Random thread: Non-gaming edition vol.3 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (11098 Views )

Professor
3834th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"Random thread: Non-gaming edition vol.3" , posted Sat 10 Aug 09:43post reply

It's that awful time of the year again! Comiket is going on this weekend and .. humm interesting, the Onepunchman artists and ex-Capcom Kinu Nishimura are teaming up to do a doujinshi.

http://galaxyheavyblow.web.fc2.com/

Replies:

Zepy
1622th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Random thread: Non-gaming edition vol.3" , posted Sat 10 Aug 11:47post reply

quote:
It's that awful time of the year again! Comiket is going on this weekend and .. humm interesting, the Onepunchman artists and ex-Capcom Kinu Nishimura are teaming up to do a doujinshi.

Whoa, I have to get that! The original onepunchman is a masterpiece

Spoon
2480th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Random thread: Non-gaming edition vol.3" , posted Sat 10 Aug 14:44post reply

quote:

That sounds AMAZING.
Has the original Onepunchman ended in Japan yet? I don't know whether or not the redrawn version has fully covered the original story yet.

Professor
3835th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Random thread: Non-gaming edition vol.3" , posted Sun 11 Aug 16:37post reply

This Comiket was proposterously horrible! It may be my shortest record up to date; the heat was too exhausting to stay there. People were dropping like flies before they even got into the convention.

quote:

Whoa, I have to get that! The original onepunchman is a masterpiece

That sounds AMAZING.
Has the original Onepunchman ended in Japan yet? I don't know whether or not the redrawn version has fully covered the original story yet.

I was thinking of hitting the circle but gave up due to exhaust... way too nasty today. The original Onepunch Man is still ongoing at the speed of molassas. The redrawn version is still far from catching up though.

Professor
3937th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Kantai Collection Tier Chart Maker" , posted Mon 25 Nov 13:35post reply

I donut know why I made this

Maese
720th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Kantai Collection Tier Chart Maker" , posted Mon 25 Nov 14:14post reply

quote:

OMG, many of my friends and co-workers are VERY MUCH into this kan-colle thing and now... even you, Professor? Anyway, it's funny to note that you didn't consider kan-colle can actually qualify as "gaming", so you just posted on the non-gaming random thread!

HokutoAndy
51th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Random thread: Non-gaming edition vol.3" , posted Mon 25 Nov 14:27post reply

quote:
This Comiket was proposterously horrible! It may be my shortest record up to date; the heat was too exhausting to stay there. People were dropping like flies before they even got into the convention.

There any cons held over the winter then?

Maese
723th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):Random thread: Non-gaming edition vol.3" , posted Mon 25 Nov 14:51:post reply

quote:

There any cons held over the winter then?

Around New Year there is a winter Comicket as well, which is equally horrible because low temperatures + Tokyo Bay's high humidity is a truly devastating combo. Not that it discourages cosplayers of wearing every year the shortest miniskirts known by mankind, though.

[this message was edited by Maese on Mon 25 Nov 14:52]

Professor
3939th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Kantai Collection Tier Chart Maker" , posted Mon 25 Nov 19:23post reply

quote:
OMG, many of my friends and co-workers are VERY MUCH into this kan-colle thing and now... even you, Professor? Anyway, it's funny to note that you didn't consider kan-colle can actually qualify as "gaming", so you just posted on the non-gaming random thread!

I've been peer-pressured so much by the locals here that I *had* to touch it to keep up to date! For what it is, the Flash is pretty well developed, especially in the graphical interface and screen layouts, which usually gets the low-priority treatment for these F2P types of games.

But still, it doesn't feel like a "game" game. You touch it once or a few times a day and that's it (unless you're uber hardcore of course). Placing this in the games thread would feel so wrong.

It's got an NeoGeo Art Of Fighting thing going on in it, your get cloth damage after you lose about half of your HP.

Zepy
1633th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Kantai Collection Tier Chart Maker" , posted Mon 25 Nov 23:29:post reply

quote:

Donuts poi

You need a icon for the connection error girl, she's ultimate tier

I can't stop buying all the comic anthologies help

[this message was edited by Zepy on Tue 26 Nov 02:19]

Professor
3943th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Kantai Collection Tier Chart Maker" , posted Wed 27 Nov 07:06post reply

quote:
Donuts poi

You need a icon for the connection error girl, she's ultimate tier

I can't stop buying all the comic anthologies help

Duely noted, I'll need to add those Compass girls too!
I bought the anth' with the Yumekui Merry artist cover just for that illust damn it

Spoon
2519th Post

"Movies" , posted Wed 4 Dec 04:10post reply

Apropos of nothing, I really liked Frozen.

Ishmael
4774th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

"Re(1):Radio" , posted Fri 6 Dec 00:40post reply

quote:

That film is on my eventual "to do" list. At some point during the holidays I'm certain that hiding out in a dark movie theater for a few hours will be a welcome distraction.

This is barely related to games so I might as well note it here, but I have been enjoying the way video games are being discussed on National Public Radio. I suspect that NPR is underestimating how game-savvy a portion of their listeners are but I like that game reporting is approached with the same modulated, tweedy style that NPR uses for all its reports. It's refreshing to hear games discussed using an approach that's different from the typical screaming podcasts and corporate events where everything constantly explodes into confetti made out of Doritos.

badoor
352th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK/PSVITA:BadoorUSA
XBL: BadoorSNK/WiiU:BadoorSNK
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Movies" , posted Fri 6 Dec 01:00post reply

quote:

It seems that as soon as Pixar started making less-than-stellar movies, Disney's other cg animation studio (the one that was initially their only internal one*) started making really good movies, often better than Pixar's output and maybe with the same consistency. I was hoping the same would happen with Dreamworks since I really loved How To Train Your Dragon, but so far I don't think any of their recent movies reach the same level. I'm hoping the sequel would be as great.

I think it's partially because Walt Disney Animation Studios still only put out 1 movie per year, the same output as Pixar's. While Dreamworks push 2 even 3 movies a year. Anyway, I guess I'll check out Frozen then. I heard lots of praises elsewhere for it.

* not to be confused with DisneyToon Studios, the ones who did Planes this year and handle all the direct-to-VHS/DVD/Video sequels. I don't think they ever did anything special since A Goofy Movie

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/

karasu99
1267th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Radio" , posted Fri 6 Dec 01:27post reply

quote:

This is barely related to games so I might as well note it here

Nope, nope, foul! This is the non-gaming random thread! That's ten points deducted! From what I have no idea, but Professor, I'm sure you'll make note of this infraction.

quote:
but I have been enjoying the way video games are being discussed on National Public Radio. I suspect that NPR is underestimating how game-savvy a portion of their listeners are but I like that game reporting is approached with the same modulated, tweedy style that NPR uses for all its reports. It's refreshing to hear games discussed using an approach that's different from the typical screaming podcasts and corporate events where everything constantly explodes into confetti made out of Doritos.

Even though I'm an avid NPR listener I still bristle when I hear their reporting, despite often appreciating the coverage. I think it's because even their tech reporting has the flavor of a pre-1970 level of technical awareness where things like cordless telephones and video cassette recorders need to have air quotes applied to them by the anchor.

I suppose I'm being unfair and overly colorful, and you're right, there is a certain quiet comfort characteristic of public radio that's not often applied to the subject matter.

Come to think of it, the low key character of this very Cafe has a lot in common with that, since no one (these days) arrives here red-faced, frothing, and ready to scream about this or that.

www.secret-arts.com

Spoon
2520th Post

"Re(2):Movies" , posted Fri 6 Dec 03:51post reply

quote:
It seems that as soon as Pixar started making less-than-stellar movies, Disney's other cg animation studio (the one that was initially their only internal one*) started making really good movies, often better than Pixar's output and maybe with the same consistency. I was hoping the same would happen with Dreamworks since I really loved How To Train Your Dragon, but so far I don't think any of their recent movies reach the same level. I'm hoping the sequel would be as great.

I think it's partially because Walt Disney Animation Studios still only put out 1 movie per year, the same output as Pixar's. While Dreamworks push 2 even 3 movies a year. Anyway, I guess I'll check out Frozen then. I heard lots of praises elsewhere for it.

* not to be confused with DisneyToon Studios, the ones who did Planes this year and handle all the direct-to-VHS/DVD/Video sequels. I don't think they ever did anything special since A Goofy Movie

Pixar's next few movies, Inside Out and Good Dinosaur, will be excellent A+ movies of the high standard we are more normally accustomed to seeing from Pixar.

I do agree that Pixar's last few movies haven't been as strong as they historically have been. Brave isn't a BAD movie, it's just an A- when we're used to A+'s. MU is good, just not as great as Monsters inc. Cars 2 was made because Disney asked them to generate a crapton of money.

If there's a key difference, I think it's in the story team for Disney. Jennifer Lee was the head writer for Wreck-It-Ralph and Frozen, and her brand of twists on convention, depressed protagonists, and cunning villains is refreshing. Technologically, Disney research has really kicked it up over the past several years, and not just because of Pixar: they've got a significant amount of original research going on.

Pixar's recruited some amazing talent fairly recently, too. To name one, Dice Tsutsumi, who led the coloring for MU, is pretty fantastic.

nobinobita
1233th Post

"Re(3):Radio" , posted Fri 6 Dec 04:27:post reply

quote:

Even though I'm an avid NPR listener I still bristle when I hear their reporting, despite often appreciating the coverage. I think it's because even their tech reporting has the flavor of a pre-1970 level of technical awareness where things like cordless telephones and video cassette recorders need to have air quotes applied to them by the anchor.

I suppose I'm being unfair and overly colorful, and you're right, there is a certain quiet comfort characteristic of public radio that's not often applied to the subject matter.

Come to think of it, the low key character of this very Cafe has a lot in common with that, since no one (these

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

I agree with both of you dudes. I feel like their news coverage on games sometimes feels a little stilted, but it is really cool that they're paying attention, and their reporting is way way ahead of the curve.

If I may be honest ... it's their editorials on games that bug me, simply cos their writing staff has very different tastes in games than me.

For instance, they love the heck out of Bioshock:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2013/10/01/227803856/bioshock-blasts-its-way-into-the-future-of-storytelling

And i HATE those games with a nearly religious fervor >: [

All the articles praising that game read like a press release with emphasis on the same key words "artistic" "art deco" "Ayn Rand" and "moral choices." I wish they'd post something a little less conventional, a little more thoughtful. I'd much rather hear Pollyana's rants on how Senran Kagura's hot blooded tone eclipses its superficial fan service. But instead I get to read dozens of articles on how Braid is a critique of male entitlement (YAWN).

This is more of a criticism against games journalism at large than just NPR though. They're doing a really great job, especially for a mainstream general news source.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Fri 6 Dec 04:30]

Maese
725th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Radio" , posted Fri 6 Dec 10:35post reply

quote:

This is barely related to games so I might as well note it here, but I have been enjoying the way video games are being discussed on National Public Radio. I suspect that NPR is underestimating how game-savvy a portion of their listeners are but I like that game reporting is approached with the same modulated, tweedy style that NPR uses for all its reports.

Wait... You do have public radio in America?! And people actually listens to it?!

nobinobita
1233th Post

"Re(3):Radio" , posted Fri 6 Dec 11:47post reply

quote:

This is barely related to games so I might as well note it here, but I have been enjoying the way video games are being discussed on National Public Radio. I suspect that NPR is underestimating how game-savvy a portion of their listeners are but I like that game reporting is approached with the same modulated, tweedy style that NPR uses for all its reports.

Wait... You do have public radio in America?! And people actually listens to it?!

Yup! And it's great!

http://www.npr.org/

I think it's the best source for news in the US. They have all sorts of great programs outside of the news too. Lots of cool op eds, stuff about the arts and human interest stories.

They tend to do great interviews too:

http://www.npr.org/2011/10/24/141657899/guillermo-del-toros-eternal-monster-obsession

www.art-eater.com

Mosquiton
1953th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):Radio" , posted Fri 6 Dec 12:40:post reply

quote:

For instance, they love the heck out of Bioshock:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2013/10/01/227803856/bioshock-blasts-its-way-into-the-future-of-storytelling

And i HATE those games with a nearly religious fervor >: [

I have some real problems with Bioshock Infinite, personally. The way they handle race/class/revolution is really problematic to me, and having the protagonist constantly speak and express opinions makes me feel like the personal valet to a real asshole. Being the vehicle for someone else's consciousness in a first-person game honestly irritates the hell out of me.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Fri 6 Dec 12:41]

Professor
3959th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Unity programming language gets mascot" , posted Tue 17 Dec 11:45post reply

Since I know there's some programmers who read this BBS, here's something that's interesting.

The Unity game programming platform is getting its own mascot character named "Unity-chan". The company's Japanese office is behind the project and likewise to the Unity engine itself, the character will be released as a 3D model for download as well.

Official site
http://unity-chan.com/

Escapist Magazine's coverage
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130561-Unity-Game-Engine-Obtains-Anime-Mascot-Named-Unity-chan

karasu99
1271th Post

"Re(1):Unity programming language gets mascot" , posted Wed 18 Dec 02:01post reply

quote:
Since I know there's some programmers who read this BBS, here's something that's interesting.

The Unity game programming platform is getting its own mascot character named "Unity-chan". The company's Japanese office is behind the project and likewise to the Unity engine itself, the character will be released as a 3D model for download as well.

Official site

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130561-Unity-Game-Engine-Obtains-Anime-Mascot-Named-Unity-chan

Hahaha, that's great! Thanks for the link Professor!

I have to say, I was prepared for the design to be terrible and/or corny but she's not half bad!

I wonder how many joke games will get made using her character model?

www.secret-arts.com

Gojira
3003th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(1):Unity programming language gets mascot" , posted Wed 18 Dec 03:23post reply

LOL I am quite speechless from seeing this. It's like we're back in the OS-tan boom. Or are those still being made? I haven't been following it.

Spoon
2524th Post

"Re(1):Unity programming language gets mascot" , posted Wed 18 Dec 04:41post reply

quote:

Official site

Me and some of my friends and co-workers have been discussing this, and one of the things that we wonder about is just what this design is supposed to represent.

Because if you took away the Unity label on the slider of her jacket zipper, there's really nothing about her design that suggests anything about what Unity is or what Unity represents aside from maybe "youth".

But given that the entire group of people interested in OS-tans are computer literate and a very large chunk of them like video games, it's a campaign that is certainly targeted at the right demographic.

Baines
398th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Unity programming language gets mascot" , posted Wed 18 Dec 08:11:post reply

quote:
Because if you took away the Unity label on the slider of her jacket zipper, there's really nothing about her design that suggests anything about what Unity is or what Unity represents aside from maybe "youth".

Recognition could theoretically deal with itself.

Unity is a 3D game development program with a free version. The mascot assets will apparently be made available early next year. If the character is appealing enough, then you will see multiple small games that use her. Perhaps enough that she can become the face of Unity just by being seen in enough Unity products.

Unity currently doesn't have much of a face anyway, at least not in a positive way. Their logo is fairly basic, and there is little in the way of imagery to stand out. (Edit: By "not in a positive way", I mean stuff like the tendency for Unity games to have limited to no configuration options in-game, or things that are neither negative or positive like the general recognizably of Unity's physics engine. Neither of which are things that lend themselves to mascot design anyway.)

[this message was edited by Baines on Wed 18 Dec 08:14]

Ishmael
4809th Post

"Re(3):Unity programming language gets mascot" , posted Mon 27 Jan 22:28post reply

Once again, here's something that's probably not worthy of its own thread so I'll hijack this one instead.

It looks as if there is yet another line of Street Fighter figures on the horizon. For so long games borrowed their ideas from other media so it's interesting to see that the visual style of games are now bleeding over into other forms of entertainment, such as influencing a toy sculpture. As for the figures themselves these are obviously very early prototypes but it looks like they are on the right track. I particularly like that some of the characters will have cloth uniforms -such as the top of Ryu's gi- to allow for better articulation. The one problem I can see is that all the characters seem to have the same expression. Hopefully they can fully capture that dead fish look Guile is so well known for in figure form.

chazumaru
1160th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"drugs in the 90s fashion industry = bestdrugs" , posted Tue 18 Feb 22:48post reply

I just fell in love with a girl but I am afraid
1. She comes from the distant future of our recent past.
2. She might secretly be Char Aznable.
3. She might transform at night into Kaneda's motorbike.
4. All of the above

i  n   t  h  e   f  a  s  t   l  a  n  e   ♪

Maou
2597th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh

"Re(1):drugs in the 90s fashion industry = bes" , posted Tue 18 Feb 23:03post reply

quote:

Ain't nothing to do but sing in that case. Du-du-du-du-du-du--du-du-DUUUU-du

Lap 1, start!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

chazumaru
1162th Post

"Re(2):drugs in the 90s fashion industry = bes" , posted Tue 18 Feb 23:18:post reply

There is only one correct soundtrack.

