Maou
2816th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Final Fantasy V Four Job Festa" , posted Fri 7 Jun 02:33:post reply

In my continuing crusade against Randomthreads, here's a thread for the Final Fantasy V Four Job Festa, as seen on Neogaf and run by the same insane genius who did the SaGa 2 thread.

I actually really like the idea of trudging through FF V with randomly assigned jobs for charity, and I haven't played that game for...10 years?! I'm trying to think of the most ridiculously poor team possible and am currently on Geomancer/Dancer/Berserker/Thief. The funniest game thread I've ever seen was probably watching a Let's Play of someone at Toastyfrog try to play through FF I using only Thiefs or Black Mages.

EDIT: More importantly, what is your Dream Team (that is terrible)?

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 20 Jun 06:32]

Replies:

karasu99
1143th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Final Fantasy V Four Job Festa" , posted Fri 7 Jun 03:20post reply

quote:
In my continuing crusade against Randomthreads, here's a thread for the Final Fantasy V Four Job Festa, as seen on Neogaf and run by the same insane genius who did the SaGa 2 thread.

I actually really like the idea of trudging through FF V with randomly assigned jobs for charity, and I haven't played that game for...10 years?! I'm trying to think of the most ridiculously poor team possible and am currently on Geomancer/Dancer/Berserker/Thief. The funniest game thread I've ever seen was probably watching a Let's Play of someone at Toastyfrog try to play through FF I using only Thiefs or Black Mages.

FANTASTIC! I'm going to savor this thread like a fine wine. Final Fantasy V is still one of my favorite games ever, despite the fact that overall FF is probably my least favorite RPG series ever. I think it's the jobs that do it for me.

Personally (and this is just something of a guess, since it's been a few years since I last played) I think the Dancer has got to be among the worst classes, but it may just be that it doesn't match my playstyle.

What's the general thought about the GBA rerelease? It's pretty much the only version I play since the translation is at least better than the Playstation release.

www.secret-arts.com

Maou
2494th Post

"Dancers and Bards vs. Neo-Exdeath" , posted Mon 17 Jun 02:27post reply

OKAY CHILDREN you have been very bad because you have not yet posted your ideal (terrible) FF V team.

That's okay, though, because you can still watch the charity organizer play the game for 24 hours straight in an attempt to actually beat Neo-Exdeath with his sad, sad team of a Thief, a Red Mage, a Dragon Knight, and...a Beastmaster.

Good times also begin in the actual thread as other players do great things like name Butz "Damnit."

Spoon
2463th Post

"Re(1):Dancers and Bards vs. Neo-Exdeath" , posted Mon 17 Jun 03:58post reply

I have never played through FFV. Having played through FF1 and FF6 multiple times (yes, my FF experience is very bipolar like that) and not having beaten a numbered FF since FF7, how does FFV stack up and what version/platform of it should I be playing?

karasu99
1155th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Dancers and Bards vs. Neo-Exdeath" , posted Mon 17 Jun 05:15post reply

quote:
I have never played through FFV. Having played through FF1 and FF6 multiple times (yes, my FF experience is very bipolar like that) and not having beaten a numbered FF since FF7, how does FFV stack up and what version/platform of it should I be playing?

I'm sure Maou can speak more intelligently than I can on the subject, but FFV is mostly known for its very enormous job system, which is much more heavily developed than FFIII's. It's also (for my taste) got a pretty human-seeming protagonist, Butz/Bartz. I get the idea that a lot of people think's it's unremarkable since it's on the SNES and ISN'T FFIV or FFVI, but I've always had a soft spot for it.

As far as platforms, the very easiest to come by (if you have an iThing) is the iPhone/iPad version which has redone graphics in the style of the FFIV Complete PSP remake from a few years back. I've always liked the GBA version, since it has the extra stuff in it like new classes etc., and the PS1 version is not bad. I think it came out on PSN as well. Of course there's always emulation of the Super Fami original, which I'm sure provides nearly the perfect playing experience.

