So the time comes for Darkstalkers R Not Dead - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3627 Views )

kofoguz
1004th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member

"So the time comes for Darkstalkers R Not Dead" , posted Fri 12 Oct 11:40:post reply

So Ono revealed this first I understand;
Darkstalkers: Resurrection/ Trailer

Coming out early 2013 (take that Mayans), it has all the contents in it. Arcade port of all three of the games. Online. Unlockables. And blackmailing the fans if they want to see the Darkstalkers not dead.

According to this Link There was a SFIV style animation trailer. In past (my never ending naive years)I might have thought and said 4's graphics might suit darkstalkers (that was before I saw nobi's art-eater blog entry to be reminded how beatiful the magic of the game and the main source of it was beatiful 2D animation)I'm not so sure anymore.
If the blackmail works, let the eternal dilemma of us to desire to see our undeads/monsters to be alive and kicking and our regret to see their magic to be abused, begin.

EDIT: Interesting

[this message was edited by kofoguz on Fri 12 Oct 12:05]

Replies:

Pollyanna
3313th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):So the time comes for Darkstalkers R No" , posted Fri 12 Oct 17:33post reply

This is obnoxious, since we've already had several home ports with the advantage of not having the Savior/Savior 2/Hunter 2 split. Having bought 3 of those (two with more games included), this is a bit of a hard sell. Playing online and with a joystick is nice, but it's hard for me to be excited.

As for a real sequel, I was totally expecting an announcement, so I'm a bit surprised that it's still a "maybe". I had heard numerous rumors that Capcom was working on some fighting game, so now I'm curious as to if that meant anything.

On a somewhat related note, I loved their new SFxT trailer, which almost tricked my simple mind into forgetting that I had long since lost interest in the game.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Loona
640th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):So the time comes for Darkstalkers R No" , posted Fri 12 Oct 18:59post reply

quote:
Coming out early 2013 (take that Mayans), it has all the contents in it.

It's the 2nd and 3rd games, which isn't bad, but I'd prefer a version with all the characters put together plus Dee (and MSH Anita adapted to the system would be nice too, but this is Capcomese for "crazy talk").

The trailer for the hypothetical 4th game does fit the undead theme nicely, and it's kinda surprising they didn't use Morrigan or any of the girls for once.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

kofoguz
1004th Post

"Re(2):So the time comes for Darkstalkers R No" , posted Fri 12 Oct 20:17post reply

quote:
This is obnoxious, since we've already had several home ports with the advantage of not having the Savior/Savior 2/Hunter 2 split. Having bought 3 of those (two with more games included), this is a bit of a hard sell. Playing online and with a joystick is nice, but it's hard for me to be excited.

I really liked a comment on the Resurrection's youtube trailer. "I guess Capcom needed to whore out Morrigan's sprite one last time" LOL I hardly think this is the last time. I am almost sure we'll see a Wii U version. I also wonder what fighters we will see on Wii U. TTT2 is making me optimistic me about the future list.
Anyway for the new game they say Capcom didnt greenlit the project but Ono worked on this anyway. Is this possible or is this a way to sell the resurrection?

Loona
641th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):So the time comes for Darkstalkers R No" , posted Fri 12 Oct 22:02post reply

quote:

Anyway for the new game they say Capcom didnt greenlit the project but Ono worked on this anyway. Is this possible or is this a way to sell the resurrection?

The classic porcess is to use the re-releases to help fund the proper sequel, but considering they already got people working on assests for that trailer, it sort of feels like "kidnapping" ("pay for these games again if you want to see the new one, even if we're already working on it anyway!") - then again, maybe they just want to use those re-release sales to help measure how much they'll actually invest in the new game, while marketing it as an underdog that needs indirect fan support (by buying something else) to see the light of day.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Ishmael
4469th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Dirty Beret is not Dead" , posted Fri 12 Oct 23:27post reply

quote:
The classic porcess is to use the re-releases to help fund the proper sequel, but considering they already got people working on assests for that trailer, it sort of feels like "kidnapping" ("pay for these games again if you want to see the new one, even if we're already working on it anyway!") - then again, maybe they just want to use those re-release sales to help measure how much they'll actually invest in the new game, while marketing it as an underdog that needs indirect fan support (by buying something else) to see the light of day.