嵐 

瓦礫 

炎 

破片 

街 

竜巻 

力 

光
            ヤツら 
                   祭り     空 

仲間 

走る

ラッセラ 

ラッセラ 

ラッセラッセ 
                           ラッセラ

ラッセラ 
           ラッセラ 
          ラッセラッセ 
           ラッセラ

ラッセラ 
                      ラッセラ 
                     ラッセラッセ 
                      ラッセラ

ラッセラ 
 ラッセラ 
ラッセラッセ 
 ラッセラ

ラッセ 
           ラッセ 
           ラッセ 
           ラッセ 
           ラッセ 
           ラッセ 
    ラッセラ  ラッセ 
       ラッセ 
                  ラッセ 
       ラッセ 
                    ラッセ 
     ラッセ          ラッセラ

ラッセ ラッセ      ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ
     ラッセ ラッセ      ラッセ ラッセ      ラッセ ラッセ 
     ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセ ラッセラ

drugs in the 90s fashion industry = best drugs ever

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Tue 18 Feb 23:21]

Maou
2598th Post

"Re(3):drugs in the 90s fashion industry = bes" , posted Wed 19 Feb 12:45post reply

quote:
ラッセ
I'm telling you, chaz, your motorbike-humanoid-90's-girlfriend will be nothing but heartbreak (heartbrake) and you should stick with women who are near cars as opposed to dressed like them. Here, go hang out with our old friend Nagase Reiko.

Professor
4008th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Google Mapped" , posted Thu 6 Mar 21:09post reply

Holy Pomeranian! The new Google Map update makes some streets look like something right out of Tokyo Jungle. The maps are heavier overall and Lite mode isn't really "light" as before either.

I'm going to have fun browsing through the streets with the Pseudo-PS1 graphics though.

HAYATO
1181th Post

PSN: Lord-Hayato

"Re(1):drugs in the 90s fashion industry = bes" , posted Fri 7 Mar 06:32post reply

quote:
4. All of the above

By pointing this out you, dear sir, have just made my day. This tumblr is pure bliss!! And what a playlist it has!! Now, time to spend some extra hours digging some obscure tracks out from the Internet...

nobinobita
1268th Post

"Re(1):drugs in the 90s fashion industry = bes" , posted Fri 7 Mar 08:06post reply

quote:
4. All of the above

So good! I wonder if that designer inspired Kazuma Kaneko's design for Artemis in Persona 2

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090319235049/megamitensei/images/2/2d/P2_Artemis.PNG

www.art-eater.com

red falcon
6197th Post

PSN: Rugalbgood
XBL: RugalBGood
Wii: Doesitmatter?

"Re(2):drugs in the 90s fashion industry = bes" , posted Fri 7 Mar 13:42post reply

quote:

By pointing this out you, dear sir, have just made my day. This tumblr is pure bliss!! And what a playlist it has!! Now, time to spend some extra hours digging some obscure tracks out from the Internet...

The first song it played for me, which I believe it was calling "True Hollywood Crime" or something, is music from the movie "CHUD".

chazumaru
1168th Post

"Re(3):drugs in the 90s fashion industry" , posted Mon 10 Mar 01:39post reply

quote:

So good! I wonder if that designer inspired Kazuma Kaneko's design for Artemis in Persona 2
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090319235049/megamitensei/images/2/2d/P2_Artemis.PNG

For your visual reference, the dress/suit is from Thierry Mugler. It apparently comes from around 1990/1991.

Also this is a really interesting read on a music collective that took a major part in the Akira soundtrack.

HAYATO
1183th Post

"Geinoh Yamashirogumi FTW" , posted Tue 11 Mar 00:52post reply

quote:

Also this is a really interesting read on a music collective that took a major part in the Akira soundtrack.

Wow, it's been a long time since I heard such powerful and evocative songs! I can't thank you enough for bringing this great music collective to my attention.

karasu
1338th Post

"Re(1):Geinoh Yamashirogumi FTW" , posted Tue 11 Mar 05:56post reply

quote:

Wow, it's been a long time since I heard such powerful and evocative songs! I can't thank you enough for bringing this great music collective to my attention.

Seconded! This is extremely valuable information!

www.secret-arts.com

HAYATO
1184th Post

"More music discussion..." , posted Wed 12 Mar 00:30post reply

quote:
4. All of the above

After a bit of lurking, I've managed to get some info about the playlist sported in the 80s-themed tumblr which Chazumaru so kindly brought to our attention. Most of the themes (if not all) come from a vaporwave compilation made by Fortune500. These compilations are free to download from his bandcamp website, although those willing to donate/pay for them can do so as well.

Particularly noteworthy are the albums "The Music of the Now Age" and "The Music of the Now Age II", the perfect introduction to this new? music genre that is vaporwave. Enjoy, my fellow melomaniacs!

chazumaru
1171th Post

"Re(1):More music discussion..." , posted Wed 12 Mar 20:24:post reply

Wow there is almost 3GB of music on that site... I probably don't know enough about music to understand how Vaporwave differentiates itself from Chillwave but fortunately, some people are here to help. Chillwave for marxists! OK.

Speaking of atmospheric music, I also really like Pajjama's recent Karakasa.

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Wed 12 Mar 20:25]

HAYATO
1185th Post

"Re(2):More music discussion..." , posted Sat 15 Mar 07:00post reply

quote:
Wow there is almost 3GB of music on that site... I probably don't know enough about music to understand how Vaporwave differentiates itself from Chillwave but fortunately, some people are here to help. Chillwave for marxists! OK.

Speaking of atmospheric music, I also really like Pajjama's recent Karakasa.

Thanks for the links to those Vaporwave essays, they were very illustrative! About Pajjama's sound, I found it too experimental for my personal taste, but it's exotic and interesting nonetheless.

For those looking for some ambient, film-like scores I'd suggest Peter Nanasi's album, "Colours of Moments". If you liked Vincent Diamante's work on "Flower" , you'll absolutely love this. This astronomy video featuring his "Getting Closer" is a good example of what to expect of him...

Professor
4017th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Pokemon baking mold" , posted Mon 17 Mar 07:09:post reply

Pikachu Baking mold
http://pic.twitter.com/AxgIMo3tXK

Sample Photo
http://pic.twitter.com/n0ji96Rl7q

Reality
http://pic.twitter.com/bqygLqco4f

Kids are going to have nightmares when they get this

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 18 Mar 02:31]

karasu
1345th Post

"Re(1):Pokemon baking mold" , posted Tue 18 Mar 01:56post reply

quote:
Pikachu Baking mold
pic.twitter.com/AxgIMo3tXK

Sample Photo
pic.twitter.com/n0ji96Rl7q

Reality
pic.twitter.com/bqygLqco4f

Professor, I've been laughing like crazy about this for the last day or so each time I visit the Cafe and see the subject of this post. Awesome find!

www.secret-arts.com

Toxico
5897th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(1):Pokemon baking mold" , posted Tue 18 Mar 02:40post reply

quote:

Heh, that looks like something that needs to be hunted down and eating to extinction.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

Maou
2612th Post

"Re(1):Pokemon baking mold" , posted Tue 18 Mar 09:44post reply

Prof, this reminds me of the good old food-related updates on the main Cafe page amidst the game news! I think that photo of the ramen-eating guy is still up there somewhere. Now who can make some fanart...

Ishmael
4845th Post

"Latest Lupin" , posted Fri 21 Mar 21:38post reply

Takeshi Koike is directing a new Lupin movie that spotlights Jigen. How nice, someone made a movie just for me!

Maou
2614th Post

"Re(1):Latest Lupin" , posted Fri 21 Mar 23:56post reply

quote:
Takeshi Koike is directing a new Lupin movie that spotlights Jigen.
Great find, Jigen Ishmael! And it's being directed by Koike Takeshi, who did the (marvelous) character designs and animation direction for the (occasionally marvelous) Fujiko TV series. Maybe this will have the best of both worlds, with all the grit and raunchiness but without any of the overwrought psychological flashbacks or...Oscar.

He also directed Redline, which I do believe Nobi liked thiiiis much.

nobinobita
1271th Post

"Re(2):Latest Lupin" , posted Sat 22 Mar 03:32post reply

quote:
Takeshi Koike is directing a new Lupin movie that spotlights Jigen. Great find, Jigen Ishmael! And it's being directed by Koike Takeshi, who did the (marvelous) character designs and animation direction for the (occasionally marvelous) Fujiko TV series. Maybe this will have the best of both worlds, with all the grit and raunchiness but without any of the overwrought psychological flashbacks or...Oscar.

I'm unspeakably excited about this! Koike is indeed one of my favorite artists and directors and Jigen's always been my favorite Lupin III character! This is a perfect match! Thanks for the heads up!

(Maou also totally agree with your assessment that the Fujiko show was "occasionally marvelous" haha)

www.art-eater.com

Maese
740th Post

"Re(3):Latest Lupin" , posted Tue 25 Mar 11:24post reply

quote:
Takeshi Koike is directing a new Lupin movie that spotlights Jigen. Great find, Jigen Ishmael! And it's being directed by Koike Takeshi, who did the (marvelous) character designs and animation direction for the (occasionally marvelous) Fujiko TV series. Maybe this will have the best of both worlds, with all the grit and raunchiness but without any of the overwrought psychological flashbacks or...Oscar.

I'm unspeakably excited about this! Koike is indeed one of my favorite artists and directors and Jigen's always been my favorite Lupin III character! This is a perfect match! Thanks for the heads up!

(Maou also totally agree with your assessment that the Fujiko show was "occasionally marvelous" haha)

Woah, didn't see this one coming, but it sure looks interesting. However, don't get too excited, dear Jigen fans. Judging by the flick's title ("Jigen's gravepost"), maybe things are gonna be a bit ugly for our beloved misanthropic gunman!

Ishmael
4847th Post

"Re(4):Latest Lupin" , posted Tue 25 Mar 21:45post reply

quote:
Woah, didn't see this one coming, but it sure looks interesting. However, don't get too excited, dear Jigen fans. Judging by the flick's title ("Jigen's gravepost"), maybe things are gonna be a bit ugly for our beloved misanthropic gunman!

Most Jigen centered stories seem to feature doomed love affairs so I'm expecting Jigen's going to have yet another woman drop dead on him. That, and I also wonder if the title might mean that this is Kiyoshi Kobayashi's swan song?

holiday
2615th Post

"Balrog Highlight Video" , posted Sat 29 Mar 11:42post reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5EwJvnYEgs

Professor
4032th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Chile Earthquake" , posted Wed 2 Apr 13:10post reply

Another big one in Chile today-- hope our obscene voodoo teleport dancer is fine.

Toxico
5902th Post

"Re(1):Chile Earthquake" , posted Wed 2 Apr 13:38post reply

quote:
Another big one in Chile today-- hope our obscene voodoo teleport dancer is fine.

I didn't even felt it. It was far to the north, we are on tsunami warning and I keep getting spam mail on how I should evacuate to a safe area (when I live in one).

The Tsunami should reach Japan, btw.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

karasu
1360th Post

"Re(2):Chile Earthquake" , posted Thu 3 Apr 08:42post reply

quote:
I didn't even felt it. It was far to the north, we are on tsunami warning and I keep getting spam mail on how I should evacuate to a safe area (when I live in one).

The Tsunami should reach Japan, btw.

Well, I'm glad you're well. Are you somewhere around Santiago, or even further south than that?

In game related news, anyone who has a PS4 and PS Plus needs to go home right now and download Mercenary Kings. Granted: it's no Metal Slug (it feels a bit more like Contra without the forced scroll and arcade difficulty), but Paul Robertson's art and animations are without peer and give the game a lot of character. I'm wearing a little thin on '8-bit' style retro-ish type stuff but if you've got to play a faux-retro side scroller, this should probably be it. Oh, and it's been out on Steam for a bit for those who aren't NEXTGEN yet.

ALSO: Monument Valley is out, for iPads only for the time being (Android coming soon, apparently). I had a chance to play it at GDC and while I don't think it's fair to compare it with the exquisite Echochrome, it's still mighty nice looking and has an amazing soundtrack. Go buy it because the devs are super nice folks who have crafted a truly beautiful thing.

www.secret-arts.com

badoor
367th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Chile Earthquake" , posted Thu 3 Apr 22:10post reply

Glad to hear everyone is well. I hope & pray for the safety of those affected.
quote:
In game related news, anyone who has a PS4 and PS Plus needs to go home right now and download Mercenary Kings. Granted: it's no Metal Slug (it feels a bit more like Contra without the forced scroll and arcade difficulty), but Paul Robertson's art and animations are without peer and give the game a lot of character. I'm wearing a little thin on '8-bit' style retro-ish type stuff but if you've got to play a faux-retro side scroller, this should probably be it. Oh, and it's been out on Steam for a bit for those who aren't NEXTGEN yet.
Hmm...I've been hearing very mixed thoughts about it, even way back when it was demoed at PAX and such. Seems like the open ended-ness of it dilutes the intense action that's such a staple of Metal Slug & Contra. But hey it's PS+ free so I'll give it a go anyway.

quote:
ALSO: Monument Valley is out, for iPads only for the time being (Android coming soon, apparently). I had a chance to play it at GDC and while I don't think it's fair to compare it with the exquisite Echochrome, it's still mighty nice looking and has an amazing soundtrack. Go buy it because the devs are super nice folks who have crafted a truly beautiful thing.

Oh Echochrome? That's really interesting. I was surprised that seemingly, not a lot of games used (or stole, but I feel like that gives a negative connotation to it.) the idea behind the first game. Strangely, it seems more games took from Echochrome 2, the one based on light & shadows (games like Lost In Shadow for Wii, Hudson's last ever game, RIP). Will look into Monument Valley, though it's been ages since I used my iPad.

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/

Spoon
2582th Post

"GOJIRA" , posted Tue 8 Apr 09:26:post reply

More hints that it's Destroy All Monsters.

Hype?

[this message was edited by Spoon on Tue 8 Apr 09:30]

Ishmael
4859th Post

"Re(1):GOJIRA" , posted Tue 8 Apr 23:41post reply

quote:

Hype?

As long as it doesn't take any cues from the King of the Monsters game series everything should be fine. While it looks like this new Godzilla movie is going to be good there's no way I can judge it fairly. Whenever Godzilla pops up my maturity level regresses to that of a five year old* and I get unreasonably excited at the sight of a giant monster stomping around town.

*My normal maturity level is that of a twelve year old.

Gojira
3035th Post

"Re(1):GOJIRA" , posted Wed 9 Apr 07:56post reply

quote:

Hype?

I'm glad the nuclear roots of the beast seem to be fairly represented. So the evidence is that there is not only Godzilla, but possibly other kaijuu as well? If that happens I may just shit my pants.

Is Gamera part of that franchise umbrella? This movie needs a giant turtle to show Michael Bay how giant mutated turtles are actually done.

Baines
405th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):GOJIRA" , posted Wed 9 Apr 08:18:post reply

quote:
Whenever Godzilla pops up my maturity level regresses to that of a five year old* and I get unreasonably excited at the sight of a giant monster stomping around town.

I want to like it. But then I remember the previous US Godzilla.

The trailer also showed some poorly acted and potentially boring not-Godzilla scenes. That is a traditional Godzilla formula, but will that work these days?

I can't help but think of the reaction of a couple of kids (both around ten years old) after seeing Pacific Rim. One was an okay Godzilla fan and the other was a big Godzilla fan, but they both agreed that they liked Pacific Rim better than Godzilla movies. Why? Their answer was that Pacific Rim was (in their eyes) all action, while most of any Godzilla film is boring stuff. Neither has shown as much interest in watching a Godzilla film since seeing Pacific Rim.

[this message was edited by Baines on Wed 9 Apr 08:20]

Spoon
2582th Post

"Re(3):GOJIRA" , posted Wed 9 Apr 14:30post reply

quote:
Whenever Godzilla pops up my maturity level regresses to that of a five year old* and I get unreasonably excited at the sight of a giant monster stomping around town.

The trailer also showed some poorly acted and potentially boring not-Godzilla scenes. That is a traditional Godzilla formula, but will that work these days?

I can't help but think of the reaction of a couple of kids (both around ten years old) after seeing Pacific Rim. One was an okay Godzilla fan and the other was a big Godzilla fan, but they both agreed that they liked Pacific Rim better than Godzilla movies. Why? Their answer was that Pacific Rim was (in their eyes) all action, while most of any Godzilla film is boring stuff. Neither has shown as much interest in watching a Godzilla film since seeing Pacific Rim.

