is this is the wrong way to fight that fight.

I'll agree as well. This will certainly generate a load of cash for the project based on Inafune's name only, but... I dunno, I would just like to see something a bit more ambitious from him. It may be beautiful and well made, but Kickstarter hosts no less that a million (my rough estimate) pixel art 2d platforming sidescrollers a week. I love to see him doing well and getting appreciated, but couldn't he have stretched himself a bit more?

Also, I'm sometimes puzzled by extremely famous peoples' use of Kickstarter for these kinds of things. I know there are issues with fair compensation for creatives in the Japanese game industry, but surely there are a dozen companies or venture capitalists who would kill to work with him.

I also agree about the blatant nature of the characters and setting. I think perhaps you or I could get away with such a project, but Inafune? He's about as high profile as you can get, and the Internet has been losing its shit over this for the past 24 hours. Surely Capcom is aware of it.

www.secret-arts.com

mbisonhatclub
583th Post

PSN: hadoolket

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Lost in the pixel woods" , posted Mon 2 Sep 03:50post reply

quote:
Surely Capcom is aware of it
First, he's not doing anything illegal or infringing. Second, fuck (modern-day) Capcom. Their top brass pull enough bullshit that frankly, they have something like this coming to them, and one can look at this as a jab at them. When the old farts running the boards kick themselves out of their stock-trading and marketing offices with their pentup 3-piece-suit-wearing investment-discussing garbage while Shang Tsung regularly drains their souls in exchange for money in their pockets, maybe I can have nice things to say about them!

I'm not a Megaman fan, but I do hope this project meets many of its goals. And those who think I'm wrong about wanting it to do so just because of my spite of Capcom, well, you can kiss my ass! (ノ゚◡◡゚)ノ☆

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Iggy
9644th Post

"Re(1):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove " , posted Mon 2 Sep 04:00post reply

The saddest thing is how everyone focuses on Inafune's name value, forgetting that his name is the only thing that ever had some value.
He's just Rockman's creator because he claimed loud enough that he was, and after a while people started spreading it themselves.
I feel sad for the other people involved in the project, and embarrassed for people backing this up on Inafune's name alone. This whole thing is... not good for anybody.

Spoon
2483th Post

"Re(2):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Mon 2 Sep 04:24post reply

quote:
The saddest thing is how everyone focuses on Inafune's name value, forgetting that his name is the only thing that ever had some value.
He's just Rockman's creator because he claimed loud enough that he was, and after a while people started spreading it themselves.
I feel sad for the other people involved in the project, and embarrassed for people backing this up on Inafune's name alone. This whole thing is... not good for anybody.

If Professor F was on board I would be much more enthused. Right now I'm just trying to wrap my head around the irony of him decrying the backwards state of Japanese games and Japanese game development and then making a throwback Japanese game whose singular Western innovation in his words is the use of Kickstarter.

The staff of the game looks like a crew of... Mega Man legends.

Baines
369th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Lost in the pixel woods" , posted Mon 2 Sep 04:48:post reply

quote:
I dunno, I would just like to see something a bit more ambitious from him. It may be beautiful and well made, but Kickstarter hosts no less that a million (my rough estimate) pixel art 2d platforming sidescrollers a week. I love to see him doing well and getting appreciated, but couldn't he have stretched himself a bit more?

I'd like to see what they can do with the formula. Despite all the obvious (and blatantly intentional) similarities, it sounds like they are trying to make something other than a carbon copy. Making a new game that is obviously very Mega Man derivative, but at the same time is a quality game that expands on the formula in new directions is probably pretty challenging. Just look at the heat Capcom gets for its own sequels.

At the same time, it might be a Mega Man game that Capcom wouldn't be willing to make, simply because it is different.

quote:
I feel sad for the other people involved in the project, and embarrassed for people backing this up on Inafune's name alone.

To be fair, it isn't just Inafune's name alone. The dev team is advertised as consisting of several other people who have worked on Mega Man games over the years in various roles. Sure, the Kickstarter would raise a ton of money on Inafune's name alone, but it isn't trying to raise money on his name alone.

[this message was edited by Baines on Mon 2 Sep 04:49]

nobinobita
1212th Post

"Re(3):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Mon 2 Sep 05:08post reply

quote:
If Professor F was on board I would be much more enthused. Right now I'm just trying to wrap my head around the irony of him decrying the backwards state of Japanese games and Japanese game development and then making a throwback Japanese game whose singular Western innovation in his words is the use of Kickstarter.