Companies have altered or dropped projects all the time so while there may be work being done on DS4 today it could just as easily be written off as a loss tomorrow. Still, I'm hoping that things will work out since I would love to see a new Vampire game. Even though DS4 has yet to be made I already know it won't be as good as VS but nothing will ever be as good as VS so that's to be expected.

I must say that I liked the teaser trailer. The mix of both rigor mortis and energy in zombie Sid Vicious was really well done. Demitri looked a bit ridiculous but he's always looked a bit ridiculous so it's good to see him staying in character. Here's to hoping that we someday get a new version of the Fetus of God stage.

quote:
On a somewhat related note, I loved their new SFxT trailer, which almost tricked my simple mind into forgetting that I had long since lost interest in the game.

I found it charming that they tried to sell the patch as some sort of super-awesome update. But whether anyone is going to be as hyped for this patch as the people who make the trailers has yet to be seen.

KTallguy
1435th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Dirty Beret is not Dead" , posted Sat 13 Oct 02:01post reply

I may buy the PSN version just so I can play it with people... it's hard when all I have is the Saturn version.

And if there is some pie in the sky hope that DarkStalkers 4 (5?) can come out, well I guess fueling that isn't a horrible idea.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

kofoguz
1005th Post

"Re(1):Dirty Beret is not Dead" , posted Sun 14 Oct 04:51post reply

quote:
Companies have altered or dropped projects all the time so while there may be work being done on DS4 today it could just as easily be written off as a loss tomorrow. Still, I'm hoping that things will work out since I would love to see a new Vampire game. Even though DS4 has yet to be made I already know it won't be as good as VS but nothing will ever be as good as VS so that's to be expected.

Speaking of altering, recently I finished Okamii Wii edition, and I saw some bonus content that made me realize it is altered and some towns are not used. In my dream world they bundle Okami and Okamiden HD WiiU edition, using some canceled elements to be added. But thats another daydreaming subject.

Nekros
510th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Dirty Beret is not Dead" , posted Sun 14 Oct 15:52post reply

Will buy the game....but is terribly lazy and stupid. One version of Hunter with the alternate bg and music like the Sat version would be nice, as well a "Savior mix" including all the variations and a system direction to play the game as you wish (yes, even with Bishamon infinite).
Sadly we'll end up having nothing....too bad it's not a new game because the CG trailer is very good.

I don't think with a lazy port like this Capcom would approve a new game, I feel it will bomb hardly, especially if priced more than 10 dollars.

mbisonhatclub
529th Post

PSN: hadoolket

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Dirty Beret is not Dead" , posted Mon 15 Oct 05:57post reply

quote:
Will buy the game....but is terribly lazy and stupid. One version of Hunter with the alternate bg and music like the Sat version would be nice, as well a "Savior mix"...
Hold that thought. The Unlimited Match games were really neat for being "megamix" (and then there's Fighter's Megamix) titles, so I'm having trouble swallowing why Capcom can't do the same thing with their higher funds than SNK has to things like the Marvel vs series of games as well as Vampire series. They did it a couple times in a sense with the SF Anniversary Collection by letting you select versions of characters between the five SF2 games. And the vs series sprite designs are pretty consistent enough that they can blend in with each other quite easily.

I'm not saying Unlimited Match games were super balanced, but if we have to use MUGEN in order to get a less lazy product than Capcom shits out, then why pay for anything Capcom shits out? My money's on getting something for free over a lazy product for dosh it didn't earn, and my philosophy is pretty close to Denis Leary in that if you aren't crying blood in your work, you don't deserve the money that you get paid.

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Iggy
9394th Post

"Re(4):Dirty Beret is not Dead" , posted Mon 15 Oct 06:30:post reply

These online games are outsourced. Nobody who actually work on these games is from Capcom, so they will never be allowed to add anything or change anything by the Japanese management of Capcom. And yes, that includes adding Pyron or Phobos to Savior 1.
By the way, adding Jedah&co to Hunter wouldn't look good, because of the difference of animation (Hunter 1 has a different pace and some more detailed animations than Savior 1. Animation frames have been cut out from returning characters in Savior 1).

Moreover, this studio has been merely hired to slap online to theses games, and no one is going to maintain a server for Vampire 1, Hunter 2 or Savior 2. It's already amazing they remembered Hunter 1 was actually good, or that they didn't pick Savior 2.
Now, as for the reason why they didn't pick a later, definite edition, that's everyone's guess (like the one for... DC I think, with variations of the characters through the 5 games, including tentative ones like "what would have Buletta played like if she had been in Vampire 1).
It's not like Hunter 1 or Savior 1 have amazing balance to begin with, or that they have cult following on par with 3rd Strike.

