Gojira
2973th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Japanese instrument samples?" , posted Thu 29 Aug 05:28post reply

Hey folks, I don't know if anyone here does music at all but I figure it's worth a shot.

I've been trying to find some traditional-sounding Japanese instrument sample sets for a piece I was working on, and even though I know what I want to hear I seriously underestimated just how hard it is to find anything outside of the usual generic taiko/koto samples. Specifically I'm trying to find sounds for kotsuzumi/san-no-tsuzumi and shou. Or generally any of the instruments being played in this video.

I know for a fact that there are tons of JP games that use samples of these instruments, but they seem to be practically non-existent anywhere else in the world. So and English search turns up nothing, but maybe somebody knows of a non-English site or place somewhere where I could find something? Preferably for Kontakt but I'm not opposed to buying new software if I need to.

Replies:

Professor
3892th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Japanese instrument samples?" , posted Thu 5 Sep 06:45post reply

quote:
Hey folks, I don't know if anyone here does music at all but I figure it's worth a shot.

I've been trying to find some traditional-sounding Japanese instrument sample sets for a piece I was working on, and even though I know what I want to hear I seriously underestimated just how hard it is to find anything outside of the usual generic taiko/koto samples. Specifically I'm trying to find sounds for kotsuzumi/san-no-tsuzumi and shou. Or generally any of the instruments being played in this video.

I know for a fact that there are tons of JP games that use samples of these instruments, but they seem to be practically non-existent anywhere else in the world. So and English search turns up nothing, but maybe somebody knows of a non-English site or place somewhere where I could find something? Preferably for Kontakt but I'm not opposed to buying new software if I need to.

Japanese instruments aren't a part of the standard DTM/GM sound set, so from what I understand, hobby DTM composers use substitutes such as bagpipe in place of a Shou, or look around for free samples. In the professional field, I think I heard that, for example, Okami used True Strike 2.