Pollyanna
3481th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 08:17:post reply

I felt the urgent need to divert E3 discussion from the fighting game thread. Current impressions:

Dark Souls 2
Really not fond the trailer. It got me UNexcited about the game, though I'm sure that's not the actual game's fault.

Microsoft
Did the LAST thing I expected...they announced Japanese games. I'm torn, because Crimson Dragon and D4 simultaneously says "we've got games!" and "If we really had games, we wouldn't be showing you these."

Dead Rising 3
A marvel to behold, but absolutely not for me. The last two games HUGELY rubbed me the wrong way.

Metal Gear
Every trailer they've shown has nearly left me in tears. I can't believe how excited I am. My greatest hope for the game is that Snake and Kaz kiss. I'm not into BL and I never ship characters, but somehow, I just want those two together so bad. An ambiguous kiss on the forehead would be fine, but I want man lip touching manflesh for the first time in my life.

The Witcher
I liked the battle system in the last game and this looks like it carries it forward nicely. I feel like you have just the right amount of "magnetism", where you still feel in control of your character, but you always seem to line up with the enemies nicely.

I didn't actually get through the Witcher 2, but that wasn't the game's fault. "Open world" isn't really a selling point for me, but I might be persuaded to check this out eventually.

I am undressed from 80’s style and recreated with modern sexy and beautiful style that amaze you and feel never been experienced world before.

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Tue 11 Jun 08:21]

Replies:

nobinobita
1180th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 08:33post reply

Metal Gear trailer made me tear up too. I love these characters. Everything about the trailer blew me away artistically.

There's something about how Konami models and lights things (especially on the MGS and Silent Hill 1-3 teams). Their stuff is attractive to me like a drawing rather than a faximile of life. I think it's cos they choose their contours as someone skilled at drawing would, and they do their lighting as a painter or cinematographer would.

On that topic, Metal Gear V seems to be the only next gen game with naturalistic colors. I'm very thankful to see such rich, vivid colors.

I'm really tired of the generic "blockbuster" palette that everything else is using, with the silvery washed out look, punctuated with super saturated blues and oranges that still somehow feel drab.

That 4 player team racing game looks fun, but man, how do you set the game on a sunny beach in Miami and everything still looks grey?

www.art-eater.com

Iggy
9557th Post

"Re(1):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 08:49post reply

quote:
Dead Rising 3
A marvel to behold, but absolutely not for me. The last two games HUGELY rubbed me the wrong way.

What was wrong with them? I never played any so I'm wondering.

MGS looks gorgeous, probably the prettiest game after Ubi's latest hidden game. The difference is that Ubi's game seems dumb and boring, while MGS is... I couldn't focus on the setting because my mind was counting all the way Kojipro would make fools of themselves. It started from the very first second of the horse, and... oh god.
I mean, it can end up good! And even maybe non-ironically good! But I wouldn't bet on it.
Plus, little black warrior children... this is not going to end well, Kojima, stop right here before anyone gets hurt.

Beside that... it's the year of "let's show everything in CG because new engines are not ready, even though all these games will have a current-gen version". Doing that for Watch Dog and AssCreed4 was ridiculous, since they already showed in-game before.
I really hope Sony has something more exciting in store. Something that wouldn't be excitingly laughable.

Still on the E3 front, do we have details on the pricing of Tekken F2P? I'm really curious to see the direction they're taking.

Pollyanna
3482th Post

"Re(2):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 09:08:post reply

EDIT: I have concerns about these "cross generation" releases. I understand the reasoning behind it, but like with PSP/Vita releases, I don't like the lack of commitment to new hardware. I hope they balance it out by releasing the next gen versions first to encourage people to adopt the new systems, rather than wait for an inferior version. On the upside, I'll be happy to play big name games on next gen sooner, rather than being stuck with weak launch titles for God knows how long.

quote:
There's something about how Konami models and lights things (especially on the MGS and Silent Hill 1-3 teams). Their stuff is attractive to me like a drawing rather than a faximile of life. I think it's cos they choose their contours as someone skilled at drawing would, and they do their lighting as a painter or cinematographer would.

Maybe that's it! I felt an overwhelming sense of "there's nothing else like this," (even with simple things like guys with guns shooting each other) but I couldn't pinpoint what made me feel that way.

Wow, I feel 10 years younger seeing Konami actually put something out. I hope their big claims about the Fox Engine moving the company forward turn out to be true. They're practically a "non company" these days, compared to what heavy hitters they used to be.

quote:

What was wrong with them? I never played any so I'm wondering.

This is very much my personal opinion and I don't know how many people share it, but I found both games to be infuriating, sloppy and needlessly frustrating. I hated the way the combat felt, I hated trying to keep people alive and I found the boss battles more irritating than gratifying. I don't mind dying a lot in games...I usually like it, even, but in Dead Rising, I felt an overwhelming sense of "this is bullshit" and "screw this crap" over and over again. I think plowing through the crowds of zombies was appropriately frustrating, but I didn't find it frustrating in a fun way.

Also, the sandbox "looking for supplies/building weapons" thing is really neat and fun for a little while, but not really a selling point for me, especially when I dislike the gameplay so much.

The 3rd game seems to continue to give you lots of toys to play with in a rich environment, so I'm sure it will be great for fans of the series. Seeing the combat made me wince just a little bit from bad memories, though.

Again, not saying it's a bad series, not saying "don't play it," just saying that it really doesn't sit well with me.

I am undressed from 80’s style and recreated with modern sexy and beautiful style that amaze you and feel never been experienced world before.

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Tue 11 Jun 09:11]

nobinobita
1181th Post

"Re(2):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 10:24post reply

I honestly, unironically like Kojima's Storytelling. It's far more literary than most movies much less video games. I'M SERIOUS.

I don't blame you if he rubs you the wrong way though. Frankly I'm shocked (and glad) he's still able to make such weird games.

www.art-eater.com

Maou
2485th Post

"Re(1):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 11:08post reply

quote:
I want man lip touching manflesh
Good news, you are in just the right forum for this!
quote:
I'm really tired of the generic "blockbuster" palette that everything else is using, with the silvery washed out look
Nobi, feeling like the world's looking too much like Gears of War these days? Sounds like you need some Blue Sky in Games!

I still can't believe Killer Instinct is back. That is so funny. I don't know if the world is still X-Treme enough to handle it. ULTRA-ultra-ultra-ultra

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

kofoguz
1070th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 11:21:post reply

Wow, XIII Versus name changed to XV, and finally Kingdom Hearts 3 is announced though the first glimpse doesnt look that interesting out of surfing through heartless wave. XV looks mighty fine though.