Stupid simple as it sounds, this actually is innovative for a Japanese developer. Kickstarter isn't just for fundraising, it's a great sales and marketing tool and those are the areas where Japanese companies are weakest.

I often hear the various creative industries in Japan referred to as a "cottage industry" full of creative passionate people working for less than minimum wage cos they love what they do. This breaks my heart. The publishers make all the real money because they own the IPs and control distribution. If Kickstarter can help these actual content creators raise funds, raise awareness of their product, maintain rights to their creations and establish a more direct connection to their fanbase, I'm all for it whether you're a one man indie dev or an industry legend.

quote:

Sad, but this is how the world works. It's not enough to make something incredible, you gotta be able to claim credit for it or someone else will. The world likes heroes and simple stories. That's why movie directors get all the credit for their movies. That's why Andy Serkis gets credit for cg acting performances that are really the result of hundreds of artists.

I see this a lot in the American games industry (I've seen a man win an award for an idea he stole from a coworker while she was on pregnancy leave!). Maybe Inafune has keener insight into our ways than I thought haha.

Is Inafune really that bad though? Are there other people involved with Mega Man more deserving of credit? I'm not trying to challenge you, I'm really curious, I don't know very much about Mega Man's history.

The Kickstarter project does seem to be spotlighting a lot of people in addition to Inafune though. It may be selling mostly on his name, but it looks like he's consciously trying to bring up other people around him.

quote:
The staff of the game looks like a crew of... Mega Man legends.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxm1vvNLvQ1qd9g7oo1_500.png

www.art-eater.com

nobinobita
1214th Post

"Re(4):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Mon 2 Sep 05:20:post reply

I can see why one might regard this whole Kickstarter as regressive and sad, but I think it just makes a lot of sense for a few reasons.

The world is hungry for a new Mega Man and Capcom is pretty much incapable of making it. No matter what Capcom does with Mega Man it will never be enough because there's so much baggage to it.

This is an excellent opportunity for Comcept to cash in on, both financially and creatively. With Mighty no 9, Inafune and crew have a chance to go back to their roots, but they can cherry pick what to keep and what to get rid of without 30 years of cannon breathing down their necks. Yeah the fans will still have their expectations, but I think they'll be a lot more forgiving and open minded (I hope so anyway).

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Mon 2 Sep 05:26]

nobinobita
1214th Post

"Re(2):Lost in the pixel woods" , posted Mon 2 Sep 05:34post reply

quote:
Also, I'm sometimes puzzled by extremely famous peoples' use of Kickstarter for these kinds of things. I know there are issues with fair compensation for creatives in the Japanese game industry, but surely there are a dozen companies or venture capitalists who would kill to work with him.

It's tough to raise VC for games because they're a "hit driven business," so it's hard to sell what you're doing as a sure thing, especially in the current state of the industry where tons of big companies are reporting losses and thousands of new mobile games flood the market every day. 2 or 3 years ago would have been the best time (and I'm sure Comcept probably got a fair share of funding in the past that they're still coasting on).

On that note, if Mighty no 9 does well maybe we'll see:

-Sega gets back into the hardware biz, Kickstarting the Dreamcast 2!

-SquareEnix sets a new record, Kickstarting a Final Fantasy VII remake with a minimum goal of $1 billion.

www.art-eater.com

GPA
65th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Mon 2 Sep 06:43post reply

The five minutes of research I decided to put into finding out what Inafune did for the first Rockman yielded these results...

When Inafune joined the project, the title Rockman had already been decided by his superiors and Inafune's unnamed mentor had done "a basic idea" of Rock himself. Inafune was made an art lead and handled the development of all the other character designs and artwork, the logo, package, and instruction manual. He also designed the in game look of the characters, and the wiki article says that he came up with the music theme for character names, too.

Inafune publicly stated in 2007 at TGS that he was not the original designer of Rockman, and he even assigned X's design to another artist so that he could spend time designing Zero.

Mosquiton
1918th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Mon 2 Sep 08:41post reply

quote:
I can see why one might regard this whole Kickstarter as regressive and sad, but I think it just makes a lot of sense for a few reasons.

