Killer Instinct 2013 thoughts - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2620 Views )

talbaineric
6256th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Killer Instinct 2013 thoughts" , posted Mon 19 Aug 04:20post reply

I'm really excited for the new KI, with Chief Thunder's reveal, the game is looking to be shaping up excellently. I'm not a huge fan of pulling off endless combos, never been much of a combo guy. But the combos all look ruthless!

I do wish that it weren't a console exclusive though. That's where the console wars come to blame. So far this game would be the only reason for me to get a XBox One.

Replies:

Professor
3856th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Killer Instinct 2013 thoughts" , posted Mon 19 Aug 13:46post reply

quote:
I'm really excited for the new KI, with Chief Thunder's reveal, the game is looking to be shaping up excellently. I'm not a huge fan of pulling off endless combos, never been much of a combo guy. But the combos all look ruthless!

I do wish that it weren't a console exclusive though. That's where the console wars come to blame. So far this game would be the only reason for me to get a XBox One.

The new Killer Instinct is definitely a nostalgic comeback. Which btw, welcome back to the BBS Talbaineric!

Ishmael
4696th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

"Re(2):Killer Instinct 2013 thoughts" , posted Wed 21 Aug 00:06:post reply

Whenever I look at the new, awful look for Jago I laugh and laugh. But seeing as how Jago has always looked awful it makes it feel as if KI is updating its look while still remaining true to the spirit of the series.

What I'm curious about with the new game is whether or not fans of the franchise will enjoy all the new gameplay elements. For starters, this new KI has honest to goodness throws which is a huge change from the all-combo fighting of the previous games.

EDIT: Wait a sec, KI is shipping with six characters with the promise that little things like the final two characters and story mode will be added at some later date? The original KI managed to have ten characters in its roster! I feel sorry for KI fans. Here they waited years for the game to come back and they are getting a glorified beta that is being broken up into even tinier pieces.

[this message was edited by Ishmael on Wed 21 Aug 01:55]

Gojira
2969th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(3):Killer Instinct 2013 thoughts" , posted Wed 21 Aug 04:57:post reply

Actually IIRC there were throws in KI2, though they weren't easy to do since they required weiners to be touching.

Even though I was really into KI when it was new and was somewhat disappointed by KI2, I was excited at the rumor of a new KI game. Then the announcement came and it's just been one lukewarm element after another. The only thing that really impresses me is the sound design; everything else is just not what I had hoped to see. Too much focus on the gimmick, not enough focus on the overall package. And the sense of community involvement in fighters is impressive these days, but lately I feel like they're going way too far and this new KI is an example. They say they'll do flavorful things like danger moves/ ultimates "if the fans want it" rather than just doing them. Why? Both KI games had them. Do you want to do it or not? Don't be so wishy-washy.

Oh and welcome back talbaineric.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Wed 21 Aug 04:58]

Mosquiton
1907th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):Killer Instinct 2013 thoughts" , posted Wed 21 Aug 06:23post reply

quote:
Actually IIRC there were throws in KI2, though they weren't easy to do since they required weiners to be touching.

This is true. They also had parries! Which were pretty useless! Like 90% of that broken-ass game's design! For what it's worth the new KI looks much less trainwrecky than KI2.

quote:

Even though I was really into KI when it was new and was somewhat disappointed by KI2, I was excited at the rumor of a new KI game. Then the announcement came and it's just been one lukewarm element after another. The only thing that really impresses me is the sound design; everything else is just not what I had hoped to see. Too much focus on the gimmick, not enough focus on the overall package.

Even though the basic game feels surprisingly solid (I played the game at E3) I do kind of worry they might be over-designing this game a bit. Maybe too many cooks in the community kitchen?

They need to be very careful with the breakers. I'm worried about the initial release.

quote:

Oh and welcome back talbaineric.

Hey I remember that guy. Cammy4Eva.

/ / /

Nekros
566th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Killer Instinct 2013 thoughts" , posted Wed 21 Aug 22:17post reply

quote:

EDIT: Wait a sec, KI is shipping with six characters with the promise that little things like the final two characters and story mode will be added at some later date? The original KI managed to have ten characters in its roster! I feel sorry for KI fans. Here they waited years for the game to come back and they are getting a glorified beta that is being broken up into even tinier pieces.

Same point here. I don't know how to feel... tears of sadness or laugh-induced? I don't care for the Xbone or the KI franchise, but I think that promoting a fighter as a brand new console launch title is an effort I should encourage in some ways. But not being teased like this, is clear that Microsoft don't care at all and is rushing to have many games as possible (even porting 360 unreleased games...I'm looking at you, Crimson Dragon!). What a pity.

Ah, fun fact I endend up liking the launch lineup of the Bone better than PS4's.

Just a Person
1544th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Killer Instinct 2013 thoughts" , posted Wed 21 Aug 22:53post reply

quote:
Wait a sec, KI is shipping with six characters with the promise that little things like the final two characters and story mode will be added at some later date? The original KI managed to have ten characters in its roster! I feel sorry for KI fans. Here they waited years for the game to come back and they are getting a glorified beta that is being broken up into even tinier pieces.

I feel the same way. Even though the game looks good so far, it is frustrating to see that it will be released with only 6 characters (come on, SFII had more characters than that, and it was released more than two decades ago!) and apparently with no final boss and no endings. Damn, is it being developed by the same team who made King of Fighters XII and thought it was okay to release it the way it was?