Long story short: only buy this if you want to play Hunter 1 or Savior 1 online, or buy the PS2 compilation to own the definite version of Vampire, including Dee-wackiness.

Oh, and I forget: are we getting more AMAZING artwork by some 3rd-grade american artist to replace the outdated Bengus artwork this time again? Because that would really help sell the game more, see?

[this message was edited by Iggy on Mon 15 Oct 06:33]

Pollyanna
3316th Post

"Re(5):Dirty Beret is not Dead" , posted Mon 15 Oct 08:57post reply

quote:
These online games are outsourced. Nobody who actually work on these games is from Capcom, so they will never be allowed to add anything or change anything by the Japanese management of Capcom.

Seeing as they noted that the game hasn't been announced for Japanese release makes me wonder if this initiative wasn't completely from Capcom USA in the first place. I feel sorry for those guys,continually having to make excuses for their Japanese "mother company."

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Nekros
511th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Dirty Beret is not Dead" , posted Mon 15 Oct 14:34post reply

quote:
Will buy the game....but is terribly lazy and stupid. One version of Hunter with the alternate bg and music like the Sat version would be nice, as well a "Savior mix"...Hold that thought. The Unlimited Match games were really neat for being "megamix" (and then there's Fighter's Megamix) titles, so I'm having trouble swallowing why Capcom can't do the same thing with their higher funds than SNK has to things like the Marvel vs series of games as well as Vampire series. They did it a couple times in a sense with the SF Anniversary Collection by letting you select versions of characters between the five SF2 games. And the vs series sprite designs are pretty consistent enough that they can blend in with each other quite easily.

I'm not saying Unlimited Match games were super balanced, but if we have to use MUGEN in order to get a less lazy product than Capcom shits out

Actually, Capcom itself has done better with that. Vampire Chronicles is basically what Hyper SF2 is for the Vampire series. The fantastic PS2 collection even lets you choose which arcade version (even the early builds) you want to play. Why don't port that adding online gameplay is a mystery to me as well as they not use the Saturn VS which includes all the characters and has tweaks from Savior 2 aswell.

@ Iggy: I think artwork will include for the major part sketches and early design of the characters, so probabily a reduced version of the gallery included in the PS2 collection, nothing new.

Gojira
2882th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(5):Dirty Beret is not Dead" , posted Tue 16 Oct 04:44post reply

quote:
These online games are outsourced. Nobody who actually work on these games is from Capcom, so they will never be allowed to add anything or change anything by the Japanese management of Capcom. And yes, that includes adding Pyron or Phobos to Savior 1.
-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Donovan was in the trailer in spite of not being in DS1 or VS1, so they will probably be included.

sibarraz
471th Post

PSN: DefensorVirtuoso

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Dirty Beret is not Dead" , posted Tue 16 Oct 04:59post reply

quote:
-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Donovan was in the trailer in spite of not being in DS1 or VS1, so they will probably be included.

Actually, the game included is VH1, not DS1, so that will explain why donovan appears

That being said, which is the version that is played in tournaments? VS1 or VS2?

nobinobita
1101th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(5):Dirty Beret is not Dead" , posted Tue 16 Oct 05:03:post reply

quote:

Oh, and I forget: are we getting more AMAZING artwork by some 3rd-grade american artist to replace the outdated Bengus artwork this time again?

His name's Stanley Lau aka Art Germ. He's originally from Hong Kong and works out of Singapore I think. He's very respected in North American digital art circles.

http://www.imaginaryfs.com/Artist_profile_Stanley.html

I think his work is generally ok. Like for instance, this is a pretty neat take on Wonder Woman:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7ro4mqg0B1qbujox.jpg

But when I see his Capcom art and compare it to the original, there's just no comparison. He's nowhere near the same league. The best way to expose all your flaws as an artist is to draw some Capcom characters then compare yourself to Bengus.

I just wonder if the average fan can tell the difference. I'm thinking ... probably not.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Tue 16 Oct 05:07]

Iggy
9394th Post

"Re(7):Dirty Beret is not Dead" , posted Tue 16 Oct 05:30post reply

quote:
That being said, which is the version that is played in tournaments? VS1 or VS2?