I think if you asked most 10 year old kids what they'd remember about a Godzilla movie, it's Godzilla stomping around doing Godzilla things, and not metaphors/allegories for hubris and war.

And that's ok!

nobinobita
1279th Post

"Re(4):GOJIRA" , posted Wed 9 Apr 15:20:post reply

quote:

I think if you asked most 10 year old kids what they'd remember about a Godzilla movie, it's Godzilla stomping around doing Godzilla things, and not metaphors/allegories for hubris and war.

And that's ok!

I grew up loving Godzilla, catching it on TV and VHS. I remember my mom told me that when she was young the original Godzilla was actually considered a horror film (she would have seen it in Taiwan way back in the day). Just the very idea of Godzilla was terrifying. I couldn't really wrap my head around that till many years later I caught the very first Godzilla flick at an AFI theater and man, it blew my mind. It was such a dark film through and through! Even with all the crude special fx i thought it held incredibly well, especially in it's tone. It's a surprisingly understated movie. The scenes with Godzilla aren't very sensationalized, they play out almost like a documentary with this lumbering giant very systematically destroying everything in its path rendering all onlookers impotent helpless bystanders.

I was overwhelmed with emotion trying to imagine what it must have been like to see the film in its first run with the wounds of the atomic bombs still fresh.

I hope the new one's even half as good. At the very least it should have some great special effects. I'm just very afraid of the inevitable heavy hand Hollywood will take with the more "serious" themes. But then again, that's appropriate as Godzilla is a mutant that always reflects the times.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Wed 9 Apr 15:21]

Spoon
2583th Post

"Re(5):GOJIRA" , posted Wed 9 Apr 16:14post reply

quote:
I grew up loving Godzilla, catching it on TV and VHS. I remember my mom told me that when she was young the original Godzilla was actually considered a horror film (she would have seen it in Taiwan way back in the day). Just the very idea of Godzilla was terrifying. I couldn't really wrap my head around that till many years later I caught the very first Godzilla flick at an AFI theater and man, it blew my mind. It was such a dark film through and through! Even with all the crude special fx i thought it held incredibly well, especially in it's tone. It's a surprisingly understated movie. The scenes with Godzilla aren't very sensationalized, they play out almost like a documentary with this lumbering giant very systematically destroying everything in its path rendering all onlookers impotent helpless bystanders.

I was overwhelmed with emotion trying to imagine what it must have been like to see the film in its first run with the wounds of the atomic bombs still fresh.

I hope the new one's even half as good. At the very least it should have some great special effects. I'm just very afraid of the inevitable heavy hand Hollywood will take with the more "serious" themes. But then again, that's appropriate as Godzilla is a mutant that always reflects the times.

The depiction of Godzilla has certainly run a gamut from its initial version. The original one is probably the darkest in tone, with a huge series of the successive ones being campy kaiju things. Even some of the more serious ones, like the 1985 one (which was the first one I ever saw entirely!), don't seem to manage that quality of getting you to suspend your disbelief and take the whole thing very seriously, which can be blamed on a combination of things.

I (still) haven't watched Cloverfield (even though I've been meaning to!), but I wonder about the found-footage/war-reporter documentary style of depiction as a way of making something that might not engender that feeling of seriousness in the viewer working better. The more visceral quality of that kind of movie somewhat detracts from being able to give a grander view that promotes thoughtfulness, though, which I think was crucial to the development of the original Godzilla movie.

Speaking of found-footage monster movies, did you ever see The Troll Hunter?

chazumaru
1194th Post

"Sorry Ishmael..." , posted Wed 9 Apr 18:47post reply

... But the Lupin movie predictably looks like shit.

はじめてじゃないのさ、いつでも一緒なら、さ・わ・や・か・TAS~TY☆

Baines
407th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):GOJIRA" , posted Wed 9 Apr 22:03:post reply

quote:
The depiction of Godzilla has certainly run a gamut from its initial version. The original one is probably the darkest in tone, with a huge series of the successive ones being campy kaiju things. Even some of the more serious ones, like the 1985 one (which was the first one I ever saw entirely!), don't seem to manage that quality of getting you to suspend your disbelief and take the whole thing very seriously, which can be blamed on a combination of things.

2001's Giant Monsters All-Out Attack felt dark, though it never felt serious, in a "this could happen" way. It did make Godzilla feel dangerous again, though.

[this message was edited by Baines on Wed 9 Apr 22:04]

Maou
2628th Post

"Re(1):Sorry Ishmael..." , posted Thu 10 Apr 02:51post reply

quote:
... But the Lupin movie predictably looks like shit.

After all, there was no way a new live action Lupin could top the maximally groovy Strange Pscyhokinetic Strategy and its fab 1970's camp.

More troubling is that this reminds me that there hasn't been a Lupin III in theaters since the near-perfect Dead or Alive from...1995?!?!

Ishmael
4861th Post

"Re(2):Sorry Ishmael..." , posted Thu 10 Apr 03:52post reply

It's not really surprising that the live action Lupin doesn't look like all that considering it's being directed by Ryuhei Kitamura. I swear that guy and Paul W.S. Anderson are the same person.

I am surprised that, of all things, the film is staying true to the traditional cut of Lupin's slacks and his shoes. What a strange area in which to be faithful.

quote:
More troubling is that this reminds me that there hasn't been a Lupin III in theaters since the near-perfect Dead or Alive from...1995?!?!

Didn't Lupin co-star in the latest Conan movie back in December? That one may not actually count but between the live action flick and the Jigen film we're still getting quite a bit of Lupin cinema after a long draught.

Professor
4038th Post

MMCafe Owner

"The Truth about... Penguins" , posted Fri 11 Apr 18:36post reply

I guess I should post this!

P e n g u i n s h a v e k n e e s .

http://fesoku.net/archives/7076484.html

Ishmael
4862th Post

"Re(1):The Truth about... Penguins" , posted Tue 15 Apr 03:03post reply

Speaking of random, I recently read the book Starting Point: 1979-1996 by Hayao Miyazaki. In recent years Miyazaki has been viewed in some quarters as something of a grouchy old man who complains about any old thing. But when reading over his old interviews and writings it becomes clear he's been like this since day one. An amazing high point in the book was his eulogy to Osamu Tezuka in which he spent over half the remembrance declaring that all of Tezuka's animation projects were self-indulgent nonsense. Beating things until they are bloody and inert is simply the way Miyazaki interacts with the world. Miyazaki doesn't behave this way because he's psychotic, rather he is fascinated with trying to understand the reasons behind actions and is constantly trying to stave off complacency. While he is not only trying to push Japanese animation and his own studio with that taskmaster attitude most of his critical thinking is directed back at himself. The self-portrait on the cover of him neurotically chain-smoking while hunched over a drawing board is probably a much more accurate representation of Miyazaki than the smiling grandfatherly portrait that shows up in press releases. For a book that was little more than a collection of clippings, Starting Point turned out to provide quite a bit of insight into the life of a complex artist and the difficulty and hard work that goes into the creative process.

Youloute
1th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):The Truth about... Penguins" , posted Tue 15 Apr 05:07post reply

Ishmael > You probably already know that Viz released Turning Point: 1997-2008 a few days ago.

nobinobita
1281th Post

"Re(2):The Truth about... Miyazaki" , posted Tue 15 Apr 06:09:post reply

Turning Point is such a great book! Thanks for the heads up that the followup is out. I had no idea! Purchasing it now :D

quote:
Speaking of random, I recently read the book Starting Point: 1979-1996 by Hayao Miyazaki. In recent years Miyazaki has been viewed in some quarters as something of a grouchy old man who complains about any old thing. But when reading over his old interviews and writings it becomes clear he's been like this since day one. An amazing high point in the book was his eulogy to Osamu Tezuka in which he spent over half the remembrance declaring that all of Tezuka's animation projects were self-indulgent nonsense. Beating things until they are bloody and inert is simply the way Miyazaki interacts with the world. Miyazaki doesn't behave this way because he's psychotic, rather he is fascinated with trying to understand the reasons behind actions and is constantly trying to stave off complacency. While he is not only trying to push Japanese animation and his own studio with that taskmaster attitude most of his critical thinking is directed back at himself. The self-portrait on the cover of him neurotically chain-smoking while hunched over a drawing board is probably a much more accurate representation of Miyazaki than the smiling grandfatherly portrait that shows up in press releases. For a book

Haha yeah it really cracks me up how Americans tend to see Miyazaki as this magical kind grandfatherly figure (literally):

http://technabob.com/blog/2014/01/17/hayao-miyazaki-figurine/

I guess it's easy to assume that from his movies, but everyone I know who's met him in real life has mentioned that he emits this incredibly intimidating confident aura.

A few years back some friends of mine got to briefly meet Miyazaki behind the scenes when he visited Comic Con. There was a point where he was addressing questions from the press as John Lasseter stood attentively behind him.

Someone asked him "what do you think of Pixar's films?"

Miyazaki responded: "I haven't seen them"

Someone else asked him "what do you think of 3d animation?"

Without a pause, Miyazaki stated "Doing too much 3d makes you forget your own sensibilities as an artist. 3d is like a disease that spreads from the monitor, through your fingers, up your arm and rots your brain"

I'm paraphrasing a lot, but basically he doesn't mince words, he's just awesomely and confidently honest all the time no matter the situation. That's really refreshing!

Bonus Miyazaki Anecdote:
Years ago some friends of mine went to Japan to curate a Mary Blair show for Studio Ghibli. The show went over very well and they were invited to Miyazaki's office (this is super rare) where he thanked them in person and gave them super special Ghibli watches. They only met Miyazaki briefly, but they said that it seemed like Miyazaki was literally running a daycare center out of his office. But not just any old daycare, his idea of raising children was to basically empower them to pursue their interests as they please. For example, there was a toddler in the corner wielding a real hammer, bashing it into real nails in a wooden board.

Bonus Bonus Miyazaki Anecdote:
That same friend curated a Pixar show afterwards and got to meet John Lasseter. When they shook hands, they noticed they both had the super secret Ghibli watches. Lasseter, for a split second was visibly crestfallen that he was no longer the only man in America with the watch.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Tue 15 Apr 06:15]

Maou
2636th Post

"Re(3):The Truth about... Miyazaki" , posted Tue 15 Apr 06:28post reply

Goods points, Nobi+all. In a way, Miyazaki's stance probably shouldn't be a surprise for careful film watchers even if they haven't been able to read/hear the director speak prior to these translations. While people think of the "warmth" of Totoro and its environment, my theory has always been that there has been a purposeful ambiguity and darkness to his depictions of nature---as a place of wonder but also deserving of awe and fear---and this no doubt is reflective of a director who is no mere friendly, country-loving grandfather.

And to top it off, he does indeed profess to hate most animation, and it's always been comical to see this John Lasseter superfan of his tagging along, despite Miyazaki's not giving two damns for the American CG model. Actually, I was surprised to see Anno Hideaki playing as Horikoshi in the Wind Rises, because I think I remember reading a book years ago in which Miyazaki has harsh words for Evangelion and its ilk. Maybe I remember him being harsher than he was. Though let's not forget what words have been uttered about his son (fairly justly, looking at the wretched Gedo Senki/Tales of Earthsea he directed).

Maese
747th Post

"Re(4):The Truth about... Miyazaki" , posted Tue 15 Apr 10:44:post reply

quote:
Actually, I was surprised to see Anno Hideaki playing as Horikoshi in the Wind Rises, because I think I remember reading a book years ago in which Miyazaki has harsh words for Evangelion and its ilk. Maybe I remember him being harsher than he was. Though let's not forget what words have been uttered about his son (fairly justly, looking at the wretched Gedo Senki/Tales of Earthsea he directed).

I was under the same impression about Miyazaki and Anno's relationship, but actually it turns out that Anno (along with a bunch of Gainax's founding fathers) is some sort of pupil of Miyazaki. He has worked under him many times, even after establishing Gainax, if I recall correctly. Both studios used to be on the same neighborhood, so I can see Anno and his guys dropping by his senpai's den whenever Miyazaki would need an extra hand to meet a tight deadline.

Bonus anecdote: on an special making off TV show about Wind Rises, Miyazaki and Takahata wondered about who could convincingly voice the main character. They needed somebody "pure and passionate, someone who knew how it feels to live chasing impossible dreams" (I'm paraphrasing a lot, but you get the idea). An it seems that, in Miyazaki's mind, Anno would be the most fitting guy for that description, hence the wild idea of having him voicing young Hirokoshi Jiro. So maybe Miyazaki doesn't quite like Evangelion and all the otaku cult it has spawned, but I'd say he respects the phenomenon and the mastermind behind it for what they are. At the end of the day Evangelion is an awesome animation piece, and a person with a sharp eye for animation such as Miyazaki would surely aknowledge that.

Bonus bonus anecdote: When asked about his feelings about working as a seiyuu, Anno simply replied that "since it was Miyazaki-san himself who asked, I just couldn't refuse". There was a strong senpai-kouhai nuance on his words. So yeah, Miyazaki is a grumpy, moody old man, but he's kind of a fatherly figure for the industry nonetheless.

Edit/disclaimer: please forgive the over indulgent use of weeaboo jargon and japanese honorifics on this post.

[this message was edited by Maese on Tue 15 Apr 15:39]

Iggy
9742th Post

"The Truth about... Patlabor" , posted Tue 15 Apr 19:25post reply

Since I deeply dislike Miyazaki and it wouldn't add anything to the conversation, I'm just derailing the thread to talk about some interesting thoughts of Oshii Mamoru from an interview on the new Patlabor movie:

* The starting point of Patlabor is "bipedal giant robots are dumb"

* The movie is really true to the roots of Patlabor. It shows how bipedal robots are useless. The story really starts when someone asks the question "Who the hell thought that was a good idea in the first place?"

* Robots need to be automatic. If you need someone inside to pilot them, it defeats the purpose. They don't need legs, and they don't need a face either. But Japanese people like their robots huge and to climb inside to go into the fight. And it so happens that a police department had a guy who decided to drive that fetishism to its logical conclusion.

* But of course, I love them too (laughs). All guys love to see giant bipedal robots.

------------------

And if giant robots are not your thing, let me try with some Samura. Beautiful drawings of swordmanship inside.

chazumaru
1204th Post

"Re(2):The Truth about... Fatherhood" , posted Tue 15 Apr 20:08post reply

quote:
all of Tezuka's animation projects were self-indulgent nonsense.

Considering the self-indulgent hot turd he delivered with 風立ちぬ / The Wind Rises, I guess he was secretly making a meta-commentary that flew over my head like a paper plane. The terrible voice acting by Anno (not his fault, as pointed out above) was just the salty icing on the bitter cake.

quote:
Actually, I was surprised to see Anno Hideaki playing as Horikoshi in the Wind Rises, because I think I remember reading a book years ago in which Miyazaki has harsh words for Evangelion and its ilk.

Miyazaki treats Anno as the son he never had (they went in holiday trips together!), and treats his actual son as if he never had a son. But I would not blame Miyazaki for that; it's a bad idea for this kind of larger-than-life creator to reproduce anyway. Just look at how the kids of Victor Hugo turned out.

はじめてじゃないのさ、いつでも一緒なら、さ・わ・や・か・TAS~TY☆

Ishmael
4863th Post

"Re(3):The Truth about... Fatherhood" , posted Tue 15 Apr 22:59post reply

I wonder, if you mashed together the attitude of Geno Ikari and the look of the dad from Totoro you might end up with the version of Miyazaki that haunts Anno's dreams. Even though their relationship is complicated and shaped by two very distinct personalities it's still amazing that in spite of everything he has accomplished Anno still can't get out of Miyazaki's shadow. Anno is what, in his fifties at this point? You would think he would be old enough to turn down the ludicrous idea that he work as a voice actor. When Miyazaki finally ascends to the stars I suspect Anno's eulogy will read much differently than Miyazaki's critical take on Tezuka.

quote:
Ishmael > You probably already know that Viz released Turning Point: 1997-2008 a few days ago.

Thanks for the head's up, I'll add it to my queue!

quote:
For example, there was a toddler in the corner wielding a real hammer, bashing it into real nails in a wooden board.

Ha ha ha, that's awesome! I don't know if that's a good idea -and I suspect Miyazaki knows as little about child rearing as I do- but I love that he decided to try out his idea in his own office. Most people get exhausted just trying to think of ideas, never mind putting them into practice.

quote:
I'm just derailing the thread to talk about some interesting thoughts of Oshii Mamoru from an interview on the new Patlabor movie:

The only reason I watch or read anything from Oshii is for the basset hounds. Oshii can have as many thoughts about robots as he wants but if he wants to fill those theater seats he better bring the dogs.