EDIT: PS4 announced they're support of used games, and no online restrictions. PS4: 1 XboxOne: 0

[this message was edited by kofoguz on Tue 11 Jun 11:45]

Maou
2487th Post

"Re(3):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 11:58post reply

The best E3 news so far may be about...the news. USGamer, a US offshoot of Eurogamer, has just started with Jeremey Parish as a lead. Games "journalism" can always use more people who are actually into writing well, and writing interestingly.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
especially now that you have abandonned us at IC again, Brandon, I will never forgive sob sob sob

End of Spoiler

kofoguz
1070th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 12:04post reply

The Price is just announced. 399 dollas and euros and bucks.
PS4: 2 Xbox One: 0

Freeter
4594th Post

"Re(5):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 12:05post reply

Straight up MURDER. So glad I watched this live.

PS4, here I come.

GekigangerV
1828th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 12:08post reply

quote:
The Price is just announced. 399 dollas and euros and bucks.
PS4: 2 Xbox One: 0

Yep, still a bit rich for my blood, but the continuation of PS+ is great news (stealth pay for online play announcement).

I am gonna wait for the first big bundle or the first $50 gift card deal.

I am not surprised by the FF15 announcement, but I am scared to see the first gameplay footage takes place in a hallway after my FF13 experience. But the gameplay looks more dynamic than FF13 though.

No "The Last Guardian" pretty much means its dead, right?

Pollyanna
3482th Post

"Re(6):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 12:59post reply

The price point on the PS4 is interesting. I was expecting it to be more and to come packaged with the PS Move. Since that was a failure before and they mentioned it so much at their last presentation, it seemed like they were trying to do better with it in their next generation. I can't help but feel that they might have thought that at some point, then decided that the most important thing was to get the system in your living room. No mention of the Move/Eye whatsoever tonight and they had plenty of time. Instead, they leave it behind and undercut Microsoft, who is burdened with the inclusion of Kinect.
quote:

No "The Last Guardian" pretty much means its dead, right?

There were quite a few strange omissions, but this is looking pretty bad.

Gojira
2930th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(7):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 13:01post reply

The yuks just don't stop

Yeah... guys... I don't think I'll get to play Dead Rising 3 or the new Killer Instinct. Please let me know how they turn out.

Actually to be honest, I wasn't super-impressed with the games shown by Sony, but I still want a PS4 anyway.

Spoon
2451th Post

"Re(2):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 13:07post reply

quote:
Metal Gear trailer made me tear up too. I love these characters. Everything about the trailer blew me away artistically.

On that topic, Metal Gear V seems to be the only next gen game with naturalistic colors. I'm very thankful to see such rich, vivid colors.

I'm really tired of the generic "blockbuster" palette that everything else is using, with the silvery washed out look, punctuated with super saturated blues and oranges that still somehow feel drab.

I know that part of the blue/orange/cold look is due to color correction applied to the rendering. It was infamous in Battlefield 3; the lighting model actually supports a much richer and broader color palette, but it gets iced down before it is shown on the screen.

FOX Engine purportedly uses a more accurate/realistic internal HDR color gamut for rendering prior to display (which other engines are doing, too!). If anything, FOX Engine is actually attempting to be more physically accurate, and that physical accuracy is combined with genuine cinematography to create the more naturalistic feel that you are getting. The sun/sky/haze model FOX Engine uses for instance is fantastic; in the opening moments of the video, the blue is rich and the sensation of the atmosphere is palpable, and it is commensurate with the lighting of the area. Accurate simulation of this phenomenon is not trivial!

Battlefield's Frostbite technology is astounding, but the irony of it is that the game boxarts which show blue/grey dudes and orange flames are sadly accurate caricatures of how the game itself looks. I think they are better about this with Battlefield 4, but the settings of the early footage are in grey and dark artificial environments, so it's hard to tell.

Pollyanna
3484th Post

"Re(8):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 13:12:post reply

quote:

Actually to be honest, I wasn't super-impressed with the games shown by Sony, but I still want a PS4 anyway.

I was disappointed on the whole, but I preordered a system all the same. I wonder if I'll have anything to play on launch, though. I was pleased that they touted their number of new IPs. Just making that seem like a priority made me happy.

EDIT:
Where are you Capcom?

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Tue 11 Jun 13:13]

Professor
3767th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 13:33post reply

quote:
The yuks just don't stop

Man, lots of excitement today! I'm going to watch the trailers when I get back home but so far the only one thing I'm a tad disappointed with the PS4 is that multiplayer will require a PSPlus subscription. I keep my PSPlus account and gameplay account separate, which won't be probable any more.

Pollyanna
3484th Post

"Re(9):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 15:39post reply

Aaaaand evidently no region lock on the PS4. Any and all disappointment has melted away. I would say "can I buy two of these?" but the point is that I don't have to.

Spoon
2453th Post

"Dragon's Crown E3" , posted Tue 11 Jun 16:50post reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MVmq2dNzOG4

I remember scaling the spiral stairway in Shadow Over Mystara being mesmerizing, and in Dragons Crown you will do so from the outside!

Somebody else can pick through the overwhelming amount of art references.

GekigangerV
1830th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Dragon's Crown E3" , posted Tue 11 Jun 19:15post reply

quote:

I remember scaling the spiral stairway in Shadow Over Mystara being mesmerizing, and in Dragons Crown you will do so from the outside!

Very nice. This is our first time hearing the English voices correct?

maese
696th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Dragon's Crown E3" , posted Tue 11 Jun 19:39post reply

quote:

Oh my God, even if the character voices are somewhat underwhelming, this baby sure is looking impressive!! What a beauty!! I am amazed at how good Dragons Crown is shaping up.

Other than that and Sony kicking MS arse real hard Sony owning the E3, the most interesting thing so far was probably good ol' Snake playing The Lone Rider in Afghanistan. Such level of visual awesomeness is what one would expect from a next gen title, sure, but as Nobi has already pointed out, Konami earns tons of extra points for good taste and graphic artfulness. I fail to see the point of having a ridiculously powerful graphic engine with zillions of effects, lighting patterns, etc. at your disposition if you end up just creating dull, monochrome environments.

Oh, and I'm kinda embarrased, but I must admit...

...that I have liked quite a bit what we have seen of FFXV. It reminds me of FFVII in a strange way (man, it seems we're talking about French monarchy with all these silly roman numerals).

End of Spoiler

Iggy
9560th Post

"Re(9):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 21:36post reply

quote:
Where are you Capcom?

I was thinking that the entire time!
I wasn't expecting anything new, like a new fighting game or a new Rockman, but I thought they would at least show more of Deep Down at the Sony conference...
The silence was deafening.

Ishmael
4625th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 22:50post reply

My, but that was hilariously one-sided. I wonder if there were a lot of late night meetings and second guessing going on at MS yesterday. It must have been humbling to realize that Sony built a successful presentation around saying "we're not Xbox."

quote:
An ambiguous kiss on the forehead would be fine, but I want man lip touching manflesh for the first time in my life.