Sure, most games nowadays have part of their contents released as DLC, but the core games at least feel complete enough for the purchaser who doesn't want to pay extra money for more content. Not the case with the new KI, it seems. Pity, it could be a great comeback for the series...

Oh, and welcome back, TalbainEric!!

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

talbaineric
6257th Post

"Re(4):Killer Instinct 2013 thoughts" , posted Thu 22 Aug 23:46post reply

Thank you everybody for the warm welcome back! :) I haven't frequented a forum for years, and this was the original video game forum for me, so I wanted to come back here, good to see everyone is still around!! :)

So, it can't be true that the game will only have like six characters?? I would hope not, perhaps some new additions?

Just a Person
1545th Post

"Re(5):Killer Instinct 2013 thoughts" , posted Fri 23 Aug 02:51post reply

quote:
Thank you everybody for the warm welcome back! :) I haven't frequented a forum for years, and this was the original video game forum for me, so I wanted to come back here, good to see everyone is still around!! :)

So, it can't be true that the game will only have like six characters?? I would hope not, perhaps some new additions?

From what the developers explained, the game will be released with 6 characters, and 2 other fighters will be added in February 2014 for free. This will be KI's "season one"; more characters will be added throughout a "season two" - but the problem is, it may take a whole year (or even more) before all the characters are added to the game.

Quite frustrating; I was expecting KI would have a revival comparable to Street Fighter IV or the latest Mortal Kombat (which is not only the first good MK game since MKII, but is the best MK game ever). Too bad Microsoft rushed this release.

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

karasu99
1195th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(6):Killer Instinct 2013 thoughts" , posted Fri 23 Aug 04:15post reply

quote:

From what the developers explained, the game will be released with 6 characters, and 2 other fighters will be added in February 2014 for free. This will be KI's "season one"; more characters will be added throughout a "season two" - but the problem is, it may take a whole year (or even more) before all the characters are added to the game.

Quite frustrating; I was expecting KI would have a revival comparable to Street Fighter IV or the latest Mortal Kombat (which is not only the first good MK game since MKII, but is the best MK game ever). Too bad Microsoft rushed this release.

I think it's par for the course for console launches though-- you get a mix of 'rushed to bring it out in time' and 'held back from current gen to be a launch title' games. Plus there are also all those full-price games that are just fluffed up tech-demos.

OR it could all just be a Tekken Revolution-style play at dribbling out content to gauge if people will go for that kind of thing.

www.secret-arts.com

Just a Person
1546th Post

"Here comes a new challenger" , posted Sun 25 Aug 07:57post reply

Killer Instinct 2013 gets its first female fighter... but who is she??

Doesn`t look like Orchid or Maya... it`s either a severely-changed Kim Wu (since she`s wearing a pink dress) or a brand-new character.

Mosquiton
1911th Post

"Re(1):Here comes a new challenger" , posted Sun 25 Aug 13:03post reply

quote:

Doesn`t look like Orchid or Maya... it`s either a severely-changed Kim Wu (since she`s wearing a pink dress) or a brand-new character.

I wonder...

I have a feeling they might be pulling something weird with this character.

/ / /

Ishmael
4699th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a

"Re(2):Here comes a new challenger" , posted Sun 25 Aug 21:59post reply

quote:

I wonder...

I have a feeling they might be pulling something weird with this character.

Good grief, that's Fulgore Mk.3 isn't it?

Baines
362th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Here comes a new challenger" , posted Mon 26 Aug 12:00post reply

quote:

Double Helix did promise new characters, and more female characters.

But the arm blades are a weird choice for a new character with Fulgore already in the game.

TheRedKnight
370th Post

PSN: yes
XBL: no
Wii: no

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Here comes a new challenger" , posted Mon 26 Aug 16:25post reply

quote:

But the arm blades are a weird choice for a new character with Fulgore already in the game.

Well she doesn't seem to be a cyborg so I doubt she's the new Fulgore. Maybe the reboot Fulgore doesn't have the armblades?

So far the only thing I like about the game is the redesign of Chief Thunder, but that doesn't mean the redesign is better than the original.

Waw!? And now what's going on!? Toh Shin Den is about to present to you a super hot virtual battle like one that you've never seen before at a rate of 90000 polygons per second!

Megane
564th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Killer Instinct 2013 thoughts" , posted Tue 27 Aug 15:45post reply

quote:

Jago's free, the other five characters are $5, all eight (first six plus upcoming two DLC chars) can be bought as a $20 pack. Pay $40 and you get everything plus costumes and accessories for each character.

PSN:BlakeMaxwell3

Just a Person
1547th Post

"Re(6):Killer Instinct 2013 thoughts" , posted Tue 27 Aug 23:52post reply

quote:
Pay $40 and you get everything plus costumes and accessories for each character.

And the original Killer Instinct game as well, if I read correctly.

Mosquiton
1915th Post

"Re(5):Here comes a new challenger" , posted Wed 28 Aug 03:42post reply

quote:

Well she doesn't seem to be a cyborg so I doubt she's the new Fulgore. Maybe the reboot Fulgore doesn't have the armblades?

So far the only thing I like about the game is the redesign of Chief Thunder, but that doesn't mean the redesign is better than the original.

I'm hoping for actual Fulgore as the last character announced since I'm not crazy about anyone in the cast so far. Thunder would probably be my backup choice even though I'm not 100% excited by what I've seen of him. Why? Well I do like grapplers.

/ / /