Professor
4041th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Lupin the 3rd Jigen spinoff trailer" , posted Fri 18 Apr 09:44post reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGrfPqLe54M

Has a similar look to the Fujiko TV series!

Spoon
2585th Post

"Re(1):Lupin the 3rd Jigen spinoff trailer" , posted Sat 19 Apr 04:43post reply

The 9th chapter of High Score Girl is strangely wonderful now that it's available in English for those of us reliant on English translations.

"This time it's SNK releasing a fighting game called Fatal Fury..."

Maou
2642th Post

"Re(1):Lupin the 3rd Jigen spinoff trailer" , posted Mon 21 Apr 12:44post reply

quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGrfPqLe54M

Has a similar look to the Fujiko TV series!

Phew! It got off to a bad start with the same awful CG they had 12 years ago with the staggeringly bad 30 minute "The Magician Survived"/Return of Pycal OAV, but happily the hand-drawn art pulls right in and looks fantastic, like the Fujiko series as Prof says, though minus the Gankutsuou-esque psychadelic fabrics, and hopefully minus the bogus pathos (as opposed to good Lupanic pathos).

Ishmael
4867th Post

"Re(2):Lupin the 3rd Jigen spinoff trailer" , posted Mon 21 Apr 22:52post reply

I'm glad that even after all these years one of the things that remains consistent in Lupin is music that features a chorus ritualistically chanting Lupin's name.

Spoon
2598th Post

"Tomorrow's essay reading" , posted Sun 27 Apr 08:37:post reply

The english fan translation of the famous boxing manga Ashita no Joe wrapped up recently, and one of the head translators (who translates all kinds of other stuff and usually has all kinds of interesting things to say about translating and manga) wrote a huge long sleep-deprivation-fuelled essay about Ashita no Joe:

http://hoxtranslations.blogspot.com/2014/04/many-thoughts-on-good-manga-10.html#more

I'm curious if anybody here has any comments on this from a literary, art, history, or art history perspective of criticism. I feel like I can make up lots of reasonable interpretations for things happening in it and how it looks, but I'd like to know about it from a perspective informed of the era rather than just what seems reasonable to me now.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Sun 27 Apr 08:44]

karasu
1374th Post

"Re(1):Tomorrow's essay reading" , posted Sun 27 Apr 09:55post reply

quote:
The english fan translation of the famous boxing manga Ashita no Joe wrapped up recently, and one of the head translators (who translates all kinds of other stuff and usually has all kinds of interesting things to say about translating and manga) wrote a huge long sleep-deprivation-fuelled essay about Ashita no Joe:

http://hoxtranslations.blogspot.com/2014/04/many-thoughts-on-good-manga-10.html#more

I'm curious if anybody here has any comments on this from a literary, art, history, or art history perspective of criticism. I feel like I can make up lots of reasonable interpretations for things happening in it and how it looks, but I'd like to know about it from a perspective informed of the era rather than just what seems reasonable to me now.

Wow, thanks for linking to that! I'm a huge fan of 60's and 70's manga myself (particularly Yokoyama Mitsuteru's robot works like Tetsujin-28 and Babel II) and I've even read a bit of Ashita no Joe over the years. Just from a cursory glance, this guy really seems to have a great perspective. Let me read it, digest it, and I'm sure I'll have something to say by tomorrow!

www.secret-arts.com

Spoon
2598th Post

"GOJIRA asia trailer (mad spoilers?)" , posted Tue 29 Apr 14:30post reply

Confirms a few things, which I kind of didn't like because I was hoping to be more surprised.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
RODAN CONFIRMED GET HYPE

End of Spoiler

Ishmael
4871th Post

"Re(1):GOJIRA asia trailer (mad spoilers?)" , posted Wed 30 Apr 01:00post reply

quote:

I've always been frustrated that I've never read Ashita no Joe so now that there's a translation out there in the wild I'm going to have to plug up that hole in my reading backlog.

quote:
Confirms a few things, which I kind of didn't like because I was hoping to be more surprised.

Perhaps it's just me but it's a bit surprising that they are still putting out new trailers for Godzilla. It's not like Godzilla is a subtle, difficult concept so after one trailer you would think most people would know if they are in or out. That said, with all the pre-release info that has come out I still haven't seen Godzilla vomit radioactive death-rays. If you're going to hold something back for the movie I guess it might as well be his signature attack.

Gojira
3044th Post

"Re(2):GOJIRA asia trailer (mad spoilers?)" , posted Sat 3 May 10:57post reply

So following this trailer apparently some Japanese people thought Gojira was too fat and this has spread to every major news outlet on the internet as underhanded propaganda against fat shaming, nationalism, racism, anything within 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon.

How accurate is this news really? Although I know that Japan isn't exactly the extremely kind and gentle country they want the rest of the world to see, this really sounds blown out of proportion. Like someone took a few harmless joking comments, blew them up and threw them from sensationalist to sensationalationalist until Japan was now "enraged" and "shaming" the US over making Godzilla eat Deluxe Cheese Burger until he got a big butt and ruined everything forever.

nobinobita
1292th Post

"Re(3):GOJIRA asia trailer (mad spoilers?)" , posted Sat 3 May 11:13:post reply

quote:
So following this trailer apparently some Japanese people thought Gojira was too fat and this has spread to every major news outlet on the internet as underhanded propaganda against fat shaming, nationalism, racism, anything within 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon.

How accurate is this news really? Although I know that Japan isn't exactly the extremely kind and gentle country they want the rest of the world to see, this really sounds blown out of proportion. Like someone took a few harmless joking comments, blew them up and threw them from sensationalist to sensationalationalist until Japan was now "enraged" and "shaming" the US over making Godzilla eat Deluxe Cheese Burger until he got a big butt and ruined everything forever.

Haha I was just writing a Quora post that touches on this. Basically American news outlets (especially Kotaku) love to trawl 2chan and other Japanese message boards for incendiary remarks. This would be like grabbing quotes from 4chan or Youtube comments sections to get a pulse on America.

It's a great way to generate click bait because you can find all sorts of really crazy quotes (often times said jokingly to begin with).

I can't speak for what Japan thinks of the new Godzilla, but I can assure you that 99% of articles about Those Whacky Asians from the American press are carefully curated BS.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sat 3 May 11:14]

Toxico
5909th Post

"Re(4):GOJIRA asia trailer (mad spoilers?)" , posted Sun 11 May 20:09post reply

.... So, Doraemon to finally end. I doubt that they'll take a hint from the safe for work doujin that had a fan ending, since Shogakukan did a cease and desist order or whatever they are called.

.... I bet I'm the last one to heard of this.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

nobinobita
1293th Post

"Re(5):GOJIRA asia trailer (mad spoilers?)" , posted Tue 13 May 10:23post reply

quote:
.... So, Doraemon to finally end. I doubt that they'll take a hint from the safe for work doujin that had a fan ending, since Shogakukan did a cease and desist order or whatever they are called.

.... I bet I'm the last one to heard of this.

I LOVE that comic! It's the best ending possible to Doraemon. I don't think this movie will be the end of Doraemon though. Sounds like marketing hype.

Also I hope they don't continue making them in 3d. Especially cos the recent 2d features have had such lovely hand drawn animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG_e-uYQtg0

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
2602th Post

"Re(6):GOJIRA asia trailer (mad spoilers?)" , posted Sat 17 May 12:53post reply

I saw the new Godzilla, and it's certainly one of the best shot Godzilla movies of recent times. Maybe discussion after more of us have seen it?

Professor
4048th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Ramen Burger Time!" , posted Sun 18 May 19:09post reply

Left: Advertisement Right: Reality

https://twitter.com/norun9/status/467906410877964289/photo/1

Ishmael
4877th Post

"Re(1):Ramen Burger Time!" , posted Sun 18 May 21:38post reply

quote:

I've heard of ramen burgers made with ramen as the bun but what is this monstrosity?

quote:
I saw the new Godzilla, and it's certainly one of the best shot Godzilla movies of recent times. Maybe discussion after more of us have seen it?

Some random thoughts:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
GODZILLA!!!

It's a shame they got rid of Bryan Cranston's character since he was enjoyably goofy. While Taylor-Johnson's character serviceably moved the story from point A to B I didn't find him memorable. I appreciate the movie was trying very hard not to become campy but I wish the main character had been more engaging. He was no Miki Saegusa, that's for sure.

I was impressed that the movie was dead serious. It felt as if everyone on this project believed that making a movie about Godzilla was the greatest thing they could do with the art of cinema. This is a movie made by people who grew up on giant monster movies and didn't view them as disposable or with disdain but rather as legitimate entertainment.

The movie also never forgot about the human cost of a giant monster rampage. Too often Godzilla movies end with all the characters standing on a hill a safe distance away watching the monsters fight. In this people were constantly in the middle of the action, which made it feel much more immediate and dangerous.

The Honolulu High-Capacity Transit Corridor Project is much further along than I thought.

The Godzilla in this movie is, surprisingly, pretty much the late era Showa Godzilla who wrestled Megalon. Just like in his face days Godzilla heroically popped out of the water, smacked down the bad monsters, and then waddled off into the sunset. The monsters in this movie even recalled Gigan with their claws and their LED eyes.

I liked the look of Godzilla. Since they didn't have to build the character around a human suit actor Godzilla could have a larger skeleton to support a big, bulky frame. I also liked that he breathed. Seeing that barrel chest heave when he roared or spit fire gave him a lot of life.

It's hilarious that people are running to the theaters to see a freakin' Godzilla movie. I was right all along!

End of Spoiler

HAYATO
1191th Post

"Re(1):Ramen Burger Time!" , posted Mon 19 May 02:49post reply

quote:

After watching that culinary aberration I couldn't help to think about this... and now I can't shake it from my mind!! Just one more reason to consider a huge shift to a Soylent-based diet...

red falcon
6204th Post

"Re(4):GOJIRA asia trailer (mad spoilers?)" , posted Mon 19 May 15:11post reply

quote:

I can't speak for what Japan thinks of the new Godzilla, but I can assure you that 99% of articles about Those Whacky Asians from the American press are carefully curated BS.

The fact that so many people continue to take these articles seriously never ceases to frustrate and bewilder me. As you said, it's the same as using 4ch or youtube to "get a feel for the pulse of America."

Freeter
4615th Post

"Re(5):GOJIRA asia trailer (mad spoilers?)" , posted Tue 20 May 02:22post reply

GOJIRA needed more GOJIRA, less NINGEN. Hopefully the sequel will fix that.

HokutoAndy
61th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):GOJIRA asia trailer (mad spoilers?)" , posted Tue 20 May 09:12post reply

quote:
GOJIRA needed more GOJIRA, less NINGEN. Hopefully the sequel will fix that.

Except for MMA fighters, they count as human-sized kaiju instead of a dirty ningen:

http://static7.imagecollect.com/preview/137/24425669dcebd01

HokutoAndy
62th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):The Truth about... Penguins" , posted Tue 20 May 09:22post reply

quote:
I guess I should post this!

P e n g u i n s h a v e k n e e s .

http://fesoku.net/archives/7076484.html

After I was done laughing, the first thing that came to mind was Warhammer 40k's Space Marine Dreadnought:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/xlarge/GKMKvi6.jpg

It comes from an ultra grimdark setting, but all the vehicles have very neotenic proportions.

Spoon
2603th Post

"Re(2):The Truth about... Penguins" , posted Tue 20 May 09:30post reply

quote:

It comes from an ultra grimdark setting, but all the vehicles have very neotenic proportions.

Sometimes I think that the look of the Imperial/Space Marine tanks which are so neotenic combined with their heavy World War 1 influence (the parallelogram shape! sponsons!) are made so that they manage to fit the table while also invoking a primtivization of technology.

The year 40,000 on the ground sure seems a lot like the year 1914.

HokutoAndy
65th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):The Truth about... Penguins" , posted Tue 20 May 19:09post reply

quote:

Sometimes I think that the look of the Imperial/Space Marine tanks which are so neotenic combined with their heavy World War 1 influence (the parallelogram shape! sponsons!) are made so that they manage to fit the table while also invoking a primtivization of technology.

Definitely intentional, they called it 'heroic scale', where you increase the size of weapons/head/feet/hands relative to the body so the important distinguishing details show up on a 28mm miniature. All the Imperium's tanks in 40k are about the same proportions as those in Advance War.

I think that the imperium's vehicles are a bit too clunky looking though to the point where they don't look different enough from orks. Any of Miyazaki's fantasy tank designs would be suitable for the Imperium's style. 1914 is just kind of limited, while 1934-44 provides you with a lot more while still maintaining that retro feeling.

Gojira
3047th Post

"assassin's フィスト" , posted Sat 24 May 14:24post reply

The long-hyped live-action Street Fighter series was finally released, and even though it does contain a couple of weird tics (like awkward random language-switching), it's surprisingly very good. Ken's portrayal is so visually accurate it's eerie, and they did a pretty capable job with Akuma as well. Gouken and Ryu didn't fare quite so well, but the choreography still makes them believable enough.

After watching all 12 episodes I think it was worth watching and would not mind seeing more.

red falcon
6207th Post

"Re(4):The Truth about... Penguins" , posted Sat 24 May 18:33post reply

quote:

I think that the imperium's vehicles are a bit too clunky looking though to the point where they don't look different enough from orks. Any of Miyazaki's fantasy tank designs would be suitable for the Imperium's style. 1914 is just kind of limited, while 1934-44 provides you with a lot more while still maintaining that retro feeling.

I used to play 40k/Rogue Trader back in the day, and the Ork's vehicle designs (well, ALL the designs) have REALLY changed a lot over the years... but hey, back in the day the orks could use cannibalized Imperial vehicles anyway (especially the Blood Axes, the orks who liked to copy Imperial styles...)
I stopped playing AGES ago, but man, does it take itself seriously now.
No more orks building robots that were parodies of the other races to make fun of them.

chazumaru
1231th Post

"The Truth about... handshake events" , posted Mon 26 May 09:26:post reply

I guess they never saw it coming.

--

I am so bummed out that it is already the end of Mad Men for this year...

--

I thought Godzilla was meh... It was OK. Big mistake to try to justify everything, especially when their explanations were crap and ended up casting doubts about scenes and actions I would have not second-guessed otherwise. The monster itself is great. The first ten minutes are completely superficial and the movie would have been better without them. Cranston is not very good in this movie. The "family" plot should have been scratched. The Olsen girl is pretty good; they should have made her the G.I. since her role in the movie is pretty much useless.

moisturetexturefuturepleasurehumannatureinnovatormoisturetexturefuturepleasurehumannatureinnovator
pleasurehumannatureinnovatormoisturetexturefuturepleasurehumannatureinnovatormoisturetexturefuture
natureinnovatormoisturetexturefuturepleasurehumannatureinnovatormoisturetexturefuturepleasurehuman
futurepleasurehumannatureinnovatormoisturetexturefuturepleasurehumannatureinnovatormoisturetexture

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Mon 26 May 09:29]

Amakusa
934th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Ramen Burger Time!" , posted Mon 26 May 17:49:post reply

quote:

Is it wrong of me to think the real burger looks more appetizing than the advertisement?

I'm on week 2 or 3 of being without a kitchen (thanks to some variant of mold found in it that required a hazmat team) that I'm losing it from not being able to cook my own food.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

[this message was edited by Amakusa on Mon 26 May 17:51]

nobinobita
1299th Post

"Re(2):Ramen Burger Time!" , posted Sun 1 Jun 02:05post reply

quote:

I'm on week 2 or 3 of being without a kitchen (thanks to some variant of mold found in it that required a hazmat team) that I'm losing it from not being able to cook my own food.

I recently reentered the world of self employment. One of the best parts of it is cooking for myself (and my team) again. Hope your kitchen gets back into shape soon!

www.art-eater.com

nobinobita
1300th Post

"INTENSE CHEESES" , posted Sun 1 Jun 02:09post reply

My friend Josh is a real life cheesemonger (and excellent comics artist). He's also now on Quora, answering questions about cheese. I thought some of you might enjoy his writing:

http://www.quora.com/Joshua-Santamaria-Z/answers

(Scroll down for the posts bout cheese. Enjoy!)

www.art-eater.com

red falcon
6208th Post

"Re(1):INTENSE CHEESES" , posted Mon 2 Jun 22:56post reply

Ask him what he thinks about torta del casar for me.

Professor
4050th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):INTENSE CHEESES" , posted Tue 3 Jun 02:53post reply

quote:
My friend Josh is a real life cheesemonger (and excellent comics artist). He's also now on Quora, answering questions about cheese. I thought some of you might enjoy his writing:

http://www.quora.com/Joshua-Santamaria-Z/answers

(Scroll down for the posts bout cheese. Enjoy!)