Can love bloom on a battlefield? I had checked out of MGS halfway through 3 but this game is looking so insane that I feel myself being drawn back into the series. You can ride a horse and smoke a cigar for hours on end? Before I was uncertain why we needed a new generation of consoles but now I realize it's so that Kojima can have new methods of presenting delirious ideas.

One new game that didn't pull me in, however, was Dead Rising 3. Add me to the list of people who aren't really fans of the series. The problem for me is that I only played a bit of vanilla DR2 and the premise of that game rubbed me the wrong way. One of the tasks in the game was that you had to find frequent doses of medicine for your character's daughter to keep her from turning into a zombie. If it had been my character who was sick I would have simply shrugged it off as another obstacle but the possibility of dead offspring changed everything. What should have been a darkly humorous game turned into the story of a father who was so obsessed with trying to save his daughter he didn't have time for trying on funny hats. With the news that DR3 has become more drab and colorless it's even easier for me to skip on the series.

Ignoring DR3 will be easy since it looks like there's plenty of other things for me to play. I know I shouldn't trust Square but the rebranding of FFXV and KH3 made me excited. I'm certain they will fall on their face later but for now I'm looking to that mysterious far-off date when these games are actually released. Heck, the co-op design of Destiny even made that look like the sort of game I could enjoy.

So far this has been a highly entertaining E3 and it's only Tuesday.

Iggy
9561th Post

"Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Tue 11 Jun 23:41post reply

quote:
Where are you Capcom?

(After the Nintendo Direct)
Well, I wasn't expecting them there...
Wow.

Spoon
2454th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Wed 12 Jun 00:08post reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4dFfVBdRWmw

Bayonetta 2, now with short hair.

karasu99
1150th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

"Re(3):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Wed 12 Jun 00:51:post reply

quote:

Wow, same great design aesthetic, same great vocal direction, same great cinematic sense, a character arriving on a jet... I had been joking that I didn't need to see the trailer since it was already a locked-in buy, but I'm really happy with how it's looking. It's a relief since the first game was probably my favorite game of the last decade, and sequels are so hit or miss.

EDIT: Whoops, I keep forgetting to talk about Dead Rising! The problem I have with the series is that it seems like it's just mindless fun involving bashing zombies to pieces and it's got this great mechanic of different objects behaving differently. But then you play it and you realize that you've got this awful timer pressure keeping you from just having a good time, the fights don't feel fun at all, and the different objects don't feel especially different from each other with a few exceptions.

In other words, the best thing to come out of DR is that Frank was in Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

www.secret-arts.com

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Wed 12 Jun 01:07]

Iggy
9562th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Wed 12 Jun 01:25post reply

quote:
In other words, the best thing to come out of DR is that Frank was in Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

That was the feeling I had... Well, at least I didn't have to play the game to reach that conclusion.

Bayo is perfect. I especially like her new haircut, and the shade of blue is very pretty. Jeanne looks like Ash Crimson, hopefully her bike will come back.
However, I really didn't think Rockman in Smash would make me more excited than Bayo2... He looks even better than in MvC2. If there's a team mode, having a Rockman/Pit team will make me die a happy man.

Spoon
2455th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Wed 12 Jun 01:40post reply

When I saw Megaman with the moon looming in the background, I had to wonder if that was a cheeky reference to him finally getting off the moon.

The Wily/OKUSENMAN song kicking in in the latter half was hype. Him having two megaman 3 powers was a surprise (from spark man and hard man), but then again he has 3 from mm2 (crash bomber, metal blade, leaf shield). I wonder how many powers he will have across the series, and if he will have access to any of the rush suits from MM6 (the boss powers weren't particularly memorable in that one, but megaman having a jetpack and punchy fists made out of Rush was!) or maybe just the bird will be the cameo from MM6....

Gojira
2932th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(3):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Wed 12 Jun 03:16:post reply

quote:

And, apparently, it will have co-op multiplayer. One assumes that player 2 will be Ashlotte Crimson but would she have Bayonetta's moves or will she just be background again while two players play the mysterious Bayonetta twins?

Also I think Sony wants us to forget about Last Guardian at this point. Which I'm actually fine with; expectations for the game were getting ridiculous high, and it would have made me sad to see what was likely going to be a good game fail to meet ridiculous expectations.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Wed 12 Jun 03:22]

Spoon
2456th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Wed 12 Jun 03:57post reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VBpDO45cJms

Eagerly awaiting the Fist of the North Star mod for this game. Seeing as how it's made by the Just Cause studio, Avalanche, it should be a fun game.

Iggy
9563th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Wed 12 Jun 04:37post reply

Nintendo, can you explain this ridiculously awesome shit?

shin ramberk
412th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Wed 12 Jun 04:42post reply

quote:

The

Wii Fit Lady Trainer

End of Spoiler

is in Smash Bros Wii!!!??? I love her!!

Thanks for the link Iggy. Best announcement thus far and I'm not even a fan of the franchise. But I do love me Wii Fit!

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Spoon
2457th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Wed 12 Jun 05:04post reply

quote:

All I can say is the moment I get anything that shoots fire with her, I am shouting YOGA FLAME

Iggy
9564th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Wed 12 Jun 05:19post reply

More Smash Bros.
Stages on the 3DS version are different (and look smaller?)
Rockman also has the Top Spin! And he can use Rush in the same way Mario uses Yoshi in Mario World: as a disposable partner to throw in endless pits of death. Hurray!!!

Spoon
2459th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Wed 12 Jun 07:21:post reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg
Xenoblade successor! The in-game environments look awesome; great sense of scale!

The Last Guardian is either on hiatus or in active development, literally depending on whether you asked Tretton or Yoshida.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=z9ueBmNNGus
Wonderful 101 still looking like a game I want to play.

Extended MGSV video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UMyoCr2MnpM

[this message was edited by Spoon on Wed 12 Jun 07:26]

Pollyanna
3486th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Wed 12 Jun 07:41:post reply

All of Nintendo's stuff looked good, but it was pretty much what I expected, so it's hard to get excited. My biggest delight was seeing that the new 3D Mario is 4 player and all the characters play differently. When I saw that it looked almost exactly like 3D Land, I groaned, but they turned that around nicely by the end of the trailer. Even if I would've preferred something more aggressively "new", 3D Land was a great game and the level designs here look energetic and fun.

Also, the new Mario Kart seems to take cues from Sonic Racing, so that's a plus.

Bayonetta looks like Bayonetta, Smash Bros looks like Smash Bros, Wonderful 101 looks like it did before and the new Monolith game showed mostly the same stuff as the last trailer. These aren't complaints, but I'm done probably with the hype train for any of these until we see a Monolith story trailer.

EDIT: As mentioned, great use of music in the Rockman reveal.

quote:
I know I shouldn't trust Square but the rebranding of FFXV and KH3 made me excited. I'm certain they will fall on their face later but for now I'm looking to that mysterious far-off date when these games are actually released.

