Japan Expo U.S.A. - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2279 Views )

Seizya
3218th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Japan Expo U.S.A." , posted Mon 12 Aug 14:40post reply

Since there was a thread of Otakon, the next big event I believe is Japan Expo U.S.A. Anyone heading to Japan Expo's U.S.A. debut?

Replies:

chazumaru
1056th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Japan Expo U.S.A." , posted Mon 12 Aug 17:59post reply

I am very interested to hear feedback from US crowds about that event. It's a really ambitious and possibly incredibly stupid bet from Japan Expo to start business in America, where Japanese pop culture is 1. way less mainstream than in France 2. already catered to by so many conventions in the Summer, especially on the West Coast if I recall correctly. But they clearly have strong ties with the Japanese industry by now. I am sure they will start low key but I wonder how many trial years they will give themselves to succeed (and what they will define as a success to begin with).

This year's Japan Expo (in Paris last month) was expected to pass 230,000 visitors.

78… 78… 絵札はさすらい ♪ 78… 78… 秩序は廻る ♪ 78… 78… 絵札はさすらい ♪ 78… 78… 未来を示す

Seizya
3219th Post

"Re(2):Japan Expo U.S.A." , posted Tue 13 Aug 05:41post reply

Having it held in my home area was smart of them since it does carry a significant amount of Japanese people. Other than that, you nailed it on the spot that a small amount of America is real knowledgeable on Japanese pop culture and that France has caught the culture quicker. Oh and yes, the west already has Anime Expo, Sac Anime and Comic Con. Being held in the summer is a risky move, but the staff members at least made another smart move by not being expensive and adding on, they at least gave me a reason to drop Fanime in Iwadare-san.

Do I want them to do well here? Sure. Will they? That depends on a trail of say, 3 years.

nobinobita
1207th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Japan Expo U.S.A." , posted Tue 13 Aug 06:50post reply

quote:
Since there was a thread of Otakon, the next big event I believe is Japan Expo U.S.A. Anyone heading to Japan Expo's U.S.A. debut?

Yusuke Kozaki is gonna be there so I defintely wanna go. I've been a big fan of his since he was just a humble young gif animator spinning a weird yarn about a hard boiled detective vs a rampaging chicken alien:

http://kymg.net/?page_id=155

ALSO wow didn't know he did the designs for Ouendan!

http://www.japanator.com/japan-expo-usa-announces-yusuke-kozaki-as-first-con-guest-28156.phtml

www.art-eater.com

Seizya
3220th Post

"Re(2):Japan Expo U.S.A." , posted Tue 13 Aug 07:01post reply

Yeah, he'll be there. Also, yeah, he did the designs of "Ouendan". I'll try hard to see each guest, but I can't make that guarantee.