The post on America's Cheese history is quite a nice read! I never really thought about the sudden rise of population effecting its history.

"Stinking Bishop" is a nice name. I wonder how stinky it really is.

chazumaru
1240th Post

"INTENSE PIKACHU" , posted Wed 4 Jun 19:57post reply

Not entirely gaming-related so I post it here: holy crap at the Pokemon Center Paris opening scene this morning.

moisturetexturefuturepleasurehumannatureinnovatormoisturetexturefuturepleasurehumannatureinnovator
pleasurehumannatureinnovatormoisturetexturefuturepleasurehumannatureinnovatormoisturetexturefuture
natureinnovatormoisturetexturefuturepleasurehumannatureinnovatormoisturetexturefuturepleasurehuman
futurepleasurehumannatureinnovatormoisturetexturefuturepleasurehumannatureinnovatormoisturetexture

nobinobita
1302th Post

"Re(1):INTENSE PIKACHU" , posted Thu 5 Jun 17:09post reply

quote:
Not entirely gaming-related so I post it here: holy crap at the Pokemon Center Paris opening scene this morning.

Nice! This is especially timely since France was the inspiration for the setting for Pokémon X and Y:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/5/4496064/junichi-masuda-reveals-french-inspiration-for

www.art-eater.com

nobinobita
1304th Post

"Re(2):INTENSE CHEESES" , posted Thu 5 Jun 17:16:post reply

quote:
Ask him what he thinks about torta del casar for me.

Will do! Here's Josh's answer:

> Torta del casar is great.

> not meant for the average american consumer i think

> the portugese and some spanish makers use a thistle rennet which gives it this really great strong bitter taste
> but its also creamy runny and great with a piece of a bread
> it just makes you want to keep eating

> la serena is cheese just like it, but with a stronger taste from what i remember

quote:
"Stinking Bishop" is a nice name. I wonder how stinky it really is.

> and stinking bishop isn't so stinky...
> it just has a unique smell and flavor profile because of the perry (pear based alcohol) that they use to age it

> the stinkiest cheese i've ever come across was the ameribella
> http://jandbcheese.com/shop/listing/ameribella/
> i don't know how its journey affect its taste but whenever i unwrapped one it literally smelled like fecal matter

Josh later added this post to Quora going into greater detail about Ameribella, the stinkiest cheese he's ever experienced:

http://qr.ae/sKfLZ

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 5 Jun 17:22]

red falcon
6209th Post

"Re(3):INTENSE CHEESES" , posted Fri 6 Jun 19:37post reply

Glad to hear he likes del casar, which is one of my personal favorites next to epoisses. And yeah, stinking bishop is good and not really that smelly. Perry is in and of itself good, it's a pear cider. Try it if you can get it. Sir Perry is pretty widely available outside of the UK, I think...

Professor
4058th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):INTENSE LUPIN" , posted Wed 25 Jun 16:57post reply

Here's the trailer for the upcoming Lupin the 3rd theatrical film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KP5gZmNk8s

The movie reportedly took 4 years in the making and it's directed by Ryuhei Kitamura, best known by gamers for directing the cutscenes in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. The script was done by Mataichiro Yamamoto, who worked on the 1983 film version of Golgo 13.

Ishmael
4901th Post

"Re(5):INTENSE LUPIN" , posted Thu 26 Jun 01:33post reply

quote:
Here's the trailer for the upcoming Lupin the 3rd theatrical film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KP5gZmNk8s

The movie reportedly took 4 years in the making and it's directed by Ryuhei Kitamura, best known by gamers for directing the cutscenes in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. The script was done by Mataichiro Yamamoto, who worked on the 1983 film version of Golgo 13.

I can't say I'm a fan of Kitamura and the only memorable thing in that Golgo 13 movie was the intensity of Sonny Chiba's eyebrows but I still know I'm going to watch this movie the first chance I get.

Spoon
2621th Post

"Re(6):INTENSE LUPIN" , posted Thu 26 Jun 02:41post reply

Jigen's beard/jaw/face creases/voice/etc. always made me think of him as being significantly older than the rest of the members of Lupin's crew. In fact, just being portrayed by an actor who doesn't have creases or even wrinkles on his face looks weird to me.

nobinobita
1318th Post

"Re(7):INTENSE LUPIN" , posted Thu 26 Jun 03:26post reply

quote:
Jigen's beard/jaw/face creases/voice/etc. always made me think of him as being significantly older than the rest of the members of Lupin's crew. In fact, just being portrayed by an actor who doesn't have creases or even wrinkles on his face looks weird to me.

What is this? A Lupin for ants??? Those hands need to be at least ... 3 times hairier than this!

I'm real excited to see Tadonobu Asano as Zenigata, even if he would have been even more PERFECT as Jigen, but seeing him do comedy is good too. The actress for Fujiko has a great face for the role, I hope she has the screen presence to back it up. Lupin and Jigen look too young and soft, but that's to be expected if they want mainstream appeal.

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
2622th Post

"Re(8):INTENSE LUPIN" , posted Thu 26 Jun 06:35post reply

I actually can't think of a better fit for Lupin than Ben Stiller, younger or older.

Ishmael
4903th Post

"Re(8):INTENSE LUPIN" , posted Thu 26 Jun 06:35post reply

Lupin has no continuity or backstory to speak of but for some reason I've always thought of Fujiko as being in her early 20s, Lupin and Goemon as being in their mid 20s and Jigen in his early 30s. Even though that would make Jigen only a few years older than Lupin I just assumed that Jigen was one of those Lee Marvin types who went from childhood straight into grizzled old man with nothing in between.

nobinobita
1320th Post

"Re(9):INTENSE LUPIN" , posted Thu 26 Jun 07:08post reply

quote:
Lupin has no continuity or backstory to speak of but for some reason I've always thought of Fujiko as being in her early 20s, Lupin and Goemon as being in their mid 20s and Jigen in his early 30s. Even though that would make Jigen only a few years older than Lupin I just assumed that Jigen was one of those Lee Marvin types who went from childhood straight into grizzled old man with nothing in between.

I've always read every one of your posts in Jigen's voice and demeanor.

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
2623th Post

"Re(9):INTENSE LUPIN" , posted Thu 26 Jun 08:16post reply

quote:

I've always thought of Lupin, Fujiko, and Goemon as being fairly close in age, with Lupin maybe being a little older than either. Lupin being in his 30s wouldn't bother me, and he could totally be a quirky womanizing 40-something (see: whatever age Ben Stiller is), nor would Fujiko being significantly younger than either. I think about how Audrey Hepburn looked at 32, or Ingrid Bergman in her early 30s, and Fujiko being in that mould wouldn't bother me at all. Jigen however has to be significantly older than any of those 3, and Zenigata older still.

When I think of Jigen, I think of James Coburn more than I think of Lee Marvin.

Maou
2664th Post

"Re(10):INTENSE LUPIN" , posted Thu 26 Jun 11:41:post reply

quote:
Lupin has no continuity or backstory to speak of but for some reason I've always thought of Fujiko as being in her early 20s, Lupin and Goemon as being in their mid 20s and Jigen in his early 30s.
Lupin's actor looks a bit too...Japanese, really, given that he's a quarter or half French, though I guess what he really needs to look like is more monkey-like, whatever the actor. Funny thing is, Kurita Kan'ichi, his current voice actor, actually looks very Lupanic. Maybe they should've used him!

I always placed these guys as Real-Live Grown Ups in their 30's at the least. In one of the less-inspired throw-away arcs of Monkey Punch's original comic from the 1970's, Lupin and Zenigata both went to the same college--either the University of Tokyo or an obvious allusion to it, how dull--and had some sort of rivalry going there before they embarked on their various careers. Not that it matters in any way for any of the Lupin continuities, but it was an odd one, especially since Zenigata needs to feel older and grizzled.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 26 Jun 13:10]

HokutoAndy
74th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Random thread: Non-gaming edition vol.3" , posted Thu 26 Jun 17:35post reply

quote:

Did this already come out?

Professor
4059th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Random thread: Non-gaming edition vol.3" , posted Thu 26 Jun 19:35post reply

quote:

Did this already come out?

Holy Moses, we've been using a single thread for nearly one year!
But yes it's already out. I wonder what they're doing for this year?

Ishmael
4905th Post

"Re(10):INTENSE LUPIN" , posted Fri 27 Jun 03:22post reply

quote:
I've always read every one of your posts in Jigen's voice and demeanor.

Even though I'm fairly certain you're human in the back of my mind you're still that robot thing you used to have as a picture. Choose your avatars carefully folks because they contain a great deal of power.

quote:
When I think of Jigen, I think of James Coburn more than I think of Lee Marvin.

Duh, if I want to invent an imaginary age for Jigen all I have to do is go with how old James Coburn was when he film "The Magnificent Seven." So one quick check of IMDB later and... ah, Jigen's 32.

Professor
4067th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Re(10):INTENSE LUPIN" , posted Fri 4 Jul 00:16:post reply

Talk about Lupin in the theaters and also about a better looking Jigen, I've completely forgot about this motion picture film and it's ending tomorrow. Yipes! Must try and make time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9AuACG76Zo

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 4 Jul 00:19]

Maou
2664th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):INTENSE LUPIN" , posted Fri 4 Jul 02:26post reply

quote:
Talk about Lupin in the theaters and also about a better looking Jigen, I've completely forgot about this motion picture film and it's ending tomorrow. Yipes! Must try and make time.

Yeah! My regret is infinite that I've been out of the country during its run. Buy another ticket to support on my behalf and I'll pay you back at year's end!

nobinobita
1323th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):INTENSE LUPIN" , posted Fri 4 Jul 08:58post reply

quote:

Yeah! My regret is infinite that I've been out of the country during its run. Buy another ticket to support on my behalf and I'll pay you back at year's end!

One for me too! I'll pay you back in Candy Corn!

www.art-eater.com

red falcon
6211th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):INTENSE LUPIN" , posted Fri 4 Jul 13:06post reply

quote:

Arghh, it looks good... and it's ending tomorrow? Arghhhh no time.. >_<

GekigangerV
1871th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Random Sailor Moon" , posted Wed 9 Jul 03:21post reply

Anyone else catch Sailor Moon Crystal yet? I noticed it was up on Hulu Plus and gave it a watch. Can't really say anything too bad about it now, but it is hard to get used to the new Luna. The opening and ending themes are nothing to write home about though. I cannot see them being as iconic as Moonlight Densetsu or Heart Moving.

The more "manga authentic" designs are kind of hard to get used to as well, but I think I will manage.

The subtitles were pretty choppy though. It was like there was no editor.

Freeter
4618th Post

"Re(1):Random Sailor Moon" , posted Wed 9 Jul 07:41post reply

I hate the new direction. It may have toned down much of the silliness from the original series, but it lost a lot of its charm in the process. All the females look and feel like plastic dolls devoid of genuine expression.

Usagi's VA is definitely struggling, and I can't shake the image of Levi from SnK every time Mamoru speaks.

The transformation sequence needs to be fully hand-drawn and not the blatant CG that looks like it was ripped from a Nico MMD video.

chazumaru
1268th Post

"Super Random Sailor Moon" , posted Mon 21 Jul 20:43post reply

"Moon Animate Make-Up is a crowdsourced group animation project to re-animate an episode of Sailor Moon shot-by-shot in each artist's personal style. From October 2013 to July 2014, over two hundred and fifty animators contributed at least one shot each to assemble a full length parody episode of Sailor Moon."

This is great!

夏色の 誘惑 が大人になる頃、 益々 憂は エキサイティング クオリティ

GekigangerV
1874th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Super Random Sailor Moon" , posted Wed 23 Jul 02:02post reply

quote:
"Moon Animate Make-Up is a crowdsourced group animation project to re-animate an episode of Sailor Moon shot-by-shot in each artist's personal style. From October 2013 to July 2014, over two hundred and fifty animators contributed at least one shot each to assemble a full length parody episode of Sailor Moon."

This is great!

The Bob's Burgers style killed me. I cannot believe how nostalgic I am for the old dub too.

Professor
4094th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Differences between Jp and Western art lines" , posted Mon 28 Jul 17:46:post reply

Here's an interesting series of tweets that were recently made by a Japanese illustrator Yusuke Nakamura. I don't know his works, but he does a pretty good summarization of differences between the Japanese and Western perspective in drawing since the old years. Nobi and some others may be interesting in reading this.

With lots of things getting redrawn in Western and Japanese versions nowadays, the differences on how characters get portrayed are pretty interesting. Japan tends to draw them by their "silhouettes" which makes them look cool, whereas the west tends to portray them by their "surface" which gives them more reality. This has been the same since the history of painting.
https://twitter.com/kazekissa/status/493570193621135361

Here's an example of what I mean by "silhouette" and "surface". This is a bit of an extreme example but when you draw a ball, the west looks at the ball and draws it like this (left) while Japan draws it like this (right). They're looking at the same exact object (but they see it differently), which is extremely interesting. (Example photo)
https://twitter.com/kazekissa/status/493578005793353728

When you take this further, you can clearly see the differences between the West and Japan in portrait paintings. (Example photos)
https://twitter.com/kazekissa/status/493580135132446720

And this difference also becomes pretty clear when things get simplified into the level of comic books. For example with American Comics, even an example like this which uses fairly simple lines, will have shadows, because the artist takes depth(3D perspective) into account. (Example photos)
https://twitter.com/kazekissa/status/493584884670013440

On the other hand, while Japanese manga nowadays are changing into various styles, its fundamentals are still based on simple lines like this example. Their heights have been deformed and they also don't have any shadows drawn in. They're very simple. (Example photo)
https://twitter.com/kazekissa/status/493587784439848961

So in a way it sort of turns into a paradox. When you portray things as "lines" like how Japan does, the art becomes a flat "surface". But if you portray things as a "surface" like the west does, the art gets drawn with comparitively a lot more "lines" in order to achieve depth. Pretty confusing, no? (Example photos)
https://twitter.com/kazekissa/status/493594750490931203

On a side note, the anime director Toyoo Ashida has a coloring style where he doesn't blur anything and draws stuff very solidly, and it even had an impact on Dragonball's Akira Toriyama. When you look at these images of Goku in his early years and later, you can clearly see the difference. (Example photos)
https://twitter.com/kazekissa/status/493602672910405633

On the other hand, Mr.Toyoo was the director for Toriyama's "Dr.Slump" series, and Toriyama's style had an influence on him. Senbei(from Dr.Slump) and Shibaraku(from Mashin Hero Wataru) looked almost identical even to points like how they suddenly turned handsom in some scenes. It's an ideal flux of influences between artists. (Example photos)
https://twitter.com/kazekissa/status/493605855506362368

As exaplained, the differences on how Japanese and Westerners view and portray things are completely different. It makes things extremely difficult when creating movies of each other's works. It's hard for the creators, and it's also hard for the viewers.
https://twitter.com/kazekissa/status/493608215133704193

So for example, it's pretty convincing when you make a movie of something from your own culture like the X-men in this example...
https://twitter.com/kazekissa/status/493610099416375296

...but on the other hand, the Holywood version of Dragonball looked completely off to the Japanese. One of the main reasons was probably the hair as mentioned before. The Japanese portryal of hair (the hairstyle and its quality) is something that the West probably couldn't understand, and therefore couldn't bring to life.
https://twitter.com/kazekissa/status/493611861565124609

When you think about that, one of the points with the Godzilla film currently running in theaters is how much the creators studied the Japanese original and tried to bring back its qualities. (Example photo)
https://twitter.com/kazekissa/status/493615782194978816

Its silhouette is a bit stocky compared to the Japanese Godzilla, but when you get the light source/shadow on this, it turned out to be really cool. It's pretty worthwhile to see it from different angles during the movie.
https://twitter.com/kazekissa/status/493616989059833857

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 28 Jul 17:54]

nobinobita
1334th Post

"Re(1):Differences between Jp and Western art" , posted Mon 28 Jul 18:43:post reply

quote:
Here's an interesting series of tweets that were recently made by a Japanese illustrator Yusuke Nakamura. I don't know his works, but he does a pretty good summarization of differences between the Japanese and Western perspective in drawing since the old years. Nobi and some others may be interesting in reading this.