The two in this compilation, Savior 1 (without Pyron, Donovan and Phobos) and the original Hunter 1 (the first game of Leilei and Donovan). Savior 1 has created a huge rift with a lot of the Hunter 1 fans divorcing the series at that point (that was the time when you had a new good fighting game released every two months or so, they were not missed).
Umehara's Bishamon in both games is a thing of beauty. You cannot respect his Ryu when you've seen his Bishamon.

KTallguy
1437th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(8):Dirty Beret is not Dead" , posted Tue 16 Oct 05:49post reply

quote:
Umehara's Bishamon in both games is a thing of beauty. You cannot respect his Ryu when you've seen his Bishamon.

You're right.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Ishmael
4473th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(9):Dirty Beret is not Dead" , posted Tue 16 Oct 21:39post reply

quote:

You're right.

This is why I'm giddy as a schoolgirl about the news that they are basing the port on the CPS2 versions of the games. I don't want Vampire NeoWave Unlimited Match or whatever crappy mismatch of ideas and sprites they can slap together, I want the games I fell in love with in the arcades.

viparas
16th Post

New Customer

"Annoyed and confused" , posted Sat 20 Oct 10:20post reply

Can anyone tell me why there is a disconnect between the Vampire Hunter cast and the Vampire Savior cast? It's so annoying to find out that finally a chance to play this with people without subjecting them to an emulator arrives and it once against lacks Donovan, Huitzel, Pyron, etc I could be wrong, but were these guys and the secret characters accompanying them not present in the PS1 version of Darkstalkers 3, and the PS2 For-matching-service version? Are they super OP or something and thus Savior is proffered?

SF3: Makoto/Alex/Hugo
SF4: Vega
SSF4: Vega/Makoto

Pollyanna
3325th Post

"Re(1):Annoyed and confused" , posted Sat 20 Oct 10:30post reply

quote:
Can anyone tell me why there is a disconnect between the Vampire Hunter cast and the Vampire Savior cast? It's so annoying to find out that finally a chance to play this with people without subjecting them to an emulator arrives and it once against lacks Donovan, Huitzel, Pyron, etc I could be wrong, but were these guys and the secret characters accompanying them not present in the PS1 version of Darkstalkers 3, and the PS2 For-matching-service version? Are they super OP or something and thus Savior is proffered?

I'm sure someone else can explain this better, but I believe they were initially excluded due to "memory constraints" on the arcade machines. So in this case, having an "arcade perfect" version kind of bites you in the ass. I think Iggy said everything else I would've said on the issue already.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

chazumaru
950th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Annoyed and confused" , posted Sat 20 Oct 16:39:post reply

As Pollyanna wrote, CPS2 boards had memory constraints that Vampire Savior was dangerously toying with; this might also explain why some animation frames were missing.

I would not be surprised if the original VS roster was designed on purpose to miss some characters, as it was par for the course in sequels back then. However, because of the aforementioned memory constraints, Capcom was never able to create an arcade (CPS2) version that included all characters. Hence the releases of Vampire Hunter 2 and Vampire Savior 2.

The maximum ROM size of a SegaSaturn game was pretty much twice as big as the CPS2 board thanks to CD-ROM technology so the problem was solved in the home version (and subsequent ports/adaptations/remakes).

78… 78… 絵札はさすらい ♪ 78… 78… 秩序は廻る ♪ 78… 78… 絵札はさすらい ♪ 78… 78… 未来を示す

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Sun 21 Oct 02:10]

Nekros
513th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Annoyed and confused" , posted Tue 23 Oct 05:15post reply

quote:
As Pollyanna wrote, CPS2 boards had memory constraints that Vampire Savior was dangerously toying with; this might also explain why some animation frames were missing.

I would not be surprised if the original VS roster was designed on purpose to miss some characters, as it was par for the course in sequels back then. However, because of the aforementioned memory constraints, Capcom was never able to create an arcade (CPS2) version that included all characters. Hence the releases of Vampire Hunter 2 and Vampire Savior 2.

The maximum ROM size of a SegaSaturn game was pretty much twice as big as the CPS2 board thanks to CD-ROM technology so the problem was solved in the home version (and subsequent ports/adaptations/remakes).

Please also note that Donovan, Phobos and Pyron are the only characters who actually die in the Hunter storyline... in Savior only Victor actually dies (Lei-Lei reincarnate) and the inclusion of the Hunter missing characters is explained with a what if for Pyron, Phobos being another robot that befriends a child and Donovan being a lucid dream of Anita.