They always have good elements, they just can't seem to put them together properly. Still, I couldn't help but be hugely excited seeing XV. If they screw this up, they might as well call it quits.

EDIT 2: New gameplay video. Like the old trailer from a million years ago, it looks like Kingdom Hearts. Maybe Type 0, too.

quote:

Extended MGSV video!

The only thing that's putting even the tiniest stop on my hype for this game is the fear that we'll get some heavy-handed "press the button to torture" minigame, rather than letting us squirm through the uncomfortable scenes instead.

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Wed 12 Jun 07:51]

Spoon
2459th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Wed 12 Jun 07:50post reply

quote:
press X to torture

Given how Snake is pissed and is personally engaging with all kinds of POWs and victims of war, maybe they'll do something like this:
wrangle a rumbling controller (Folklore-style?) to hold down a thrashing amputation patient

I'd be okay with that.

Pollyanna
3486th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Threa" , posted Wed 12 Jun 07:58post reply

quote:

Given how Snake is pissed and is personally engaging with all kinds of POWs and victims of war, maybe they'll do something like this:
wrangle a rumbling controller (Folklore-style?) to hold down a thrashing amputation patient

I'd be okay with that.

Haha! I like it! That's a little more visceral.

If they want to instill a sense of "you can't progress without doing something terrible," I'd rather have a boss fight where you're forced to injure your enemy in an unpleasant way. Or maybe you're acutely aware of how much pain you're causing them and how they don't deserve this any more than you. Maybe you'll look for a more pleasant way to finish them off (to no avail) or be torn between feelings of not wanting to hurt them and wanting to get it over with as quickly as possible. (I know, I know...arm chair game design...(

Burning Ranger
1742th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Wed 12 Jun 09:28:post reply

quote:

Does anyone really expect for this game to stay a WiiU exclusive? But alas, if it isn't, then I suppose it will go to to the PS4 or X1... and I'm not in a rush to get either.

Also, is MGSV still on track for PS3 release? I thought it was announced for the PS3, but I'm getting worried since it was announced for the X1 that Sony will pressure Konami to only release on the next gen machines... UPDATE: Apparently, it is...

So much to do so little time...

[this message was edited by Burning Ranger on Wed 12 Jun 09:35]

Nobinobita
1182th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Wed 12 Jun 09:45post reply

quote:

Extended MGSV video!

New Art-Eater post on Metal Gear and biblical allusions:

http://art-eater.com/2013/06/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-analysis/

www.art-eater.com

Pollyanna
3488th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Wed 12 Jun 10:03post reply

quote:
Does anyone really expect for this game to stay a WiiU exclusive? But alas, if it isn't, then I suppose it will go to to the PS4 or X1... and I'm not in a rush to get either.

Nintendo actually funded the game, so I don't think that's possible. Like, they don't have the rights to the series, but they have the rights to Bayonetta 2. Perhaps there's some sort of clause in there that would allow for a port eventually, but it doesn't seem likely.

quote:

YESSSSSSSS!
I think most people guessed that Eli was Liquid, but this seals it! Super cool!

Maou
2491th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Wed 12 Jun 12:49post reply

quote:

I'm so happy about that, though at first I watched the video without looking at the description and had a fantasy that the next Wii Fit would be happening in fantastical environments where you could beat up Koopa if you were very fit. In the longer video, I love that she actually gives fitness advice while beating up her opponents.

karasu99
1150th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Thu 13 Jun 01:22post reply

quote:
I'm so happy about that, though at first I watched the video without looking at the description and had a fantasy that the next Wii Fit would be happening in fantastical environments where you could beat up Koopa if you were very fit. In the longer video, I love that she actually gives fitness advice while beating up her opponents.

Amazingly that post was how I found out about the reveal of the Wii Fit Lady, and opening the link I had no clue what I was looking at. Bravo Nintendo for doing something weird like that. What surprised me is that nobody here is talking about this guy being in the game. The demo video with him makes me even more interested in his play style than I am in Wii Fit Lady.

I had been wondering about what was going on with Dead Rising 3: well THERE'S your problem!

www.secret-arts.com

Ishmael
4628th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Thu 13 Jun 02:36post reply

All the info about Bayo2 makes it look and sound terrific. I'm looking forward to watching the YouTube videos of the game because, well, it's on the WiiU and I won't be able to play the fool thing.

quote:
I had been wondering about what was going on with Dead Rising 3: well THERE'S your problem!

That route worked so well for RE6 so why not try it again?

Speaking of zombie games with questionable inspiration, the promo for Yaiba:NGZ is a love letter to FMV intros and English anime dubs from the 1990's. Love is blind.

Spoon
2460th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Thu 13 Jun 03:00post reply

quote:

Speaking of zombie games with questionable inspiration, the promo for Yaiba:NGZ is a love letter to FMV intros and English anime dubs from the 1990's. Love is blind.

oh gosh
my heart is aflutter

also, KILLER IS DEAD trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7vT9edxtpWY

karasu99
1151th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Thu 13 Jun 03:05post reply

quote:

Yaiba:NGZ: This guy hates boom boxes.

Wow, that's just about the best/worst thing I've seen in a long time! It's got all of the class and charm of the cutscenes from Shinobi Legions, and the best part was that as I watched it it kept one-upping itself in poor taste!

It's too bad the game itself is unlikely to have that kind of cutscenes, otherwise it may have made it worth trying!

www.secret-arts.com

Spoon
2461th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Thu 13 Jun 08:20post reply

quote:

Extended MGSV video!

Maybe my Bible study is rusty, but isn't Elijah the son of David? I don't remember the genealogy of the priest Eli.

My personal take on Metal Gear is that Kojima's work is just scatterbrained enough to be surreal, and just coherent enough to seem to make sense. I remember when I first played MGS, my feeling was that this was the first game where I felt a total triumph of voice acting over the writing: some of the dialogue was so long and so clumsy that it continually threatened to torpedo its own gravitas, but the unprecedented (for video games) staging and voice acting totally overcame it. You can either read symbolism in EVA telling (Naked) Snake about how instant ramen is the food of the future, or you can look at it as a fun joke that has some historical accuracy (Nissin instant noodles went to market in Japan around 1958, and first became available in the USA around 1970, just after the 1960s setting of MGS3. EVA may have come into contact with them in China or elsewhere in Southeast Asia seeing as how she was part of the Chinese army. Nevertheless, in predicting that they would become a worldwide sensation, she was far ahead of the curve. What does that say about her acumen in the MGS timeline?).