With lots of things getting redrawn in Western and Japanese versions nowadays, the differences on how characters get portrayed are pretty interesting. Japan tends to draw them by their "silhouettes" which makes them look cool, whereas the west tends to portray them by their "surface" which gives them more reality. This has been the same since the history of painting.
https://twitter.com/kazekissa/status/493570193621135361

Here's an example of what I mean by "silhouette" and "surface". This is a bit of an extreme example but when you draw a ball, the west looks at the ball and draws it like this (left) while Japan draws it like this (right). They're looking at the same exact object (but they see it differently), which is extremely interesting. (Example photo)
https://twitter.com/kazekissa/status/493578005793353728

When you take this further, you can clearly see the differences between the West and Japan in portrait paintings. (Exam

Wow, thanks for sharing and translating!

Yusuke Nakamura is a very accomplished commercial illustrator who is known for his multiple album covers for Asian Kung Fu Generation as well as the cover for the novel Tatami Galaxy. He also designed the characters for the (EXCELLENT) anime adaptation which had music AKFG. Nakamura is also a musician himself and hosts an internet radio show.

I'm pretty sure I've seen his illustrations on packaging for sake and candy too.

I think everything he's said is really spot on. The core difference between "Eastern" and "Western" esthetics is a focus on line vs a focus on rendering. Hayao Miyazaki also has a lot of great things to say about this difference. I'll dig up my copy of Starting Point and find the quotes tomorrow (i should be sleeping right now!).

Of course there are tons and tons and TONS of exceptions to those rules (for instance Berserk, Vagabond, Bastard!! etc are some of the most well rendered comics ever made). But then again, all those comics I mentioned still have a huge focus on very clear, solid, volumentric contours and outlines, the rendering is icing on the cake.

The bits about Toyoo Ashida were really interesting! I was just looking up Mashin Hero Wataru cos I was making a list of anime that I'd happily show my nieces and nephews. That was at the top of the list (its such a great show!) I had no idea the same man who directed that also directed Dr Slump (which makes sense) as well as Fist of the North Star and Vampire Hunter D!

It's really cool to see how Toriyama and Toyoo Ashida influenced each other. If you watch Wataru it's super clear this is a post Dr Slump and Dragon Ball show. But looking at Wataru's hair and the rendering style, it's reasonable to conclude that it
influenced the spikey haired direction Dragon Ball went in in the future.

Man, this is one of my favorite subjects in the world, Eastern vs Western esthetics. Similarities and differences. Most times when I see people on the internet broach the subject, the results are extremely shallow ("you see Asian art is feminine! And Western art is masculine!") It's nice to see what a really experienced, respected artist has to say on the subject.

I'll post MIyzaki's musings tomorrow. They're great.

Until then, here's a cool post about Yusuke Nakamura giving art advice to youngins:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-03-14/tatami-galaxy-yusuke-nakamura-gives-aspiring-illustrator-advice-on-twitter

His advice on proportions in design is really insightful. It's the kind of thing they'd teach you in a good graphic design class, but it's something people tend to forget about in illustration.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Mon 28 Jul 18:48]

Iggy
9790th Post

"Re(2):Differences between Jp and Western art" , posted Mon 28 Jul 19:22post reply

As your average anti-american French grumpy old man, I am always annoyed when 海外 ends up being "the US".
Not everyone is Hergé, but still, hey, sorry to exist.

chazumaru
1276th Post

"Re(3):Differences between Jp and Western art" , posted Tue 29 Jul 00:04post reply

Thanks a lot for taking the time to translate and post this series of tweets.

I have already heard similar comparisons and I think it is a solid argument, although as Iggy moaned mentioned, this contrast is not as easily applicable to comic artists from countries with a Roman-Catholic heritage (France, French-speaking Belgium, Italy, Spain).

quote:
I don't know his works

I am not sure how big he is in Japan but he is getting pretty popular in France where his style really connects with the local manga-reading audience.

夏色の 誘惑 が大人になる頃、 益々 憂は エキサイティング クオリティ

Spoon
2656th Post

"Re(4):Differences between Jp and Western art" , posted Tue 29 Jul 00:44post reply

quote:

I have already heard similar comparisons and I think it is a solid argument, although as Iggy moaned mentioned, this contrast is not as easily applicable to comic artists from countries with a Roman-Catholic heritage (France, French-speaking Belgium, Italy, Spain).

This is a really interesting thought!

Part of me specifically thinks about the nations you mentioned, but part of me also thinks about the huge advances in rendering that occurred specifically in Roman Catholic nations a few centuries ago, and art movements that had highly realistic rendering as a defining feature, like Baroque paintings. Is it that in descending from a tradition of iconography that the focus on silhouette is preserved even when eras come where huge efforts are being put into the realism of the work? I've heard that the entire Protestant Reformation saw dramatic changes in the treatment/perspectives of art, and if true that change would certainly descend to the non-Catholic immigrants that fled to North America, but it's not something that I am knowledgeable about. Do elaborate!

nobinobita
1335th Post

"Re(3):Differences between Jp and Western art" , posted Tue 29 Jul 07:24:post reply

quote:
As your average anti-american French grumpy old man, I am always annoyed when 海外 ends up being "the US".

Haha you're right to be angry. I wish more people in America knew about Herge too. That CGI film was an abomination, but it also is a very good example of America's obsession with 'realistic' rendering and lack of appreciation for beautiful, concise line work.

I think in general, when people from Asia talk about "eastern" vs "western" aesthetics they are very much talking about Japanese influenced stuff vs USA (Hollywood, Marvel Comics and AAA games) with the exclusion of European art. I think it's cos they find a lot to relate to in European art (you can find lots of European comics at the airport in Taiwan, I grew up reading Tin Tin cos my dad liked it), but find a lot of American art baffling (my Dad is always asking me why American cartoons aren't good looking like Tom and Jerry anymore).

There's certainly a fine tradition of line work in Europe. If you follow the Cours De Dessin by Charles Bargue (perhaps the most important drawing manual to classical style European art) it starts off with very precise, rendering heavy reproductions of statues and ends with quick totally linear drawings from live models. The line work in it is GORGEOUS and certainly influenced generations of artists world wide, particularly in Japan if we are to talk about animation. For instance, Tatsuyuki Tanaka's work is basically Charles Bargue in motion:

http://nanaone.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Tanaka-Tatsuyuki-Genius-Party.gif

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4d4derwFh1qzqnxxo1_500.gif

But I'm starting to ramble. Going back to the original premise that "Eastern" art is line and stylization focused, and "Western" art is more literal and rendering focused, I think there's a lot of truth to it. It's a gross simplification, but it's mostly accurate.

Japanese painting is descended from Chinese painting which has always been focused on stylization and capturing the spirit of something rather than the literal look of it. Chinese painters used forced perspective on their landscapes because they wanted to give an idealized aerial view of things to make the viewer feel as if they were treading through the landscape themselves (not unlike earlier videogames).

Chinese and Japanese art do have a tradition of realism in their statues though. Unfortunately, very few classical Chinese statues remain (god damn the cultural revolution!) but if you go to Kyoto, good lord, the statues there are incredible. They may look heavily stylized in photographs (and they are), but in person they feel exceedingly "real." The portrait sculpts of actual monks are particularly realistic.

This statue of Kuya at Rokuharumitsuji is maybe my favorite sculpture of all time:
http://i.imgur.com/eVFCOiv.jpg

Now, where does this tradition of realism come from? It's actually from the Greeks. Buddhist art was originally all abstract and symbolic. It wasn't until the Kushan empire put Buddhist and Hellenistic cultures under one rule that Buddhist artists started portraying their religious icons via realistic statuary. That's why if you look at the earliest statues of Buddha, he's really jacked! It's the greek influence.

Similarly in Europe, the expressionists and impressionist movements that eschewed classical realism for stylization were largely inspired by contact with China and Japan (not just for their stylized brush work, but also their focus on secular life over classical and religious topics). Again, gross over simplification. But it's also true that many innovative Western artists who broke from tradition were avowed Sino/Japanophiles including Van Gough and Rodin. Gustav Klimt was largely inspired by Jan Toorop, an artist of Indonesian and Dutch descent who combined the aesthetics of local Indonesian folk art with European painting. If you're not familiar with his work, it's fucking gorgeous and could easily be confused for Yoshitaka Amano. Jan Toorop is like the missing link that bridges pretty much all modern European, American and Asian artists that I like, but now I'm really rambling.

Where am I going with this?

Anyway, I think it's fair to say that "Eastern" (Chinese descended cultures) historically focus on stylization and linework, while "Western" (Greek/Roman descent cultures) historically focus on realism and rendering. BUT, there are so many fascinating exceptions to the rule here and the cross pollination between cultures has been going on for centuries, it's nothing specific to modern times.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Tue 29 Jul 07:28]

nobinobita
1336th Post

"Re(4):Differences between Jp and Western art" , posted Tue 29 Jul 07:46:post reply

OK, here's Hayao Miyazaki on the subject of Japanese vs American aesthetics:

...When I talk with American animators, I sense that they tend to interpret objects in a very different way. They tend to want to look at the volume and three dimensionality of objects first. But we Japanese tend to think of the lines used to represent the objects. Their view is more like that of computers, which don't really use lines to identify objects. The computer inteprets the object as planes and points. In other words, in Japan and other East Asian countries, it seems that we have some sort of special sense that things should be represented by lines.

Our brains seem to be organized this way. In Europe, artists have a very long history of drawing rays of light to represent the texture of matter; of course, people in Europe have produced fabulous line drawings too, but overall, it seems they have emphasized trying to express volume or quantity. For example, when depicting a human face, if we try to apply shadows, we first draw some lines, and based on this then assign colors or tones, and that's enough. My American friends however invariably go out of their way to apply a gradation of tone. They say, for example, that there are no lines in the shadows.

Rather than this simply being the result of our animation industries having different histories, there seems to be something more profound at work here, and I believe what i have described is probably not unique to Japan, but applies to Korea and China, too. Perhaps we're more sensitive to line, or to the edge it represents. There may even be an ethnic aspect to this.

Recently some wonderful reproductions have been made of picture scrolls executed from Japan's Heian period and the Kamakura period. And when you look at these, you can tell that Japanese people really believed they could depict the human world in its entirety in this format. They thought they could express nearly anything with drawings and words, whether it was related to politics, economics, art, religion, the supernatural world or even erotica.

Illustrated narrative scrolls disappear at a certain point in Japanese art history, but during times of peace they become ukiyoe, or illustrations of the floating world. Ukiyoe had little in the way of a narrative element, but since we're dealing with hypothesis here, I'm going to take the liberty of postulating that this was because during the Edo period Japan was at peace. When I tell my interviewers from abroad that we see the same phenomenon in the turbulent history of modern Japan, as we did in the ferment of the late Heian period or the Kamakura periods, and that in this period narrative picture scrolls were resurrected as manga, they all go home happy. [laughter]

-Hayao Miyzakai
From a speech given on August 6, 1994, for the Association of Scenario Writers

Republished in Starting Point 1979-1996

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Tue 29 Jul 07:47]

sfried
836th Post

PSN: My3DSFriendCode
XBL: isdownbellow
Wii: 279306128909

"Re(5):Differences between Jp and American art" , posted Tue 29 Jul 10:01post reply

I really dislike this whole designation that relagates Western art to mean "predominantly American". I'm glad I'm not the only person who keeps noticing this discrepancy here, but it's gotten to the point that I would dispise anybody who has not at least looks at some of the more (recent and classical) Bande dessinée out there.

I'd say if not Herge, then try Fraquin who popularized the Marcinelle School of depicting action in lines.

Spoon
2657th Post

"Re(4):Differences between Jp and Western art" , posted Tue 29 Jul 10:52post reply

quote:

Haha you're right to be angry. I wish more people in America knew about Herge too. That CGI film was an abomination, but it also is a very good example of America's obsession with 'realistic' rendering and lack of appreciation for beautiful, concise line work.

I thought that the film did something incredibly ballsy in having the cgi Tintin juxtaposed with a Herge drawing of him right off the bat. It was quite a stark contrast!

It's kind of strange to me that many comics that are American that are considered iconic, like Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, Doonesbury, or (eventually) even Penny Arcade are very line-focused. The readership numbers for comic books are abysmal, but they keep going and they are behind the much more commercially significant movies. In fact, in terms of pure readership, I wonder what would he considered the currently most culturally relevant comics/comic strips?

I can't ever bring myself to hate the field of computer graphics, which the US has been the leader of for a long time. The thrust for photorealism in special effects I think is deeply rooted in Hollywood, and the influence of that is likely profound: consider how influential star wars has been to a generation or more, and how a key part of its power came from how real everything seemed, together with its use of a universal and timeless story. Hollywood being the most culturally influential institution of the US could well be a self-propogating culture.

Actually, here's a thought: what do you think of the Disney movies, before, during, and after the golden age? The lines and animation of the Old Men still reads beautifully, and some projects were just way out there. Bambi's head artist was a Chinese man who drove the backgrounds that were somewhere between asian and Impressionist, and I remember not find that odd at all when I saw it as a child, but being blown away by it years later. I remember the devil in Fantasia being rendered stunningly, and the portrayal of volume and substance with it was remarkable.

When i think about kojima being enamored with 3d and naming Metal Gear Solid because the characters were "solid" for the first time and the possibilities it afforded... I wonder how he would think about the march for photorealism, and if he's even able to in a way divorced from being constantly around Shinkawa's art.

I'm rambling because I'm stuck in an airport for another 2 hours.

nobinobita
1337th Post

"Re(6):Differences between Jp and American art" , posted Tue 29 Jul 11:15:post reply

quote:
I really dislike this whole designation that relagates Western art to mean "predominantly American". I'm glad I'm not the only person who keeps noticing this discrepancy here, but it's gotten to the point that I would dispise anybody who has not at least looks at some of the more (recent and classical) Bande dessinée out there.

I'd say if not Herge, then try Fraquin who popularized the Marcinelle School of depicting action in lines.

From the Asian side, think of this as an indirect compliment. When Asians talk about "Western" (American) vs "Eastern" (Japanese influenced) art they're usually skirting around the issue that they simply just don't like American esthetics. It's always a lot of backhanded compliments "oh its so detailed and realistic!"

For instance, take Hayao Miyazaki. He talks with admiration about European comics. He is a friend and great admirer of Moebius. He's happy to tell the world how much Bande dessinée have influenced his own work. It was through Miyazaki that I learned about the legendary French animator Paul Grimault (not a word about him in History of Animation courses in the US). He gushes about the work of Yuri Norshteyn. He doesn't think of European comics or animation as foreign.

What does he have to say about American animation? "You guys think like computers LOL"

Same goes for lots of other notable Japanese artists. Katsuya Terada and Otomo are very direct about how Moebius is their biggest influence (other than Tezuka for Otomo). Kojima made some headlines when he claimed that the Madrid based development team for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow could make graphics that looked good "even to Japanese eyes."

Japanese artists tend to think very favorably about European artists. When talking about "east" vs "west" in terms of America vs Japan it's their opportunity to indirectly show their disdain for American art in that very special dismissive Japanese way where its like an adult speaking to a child.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Tue 29 Jul 11:16]

sfried
838th Post

"Re(6):Differences between Jp and American art" , posted Tue 29 Jul 11:47:post reply

I'm just going to add this link in here as it is an interesting case of why America perhaps lacks the great influences of aforementioned Herge.

On a personal note however, I do prefer not to use such terms like "East" and "West" in such generalized context. It creates alot of misnomers, and I might have to come down on said person like how Edward Said came down on Samuel P. Huntington with Orientalism. These false notions of Eastern/Western dichotomy have to stop.

Edit 2: Before I deviate any further, I also suggest people get to watch Tenshin by Katsuya Matsumura, which is a historical drama about Okakura Kakuzo and the development of Japanese art.

[this message was edited by sfried on Tue 29 Jul 12:07]

hokutoAndy
77th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Differences between Jp and American art" , posted Wed 6 Aug 07:03post reply

I get the impression that hentai comics are more acceptable in France than they are in the US

Iggy
9791th Post

"Re(8):Differences between Jp and American art" , posted Wed 6 Aug 07:29post reply

quote:
I get the impression that hentai comics are more acceptable in France than they are in the US

Why do you have this impression?
Acceptable, I don't know, but widely available with official translations, probably, and from the mid-90s at least.
Maybe because some erotics artists such as Manara (linking to Wikipedia which was the only safe for work page) are famous and respected not in spite of what they do, but because of what they do. It's like... Is Tom of Finland recognized as an artist or as a guy who drew leather gay daddies?
Plus, the hypocritical Japanese censorship of genitals make it look less... mature and serious than actual eroticism/pornography, maybe...