The world is hungry for a new Mega Man and Capcom is pretty much incapable of making it. No matter what Capcom does with Mega Man it will never be enough because there's so much baggage to it.

This is an excellent opportunity for Comcept to cash in on, both financially and creatively. With Mighty no 9, Inafune and crew have a chance to go back to their roots, but they can cherry pick what to keep and what to get rid of without 30 years of cannon breathing down their necks. Yeah the fans will still have their expectations, but I think they'll be a lot more forgiving and open minded (I hope so anyway).

I certainly have mixed feelings here, I can't deny that I felt a little bit embarrassed for them about the overt similarities, there is some feeling that this attachment and resentment comes from kind of a sad place, but I want to be optimistic. It looks like they have a capable group of people (and even if Inafune didn't create all of Mega Man canon with his bare hands I believe him to be at the very least a competent guy). I wish them success.

On the other hand I don't see myself kicking in. Legends 3 I would have put down cash for. Not that they'll need my money anyway, judging by how fast this thing is getting funded.

/ / /

HokutoAndy
26th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Mon 2 Sep 15:48:post reply

It's good to see Inafune out of his uncle ruckus phase. The largest difference in games between the 90's and today is marketing. The US has that hollywood culture already well developed, but Japanese are rather weak at representing themselves overseas, and self deprecation is not appreciated in the US.

The artwork gives me a drill dozer feel, that game had a wonderful feeling of weight behind every action. Visually... it's going to be delicious high res 2D right? Like Megaman artwork in motion.

[this message was edited by HokutoAndy on Mon 2 Sep 16:03]

Professor
3886th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Mon 2 Sep 16:39post reply

Awesome! It's only been about 2 days and the funding has already reached near its inital goal. I wonder what language they're using, considering the stretch goal for a Mac/Linux version seems relatively affordable.

HAYATO
1132th Post

PSN: Lord-Hayato

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(6):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Mon 2 Sep 17:13post reply

IMHO, Inafune must be playing safe this time, trying to cash in with a game based on one of the most popular franchises he helped develop back at Capcom. I hope this new? game of his fares well enough so that he can bring us fresher and more innovative IPs in the future, such as BioMenace 7, TenguMusha 4, Robo Platoon 2 or Meta Alley Brawler 5.

HokutoAndy
26th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(7):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Mon 2 Sep 18:16post reply

Mighty no.9, wonder if it's a reference to the story arc in Astro Boy where Pluto wants to kill the mightiest 9 robots in the world?

TWIST ENDING:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
None of the other robots went insane, you are actually the sole insane one everyone else is trying to stop.

End of Spoiler

Iggy
9645th Post

"Re(8):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Mon 2 Sep 18:36post reply

quote:
USG: It was great, in the video, watching you work on the illustrations and hold up the image of Beck. How heavily involved have you been with creating character concepts and even doing final illustrations?

KI: There's a specific character designer on the team, a guy named Kimoto, who is extremely talented. He understands my essence. He understands my art style very well. It's up to him to create the base character designs. However, I would say, much to his chagrin, that on this title – probably more than on any other title in recent years – I'm a lot more hands-on. I'm providing feedback and guidelines on the specifics of smaller details of the character, how parts should look, what should be added. But I feel very comfortable with the fact that I know what Kimoto-san… I know what his strengths are. I know how to maximize his strengths, while also being able to infuse what I consider my creative spirit, my art style, into his designs as well. We have a nice collaborative art design process that's going on.

*Breathes heavily*

HokutoAndy
27th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(9):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Mon 2 Sep 20:22post reply

"The fans, the backers, they're not game creators. They're fans. They're people who love the content. They're going to have great ideas, but they still need to be funneled in a way that the people building the game will be able to use them in the best way possible. Finding that solution set, finding those logistics, is going to be key to making sure that this project provides the most for both the creators and the fans that are so interested in it."
-Inafune

That's good. The "YOU create the game!" bit sounds largely like a publicity thing and to have a hardcore fanbase.

Mosquiton
1919th Post

"Re(5):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Tue 3 Sep 03:10post reply

quote:
It's good to see Inafune out of his uncle ruckus phase. The largest difference in games between the 90's and today is marketing.

This is a pretty apt reference, I wish this thought had occurred to me a few years ago. Well done sir.

*checks kickstarter again*

And just like that it's funded.

