Riots in Turkey - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2867 Views )

Spoon
2446th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Riots in Turkey" , posted Sat 1 Jun 03:05post reply

kofoguz is our resident Turk, but I was wondering if anybody else had been following this. It looks pretty serious. Is it affecting the area you're in, kofoguz?

One person is streaming footage of things here:
http://geziparkitv.blogspot.com/

So far the most notable thing on that stream is the number of other people with cameras trying to get shots/footage of what's going on.

Replies:

kofoguz
1060th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Riots in Turkey" , posted Sat 1 Jun 10:22post reply

quote:
kofoguz is our resident Turk, but I was wondering if anybody else had been following this. It looks pretty serious. Is it affecting the area you're in, kofoguz?

One person is streaming footage of things here:
http://geziparkitv.blogspot.com/

So far the most notable thing on that stream is the number of other people with cameras trying to get shots/footage of what's going on.

Actually it's near the restoraunt where I work. The gas affected me little. Late night the protest was near in front of door. It started with the Taksim Square's neighboor Gezi Park being sold without even consulted and trees were being cut to destroy the park and sell the land for the Mall. People was camping, but a day earlier in 5 a.m people were attacked and their tent were burnt down by the police and they didnt let anyone get in. People said that's enough and protest but the reaction was unnecesarlly cruel. So fed up with goverment the whole country wants them down and protest all day and night upcoming days. Theyre still protesting.

This photo is taken a few days earlier
You can see it live And in case I forgot something one of my friends status on Facebook;

To all my non Turkish friends and Turkish friends living abroad: police attacked today at 5am the protesters defending a park in the center of Istanbul and woke them in their tents with pepper spray and burnt down their tents. The attack is disproportional and unjust.

The protest itself is against the destruction of Gezi Parki the only green left in the center of Istanbul and construction of a shopping mall instead (by people who are in close relations with Tayyip Erdogan and the government). It was never only about the park. The park became a symbol for everything that the government is tearing down, the trees they cut down, the history they destroyed, the rivers they polluted, the seas they filled with cement, all in the name of economical growth, and of course the laws they have enacted to attack our private lives...The protest at the park is a protest against their corrupt government. So please spread the word by using social media; facebook, twitter, friendfeed etc...we are using the following hashtags: #ayagakalk #geziparki #occupygezi

Today a war long due has begun...It's a day of unity...I hope your hearts are beating with ours...Let our love and determination defeat their ambition for money

And the latest one.

"Dear friends all around the world,

something brave and significant is happening in Istanbul, Turkey.
A late blooming Occupy wave one might call it.

Citizens tired of a bullying government with its corrupt management of public spaces and reckless abuse of land are coming together to protect a public park in the heart of the Istanbul which is under the threat of being demolished so the 94th shopping mall can be built in its place. People are holding in spite of the brutal attacks by the police (today's attack was at 5am in the morning one shall point out! including tear gas bombs, burning the tents, hospitalizing a person...). It is the 3rd day now, more than 10,000 people have gathered in the park!
Meanwhile, public spaces are being sold to hotels, precious ecosystems are being wasted for more industry, power plants, 3rd bridge over Bosphorus!

This has become a matter about more than just saving trees. This is an 'I can do whatever I damn well want', fascist mentality that not only supresses but attacks its own people.

To make matters worse, media channels are being censored so as not to display the news.

#direngeziparki is now the 2nd worldwide trending topic on Twitter.

Please help us to share this message and stop Erdogan's ruthless, inhumane acts.

What you can do:
- Forward this message to everyone you know
- Send your support messages through twitter with the #direngeziparki hashtag
- Tag @bbc @cnn @reuters and other large media channels in these posts
- Post this message on facebook
- Let your local and national media channels know

Please help spread the news globally.
We need all the support we can get now."

The media is so corrupt now that when I look at the tv (news channel CNNTurk) it was showing somekind of unimportant lame talk show, when turn my head the opposite direction I could see the gas bombs are thrown and the protestors. Please also let it be known the 95% of media is inside the hands of the goverment. Tomorrow I will try to go to work, it will probably be closed so I will be in the protest if I can. They blocked the roads and stopped the Metro's.

Iggy
9538th Post

"Re(2):Riots in Turkey" , posted Sat 1 Jun 20:16:post reply

Wow. Stay safe, Oguz.
I had no idea about all that... Best of hopes that the situation ends up better than in Tunisia.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Sat 1 Jun 20:52]

kofoguz
1061th Post

"Re(3):Riots in Turkey" , posted Sat 1 Jun 22:51post reply

quote:
Wow. Stay safe, Oguz.
I had no idea about all that... Best of hopes that the situation ends up better than in Tunisia.