Nekros
555th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Threa" , posted Thu 13 Jun 18:51:post reply

Why the negativity around Bayonetta? Not the best thing I've seen in my life, but seems fine. The whole airplane boss fighting reminded me The Avengers movie and that gave me mixed feelings. But come on, finallly a decent third party exclusive on WiiU.
To me the most exciting news I got these days (except the PS4 not being tainted by draconian rules) is the possibility of an actual BOXED release of Gyakuten 5. I dont' care much about most of the games presented since they're all sports and shooters (even if they look amazing like The Division, Destiny or Killzone 4).

Microsoft -in terms of games presented- was the best. Good choices, decent amount of new ips. I think Quantum Break may be very innovative but with Remedy the change to have another tps is high. Crimson Dragon with controller support is a backstab, but I have hopes to play it since the 360 version is not cancelled (and when the title will bomb on XO they can release on 360 as well....they have a huge fanbase on current gen and releasing the game on XO is really dooming it). D4 seems good but endend to be a kinect game... creepy. Killer Instinct is meh, I like trash fighters (Kasumi Ninja, Shadow Warrior, Dong Dong Never Die, even MK) but the whole mess around it being f2p and being developed by the people who raped Silent Hill are a huge stop to my desire to play. Plus, the Xbone is a very bad console, so no support here for now.

Sony wins on the moral side, but has nothing interesting to me in term of games. Sure, The Order 1886 is a new game but I know absolutely nothing (huge chance of it being the nth shooter, according to trailer). FFXV seems intriguing but I think the whole combat sections were scripted and will differ from the final product. Also, not an exclusive. Anyway, my console of choice.

Nintendo has presented nothing new or mindblowing, but is a solid 1st party lineup. same game Mario Kart (copying Sega Racing) is nothing to me, Neko Mario has a good arcade action that could be fun if played online, Zelda is another remake no one asked for (but they milk Zelda till death).
Donkey Kong got me interested in the beginning since I was sure I can play the game with the WiiU gamepad, then the onstage demo shows the waggle icons and my love for the series and Retro Studios faded away instantly. Seriously guy, **** you. The only thing I can rant about DKCR was the mandatory motion control and they repeat the same thing on a system were the bundled controller doesn't have the feature.
X instead, was the surpise of the show. Huge sci-fi elements, different mechas, big monsters.. this is Takahashi! I'm glad they dropped the fantasy influence of Xenoblade in favour of technology; the game will probabily be similar, but they know how to keep my interest high (scifi tends to have more elements and variety and unique features than hero/epic fantasy). High hopes for this game, very high.

Also, Castlevania LOS2. I liked it. It is the true heir of Legacy Of Kain... shame it's not a proper Castlevania.

@ Polly: you HAVE TO play The Witcher 2. The only wrpg that I can't hate (except ME1), it deserves at least 2 full playthroughs to see everything and has characters in the grey line (not bad guys, not good guys). It's worth it.

[this message was edited by Nekros on Thu 13 Jun 18:54]

Iggy
9565th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Threa" , posted Thu 13 Jun 19:25post reply

quote:
Why the negativity around Bayonetta?

You were probably reading a different forum.
No negativity regarding Bayo is allowed in these lands, lest you want to know what's the next meal we prepared for Onsy.

Pollyanna
3490th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Threa" , posted Thu 13 Jun 19:53post reply

quote:

I'm too scared to watch.
quote:

Well, it is made by a western studio and the last game had plenty of orange and blue...
quote:
Why the negativity around Bayonetta? Not the best thing I've seen in my life, but seems fine. The whole airplane boss fighting reminded me The Avengers movie and that gave me mixed feelings.

Ironically, I think what you just said here was the most negative thing anyone has said about Bayonetta. It's just indifference. Like "yep, it's Bayonetta." I had the same response to the new Batman game. Yep. Arkham.
quote:
The Order 1886 is a new game but I know absolutely nothing (huge chance of it being the nth shooter, according to trailer).

I'm hoping it'll be more "Gears of War" shooter than FPS. I wouldn't mind a GoW game that isn't GoW. Hopefully we'll have fully-customizable facial hair. Pretty lame to announce a game with no GENRE, though.
quote:
FFXV seems intriguing but I think the whole combat sections were scripted and will differ from the final product.

I strongly disagree with this. I can't say what the final product will be like, but nearly everything they showed in the trailer has been done similarly in Kingdom Hears and Type 0. I didn't even see anything that looked like a stretch. I think it's even easy to imagine what buttons do what if you've played its "predecessors". The only "fishy" thing is that they didn't have onscreen prompts for contextual actions like you see in Kingdom Hearts. The actions themselves were nothing really new, though.
quote:
Also, Castlevania LOS2. I liked it. It is the true heir of Legacy Of Kain... shame it's not a proper Castlevania.

HA! I didn't think of it that way! I'm very firm about not following games based on their titles/sequels, so as I said, I'm waiting for good word before I get this one unless a great deal comes along.
quote:
@ Polly: you HAVE TO play The Witcher 2. The only wrpg that I can't hate (except ME1), it deserves at least 2 full playthroughs to see everything and has characters in the grey line (not bad guys, not good guys). It's worth it.

I do like the game, but I was playing it while a friend watched and she got too busy to watch anymore. I redownloaded it recently (I switched hard drives), so all hope is not lost. I did like it...except for some of the acting.

And yeah, X looks great. The reason I bought my (dust collecting) WiiU are still there waiting for me and I still don't regret it.

Ishmael
4629th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Thread" , posted Fri 14 Jun 01:01post reply

I've been wary of the new Arkham game since they seem determined to shove out a new Batman game whether the world is ready for it or not. Then I found out '66 Batman is in it and want to play it right now. Adam West has been doing quite a few stomach crunches!

quote:

Between this and Soul Sacrifice it seems like Inafune is working through some issues.

quote:
My personal take on Metal Gear is that Kojima's work is just scatterbrained enough to be surreal, and just coherent enough to seem to make sense.

That's a very good summary of Kojima. Most of the time it feels like he's throwing things at a wall and hoping it comes out looking like a Pollock instead of looking like a mess. For me, the MGS games are a collection of unrelated ideas that have been randomly stacked together. It can make for interesting games but I don't believe there is any grand, unified theory connecting the MGS games. Any sort of coherence is either accidental or is a creation of the player's subconscious adding in connecting tissue where there is none. That second phenomenon is trait that is most often found in the fans of Hideaki Anno.

badoor
311th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK/PSVITA:BadoorUSA
XBL: BadoorSNK/WiiU:BadoorSNK
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Threa" , posted Fri 14 Jun 01:24post reply

MGSV: I too am excited for it. It looked great. And as Nobi said, it's ironic how Fox Engine aspiring to create ultra realistic visuals accurately meant that the game looks very colorful as opposed to drab and colorless.

Polly: Funny you mention Snake and Kaz kissing. As you know, the MGS series is known for it's attention to detail in modeling male butts, both bare or in skin-tight suits. Maybe more so than female. In addition, Vamp was known to be bisexual. And giving the fact that Kojima wants to "Push all the taboo buttons" in MGSV, maybe Snake kissing Kaz might not be all that far-fetched.