/ / /

HokutoAndy
29th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(6): Inafune is still uncle Ruckus" , posted Tue 3 Sep 17:10:post reply

http://www.gamespot.com/pax/inafune-says-japanese-industry-has-gotten-worse-6413936/

Ok, nevermind, he is still the uncle ruckus of videogames. Well his full words really aren't so bad, but it's really goddamn aggrivating that he continues to speak for the entire industry and say everyone else in Japan sucks*.

This kind of talk really doesn't solve anything. All it does is make western devs gloat, western journalists more hostile, and Japanese games look worse in the west. Like one of the mass effect dudes (the game that failed to outself the internet's most hated final fantasy) will go "FF games aren't REAL RPG's!"at some industry event where everyone's clapping... while his art director says in a small interview "There's some great stuff in Final Fantasy: Spirits Within, especially their glowing GUI screens; we used those a lot. I keep a folder of that stuff and I still actually tell the guys 'just go back and look at that. Change it like that!"

Let's use Kotaku as an example:

-Kotaku writes an article misusing Kamiya's tweet
-Hideki Kamiya tells Kotaku to eat shit
-Kotaku apologizes to Kamiya.

See? If you tell Kotaku to eat shit, they will apologize to you and treat you very nicely. That's how games journalism works.

*Or maybe this is just how Inafune says "Capcom sucks now", but he is too polite to specify Capcom so he just says "Japan".

**You know, Project Phoenix is exactly what Inafune says JP developers should do, except they did it before Inafune, and they did it without saying everyone else but them sucks.

[this message was edited by HokutoAndy on Tue 3 Sep 19:18]

Loona
720th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(5):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Tue 3 Sep 23:37post reply

quote:
Inafune publicly stated in 2007 at TGS that he was not the original designer of Rockman, and he even assigned X's design to another artist so that he could spend time designing Zero.

I remember this, and some bit about him making sure Zero got the best scenes, since that was the character he cared about - and who, BTW, made it quite faithfully to TvC, MvC3 and Project X Zone.

Considering that, I don't really care much about this Kickstarter beyond raising awareness of the possibility to other Japanese devs.

Still, it would be funny if he pulled a MGS2, and despite the current promotional material, the actually game then had you play as a Zero look-a-like, it would sort of be historically fitting.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

nobinobita
1215th Post

"Re(7): Inafune is still uncle Ruckus" , posted Wed 4 Sep 04:05post reply

quote:

*Or maybe this is just how Inafune says "Capcom sucks now", but he is too polite to specify Capcom so he just says "Japan".

**You know, Project Phoenix is exactly what Inafune says JP developers should do, except they did it before

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Ahhhh Inafune. Still shuckin' and jivin' for the English speaking press.

I'm pulling out my support for Mighty no 9 and putting it into Project Phoenix.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/project-phoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent

The spirit of this project is much more progressive.

I hope Inafune can one day get over his issues with Capcom and find peace. Until then I just can't support anything this dude does.

www.art-eater.com

Ishmael
4706th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(8): Inafune is still uncle Ruckus" , posted Wed 4 Sep 06:21post reply

quote:
Project Phoenix

What a delightful looking title! Why isn't everyone talking about this game?

Mosquiton
1920th Post

"Re(9): Inafune is still uncle Ruckus" , posted Wed 4 Sep 07:55post reply

quote:
Project Phoenix
What a delightful looking title! Why isn't everyone talking about this game?

Maybe I'm just resonating with this article's comments section but I feel kind of down on the game. I don't really know these people... it maybe seems a bit like empty hype? Not that games from big publishers aren't often the same thing. Also streamlined, squad-based RTS. Eh. I am not compelled.

/ / /

mbisonhatclub
584th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10): Inafune is still uncle Ruckus" , posted Wed 4 Sep 08:09post reply

quote:
Also streamlined, squad-based RTS. Eh. I am not compelled.

Seems rather weird to call it progressive, too, when in the trailer, it explicitly remarks about going back to the basics of the JRPG genre. I think there's a different word that was wanted but it just didn't come out right.

Lugos
43th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Re(10): Inafune is still uncle Ruckus" , posted Wed 4 Sep 12:37post reply

My first reaction on seeing Mighty No. 9: Holy sh**, it looks like a badass Mega Man ripoff!

Second reaction: Holy sh**, how long til Capcom sends in their lawyers!?