They now blocked facebook and twitter. Spread the word that it can be tricked with dns changing. I heard it might be only on this area there's alot of jammers to prevent people showing videos and pictures.

Iggy
9538th Post

"Re(4):Riots in Turkey" , posted Sat 1 Jun 23:46post reply

quote:
They now blocked facebook and twitter. Spread the word that it can be tricked with dns changing. I heard it might be only on this area there's alot of jammers to prevent people showing videos and pictures.

Spread! I'm meeting a Turkish friend later today, to ask about her family. I hope the situation gets better soon for all of you.

badoor
309th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK/PSVITA:BadoorUSA
XBL: BadoorSNK/WiiU:BadoorSNK
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Riots in Turkey" , posted Sun 2 Jun 01:20post reply

quote:
Wow. Stay safe, Oguz.

Spread! Hope you, your family, your friends, and Turkey itself can get thru this protest safely. Stay safe, Oguz.

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/

kofoguz
1062th Post

"Re(5):Riots in Turkey" , posted Sun 2 Jun 04:58post reply

quote:
Wow. Stay safe, Oguz.
Spread! Hope you, your family, your friends, and Turkey itself can get thru this protest safely. Stay safe, Oguz.

Thanks I'm proud of this country. Now every city almost every square is protesting. Even my neighbourhood -moderately conservative- is protesting, they had spoons and pots to make some noise to be heard. Bigger counties have massive amount of people (Beşiktaş has 30.000 people), in taksim it's tens of thousands) My home city Adana is also has tens of thousands of people gathered. I'm hoping that would make the government fall. He was acting like the emperor. When he said "you can do whatever you want we decided" was the last straw.
There's also stories like a famous comedian stopped his show and walk to the Taksim and goverment puppet tv canceled his show. This is huge, this is the strength of the people, two trees died a nation woke up!

karasu99
1138th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(5):Riots in Turkey" , posted Sun 2 Jun 05:01post reply

quote:
Wow. Stay safe, Oguz.

Spread! Oguz, stay well and be safe.

www.secret-arts.com

nobinobita
1176th Post

"Re(6):Riots in Turkey" , posted Sun 2 Jun 05:36post reply

quote:

Thanks I'm proud of this country. Now every city almost every square is protesting. Even my neighbourhood -moderately conservative- is protesting, they had spoons and pots to make some noise to be heard.

The news is spreading to the US.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/01/world/europe/turkey-protests/index.html

I hope you and your family and friends are ok. Please stay safe!

www.art-eater.com

Ishmael
4615th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a

"Re(7):Riots in Turkey" , posted Sun 2 Jun 05:59post reply

Stay safe and the best of luck. We're thinking of you!

Pollyanna
3463th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(8):Riots in Turkey" , posted Sun 2 Jun 06:17post reply

I hope the best for you and your country as well. Hopefully this will turn into something positive.

I am undressed from 80’s style and recreated with modern sexy and beautiful style that amaze you and feel never been experienced world before.

Spoon
2447th Post

"Re(9):Riots in Turkey" , posted Sun 2 Jun 07:18post reply

I hope you and your family/friends stay well; it sounds like crazy times there. I, too, hope that something good comes out of all this.

Krzyzewski Man
1180th Post

"Re(10):Riots in Turkey" , posted Sun 2 Jun 07:49post reply

quote:
I hope you and your family/friends stay well; it sounds like crazy times there. I, too, hope that something good comes out of all this.

Keep it up. You're not Americans, so your Occupy'll probably work. :P

!!!!!!!

Professor
3758th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Riots in Turkey" , posted Sun 2 Jun 10:17post reply

quote:

Thanks I'm proud of this country. Now every city almost every square is protesting. Even my neighbourhood -moderately conservative- is protesting, they had spoons and pots to make some noise to be heard.

Take care Kofoguz! I remember there was quite some media control back in Japan too when the Fukushima accident happened, but nothing at this level like even Internet media getting blocked. That's really crazy. I hope you, your family, and your friends are doing well. Please stay safe!

kofoguz
1063th Post

"Re(7):Riots in Turkey" , posted Sun 2 Jun 15:48post reply

quote:

Take care Kofoguz! I remember there was quite some media control back in Japan too when the Fukushima accident happened, but nothing at this level like even Internet media getting blocked. That's really crazy. I hope you, your family, and your friends are doing well. Please stay safe!

Thanks everyone. Protestors are so consious out of some provacatives, we see the pictures some dirty cops dressed as civilians,and vandal around. They do that even in costume. I hope this will sontinue in strong will. Thanks everyone for their support. I will try to inform you about this daily.