I don't know. We just aren't a puritanical civilization. That probably helps.

nobinobita
1343th Post

"Re(9):Differences between Jp and American art" , posted Wed 6 Aug 07:54:post reply

quote:
Why do you have this impression?
Acceptable, I don't know, but widely available with official translations, probably, and from the mid-90s at least.
Maybe because some erotics artists such as Manara (linking to Wikipedia which was the only safe for work page) are famous and respected not in spite of what they do, but because of what they do. It's like... Is Tom of Finland recognized as an artist or as a guy who drew leather gay daddies?
Plus, the hypocritical Japanese censorship of genitals make it look less... mature and serious than actual eroticism/pornography, maybe...

I don't know. We just aren't a puritanical civilization. That probably helps.

I saw a lot more erotic/porno comics in my brief time in France and Italy than I ever saw in the US (including a lot of japanese ero manga--including dōjinshi being sold at magazine stands!) Porno cartoons are definitely popular in the US internet ("hentai" is a top porn search term in some states), but we're currently going through a very puritanical phase here so people aren't open about it (and i guess they never really have been).

Question for all:
What do you see as the similarities and differences between North American and French art? (in the realm of BD/comics/animation/games etc)

Also, does one have to be French or Dutch in order to create Bandes dessinées? Could you categorize BD as "European" comics in general? Much like how Super Hero comics are considered American style comics even if the artists come from all over the world now.

"Western" is such a broad term and I do agree that it's unfair to lump so many different schools of art under the same umbrella since there are vast palpable differences in tastes. I would love to hear your thoughts!

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Wed 6 Aug 07:56]

GekigangerV
1877th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Nakamura Shusei (VA of Tohru Rikishi) passed" , posted Wed 6 Aug 12:26post reply

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140806-00000079-spnannex-ent

It apparently happaned a few days ago. He was 79 years old.

Tohru Rikishi of Ashita no Joe is probably one of the most iconic old school anime characters there is.

His other big role was that of Daisuke Shima on Space Battleship Yamato.

My brother and I are huge Ashita no Joe fans.

Loona
774th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

"Re(10):Differences between Jp and American ar" , posted Wed 6 Aug 17:44post reply

quote:
Question for all:
What do you see as the similarities and differences between North American and French art? (in the realm of BD/comics/animation/games etc)

I don't think I have the artistic background to give a more informed response, but from Portugal there's enough exposure to both to have some notion. I'm assuming by "French" you mean the general franco-belgian range and slightly beyond?

As for similarities, when they're so inclined, I get the feeling both the american and european stuff is more likely to go for a realistic drawing style (proportions, details) where character faces are more distinct, with actual anatomy (skeletal structure, etc...) "under the hood" of each character, while even in Japanese stuff that takes itself seriously, the attention to realistic detail is more likely to go into technology and backgrounds than to actual characters - masking effect at work, I guess, as discussed in Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics.

For the more cartoony stuff, the european stuff tends to lean to a "rounder" style, I guess - off the top of my head I think of the likes of Asterix, Gaston Lagaffe and Shtroumpfs (Smurfs), and there's a round, bouncy feel to them to which I can't immediately think of an American counterpart, but maybe I'm just forgetting some good examples, on account of the superhero stuff and others leaning toward realistic proportions drowning them out in visibility - stuff like newspaper strips like Zits, Calvin & Hobbes, Dilbert and others aren't exactly angular, but they have a different feel to it aesthetically.

Then there's color - maybe its exposure myopia, but maybe when European stuff goes for more realistic drawing styles, its use of color is more desaturated, I guess, with the colors feeling a bit more washed out? Then again, that may have to do with depicted settings, and my incomplete notions of color theory.

quote:

Also, does one have to be French or Dutch in order to create Bandes dessinées? Could you categorize BD as "European" comics in general? Much like how Super Hero comics are considered American style comics even if the artists come from all over the world now.

In Portugal we use the term "banda desenhada" and the acronym BD to refer to the comics medium as a whole, regardless of geographical origin (although "manga"'s more likely to be used for Japanese stuff, but there may be a marketing factor to it).
So, from my perspective, the term has nothing specifically european to it. There's a yearly portuguese comics event, Festival de BD da Amadora, and it covers American and European stuff pretty evenly.

Off the top of my head, a couple of examples of Portuguese comics artists with full published books: Luís Louro's stuff feels more typically European to me somehow, and the more recent Dog Mendonça & Pizzaboy series feels a bit more American to me, despite taking place in Lisbon - it actually got picked up by Dark Horse comics for an English version to boot.
A more informed and trained eye might be more able to point out what makes each style lean in each of the directions, I guess...

Some European stuff seems a more more "out there" aesthetically at times, like Moebius's stuff, but maybe I'd get that feel from superhero comics if it weren't so easy to be exposed to them from an early age?

...!!

chazumaru
1280th Post

"Re(5):Differences between Jp and Western art" , posted Tue 12 Aug 07:27post reply

quote:
Is it that in descending from a tradition of iconography that the focus on silhouette is preserved even when eras come where huge efforts are being put into the realism of the work? I've heard that the entire Protestant Reformation saw dramatic changes in the treatment/perspectives of art, and if true that change would certainly descend to the non-Catholic immigrants that fled to North America, but it's not something that I am knowledgeable about. Do elaborate!

I'll be honest, this kind of analysis is part of my job, and I am too tired/lazy to get into details about this kind of things outside of the workplace. But roughly, you have the right idea. Religion has held a heavy influence on art, mostly because religion has been the main producer and financing source of art for centuries, especially in Europe. Therefore, visual arts (i.e. any form of illustration or sculpting) in Europe have always been intricately related to the progress and conflicts of different religions; the different "schools" can be directly correlated to the religious history of their countries/regions/towns.

Typically, because they had more funds, more means and a better network to produce art, countries with a strong roman-catholic heritage have developed a very different sensibility to iconography and illustration than other nations. Even the historically unique Flemish movement is entirely related to the struggle between the occupying (and very Catholic) Spanish kingdom and local bourgeoisie.

Consider that the entire BD "franco-belge" initially took on because of Hergé's incredible success in the 30s. His career took off because the local Catholic Church wanted him to promote the correct political ideas among young readers through local right-wing papers (communism is bad, we should be proud of the work of missionaries in Belgian colonies, etc.). This initial political aspiration only got subverted because Hergé and many other European artists of that era were fascinated by the US culture from the early 30s to the late 50s (especially as displayed in Hollywood movies) and were more interested to depict that aspect of entertainment. When WW2 broke, the (at the time) extremely popular early US comics such as Mickey Mouse disappeared from France and Belgium (as well as Italy). This allowed young local artists, with a US sensitivity but a better tuned affinity to their audience, to fill the missing comics pages and create a strong local market.

In terms of BD, a strong divide with the catholic influence happened post-war, the establishing of new local schools of BD heavily influenced by Mad (such as the entire Goscinny/Pilote generation) and the foundation of the Heavy Metal core (Druillet/Dionnet/Moebius) which led another counter-culture movement (itself rejecting Pilote), firmly entranched into social and international (yet not communist) ideals. Those guys are also largely responsible for the spread of Asian popular culture in France (before the commercial boom and resulting 'ban' of Dragon Ball and other manga-based cartoons on TV), whether you talk about the local push for Akira's publishing or the release of HK/Japanese live action movies in the Nineties.

Interestingly, Italy got divided in two schools, which could be (very schematically) summed up as a more left-minded (socialist) school of artists closely related to French-Belgian post-war artist circles such as Pratt and his assistant Manara (who quickly made most of their business in France) or the Giussani sisters (and their innovative "anti-hero" Diabolik), while the US-influenced right-wing press financed local versions of Mickey Mouse, feeding an entire new school of local Disney artists which once again found an opening to the line of business when American comics got banned by Mussolini. Those Italian artists could then export their works to other European countries thanks to the cheap printing costs of Italian presses and the ubiquity of Disney characters. I am not sure how well this is known in the US but the majority of European Disney comics post-60s are drawn by Italians and have their own well-known characters/universes (in the same way that Carl Barks created his own Donaldville universe).

During and after WW2, political ideals essentially took the place of religion in the shaping of mass produced art but the idea is not so different. The Iberica's catholic dictatures of the 20th century are their own can of worms.

Meanwhile, to understand the ascent of comics that progressively led to the tradition of US comics launched under Hearst's print empire, you must go back to Töpffer and Gustave Doré. You can study the political activism behind the work of the Swiss Töpffer (pretty much the grandfather of comics/BD/manga), who only got recognized in countries with a strong Protestant (or assimilated) community (this includes France and Germany, as they both included enough protestants to serve as a counter-culture to catholic dominance). His work had a strong influence on early US artists as well as the French Gustave Doré (pretty much the grandfather of comics), who grew up under a post-revolutionary and religiously skeptical French régime.

Doré was extremely popular internationally for his work, and got his more serious work such as religious paintings bluntly rejected in France (with the local critics still under influence of the Catholic art heritage) while his excessively modern paintings received strong support and commercial success from non-catholic Christian audiences (such as the United Kingdom). And there is that whole thing about Superman as a cultural symbol for the jewish exodus.

Etc. Etc.
And like with every topic, the deeper you get into it, the less you can accept strict, grand lines/generalizations, because you keep finding contradictions and exceptions. The more you know, the more you know that you don't know, the less you realize what you really know.

quote:
Question for all:

BD is just the local word in French for that medium. Anything is BD. Manga is a type of BD, the same way Japanese people describe BD as a foreign form of manga. It's the same with comics: "comics" here specifically identifies Marvel/DC type of comics; less conventional stuff such as Maus or Chris Ware might not even be recognized as comics by some consumers, simply because they do not fit the stereotype of comics. Italian BD is usually identified as Fumetti among French-speaking readers who care to identify them, and guess how like-minded Italians describe "BD" there... The use of local vernacular in a hobbyist's vocabulary is just an intellectually lazy yet practically clever way to describe different art schools/markets.

In short: we don't care that much.

Regarding your other question, I think the artistic borders have really blurred between the different styles and publishing formats, especially since the 80s. It's clear though that current European authors have been more influenced by manga than (US) comics. We might see comeback of North-American influence among a newer generation, with the growing popularity of webcomics, which are largely an anglo-saxon affair at the moment.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Professor
4106th Post

MMCafe Owner

"blazing heat Summer Comiket C86" , posted Tue 12 Aug 14:47post reply

It's that time of the year again! Summer Comiket/86 is coming and as usual there's some interesting stuff coming out. One in particular that looked cool was this FF6 papercraft that comes as a bonus for a doujinshi.

https://twitter.com/FF6_GOLDEN5/status/497626650821922816

Onepunch-man's Murata is doing a doujin for of an anime named MajinBone that he worked on (he did its character designs). He's also showing off a pop-out namecard, which isn't a part of his comiket stuff but looks good nevertheless.

https://twitter.com/NEBU_KURO/status/492154562329866240

This summer seems to have more amusing things than last time and the Kantai Collection section seems a lot bigger. The game has really taken over, it seems.

chazumaru
1282th Post

"Re(1):blazing heat Summer Comiket C86" , posted Tue 12 Aug 18:07post reply

quote:
It's that time of the year again! Summer Comiket/86 is coming

Here is the (one hour long) trailer for upcoming games:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlKyObPdtkc

It starts with Touhou, which is smaller than usual, then proceeds with original games around 16m20s. Where is the wave of Kantai Collection-themed fighting games and Bubble Bobble clones?

The video includes a sequel to Rose & Camelia, a new RaidersSphere, a weird survival sea life simulation called Neo Aquarium 2 and the cool looking GHost94.

The FF6 papercraft is very nice. Is it related to a R18 dōjinshi or is the release more "respectable"?

Même Narumi est épatée !

Professor
4108th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):blazing heat Summer Comiket C86" , posted Tue 12 Aug 21:22:post reply

quote:

Where is the wave of Kantai Collection-themed fighting games and Bubble Bobble clones?

The FF6 papercraft is very nice. Is it related to a R18 dōjinshi or is the release more "respectable"?

Unfortunately doujin games (as well as doujin card games and board games) aren't allowed for Kantai Collection. The FF6 papercraft fits in the "more respectable" category as can be seen from the fact that it clearly has no... stuff happening.

Here's the breakdown of this Summer Comiket.
Figures are rounded to their nearest 100s.

Kantai Collection- 2300 circles
Touhou Project- 1900 circles
Kuroko no Basket- 1400 circles
Shigeki no Kyojin- 850 circles
Idol Master- 800 circles
Tiger & Bunny- 600 circles
Love Live- 500 circles
Free!- 500 circles
Vocaloid(Miku)- 450 circles
Hetalia- 450 circles

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 12 Aug 21:39]

nobinobita
1344th Post

"Re(6):Differences between Jp and Western art" , posted Wed 13 Aug 02:46post reply

quote:
Is it that in descending from a tradition of iconography that the focus on silhouette is preserved even when eras come where huge efforts are being put into the realism of the work? I've heard that the entire Protestant Reformation saw dramatic changes in the treatment/perspectives of art, and if true that change would certainly descend to the non-Catholic immigrants that fled to North America, but it's not something that I am knowledgeable about. Do elaborate!

I'll be honest, this kind of analysis is part of my job, and I am too tired/lazy to get into details about this kind of things outside of the workplace. But roughly, you have the right idea. Religion has held a heavy influence on art, mostly because religion has been the main producer and financing source of art for centuries, especially in Europe. Therefore, visual arts (i.e. any form of illustration or sculpting) in Europe have always been intricately related to the progress and conflicts of different religions; the different "schools" can be directly correlated to the religious history of their countries/regions/towns.

Typically, because they had more funds, more means and a better network to produce art, countries with a strong roman-catholic heritage have developed a very different sensibility to iconography and illustration than other nations. Even the historically unique Flemish movement is entirely related to the struggle between the occupying (and very Catholic) Spanish kingdom and loc

Just wanted to say, thank you so much for this detailed post! There isn't much written in English on BD from the local perspective, so this was very enlightening for me. Thanks so much!

www.art-eater.com

Ishmael
4941th Post

"Re(7):Differences between Jp and Western art" , posted Wed 13 Aug 08:51post reply

I have nothing to add but I did want to say that I have been enjoying this conversation immensely.

chazumaru
1296th Post

"Re(8):Differences between Jp and Western art" , posted Fri 22 Aug 20:48post reply

Man gets 4 1/2 years over threats to 'Kuroko's Basketball' manga author

Of all manga series to get targeted, that is quite a random choice.

Même Narumi est épatée !

hokutoandy
79th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):blazing heat Summer Comiket C86" , posted Tue 26 Aug 08:58post reply

quote:

Where is the wave of Kantai Collection-themed fighting games and Bubble Bobble clones?

Unfortunately doujin games (as well as doujin card games and board games) aren't allowed for Kantai Collection. The FF6 papercraft fits in the "more respectable" category as can be seen from the fact that it clearly has no... stuff happening.

Here's the breakdown of this Summer Comiket.
Figures are rounded to their nearest 100s.

Kantai Collection- 2300 circles
Touhou Project- 1900 circles
Kuroko no Basket- 1400 circles
Shigeki no Kyojin- 850 circles
Idol Master- 800 circles
Tiger & Bunny- 600 circles
Love Live- 500 circles
Free!- 500 circles
Vocaloid(Miku)- 450 circles
Hetalia- 450 circles

Any idea how much the most successful circles make, or how much money is spent total?

Professor
4117th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):blazing heat Summer Comiket C86" , posted Mon 1 Sep 05:09:post reply

quote:
Any idea how much the most successful circles make, or how much money is spent total?

Holy, I realized I didn't reply to this! Sorry about that.

Truth be told, people can only make predictions on how much the major circles make because they don't release figures. Generally speaking they should make at least 3 grand and higher. For instance, the cost of printing 1000 copies of a 24-page fullcolor doujinshi in offset is around $1700 to $1800. Selling at the standard price of $5, the circle will make roughly around $3 per copy. It really depends on the circle's popularity because some of them will be selling anywhere from 2-4 times that volume. And of course if it's just black and white, the profit margin will be even larger. I've written up a rough cost chart below.

Smaller circles will usually go with black and white offset printing. Some small circles actually go with offset printing even for fullcolor like the big names, although needless to say it certainly cuts into their cost. It's not rare to find smaller circles selling at a higher price than major circles for that reason.

Many circles have pride and go with offset printing, but some will go with on-demand printing instead, which sacrifices print quality in place of cost because it more or less uses the same printing technology as a household printer rather than the traditional printing plate method.

A circle that can sell around 300 copies is mid-rank; most small circles can't even sell 20 and they have troubles breaking even considering the convention's registration costs (around $100) and whatnot.

Anyways, here's a quick rundown. Figures are very rough.
I'd be interested to know how much the running costs would be in the States.

