WataMote, Magic cards, translation favor? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3216 Views )

Mosquiton
1913th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"WataMote, Magic cards, translation favor?" , posted Tue 27 Aug 17:12post reply

So I'm watching this hilariously awkward but emotionally resonant show and I'm really curious what the text of this faux Magic: The Gathering card says. I have to know the name of the card, and if the listed effects are hilariously overcomplicated or stupidly overpowered.

I feel a bit ashamed asking, but after neglecting my Japanese studies for years I can only read kana. The number of kanji I recall at this point is probably in the single digits. So... onegaishimasu!

I'm also kind of curious if anyone else is watching WataMote. I never expected it to happen but I've gotten back into anime lately with this show and Attack on Titan).

And does anyone else here play Magic: The Gathering?

/ / /

Replies:

Professor
3871th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):WataMote, Magic cards, translation favo" , posted Tue 27 Aug 19:39post reply

quote:
So I'm watching this hilariously awkward but emotionally resonant show and I'm really curious what the text of this faux Magic: The Gathering card says. I have to know the name of the card, and if the listed effects are hilariously overcomplicated or stupidly overpowered.

I feel a bit ashamed asking, but after neglecting my Japanese studies for years I can only read kana. The number of kanji I recall at this point is probably in the single digits. So... onegaishimasu!

I don't play magic but this is what it says.
The ??? are the parts covered by his fingers.

"
The phantom of the underground burial

Every time you ??? a marsh/swamp in order to pull out energy,
you get a ??? added to your pool
"

Loona
718th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):WataMote, Magic cards, translation favo" , posted Tue 27 Aug 19:47post reply

quote:
I'm also kind of curious if anyone else is watching WataMote. I never expected it to happen but I've gotten back into anime lately with this show and Attack on Titan).

I've been on something of an anime burst after years of not caring much, so I'm been following most of Attack on Titan, caved in to morbid curiosity and watched all of Girls und Panzer, and recent caught up on Genshiken Nidaime, Silver Spoon and Watamote.

Watamote sort of feels like the missing point of divergence between something like Genshiken and Welcome to the NHK, both of which revolve around college-age protagonists, while Tomoko is in her early high school years, and experimenting with all sorts of twisted insights which could take her in either direction, although the manga and show usually have her take the dumbest approaches for the sake of awkward entertainment and keeping the status quo. Having read a bit of the manga before, I figured the show would live and die by the way they'd handle the scenes where tomoko tries to talk to strangers, and those seem fitting, but it's in her solo moments that the artists really get to be creative with stylistic ways to depict her mindset.

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep watching - AoT's female titan sequences, Silver Spoon and especially the Genshiken Nidaime bits I'm yet to read in the manga appeal to me more, but so far it's still a great adaptation, considering the source material.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Mosquiton
1914th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):WataMote, Magic cards, translation favo" , posted Wed 28 Aug 02:59post reply

quote:

I don't play magic but this is what it says.
The ??? are the parts covered by his fingers.

"
The phantom of the underground burial

Every time you ??? a marsh/swamp in order to pull out energy,
you get a ??? added to your pool
"

Thanks Prof. I was able to use this info to search for similar cards, it's actually a very close copy of this guy, although funnily enough the card in the anime seems to lack the "Extort" ability that would turn the game around on the same turn.

quote:

...while Tomoko is in her early high school years, and experimenting with all sorts of twisted insights which could take her in either direction, although the manga and show usually have her take the dumbest approaches for the sake of awkward entertainment and keeping the status quo.

Well I wouldn't want to see the show give Tomoko a magic shortcut to popularity and an unconditionally accepting group of friends after only a few episodes (which happens a lot to awkward loners in anime shows), there is a real danger with a story like this that you'll simply keep the character as the butt of the jokes rather than use the experiences for any kind of development.

I'm not familiar with the manga. I'm hoping she'll get her shit together a bit after summer break slips by.

Oh yeah, and the story has definitely slowed down a bit in Attack on Titan, but the female titan action sequences do look amazing. Scale, anatomy, a sense of inertia - they nailed it. It's cool to see interesting ideas get this kind of attention.

/ / /

Toxico
5829th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):WataMote, Magic cards, translation favo" , posted Wed 28 Aug 03:03post reply

Watamote has been strangely great recieved here, and since there are guys that complain in fighting games here we even have adapted phrases to common life such as "It's not my fault that I can't do QCF", or even stuff such as "Throwing my life into that uppercut was a wrong as I expected" (I recommed the second one, though if you aren't reading the novels it takes a while to become unique).

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12