Original message (1819 Views )

Nobinobita
1117th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"War, Peace and Pokemon" , posted Tue 29 Jan 16:11:post reply

Hello hello,

There's a new article up on Art-Eater!

The World We Must Defend! War, Peace & Pokemon!

This one was written by my bro (as in actual brother in real life) Andy, a certified Pokemon expert (a few years ago he helped create the "Anime Artists Workshop" at the Smithsonian and engaged a lot of kids and parents by showing them the mythological and historical inspirations for various Pokemon with examples right there in the Museum). I think it's one of the best things we've posted yet.

I'm not sure if there are many Pokemon fans in the cafe, but I hope you'll take a look regardless. Andy has some great insights into the themes that run through one of the most popular game franchises ever. And they're surprisingly deep!

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by Nobinobita on Tue 29 Jan 16:12]

Replies:

Loona
671th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):War, Peace and Pokemon" , posted Tue 29 Jan 19:47post reply

quote:
Hello hello,

This one was written by my bro (as in actual brother in real life) Andy, a certified Pokemon expert (a few years ago he helped create the "Anime Artists Workshop" at the Smithsonian and engaged a lot of kids and parents by showing them the mythological and historical inspirations for various Pokemon with examples right there in the Museum). I think it's one of the best things we've posted yet.

I'm not sure if there are many Pokemon fans in the cafe, but I hope you'll take a look regardless. Andy has some great insights into the themes that run through one of the most popular game franchises ever. And they're surprisingly deep!

Good stuff - I never played any of the games, so I've been completely unaware of any themes beyond harnessing forces of nature against each other for entertainment and occasionally having them generally weaponized.

It would have been interesting to see the crossover with Nobunaga's Ambition addressed, but maybe that one duplicates themes from one of the previous games?

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

kofoguz
1026th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):War, Peace and Pokemon" , posted Tue 29 Jan 23:35post reply

quote:
Hello hello,

God stuff, fan of your blog and waiting for more. Though I didnt play the games it's interesting to know where creators are coming. from.

Nekros
530th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):War, Peace and Pokemon" , posted Wed 30 Jan 01:14post reply

quote:
Hello hello,

I'm not a fan of the Pokemon franchise but tend to enjoy the games a lot. Great work from your brother, I didn't know the Smithsonian event was from him: it was a great effort and I ammire it sincerely.
The article is also interesting and enjoyable even if you aren't into Pokemon. I don't know if was on purpose but the title of the article quotes the final line of the first American opening of Chinpokomon Pokemon "...in a world we must defend!".

Iggy
9423th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):War, Peace and Pokemon" , posted Wed 30 Jan 06:14post reply

Great write-up! To be honest, I was expecting the worst, but it was to the point, straight, and neat, without fanfiction or baseless extrapolations.
Looking forward to reading his writing about XY!

Nobinobita
1117th Post

"Re(2):War, Peace and Pokemon" , posted Wed 30 Jan 08:38post reply

quote:
Great write-up! To be honest, I was expecting the worst, but it was to the point, straight, and neat, without fanfiction or baseless extrapolations.
Looking forward to reading his writing about XY!

Thanks! Yeah we both strive to be straightforward. No fluff. I try to respect what each creator brings to the table rather than interjecting my own personal history into it.

Andy's a much better writer than I am about this. He's far more succinct.

Thanks so much for your kind words!

www.art-eater.com

Nobinobita
1118th Post

"Re(2):War, Peace and Pokemon" , posted Wed 30 Jan 09:13post reply

quote:

It would have been interesting to see the crossover with Nobunaga's Ambition addressed, but maybe that one duplicates themes from one of the previous games?

Yeah that game's pretty thematically consistent with the main games.

www.art-eater.com

Nobinobita
1119th Post

"Re(2):War, Peace and Pokemon" , posted Wed 30 Jan 09:15post reply

quote:
God stuff, fan of your blog and waiting for more. Though I didnt play the games it's interesting to know where creators are coming. from.

Thanks! I thought it was an interesting read even if you've never played or watched Pokemon.

quote:
I'm not a fan of the Pokemon franchise but tend to enjoy the games a lot. Great work from your brother, I didn't know the Smithsonian event was from him: it was a great effort and I ammire it sincerely.
The article is also interesting and enjoyable even if you aren't into Pokemon. I don't know if was on purpose but the title of the article quotes the final line of the first American opening of Chinpokomon Pokemon "...in a world we must defend!".

Cool, are you from the DC area? Did you ever get a chance to see the Anime Artists Workshop? I volunteered there a few times in the past.

And yeah the title is from the theme song. :D

www.art-eater.com

Nekros
531th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):War, Peace and Pokemon" , posted Thu 31 Jan 00:37post reply

quote:

Cool, are you from the DC area? Did you ever get a chance to see the Anime Artists Workshop? I volunteered there a few times in the past.

Nope, I'm Italian and live in Italy. But know something about workshops, conventions, initiatives Stateside and abroad in general. Since I really like videogames I tend to collect as many info as possibile especially not limited to my country (that doesn't offer that much, in many regards).

Nekros
531th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):War, Peace and Pokemon" , posted Thu 31 Jan 00:37post reply

quote:

Nope, I'm Italian and live in Italy. But know something about workshops, conventions, initiatives Stateside and abroad in general. Since I really like videogames I tend to collect as many info as possibile especially not limited to my country (that doesn't offer that much, in many regards).

GekigangerV
1808th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5
Wii: n/a

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):War, Peace and Pokemon" , posted Sun 3 Feb 05:53post reply

Wow, really nice article. I only played Red/Blue so I am was not familiar with the later villains and their goals. I am really shocked sometimes when I see the themes Nintendo puts into their character designs. I recently got the Hyrule Historia Zelda book and I can't believe the stuff that flew over my head like the design of the Skyloft inhabitants were based on birds.

Nobinobita
1123th Post

"Re(5):War, Peace and Pokemon" , posted Sun 3 Feb 14:18:post reply

quote:
Wow, really nice article. I only played Red/Blue so I am was not familiar with the later villains and their goals. I am really shocked sometimes when I see the themes Nintendo puts into their character designs. I recently got the Hyrule Historia Zelda book and I can't believe the stuff that flew over my head like the design of the Skyloft inhabitants were based on birds.

Yeah, I feel like the games with the most truly interesting and thoughtful art don't tend to be the ones that call themselves out on it. Nowadays lots of games pretty much scream "look at me! I'm artistic!" but lots of the really interesting stuff doesn't get the attention it deserves gosh darnit. That's what drives me to keep up my blog.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by Nobinobita on Sun 3 Feb 14:21]

Nobinobita
1123th Post

"Re(4):War, Peace and Pokemon" , posted Sun 3 Feb 14:23post reply

quote:

Buongiorno! You must really know your stuff. I didn't think the Smithsonian program was internationally known.

www.art-eater.com

Iggy
9425th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(6):War, Peace and Pokemon" , posted Sun 3 Feb 20:34post reply

quote:
Nowadays lots of games pretty much scream "look at me! I'm artistic!" but lots of the really interesting stuff doesn't get the attention it deserves gosh darnit.

Speaking of which (sorry for the OT), have you heard about that game called Closure (I bought it on Steam recently, it's probably on one or two home consoles too). It's (again) a puzzle-platformer kind of game, but the puzzle mechanic is centered about sources of light. The whole game is black/white, with a very interesting art direction build around that simple concept. I really liked the fact that all felt coherent : gameplay, visual aspect, progression, everything is based about light/dark, and what "dark" really means or feel like. The game didn't get a lot of recognition, but it's a very interesting experience.