Original message (2081 Views )

GekigangerV
1809th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5
Wii: n/a

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Anyone else into the fan made novelty Tshirt?" , posted Mon 4 Feb 14:37post reply

I have to say that historically my T-shirt selection in my wardrobe has been fairly limited. I have been a Polo shirt guy for most of my life and any T-shirt I would have would be fairly plain. However, recently I have been on a mini shopping spree of sorts on limited edition fan made t-shirts.

Some sites I use are
teefury.com
qwertee.com
theyetee.com
shirtpunch.com
shirt.woot.com

and shirtoid.com is a fairly good source that groups many of these sites together.

My recent purchases started off with a Usagi Yojimbo shirt that I could not pass up since official Usagi merchandise is fairly nonexistent.

Since then I have gotten a Punch Out/Rock'em Sock'Em Robots homage, a Ghost and Goblins shirt and I recently got this Mario/Ghostbusters cross over for my brother.

I know they aren't the flashiest or most stylish designs and I wear them when I am out doing errands, but it is nice to have stuff where official merchandise is not available and the price isn't too bad for a limited edition shirt.

I know stores like Hot Topic sell official licensed merchandise, but are usually just copy and paste of logos or character portraits. And of course the price isn't always too friendly to my wallet.

To be honest I am kind of uneasy about some of the merchandise out there in-terms of unlicensed use of characters. There seems to be a fine line between parody and copyright infringement. Sometimes there are shirts out there that sell the idea of its parody like Brokentier's "Tiger" shirt but then they have their Rocket Raccoon shirt which clearly uses Marvel's character in a parody pose of SMB3.

Then you have bullshit like http://shop.eternalrival.com/ that clearly either drew over sprites or in a couple of cases took official artwork and used that. They clearly took SvC Bison and pasted it on a shirt.

I guess as long as you can claim parody you are safe, but I wonder how long that can really last as these type of sites have exploded in popularity it would seem.

I hope that big companies pay attention to some of the themes these T-shirts use as I think many people don't want a shirt with a Logo or promotional art pasted on it, but a shirt that kind of stands on its own.

Replies:

Digitalboy
768th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: JestingGenie99(automatednamecreatedbyXBL)

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Anyone else into the fan made novelty T" , posted Mon 4 Feb 14:51post reply

I definitely am.

Unfortunately, the only website I know of is:

meatbun.us

Which is another bastardize version of shop.eternalrival.com.

Thanks for sharing those links. I will have to get more t-shirts now.

quote:
I have to say that historically my T-shirt selection in my wardrobe has been fairly limited. I have been a Polo shirt guy for most of my life and any T-shirt I would have would be fairly plain. However, recently I have been on a mini shopping spree of sorts on limited edition fan made t-shirts.

Some sites I use are
teefury.com
qwertee.com
theyetee.com
shirtpunch.com
shirt.woot.com

and shirtoid.com is a fairly good source that groups many of these sites together.

My recent purchases started off with a Usagi Yojimbo shirt that I could not pass up since official Usagi merchandise is fairly nonexistent.

Since then I have gotten a Punch Out/Rock'em Sock'Em Robots homage, a Ghost and Goblins shirt and I recently got this Mario/Ghostbusters cross over for my brother.

I know they aren't the flashiest or most stylish designs and I wear them when I am out doing errands, but it is nice to have stuff where official merchandise is not available and the price isn't too bad for a limited edition shirt.

I know stores like Hot Topic sell official licensed merchandise, but are usually just copy and paste of logos or character portraits. And of course the price isn't always too friendly to my wallet.

To be honest I am kind of u

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Pollyanna
3383th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine
XBL: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Anyone else into the fan made novelty T" , posted Mon 4 Feb 15:26:post reply

I thought the Meatbun Demon's Souls stuff was cute, but I didn't actually buy anything.

I don't know if I would wear any of these myself, but I sure had fun looking at all the designs on Shirtoid.

EDIT: Wow, they have enough Mucha parody shirts to make like...a whole wardrobe. I love Mucha, but not...quite in that way.

I've picked up a few things like this in the past, but they were (incidentally) all official.

Like, I grabbed a few of Uniqlo's Shonen Sunday shirts for around the house, and I have a few Cospa designs as well (Monster Hunter, Hokuto no Ken). The only "merchandise" that I would fill my wardrobe with and wear shamelessly is fromThe Dorohedoro line here. Still, it's costly to import, especially when I can't guarantee that it'll fit right.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Mon 4 Feb 15:29]

Professor
3652th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Anyone else into the fan made novelty T" , posted Mon 4 Feb 19:52:post reply

quote:

Some sites I use are
teefury.com
qwertee.com
theyetee.com
shirtpunch.com
shirt.woot.com

Some of these T-shirt sites are deliciously nice! I've never really thought about original shirts, but some of Teefury's designs are quite extraordinary.

Some of them look like they can get hit by Nintendo and Procter & Gamble but still gives quite a laugh, while others have enough ambiguity that people might not even notice it's game related. Thanks for pointing them out!

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 4 Feb 19:56]

Iggy
9427th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Anyone else into the fan made novelty T" , posted Tue 5 Feb 07:46post reply

I wear such tshirts almost every day at work, and I was thinking I should stop buying those... Oh well, let's say I'll stop buying them in 2014.

In a videogame series, I like this Threadless one quite a bit.

Gieflos
90th Post

PSN: pooplos-z
XBL: PooplosZ

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Anyone else into the fan made novelty T" , posted Tue 5 Feb 09:21post reply

This has been a favorite of mine recently.

Loona
676th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Anyone else into the fan made novelty T" , posted Tue 5 Feb 14:22post reply

The annoying thing about these is that the lawyer-dodging makes it impossible for them to create categories or tags to make it easier to search for something - can't find any SNK-ish tees at a glance, and searching means going through archives of hundreds...
I think Brokentier and a Terry-ish once, but I didn't like the design, and they seem to get rid of old designs as time goes by, maybe because of the extra attention that comes with having ads on the SRK front page...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

shindekudasai
412th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Anyone else into the fan made novelty T" , posted Thu 7 Feb 05:56post reply

Someone already mentioned shirt.woot and teefury, so I wasn't gonna chime in, but just found a new one I'd like to share: $6 Shirts

Burning Ranger
1726th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Anyone else into the fan made novelty T" , posted Fri 8 Feb 11:07post reply

quote:
This has been a favorite of mine recently.

I probably have 20+ T-shirts, so I've been avoiding buying more recently. (Also, with my focus on working out, I may want to hold off until I'm confident I can fit in a smaller shirt size). Though, I do want Meatbun's Daytonabot shirt and Eternal Rival's Terry Bogard/Buster Wolf shirt.

Other than these, I generally won't buy a novelty shirt unless I find it really clever or if it tugs on the strings of my nerdy heart. Examples include a Captain Morgan-style shirt with Captain Kirk, and a Monty Python shirt featuring The Beast of Caerbannog. Also, shirts from Sharpshirter and Stag Austin.

So much to do so little time...