Maou, I've let you down-- I started the game, only to get sidetracked. I've got a long flight coming up so perhaps I'll play it on the plane!

www.secret-arts.com

Maou
2496th Post

"Geomancers and Beastmasters vs. Neo-Exdeath" , posted Wed 19 Jun 16:14:post reply

Interview on the phenomenon by USGamer. 1300 people is a lot of people bumbling through FF V with self-imposed handicaps for charity.
quote:
played through FF1 and FF6 multiple times

Spoon, I'd hate to cause you to break from the paradigm Iggy once described of it only being worthwhile to play entries that are divisible by six, but V is an incredibly fun, dumb, earnest game with even better mechanics than VIII. As an FF I player, you'll like the Job System, and being able to change jobs anytime makes for infinite variety of the kind being celebrated by the abovementioned Fiesta.

The characters are all morons, but the world design and scenario planning are just full of the great set pieces that also made VI great: trans-dimensional castles, battles across continent-spanning bridges, and a low-key but brilliant visit to a hometown whose residents tell the hero's backstory in a completely believable and effortless way.

Play the SFC original if you speak Japanese or find a translation patch; otherwise, the GBA appears to have the best script, even if you're stuck with the usual crappy music from the GBA ports. PS1 version has better (but still bad) music but laughable English text.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 19 Jun 16:37]

Loona
702th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Geomancers and Beastmasters vs. Neo-Exd" , posted Wed 19 Jun 17:34post reply

quote:
Interview on the phenomenon by USGamer. 1300 people is a lot of people bumbling through FF V with self-imposed handicaps for charity.

I caved in and I'm giving it a try too, since i started the game once but didn't get round to finishing it - got assigned blue mages for the first crystal, which is a bit of a double-edged sword: lots of power and flexibility, but I'll fee forced to go get all the spells with no guarantee that I'll be able to use the other jobs that would make it easier like beastmaster.

Then again, with the time I spent on FF11, which owes a lot to 5 in terms fo mechanics, some things are really going to feel a lot easier.

quote:

played through FF1 and FF6 multiple times
Spoon, I'd hate to cause you to break from the paradigm Iggy once described of it only being worthwhile to play entries that are divisible by six, but V is an incredibly fun, dumb, earnest game with even better mechanics than VIII. As an FF I player, you'll like the Job System, and being able to change jobs anytime makes for infinite variety of the kind being celebrated by the abovementioned Fiesta.

IMO there really should be a subset of the challenges that lets you stick to jobs from chosen FFs, like registering with #ff1 to only get the first game's jobs.

quote:

The characters are all morons, but the world design and scenario planning are just full of the great set pieces that also made VI great: trans-dimensional castles, battles across continent-spanning bridges, and a low-key but brilliant visit to a hometown whose residents tell the hero's backstory in a completely believable and effortless way.

There's also Gilgamesh, and Galuf has some impressive scenes that stomp all over some of the more recent games.

I'm playing to iOS version now, and while the sharper-looking environments look nicer, considering the importance of 5's setting in Dissidia, I which they'd have included a few nods to it in the game (or any other subsequent FFs and remakes, while at it).

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Maou
2499th Post

"Bards and Time Mages vs. Neo Exdeath" , posted Thu 27 Jun 01:34:post reply

quote:
There's also Gilgamesh, and Galuf has some impressive scenes that stomp all over some of the more recent games.
Oh yeah, I'd really pin the charm of V on the scenes---the scenarios and set pieces---rather than the dopey yet endearing cast and the villain who is an evil tree (!). The fight with Atomos might be the most clever boss fight design ever featured in a turn-based RPG.

I can't even tell you how happy I am that these neogaf kids are wasting Neo-Exdeath with the Chemist class, and approaching V in almost fighting game terms with synergies and tag-teams among the party member jobs.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 27 Jun 02:07]