Japan Trip Winter 2012! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1983 Views )

nobinobita
1107th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Japan Trip Winter 2012 (MMCafe Japan meetup?)" , posted Wed 31 Oct 18:28:post reply

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I will be traveling to Japan in the first week of December! I'll be in Tokyo during the weekdays. If anyone would like to hang out, get some lunch, grab a drink etc, let me know, it's always been my pleasure to meet MMCafe folk in person.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Wed 31 Oct 18:37]

Replies:

nobinobita
1106th Post

"Re(1):Japan Trip Winter 2012!" , posted Wed 31 Oct 18:36post reply

I would also really appreciate any advice with the following:

What's the best way to get a temporary mobile Phone in Japan with a data plan and GPS? I'm told it's exceptionally expensive to get the phones at the airport. Right now the best website I've come across is this:

http://www.cellularabroad.com/japanRcell.php

Do you know of any cool upcoming shows or events?

I really wanted to see the Otomo Genga exhibit:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/04/09/a-look-inside-the-katsuhiro-otomo-genga-exhibition

And the Ghibli Tokusatsu Exhibition:
http://www.ntv.co.jp/tokusatsu/english.html

... but unfortunately both have come to an end already. Anything along those lines would be great! Actually, it doesn't even have to be Otaku-ish, I'm open to anything you think might be cool.

If you have any other tips or recommendations, please let me know.

Thanks!

www.art-eater.com

Maou
2388th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Japan Trip Winter 2012!" , posted Thu 1 Nov 00:51:post reply

Excellent. I knew we would swing our next Cafe meetup soon, I just didn't know it would be this soon! If you can do without GPS (hard, I know), Rentafone Japan is good people, they have phone/text/internet available, and they'll even deliver it to your home abroad for a negligible amount of money. If you happen to be flying on ANA, they'll set you up with a free rental phone as well.

I mean besides that we're probably going to be playing pinball all day in Takadanobaba like it's 1973 (ha!), and maybe eating most (all) of the time, so get ready.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 1 Nov 20:05]

Zepy
1604th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Japan Trip Winter 2012!" , posted Thu 1 Nov 03:58post reply

If you have an iphone you can rent a sim card from softbank at the airport, they're pretty cheap. Their data rate on the iphone sim is pretty expensive (1500 yen per day with unlimited data) but you can choose the days when you want to activate the service.

You can also rent a portable 3G router with unlimited data from a different carrier, think it was 800 yen a day or something.

Buy some Tokyo Banana. Everybody that goes to Tokyo will buy it.

Professor
3593th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Japan Trip Winter 2012!" , posted Thu 1 Nov 05:08:post reply

quote:

What is it with Tokyo Banana! It's like, everywhere

Zepy's advice is relatively sound-- renting a sim or a cell at the airport is the most convenient method. Other than that, if you're staying at a good hotel they usually rent out cells.

Dec week 1 is like right between doujin events so that's unfortunately out, but there's always plenty to see in Tokyo, Namco Nanja Town for example. It depends on how often you've traveled here in the past, but 5 days can end up being pretty short. The new Blazblue should be out by then as well.

We can have a grab to eat, do a drawing jam session or something maybe!

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 1 Nov 05:10]

chazumaru
954th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5):Japan Trip Winter 2012!" , posted Fri 2 Nov 01:37post reply

Are you sure you need a phone, though?

A friend of mine got a Pocket Wi-Fi in Narita during his trip to TGS and it was extremely convenient for the price it cost him. If you already have a smartphone/iPad/notebook/console with Wi-Fi, getting access to Wi-Fi anywhere in Tokyo might be enough to cover your communication needs.

The Tokusatsu expo was amazing! I am sorry you missed it. I would recommend any expo currently showing at the Mori Art Museum in Roppongi Hills. It's usually excellent stuff.

78… 78… 絵札はさすらい ♪ 78… 78… 秩序は廻る ♪ 78… 78… 絵札はさすらい ♪ 78… 78… 未来を示す

KTallguy
1445th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):Japan Trip Winter 2012!" , posted Fri 2 Nov 04:58post reply

quote:

What is it with Tokyo Banana! It's like, everywhere

God omiyage is such a huge junkfood business. :P

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Nobinobita
1107th Post

"Re(6):Japan Trip Winter 2012!" , posted Sat 3 Nov 03:37post reply

quote:
Are you sure you need a phone, though?

A friend of mine got a Pocket Wi-Fi in Narita during his trip to TGS and it was extremely convenient for the price it cost him. If you already have a smartphone/iPad/notebook/console with Wi-Fi, getting access to Wi-Fi anywhere in Tokyo might be enough to cover your communication needs.

The Tokusatsu expo was amazing! I am sorry you missed it. I would recommend any expo currently showing at the Mori Art Museum in Roppongi Hills. It's usually excellent stuff.

Thanks a million for all the tips! Mori Art Museum looks amazing. Exactly up my ally.

I'm leaning towards renting a wi-fi hotspot at the moment since it'll allow me to use google maps and I can just make Skype calls with it. I have the direction sense of Ryoga from Ranma, so GPS will be essential for me to get around.

If you're interested in meeting up please email me at:

Richmondlee at jee male dott commm

And let me know here to look out for your email in case it's caught by my spam filter.

Look forward to meeting some more Cafe members. Oh, and if there's anything you miss from the states let me know, I might be able to pick it up for you (for instance, Candy Corn for the Professor :D)

www.art-eater.com

Professor
3605th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Japan Trip Winter 2012!" , posted Fri 9 Nov 18:33post reply

quote:

And let me know here to look out for your email in case it's caught by my spam filter.

I've hit you-- can you tell me if it ended up as Spaaam or if it went through? Would be interesting to know, thx!