I also liked the voice acting. Kiefer Sutherlund sounded believable as Big Boss. Maybe it's because he didn't scream as much as he usually does in 24 or other games. Also, despite being in every game now, Troy Baker as Ocelot sounds good and close to how Ocelot was in MGS1,2,and 4.

Bayonetta 2: While I am very excited about it, I felt more like "yep, that's Bayonetta 2". The fighting on a jet fighter part felt pretty much like bog standard-issue platinum level design. And I don't know if that is a compliment to Platinum or a complaint about Bayonetta 2. In any case, Bayonetta looks awesome. Though it's funny that Bayonetta and Jeanne exchanged hair-lengths. Oh and Jeanne totally looks like Ash Crimson. And while talking about platinum, The Wonderful 101 looks great too.

Of course there's more smaller news that come out of E3 like the new Etrain Odyssey getting a US release (Two Etrain Odysseys in 1 year!) and so will the next Blazblue.

And then there's the duds, like the new Yoshi's Island on 3DS. That is seriously disheartening as a Yoshi's Island fan. It's simply a straight copy of the original and yet not looking visually anywhere near as interesting. As if The 3DS game the antithesis of the original's design goals. Disappointing.

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/

karasu99
1152th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Threa" , posted Fri 14 Jun 02:11post reply

quote:
I'm too scared to watch.

Haha, it's actually a pretty funny kind of video, complete with execrable voice acting. While I think this kind of self-consciously bad video is funny now, I really hope that it doesn't become a trend since the joke gets old fast.

Hey, was I the only one who was reminded of Taito's old Ninja Warriors games by this, if only in the sense that it's a cyborg ninja?

I suppose there's some chance I might get this if the price is right and if it ends up being fun. I really liked NG 1 and 2, but 3 was a real disappointment, even the updated version. It's also unfortunate that it has to have zombies in it. I would have thought that the whole zombie thing would have burned itself out by now.

quote:
And then there's the duds, like the new Yoshi's Island on 3DS. That is seriously disheartening as a Yoshi's Island fan. It's simply a straight copy of the original and yet not looking visually anywhere near as interesting. As if The 3DS game the antithesis of the original's design goals. Disappointing.

Since I wasn't expecting or wanting a sequel to a game that's just about the pinnacle of its genre, I'm going to quietly insist this doesn't exist once this post is over with. I'll just say that while the 3DS Smash Brothers shows that you can indeed use shaders to an appealing effect, this mess shows that they can also look awful, in which case the attempt should have never been made (or in this case given the go-ahead to be shown. Who exactly thought this looked good enough to show?). As far as I'm concerned, this looks weirdly close to that terribly uncomfortable era of pre-rendered 2d-from-3d-models assets that Nintendo insisted on using in the DS era.

Last sentence of rant I promise: Yoshi's Island has already had a somewhat reasonable followup on the DS, and the updated GBA game was fantastic, so in theory it's possible. I know that making 2D assets for fighting games is extremely costly, but Nintendo has deep pockets to start with and a set of 2D tiles and assets for what would likely sell like hotcakes if done right would be trivial. END OF RANT return to discussion.

Boy, Final Fantasy XV sure looks nice! Here's hoping it's as fun and action-gamey as it looks as it might bring me back into the fold of fans after all these years.

www.secret-arts.com

Pollyanna
3491th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):E3 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF Threa" , posted Fri 14 Jun 04:35post reply

quote:

Polly: Funny you mention Snake and Kaz kissing. As you know, the MGS series is known for it's attention to detail in modeling male butts, both bare or in skin-tight suits. Maybe more so than female. In addition, Vamp was known to be bisexual. And giving the fact that Kojima wants to "Push all the taboo buttons" in MGSV, maybe Snake kissing Kaz might not be all that far-fetched.

I also liked the voice acting. Kiefer Sutherlund sounded believable as Big Boss. Maybe it's because he didn't scream as much as he usually does in 24 or other games. Also, despite being in every game now, Troy Baker as Ocelot sounds good and close to how Ocelot was in MGS1,2,and 4.

I had heard people say "Big Boss is bisexual" for years, but looking it up, it's presumably only due to the date you can have with Kaz in Peace Walker. That was pretty straightforward, but it was also silly and probably non-canon. If Kojima didn't have it in his head at least a little all along, then I wouldn't want it, but when he was talking about "making controversial decisions that could affect sales" it came to mind. I would love to see the response from fans, but I don't want it unless it's "right."

I'm loving Kiefer Sutherlund as Boss so far, but I'm in the minority in that I really don't like David Hayter. Or at least, I didn't like him in Snake Eater and Peace Walker. I liked him in MGS1 and 2 just fine and I can forgive him in 4, as maybe he sounded ridiculous because he was trying to do some "old man thing," but I've always liked Snake much more in Japanese. The new casting evens the playing field for me.

Ocelot I'm "meh" on, but that's probably due to a fondness for his previous actors and my love-hate relationship with Troy Baker. It's amazing how many voice actors and directors I've heard trash talk him, then say "great actor, though." Hahaha...

quote:
Yoshi's Island

Somehow I completely missed this. I will now pretend like it doesn't exist.

Mosquiton
1878th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"I PLAYED SOME GAMES, GUYS" , posted Sat 15 Jun 14:17:post reply

So I was at E3 and I played some things that I thought Cafe members may be interested in.

Killer Instinct: Sure it looks like it caught an ultra combo from the ugly stick, and the announcer is lame, but the game plays surprisingly well. It would be silly to try and talk about balance, but the combo system actually feels like a lot of fun. I'm not sold on the weird combo meter. I think the fact that there's a need for it is a big strange... essentially you can keep linking hits and you have to finish it before it fills up.

The game is actually pretty fast and it's not quite as rigid as the old games either. You can start combos from low hits as well as overheads, and normals actually seem to be useful for poking. Jago can do a crouching short or forward into a light wind kick for example, which is safe on block. Saberwulf has some crazy high-low shenanigans and his dash goes through opponents. It's interesting, at the very least. I actually wish they'd put the "no mercy" moves back in... the ultras look a bit stuttered to me, I miss the gradually ramping speed and blender effect of the original KI, and since you can't knock opponents off the one demo stage I'd prefer to bust out a cheesy fatality.

Maybe it sounds like I swallowed a hype pill, but while I really don't like the look of the game I'd actually like to play more of it. If they're smart they'll put it on 360 as well and think long and hard about how they implement the free-to-play angle. I can't imagine the Xbone could sustain a community if they trickle out characters one by one. I just hope they don't fuck up Fulgore. After seeing what happened to Jago I worry they might give the poor mechanical bastard a goddamn toaster for a head or something.