I'm happy to see Inafune pursuing his dream and trolling Capcom at the same time. But I'm worried that he might eventually have to alter the game's Mega Man'ish visuals to stave off a lawsuit. How might that affect the folks who already donated money to the project? Would they be sympathetic to Inafune, or would they consider him a coward for not standing up to Capcom, or would they vilify Capcom for defending their IP? I hope I'm wrong, but I can see this kickstarter getting real ugly real fast.

karasu99
1201th Post

"Re(3):Re(10): Inafune is still uncle Ruckus" , posted Wed 4 Sep 13:05post reply

quote:
I hope I'm wrong, but I can see this kickstarter getting real ugly real fast.

It's so "It's totally not Megaman... *wink* *wink*" that I have no idea how it won't get ugly, one way or the other. All joking aside, people have been sued for a lot less infringing attempts. And in this case, there's just no idea you can read it as anything BUT Megaman.

www.secret-arts.com

Baines
369th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Re(10): Inafune is still uncle Ruckus" , posted Wed 4 Sep 13:10post reply

quote:
Would they be sympathetic to Inafune, or would they consider him a coward for not standing up to Capcom, or would they vilify Capcom for defending their IP? I hope I'm wrong, but I can see this kickstarter getting real ugly real fast.

It will depend on what Capcom does, and when Capcom does it.

If Capcom wanted to shut it down, the best time would have been "immediately."

The longer Capcom waits, the worse the response will be for them, and the more people might decide to side with Inafune. This isn't an under-the-radar project. If Capcom is going to take legal action, then they look increasingly incompetent the longer they wait without saying or doing anything. And if Capcom waits until right before or right after the Kickstarter closes, then some people might see it as downright vindictive.

Of course it also matters how Capcom reacts, if they choose to react. Some legal measures will be taken in a more negative light than others.

There are so many ways that this could go beyond the obvious, as well... What if Capcom set their lawyers on Inafune and also announced a new Mega Man game? How would fans react to that?

mbisonhatclub
585th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10): Inafune is still uncle Ruckus" , posted Wed 4 Sep 13:21post reply

I seriously hope it's clear that what Inafune's doing isn't infringing on anything Capcom owns. The prospect of a lawsuit would actually reflect badly on Capcom because it's a stupid idea. And I won't go over why now because I've done that like 10 million times.

Burning Ranger
1743th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove " , posted Thu 5 Sep 11:03post reply

quote:
Inafune is Kickstarting a successor to Megaman:

I'm thrilled the creator(s) of the original Megaman games are working on a Megaman-ish game. I really hope Inafune & company pull together something that's more than just a Megaman clone...

However, I do think it's strange that they raised funding without really showing anything more than a few concept drawings, a screenshot (which may be mocked up, not unheard of) and a pitch from Inafune (which I admit was well done). I haven't really tracked many of the Kickstarters, but I certainly hope this isn't the trend; even the Project Phoenix didn't show anything more than pitches and some art. Yes, I know it takes resources to even pull together a demo, but when appealing to the masses to fund a project, wouldn't you think they'd reveal something more substantial?

So much to do so little time...

karasu99
1204th Post

"Re(2):Changing the subject" , posted Thu 5 Sep 12:17post reply

Now here is a 2d platformer Kickstarter I can get behind.

www.secret-arts.com

Baines
370th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Fri 6 Sep 03:14post reply

quote:
a screenshot (which may be mocked up, not unheard of)

Not unheard of, and admitted.

Below the first "screenshots" is the text:
"Note: All images on this page are concept art and not actual in-game screens."

Professor
3895th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Fri 6 Sep 16:57:post reply

Chances of Comcept getting hit by a lawsuit from Capcom with this Kickstarter seems pretty low. There's no direct infringements and it's not like the company will be copying source code (like the focus of the Capcom vs Data East case back in 1993).

The only scenario I can see happening is if CEO Tsujimoto still holds a personal grudge on Inafune and hits him just to see him suffer with no intentions to win. IIRC they had quite a fallout when he left Capcom.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 6 Sep 17:00]

Baines
371th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Sat 7 Sep 00:51post reply

quote:
The only scenario I can see happening is if CEO Tsujimoto still holds a personal grudge on Inafune and hits him just to see him suffer with no intentions to win. IIRC they had quite a fallout when he left Capcom.

That's mostly what I wonder about.