All figures are for B5 size.
====================
Fullcolor, 24p

Offset
$1200/ 100 copies
$1300/ 300 copies
$1800/ 1000 copies

On-demand
$300/ 50 copies
$500/ 100 copies
$1200/ 300 copies

====================
Black & white, 24p (Cover is full color)

Offset
$350/ 50 copies
$400/ 100 copies
$500/ 300 copies
$950/ 1000 copies

On-demand
$150/ 50 copies
$200/ 100 copies
$450/ 300 copies

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 1 Sep 18:46]

Professor
4118th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Are you chicken?" , posted Thu 4 Sep 23:24:post reply

If you're a fried chicken lover, here's an interesting prize campaign by KFC in Japan that's sure to raise your wings.

http://www.kfc.co.jp/campaign/colonelsday_thanks3/index.html

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 4 Sep 23:27]

Maou
2680th Post

"Re(1):Are you chicken?" , posted Fri 5 Sep 05:29post reply

quote:
If you're a fried chicken lover, here's an interesting prize campaign by KFC in Japan that's sure to raise your wings.

http://www.kfc.co.jp/campaign/colonelsday_thanks3/index.html

Tekken 3 Announcer sez: CHICKEN! Nice job catching that bird, Prof. I love how even the advertisements are kind of toungue-in-cheek aware of how things suck---love the Colonel going "Wowee, that looks really hard to use!" next to the prize.

Spoon
2679th Post

"Re(2):Are you pigeon?" , posted Sat 6 Sep 04:54post reply

Hatoful Boyfriend had its full English steam release yesterday.

As Steam accepts interactive fiction games through Greenlight, Steam is likely going to become the biggest and most important distributor of visual novels in the western world.

Ishmael
4969th Post

"Re(3):Are you idol?" , posted Thu 18 Sep 22:39post reply

Hatsune Miku to perform on The Late Show with David Letterman. Over the years I've heard of many Japanese singers who have tried and failed to take it to the next level and become international stars. It must feel like salt in the wound to know they are now losing out to a cartoon character.

Freeter
4623th Post

"Re(4):Are you idol?" , posted Fri 19 Sep 01:18post reply

quote:
Hatsune Miku to perform on The Late Show with David Letterman.

The real question is, why Letterman? Fallon's younger and more into the tech stuff, and even Conan is better relatable to the otaku crowd.

Does Dave have a sibling who's really into Miku, or is this something he wants to check off his bucket list?

karasu
1434th Post

"Re(5):Are you idol?" , posted Fri 19 Sep 08:38post reply

quote:
Hatsune Miku to perform on The Late Show with David Letterman.

The real question is, why Letterman? Fallon's younger and more into the tech stuff, and even Conan is better relatable to the otaku crowd.

Does Dave have a sibling who's really into Miku, or is this something he wants to check off his bucket list?

You guys are missing something though by assuming it will be a positive appearance. Letterman has a history back into the 80's of 'look at the unselfconscious idiot' segments, and that might be what this ends up being.

Ironically, it might get me to watch Letterman for the first time in like 20 years.

www.secret-arts.com

Ishmael
4970th Post

"Re(6):Are you idol?" , posted Fri 19 Sep 10:08post reply

I don't expect Letterman to understand any of this -I don't even understand any of this- but seeing how a piece of pop culture can suddenly bubble up in an entirely different area interests me. But no matter how strange this gets it's still not as weird as that time Miku was pushing Toyota Corollas.

Professor
4134th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Eat Miku" , posted Wed 1 Oct 02:51:post reply

Another Miku campaign in Japan by the Familymart convenience store chain. There's some funky stuff in the sweepstakes section, like a... cosplay blanket??

http://modan-sokuhou.2chblog.jp/archives/13836971.html

http://www.family.co.jp/campaign/miku2014/index.html

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 1 Oct 02:53]

sfried
847th Post

"Re(1):Eat Miku" , posted Thu 9 Oct 13:41post reply

quote:
"Like riding Willie Nelson's bus"

General applause, pleasant wave. As ususal, didn't expect audience to understand.

Ishmael
4988th Post

"Re(2):Eat Miku" , posted Fri 10 Oct 00:59post reply

quote:
General applause, pleasant wave. As ususal, didn't expect audience to understand.

That was every bit as inexplicable as I expected. I did like how Miku vanished in a puff of smoke when the gig was over. Meetings at work would be much more tolerable if I could teleport myself away whenever I felt that my part in the proceedings was finished.

karasu
1439th Post

"Re(3):Eat Miku" , posted Fri 10 Oct 01:48post reply

quote:

That was every bit as inexplicable as I expected. I did like how Miku vanished in a puff of smoke when the gig was over. Meetings at work would be much more tolerable if I could teleport myself away whenever I felt that my part in the proceedings was finished.

She should done the old 'log substitution' ninja trick. At least that's how I would do it!

www.secret-arts.com

Professor
4144th Post

MMCafe Owner

"IBM x Steins Gate" , posted Wed 15 Oct 20:39post reply

In a joint effort to promote cognitive computing, IBM is running a collaboration project with MAGES and doing a short anime series featuring Steins Gate. There's going to be a total of 4 episodes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyovwDCzcFY
http://www.mugendai-web.jp/steinsgate/

Professor
4147th Post

MMCafe Owner

"BENGUS (Gouda Cheese) Dragon's Crown figures" , posted Fri 17 Oct 18:15:post reply

Dragon's Crown figure models based on artwork by ex-Capcom illustrator Bengus (Gouda Cheese) are in the works. The first release will be a Warrior model (1/4.5 scale) which will be hitting stores in Japan during December. The figure is based on this piece that was included in the preorder bonus book for the game. Sample images of the figure are available at Amiami. Almost $200! Wow.

The second release will be a Sorceress figure and it's going to be based on a new artwork by Bengus. Moeyo.com has a sillouette teaser for it. (Note: the site's nsfw so I hotlinked to the image. if it's showing up as a 403, here's the link to the full article.)

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 17 Oct 18:21]

Ishmael
4998th Post

"Re(1):BENGUS (Gouda Cheese) Dragon's Crown fi" , posted Fri 17 Oct 22:34post reply

The sculptors did a nice job of taking an image that was only designed for two dimensions and making it into a full model. The recent pictures of these horrifying heroes who are supposed to be based on Jae Lee art shows that this is not the easiest trick in the world to pull off.

While Dragon's Crown is nice I was far more delighted by the highly articulated figure of Auguste Rodin's The Thinker. I have no idea what the point of this is but it's wonderful. The Revoltech figures of Tawaraya Sōtatsu's Fujin Raijin-zu are currently chilling out on a shelf in my home and they may soon get some company. I'm a sucker for fine art reproductions that feature the addition of kung fu battle grip.

karasu
1445th Post

"Kowapoke" , posted Sat 18 Oct 07:01post reply

Happy almost Halloween everybody!

Spoon
2696th Post

"Re(1):Kowapoke" , posted Sat 18 Oct 09:48post reply

quote:
Happy almost Halloween everybody!

Poliwhirl x Uzumaki make it happen

Professor
4148th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):BENGUS (Gouda Cheese) Dragon's Crown fi" , posted Sat 18 Oct 17:08post reply

quote:
While Dragon's Crown is nice I was far more delighted by the highly articulated figure of Auguste Rodin's The Thinker. I have no idea what the point of this is but it's wonderful.

I'm certainly picking this up, thanks! I have an archetype:flesh for posing but this Rodin looks too good to pass. Release is May of 2015 though, that's a long way to go!

nobinobita
1362th Post

"Re(2):BENGUS (Gouda Cheese) Dragon's Crown fi" , posted Sun 19 Oct 07:57post reply

Whoah thanks for the heads up professor!
Anything new from Bengus is cause for celebration!

quote:

While Dragon's Crown is nice I was far more delighted by the highly articulated figure of Auguste Rodin's The Thinker. I have no idea what the point of this is but it's wonderful. The Revoltech figures of Tawaraya Sōtatsu's Fujin Raijin-zu are currently chilling out on a shelf in my home and they may soon get some company. I'm a sucker for fine art reproductions that feature the addition of kung fu battle grip.

The Rodin figures are from a subset of Takara Tomy's T-Arts toy line called "Panda Ana." They do very cool original lineups of gashapons with really creative/ADORABLE themes.

http://www.takaratomy-arts.co.jp/specials/pandanoana/

Here's the page for Rodin's The Thinker:
http://www.takaratomy-arts.co.jp/specials/pandanoana/kangaenai/index.html

Here's a similar set for The Statue of Liberty:
http://www.takaratomy-arts.co.jp/specials/pandanoana/megami/index.html

Zoo Zoo Zoo Sleeping Animals Part 1 (SO CUTE I WANNA CRY)
http://www.takaratomy-arts.co.jp/specials/pandanoana/zoo3_2nd/index.html

Zoo Zoo Zoo Part Two
http://www.takaratomy-arts.co.jp/specials/pandanoana/zoo3/index.html

Shark Tempura
http://www.takaratomy-arts.co.jp/specials/pandanoana/same/index.html

I love em

www.art-eater.com

nobinobita
1363th Post

"Re(3):BENGUS (Gouda Cheese) Dragon's Crown fi" , posted Sun 19 Oct 08:14post reply

While we're (I'm?) on the subject of novelty Gashapon, I absolutely adore these "Fuchico on the Edge" capsule toys:

http://mtrayu.tumblr.com/post/73816697265/kawaii-japan-1-koppu-no-fuchiko

Here's the official Fuchico website
http://fuchico.jp/

I really love stuff like this. Original properties popping up out of nowhere that sell based on their appeal alone. Novel, but full of heart.

www.art-eater.com

Professor
4149th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):BENGUS (Gouda Cheese) Dragon's Crown fi" , posted Sun 19 Oct 17:42post reply

quote:
While we're (I'm?) on the subject of novelty Gashapon, I absolutely adore these "Fuchico on the Edge" capsule toys:

http://mtrayu.tumblr.com/post/73816697265/kawaii-japan-1-koppu-no-fuchiko

Here's the official Fuchico website
http://fuchico.jp/

I really love stuff like this. Original properties popping up out of nowhere that sell based on their appeal alone. Novel, but full of heart.

There's a Kantai Collection collaboration release coming up for it too!
http://www.amiami.jp/top/detail/detail?scode=FIG-COL-7932

Humm, so a Pyramidhead Figma's coming out? looks nice...

chazumaru
1343th Post

"BENGUS" , posted Tue 21 Oct 08:13post reply

They should remake Magnum, P.I. with Charlize Theron as Magnum, P.I..

She bangs the same kind of girls, she has the same car, the same background/buddies (they can replace Vietnam with Iraq), same Honolulu-based stories, same main theme, remixed by Justice. They can eventually have a woman replace Higgins, someone like Betty White, but they could just as well have John Cleese. Would he refuse that wad of cash for shooting a season in Hawaii? I don't think so. Why am I not a T.V. executive? I'd make money.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
2699th Post

"Re(1):BENGUS" , posted Tue 21 Oct 12:50post reply

I think the general line of taking a cool, typically male action role and making the main character a smoking hot lesbian could result in a decent audience. One audience tunes in to see lesbian action and regular action, and a bunch of other audiences find a novel (relatively) protagonist that interests them.

chazumaru
1344th Post

"Re(2):BENGUS" , posted Tue 21 Oct 15:55post reply

Leslie <secret embarrassing Middle Name> Magnum arrives in Hawaii as the long lost / adopted niece of Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV. She inherited a suspiciously lavish place in Honolulu upon the declared death of her uncle. Why is she even in the will? It is the first mystery to be solved. Then in season one's finale, in a shocking turn of events, she has to team up with her uncle Tom Selleck who is really not dead but super undercover and will visit for a few special episodes each time the ratings take a dip. This thing writes itself!

Même Narumi est épatée !

shindekudasai
417th Post

Gold Customer

"Digimon 2015" , posted Wed 22 Oct 12:13post reply

Not sure if this is will be up your alley, but the original Digimon Adventure series is getting a continuation for its
15th anniversary

Just a Person
1593th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Digimon 2015" , posted Wed 22 Oct 22:58post reply

quote:
Not sure if this is will be up your alley, but the original Digimon Adventure series is getting a continuation for its
15th anniversary

Cool! I love the Digimon series (well, at least the four first series; the other two seem good as well but I never had the chance to watch them).

But wasn't Digimon 02 already a direct continuation of Adventure? Will this next series be a continuation of Adventure AND 02, or will it just ignore 02 or treat it like an alternate universe (like the sixth series apparently did with the previous five ones)?

Whatever this is, it seems very interesting.

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Lord SNK
27th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Digimon 2015" , posted Thu 23 Oct 03:03post reply

quote:
15th anniversary

Cool! I love the Digimon series (well, at least the four first series; the other two seem good as well but I never had the chance to watch them).

But wasn't Digimon 02 already a direct continuation of Adventure? Will this next series be a continuation of Adventure AND 02, or will it just ignore 02 or treat it like an alternate universe (like the sixth series apparently did with the previous five ones)?

Whatever this is, it seems very interesting.

The page has a silhouette of a grown up version of Taichi, so I suppose it's a sequel to 02.
I love 02 (the last series I watched was the third one).

shindekudasai
418th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Digimon 2015" , posted Fri 24 Oct 11:55post reply

Seems like they're pulling a "Battle of the Gods" - taking place after the bulk of the series (including 02), but before the finale. The preview says Taichi is 17 there, and I believe the core group was in their late 20s in the final episode.

chazumaru
1345th Post

"Re(4):Digimon 2015" , posted Fri 24 Oct 20:13post reply

I don't know much about Digimon besides that cool movie by the Summer Wars fellow and the original LCD games released around the time of Tamagotchi, but now I hope many girlfriends will choose a Digimon costume for Hallowe'en.

Même Narumi est épatée !

iggy
9815th Post

"Re(5):Digimon 2015" , posted Mon 27 Oct 21:42post reply

I don't know where to post that, so I'll put it here: Akimoto Kitsune just died.
He was a CG artist for kid programs, and he was the guy behind Segare Ijiri, one of the most JAPAN. games of the PS1 and early PS2 era.
RIP.

Professor
4156th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Happy Halloween!" , posted Sat 1 Nov 16:40:post reply

Cosplaying and Halloween goes so hand in hand!

428 〜封鎖された渋谷で〜 

so many marios

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 1 Nov 16:43]

Ishmael
5007th Post

"Re(1):Happy Halloween!" , posted Sun 2 Nov 07:48post reply

quote:
Cosplaying and Halloween goes so hand in hand!

428 〜封鎖された渋谷で〜 

so many marios

Two people showed up as the Johnny Depp version of Tonto? What are the odds of that?

Maou
2695th Post

"morning sun has vanquished the horrible night" , posted Sun 2 Nov 08:29:post reply

quote:
so many marios
Two people showed up as the Johnny Depp version of Tonto? What are the odds of that?

The cosplay tradition (or the convenience of Tokyu Hands' costume section?) has rendered Tokyo just as extravagantly fun a Halloween masquerade as New York these days. The Toyoko subway line even had a special "Adult Halloween Liner" train last week with an on-board costume contest. Keeping this on-topic for the Cafe, you'll notice that costumes included those scary Jiangshi/Kyonshii hopping Chinese ghosts like Lei-Lei from Vampire Hunter.

Meanwhile, I beat the first Dracula/CV very near to the stroke of midnight, for only the second time.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 2 Nov 10:02]

Maou
2695th Post

"penguin has vanquished the horrible night" , posted Mon 3 Nov 09:32post reply

important update

baby penguin robotic spy

Ishmael
5009th Post

"Re(1):penguin has vanquished the horrible nig" , posted Mon 3 Nov 13:00post reply

quote:
Keeping this on-topic for the Cafe, you'll notice that costumes included those scary Jiangshi/Kyonshii hopping Chinese ghosts like Lei-Lei from Vampire Hunter.

Those are terrific costumes but it does make me wish those monsters would show up in more games. Sure, the game won't be as good as Vampire Savior but they should at least try. While they would be decent cannon fodder enemies a game where you controlled a jiangshi would be particularly interesting. The trundling tank controls of RE would finally make sense if your character was a stiff corpse.

quote:
important update

baby penguin robotic spy

Castlevania is nice and all but this board is actually all about the penguins.

Spoon
2706th Post

"Re(1):penguin has vanquished the horrible nig" , posted Mon 3 Nov 15:19post reply

quote:
important update

baby penguin robotic spy

There is actually an entire series about infiltrating penguin colonies with camera-carrying decoys.

Professor
4167th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):penguin has vanquished the longthread" , posted Wed 19 Nov 09:05:post reply

quote:
important update

baby penguin robotic spy

Cute! I want one of those!
Anyhoos
longthead too long, move to next!
http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13504.shtml

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 19 Nov 09:06]