Dragon's Crown: It's obvious this game looks good, and it seems to play pretty nicely as well. I picked up a controller and found a Dwarf attached, so I rolled with the mighty muscle mountain. I wish there was digital control, and that double-tapping dashed, but it wasn't too bad. Square beats things, forward and square is a dash attack, down and jump to slide (which is fine since crouching is useless in Capcom D&D anyway). Dwarf grabs things by pressing up and square, at which point you can toss them across the screen or into the ground. After jumping you can hit up and attack or down and attack to do a rising smash or downward crash. He also had a triple jump skill equipped which turned the third jump into a fixed-angle body smash which was fun to bomb with. Not sure about the loot/level/quest systems since I didn't have much time with the game, but I'll definitely play this one.

Killer is Dead: The short version is this is a typical Suda game (tigers, beam swords, sexy girls, ridiculous bosses, etc.) that's mechanically a bit more solid than usual... maybe. It's definitely in line with No More Heroes. Health is measured in diamonds, and special meter in flowers. You can transmute power to life by holding a trigger, or hold a different trigger to enter ADRENALINE MODE that lets you one-shot normal enemies or fire various weapons from your gun arm. Square is sword, triangle is guard-breaking punch that can be charged up (weirdly similar to Yaiba in NGZ actually). As you land hits and either dodge or parry enemy blows using circle, your combo level goes up and you do faster, flashier attacks for more damage. It's a bit simplistic in that you basically wail on enemies most of the time, but its fun, and you sometimes get the chance for a finisher. Again, very NMH style of fighting.

Level design and camera feel a bit underdeveloped, giving it the feel of an older action game in certain ways (it's also stage-by-stage progression... I guess Suda didn't hop back on the open-world bandwagon which has gotten so crowded these days), but it was pretty enjoyable to cut people up. The dodge-dash is nice and quick, and I love games that let you parry. There's also a weird dating game between stages where you have to sneak peeks at a woman's lingerie using x-ray glasses, which somehow lets you build up brain juice to seduce them. Not the way I do it, personally. I don't have a problem partaking of cheesecake in general, but it feels like its pandering to an imagined otaku-loser audience more than anything. Apparently bedding the ladies lets you learn new combat moves. Not sure if you can actually move on without succeeding, since I quit this noise to get to the killing.

I didn't get to play Bayonetta 2, unfortunately, but some friends told me it was quite good, and speaking of Witchery everyone who saw Witcher 3 says it's super-dope-witchy-as-shit. Finally, Titanfall looks like an amazing action game that just happens to be a first-person shooter.

I also saw some potential duds. Do not get your hopes up for Lost Planet 3. Ditto for Swery's D4, which he told me has nothing whatsoever to do with Kenji-san. Although everything I saw from that game was work-in-progress, I just don't have a good feeling about it. Maybe I'm biased against Kinect controls. For the record, I did not play Deadly Premoniton.

Why did I type so much? Because I love you guys. Cheers, my friends.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Sat 15 Jun 15:26]

Pollyanna
3492th Post

"Re(1):I PLAYED SOME GAMES, GUYS" , posted Sat 15 Jun 18:20post reply

quote:
Killer Instinct: Sure it looks like it caught an ultra combo from the ugly stick, and the announcer is lame, but the game plays surprisingly well. It would be silly to try and talk about balance, but the combo system actually feels like a lot of fun.

Looking at videos and hearing what you've said, it seems to be a reasonably good followup to its predecessors, but it's just not for me. Normally, I think a fighting game that's only worth playing single player is a failure, but in this case, I think that I would enjoy toying with crazy combos on my own, but wouldn't like them in a vs setting at all. Also, the only character I can even vaguely stomach is Spinal.
quote:
Dragon's Crown: It's obvious this game looks good, and it seems to play pretty nicely as well.

Great to hear! Despite my high level of hype, in the back of my mind, I was always worried that the game just wouldn't be that hot. The variety between characters seems really nice.
quote:
Killer is Dead: The short version is this is a typical Suda game (tigers, beam swords, sexy girls, ridiculous bosses, etc.) that's mechanically a bit more solid than usual... maybe.

I felt like the mechanics in NMH were just barely tolerable and Lollipop Chainsaw was "decent" by the time you had all of your moves. If this is one notch up from that, I'll be pleased. I'm not expecting Platinum-level quality, but I hope I don't have to return to the frustrations of NMH2, which stretched its sloppy system to the breaking point on its conceptually awesome, but mechanically disastrous boss fights.

Maou
2494th Post

"Re(1):I PLAYED SOME GAMES, GUYS" , posted Sun 16 Jun 02:08:post reply

quote:
Why did I type so much? Because I love you guys. Cheers, my friends.
Mosquiton, you are the king of town! Nice to have a direct word on the proceedings. Interested to hear how "fast and fluid" Dragon's Crown feels, since the otherwise lovely Odin Sphere seemed to get bogged down in slowdown and other things when I played it. Was hoping to try it out myself tomorrow, but with Atlus delaying that event, will have to wait!

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 16 Jun 02:15]

Mosquiton
1879th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):I PLAYED SOME GAMES, GUYS" , posted Sun 16 Jun 03:50:post reply

quote:
Killer Instinct:
Looking at videos and hearing what you've said, it seems to be a reasonably good followup to its predecessors, but it's just not for me. Normally, I think a fighting game that's only worth playing single player is a failure, but in this case, I think that I would enjoy toying with crazy combos on my own, but wouldn't like them in a vs setting at all. Also, the only character I can even vaguely stomach is Spinal.

I had fun playing the game against a few fellow showgoers, but playing against someone from the dev team I realized combos can go on for a really long time, and there's no such thing as a guaranteed combo breaker... it's a 1 out of 3 guessing game every time although you may be able to "read" the animations to determine the right breaker strength. The funny thing is that it seems matches between two skilled players can still be hilariously one-sided, the game definitely has its own weird flavor.

quote:
Interested to hear how "fast and fluid" Dragon's Crown feels, since the otherwise lovely Odin Sphere seemed to get bogged down in slowdown and other things when I played it. Was hoping to try it out myself tomorrow, but with Atlus delaying that event, will have to wait!

I actually was actually kind of down on Odin Sphere, I felt like that game didn't have a concept of hit stun and was just kind of awkward overall. Dragon's Crown maybe isn't as tight as Mystara but it's far from clunky. I just need to figure out how to dash properly.

One other thing! Dark Souls II is good, combat feels changed but not too terribly different. Still Dark, still Soulsy.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Sun 16 Jun 04:36]

Ishmael
4632th Post

"Re(3):I PLAYED SOME GAMES, GUYS" , posted Sun 16 Jun 10:03post reply

Thanks for the write-up Mosquiton. Not only were you willing to brave the crowds of E3 but you even tried to play Lost Planet 3. Way to take one for the team.

quote:
I had fun playing the game against a few fellow showgoers, but playing against someone from the dev team I realized combos can go on for a really long time, and there's no such thing as a guaranteed combo breaker... it's a 1 out of 3 guessing game every time although you may be able to "read" the animations to determine the right breaker strength. The funny thing is that it seems matches between two skilled players can still be hilariously one-sided, the game definitely has its own weird flavor.