Someone at Capcom could get miffed enough at the Kickstarter. It isn't just someone leaving the company and going on to find success... It isn't even just that Inafune is making an obviously Mega Man derived game. It is that Capcom has shown little interest in Mega Man games despite a vocal fan base, while this Kickstarter is showing that there is a fan base that is willing to spend money. That money has finally slowed down, and the pick up near the end won't be as extreme, but I could see Mighty No 9 hitting its final $2,500,000 stretch goal by the end.

Of course Capcom could just see the whole thing as chump change regardless. A couple of million is a drop in the bucket compared to what Capcom expects its successful games to make, and may be largely the reason (other than the departure of Inafune) why Capcom isn't really making Mega Man games before... A vocal fan base might guarantee a small number of sales, but it doesn't necessarily translate to the total sales figures and profits that they want to see.

nobinobita
1216th Post

"Re(4):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Sat 7 Sep 05:56post reply

quote:
Chances of Comcept getting hit by a lawsuit from Capcom with this Kickstarter seems pretty low.

I think that would be a best case scenario for Comcept. If Capcom sued them or issued a cease and decist it would be great publicity for the company. It would get the fans on their side and Inafune could get the sweet sweet revenge that he's been longing for.

Part of me wishes the guy the best (especially for his team). And I actually think Mighty No 9 could be a fun game. But the way Inafune speaks about his entire country and culture as a monolith(when really he just hates Capcom) is really really really off putting.

www.art-eater.com

mbisonhatclub
586th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Sat 7 Sep 06:13post reply

quote:
But the way Inafune speaks about his entire country and culture
Then you must really love some of the hippies we got in America.

Baines
373th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Sat 7 Sep 13:27:post reply

quote:
The five minutes of research I decided to put into finding out what Inafune did for the first Rockman yielded these results...

When Inafune joined the project, the title Rockman had already been decided by his superiors and Inafune's unnamed mentor had done "a basic idea" of Rock himself.

In a Destructoid interview, Inafune says that the original pixel art version was done by someone else (which Destructoid says was Akira Kitamura), and Inafune had to come up with a design that fit the pixel art.

The quote:
"This is probably a little known fact... it's true that I did not design Mega Man, but what happened was there was a planner that whenever they made a Famicom character, they had to look at it on the screen and see how it popped, whether it was visible, whether you can play as it and it would pop off of the background. This planner put together a pixel character that really had good read against the Famicom backgrounds, then went to me and said, 'Okay, I want you to make a character that looks like Famicom graphic could have come from that character."

http://www.destructoid.com/keiji-inafune-dropped-mad-mega-man-secrets-on-me-261362.phtml

[this message was edited by Baines on Sat 7 Sep 13:28]

HokutoAndy
31th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Sat 7 Sep 20:18post reply

The most damaging thing Capcom can do against Inafune would be to make Megaman Legends 3 and have it be reaaaaally fun with great online play.

Zepy
1630th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(6):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Sat 7 Sep 21:44post reply

I'm still not sure about backing it because I'm don't know if the Mighty No 9 team is the same team that was making this

Toxico
5839th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(7):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Thu 12 Sep 02:41post reply

The game pool is in the 2m margin right now. They added new stretch goals such as extra stages and extra usable characters with online co-op.

...... Still not really intersted.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

Mosquiton
1928th Post

"Re(8):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Thu 12 Sep 04:46post reply

quote:
The game pool is in the 2m margin right now. They added new stretch goals such as extra stages and extra usable characters with online co-op.

...... Still not really intersted.

I agree. Somehow I look at the whole thing and just think "this is really of no concern to me."

Still, good for them that they're achieving this success. The console versions are a definite at this point.

/ / /

HokutoAndy
40th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(7):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Thu 12 Sep 18:54post reply

quote:
I'm still not sure about backing it because I'm don't know if the Mighty No 9 team is the same team that was making this

MN9 seems like a response to Inafune's MMU being cancelled. I enjoyed Rockman Power Battle, but it would be even more fun to co-op through a whole stage.

Toxico
5844th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(8):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Fri 4 Oct 15:22post reply

So, I keep hearing that all of the money goals where reached?

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

mbisonhatclub
590th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Mighty No 9 - How Keiji Got His Groove" , posted Fri 4 Oct 20:07post reply

quote:
So, I keep hearing that all of the money goals where reached?

ALL of them. Including the 4million stretch.