Maou
2479th Post

"Re(8):Riots in Turkey" , posted Sun 2 Jun 20:46post reply

Man, be careful! I remember going to a nice hotel gym off of Taksim several times when I was enjoying Istanbul. Hard to believe that lovely city is facing something like this.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

kofoguz
1064th Post

"Monsters of the Goverment" , posted Mon 3 Jun 12:31post reply

quote:
Man, be careful! I remember going to a nice hotel gym off of Taksim several times when I was enjoying Istanbul. Hard to believe that lovely city is facing something like this.

Maou it is not just İstanbul now. Almost every city and the major cities are in riot. Polis is monsterously reacting to the protestors. They attacked to the ER's shelters of the protestors schools yesterday. Today when I was out of work, I thought it was calming down cause all the major media is controlled by the goverment so I wasnt aware of the protests, when I try to go home I trapped and had to run to a shelter. Now I'm in a house of one of the protestor (he is really in very bad shape).
The dictator is fled to the tunusia for some excuse. The controlled media is still encouraging the diktator and he still doesnt car about public and still he claims he can do whatever because he was elected (by cheating). Still saying things like "we'll do whatever we like".

I saw my own eyes that a controlled media was reporting the detached pavement, when you walk a little you can see all the protestors was cleaning the street. Even the smallest shattered glass. But I just saw the news and they dont even show that. I saw polis burning down a dozer and blaming on to the protestors. Things getting more and more serious.

HAYATO
1114th Post

PSN: Lord-Hayato

"Re(1):Monsters of the Goverment" , posted Mon 3 Jun 18:44post reply

quote:
Maou it is not just İstanbul now. Almost every city and the major cities are in riot. Polis is monsterously reacting to the protestors. They attacked to the ER's shelters of the protestors schools yesterday. Today when I was out of work, I thought it was calming down cause all the major media is controlled by the goverment so I wasnt aware of the protests, when I try to go home I trapped and had to run to a shelter. Now I'm in a house of one of the protestor (he is really in very bad shape).
The dictator is fled to the tunusia for some excuse. The controlled media is still encouraging the diktator and he still doesnt car about public and still he claims he can do whatever because he was elected (by cheating). Still saying things like "we'll do whatever we like".

I saw my own eyes that a controlled media was reporting the detached pavement, when you walk a little you can see all the protestors was cleaning the street. Even the smallest shattered glass. But I just saw the news and they dont even show that. I saw polis burning down a dozer and blaming on to the protestors. Things getting more and more serious.

Wow, I would not have imagined things could spiral out of control so fast! I really hope everything ends well for all of you; now that the movement has reached national magnitude time is on your side, so take care pal, and keep us informed if you can. İyi şanslar!!

Iggy
9539th Post

"Re(1):Monsters of the Goverment" , posted Mon 3 Jun 19:22post reply

It is starting to spread. The Guardian, and finally some French medias (unsurprisingly shitty).

The big issue being that NATO needs Erdogan because the country is at an extremely strategic position, and he helps NATO in Syria. So I don't expect the international officials to change their discourse until the situation worsens, and like in Libya suddenly the West's great friend against terrorism is shot down.

Please be safe. I find it extremely ironic (and worrying) that of all the countries he could have gone to, he chose Tunisia.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
At least he didn't go to France to buy tanks to kill his own people this time.

End of Spoiler

maese
694th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Monsters of the Goverment" , posted Tue 4 Jun 14:27post reply

quote:

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Chatting about videogames feels somewhat pointless when stuff like this is happening. Easier said than done, bt try to stay safe, Oguz.

However, it's kind of heartwarming to see that there are places in the world where people still has the courage to take the streets and fight for what they think is right. I wish I could say the same of my home country.

kofoguz
1066th Post

"Re(3):Monsters of the Goverment" , posted Tue 4 Jun 20:29post reply

quote:

Chatting about videogames feels somewhat pointless when stuff

Thanks. The protests continues peacefully till the police came. People will camp (me too in Gezi Park. People will sing, dance, lay down, read book and picnic. Still going strong and probably police will come and throw gas bomb. People are marching all over the country for goverment to resign.

Professor
3759th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Monsters of the Goverment" , posted Fri 7 Jun 02:40post reply

quote:
Thanks. The protests continues peacefully till the police came. People will camp (me too in Gezi Park. People will sing, dance, lay down, read book and picnic. Still going strong and probably police will come and throw gas bomb. People are marching all over the country for goverment to resign.

I hope things are holding up for you Kofguz. The protest has made top headlines here too, finally.

kofoguz
1068th Post

"Re(5):Monsters of the Goverment" , posted Fri 7 Jun 07:13post reply

quote:
I hope things are holding up for you Kofguz. The protest has made top headlines here too, finally.