I don't think I've ever actually seen high level KI play. The people I knew who were KI fans seemed more interested in perfectly entering long, complex combos. It was as if KI was a very violent rhythm game. But, as you noted, KI has always been out there doing its own weird thing. Since KI3 is so proud of its heritage I find I'm curious about the game in spite of myself. I wonder what sort of audience KI3 would have found if it was being published under ideal circumstances. But with its odd release system and the trap of being an Xbox exclusive I feel that KI3 has a very steep road to climb.

quote:
Killer is Dead

The longer the wait goes for this game the more my interest cools. Every time I see a new Suda game I think its going to be an awesome piece of surreal exploitation. Then I remember this is the same group that made NMH and Samurai Champloo. Hopefully the Kazuma Kiryu-esque dating sim will be interesting. That, or maybe some luchador masks will show up soon.

quote:
Somehow I completely missed this. I will now pretend like it doesn't exist.

This is the same trick I'm going to use when it comes to that unasked for 3D sequel to LttP.

Spoon
2462th Post

"Re(3):I PLAYED SOME GAMES, GUYS" , posted Sun 16 Jun 10:36post reply

quote:
Odin Sphere hitstun

It had a really bizarre way of handling it. Many normal attacks indeed would not inflict hitstun, but it seemed like many enemies had hidden stun gauges that once filled would cause them to go into hitstun when struck. Some moves seemed to kind of sort of reliable cause some kind of hitstun, but it was of the super armor variety (i.e. they still keep doing what they're doing, but it gets delayed/slowed down by a few frames, like when Juggernaut is doing Headcrush and takes hits).

I came to that conclusion by killing countless waves of enemies by doing mostly the dive attack at them as Gwendolyn, since I couldn't figure out how to fight them toe-to-toe without taking way too many hits.

Iggy
9573th Post

"Japan Expo 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF" , posted Fri 5 Jul 00:41post reply

I'm not sure if SQEX's relationship with its fan is more of a classic abusive relationship or running gag comedy routine, but Lightning arriving in FF14, along with a full line of items if you want to cosplay as her (or Snow) while interacting with her, is pure... something.

It was funny when people said "they're adding 30 minutes FFX to introduce Lightning there too", but I'm starting to wonder if they could actually do that.

Or introduce Noctis and start another 5 years of shoving unlikable characters down their customers' throat.
Fortunately, there's going to be far less victims there after the last 5 years.

Pollyanna
3505th Post

"Re(1):Japan Expo 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF" , posted Fri 5 Jul 06:31post reply

quote:
I'm not sure if SQEX's relationship with its fan is more of a classic abusive relationship or running gag comedy routine, but Lightning arriving in FF14, along with a full line of items if you want to cosplay as her (or Snow) while interacting with her, is pure... something.

I had hoped that they would go all the way with including things from other FF games in FFXIV, but I don't think I properly considered what "all the way" would entail.

Still, you can get a baby Demon Wall (a brick) to follow you around, so I'm not complaining as long as the game doesn't end up with more FFVII tie-ins than anything else. The only thing I'm not liking is the new soundtrack. In the old version, having Uematsu do the music gave it an "authentic" flavor and the battle themes in particular had a good feel. The new soundtrack puts me to sleep. Excluding a few tracks, I aggressively hate it. I'd much rather have nice mixes of classic FF music. Still, it seems to be going over well with other players, so pfffffft, what do I know?

Iggy
9575th Post

"Re(2):Japan Expo 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF" , posted Fri 5 Jul 18:53post reply

quote:
The only thing I'm not liking is the new soundtrack.

You mean that changing the game and map wasn't enough, they even ditched the whole soundtrack and composed a new one???

Toxico
5794th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(3):Japan Expo 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF" , posted Fri 5 Jul 19:08post reply

quote:

You mean that changing the game and map wasn't enough, they even ditched the whole soundtrack and composed a new one???

Why are you surprised? Changes as such are part of the usual treat of washing your hands away from a previous fluke, and make it look like the version 2 is good on it's own. It's like cutting your hair after getting rejected (which, of course, it's embarrassing).

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

Loona
708th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

"Re(3):Japan Expo 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF" , posted Fri 5 Jul 22:33post reply

quote:
The only thing I'm not liking is the new soundtrack.

They didn't ditch all of it, I recognized in the very least one of the old tracks, the Natalan one I think.

I'm just kind of miffed that even if they announced Gilgamesh would make it to FF14, Lightning actually got included first... priorities, people!...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Pollyanna
3506th Post

"Re(3):Japan Expo 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF" , posted Sat 6 Jul 06:18post reply

quote:

The game isn't like...an addon and while it's a rebuild of the original, it's also a sequel, so it would be a little weird if it had all the same music. My biggest problem is that they ditched a wealth of classic-style Uematsu battle themes and replaced them with really watered-down stuff. I know it's the norm to have more "atmospheric" pieces in online RPGs, but I refer something a little more striking. There are an absurd amount of new tracks, so I'm sure to find a few in there I like, but it doesn't have the classic FF feel anymore, even though they tried to add it everywhere else.

quote:
I'm just kind of miffed that even if they announced Gilgamesh would make it to FF14, Lightning actually got included first... priorities, people!...

Well, Gilgamesh doesn't have a new game coming out, soo...hahahaha.

I don't think it's the inclusion of Lightning that bothers me so much as how she was included. Wouldn't it have been better if she was wearing her XIII-2 or XIII-3 costume instead of modern-looking clothes? Maybe she could be a plot character in a quest like that leads to you fighting Odin (but also fits within the world). This just feels tacked-on and will give (lots of?) players costumes that don't fit in the world.

Loona
709th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

"Re(4):Japan Expo 2013OMGWTFBBQBFF" , posted Mon 8 Jul 09:20post reply

quote:

I don't think it's the inclusion of Lightning that bothers me so much as how she was included. Wouldn't it have been better if she was wearing her XIII-2 or XIII-3 costume instead of modern-looking clothes? Maybe she could be a plot character in a quest like that leads to you fighting Odin (but also fits within the world). This just feels tacked-on and will give (lots of?) players costumes that don't fit in the world.

Outfit in XIV are all over the place stylistically, so I wouldn't worry too much on that front.

Also, Odin's in the game, and apparently it's even possible to get his mount, so the Lightning/odin connection might actually mean something in the game.

Personally, since Dissidia came up I rather welcome the notion of more crossing over between the games - heck, if it were up to me it'd be as common as chocobos now that the floodgates are open, I just value precedence of older characters, even if promoting more recent ones is understandable.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"