Thanks, everyone who are concerned with my safety. I was in Gezi Park yesterday. Today rest with my friends I'm thinking going there tomorrow. Btw Prime minister dictator wannabe came back to the land and say something which doesnt look like an apology quoting "We already said our sorrow for what happened" ( no he didn't say his sorrow before) and still says he will do that mall. But because of that market crashes. And now because of him wealthy lose money, too. Or something llike that Im not expert on how economics works.

Iggy
9545th Post

"Re(6):Monsters of the Goverment" , posted Fri 7 Jun 07:35post reply

quote:
But because of that market crashes. And now because of him wealthy lose money, too. Or something llike that Im not expert on how economics works.

Probably the wallet is the biggest weak point...
What's the wealth of Turkey? I believe it's a modern, open western economy?
I'm asking because what happened in Tunisia, Algeria or Lybia was that since most of the wealth was oil, such issues were irrelevant to the wealth of businessmen. It was only when it was obvious that the current dictator was not in position to reliably give oil to his foreign friends that they let him fall... So hopefully the situation in Turkey might end up better.

But then with NATO and Syria you never know. Bestest hope for everyone there. Take care.

karasu99
1144th Post

"Re(7):Monsters of the Goverment" , posted Fri 7 Jun 07:44post reply

quote:
But because of that market crashes. And now because of him wealthy lose money, too. Or something llike that Im not expert on how economics works.

Probably the wallet is the biggest weak point...
What's the wealth of Turkey? I believe it's a modern, open western economy?
I'm asking because what happened in Tunisia, Algeria or Lybia was that since most of the wealth was oil, such issues were irrelevant to the wealth of businessmen. It was only when it was obvious that the current dictator was not in position to reliably give oil to his foreign friends that they let him fall... So hopefully the situation in Turkey might end up better.

But then with NATO and Syria you never know. Bestest hope for everyone there. Take care.

I'm sure that a big part of Turkey's economy involves tourism, and I can't imagine many people look at Istanbul being in the midst of protests and say "I have to travel there now, it will be fine". With that in mind, Oguz, shut the place down! In the long run when tourism drops to a tiny fraction of what's normal, the government will definitely take notice!

I've been gratified to see a lot of people on Facebook have been posting regularly with news from Turkey. That way the news is not passing so quickly from everyone's perceptions.

I'm glad you're well Oguz! We're all behind you!

www.secret-arts.com

kofoguz
1071th Post

"Re(8):Monsters of the Goverment" , posted Mon 17 Jun 00:55post reply

quote:
I'm glad you're well Oguz! We're all behind you!

Ok, thing went deep shit over the time. at first Taksim was peaceful. The Mayor talked with some youngsters..etc etc. But it was all for stunt. Cause yesterday night, police attacked on people because today the dictator need to put on a show over a meeting. Today I'm in Adana but I heard that they closed the bridges the boats and metro to prevent people come to Taksim.
And last night in the attack they didnt mind the children over there. People tried to escape so they get in to a nearby hotel. Police throw and shot teargas to the hotel, and they tried to arrest people (interesting detail those police doesnt have helmet numbers). Hotel also used as ER by the volunteered doctors for the injured public, but that doesnt stopped them. Heck they even used water attack into the one of the hospitals!

Just now one of my cousin (who is a veteran police) just warned me. "I dont want any harm to come to you so stop sharing things in facebook!" he said. I heard two of my cousins sons (almost my age) has arrested for one night. It is now very clear that the guy (PM) is a dictator.Do not let anybody forget that.
Also last week they arrested dosen of lawyers who prevent their lawlessness. Today I heard that they started to arrest some of the volunteered doctors. Things are very bad now in Turkiye. I'm safe for now. Hope things get better for our country and we get rid of the dictator.

Oh by the way "WTF" moment of the year! Every dictator had their worshippers.

Basically woman says we are (or "I am" cant hear that well)butt hair of Erdoğan!

karasu99
1154th Post

"Re(9):Monsters of the Goverment" , posted Mon 17 Jun 01:48post reply

quote:

Oh by the way "WTF" moment

That's... wow, yeah that's pretty strange!

I saw this just now, which reminded me of you, and then I was happy to see you had posted an update! If I had known there was a game jam I would have participated! Maybe I still will even though the jam's finished!

www.secret-arts.com

kofoguz
1072th Post

"My beautiful Halk of this country!" , posted Tue 18 Jun 09:10post reply

A bit old but we stand tall

Also please search "duranadam" on google and twitter :)

Professor
3776th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):My beautiful Halk of this country!" , posted Wed 19 Jun 20:04:post reply

How is everything holding for you Kofoguz? Hope you're doing safe. The media coverage here has gotten smaller but I know what's continuing there-- this is nuts.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 19 Jun 20:59]